Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Tradition ❯ This is it ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was an alliance made in Heaven, or so they said.  The arranged marriage was intended to unite a family to allow great prosperity for them and their home village.  Everyone would get a cut of some type of profit through this match.  Joy was spread all around.  Except for the very one who was to be married off to the Uchiha family.  

Ura, only sixteen years old, sat in a traditional marriage kimono in her room as she began to put the make up on her face.  She was leaving her village and only allowed to return when her husband accompanied her.  Her emerald eyes were downcasted as she thought of her new life; she would serve her husband and his family, she would be second in command of the servants, and she would give her husband many sons.  As her other friends were satisfied in their arranged marriages from their letters, Ura didn't feel as happy as she thought she did.  Her closest friend Temari was one of the lucky few.  Temari was able to marry a guy that she knew from her childhood and fell in love with him.  Shikamaru was a nice man and gave Temari whatever she wanted.

A knock at the door startled Ura as she turned around quickly to see a pair of cold eyes staring back at her.  Gaara, the youngest son in the Suna family.  He would be able to choose his bride.  But, he hadn't chosen her.  Ura felt longing for him, waiting for him to finally act and step forward to claim her before the marriage.  Even still, if he were to do that, it was far too late.  

“Wish me much luck, Gaara,” Ura managed to put on her best smile as she turned back to her mirror, “Perhaps i'll be able to bear him a quick son and return for celebration.”

“Will you be happy with Sasuke?” Gaara asked after he shut the door behind him.

“Of course,” Ura answered quickly as she began to brush her long, rich brown hair, “I'll be in a well-known family and one day be among the ancestors that I will soon be taking care of.”

“I mean with him,” Gaara commented as he went to the window, “You will be leaving your village to a stranger who has seen too many deaths.”

Ura held her breath for a moment.  That was right, Sasuke had lost his entire family to his elder brother.  She would be the first in command to any servants he had.  There wouldn't be any in-laws to care for when it was just him left in his entire family.  Ura stared at her reflection for a few moments as she gathered her thoughts.  This meant he bartered with her family's representatives himself and accepted the marriaged all on his own.  She was the only one who didn't have the choice in the matter.  There was another thing they didn't have in common.

“I can't answer that,” Ura murmured, “All I can say is that I shall try my best.”

Gaara glanced back at her.  Ura did the same as she felt the deep longing for him grow.  Why hadn't he said anything yet?  She would leave happyily knowing that he knew her feelings for him.  That when, she would be able to do her chores in the Uchiha's house, bear Sasuke many sons, and one day grow old and die with a smile on her face because Gaara knew she loved him.

In the distance, a bell began to ring.  It was time for Ura to leave to meet Sasuke and finalize the wedding.  She had already drank fertile tea, ate luck rice balls, and gave respect to her ancestors that she was given a prosperous marriage.  All that was left was to leave and become a dutilful wife.  Ura's eyes widened as she looked towards the window as well, the carriage had arrived.  It was too late for anything to be done to claim her.  Her heart beat began to raise as she stood up, fixing the wrinkles in her kimono.  Gaara took a step back as to give her a little room.  Ura then took a step back as she murmured, “Gaara, please come closer and let me tell you something before I leave.”

Through their childhood years until that very moment, Gaara had trusted her to be his closest friend.  With that knowledge, Gaara took a few strides over to her until they were barely an inch apart.  Ura gazed up into his eyes as she felt tears cloud her view of him.  This was her only moment to finally speak the truth to him that he had been blind to for so long.  She then whispered softly for him to hear, “I love you, don't forget me please.”

She watched as Gaara's eyes widened in shock.  Ura felt the heat of the moment alleviate as her heart began slow down it's pace.  He knew.  He finally knew.  She stood on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek goodbye before heading towards the bedroom door.

“Ura.”

Ura hesitated before opening the door as she felt the heat of Gaara right behind her.  She didn't have to turn around as she felt his soft hands gently grasp her upper arms from behind.  His head rested against hers as a few seconds passed.  Ura quickly spun around and wrapped her arms around his neck, planting a kiss on his lips.  Gaara pulled her into a tight embrace as he returned her kiss shyly.  Their brief moment soon came to an end as Ura heard her father calling for her.  Ura looked back up at Gaara, but he kissed her softly one last time, “I will come for you.  I'll have your marriage anulled and you'll be free to marry me.”

“I'll write to Temari to send you letters,” Ura quickly stated in a hushed whispered, “I'll wait for you, Gaara.”

She had to rush out her bedroom as she heard her father coming.  Ura held her hand over her mouth as she quickly went down the stairs and out the door to her carriage.  At this point, she was forcing herself to leave before running back to Gaara's arms.  She went to the carriage where the entire village was cheering for her.  Ura looked back, which was the custom of leaving daughters, but glanced up to her bedroom window.  Gaara stood at the window with one hand on the glass.  Ura raised her hand as well to him, showing him he had her heart and all the she could give him.  The village thought it was meant for them and cheered louder.  Her father then opened the door to the carriage as her mother helped her inside.  

Inside the carriage was only a cushioned seat for her.  The ride would take a few hours.  Ura held her hands to her mouth as to not scream in despair as she listened to the carriage horses make their noses or feel the carriage take off.  Her heart began to break as if she would never see Gaara again.  What tore at her heart more was that he, too, would be taken in marriage by some other woman.  Would he love her more?  Ura shook that thought from her head as she turned her attention to her own marriage.  Sasuke wasn't going to disappear.  She would have to find a way for him to divorce her without getting the other in trouble.  A regular divorce would leave her as a disgrace and unable to marry anyone.  An anullment, however, could be because Sasuke couldn't perform in bed or had another lover.  

Ura felt more at ease at that point with that idea.  It was a secret, common occurance between wealthy families.  The husband was either gay or had another woman on the side after marrying his wife.  If the wife wanted a divorce because of either reason, usually the husband granted her the anullment after giving up with the wife's threats of exposure.  Ura clasped her hands together and prayed to her ancestors for forgiveness for her plan, but also thank them for giving her the courage to tell Gaara she loved him.

After a few hours in the carriage, Ura was exhausted.  She wanted to lay down for the night.  However, the anxiety rushing through her outside the dark, dismal Uchiha Manor sent a wave of chills through her.  Ura was helped out of the carriage as she looked up at the large manor.  How was she going to clean that entire place on her own?  She felt a lump in her stomach as just the thought.  A servant walked out of the manor and bowed low in front of Ura, “Lord Uchiha has been waiting for you, Lady Ura of Suna.”

“I am ready,” Ura replied, as custom for a woman right before marriage is to say to her mother-in-law.

If Sasuke's mother had been alive, she would have criticized everything about Ura before entering.  Instead, the servant led Ura up a few flights of steps before showing her an ornate door.  It had the Uchiha family symble split between doors in the middle.  Ura took a deep breath before opening the door and taking a step inside.  The sun was setting as she finally came face to face with Sasuke Uchiha.  

