Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Smiling Mask of ANBU ❯ The Mission to Wave ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer- I do not own Naruto. It belongs to Masashi Kishimoto. I like how everyone ignored the tests. I think like two people tried. Neither got it. The tenth doctor from the British Sci-fi show Doctor Who is the one that says `I'm alright. I'm always alright.' Also the scene between Naruto and Kakashi is almost the exact same scene as from the anime Tsubasa by Clamp. Fai and Kurogane were the ones in the scene. If you have never seen either show than I suggest you do.
 
Please see my profile for update information. In your reviews please make a note of what side-pairings you'd like to see. As long as they don't mess with the original pairing any will do.
“Talking”
(Thinking)
;Kyuubi:
Kyuubi Talking
`Memories'
 
The Smiling White Mask of Anbu
Chapter 3-The Missionto Wave; The Power of Memories
 
Naruto stared dully at the animal squirming in Sakura's arms. Sighing he walked up and grabbed the cat by its neck and turned it towards him. He stared it in the eye and growled out. “Back off!” The animal stared at him blankly, loose in his hands. Naruto nodded, “Better.” He shifted his grip on the animal until he was wrapping the cat into his arms. He ran his hands through its fur and looked over at his other teammates. He grinned at their shocked looks. “It's an animal thing.” He stated, grinning in a feral manner.
 
Kakashi chuckled slightly and shook his head in amusement. “Well, we've got the cat. Let's go back.” Naruto nodded and followed his teacher after giving his teammates a final grin that showed off his overly sharp teeth. Kyuubi chuckled in his head. “You like messing with their heads, don't you kit?” He gave a small nod, a wicked grin crossing his face. (Oh, you bet. Where else am I supposed to get my amusement?) He chuckled; making sure the sound reached his teammates. Sakura and Sasuke jumped slightly and sent him wide-eyed looks. Kakashi on the other hand shot him another amused look, showing that he knew what he was trying to do. He merely grinned at him.
 
When they got to the tower Naruto moved to hand over the cat. It started wiggling in his arms the closer he got to its owner. He frowned and let out a sharp, “Sh!” The cat froze. He nodded in approval and handed it over. Calmly he walked over to the mission's desk and listened with half an ear as the Hokage listened off missions. He was brought out of his daze when Sakura shouted, “No! We've done those missions at least twice already! Don't you have something else!” Naruto arched an eyebrow. (Wow! Where did that come from?)
 
Iruka stood up and started to lecture Sakura. Saratobi met Naruto's eyes with questioning eyes. The blonde lifted one shoulder slightly in a shrug. The Hokage nodded and picked up a scroll. “I might have one.” Iruka looked like he was going to protest when he caught Naruto's eye. The Anbu shook his head slightly. He sighed and sat down.
 
Hokage carefully explained the situation to them before beckoning the bridge builder inside. Naruto winkled his nose when he saw the man was drunk. “These kids are supposed to protect me? That little kid looks like he could barely take down the other boy.” Naruto frowned sharply at the man before smiling brightly. “How to Survive Traveling with Shinobi Rule 1: Never insult the highly trained assassin no matter their age or size. Rule 2: Don't insult the ones assigned to protect you.” He stated, grinning darkly at the man. The Hokage shook his head. “That's enough Naruto.”
 
Kakashi turned towards his team and shook his head. “Alright everyone. Go home and pack for about a week's journey. Meet up at the gate in an hour.” Naruto nodded and started to leave the room with his team when charka shot through the Anbu mark on his arm, making it warm slightly. He didn't stop walking but looked over his shoulder briefly to see the Hokage staring at him intently. He nodded slightly before turning around again.
 
He broke away from his team once he exited the building. After making sure he was far enough he doubled back and reentered the building. He quickly made his way to the Hokage's office. He entered and dropped briefly to one knee before rising again. “You called, Hokage-sama?” Saratobi nodded and shifted through the notes on his desk. “I have reliable Intel that there are some very high-profile missing Nins after the man you're now protecting.”
 
