Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Time Travel is Impossible, at Least for Humans ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
 
Chapter 4
 
 
Kakashi put Iruka down on the couch gently. Looking around the small house he found that the kitchen had been well stocked for two. He ducked down the hall and put their packs in their rooms, claiming the front one for himself.
 
“Nice place. Kitchen's stocked and the beds are even made.” Iruka looked at him, eyes wide.
 
“Beds?” He questioned, a sinking feeling in his stomach.
 
“Didn't Sandaime tell you? I'm staying with you. What else were you expecting Iruka? You can't walk yet without a lot of help.” Iruka closed his eyes and rubbed at his scar.
 
“Meddler.” He muttered. He knew the Hokage wanted him to tell someone but Kakashi? Okay so he was in love with the guy or at least he was in love with the other, older Kakashi but this one was different, younger and not as perverted. And if he told him then what? Kakashi would treat him differently, maybe even fear him. Even his parents had, they'd still loved him, he'd never doubted that for a second, but they hadn't been entirely sure how to act around him, how to treat him and it had hurt.
 
“Iruka?” Kakashi asked, worried by his silence.
 
“It's okay, just his way of saying I should let you solve the puzzle.”
 
“But you don't want to?” There was no hiding the hurt in Kakashi's voice.
 
“NO! I do want to its just…I'm, scared.” Iruka whispered the last, turning away.
“My own parents couldn't deal with it.” He fought the tears and stiffened slightly as he felt the couch dip under Kakashi's weight, a hand touching Iruka's shoulder gently.
 
“I'm not your parents Iruka, I'm your friend.”
 
“I don't want to loose that.” Iruka turned to look at him sadly.
 
“You won't. Well, unless you turn traitor or something, that could seriously strain things.” Kakashi tried to lighten the mood a little and Iruka managed a wane smile.
“I won't push you Ruka, you'll tell me or not when you want to.”
 
“But you won't be able to keep from questioning, that's why I'm meant to be here alone.”
 
“Then tell me to mind my own business. I trust you Iruka.” He stood and moved into the kitchen.
“Want to talk me through dinner?”
 
----------------------
Iruka stared up at the ceiling, unable to sleep. Dinner had been a little overcooked but edible and the conversation had been kept light. But he couldn't sleep because he didn't know what to do. He wanted to trust Kakashi, to believe that what he was wouldn't change things but it was so hard.
 
“You're thinking so hard I can hear you.” Iruka looked up to see Kakashi leaning in the doorway, minus his shirt. Blood rushed to his face and he was glad that it was very dark in his room so that Kakashi wouldn't see his blush.
“Go to sleep Iruka, don't worry about anything. I won't push you.” He turned to go.
 
“I'm sorry.” Iruka whispered. Kakashi turned back for a minute.
 
“Don't be, Sandaime shouldn't have tried to make you tell me.” Kakashi assured him and then left.
 
-----------------------
Three days later Kakashi was seriously regretting telling Iruka he wouldn't push. Somehow the other man was healing at an insane rate. His appetite had increased, obviously to compensate for the healing and his energy levels were improving fast. He was able to hobbled short distances unaided already and no longer fell asleep mid-conversation. The only person Kakashi knew that healed so fast was Naruto but Iruka wasn't a demon vessel, he'd checked twice for the distinctive chakra.
 
Iruka could see the confusion and wonder in Kakashi's eyes at how fast he was suddenly healing but so far the other ninja hadn't asked him anything. And while he was obviously curious he wasn't treating Iruka any differently. Could he tell him?
 
--------------------------------
Iruka smiled as he saw Kakashi stretched out on a rock like some sort of sunbathing cat. The time away from Konoha was doing the other man good; he was relaxing and having a good time. Iruka took the time to admire Kakashi, knowing that after today he may never be allowed this close again. He slowly walked over and sat down next to the rock.
 
“You didn't stumble once.” Kakashi praised, proving that he had been watching even though he didn't appear to be.
 
“I'm almost healed.” Iruka said softly, leaning his head against Kakashi's rock.
“I…I need to talk to you Kakashi.” Hearing the hesitancy in his friends voice Kakashi slid off the rock to sit beside him in the grass.
 
“Iruka you don't” He was silenced by Iruka's hand over his mouth.
 
“I want you to know. Just…don't pull away from the others because of me. You'll never see me again if that's what you want just don't make the kids pay.” Iruka begged and Kakashi nodded slowly, worried about what Iruka had to tell him that could be so bad.
“What do you know of my family?” Iruka asked quietly.
 
“That you're the only Umino in Konoha and you told me your family is originally from Mist…you have a bloodline?” Kakashi asked, trying to work out where this was going and why his family had left Mist. But if that were the case then why keep it a secret? Konoha had no problems with bloodlines at all unlike Mist.
 
“No, at least not what you'd call one. It was passed down through my family but I'm the only one in a very long time. I…” Iruka swallowed and looked down, unable to say it. He started as Kakashi actually hugged him gently even if it was awkward.
 
“It'll be okay.”
 
“No it won't.” Iruka said softly.
“I'm not human Kakashi.” There, he'd finally said it. Kakashi was silent but didn't remove his arms and for that Iruka was grateful. Even if he pulled away once he'd processed exactly what he'd been told Iruka would at least always have this memory.
 
“I don't understand.” Kakashi said finally, confusion clear in his voice.
 
