Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Next Generation ❯ Bonds ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Don't own Naruto, only Ryu, Hitori, Shikato, Fuji, Kitaro and Koteshi
 
Bonds
 
Ryu and Hitori both collapsed onto the sofa as soon as they set foot into their house.
 
Sakura came out of the kitchen.
 
“Tough day, huh? Why don't you two go take a shower before coming back down for dinner?” She said.
 
Hitori got up slowly and shuffled upstairs. Ryu looked at his mother before deliberately saying thoughtfully, “You know mom, my sensei is Sasuke and Hitori's is Naruto.”
 
Sakura tensed at the mention of Sasuke but quickly soothed herself.
 
“Well then, you two are bound to be good shinobi in the future then.” She smiled and made her way back into the kitchen. At that moment, a soft knock could be heard. Ryu went and opened the door to see his sensei standing in the pouring rain.
 
“Sasuke sensei? What are you doing here?”
 
The Uchiha uttered his infamous monosyllable as he entered his teammate's house.
 
Sakura popped her head out at the sound of Sasuke's name being mentioned.
 
The elder shinobi turned and smirked.
 
“Sakura, it's been a while.” He walked forward before continuing in a more gentle tone. “We need to talk.”
 
Stepping forward, he shut the kitchen door before saying in a clipped tone. “Sakura, who is Ryu's father?”
 
A flash of guilt, pain and sadness flashed across Sakura's face which would have been impossible for people to tell. However, Sasuke had known Sakura for 16 years and recognized the confusion that was apparent on her face.
 
Head bowed, Sakura said in whispered tones. “He was a great man, Sasuke. He chose his path and acted on his instincts. Even if it may seem wrong on the surface, I understand his motives and so does he.” She looked up at Sasuke with tearful eyes. “He was a great man, Sasuke,” she repeated. “He was a great man.”
 
Taking a deep breath, Sasuke leaned forward and held Sakura close to his chest as hot tears slid slowly down her cheeks.
 
Gingerly, he asked, “Am I that man, Sakura?”
 
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx
 
The young man of 24 put down the photo frame containing a picture of Team Sasuke. Sasuke had his arms folded as he smirked at his three students in the photo. Kitaro and Ryu were scuffling on the ground while Shikato was watching them with a bored expression on his face. The man smiled fondly as he recalled the memory he just had. The genin days were the best days of his life. Nowadays, Konoha was always engaged in wars with either the Akatsuki or with other nations.
 
The shinobi stepped out onto his balcony before leaping against the outside wall of the building. Building up chakra on the bottom of his feet, he walked effortlessly upwards to the roof. He sat on the edge with his feet dangling off the edge, allowing the gentle breeze to ruffle his soft hair. The ninja stared at the full moon as he reminisced. Slowly and gently, he lifted his hand and touched his left cheek. Tracing the scissor shaped scar crossing just below his blind eye, he grimaced as he remembered how the rain genin had caught him off guard during the last rounds of the chunnin exam.
 
Someone dropped beside him but the man did not move. Instead, he propped his right leg on the ledge and tucked it under his chin. He then whispered, “Sensei.”
 
The man's sensei slipped into the shadows and said slowly, “Ryu, are you sure you want that promotion?”
 
Ryu looked over Konoha as the moonlight threw shadows over his scarred face. His face was unreadable and he said in a flat tone, “Yes, being chosen to be Neji sempai's successor is a great honour. Besides, I would like to challenge myself.”
 
Sasuke nodded in agreement. “Then, the Hokage requests your presence now. I hope you're up for your mission.”
 
Ryu allowed a small smile to creep across his face. Even though most people thought that Sasuke was a heartless bastard, Ryu knew better. Sasuke was just misunderstood by most people. Having witnessed his clan's slaughter by his older brother at the tender age of ten, Sasuke was withdrawn and emotionless. Having finally killed Itachi and returning to Konoha, he was even more detached and cold towards everyone. Having a genin team had helped Sasuke get in touch with his more human side and Ryu knew that Sasuke was not cold, but it was because he did not know how to express his feelings.
 
He slowly stood up and turned to face his sensei. Without a word, both shinobi leapt across the rooftops. The wind whipped across their faces as they bounded towards the Hokage's tower. Ryu glanced at the Uchiha and smiled. The human ice cube was like the father he never had and he had the highest respect for him. Even though Sasuke was 12 years older than him, they both shared a bond which no one but them could understand it, and they were happy with the way things were.