His dark hair made his skin a ghostly pale, but he wasn't ominous.  Though his eyes were dark as black holes, they held a slight bit of warmth as well as curiosity.  Sasuke stood straight as if he were in command of a large army.  Ura felt as if she were marrying a general rather than a young man who lost his entire family and was left with the ghost of a past.  

“I take it you're tired,” Sasuke was the first to speak, “I'll have the servants draw you a bath after you sign the contract.”

Ura's mind had went blank when she saw Sasuke for the first time.  Hearing him mention the contract so lightly made her realize what was going on.  In ordinary custom, Sasuke wouldn't have said a word and neither would she.  His father would've taken Ura's wrist and brought her to the contract to demand her to sign it.  However, this was what she was given.  Ura walked over to Sasuke's side as she signed her name beneath his.  A marriage contract was merely a large scroll with all of the family member's name on it.  The next to last was Sasuke's, the last born in the Uchiha line.  Now, there was Ura's: Uchiha Ura, the wife of Uchiha Sasuke.

“Cho,” Sasuke called out.

The same servant lady walked in with her hands behind her back.  Sasuke gestured over to Ura, “Draw my wife a bath and prepare her bed.”

“Yes, Lord Uchiha,” Cho bowed slightly before backing out of the room.

Ura remained silent as she tried to figure out what to do next.  So, did that mean she didn't have to sleep with him on the first night of their marriage?  She was afraid to look at him to find out that answer.  After a few awkward moments, Sasuke was the first to head towards the door, “I'm not going to fawn over every little thing you do around here.  Honestly, this whole marriage thing will give some peace to Konoha.  Also,” he stopped as he opened up the door, “I want a large family.”

He shut the door after him as Ura felt her legs tremble slightly.  He would sleep with her that night then.  Ura remained motionless as she thought of what to do at that moment.  For one, she could try and establish some rule in this house.  Or, since Sasuke was the main funder for Konoha, she could visit the village and meet the people.  

“Lady Uchiha.”

Ura was still in her own mind as she heard Cho outside the room.  She couldn't recognize that name as her own until Cho opened the door.  Cho put her hands behind her back, “Your bath is ready and Lord Uchiha is waiting for you.”

It happened so suddenly.  Ura was led to the bathroom where she stood outside the tub that Sasuke was sitting in.  She had to remember her duties.  With shaky fingers, Ura began to strip off her kimono layer by layer.  She and Sasuke held an unwavering gaze as Ura continued to peel off more layers of her kimono.  As she stripped, thoughts of Gaara entered her mind.  What would he think of this?  Then again, this was the first test to see if Sasuke could perform in bed.  If he failed at this, surely he wouldn't be able to have children with her and would seek out a lover.  Ura felt positive that Sasuke would find another woman, perhaps Cho would be his lover when she found out.  

Finally, Ura stood naked before Sasuke.  His dark eyes scanned her for a moment before gazing back into her eyes.  She was prepared for this.  Long hours of reading book upon book on this subject made her feel as if she had made love plenty of times even as a virgin still.  Ura took small steps towards the tub and climbed in with as much bravery as an experienced lover.  She sat at the other end of the tub as she waited for the next few moments to commence.

“You haven't said a word since you got here,” Sasuke commented dryly as he leaned back, “Your representative said you could talk someone's ear off.”

To friends, family, and Gaara, Ura thought to herself as she narrowed her eyes on Sasuke.  Ura then stated, “I'm exhausted; I just traveled for hours and now i'm in a house i've never been in before.  There's more reasons why I don't feel like talking.  Another reason is this is the first time i've met you and now we're married.  I don't know anything about you and-!”

Ura was silenced with a rough kiss after Sasuke had snatched her shoulder to force her on top of him.  Her palms were against his rock-hard chest as she sat on his thighs facing him.  She could taste his tongue sweeping against hers as she fell weak against his forceful lips.  Then again, she gave into his battle and kissed him in return.  She could have an iron will if she wanted, but at this moment, she was content with this surrender.  Sasuke pulled away, keeping a good hold on her shoulder as he searched her eyes.  He then spoke softly, “I won't hit you or abuse you in any way.  All that I ask is that you give me the family I lost and learn to love me as I vow to do the same for you.”

It was the first time she had made love.  Water splashed all over the floor and the room became too humid to bear.  She had been told it only lasted a few moments, but Ura felt at least two hours tick by.  What this feeling for Sasuke was had to be an illusion.  He couldn't feel anything towards her, she had to continue to believe in that.  If he could perform in bed, perhaps he was sterile.  Though she didn't think of that while she made love to Sasuke.  All she could think of was how he knew where to touch her, taste her, and when to kiss her.  After she felt a rush of heat wash over her, Ura gripped Sasuke's broad shoulders tightly right before she felt even more exhausted than before.  A warm liquid washed into her, it must've been Sasuke's own release.

Her mind began to think of the future if she and Gaara weren't able to marry.  She would have to learn to love Sasuke even if her entire heart couldn't belong to him.  They would have many children and never know of saddness together.  Ura sat back in the tub and began to wash herself as Sasuke did the same.  They didn't speak to each other as they did their own routine until they were both finished.  Ura was the first to leave the tub.  She waited for him since she would have to follow him to their bedroom.  Beside her was a silk robe for her to wear after she dried herself off with a soft towel.  Pulling on the robe, Ura waited as Sasuke wrapped the towel around his waist as he led the way to their room.  

It was a room that looked as if Sasuke designed it himself.  Everything was either black or a deep blue.  Ura felt as if she were in a storm at sea from how everything just seemed so dismal.  This might've been why Sasuke asked her to love him.  Ura glanced around as Sasuke pulled on a pair of boxers before climbing beneath the sheets, “Are you coming to bed soon?”

“Is there anything for me to wear?” Ura asked, her clothes hadn't arrived yet and won't for another day or two.

It was custom for the newly wife to sleep with her husband for a few days in hopes becoming pregnant sooner.  In this case, Ura wasn't going off old traditions with Sasuke.  He shrugged as he pulled the sheets back on her side, “Just make do with what you have for now.”

Over the following week, Ura learned a few corridors of the manor and met more and more servants under Sasuke's home.  She frequently went with him to the village to meet other villagers and to get to know the people.  It was her chance to show Sasuke a few of her own talents as well.  As the only daughter in the second presitgeous family in Suna, she had to learn military combat training for her own protection.  She was able to somewhat match Sasuke in a sparring match.  On a more feminine note, Ura recited a few poems she studied and debated theories with Sasuke while they walked outside in the forest.

It was during this week that she felt at home with her new surroundings.  Each day she would meet new people and feel welcomed into her new position.  Each night, she would be wrapped in Sasuke's arms and kept her promise by learning to love him in return.  

