Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Snapshots ❯ Chapter Seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Since Naruto and the others have been neglected these past few chapters, they're going to be the focus of the final two.

This monster morphed into an almost one-shot. *eying it* Can't seem to ever really write very short things. Even when it's for a drabble challenge. Only Missing You (GW) and Peeping Fox (xxxHolic) are truly short stories.

Can't claim Naruto and co. All the OCs are mine.

Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke are nineteen/twenty. Kakashi thirty-four/thirty-five. Haya thirty-three/thirty-four and Iruka thirty-two or thirty-three. And Aiko is about seven and in the Academy. Sakura insisted that Naruto drop the suffix when addressing her because they (and Sasuke) have all have grown closer together over the years.

--------------------

Violent shaking slowly worms its' way through his returning conscious and groaning faintly causes the hands to pause. A second later, they're back with vengeance and shaking him even harder then before. A hissed, 'Naruto!' follows the hands. Pain surges through his body, making him thrash until the same hands pin him easily to the damp smelling earth under his cheek. "Sa....?"

Warm breathe slides along his face as the person shaking him leans down, whispering in his ear. "Wake up, Naruto! We have to get out of here before they find us."

Summoning strength, a blue eye cracks open and attempts to focus on the pink-topped blur hovering above his prone body. "Saku..."

"Yes, it's me. C'mon c'mon! We don't have time for this." Her voice still low, Sakura hauls him into a sitting position and drags one of his arms across her shoulders, bracing herself then drags him free of the mud. "Walk, damn it." Pulling him along, her head constantly turns to keep an eye on their surroundings.

Feeling his strength returning, Naruto puts more of his weight on his legs, wobbling a bit but recovering from whatever knocked him out. "How long was I out?" Keeping his voice quiet, he extends his senses, listening for the enemy.

"Half an hour." Releasing her grip on him, the kunioichi scans the trees for any sight of their pursuers. "Either they haven't found us yet or they know where we are."

"Where's the others?" Naruto leaps into a tree, Sakura following as they begin to sprint towards Konoha, half-hoping that the rest of their team was sent ahead yet knowing they weren't.

"Dead." Her answer short, the tone it was delivered in alerting him not to ask anymore questions.

Bounding to another branch, Naruto keeps his gaze forward, not looking at his friend. Suddenly, he throws himself sideways, knocking Sakura off the branch even as he vanishes in a puff of smoke, a line of kunai quivering where they had just been. Leaping out of another tree, Naruto crashes into one of their enemies, slitting the man's throat before he has a chance to react. The tree he's perched in shakes violently, a clear sign Sakura used her monstrous strength. Shouts fill the air, Naruto throwing himself back into the battle.

Blood dripping down her arm, Sakura glances around once the battle is over; a stillness now filling the forest and after making sure there is no more lurking enemy ninja around, she looks upwards to Naruto and nods once. The blond leaps down, joining her. Turning, she moves off at a near sprint, knowing he'll follow.

The rest of their journey is made in silence. Either wanting to speak, even when they come to the road that leads to Konoha's gates. Dropping out of the trees as one, they share a long silent look before approaching the open gates.

Glancing over at the guard shack, Naruto waves at the two chuunin stationed there. Neither he nor Sakura stopping to address them. The older of the two chuunin waves back as his partner scribbles something down on the scroll in front of her.

Once they're out of hearing and sight range, Naruto catchs up with Sakura, touching her on the arm. "Sakura?" Concerned blue eyes lock on pale green.

"I'm fine, Naruto." She covers his hand with her own, squeezing lightly. Her expression troubled despite her words.

"There was nothing you could have done. Ask anyone and they would tell you the same." His words blunt as always.

"You're repeating something Iruka-sensei or Kakashi-sensei told you." Disbelief colors her voice, she giving him a sharp look.

Scowling, Naruto gives her a dark look. "What? I can't come up with things on my own?"

Her laughter rings out then is cut off and she looks sad suddenly. "Most of what you say is repeats of things your parents told you." Her eyes dart down to her blood streaked hands then away. "Let's go." Dropping the conversation, she resumes heading for the Hokage tower.

Staring after his friend, Naruto shakes his head and follows at a trot. Catching up, he keeps pace with her, glancing at her from the corner of his eye constantly.

"Stop it."

Grinning sheepishly at being caught, the blond shrugs. "Sorry." He doesn't sound at all sorry.

Squeals of children and voices of others float around them. A loud bark has them tensing and reaching for weapons even as a puppy races past with a child.

Naruto opens his mouth to speak when a 'Yo' breaks into the silence surrounding the two. He turns his head to see his parents approaching and the sight of them releases the rest of the tension in his body. "Dad! Mom!" A grin spreads across his face as he enthusiastically greets his parents, crashing into his mother and lifts her right off her feet.

"Put me down, you overgrown puppy." Haya puts up with the abuse than smacks her son in the head.

Letting go of his mother, he turns to his fathers and his grin widens but to the older ninja, they see the sadness in both his and Sakura's eyes. Diving in for a hug, Naruto grabs his brown-haired father tightly, feeling Iruka's arms wrapping around him snugly. Looking at the scarred chuunin, he smiles and shrugs, knowing that later his parents will corner him to dig out the details of this mission. Releasing his pony-tailed father, Naruto faces the taller silver-haired man, eying him, hesitating in showing public affection to Kakashi.

"What? No hug?" Kakashi spreads his arms open, waiting and grunting when Naruto slams into him and wraps his arms around the young man firmly. A gloved hand buries itself into spiky blond strands as Naruto squeezes the breathe from his lungs.

Laughing, Iruka raps Naruto on the back. "Let go of him, Naruto."

Grinning, the blond shinobi releases his father and with an impish twinkle, presses a fast kiss to his masked cheek. Leaping backwards, Naruto grabs Sakura's hand and hauls her with him, leaving his parents staring after them in amusement.

"Come over tonight for dinner, you two!" Haya calls out, watching them acknowledge her with waves before they're gone around a corner.

"I can't believe you did that! In the middle of the street!" Sakura wheezes out between laughter, slowing down.

Opening his mouth to explain why, a loud booming voice fills the air.

"MY ETERNAL RIVAL! WHAT A BRILLANT SHOW OF YOUTH AND FAMILY LOVE! YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE STILL IN THE SPRINGTIME OF YOUR YOUTH!"

Kakashi's response goes unheard.

"HOW MODERN OF YOU, MY RIVAL! SUCH A HIP REPLY! IT'S TIME TO TELL ME YOUR SECRETS! HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO CAPTURE THE HEARTS OF THE FAIR IRUKA-SENSEI AND LOVELY HAYA-SAN!"

Eyes wide, Sakura stares at her friend. "You did that on purpose! Naruto! I can't believe you!" Bursting into laughter, she doubles over and collapses against the wall behind her.

Impishly, Naruto grins at her watching her laugh and knowing he managed to get her to forget about Suki and Taako's deaths, even if for a few minutes. He pats the choking and sputtering Sakura on the back gleefully.

Wiping at her eyes, Sakura slowly straightens still snickering. "Thank you, Naruto." Sorrow lingers in her eyes but the shadows aren't so deep.

"You're welcome. Family looks after each other." Dropping an arm across his 'sister's' shoulders, he gives her a hug as they head for Hokage tower together.