Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Snapshots ❯ Chapter six ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Argh, this wasn't suppose to be so long. *eyes it warily* It was suppose to be much shorter. My muses are gonna be the death of me. This chapter ties in with Life's Journey: Learning to Live and contains spoilers for future chapters. We know so little about Sakumo and Kakashi's mother. And in no way, shape or form is Tamanazi Akina Kakashi's mother! Incest is one of the very few things I can't read.

I also think that there will only be one or two more chapters of Snapshots. This is...number six? Eight is a good number. I want to get this series finished and focus more on my other three in progress stories. Aruhi no Hakkyou will most likely have a second chapter, just not yet. A New Beginning, Thalassa's Story and Life's Journey rank higher on my To Do list.

Naruto is property of Kishimoto and the OCs are my mine.

-----------------


"You know, my mother was in love with your father."

His wife's voice floats through the still summer air, causing him to freeze in mid-motion and he jerks his head around to stare at the red head resting next to his thigh. Iruka muffling a snicker even as he shifts, his head pillowed on Kakashi's stomach.

"What?"

"I said: My mother was in love with your father."

Even though he can't see her face very well, he can hear the rolling eyes in her voice. "I heard you the first time."

"Then why....oh never mind, this is you I'm talking about."

Iruka finally loses control and rolls onto his side as the laughter erupts, his entire body shaking from the force.

Kakashi inhales deeply, closing his eyes and does his best to ignore the sound even as it makes him feel warm and happy. Contentment flowing through him as he and his lovers enjoy the warm summer day; they having decided to spend time alone with one another away from the rest of the village. His hand locates the long braid of hair he was toying with and resumes unraveling the dark red strands, running his fingers through to remove any tangles. The urge to know what she meant with those words causing him to give in and ask.

"How do you know that our parents had been in love?"

"Mother told me." Haya's voice is soft and gentle, allowing him this show of affection, her eyes open and gazing up at the endless blue sky spreading above them. Iruka falling mute to listen.

"Your mother died fighting the Kyubi and you were in the village itself, helping to evacuate civilians." How in the hell can you find that out when there was miles between you?

She never removes her attention from the clouds floating above, voice still containing a peaceful quality. "She had written me a letter. It was started when she was pregnant with me. Mother did the same for Miharu." Are you really a genius? You clearly aren't using your brain today.

Reaching out, Kakashi pulls Iruka back in, running his free hand through his husband's unbound hair idly. "If they were in love, why didn't they end up together?" Yes I am a genius and I'll prove it to you, so take that.

"They had responsibilities that kept them apart. Your father was betrothed to another. Mother felt responsible for Father, whom she did love; he only really knew the clan and never regained his memories prior to Mother finding him. In her letter, she mentioned that the family kept pushing her to stop worrying about duty and having heirs and not let the man she loved slip away. She was happy with Father but...not as happy as she could have been. It was her one regret." Pausing, Haya casts her head to the side to look at her husbands, a slow, tender smile on her face. "I was not going to repeat my mother's mistake." Slowly, her eyes darken at a memory. "When he....comm....died, she didn't take it well. I believe she blamed herself." Stumbling over that word, she pales a bit, shooting Kakashi a worried look, remembering his reaction after Sakumo died.

Eye closing, Kakashi tries to dispel the memory of his father's lifeless body with a sword piercing his stomach and back. He reopens his eye when something or someone blocks the sun. He curses the fact he decided to forgo his mask and cringes at the double looks he is on the receiving end of. Pushing them away long enough to sit up, he rubs at the back of his head. His attention drops from them to his hands resting limply in his lap. "If she loved him so much, why wasn't she there for him?"

"She did love him and was the only person who didn't shun him, love. I think that the moment she found his body, she realized the depth of her mistake and that she should have listened to her heart. I don't believe that Mother ever forgave herself. I know that I wouldn't if I had been in her place." Carefully, Haya reaches out and pulls the silver haired man down until his head rests in her lap. Stroking his hair, she looks at Iruka and shakes her head at the look he's sending her. No, not yet, my love. "Kashi, love, I know it's painful but if what had happened with our parents hadn't, we most likely wouldn't be here today. In this very place. This time." Struggling to come up with words to ease his pain, she casts her mind back to her childhood, trying to remember a half-forgotten memory, her mother's words echoing through time's mists.


"I want you to listen to me, Haya, and keep this close to your heart at all times. It's something that my mother taught me on her deathbed and I had forgotten her final words. I pray you don't repeat my mistake. For your sake. And the sake of the person you love. Don't let the one you love slip away. Hold on. As tight as you can. We are human too, ninja or not, and need to find love. Be it frienship or romantic. Hold close the ones you cherish. Always let them know you care. They could be lost to you without warning. You would have nothing left but regret and guilt, my daughter, and it will eat away at you until you are nothing but a shell."

"Mother? What were Grandmother's last words?"

A sad, heartbreaking smile. 'Life's journey isn't about the journey itself, Akina, but the people whom you touch and -who touch you- along the way. Live and grow strong, my little one, but cherish the people you love for they can be lost to you at anytime. Stand fast to protect what's important. And never forget that you are not alone. As long as you will let them, your friends will be by your side. Especially Sakumo-kun. Be happy, my little one, and never let him go. He loves you very much.' Her voice wistful. "I had forgotten her last lesson. Haya, you can never turn back time and undo past mistakes. You must live your life the best way you can. When you find love, grab onto and refuse to let go."

"But what if I don't realize what I feel is love and they find someone else?"

"That is when you wish them all the happiness in the world and let go. Part of truly loving someone is loving them enough to let them be happy. Even if it's with someone else."

"Is that what happened between you and Sakumo-san?"

"...Yes, Haya, that's what happened. I knew he loved me, as I loved him but I let foolish notions come between us. His father forced him to marry someone else and I married your father. Before you ask, yes, I love your father but..Sakumo was....is the one I love most. It is something I regret every single day. If only I had...." A hand comes to rest on her head. "But, at the same time, I have a loving husband, two wonderful daughters and yes, I am happy. Regret, however, is a terrible thing and I can't help but think 'what if.'"

"I promise, Mother, I'll never forget."

A smile, still heartbreaking sad but now content as well. "That's my girl."

"Mother?"

"Yes, Haya?"

"This is goodbye, isn't it?" Before them the sky begins to darken as malevolent chakra spirals in ever increasing circles.

"Yes, my little one, this is goodbye."

"I love you, Mother. Tell Father?"

"I will." A pause and a kiss is pressed to her forehead as she slides her hand over the top of her head in a caress. "I love you too, sweetling. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. Be happy, Mother."


Pulling her thoughts together, she hunches over the form curled in front of her and whispers into his ear, remembering those parting words. "We can't turn back time, love, and undo our past mistakes. We can only live our lives the best we can." 'Mother, is this what you meant? I hope so. Wherever you are, I pray you are happy now. Her attention stays on the man whose head rests in her lap. A ghostly hand seems to brush over her long, unbound hair, causing her head to come up, and look around for her mother's familiar form. 'Mother? No, I'm imagining it, that's all.' "You aren't alone, my love, we're here. For as long as you want us." Haya doesn't need to look at Iruka, sensing his agreement in the way he settles behind her, pressing against her back and loops his arms around her before cupping Kakashi's face lovingly. Feeling his gentle smile, she covers his hand with her own small one.

Together.