Upon the next week, Ura allowed her hair to air dry after taking a morning shower.  She buttoned a navy blue blouse that made her curves more noticeable and pulled on a pair of white shorts.  Spring wasn't as hot as the desert spring, but it was quite warm.  Ura opened up the windows to allow a fresh air to dust out the old.  She had the servants dust the entire manor and sweep out the cobwebs that Sasuke had let to grow.  If she were to give Sasuke a whole new family, she needed this manor to look ready for a new start.  Ura tied a bandana to keep her hair out of her face as she, too, helped the servants clan and buff the manor until everything shined.  It took her and the servants a full day to get the manor clean, but the outcome was well worth the work.  

Everything in the manor seemed brighter and new.  There wasn't a sign of anything dismal or a bad memory left behind that Ura hadn't cleaned.  She freshened up the portraits of Sasuke's family by wiping them clean.  The vases that were hand crafted by distant grantparents were polished to look like new.  Ura helped prepare a grand meal for everyone, but made a special dish for Sasuke when he returned to his home with a look of surprise in his eyes.  She approached him with a spicy curry plate with a hopeful expression, “I had the manor cleaned today.  I hope you don't mind, but I thought it would be better for our family.  Nothing was gotten rid of, I just polished over everything to look new.”

Sasuke didn't say anything.  He glanced this way and that, but didn't respond.  Ura was worried that he was angry that she might've went too far out of line.  She lowered the dinner plate as she prepared to be yelled at or something.  Instead, she heard, “If you think it needed cleaning, then I agree with you.  It looks as if everything was created just moments ago.”

Happiness swarmed through Ura as Sasuke received her plate of food for him and ate with the other servants with her.  At that moment, Ura had nearly forgotten about her original goal.  The next day, the reminder came in the form of a letter from her father for her.  Ura sat in one of Sasuke's shirts in the garden as she opened the envelope and looked at the letter.  She almost dropped it when she noticed the characters on the letter was Gaara's handwriting.  

'Ura,

It has been two weeks now and I haven't heard from you.  Has he forbidden you from contacting anyone from your village?  It's as if Shukaku has haunted me through his grave, I can't sleep without you here.  If I had known you had returned the love I had for you sooner, I would've claimed you as my wife first and end this ordeal completely.  At this point and time, i'm sure you've found a secret lover of his or another reason for an anullment.  

Temari is also pregnant with her first child.  She's on her way back to celebrate while Shikamaru attends with his business in Konoha.  While you're there, you should see Temari and see if she can help you get an anullment sooner.  I will make an unannounced visit soon to see how you're doing.  To keep your status pure, we canot be alone together again.  

Find a way to write me me back, Ura.  You have me worried about you.  

With love,
Gaara'

Ura held the letter to her heart as she felt as if a knife stabbed her stomach and gave a good twist.  This wasn't what she was expecting.  She had thought Sasuke would have taken another lover or had other desires, but he was solely focused on her.  Ura stood up as she began to lightly pace as she tried to think of a fast response.  She didn't want Gaara to see that she was actually content with being Sasuke's wife.  There was on part of the letter that she had to follow of course.  Maybe a visit to Temari's home would ease some of her worries.

“Is everything ok?”

She turned to see Sasuke approached her with only a pair of pants on.  He was helping with a few labor jobs in the village, but he must've came back to rest for awhile before going back.  Ura ran her gaze over Sasuke's taut body before answering, “My father just wrote me.  I was just surprised.”

“I admire your family for remembering you,” Sasuke commented as he approached her, “It was one of the reasons why I didn't reject your family as soon as they said you were on the market.”

He then softly pinched her chin to look up at him, “You should join me upstairs before I have to leave again.”

How could she make love to another man when Gaara had written to her?  Ura sat up in the bed with her knees to her chest.  She hugged her knees as she pondered this thought in her head.  Gaara would make an unannounced visit and he would see the luxury she was allowed to live in.  Sasuke gave her all the freedom that Gaara would have given her.  He was giving her all the enjoyment she wanted.  Also, he wasn't pressuring her to become pregnant soon, but if it happened he would be elated.  

Ura layed on her side in the same position as she thought of Gaara coming to the manor.  Would he be upset by her?  

“Ura?”

Sasuke entered the room from the bathroom.  He stood next to the bed as he examined the view.  Over the last few weeks of having her as his wife, Sasuke had started to figure out a small portion of her.  This scene, however, he wasn't too sure of.  Usually after love making, she would have offered to give him a bath or she would lay her head on his shoulder.  There was never a time when she had curled herself up like this.  

Ura sat up slowly as she felt her heart break start to take over.  She didn't want to lie to Sasuke nor did she want to betray Gaara.  Her eyes gazed over at Sasuke as she felt as if she would vomit.  Sasuke walked over to her side of the bed and sat down, “You don't look too well.”

“I'm fine, i'm just...” Ura shrugged slightly as she leaned against him, “A little homesick, I guess.”

“Well, in a few months I hear there's a festival in your village-”

“The Sun Festival!” Ura's excitement started to form as she took Sasuke's hand, “Could we go?”

“There's business here that I need to attend to, but you can go,” Sasuke gave her hand a light squeeze before pulling her in for a quick kiss.

*~*~*~*
The next day
*~*~*~*

Ura dressed in her best clothes as she thought of what would Sasuke's friend and his wife would be like.  Would she and the wife become friends?  She had sent Temari a letter not too long ago about visiting her and Shikamaru.  If she were to meet Naruto and Sakura, she wanted Temari to meet Sasuke as well as tell her about Gaara.  Temari would stand by Gaara's side, but Ura also knew Temari would think of a way out of this mess so no one would get hurt.

When she finished, Ura went down to the lobby where Sasuke waited for his friend and Sakura to arrive.  Ura went to his side as Sasuke turned and gave her a small smile of approval.  She smiled in return.  Then, a knock at the door turned their attention to the servant who answered the door and allowed Naruto and Sakura to enter.

Naruto quickly approached Ura and examined her.  Ura felt uncomfortable and grabbed Sasuke's arm, “It's nice to finally meet you.”

“You must be Ura!  Sasuke's been talking my ear off about you.  You're definitely a lot prettier in person than you are in words,” Naruto beamed as he took a step back, “Sasuke...you're getting older every day.”

“Thanks, idiot,” Sasuke commented dryly, then lightened up, “We can talk in my office.  Ura, this is Naruto's wife, Sakura.  Why don't you two take a walk in the garden?”
Ura looked over at Sakura to see the reproach in her eyes.  Maybe this wasn't a good idea.  But, Ura nodded and guided Sakura to where the garden doors were.  As the women walked around the garden in silence, Ura noticed how Sakura gazed over at the flowers with mournful eyes.  Was she sick?  Ura turned around slightly to stop walking, “These flowers have been here a long time.  Sasuke and his servants have done a nice job keeping up with them.”

“I was the one who planted them,” Sakura commented as she turned her back to Ura, “When Sasuke and I were kids, we would come out here and plant more every day.  I'm sure he didn't tell you that.”

