Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Ten Deaths ❯ For Her Friends II ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

For Her Friends
 
Sakura is standing on a bloody field, littered with the groaning bodies of her friends. She fears for them, and even more for those who make no sound, who lie limply, as broken dolls do.
 
She does not know how she got here, or where she is. It is a dream, she thinks, or an illusion. Ti has to be. She forms the hand seals and mutters, “Kai,” looking up expectantly. They're still there.
 
Desperately, she grabs a kunai and slices it across her arm, the stroke sharp, deliberate, as is the accompanying pain. It does nothing. If this is in fact a dream, she does not awaken from it.
 
Frantically, she heals the long cut, and slices again, and again, tears running down her face to mingle with the rivulets of blood flowing down her body.
 
And then someone appears. Someone with superhuman speed and stealth, and a malicious intent thick enough to choke on, and she's sure, more than ever, that it is an illusion, one she cannot break, or maybe it is a dream, and she blinks, and he's on her, and he's too fast, too heavy, and she's wasted her chakra and covered in blood and tears.
 
And he kills her, chokes her, slowly, and she opens her mouth to scream, and…
 
She's awake. Bolt upright, and gasping, covered in sweat, and she's at home in her bed, and she can't sleep now, she knows it.
 
So she gets up, and she takes a shower - cold, because it wakes her up, brings her to reality.
 
And then she's outside, training, furious and cold and barefoot.
 
Her dream is not going to come true. It's not. She won't let it.