Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Esoteric ❯ Revelation ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Esoteric

II

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"And then he tells me, 'What's the point of a student if he doesn't obey his sensei?' Kaka-sensei really annoys me when he says things like that!" exclaimed Naruto as he banged his fist loudly on the table.

Iruka smiled slightly. "What did you say to him before that?" he asked.

"I just said, 'What's the point of a sensei if he leaves his students?' I know missions are important but isn't his main responsibility to teach us? First, he leaves me with the perverted old man and then he goes off and teaches Sasuke the Chidori. That is so unfair! How am I going to become Hokage with a sensei like him?"

Naruto was venting out all of his frustrations and he didn't care how many strange stares he was acquiring because of it. He slurped up more noodles before finally looking at Iruka. The older man was merely watching him with amusement. That just made him fume even more.

"It's not funny, Iruka-sensei!" he exclaimed, pouting deeply.

Iruka began to chuckle and patted Naruto's head. "Don't worry, Naruto. Kakashi will be back soon enough," he said reassuringly.

Naruto scrunched up his nose and ordered a second bowl. Iruka shook his head; Naruto was going to use up all his money at this rate.

"Why don't you come to the Academy tomorrow?" he suggested suddenly.

Naruto turned to face Iruka slowly. "Why?" he asked suspiciously.

Iruka hid his grin. "Well, an experienced Genin like yourself could offer some tips to the kids," he replied.

At once, Naruto seemed to brighten up. Holding up a fist in the air, the blond shot Iruka a victorious look. "Oh yeah! I could teach those kids a lot about being a Genin and all the dangerous missions I've accomplished!" he exclaimed joyously.

Iruka laughed lightly. Naruto was too easy to please.

"Of course…there will be others accompanying you."

Naruto shot Iruka a deadpanned look. "What?" he asked dully.

"I thought it would be a good idea for your entire team to go. After all, you do work together, no? And I'm sure the students would like to hear Sasuke and Sakura's views as well," explained Iruka slyly.

"B-But Iruka-sensei!" complained Naruto, faltering with his words as he threw a dejected look at his bowl.

Iruka couldn't resist a small grin at the boy's obvious disappointment. His one moment in the spotlight had now been taken away by the two simple names of Sasuke and Sakura. "Eat up, Naruto," he said as the boy's second helping was served.

Naruto, seemingly determined to use up all of Iruka's money now, devoured the ramen in a few seconds flat before ringing up a third. Iruka smiled helplessly. Well, it was his fault for treating him to dinner. Naruto's stomach was a bottomless pit.

"Say, Iruka-sensei… What's happening with Orochimaru now?"

At the quietly imposed question, Iruka faced his former student sharply. Naruto appeared almost sheepish, but there was determination in his eyes as he awaited an answer. Iruka narrowed his eyes and sighed softly.

"You know I'm not supposed to discuss these matters with Genins," he said firmly, employing an authoritative tone he used now and then to tame students. He seldom used it on Naruto, though, and the boy was surprised at the severity in Iruka's voice.

Naruto sighed deeply and looked at his empty bowl silently.

"But I guess I can break that rule seeing as how you already know more than some Chuunins," chirped Iruka brightly.

Naruto blinked in surprise before grinning widely at Iruka. "You've been hanging out with Kaka-sensei too much," he pointed out with some exasperation.

Iruka shrugged. "Maybe. And about your previous question, I can't tell you everything, Naruto. Just know that he's on the move and Konoha's gathering as many forces as we can. We won't be caught surprised again," he said slowly.

"Forces?" repeated Naruto confusedly.

Iruka nodded and smiled down at the blond. "Allies if you may. But it's getting difficult. Orochimaru's influence is spreading rapidly," he explained, his tone tinted with worry. If truth were told, only the Sand had answered Konoha's call. And if there would be a war, they would lose miserably.

"I see, I see. Well, Orochimaru's not going to defeat us! I'll make sure of that! As future Hokage, I will protect Konoha Village with all my strength!" exclaimed Naruto heroically.