No, he hadn't.  Ura wanted to question Sakura about it, but decided not to.  There was something in Sakura's voice that made Ura feel as if there had been something between Sakura and her husband.  She pushed the thought to the back of her mind as she continued, “He hadn't opened up to me about his childhood just yet.  I don't want to ask him until we've been married longer.”

“Are you worried he doesn't want to stay married to you?” Sakura asked as she turned her head slightly to look over at Ura, “Are you sure he hasn't found a way to get a divorce yet?”

Now Ura was getting somewhat angry.  This woman was a guest in her home and she was acting as if Ura wasn't the wife of Sasuke Uchiha.  Ura then took a step forward, “Watch what you say to me.  Sasuke and I are happy and there's no reason for a divorce to take place.”

“I'm sure you feel that way,” Sakura sighed softly as she turned to look at the cherry blossoms, “I've been waiting for a divorce from Naruto for years.  That bastard won't give me one anytime soon.”

Was there something wrong with Sakura's marriage?  Naruto seemed like a very happy person, why would she not be happy with him?  Ura went to Sakura's side and murmured, “I'm sure there's a reason for your hostility towards me, but it's unwanted.  You and I were given away and we can't ask for better husbands.  Keep yours and i'll keep mine.”

Sakura turned slightly again and glared over at Ura.  Ura did the same as the two came to a silent argument.  It was clear that Sakura desired Sasuke and was unhappy that he married Ura.  The two women walked side-by-side in the garden in silence.  Ura decided to try and lighten the mood and asked, “Do you have any children?”

“Not with Naruto,” Sakura shrugged, “But he's fine with it.  He has a son to give his inheritance to and a daughter to give away for prosperity.”

So, Sakura was in a loveless marriage.  Ura felt somewhat lucky that she didn't have to have that type of marriage.  However, she was still in a worse-off spot in a sense.  She didn't want to tell that to Sakura in fear that the woman would divulge this information to Sasuke.  Instead, Ura asked, “Who's the father?”

“Kiba Inuzuka's,” Sakura answered as if having an affair wasn't much of anything, “Naruto doesn't mind, but i'm sure Tenten isn't too happy.  She's been appealing to have my son taken to Kiba's home.”

Ura had heard what happened to Tenten and Kiba.  She had heard Kiba had taken a mistress because Tenten couldn't have children.  Little had Ura known that Sakura, of all women, had been his mistress and bore two children with him.  Ura felt sorry for Tenten in that aspect.  She hoped that Sasuke wouldn't do such a thing to her.  

“I won't lie to you because I don't think you'll last too long here,” Sakura brought Ura out of her own mind with a sharp gaze, “I have means of taking Sasuke as my lover.  You should make yourself useful and stay out of my way.”

Now this was going too far.  Ura glared right back at Sakura to retort, “I will do no such thing.  Sasuke is my husband and i've already won the battle before I even knew you existed.  Consider yourself like common trash, I'm taken to Sasuke's bed every night and every morning I wake up to be held by Sasuke.”

“And i'm already pregnant with his kid,” Sakura rubbed her stomach softly with a small smile, “I hope it's a son-”

“Get out of my sight.”

Sakura glanced up to see Ura trembling with rage.  The pink-haired woman didn't say anything as she complied with Ura.  Sasuke...he slept with another woman?  It had to have been a month or two ago, right before they were married.  Ura knew she couldn't change Sasuke or tell him to stop, but why would he do that?  Was it his last attempt to find happiness somewhere else?  Didn't he find himself happy with her?  She balled her fists as she took a deep breath.  It didn't matter if he was happy with her or not, she still loved Gaara and Gaara loved her.  If this meant she could leave Sasuke for Gaara, then she need to make a quick get-a-way.

Later, that evening, Sasuke and Ura sat at the formal dinner table to eat in private.  It was small and allowed the tension to fill the room.  Ura barely touched her dinner as she kept her gaze low.  She didn't want Sasuke to know that she knew his little secret and the child growing inside Sakura's stomach.  After Sakura had left Ura's side, it didn't take Naruto long to notice that Ura wasn't there and decided to leave with Sakura early.  Sasuke had questioned Ura how the two of them got along, but she didn't answer him.

“Are you going to tell me why you're upset?” Sasuke broke the silence, “You haven't said a word to me since you went off with Sakura.”

“She's carrying your child,” Ura looked up with her sharp emerald eyes, glaring over at Sasuke, “She said she's pregnant with your child.”

“There's a problem to that statemet,” Sasuke commented as he ate a piece of chicken, “In order for her to be pregnant with my kid, I would've had to sleep with her.  A few months before we married last week, i've been traveling to other parts of the country to get things for you.  There's no way I could be the father when I wasn't physically here with her.”

Ura sat motionless as she let the new information sink in.  Sasuke smirked as he began to eat again.  It wasn't the first time Sakura had tried to fend off a female from him.  This time, he had to set things straight because he did care for Ura.  Sometime soon, he'd like to tell her how he did feel.  But, he wanted to save those words for the Sun Festival in her village.  


*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Months had passed, Ura received letters from Gaara and Temari about how they're fairing questions for her.  Ura sat a few months pregnant writing Gaara a secret letter.  Her love for him grew each day as he sent her pictures of him as the new Main Representative for their village.  She was surprised that Kankurou gave up the position so easily, but Gaara was more of a leader while Kankurou was a follower.  Nonetheless, she was happy for Gaara and missed him each day.  She was even happier to know he still hadn't been married out.  Ura folled the letter and stuck it inside a fan she had purchased from the village and sat it in a tray to be mailed to him.

She placed her hand on her stomach as she waited for her carriage.  Sasuke was first taking her to Temari's home before heading over to her village.  Ura was a nervous wreck knowing she would see Gaara with Sasuke there.  He had changed his arrangements in order to join her at the festival.  Gaara would surely see how Sasuke loomed over Ura as if protecting her from watchful eyes.  Sasuke walked over to Ura with the last of their luggage as they saw their carriage coming over.  Ura entered the carriage while Sasuke helped the driver load their suitcases of clothes in the back.  Her heart was racing a mile a minute, what would Temari say?  What would Gaara do?  Would he be disappointed?  

“We'll be at your friend's home soon,” Sasuke entered the carriage and sat next to Ura, “I paid this driver to take double the speed.  We'll be there in a few hours.”

He put an arm around Ura that reached around and held her stomach.  Ura knew Sasuke was more than happy to know she was pregnant.  He didn't even care if it was a son or daughter.  All that mattered was that he was getting the family he had always wanted.  Ura looked out her window as they went through the village.  There were so many people doing daily chores that she used to do on a daily basis to make sure her cleaning skills were refined.  

Sasuke was right, it took a few hours before they finally reached Temari's and Shikamaru's manor.  It was in the middle of a forest and set in a massive field.  Everything had a natural element to it that made it seem like the manor just came from nature.  Ura was helped out of the carriage by the driver and was instantly held into a tight hug by Temari.  

“I'm so glad you could make it!” Temari held Ura tighter against her, “You have no idea how long i've missed seeing a familiar face!”

