Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Shinobi and The Miko ❯ Training ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Kaguya straightened up, wiping the sweat from her brow. I swear, if Anko-sensei's idea of training doesn't kill me, all of these will. Still, it's not like I can ignore them… She smiled a little forcefully as her patient thanked her and tried to rise from where she lay.
 
“No, no, Fuuko-san, you still need bedrest. I know it feels completely healed, but your body needs to recover some energy before you can leave. Do you need some water?” The kunoichi mumbled assent. “Okay, I'll be right back. You just sit tight.”
 
She dashed off through the door, nearly running smack into Sakura, dancing aside at the last moment. “Oh, Sakura-san! I'm so sorry!”
 
“Ehe… don't worry about it…” Sakura lifted a hand to the back of the head. “You don't need to apologize so much, you know?”
 
“Oh sor- er…nevermind. Can I help you with something?”
 
“Actually, I came to help you. I can use medical ninjutsu, you know. I am the Hokage's apprentice.” A touch of pride colored this last statement.
 
“Are you sure you're not too busy? Well then, we could certainly use it. Seems like more and more people come in with injuries these days…” Kaguya trailed off, thoughts seemingly elsewhere.
 
“Kaguya? Hello?” Sakura tried to regain her attention.
 
“Oh! Right! Sorry. There's a list of beds with patient names on the wall over there. Just cross them off when you're done. But please, excuse me. I have to go get something for someone.” She bowed slightly, and then continued the way she was headed, this time more mindful of her surroundings.
 
“You apologized again!” Sakura called after her. “Man,” she continued to herself, looking at the list on the wall. “There ARE a lot of people in here! Jeez. Better get to work.” She grabbed a cart of medical supplies, and looked through the list for those most in need of immediate attention. Finding her patient's number, she headed down the rows of beds, looking for him. She was surprised to find Kakashi sitting up (still with his mask on) in bed 24.
 
“Kakashi-sensei!” she gasped. “What are you doing here?”
 
Kakashi looked up from that book he was always reading. “Oh, hello, Sakura. How are you? It's been a little while, hasn't it?”
 
“Been a little while? I haven't seen you or Sasuke in weeks! What have you been doing all this time?”
 
“This and that.”
 
Sakura heaved an exasperated sigh. He was never going to answer her questions. “Will you at least tell me where Sasuke is? Naruto and I have been meaning to go see him…” Her volume lowered considerably.
 
“He is currently… somewhere in Konoha. Beyond that, I cannot say. My guess is that he's training while I recover here.”
 
The color rose to Sakura's cheeks. Kakashi had seemed fine, but she felt bad for not asking how he was all the same. She lowered her eyes to the cart in front of her. “What- what happened to you, anyway…?”
 
“Oh it's nothing major; you need not worry. I just got a little careless on a mission. Kaguya fixed me right up.”
 
“Kaguya… she's really something, isn't she?” Sakura thought she detected a hint of envy in her voice. But it's not the same as with Ino…
 
Kakashi picked up on it and answered carefully. “We all do what we can, Sakura, and none of us can do it alone. You should talk to her sometime; you may find that the two of you are quite alike.” He smiled gently under his mask and returned to reading.
 
Sakura remembered what she had originally set out to do; with a start, she got the cart rolling again, still searching for her patient. He's probably right; I've gone and gotten jealous for no reason. She resolved to get to know Kaguya better, and the idea of the two of them spending afternoons together shopping or training brought an unexpected smile to her face. Who knows? We might make good friends.
 
***
Sasuke glared critically at his reflection in the otachi's blade. If he didn't get over this block soon, he'd never be strong enough to take down Itachi. The Akatsuki were dropping like flies (or so it seemed); it wouldn't be too long before they launched an attack en masse. He'd have to be ready by then.
 
“What do you want, idiot?” He asked Naruto, who was standing behind him.
 
“Hey Sasuke, you wanna train together?”
 
“Why would I want to train with you, moron?”
 
“Why not?”
 
Sasuke sighed and sheathed his sword. The idiot did kind of have a point. Hardly anyone spoke to him, fewer still would make that kind of offer. Kakashi never consented to be his opponent, just watched him train and occasionally commented on something.
 
“Whatever.”
 
Naruto grinned. “Heheh. Great! Let's use clones, it's like triple the training! Or quadruple, or whatever comes after that.”
 
“What?”
 
“You know, if you use kagebunshin, when they all get back together, you get everything they all learned.” Naruto seemed innocent of the impact this information had on Sasuke; nobody had ever mentioned this before.
 
“Who told you that?”
 
“Umm… I think it was the pervy sage. But maybe it was Kakashi-sensei. Or Grandma Tsunade.” He shrugged. “It doesn't matter how I know it; I just know it. Are you gonna fight me or not?
 
Sasuke rolled his eyes. “Of course it matters, idiot.” Nevertheless, he mirrored Naruto's hand signal, and they both produced a half-dozen clones.
 
Naruto and his kagebunshin immediately charged Sasuke's group. Instead of trying for kill moves, both of them allowed the fight to continue, looking to learn as much as possible. This continued for what Sasuke estimated to be about an hour. Naruto really seemed to be enjoying himself, even laughing outright after several really good exchanges in a row. To his surprise, Sasuke found himself feeling a little lighter as well, if only a little.
 
They were both panting heavily, all of their clones long since gone, when Shizune found them.
 
“Naruto,” she said, “The Hokage needs to see you. It seems word has reached her of Jiraya-sama. Sasuke, she says you should find…er…the others and prepare for a mission.”
 
Sasuke immediately stood upright and nodded sharply, then stuck his hands into his pockets, reassuming his usual skulking demeanor.
 
“Later, loser.”
 
“Jerk!” Naruto called after him, waving anyway.
 
Nobody saw the shadow of a smile cross Sasuke's face