Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Curative Career of Kaori the Ninja Nurse ❯ Otoha's Story ( Chapter 35 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Otoha's Story
 
Otoha found her superior in an unusually light mood when she came in that morning. Kaori was humming to herself and made no comment about Otoha being late or not finishing processing yesterday's files. In fact, Kaori was practically glowing. Otoha had been all ready for a fight. She had a list of excuses and sarcastic comments. All wasted now that Kaori was happy.
 
`She must have gotten laid last night. I wonder who it was. Couldn't be Raidou, he's still in the hospital and she's not the type to do it at work. She doesn't know what fun she's missing. The only other man she's interested in is Kakashi…no way! She finally got him? That elusive…”
 
Otoha just had to know if her suspicions were true. After saying a pleasant, but insincere good morning, she settled down and quickly finished her work from yesterday and then started on today's stack. She could work very efficiently when she wanted to, which was as rare as Naruto turning down ramen. Otoha wanted to keep her boss in a good mood so she could think about how to best find out about Kakashi.
 
“I'm sorry about not finishing the files yesterday. I'm done now and I should be done with the most current stack soon. Here's Raidou's file. I think he's supposed to check out this morning. Are you going to see him before he leaves? And don't you have something to tell him?”
 
That immediately placed a damper on Kaori's good mood. She was trying to avoid the inevitable, but now that Otoha had brought it up…wait did she know about Kakashi? How could she…? No, she must mean Raidou's proposal.
 
“You'd better tell him about Kakashi,” Otoha prompted, taking a shot at the truth. She always preferred the direct approach. That definitely hit a nerve as Kaori turned red and her good humor vanished.
 
“How d…did you…?” Kaori stammered.
 
“It's written all over your face. So how was he? Is he everything you ever dreamed of?”
 
“Well, actually…y... You're right. I have to tell Raidou, now.” Kaori abruptly got up and discontinued their talk, partly because she needed to see Raidou before he left and, because she did not want to discuss Kakashi with her rival any further.
 
Otoha smiled in satisfaction. She got enough information to make up a nice juicy story to spread around the hospital and then the rest of Konoha. Kaori had apparently slept with Kakashi and he was good enough to satisfy her in bed…
 
But Kaori returned in a troubled mood. It seemed that her break up with Raidou did not go well. Otoha's radar beeped again. She just had to know more. She put on her most concerned sympathetic face. “Are you okay? I know breakups can be hard…”
 
“How can a man propose one minute and sleep with another woman the next minute? What kind of man would do such a thing?” sighed Kaori, almost to herself.
 
“What kind? You mean what kind wouldn't. I guarantee that even married men can be easily seduced, and I would know. Wait, did Raidou…with who?”
 
Kaori did not reply. Instead she was thinking about Kakashi. Would he? Would he sleep with the next big busted woman that came along? She had thought that his admitting that he cared about her was akin to love, but what if it wasn't? What if it didn't mean anything at all? But she shook her head at those thoughts. She had had her doubts about him, but no more. She would believe in him no matter what.
 
Otoha read into Kaori's silence. She knew Kaori did not really care about Raidou. Kaori was probably thinking about Kakashi and whether he would be faithful. Ah, poor naïve Kaori probably thought he would be. But Otoha knew any man could be turned. It just took the right approach and the right timing.
 
Later that day when Kaori was making her afternoon rounds and Otoha was reapplying her makeup after lunch, Kakashi dropped by. He had just been given a mission by Tsunade and wanted to inform Kaori that he would be out of town for a couple of days. He wasn't sure whether he had to inform her, but it seemed like the right thing to do after last night. But Kaori was not at her desk. Instead there was the buxom brunette with the red lips and redder nails.
 
Oh my, she's hot! Just look at those…they must be at least ten times larger than the nurse you were with last night,” said the Obito voice. “I'll bet we could get a goodsound sleep sleeping on those. They look much more comfy than your pillows.”
 