“Because I keep you trapped here and never let you out.”

Ura was allowed to leave the embrace and saw Shikamaru for the first time.  He was quite handsome, but she could tell that he loved Temari greatly.  She bowed slightly as he did the same, “It's nice to finally meet you, Temari has told me many stories about you.”

“Temari talked my ear off about you,” Shikamaru smirked as he scratched the back of his head, “There must be something about the desert that makes pretty women and dutiful wives.”

“Shikamaru!” Temari punched the back of his head, then turned to Ura and Sasuke, “I apologize for my husband, he tends to be somewhat obnoxious if he isn't checked.”

Temari had the luggage placed in the guest bedroom for Sasuke and Ura to stay the night.  While Shikamaru and Sasuke went to the lounge to open the bar, Temari and Ura were on the balcony just outside the lounge with the doors shut.  Ura leaned against the cement railing and gazed towards the direction where her village.  Temari stood next to her and also gazed in the same direction, “I'm not sure how to see your marriage any other way than happy.  Sasuke is obviously enamored with you.”

“I don't think so,” Ura murmrued as she felt a warm wind caress her body, “I'm waiting to find something in order to leave.”

“You don't care for him?” Temari questioned as she lowered her voice just in case.

“No, I do, but...” Ura then explained about Gaara and what happened moments before she left Suna.  Temari covered her mouth to hide the joy she felt.  She had hoped Gaara and Ura would've paired up years ago, but her mood changed when she realized that it didn't happen.  Ura was married to Sasuke and Gaara was waiting for Ura.  Temari then placed her hand on Ura's shoulder, “If you love Gaara, and you know Gaara loves you, you have to leave Sasuke without waiting.”

Ura knew Temari would say this.  It was never going to change.  She had to respect Temari's opinion however due to the fact that a) she was in Temari's home and b) she was also Gaara's sister.  But, Ura agreed with Temari.  Temari looked back to see that Sasuke was laughing along with Shikamaru.  She turned back to Ura and whispered softly, “I can get you to Suna over night and-”

“Temari,” Ura pointed to her stomach, “I'm six months pregnant with Sasuke's baby.  There's no way I can travel to another country over night in this condition and go with the stress of seeing Gaara and going through a divorce with Sasuke.  It'll look bad on me and i'll only ruin Gaara's reputation if I leave now.”

Temari remained quiet as she tried to think of another way out of this.  Ura was stuck between a rock and a hard place.  There was no where to run where there wasn't trouble brewing.  In all honesty, if she had left sooner before becoming pregnant, she would've been in a better situation.  It would look like she was in a bad marriage and fell in love with Gaara to become a happy wife.  Now, being pregnant, well-fed, and without bruises on her, Ura looked like the happy wife.  If she were to be seen with Gaara in any way deemed inappropriate, she would lose her reputation and lower Gaara's.  

“All I can do is hope that Gaara won't be too disappointed with me,” Ura whispered softly, “After I have this child, I will go to Gaara whether he wants me or not.  I'd rather be with him than Sasuke.”

Hearing Ura's words made Temari remain quiet.  There had been many tales suggesting that women left their husbands with their children in hope of returning to a former love.  When the women returned to their home, their former love would always be taken.  For Ura to take this risk meant she would not only become nothing, so would her children.  She couldn't return to Sasuke and her children could starve to death. Temari knew Ura was in a bad spot and knew she would keep her promise.

“As Gaara's sister, I am his natural advocate and I'm glad you understand that.  However, as a fellow female...” Temari stated to Ura so only she could hear, “My husband and I will give you all the aide you want when you return to Gaara.  I'm sure my little brother will embrace you and your child with open arms.”

Ura could only hope.

The next day, Sasuke and Ura were off to her home village early in the morning.  Temari sent Gaara a letter of Ura's immediate arrival.  Ura was told by Temari that Gaara had 'special accomdations' for her.  He didn't know she was pregnant yet or how Sasuke went to great lengths to remain by her side.  Sasuke sat next to her on the ride as he fanned himself, “It's surprising how you could stand to live out here.”

“Living here for my childhood seems to be the answer to how I survived,” Ura teased slightly as she poked Sasuke's thigh, “I'm used to this.  I hope our child will be too, I want her to be able to visit her family in Suna when she can.”

“She'll be visiting with her many brothers and sisters,” Sasuke commented, “It'll take two carriages to carry out entire family over.”

Ura forced herself to laugh at his comment.  She then turned her gaze back to the window to tell herself the truth: she wouldn't be around that long or be his wife after this child.  It took several hours to complete the journey, but at noon, when the sun was highest in the sky, Ura and Sasuke had made it to her village.  Her entire family stood at the Welcoming Gates with streamers and signs with luck symbols for her marriage life.  The only person she didn't want to see just yet stood at the front of the crowd with his arms crossed.  Gaara was the first to see Ura's condition as soon as she was helped out of the carriage.

She felt the shame of a thousand daggers of guilt crash on her as she noticed the slight widening of Gaara's eyes when he saw how far along she had been pregnant.  Ura gently held her stomach as she felt the baby squirm slightly within the womb.  Maybe her child knew how nervous she was and kicked her to go back to be the 'happy wife' everyone wanted to see.  Sasuke shook hands with Ura's father and uncles before going straight to Gaara, “I'm glad you allowed us a visit.  Ura has been talking of coming here for months to see this festival.”

Gaara didn't respond beyond shaking Sasuke's hand.  Ura approached Gaara and her husband to break the silence, “So, Gaara, where are our sleeping arrangements?”

“Sasuke,” Gaara looked directly at the Uchiha, “You will follow Ura's father to your quarters.  I will be leading Ura to hers along with my advisors.”

“I'm sure you understand that you can't involve her with your politics,” Sasuke stated as he narrowed his gaze on Gaara, “And she can't reveal my politics to you as well.”

“Understood,” Gaara rebuttled and then stated, “Ura and I go far back from meeting in our childhood.”

“I wasn't told this,” Sasuke then glanced over at Ura.

“I'm quite tired,” Ura quickly intervened before things went flying, “Sasuke, we can talk tonight after dinner.  Gaara is an old friend and I would like to catch up with him.”

Sasuke took a step closer to Ura and embraced her softly, kissing her quick enough to catch her breath.  He then whispered in her ear, “I'll visit your room tonight, keep the door unlocked for me.”

Though she did enjoy her bed with Sasuke, she didn't want to have him interupt her meeting with Gaara.  She followed Gaara from behind as his advisor's followed close behind her.  Each step felt as if she was sinking deeper into the ground.  Sasuke's child grew every day and made her poke out more and more.  Ura felt as if she had a huge stamp on her head saying 'liar' or 'betrayer'.  Her heart was heavy with guilt as she kept glancing up at the back of Gaara's head.  What was he thinking of her?  Was his heart broken?  Ura wanted that moment to return when she and Gaara had just informed the other of their feelings.  Why couldn't she had asked him to save her before all of this happened?  

