Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Time Travel is Impossible, at Least for Humans ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
Wow! Thanks for the great reviews! And no one killed me for killing Iruka! Does no one love him anymore?
 
Chapter 2
 
 
Iruka blinked and stretched sleepily before rolling over and hitting his alarm clock. He hated the stupid thing and wanted nothing more than to spend all day in bed but he needed to get up so he did. He staggered into the bathroom and got into the shower, hoping it would wake him up. Why was he so tired this morning? He blearily made his way over to the sink and stared at his reflection in the fogged mirror. He wiped it dry with his towel and frowned slightly at his reflection. Something was wrong, different. His legs suddenly gave way as he clutched at his head, groaning in pain as image after image assaulted his mind. He was extremely grateful when he passed out.
 
Iruka groaned and slowly pulled himself to his feet, using the sink to keep himself steady. He stared at his reflection again and smiled at himself, it had worked. Now all he needed to do was find his calendar and then work out a training schedule. His younger body simply didn't have the abilities of his older one. It felt odd being twenty-two again but he would adjust quickly enough.
 
---------------------------
The first time he saw Sandaime he literally had to bite his tongue to keep from confessing everything. He'd missed his mentor so much the last two years but he had been warned of the consequences of revealing what he knew. Most of the transition from future to past was blank but remembered the ghostly voice warning him not to speak of what he knew or he would face the consequences.
 
“Something wrong Iruka?”
 
“No Hokage-sama, just lost in thought.” He smiled and Sarutobi nodded. They went back to work, going over the year's graduates to make the genin teams.
 
One thing was really bothering Iruka and as the date approached he became restless. The Uchiha massacre was only a week away and he didn't know what to do about it. If he stopped it somehow then Sasuke would end up a totally different person and the coming events would diverge from what he remembered making it harder for him to know how change things but if he didn't do anything he'd have a lot of deaths on his conscious. Could he confront Itachi? Find out why he had really done it? But could he take Itachi out if it came down to that? He was nowhere near the level he had been before coming back. Six years from now he would be confident of the outcome of any fight, he didn't have to get close to stop him. But now? In a fair fight he was no match for the Uchiha prodigy.
 
--------------------------
“Hello Itachi-kun.”
 
“Iruka-sensei.” The thirteen year old greeted coolly. At Sandaime's suggestion it had been Iruka who had taught Itachi most of the suiton jutsu he knew and they had become closer than Itachi let most people during that time but hadn't seen much of each other since then.
 
“How have you been?” Iruka asked, moving to lean against a tree.
 
“Fine. Was there something you needed?” Iruka took a deep breath, this was it.
 
“What happened with Shisui? I know you have the Mangekyo.” Iruka said softly. Itachi's eyes widened ever so slightly.
 
“How?” He demanded coldly.
 
“Does it matter? Talk to me Itachi, please.” Iruka met his eyes, unafraid. He didn't believe the teen was irredeemable yet; after all he would spare Sasuke in a few days.
 
“Stay away from me.” Itachi spun to leave.
 
“Is your clan planning something? Is that why you plan to kill them?” Iruka suddenly found the air being slammed out of him as his back hit the tree he'd been leaning against rather forcefully, Itachi's kunai at his throat.
 
“How do you know?”
 
“Tell me Itachi, don't go down that path.” Iruka said instead of answering.
 
“You know nothing.” Itachi spat, kunai digging into Iruka's neck slightly but it was enough to draw a small amount of blood.
 
“I know you won't kill Sasuke. Why everyone else except him?”
 
“Because I have to save him.” Itachi looked surprised that he'd spoken.
 
“From what Itachi?” Iruka asked softly.
 
“The clan. They're going to…” He trailed off.
 
“Go to Sandaime Itachi, let him help you. He'll listen.”
 
“No.” Itachi released him and moved away.
 
“Then find another way. Surely they aren't all guilty. If you kill them you will have to leave and Sasuke will be alone.” Itachi snorted.
 
“He'll have you and this village.”
 
“But not the brother he loves.” Iruka countered gently.
“I saw my parents die Itachi, don't make him live with that pain.”
 
“What do you suggest then?”
 
“Find evidence, expose them. If not then make sure whatever you do can't be traced back to you.” Itachi stared at him, sharingan spinning.
 
“Why are you helping me?” He asked suspiciously.
 
“You were my student if only for a short time. I know you're a good person Itachi. If you say there's something bad going on then I believe you. Keep Sasuke safe, just don't destroy both of you doing so.” With that Iruka left, hoping Itachi would do the right thing.
 
---------------------------
Kakashi stood silently as Tsunade spoke of Iruka and Naruto sobbed into his shirt. Jiriaya had returned with the teen two days ago because Kakashi had insisted the blonde be present for his sensei's funeral. Tsunade had reluctantly agreed and had held off the funeral until they had returned. Sasuke stood silently beside them. The Uchiha survivor had no memory of anything after Orochimaru had given him the seal during the exams and no one could figure out why he didn't remember. Kakashi had the feeling it was Iruka's doing though, his way of truly giving the teen a second chance. Sasuke had been told that the chuunin had saved his life and the teen was honestly sorry about his death. Iruka had been one of the few to never pity him, knowing to some degree what Sasuke was going through.
 
The funeral was as packed as Sandaime's had been. Everyone had known and loved the cheerful, friendly teacher who was always willing to lend a hand and he would be sorely missed.
 
“It's not fair Kakashi-sensei.” Naruto said softly and Kakashi looked down at him, wrapping his arm around the teen's shoulders gently.
“Why'd he have to die?” The blonde sniffed.
 