Iruka stared at Naruto. The boy was saying things without grasping the true meaning of what was happening. He was born in an age of peace. The laws and reasons of war were still foreign to him. Iruka smiled slightly. At least he was courageous. When the real fighting began, though, he was sure even Naruto's iron will would falter. That was why Tsunade was sending out so many Jounins and Chuunins on recon missions. Konoha was in danger of being easily overwhelmed if any more attacks would come without them knowing. Iruka scowled inwardly. How he hated wars. Most of the Genins in the village wouldn't be able to handle it and Tsunade was doing everything she could to keep them protected from its horrors.

The death of enemies Naruto could handle. But would the boy be able to handle the deaths of his comrades? Iruka shuddered to think of the answer. He himself had been torn away from his family at a young age. He never wanted Naruto to experience that kind of pain, especially now that he finally had people to love.

"Iruka-sensei? Are you okay? You dazed out for a bit."

Blinking, Iruka looked at Naruto, who was staring at him strangely. He put on a grin. "Yes, yes, I'm fine. I was just thinking about some things," he said quickly. Of course, his mind was going into a bleak future that may or may not happen. He really was a pessimist. Hoping took too much effort sometimes. That was why he loved the children. They could do the hoping for him.

"Now, let's get you home!" exclaimed Iruka as he quickly paid for his and Naruto's meals.

"What…? But I only had three bowls!" whined Naruto as he was dragged away from the ramen stand.

Iruka grinned at him. "Don't worry. If you cooperate with Sasuke tomorrow, I'll treat you again," he said. He only mentioned Sasuke because he knew that Naruto and him had been on the edge as of late. Everything that happened with Orochimaru and Itachi had really torn those two apart somewhat.

"All right!"

Iruka smiled slightly as the hyperactive boy beside him ran ahead. Things really had taken a turn for the worse, but as long as people like Naruto were around Iruka felt they would get better. People like Naruto were the type to not give up easily and who would protect their loved ones to the death. That was why Orochimaru was erroneous in choosing Sasuke as his perfect vessel. Sasuke possessed a heart like Naruto no matter how jaded he was now. Maybe that was why Naruto was so furious with Sasuke when he went off to Orochimaru. He thought Sasuke was abandoning everyone. But in the end, it worked itself out. Both Tsunade and the rest of Konoha breathed a sigh of relief when Sasuke returned.

Friendship. It was a strong gift. Not even Sasuke could deny it. Perhaps that would be the final solution to the impending war facing Konoha. Iruka grinned. Everything was happening to the younger generation it seemed. Yet a nagging feeling in his heart told him otherwise. His turn was coming up and despite his devotion to his home, Iruka felt perturbed. Something dangerous was arriving-and he felt it had something to do with him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tsunade hated uninvited guests. She had been in the middle of the grueling task of trying to clean out her filing cabinets when her office door flew open. Two men stood at her doorway-one a regular Konoha Jounin, the other a foreigner Tsunade didn't care for. All she was concerned with was the fact that they had managed to sprawl out all her neatly piled papers on the floor without so much as giving her an apologetic glance. Young people nowadays had no respect.

"What is the meaning of this?" she snapped, placing her hands at her hips. It was then that she realized the foreign shinobi was tied up. She studied him for a moment before taking in the emblem on his forehead protector. "What are you doing here?"

Her tone had changed. It held wonder now as she stared at the tied-up shinobi. She waved her hand to dismiss his accompanying Jounin. "I thought your people treasured your independence," she said thoughtfully as she leaned against her desk. The shinobi remained standing by the doorway.

"Are you Tsunade-sama, the Hokage of Hidden Konoha?" he prompted.

Tsunade arched an eyebrow at the formality in the man's tone. "Yes, I am. And if I'm not mistaken, you're from the Hidden Village of Shade," she replied, tilting her head slightly to study the man's face. He's cute, she thought with a grin.

"Yes, I am. I come here to bring you a message," the man said, his tone inexplicably blasé.