Stop that!” Kakashi ordered angrily. “W…I'm with Kaori now.”
 
Hey, when did we decide we were going steady?”
 
There's no we. I make the decisions, so shut up.”
 
At this point Otoha looked up from applying her lipstick. She smiled her most softly seductive smile and said, “Kakashi-sama, you're looking well. What brings you here today?” She got up from behind her desk and walked demurely toward him, and slowly got closer and closer, invading the comfort zone of his personal space, but he did not step back. “Is there anything I can do for you? Anything at all?” She leaned into him, showing off her cleavage.
 
Man, just look at those! How could you not be tempted?” said the Obito voice.
 
“Umm, just tell Kaori-san that I'll be away on a mission for a couple of days.”
 
“Oh, are the too of you involved?”
 
“Er, yeah, sort of,” he said noncommittally.
 
“How involved? Is there any chance for me?” She looked up at him with large liquid adoring eyes framed with thick long lashes.
 
She's scorchin' torchin' hot!” said the Obito voice.
 
This was it. Kakashi had to make his decision. What was he doing with Kaori? Did he want something more than a one night stand? If he took Otoha's offer, Kaori would never forgive him. It would end things without him having to say a word. But he couldn't hurt her like that. Not after all she had done for him and what he had put her through.
 
“Sorry, I have to go. Just relay my message, thanks.” Kakashi was gone in a blink of an eye, leaving nothing but a puff of dust behind.
 
Otoha had observed Kakashi carefully. He had made no indication that he was aroused or interested in her. He had stood his ground and didn't even flinch. Not one drop of sweat. Impressive, it seemed he really was devoted to Kaori.
 
At first Otoha was annoyed and jealous, that Kaori was able to attract such a fine male specimen, the elusive number one bachelor in Konoha. But then she realized, Kaori in a good mood made her a better boss, one who would not nag her about her work. With that thought, Otoha relayed Kakashi's message when Kaori returned, and added, “You're lucky. I think you have the single most loyal man in Konoha. I can tell he's completely devoted to you.”
 
Otoha's effusive compliments made Kaori wary rather than secure. “How would you know?” she asked abruptly.
 
“Well, I tried flirting with him but I could tell he wasn't the least bit interested. Not even a sidelong glance, not a drop of perspiration. He was totally cold toward me.
 
“Really?” Kaori was wary but she really wanted to believe her.
 
“Yeah, he told me he wasn't interested and for me to leave him alone.” Otoha pouted petulantly to add credence to her words.
 
Somehow Otoha's words offered no comfort. The seed of doubt and been sown and was flourishing in her insecurity. Shinobi were taught to be guarded with their emotions, but how could Kakashi not be the least bit attracted to Otoha? There were even times Kaori couldn't help but think that if she were a man she'd be attracted to her. Why would Kakashi prefer her flat chest to Otoha's mountains? Her figure was much more like a boy's compared to Otoha. Maybe he was really gay or latently gay and didn't know it. Then she shook off these preposterous thoughts and insisted to herself Kakashi preferred her because she was a better person, and body and looks didn't mean anything. Still, not the least bit?
 
“So, it's serious?” Otoha prompted, trying hard to read Kaori's thoughts.
 
Kaori shrugged. “We're taking it slow. What about you and Gai?” She tried to divert attention back to Otoha's relationship.
 
“I decided I'll stick with him,” Otoha smiled. “Like I said, men are pretty much all the same in bed, but he's great. He's also rich and generous and not too bright. He's away a lot so I can do anything I want and get away with it. It's really a perfect relationship for me.”
 
Kaori was barely listening. She was still obsessing over what Kakashi's exchange with Otoha meant. There was Raidou who wanted to marry, her but slept with another woman. There was Kakashi who gave no real indication of his feeling or intentions, but turned down Otoha. Both cases made little sense.
 
If Kakashi could be so cold toward Otoha, would he ever warm up and open up to her? She loved him, but how long would he stay with her when he had so little attachment to others?
 
---------------------