“He died doing what he believed was right. He saved a lot of lives Naruto.” Kakashi said softly. Looking at the blonde he felt bad for all the times had had ignored him in favour of Sasuke. Before Naruto had had Iruka to turn to when that happened but now he didn't and Kakashi was determined to give him no reason to need to turn to someone else. He couldn't take Iruka's place but he swore to be there for Naruto when he needed him.
 
“He wasn't meant to die!” Silently Kakashi agreed. He'd never gotten the chance to give Iruka a response to his kiss and now he never would. He walked slowly to the front and stared at the photo of a smiling Iruka before placing his flower in front of it.
 
“I love you Iruka.” He breathed and then left.
 
-----------------------------
“You wanted to see me Sandaime-sama?”
 
“I had an interesting conversation with Itachi earlier. You'll need to be prepared to help the students deal with what will happen.”
 
“What will happen sir?”
 
“The execution of over half of the adult Uchiha for treason.” Sandaime said gravely and Iruka nodded.
 
“Hai Hokage-sama.” Iruka bowed and went to leave.
 
“I don't know how you knew or what you said but good work.” Iruka kept his face carefully blank as he left, deep in thought. He didn't even notice when he bumped into someone.
 
“Easy there.” Iruka blinked and then blushed as he noticed the gloved hands on his shoulders to steady him.
 
“Sorry…” He trailed off as he looked up into a familiar masked face. He swallowed and smiled nervously.
 
“Are you alright?” Kakashi's visible eye crinkled in concern.
 
“I'm fine Hatake-san, please forgive me for running into you.” He bowed politely, hoping Kakashi couldn't hear his heart pounding.
 
“You're sure?” Iruka nodded.
“No problem then.” Kakashi left and Iruka slumped against the wall. That certainly hadn't happened last time round.
 
-------------------------
Iruka stood slightly behind Itachi and Sasuke as the majority f their clan was executed, a sobbing newly made orphan in his arms and another clinging to his leg. Things were now very different from what he remembered but hopefully he could still stop the worst things form happening. The Uchiha was now a clan of orphans and widows with very few adult males but at least the clan still existed. He stayed longer than the `spectators', offering silent support until Itachi finally turned Sasuke away from the scene. The young Anbu captain met his eyes briefly, a flash of gratitude in their dark depths. Iruka gave a small nod and then helped gather the children, herding them back towards the Uchiha district.
 
---------------------
“Got a secret crush?” Kakashi looked over at Anko.
“Admit it, I've seen you watching him. He's not bad looking at all and he's one of the nicest guys in the village, as long as you don't make him mad.” She teased, looking at the chuunin herself.
 
“I don't have a crush Anko. He's a puzzle, that's all.”
 
“Iruka-kun a puzzle?” She gave him a weird look.
 
“You didn't see the look that passed between him and Itachi at the execution.” Anko shrugged in answer.
 
“Iruka taught Itachi for a bit, I heard the Hokage when he asked him to. Plus he's Sasuke's teacher now. He's probably closer to them than anyone outside their clan.”
 
“He taught Itachi?” That caught his attention.
 
“Yeah, a few years back. No idea what though. Who knows, maybe Ruka's a hunter-nin or something and has everyone fooled.” She laughed, not believing her own words but Kakashi looked back at the teacher. Was it possible?
 
-----------------------------
Kakashi watched from the trees as Iruka marked papers while relaxing against the trunk of a tree. Ever since his talk with Anko he couldn't get the idea that there was more to the chuunin than was obvious out of his head. So he had taken to following him. He had watched as Iruka spent time with the new orphans, treated the kyuubi boy to ramen, taught, worked at the missions' desk, even as he slept and had seen nothing out of the ordinary. And yet here he was still watching him three weeks later.
 
“Is there a reason you've been following me Hatake-san? Or is it simply you have nothing better to do?” Iruka looked straight at him making Kakashi start in surprise. Since he'd been spotted he dropped to the ground.
“Well?”
 
“How did you know?”
 
“I may only be a chuunin Hatake-san but I teach children how to wield deadly weapons. You'll find teachers are very aware of our surroundings and who's in them.” Iruka answered with an amused smile.
 
“Oh.”
 
“So…?”
 
“You're a puzzle.” Kakashi blurted and then felt like hitting himself. Iruka laughed.
 
“Most people would say that about you, not me.”
 
“Everyone knows you but they also don't.” Kakashi said quietly and Iruka stiffened ever so slightly but it was enough for Kakashi to notice.
“I think only Sandaime may truly know you.”
 
“He's always been there for me, even before my parents…of course he knows me better than friends I've made as an adult.” Iruka shrugged as if unconcerned.
 
“What about childhood friends?” Kakashi asked, curious since no one really talked about as a child.
 
“Dead on missions. I'm the only one left of my genin team.” Kakashi fought a wince at the reminder of his own past.
“I need to get back, I promised Naruto dinner.” He began gathering his papers and Kakashi moved to help, earning a surprised look form the sensei.
 
“Your parents died in the Kyuubi attack. How do you…” He trailed off at the look on Iruka's face.
 
“Naruto is not the fox, he is an innocent child who has had to bare the hate of others for no reason! I'd have thought you'd have more faith in you sensei's work.” With that Iruka was gone and Kakashi sighed. That went well.
 
------------------------------
Iruka practically threw his paperwork down on the table. How dare he! Did Kakashi really think of Naruto as the demon? Was that part of the reason he'd always focused on Sasuke so much? Iruka collapsed on the couch and then groaned. Or had he simply been trying to figure out what Iruka thought of the boy? If that was the case he owed the other man an apology. He smiled as he felt a familiar bundle of energy coming towards his apartment. He stood as an enthusiastic knock sounded.
 
“Iruka-sensei? Are you ready?”
 
“Coming Naruto.”
 
TBC…