Tsunade sighed. "Well, tell me your name first for crying out loud. It's not every day a shinobi from Hidden Shade ventures into Konoha-hell, it's not every day your people even venture anywhere outside of your home as far as I'm concerned," she said, smiling slightly at the ruffled expression that crossed the man's face.

"My people send out shinobi to all parts of the world. We just simply do not wish to commune with the other villages. And my name is Shinya," he replied.

The older woman smiled. "Oh, so that's it, eh? Seems like your people are pretty arrogant to me. But no matter. What's this great message you have for me?" she queried.

Shinya looked slightly miffed at Tsunade's insult but proceeded in relaying the message nonetheless. "There has been a force released from within the Metal Country that all of the other villages will need to reckon with," he explained slowly.

"What kind of force are we talking about here?" asked Tsunade, crossing her arms.

"A demon," answered Shinya shortly.

Tsunade rolled her eyes. "Ah, of course. How wonderful. When did this happen?" she asked, her eyes flashing.

"A few days ago. It has been kept in captivity for over a decade but has managed to escape, wreaking havoc in my village. Its powers, however, aren't yet at full so that leaves us with some time before it will strike," replied Shinya.

"So why tell us, hm? The demon's already through with your home. And quite frankly, your people have never warned us of anything in the past," said Tsunade, raising an eyebrow.

Shinya lowered his gaze to the floor. "This demon is powerful. And we are warning you because we need your help in defeating it, or more specifically, someone from your village," he explained.

"Who?" inquired Tsunade sharply.

"Umino Iruka."

There was a brief pause where Tsunade went to her desk and pulled out a small bottle of sake. She poured it into a cup and downed it in one gulp before standing up again to face Shinya.

"Say that again," she ordered.

Shinya looked at Tsunade with some confusion. "Umino Iruka," he repeated unsurely.

Tsunade nodded and crossed her arms. "Yes, I thought you said that," she said calmly before placing both hands on the collar of Shinya's coat, lifting him a few inches up from the floor. "And what may I ask does Iruka have anything to do with this?"

Her tone was fierce and she was starting to get the feeling that this Shinya was here on some sort of prank. Was he even a Shade shinobi? But then again, few people knew of the existence of a Hidden Shade. She narrowed her eyes at the young man in her grip.

"Please! He's very important to my village!" gasped out Shinya.

Tsunade glared at him dangerously. "Nonsense, Iruka's a descendant of Konoha. He has no relation to your people or village!" she exclaimed angrily. She didn't have time to deal with pranksters. "Now you go back home and when I find out who told you about Hidden Shade, I swear I will-"

"I am from the Hidden Village of Shade! Umino Iruka's mother, Yoshida Akiko, is from my village! Surely you know that she wasn't from Konoha," interrupted Shinya urgently.

Tsunade paused. She then dropped Shinya and rushed to her filing cabinet and began thumbing through the papers before finding Iruka's records. She scanned them thoroughly before finding his mother's name. She read her background reports and looked up at Shinya apologetically.

"Ah, sorry. You're quite right," she remarked, laughing.

Shinya sighed deeply. And this is their Hokage? No wonder they're in so much trouble now.

"Yes, well, I only just became Hokage so I don't know everything you know. But in any case, why Iruka? He's a simple man with basic skills as a Chuunin. I'm sure there are stronger shinobi in your village who can fight off this demon," commented Tsunade.

Shinya was reluctant to answer. Tsunade was intrigued now.

"Iruka is essential in the defeat of this demon."

"Oh? And why's that?"

Tsunade stared hard at Shinya while he shifted uncomfortably under her scrutiny.

"It's in his blood."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TBC

Na no da (Gravi love, baby)! A bit more humor in this part-more so than I intended I'm afraid. And if you couldn't tell, Shinya is an original character. He'll probably be showing up later in the future but he doesn't play too major of a role so no worries. Other characters will be showing up as well. Hidden Shade and Metal Country belong to me! (Insert evil laugh.) I hope you all don't mind me creating this entirely strange world and throwing Iruka into it. This idea really just sparked out of nowhere and being the crazy writer I am, I couldn't resist it. :P