Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Time Travel is Impossible, at Least for Humans ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own Naruto.
Thanks for all the wonderful reviews; I had no idea people would like this so much!
 
Chapter 3
 
 
“I have a surprise for you.” Kakashi turned slightly to see Iruka and Naruto walking down the street.
 
“Really? What is it?” Naruto bounced excitedly earning glares from the other people around. To everyone's shock sweet, mild-mannered Iruka glared back, pulling Naruto closer protectively and giving a silent warning that the boy was under his protection. Kakashi smiled, about time someone openly stood up for the child.
“Come on sensei tell me.” Naruto pouted.
 
“It's a surprise Naruto, if I tell you it will spoil it.” Iruka explained with a smile.
 
“Awe, but…” Iruka grinned and bent to whisper something. Naruto's face brightened and he nodded. Curious, Kakashi followed them to an out of the way training ground.
“My surprise is here?”
 
“It's meant to be but with the way you dragged me here we must be early.”
 
“You're right on time Iruka-sensei.” Kakashi's eyebrow rose in surprise as Itachi stepped into view. Naruto moved closer to Iruka who placed his hands on the boys' shoulders.
 
“Naruto this is Uchiha Itachi, Sasuke's older brother. He's agreed to give you training outside of class since I'm not allowed to.” Iruka explained and Naruto perked up.
 
“Really?” Iruka smiled and nodded.
“Great! Hi!” Itachi nodded in response.
“Thanks Iruka-sensei and, um…” Naruto looked at his new teacher.
 
“Itachi will do. Lets start.” Itachi motioned for Naruto to follow him.
 
“Good luck, I'll see you tonight.” Iruka called.
 
“Bye Iruka-sensei!” Iruka watched them and then walked away.
 
“Stalking me again?” Iruka called and Kakashi moved to walk beside him.
 
“Just curious. Why does Itachi call you sensei? You weren't a teacher when he was at the Academy were you?”
 
“No, but Sandaime asked me to teach him a few things and I agreed.” Iruka answered.
 
“Things?” Iruka looked at him and then sighed.
 
“Konoha isn't exactly known for suiton jutsu. My family is originally from Mist. It made me the logical choice for some unofficial training.”
 
“I always wondered where he picked those up. Also explains your name.” Iruka just shrugged. He studied Kakashi as they walked back towards the centre of the village.
 
“Naruto and I are having dinner tonight, you're welcome to join us.” He invited quietly. Kakashi shot him a surprised look.
“You said I'm a puzzle, here's a chance to solve it a bit and get to know Naruto.”
 
“I trust my sensei's work. He's mischievous but there's no malice in his actions. What I said…most in your circumstances wouldn't be able to see past it.”
 
“We meet at the ramen stand at six.” Iruka told him, flashing him a smile before leaving. Kakashi stopped walking and pulled out his book. So he was being given a chance to work Iruka out, he wasn't going to say no to that.
 
-------------------------
Iruka lay on the ground, his whole body in agony. He'd forgotten about this mission and he was regretting that now. His teammates were dead, he'd been poisoned a lot more than last time around and the missing-nin were closing in. Last time he'd been rescued but this time he was saving himself. Concentrating he slowed the blood flow around the wound to nearly a stop, slowing the poisons spread and stopping the blood loss. With his eyes closed he pinpointed the only humans within twenty miles and proceeded to play dead. The first time around he hadn't had the control necessary to do all this, then again he hadn't needed to since he had barely been nicked by the poisoned blade, but now he did and he was going to use it.
 
“Poison got him.” He remained limp as a foot kicked him over onto his back.
 
“Pity, I wanted to play some more.”
 
“Play with this.” Iruka snarled as he attacked.
 
--------------------------
“Hokage-sama!” Sandaime stopped Kakashi's report and turned his attention to the out of breath genin.
“Iruka-sensei!”
 
“Tell him and his team to file their reports then.” The boy shook his head wildly.
 
“He's alone and hurt bad. Sensei's taking him to the hospital.” That explained why a genin had come with the news. Sarutobi stood and Kakashi moved with him.
 
“Kakashi?”
 
“He's my friend Hokage-sama.” It was true, in the last year they had become friends and for that Kakashi was grateful. Sarutobi nodded and they rushed to the hospital.
 
“Poison.” The doctor stated.
“Frankly it's a miracle he made it back at all, it should have killed him within minutes. We've administrated the antidote, its up to him now but he's made it this long so he does have a chance. He was holding these.” The doctor handed over five damaged hitai-ate's, two from Konoha and the others from grass but with a line through them, missing-nin.
 
“May we see him?”
 
“He's unconscious… Keep it short and quiet.” They nodded and entered the room. Iruka was lying pale and still on a bed in the middle of the room, several IV's attached and an oxygen mask over his face. Kakashi hesitantly took a limp hand in his.
 
“Iruka-kun is stronger than you know Kakashi, he'll pull through.” Sarutobi smiled as he watched Kakashi, perhaps Iruka would finally be able to trust someone else with his secret.
 
“How did he even make it back? The doctor said…”
 
“He is an amazing person Kakashi, one with many gifts. That he survived to make it home…he's improved more than I'd suspected.”
 
“Hokage-sama?” Kakashi didn't understand, gifts? Did Iruka have some sort of bloodline?
 
“It is not for me to say, only Iruka can tell you. But do not expect him to, in twenty-three years he has told exactly one person, me. He is more precious than you can imagine. Cherish his friendship Kakashi.” With that the Hokage left them alone. Kakashi squeezed Iruka's hand gently.
 