Gaara led her to her old bedroom where his advisors then left them alone.  Ura walked inside while Gaara followed, closing the door behind him.  She couldn't believe he still wanted to be alone with her after what she had done.  Gaara stood solemnly as his gaze remained on the floor.  Each second that passed was another moment that could have been between them.  Ura felt her soul bolden as she took a few steps towards Gaara.  If he was willing to be alone with her after seeing her condition, then he was willing to do anything.  She reached him and gently held his upper arm.  Gaara didn't react, he merely turned his gaze to her feet.  Ura loomed closer as her other hand went to his other shoulder.  He slowly gazed into her eyes.  Ura took a quick gulp before caressing her lips with Gaara's.

After a few months of being apart, Gaara was still shy.  Ura felt her heart flutter as Gaara slowly returned her kiss.  It was more than she could have ever imagined.  He must've still felt something for her if he was kissing her even though she was pregnant.  Gaara embraced Ura as well as he kept his hands away from her swollen belly.  His hands held her left shoulder and the back of her head, keeping her close enough to him, but far enough to not touch her stomach.  Ura heated their kiss up to where he had her back against the wall.  

To her surprise, Gaara was the one who slowly pulled away as he kissed her ear, “Ura, i've missed you.”

“Gaara, i'm so sorry,” Ura murmured as she felt a lump in her throat start to form, “I don't want you to think i'm-”

“I know what happened,” Gaara stated as he pulled away to point at the child forming in her belly, “He had to have forced himself upon you.”

“Gaara,” Ura knew she couldn't lie to him, “No, you see...”

Ura had moved to sit on her old bed as she explained what was going on in her marriage.  She could see that it was hard for Gaara to understand that though she was living a nice marriage, she still loved him and only him.  Gaara asked questions as to why she slept with Sasuke, or how she planned on getting a divorce if she had no signs of abuse or his affairs.  She was able to answer his questions with all honesty and hoped he could understand the hard place she was in.  Gaara sat next to her as he tried to figure out what to do to help her.

“What I can do is leave after I give birth,” Ura explained in a hushed voice, “I can't travel in this condition.  Running away from a husband for a woman is dangerous.  I'll have to run for my life with a child in my arms.  Temari has said she and her husband will support me.  I know i'll be fine once I get to her manor.”

“Is there anyway you can anull this marriage with a legitimate reason?” Gaara asked before standing up.

She stared up into Gaara's icy blue eyes as she thought of the truth.  No.  Sasuke was a loyal and good husband to her.  Love never came in an arranged marriage unless two people came willingly.  Ura betrayed Sasuke on their wedding day by allowing Gaara to know her feelings.  But that wouldn't allow her to be granted a divorce.

“After the birth of his child, you will be sent back here anyways,” Gaara concluded, she could tell that he was getting upset with her situation.

But Ura knew what Gaara meant.  After she would give birth to her child, she would be sent back to her natal village to allow the father to either praise their son, or prepare his daughter with a diviner to begin her dowry.  In this time, Ura would be able to make plans as to what type of running she would be doing.

“I will not visit you tonight.  I'm sure you understand why,” Gaara commented as he started to head to the door.
“Gaara,” Ura stood quickly, but gently stumbled back from her swollen belly.

Gaara used the sand to stop her from falling.  He carefully stood her back up and forced his sand to materialize into a small object.  Ura instinctively held out her hands as a tiny goard took up her palm.  She glanced up at Gaara as he opened the door and answered, “That will give you instant protection.  Only use it in a dire need.”

She nodded as she watched Gaara walk away.  Her heart longed for him to come back and talk to her.  Then, Sasuke appeared in her doorway, leaning against the opening, “So, are you and Gaara done?”

Ura stood in silence.  She hadn't backed down to her husband before.  The only reason for her self-confidence now was because she knew she was caught.  Sasuke took a step inside the room with his arms crossed.  The door remained open as Sasuke asked again, “Is what you had before over with him?  You're a married woman now.  Think of meeting him in secret will do to your reputation.  Think of the reputation you would give your son.”

Even with him unhappy with her, Ura still felt flattered that he referred to their child as hers.  Maybe he was doing that to protect himself.  How would he know her plans when she only spoke them freely to her loved ones?

She couldn't like to Sasuke.  Her gaze glanced away as she kept her stubborn frown.  In this action, she felt guilty for her actions.  Gaara was her love in her heart, but she had grown to care for Sasuke.  Neither should be hurt.  Ura then returned Sasuke's gaze, but her gaze was softer and held a small smile, “We're just good friends, Sasuke.  There's no worry of our reputations because there's nothing to worry about.”

“Ura,” Sasuke growled lowly as he looked away from her, “You're from a well-class family.  You know as well as I do that this needs to end.  I'm sorry, Ura.  But I've been pretty leniant husband because I feel we should both look forward.  This is where I draw the line; you aren't going to be alone with Gaara again.  Either me or my friends can be around you two.  Here, let me help you dress for dinner.”

Though Ura seemed calm on the front, she withelled a scream loud enough to believe she was dying.  She could feel Sasuke's hands on her body, groping, cupping, squeezing.  There was no such cure for the pain she was going through.  As a dutiful wife, she had to obey Sasuke.  As a woman, she needed Gaara.  Ura felt something warm on her lips.  She locked her gaze onto Sasuke's forehead as he had his eyes closed.  His tongue slithered into her mouth and play with hers.  Though this kiss had warmed her on the even warmer nights, she felt a cold winter in her heart.  It was all she could do before allowing herself to feel anger just yet.  She couldn't be angry at Sasuke at that moment, but later she would release her anger elsewhere.

Sasuke slowly pulled away as he gazed into her eyes, he could see the inner rage behind her eyeballs.  He then murmured, “It's because I love you and I want your entire safety in my home.”

Ura remained silent as she sunk his words into mind.  He finished dressing her and led her to where they would be feasting with Gaara and his advisers.  How would she let Gaara know of this order?  Surely he would oppose Sasuke and force the marriage to anull.  Ura kept her head held high as she entered the dining room where the others waited in their seats.  She knew why Gaara wouldn't stand for Sasuke or allow others to do so.  It was a sign of disrespect, but Sasuke seemed oblivious to blatant rudeness.  

“These meals were prepared out of natural ingredients found among the desert.  I hope you will be grateful for the hardwork my villagers have put into the food,” Gaara commented as he dipped his chopsticks into a water bowl.

“I've had your food before as a child,” Sasuke pulled out Ura's seat, “As I remember, your people have quite the taste for spices.”

“It's a delicacy to have anything spicy,” Ura mentioned to lighten up the mood.

“My wife does enjoy her peppers,” Sasuke commented as he sat next to her, “She'll be quite pleased to have them again.  Carrying our child, Ura stopped eating anything spicy to make sure nothing went wrong for our first born.”