“What's not to understand? I'm not human. When I turned ten it became obvious I was different my parents went to Sandaime since he was the one that gave my Grandfather and his wife sanctuary. I know my parents still loved me but they grew distant, only Sandaime didn't. He'd seek me out to talk, play shogi, and eat together. He's never treated me any differently.” Kakashi studied his friend closely even as he listened. What made them so sure Iruka wasn't human and if he wasn't then what was he?
 
“If not…then…well…” Kakashi stumbled, trying to find the right way to ask.
 
“What am I?” Iruka supplied and Kakashi nodded. He released Iruka from the hug but before he could run Kakashi simply moved so that they were sitting face to face and grasped his hand. Iruka stared in shock at their clasped hands and then up at Kakashi who smiled at him in encouragement. Iruka was confused, why wasn't he making him leave?
“We're not one hundred percent sure even after Sandaime and I poured over every myth and legend we could find particularly those from Mist but we do know I'm some sort of water sprite. My powers lie with water, any liquid really which makes sense.” Iruka shrugged still watching Kakashi closely for every reaction.
 
“But you look human.”
 
“I did till I was ten. This?” Iruka pointed to himself.
“Is an extremely complex illusion I learnt to create based off what I used to look like and my parents thought the scar is very real. I got it when I was five. I don't even know what I look like under it, guess I've been too scared to look.” He explained quietly. Kakashi stood, using their joint hands to pull Iruka up with him. The sun had moved making their spot a little chilly. He gently guided Iruka over to an actual bench in front of the small lake that was on the property. He pushed Iruka down onto it and then sat beside him. He knew that Iruka was scared at that one wrong word would send the younger man running for good and he found himself not wanting that, despite what he was learning.
 
“Is that how you survived the poison?” Iruka nodded, still tense.
 
“I stopped the blood flow for as long as possible and then only let it flow slowly. I've learnt to accelerate my healing by controlling the fluids within my body and I naturally heal faster than a normal human. Usually I consciously slow my healing to keep questions from being asked. I haven't even been sick since I was ten but I take the occasional sick day for the same reason as I slow my healing. This…you…does this bother you?” Iruka held his breath.
 
“I'll admit it's not what I was expecting. But it doesn't change who you are.”
 
“And who is that?” Iruka asked uncertainly.
 
“Umino Iruka, chuunin Academy instructor and big brother to three pretty messed up teens. Not to mention my best friend.” Kakashi told him firmly. Iruka looked down, smiling slightly.
 
“Thank you.” Kakashi wrapped an arm around his shoulders and Iruka finally started to relax.
 
“Thank you for trusting me.” Kakashi said seriously and Iruka squeezed his hand.
 
------------------------------
Iruka smiled as he watched Kakashi come up for air, sputtering. The copy-nin shot him a mock glare before attacking even though it was pointless. In the water Iruka was untouchable as the other man was learning. It had been five days since Iruka had confessed and their friendship was stronger than ever. Kakashi was very curious about Iruka's abilities and was helping him hone them while still making sure he rested and had fun. They had a week left before they had to return to Konoha and with Iruka pretty much back to full strength they were enjoying the holiday to the full. Kakashi was even working on Iruka's inability with fire jutsu's much to the teachers' annoyance. He was a water creature; he wasn't supposed to use fire! But Kakashi didn't want him vulnerable and so he put up with the lessons for his friends sake.
 
----------------------------
Iruka opened the bathroom door and then slammed it shut again, face bright red. Utterly embarrassed he fled to his room, locking to door behind him.
 
“Iruka? Are you alright?” He buried his face in his pillow, ignoring Kakashi's knocking and calls. He jumped slightly as the door crashed open to reveal a worried but now clothed Kakashi.
“Why didn't you answer?” Iruka looked away still blushing.
“Iruka it's nothing to worry about, Anbu showers are communal. I'm not mad that you saw me like that.” Iruka still refused to look at him or speak. Growling in frustration he yanked the younger man to his feet and only then realised why Iruka was so embarrassed.
 
“Sorry.” Iruka muttered, still bright red. Kakashi was surprised and a bit flattered really and then he remembered.
 
“In the hospital when I mentioned the sponge bath…that wasn't the drugs talking was it?” Iruka tried to pull away, mortified. It had been different when he'd kissed the older Kakashi, they weren't as close as they were now and he'd known he'd never see him again but now…very slowly he shook his head, unable to look at his friend.
 
Kakashi stared at Iruka trying to work out how that revelation made him feel. He like Iruka, the younger ninja was the closest friend he had and was one of the few who didn't care that he was the famous copy-nin but those sorts of feelings? He didn't know if he could return Iruka's obvious feelings. He snapped out of his thoughts as Iruka grasped his forearm tightly.
 
“It's okay Kakashi, I don't expect anything. I never planned for you to find out, I didn't want to ruin our friendship. That means more to me than you can imagine. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable around me.”
 
“I never suspected, I thought you were too out from the drugs to realise who it was. I care about you a lot Iruka but…”
“It's fine Kakashi, honest. I never thought you felt that way…its something I need to deal with.” At least he knew now what Kakashi's reaction to his kiss would have been had he been able to move or even speak at the time. Iruka smiled and went to move away but this time Kakashi grabbed his arm.
 
“Just because I know, you don't have to distance yourself. I know a touch or hug is simply that.” Iruka smiled more honestly and nodded, glad that Kakashi wouldn't suddenly pull away from his touch. He was a fairly physical person, not as bad as Naruto, but he liked to touch and be touched and it had taken Kakashi a while to get used to it but Iruka had gotten used to the fact that Kakashi was now comfortable enough to give a brief hug if it was needed. He was very glad he wasn't going to loose that now that Kakashi knew.
 
TBC…