“You made it home Iruka, just rest and heal. I'll watch over the kids for you.” He promised and then looked down in surprise as he felt the weakest pressure against his hand.
“Iruka? Can you hear me?” More pressure.
“You're safe, go to sleep. You were poisoned so you need to let the antidote do its job.” He explained and glazed brown eyes struggled open for a second as if double-checking he was really safe.
“Sleep Ruka.” Iruka's hand went limp and Kakashi left, not wanting to be kicked out.
 
-----------------------
Iruka groaned, not wanting to wake up but unable to stop himself.
 
“He made a noise! Is he waking up?”
 
“Quiet Naruto-kun, he won't be feeling very well.” Itachi? What was he doing in Konoha? And with Naruto? Wait, wasn't Naruto on a training trip with Jiriaya? Now he really needed to wake up.
“Relax sensei, you're safe in Konoha. Your mission was successful.” Itachi said calmly but there was more warmth in his voice than he remembered. Confused Iruka forced his eyes open and blinked the tears away. He looked from a nine-year-old Naruto to a fourteen year old Itachi and everything flooded back, including the mission. He managed a weak smile for the two and Naruto beamed back, even Itachi's lips twitched.
 
“How long? “He managed to croak and Itachi held a straw to his lips.
 
“Two weeks. You nearly died two days after being admitted but they managed to revive you. Considering the poison you were given kills in minutes your survival is a miracle.” Itachi explained.
 
“Kakashi's barely left your side cept when the doctors threaten to ban him. The old man's been by a lot too. Sasuke just went to grab a drink. You got lots of flowers.” Naruto told him. Iruka weakly held out a hand and the boy grabbed it, unshed tears in his eyes.
 
“It's okay, not leaving you.” He whispered tiredly.
 
“We'll let you rest Iruka-sensei.” Itachi said, sensing how hard he was fighting to stay awake.
“I'll let the doctors know you woke.”
 
“Bye Iruka-sensei!” Naruto tried to be cheerful as Itachi led him from the room.
 
The next time he woke up he found a nest of grey hair on his chest. Iruka smiled and ran his fingers through it, waking the owner. Kakashi sat up and blinked before his eyes widened in surprise and then happiness.
 
“Hey.” Iruka greeted and then coughed. Kakashi helped him drink some water.
 
“You gave us all a pretty good scare.” Kakashi admitted softly making Iruka grab his hand weakly.
 
“Wasn't going to leave you to look after the kids.” Iruka assured him. Kakashi looking after Naruto, Itachi and Sasuke? That would be a disaster!
“Heard you, knew you were here. Thanks.”
 
“That's what friends are for.” Kakashi told him, pushing tangled brown locks off of his face for him. Iruka pulled a face.
 
“Need a shower.”
 
“Don't think you'll get one for a while. Doctor said you'd be pretty weak for a while. Maybe you'll get lucky and a pretty nurse'll give you a sponge bath.” Iruka smiled tiredly, already drifting off again.
 
“Rather you.” His eyes closed and Kakashi stared at the sleeping man in shock. It was the drugs talking, right? He'd never looked at another male that way before and he hadn't known Iruka did. Or maybe he was reading too much into it and Iruka was saying he'd rather have a friend than a stranger helping him.
 
------------------------------
You're up!” Naruto yelled, making the others hush him. Sure enough Iruka was up although leaning very heavily on the nurse that was helping him around the room.
 
“We'll finish later Umino-san. Enjoy your visit.” The nurse left the five of them alone.
 
“How much longer will you be in here?” Kakashi asked as the group moved further into the room.
 
“Until I can get around on my own. No point sending me home if I'm going to fall and end up right back in here. They think two weeks but that's the minimum estimate.” Iruka hated hospitals and having to stay for so long was not helping any. He was doing what he could to speed his recovery without rousing suspicion but it wasn't much. Without supervision he could be back to full health in those two weeks but he couldn't afford to draw that much attention to himself.
 
“Hopefully you'll be back at the Academy soon, before the replacement sensei and Naruto try to kill each other.” Sasuke commented making everyone look at the blonde.
 
“He called me a monster.” Naruto whispered defensively and Iruka closed his eyes in pain.
 
“Come here Naruto.” Iruka held out his hand to the boy and when he took it pulled him into his arms.
“Don't listen to him or anyone else who calls you those things. They don't know you.” Iruka told him, voice thick with anger and tears.
 
“He's right. A sensei especially should not be saying those things.” Itachi stated coldly and the adults present knew that teacher would be receiving an unofficial Anbu visit later. A knock sounded and the Hokage opened the door.
 
“Hey old man!” Naruto greeted cheerfully but they could all tell it was forced.
 
“Hello Naruto-kun. Enjoying your visit?” Sarutobi smiled at the boy who nodded.
 
“Iruka-sensei was walking. He can go home soon!”
 
“That's excellent news. May I have a few minutes with him alone?”
 
“Okay. Bye Iruka-sensei.” Naruto hugged him and the others gave more sedate farewells.
 
“I hope Naruto hasn't tired you out.” Sarutobi smiled and Iruka laughed.
 
“No, I enjoy his visits a lot. Did you want to speak to me about something?”
 
“The mission.”
 
“You want to know how I survived long enough to get back here. I stopped the blood flow as long as I could without risking permanent damage, let it flow slowly for a while and then stopped it again. By the time I made it I was so exhausted I must have passed out and lost control, letting the blood flow freely again.”
 
“So you've been practising.”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Why Iruka? After what happened you said you'd never rely on those abilities again. What has changed?”
 
“Something's coming, something bad. I have to be ready.” Iruka said quietly. He wanted so badly to confide in Sarutobi but he couldn't. Sandaime squeezed his shoulder in comfort. Iruka fell back against the pillows, exhausted.
 
“Could you accelerate your healing?” Iruka nodded.
 
“I could be back to full health in two weeks maximum.” He admitted and Sarutobi frowned in thought.
 
“Then I know what to do.”
 
TBC…