Gaara turned his gaze to Ura and her enlarged stomach.  For the first time, Ura felt embarrassed.  She didn't want to be put on the spot like that in front of Gaara.  They ate their dinner in silence after that last comment Sasuke had made.  Ura could feel the tension wafting through the air around them and could hardly eat much off of her plate.  Then, she felt a tightness in her back.  The pain waved through her body until she felt like her torso was tightening.  From her torso, the pained made it's way down to her loins.  Sweat began to form on her brow, and Ura finally understood what was happening.

“Gaara,” Ura managed to stand up, causing Gaara to hesitate before standing, “The baby.”

“Call the medical-nin,” Gaara ordered sharply as he went towards Ura, “Get her to a bed, now!”

Sasuke remained by Ura's side as he helped Gaara get her to a nearby bed.  Within minutes, the full medical-nin team were in the bedroom.  They hooked Ura up to several machines as one was injecting pain-relief into her back.  Another contraction hit her again, causing Ura to squeeze the bed rails and grit her teeth to stop her from screaming.  It felt like hours before the contraction faded into nothing.  Sweat poured from Ura's forehead as she gazed up at the ceiling.  Then, someone put an oxygen mask over her mouth.  Ura looked to her side to see her heart rate was skyrocketing.  No, that wasn't her heart rate.  

“The baby is stuck!” she heard one of the medical-nin whisper sharply.

“My baby?” Ura asked quickly, her eyes widening, “What's wrong with my baby?”

“Knock her out,” Sasuke stated.

While one of the medical-nin obeyed Sasuke, Ura and Gaara kept a firm gaze as Ura felt her body succomb to the anesthesia.  Before she knew it, she was out cold with only an image of Gaara.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was the sound of a baby crying that made Ura wake up.  She felt as if she had been sleeping for days.  Her eyes opened slowly as she became used to the sunlight pouring into the room.  Ura sat up to look towards the source of the sound.  She then saw Sasuke sitting next to her bed with a baby wrapped in a pink cloth in his arms.  He rocked her softly as he fed her through a bottle.  Ura had to question herself for a moment why he was holding a baby, then she remembered.  That was her daughter.  At first, he heart went cold to know it wasn't a son, but she remembed Sasuke's words that he was happy with either gender.

“She has your eyes,” Sasuke whispered as their daughter suckled from the bottle, “I want you to pick a name.”

Kyoko honestly hadn't thought of one.  She felt terrible knowing she hadn't even chosen a name for her first born daughter.  Her excitement was so focused on seeing Gaara that she lost track of time.  She didn't want to give her first born a rushed name.  Ura then rolled her knees to her chest, “Let me hold her, I want to think a little more on the name.”

Sasuke seemed pleased that she wanted to hold their daughter.  He happily, and carefully, handed their newborn to Ura.  As soon as Ura held her daughter, she felt a new type of love that warmed her heart.  This was her baby, the child that grew inside of her for many months.  Though she was absolutely tiny, Ura could see that her daughter was a rebellious fighter.  

“Katsumi,” Ura murmured as she watched her daughter slowly fall asleep, “She will see many trials as  a woman in her life.  I will do my best to pave a clear path for her.”

Her husband sat on the edge of her bed as they both watched their daughter sleep soundly.  Ura glanced up to see Sasuke gazing at her, but his eyes were somewhat worried.  She knew his worry.  It was obvious that her and Gaara were far from over.  It probably would never end.  But, thus was their marriage.  Sasuke then stood up, “I suggested to Gaara that we should stay a few more days for your recovery and to bond with Katsumi.  I don't think she would be safe in the desert like this.”

“Well we have to go back to your village soon,” Ura mentioned as she leaned back with Katsumi resting against her chest, “We both have responsabilities.”

She could see some light to Sasuke's face when she mentioned their role as husband and wife.  Ura decided to keep things subtle between her and Gaara.  If Sasuke was willing to keep a cool temper and not worry about the feelings she had for Gaara, then she would be an outwardly dutiful wife to him.  Sasuke turned back to face her, “This is quite true.  Lets remain here a few days and find the best day to travel back to our home.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The next day, Ura felt more adventurous.  A wet nurse had came to take care of Katsumi for the day as Ura roamed her home village.  Sasuke was busy with arranging a carriage for their departure back to their home.  So, Ura felt she should travel in her home village until she would have to leave.  She wanted to see Gaara one more time to let him know of their plan and what she was going to do.  Now that Katsumi was out of her, she would have to plan her escape as soon as possible.  Katsumi would be leaving as well, Ura couldn't be apart from her daughter for too long.

Then, she felt a powerful chakra nearby.  It seemed friendly though...  Ura dared to venture further into the darkness of a dry alley only to reach the end.  Then, a raven flew over her and dropped a message down to Ura's feet.  She picked the white envelope up and dusted off the sand before opening it.  Inside was a cryptic letter reading: “Go to a room unfamiliar, but familiar.  It hoards memories of a black past and a lit future.”

Ura wasn't exceptional in riddles, but she knew this was Gaara's handwriting.  So, due to her lack of skill in riddles, she could figure out what he was talking about by deducing where they had previously met compared to a new meeting spot.  She then began to roam back through the village as she hid the letter in her bra.  So far...they had met briefly, twice, in her room..  '..to a room unfamiliar, but familiar..'  That could mean that she wouldn't have been in that room, but that room belonged to someone she knows.  '..hoards memories of a black past and a lit future..'  

Her eyes widened with excitement!  He was talking about his room.  Ura had to be discrete though.  She didn't want Sasuke or anyone else to find out.  Quickly, she went into the shadows as she tried to think of a way to get to his room.  A thought then crossed her mind: what was she doing?  Ura felt unease settle inside of her.  She had a daughter to think about now...  What would Katsumi think of her mother for doing this?  

But, she didn't want Katsumi to be in this type of situation either.  She didn't want her daughter to see that she had to just take what was thrown at her.  Ura then lowered her gaze in disappointment, but she didn't want her daughter to be judged by others for going against tradition.  

'I want Katsumi to know what a real lady does,' Ura thought to herself, then raised her gaze to where she stared a wall, 'But I don't want her to think she's not entitled to a happy life.  I can't lose face now or i'll never be able to live with myself!'

Ura went through several alleys before she finally made it to the Kazekage mansion.  She felt out of breath, she hadn't run like that in years!  After glancing around a bit and trying to sense any familiar chakra around her, Ura then dashed into the mansion where she silently took a flight of stairs to a hallway of bedrooms.  She then found one that had Gaara's chakra all over it.  Ura held her breath as she made sure no one was around before slipping into his room.

In an instant, Gaara had her pinned against the wall to kiss her with everything he had.  Ura could hardly breathe, but it was more satisfying.  Her nails dug into her skin as he stood shirtless.  The heat of their moment went full force as he locked the door and moved them to his bed...

It was barely two hours later that Ura rolled off of Gaara and stared up at the ceiling.  She moved closer to him and rest her head against his shoulder.  They actually did it...  They actually made love.  Ura felt Gaara's strong arm wrap around her waist as he took deep breaths and sweat dripped down his face.  She was in utter peace at that moment.  There was nothing that seemed more happy than that moment, besides the birth of her daughter.