Naruto blinked and shook his head. He gently rubbed at one ear. “Excuse me? I think I misheard you because I'm pretty sure you did not just say that you had given a Genin team an assignment that was possibly very deadly and could probably kill them.” Saratobi smiled softly. “I'm afraid that's exactly what I said Naruto. I'm telling you this so that you can prepare yourself properly. Be careful, Naruto. I want you all to come back alive. All of you.” Naruto looked away. “No promises, Jiji.” He whispered before he turned and walked away.
----
He entered his house silently. Walking through the small portion he actually used he shredded the clothes he was wearing. In his room he pulled on black cargo pants, a black muscle shirt, and a green jacket with black lining. He reached into his closet and pulled out the pouch containing his seals and attached that to his belt beside his normal pouch. He considered bringing his senbon but decided against it. He was almost out the door when something dark blue caught his eye. He turned and winced when he saw the item lying near the door. He wanted to leave it, he truly did but he couldn't. He sighed and leaned down, picking it up and after making sure it secure in its case left the house.
----
Kit.” The Kyuubi warned. Naruto nodded, “I see it.” He whispered. He tightened his grip on the dark blue case and stared hard at the puddle lying on the side of the road. He pushed everything out of his mind and kept his entire focus on the puddle even as he walked past. “Seriously, Naruto, what is that thing?” Sakura asked when she saw him tighten his grip. They had asked him repeatedly but he had not answered. Once again the question was ignored. Sakura sighed before turning around in time to see her sensei get torn to pieces. She screamed.
 
Naruto turned, eyes glaring at the men approaching him. He twisted his wrist, causing the case to fall away, and gathered charka. The tessen snapped open and, with a sharp lift of the big fan, his enemies were blown away. He snapped it closed and turned his head to the left. “Are you alright, Sensei?” he asked.
 
Kakashi appeared next to him. “Very good, Naruto.” The blonde nodded and walked forward. He placed one foot on each side of one of the guys head and stared down at him unblinking. “The Demon Brothers, Chunin level missing-nin.” He turned his head and pinned Tazuna with dark blue eyes. “I don't like being lied to.” He stated. The man started to stutter. Kakashi stepped forward. “Unfortunately, Naruto is right. Missing-nins have no need to bother a Genin team. But they might have plenty of reason to attack their cargo.”
 
Naruto listened as the man started to explain his situation. A part of his heart melted. Kakashi turned back to his team, “Well, it's up to you. Do you want to turn back?” Naruto examined his team as well. They looked undecided, Sakura even looked scared. He sighed. “I don't like being lied to. Especially on something as important as mission rank. However, I refuse to condemn an entire village because of the mistakes of one old man.” Kakashi smiled at him in approval. His teammates nodded as they realized he was right. “Well, it looks like we continue.”
----
They were crossing the river when Sasuke turned towards him in question. “What was the weapon you used on the missing-nins?” Naruto sighed and slid his weapon over. Sasuke shook the case off and opened the tessen. He stared at the dark blue material and intertwining dragons printed on it. “A fan?” He asked, staring at the blonde.
 
Naruto sighed and nodded. “It's a tessen. It used mainly for people with a wind affinity.” Kakashi leaned over Sasuke's shoulder and examined the fan. “It's pretty old. Why not get a new one?” Naruto snatched the weapon back and put it away. “It has sentimental value.” He didn't say anything else on the subject.
----
Naruto twitched as his senses picked up movement. “It's just an animal, Kit. Relax, you're too tense.” He frowned and glanced around as a mist rolled in. (Something's wrong.) he thought, his grip tightening on the tessen. His eyes widened. “Everyone down!” He shouted and grabbed Sakura and pulled her down. A large sword spun over their heads.
 
Naruto looked up with narrowed eyes to see the last person he expected. (Zabuza, the Demon of the Mist. What is he doing here?) He thought. Slowly he stood up; keeping his eyes pinned on the figure standing on the sword. “Kit, stop. Let Kakashi handle it.” Naruto growled but didn't move. He let Kakashi work through the fight and smiled slightly when the man said that he would not allow his comrades to die. But the next minute his was forced to interfere when he felt Zabuza appear behind him. He snapped the tessen open and sent a gust of wind at the swordsman.
 
