Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Solace ❯ one: rejection is the fare of lovesick fools ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

one: rejection is the fare of lovesick fools
 
Hovering over the grass on his wooden perch, Naruto swung slowly back and forth. His knuckles were white with tension from clutching at the thick, weather-worn swing rope. Blinking, he tried to suppress the stinging tears.
Wistfully reminiscing of the days attending the Academy, Naruto recalled seeking solace in the boughs of this tree, sitting in the shade on this very swing. He had vainly created a demanding schedule for himself and made sure to remain active with his friends in order to leave no room for thoughts that ignited the need to be here, but predictably, as every year did, the days dwindled down to this date and Naruto always, always without fail, found himself sitting upon the swing.
 
Even though he now had a family cast from the people closest to him, there was always the bitter throb of loneliness embedded in his heart. He had yet to create a deeper relationship with his most precious person… just thinking of him would cause Naruto's heart to beat erratically, cause his breath to hitch and his cheeks to bloom with a fierce pink, cause a Hinata-esque smile to pull at his lips…
 
But on this day, the village's most celebrated holiday, his name did nothing to lift Naruto's spirits or warm the chill (that came with the increased hatred) from his body and heart.
 
It was his birthday and misery had given him her annual gift.
 
Eyes blurring—I promised myself never to cry on this day ever again, but every year I do… I wish I were so much stronger—he stilled as familiar voices drifted towards him and light footsteps approached.
 
Sasuke.
 
Fearfully, Naruto quickly clambered up into the tree branches and masked his chakra, hoping his teammate and whoever accompanied him hadn't noticed.
 
“Sasuke-kun?”
 
Naruto recognized that voice—it lacked its usual confidence, but…
 
The footsteps stopped directly under the outskirts of the shade and Naruto was able to identify the speaker. Without a doubt it was Sakura: he could see a splotch of pink through the leaves.
 
“Sasuke-kun, would you like to go with me to the festival tonight?” From the slight lilt in her voice, Naruto easily conjured the image of her bright green eyes brimming with hope.
 
No response.
 
“…Sasuke-kun?” She sounded timid, nervous and anxious of how Sasuke might answer. He could see, in his mind's eye, Sakura's trembling lips, her watery eyes shining with fresh tears as she wrung her hands apprehensively, searching for an answer in Sasuke's emotionless visage.
 
“Why, Sasuke-kun? Why won't you ever look at me? Why do you always ignore me?!”
 
A cold, brazen answer: “I don't.” It was just like Sasuke to be such a bastard.
 
“Bullshit!” Sakura grew more hysterical with each word that fell from her lips. “You only pay minimal attention to me because we're on the same team!” The rejection in her voice resounded heavily around them.
 
And of course, Sasuke said nothing.
 
“I—I love you! I've loved you for so long! Can't you see it, Sasuke? Why won't you accept me?!”
 
A tense silence, and for a second, Sasuke's eyes seemed to meet his and Naruto could see past those cold, cold barriers and identified a flicker of…regret? Guilt? That foreign emotion: what was it? It was gone in an instant; his eyes grew dark as the screen of indifference slid back. Just as Naruto began to think Sasuke would relent and give in to Sakura's pleas, the Ice Prince responded.
 
“I don't love you.” Short and harsh. The dismissal was absolute.
 
Naruto let out a low, quiet hiss; he had unwittingly held his breath. He sympathized with Sakura—her heart has been broken so many times by him, and this is no exception—and yet, he was relieved. Relieved that Sasuke had refused Sakura's love, relieved that Sasuke didn't love her, relieved that he might have a chance with his precious person…but most of all, relieved that the emotion which had burned so fiercely in Sasuke's eyes did not mean anything towards Sakura, rather, it might have meant something more, maybe even bordering on something akin to love towards him…Ashamed of his traitorous feelings, he quickly crushed the ridiculous notion—Ha! Sasuke in love with me?—He was the village idiot, just as Sasuke said, nothing more than a dead last. Even worse, though, he was the Kyuubi, and that was something that could never be corrected or atoned for.
 
Just as Naruto had completed his utter self-rejection, Sakura bombarded Sasuke with accusations.
 
“I knew it!” she shrieked, “I didn't want to believe Ino-pig or what the rest of the village is saying, but now I simply can't ignore it!”—What are they saying? Have they figured out about the Kyuubi—Naruto despaired, his heart sinking—Please, no, I would be left alone again—“Naruto, Naruto, Naruto! It's always about Naruto! Training with Naruto, fighting with Naruto, this `rivalry' with Naruto! I bet those insults are just pet names!” she scoffed. “Using `dobe' and `usuratonkachi' so lightly when you won't use an ounce of energy on anyone else: `not worth the time' because you don't…!” Sakura screamed in frustration before continuing, “I should've noticed the signs myself; after all, I am your teammate! I should have put a stop to this…this atrocity! But I was too blinded by my love for you! How could you do this, Sasuke? How could you do this to not only me, but yourself as well?!”
 
Naruto was puzzled—What could she mean?—and apparently, so was Sasuke.
 
“Do what?”
 
“Fall in love with that idiot!” Sakura hissed.
 
Sasuke asked, surprise evident, “What?!”
 
But that statement was the last straw. Sakura seemed to have snapped: “Don't you dare try to deny it—all the signs are there! How could you lead me and the rest of the girls in Konoha on for so long, when all along you were interested in that thing?!” she screamed, slapping Sasuke hard before storming off in a fury, sobbing.
 
Naruto almost fell out of the tree; he felt as if he had been slapped himself, being referred to as “that thing” stung, but—Sasuke, in love with me?—He could only hope for so much, and Sakura must have been crazy with anger and rejection. She said that the village was saying this as well?—They're all insane!—They had to be joking…of course. They had found out about Naruto's feelings towards the Uchiha, and were now playing with his heart—What a wonderful birthday present—Naruto laughed inwardly at his own folly as tears blazed new paths down his already anguish stricken face. Shivering in the shade of the large tree, he cradled his head in his arms and cried softly.
 
Sasuke stared up into the boughs of the tree, thinking that he had heard Naruto but too unsure of himself and too immersed in his revelation to actually check. “I'm…in love with Naruto?”
 
And Naruto was too caught up in his tears to hear the whispered epiphany.
 
Silently, silently, Sasuke walked away.