Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Life of a Ninja ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1
 
A deafening rumbled throughout Takigakure. A sleeping teen shot up in her bed. She swiveled her head violently around her pitch-black room. It was two in the morning. She nervously ran her fingers through her cerulean bangs. `Oh god, are we under attack again?' A second later, her bedroom door busted open; almost flying off its hinges. “Keyoko! Come quickly! The village is under attack!” Standing at the door, was a boy her age, his face flushed slightly from running. His chin-length bangs were covering his face. He quickly brushed them aside. “You `comin?” His dark eyes shone with anticipation.
Keyoko glared slightly at her friend as she pulled her covers upwards. “Ryo! I'm not even dressed yet! You expect me to just dash out of bed with you standing there?” Her indigo eyes flashed eerily. His face grew crimson in an instant. “S-Sorry. I-I just wanted you to come with me to the fight. We can do our tag-team tactics, like always. But if I'm bothering you, then I'll leave.” He turned his back to her as she giggled. “Hang on; I'll be ready in a sec.” Ryo nodded and closed the door behind him. “I'll just wait out here,” he called from out in the hall.
She eased out of bed and walked to her closet. She grabbed her Nin clothes and quickly changed into them. As she strapped her silver trident to her back, she laughed quietly to herself. `Te he, Ryo's such a pervert, but he won't admit it.' She opened her door and gently closed it behind her. It wobbled slightly.
She turned to her silver-haired friend and frowned. “You owe me a new door, you know.” He grinned embarrassedly as he scratched the back of his head. “Sorry about that.” He then grabbed her by the hand. “But we've gotta go.” The two of them dashed out of the house and onto deserted streets; house lights popping on as they passed. Keyoko glanced at the sky towards the village's entrance. A monstrous spiraling black cloud seemed to swallow the stars.
She turned her head back to Ryo. “Who's attacking this time?” Takigakure was used to being attacked quite frequently. Ryo frowned deeply as he gritted his teeth. “It's those damned sound ninja again. Only this time, they've brought their leader, snake-face.” Seconds later, a full-scale battle came into view. There were about a hundred masked sound ninja attacking half their number in waterfall ninja.
Keyoko activated her dragon eyes as her wings slowly sprouted and unfolded. She stretched them to their fullest span as Ryo began to activate his bloodline. His chest doubled in size and formed a box-like shape. Three cannon-like tubes extended from his chest. He turned to Keyoko. “Let's go.” She nodded and wrapped her arms around him. With a mighty flap, the two of them took to the air.
Keyoko tilted Ryo slightly downwards as she glided over head. “Go!” Ryo's chest vibrated with a jolt as three large orbs of chakra shot form his cannons. The attack hit its mark; killing five sound nin and wounding three. “We got `em.” Keyoko smirked. Ryo's eyes widened. “Look out!” Keyoko, who had seen it a second before Ryo had shouted, shot to right. A barrage of needles and shuriken just barely missing them. She stuck out her forked tongue at the enemy. Ryo readied for another attack and his cannons began to tremble. Keyoko grinned. “Wait, let me help this time.” She pressed her right hand against his back. It began to glow an icy shade of blue as the cannons rumbled once more. “Fire!” BOOM!
Three enormous orbs of icy chakra rained down on the battle field. Because they were considerably larger than Ryo's previous attack, they managed to hit more nin than intended. Twenty sound nin lay dead, and twelve lay unconscious. (All partially frozen) The tables had turned in favor of the waterfall nin.
Keyoko swooped lower as Ryo's chest vibrated once more. Three more chakra orbs erupted from his chest, colliding with more force than the earlier attacks against seven more sound nin. Keyoko touched ground and released Ryo. They stood back to back, and began fighting alongside their fellow waterfall nin. Keyoko slipped her trident out of its holder as Ryo transformed both his arms into missile launchers. He blasted several enemy nin with small chakra missiles. Keyoko bashed and slashed any that came near with her beloved trident.
When too many nin had ganged up on the duo, Keyoko raised her wings threateningly. With a mighty swoop, she flapped them forward; sending every nin nearby twenty or more feet away. Panting slightly, she then turned her head to see how the rest of the battle was going. Ryo knocked down the few that had gotten back up. Keyoko took another look around when her eyes met those of a monster. Several feet away, stood the infamous Orochimaru, leader of Otogakure. Her body stiffened as his gaze burned into her soul.
She, as though in spirit form, witnessed her body being torn to shreds. Blood was everywhere, but the jagged sword of her assassin never ceased. Ryo turned to Keyoko, who stood in a ghastly trance-like state. “Keyoko! Keyoko, wake up!” Keyoko remained immobile as she witnessed her own imaginary death. Once the visions worsened, she lost consciousness. Ryo quickly ran to her and caught her before she hit the ground. He gently laid her down before fending off more of the enemy.
Ryo soon found himself fighting five nin at once. And because he was so preoccupied on fighting, he didn't notice Orochimaru sneak up from behind him. “Snake Fang Tranquilizer!” His two index fingers collided with the back of Ryo's neck. His eyes grew wide as his body grew heavy. He hit the ground and began to lose consciousness. Orochimaru sneered at the helpless boy at his feet. “Brave fool, you thought you could protect the Jinchuruki from me? Think again.” He cackled evilly and walked over to Keyoko's immobile form. “Damn… you,” Ryo muttered. The last thing he saw before blacking out were the sound nin retreating with Orochimaru carrying Keyoko in his arms.