Zabuza moved away and stared at the blonde in suspicion. There was something off about the Genin. He seemed almost dangerous… Zabuza shook the thought from his head and moved away when Kakashi took a swing at him. “You guys okay?” Kakashi shouted. Naruto nodded. “We're fine, sensei.” He stated his voice a bare whisper.
 
Kakashi glanced over at his student. Saratobi's words echoed back to him. `When Naruto whispers know it's okay to be scared. In fact you'd have to be insane not to feel a bit of fear.' At the time Kakashi hadn't known what the Hokage had meant and had thought the man was joking. But now he could see the reasoning behind the man's advice. Naruto looked dangerous now with his soft voice containing no infection or emotion and the cold look on his face. For the first time Kakashi was uncomfortably aware of the fact that the boy was a ninja. That the boy was a killer. And for the first time Kakashi realized Naruto really could be just that.
 
Naruto watched with a critical eye as the two started fighting again and knew the minute Kakashi made his fatal error. “Idiot!” He shouted as his sensei was thrown into the water. He ran forward but was unable to stop the man from being trapped. He slid to a stop and stared at Zabuza with cold blue eyes. He knew that despite all the weapons he could use his eyes had the most effect. And their power worked again as he felt Zabuza's charka spike in something that could be seen as warning or worry.
 
He turned and faced the water clone with the same intense blue glare and let the tessen fall open. “Naruto, no! Just run!” Kakashi shouted. Naruto shook his head. “No, I refuse.” Kakashi's eyes were worried. “Naruto forget your pride! Just GO!” The blonde shook his head. “This isn't pride Kakashi-sensei. Just like you will not allow a comrade to die I refuse to loose any more people close to me.” `Well, what do you think,Kaze-kun?' “I will not allow Team 7 to befall that curse.” `I'm sorryKaze-kun…' “I will never allow that to happen again.” `So just the one survived?' He looked up, shaking the memories from his head, and tightened his grip on the tessen. “Never again!”
 
He sent out a large gust of wind before running forward and ducking around the clone. He gathered charka and launched his attack at the real Zabuza. “Kamaitachi-no-Jutsu!” The blades cut through the water at high speed. Zabuza had no choice but to jump away and Kakashi plunged himself into the water beneath the blades. Naruto took a deep breath and returned his attention to the clone. He jumped away from the sword and shouted towards his team. “Help would be highly appreciated!”
 
Sasuke ran forward and joined him, seeming to know just when to strike to match his technique to Naruto's own while Sakura stayed behind to protect Tazuna. Finally they managed to hit the clone and it exploded into water. Naruto sighed and turned his attention back to his sensei's fight. (This would be going so much quicker if I didn't have to hold back.)
 
His eyes widened when he felt the amount of charka being gathered. He stared in wonder as the two released the same jutsu. He winced slightly as Zabuza was slammed into the tree and was about to help when his senses flared out. (What's that?) He blinked in surprise when three needles flew into Zabuza's neck and looked around. He calmed slightly when he noticed a Hunter-nin coming towards them. “Thank you for your help.” The Nin whispered and gently picked up the body. Alarms flared in Naruto's head. He had worked with Hunters enough to know their routine and this situation was breaking the most basic Hunter-nin rules he knew. He was about to stop the man when Kakashi interfered. “Let them go, Naruto.”
Naruto stared at Kakashi in confusion. (What is going on in that head of yours Hatake?) Kyuubi sighed and Naruto could almost see the great beast shaking its head. “Look at him Naruto. The man's tired and suffering from charka exhaustion. He probably is too tired to think straight.” Naruto sighed but backed down. He turned and placed a hand on his sensei's arm. He stared the man in the eye and nodded. Kakashi smiled and let himself sink into darkness. Naruto sighed and shifted his grip. “Sasuke, help m move him. He's exhausted and is going to be out for a while.” Sasuke frowned in confusion but moved to help the blonde. Sakura smiled and carefully looked both boys over for injuries before letting the group continue on. Team 7 was slowly starting to trust each other.