“Gaara,” Ura whispered, she watched his icy blue eyes linger until he gazed over at her, “I love you.”

“I love you as well, Ura,” Gaara pulled her into a soft kiss, then asked, “How are you feeling?”

“Amazing,” Ura smiled softly before closing her eyes, “I could sleep like this for a few days.”

“You will soon enough,” Gaara murmured as he sat up, “Until then, we should make a clean escape.  Sasuke plans on having the three of you leave tomorrow.”

“I know,” Ura sighed as she, too, got up from the bed and began to dress, “But i'll be contacting Temari as soon as I get home and prepare for it.  I'm sure there'll be a fight or two waiting for me.”

“You may not get an anullment, but a divorce can be settled when you reach here,” Gaara concluded.

Ura knew it would not be that easy.  Escaping Sasuke would be the easy part.  However, her reputation will be ruined and it'll be difficult to have a marriage set up for her children.  She would have to think of something a little craftier before just leaving.  To tell Gaara, though, was a different story.   Ura decided she would have Temari explain this to him and let him understand it would be awhile.  Surely Gaara wouldn't mind waiting a little more, especially when she would still be able to visit her village and meet with him in secret.

Gaara was the first to leave the room.  Ura waited another hour before sneaking out a different direction.  She could tell no one had seen her make her grand escape, thankfully.  It was as if her day was alreadying looking up for her.  Katsumi should be waking up from her nap by that time.  Ura made it all the way to the private small temple Gaara had arranged for her and Sasuke.  When she opened the door, she heard a voice call out to her, “Hey.”

She took a step back to see Sasuke walking up to her.  Then, she heard cameras go off and a few people cheering in the back.  Ura looked to the front of the temple, paparazzi were already there.  Sasuke gently grasped her upper arm and waved to the cameras, “It's ok, just wave and smile.”

Ura didn't need to be told that by Sasuke.  She knew very well that was all the people wanted.  Both her and Sasuke entered the house, then shut the door.  Ura gave a loud sigh as she dusted herself off, “How were the meetings today?  Do any of them predict a sand storm?”

“They said this season was becoming unpredictable.  We'll have to take as much care and luck we can get.  As for the meetings, Gaara made it very clear that our ally-ship isn't endangered, but he will keep terms fair if I have no problems elsewhere,” Sasuke explained as he shrugged, “I'm sure Gaara was quite disappointed with my decision.  I hope you understand now, Ura.”

As much as she didn't want to answer his statement, she replied with a slight nod.  Sasuke responded with a soft kiss to her lips.  He then grasped her hand and led her up the stairs where they went to Katsmui's room.  Their daughter was just waking up in the elder nurse's arms.  Ura was allowed to hold her daughter first and caress her baby soft skin.  Sasuke was right, Katsumi had Ura's eyes.  It was as if she were holding the baby of herself.  Ura could already see her daughter playing a traditional role.  She would be a dutiful daughter-in-law, a wife, and mother.

“You know, we could follow tradition and prepare her dowry now.  We might even to get her betrothed with Temari's kid, if she has a son.  Would that make you happy?” Sasuke asked as he brought Ura out of her thoughts.

Ura could see Sasuke didn't want to see her unhappy.  Playing the good husband was making it harder to find the heart to leave him...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As disappointed as she was, Ura put on a brave face and held Katsumi in her arms as she and Sasuke sat in the carriage.  Sasuke was prepared for a sandstorm and lurking asassins.  Ura knew there wasn't a soul to be a thief in the desert.  But she wouldn't point that out to Sasuke even though she wanted to.  She didn't say a word as they traveled back to Sasuke's mansion.

“I know you're mad at me, but I do expect you to act normally when we get back,” Sasuke commented as he closed his eyes.

“I'm fine, i'm just..tired,” Ura shrugged as she gently rocked Katsumi.

Sasuke eyed her for a few moments before murmuring firmly, “I am still hoping you will get used to me or at least love me.  Let's just be a safe marriage and try to be happy together like our ancestors had done for centuries.”

Ura had been taught just that long ago.  But this was something she hadn't expected.  She did not know that she would end up wanting to marry Gaara than some stranger.  If she had never known Gaara, Ura would be in a pleasant marriage with Sasuke.  However, if she had known sooner of Gaara, she would have had the marriage with him.  Nothing seemed quite right.

“I know, Sasuke,” Ura whispered softly.

It was a few hours later that they arrived at dusk at Sasuke's manor.  Ura was happy to see the nursery built for her daughter and herself.  She gave Katsumi over to the wet nurse and left the room with Sasuke.  Sasuke and Ura went to the dining room where their supper and light tea were served.  Ura could hardly say a word from the distraught she was under, but she had to do what was right.  Leaving Sasuke meant leaving a luxurious life that she was used to and wanted Katsumi to have.  She would ruin her reputation as well as Katsumi's.  Everything now had to be considered with Katsumi included.  

“Sasuke,” Ura spoke up, causing her husband to glance towards her with a solemn gaze.

She could tell he was irritated with her.  How could he not be!?  He basically knew she loved another man and was questioning her role as his wife!  Ura cleared her throat as she stood up, “I don't want to argue after this, but...there needs to be an understanding.”

Sasuke stood up as well as he waved away the servants to leave the room.  The marriaged couple stood at each long end of the table.  Ura was never a woman to back down, but she wasn't threatened by Sasuke.  She was more worried about hurting him than anything else.  Sasuke leaned against the thick table, “Yes, Ura?  We're both fairly upset, so-”

“Whereas I see you as my dearest friend and partner, I cannot love you as a wife,” Ura's voice was soft and was commanding.  

It was not hard to see the daggers in Sasuke's piercing gaze.  She could see that he was quite upset with her honest words.  But, Sasuke didn't say a word.  He walked over to her quickly and stopped an inch away from her as he reached over and softly grasped her shoulder.  Sasuke had her lean closer to him as he whispered in her ear, “Whereas you may feel that way, we are still husband and wife.  I will grant no divorce or any plot to leave.  We are forbidden from breaking tradition.”

Sasuke then pulled away softly before then stating, “Lets finish our dinner and you go to bed.  I think i'll stay up awhile longer.”

Ura watched as Sasuke walked back to his seat and continued to eat.  How could she eat when all she wanted to do was slap him for talking to her like that!?  She left the dining room without finishing her dinner.  Instead of going back to the bed she had shared with Sasuke, she went to Katsumi's room and slept in the rocking chair next to Katsumi's crib.  It wasn't too hard to sleep, but she didn't know how long this feud would last between her and Sasuke.  They would have to work things out while she tried to device some sort of plan of escape.

Not three months later that Ura received a letter from Temari talking about Gaara's reaction to delaying their plan.  Temari had talked him into staying with her for awhile and have Ura go there as well to visit for some time.  Sasuke wouldn't know of Gaara stay and would allow Ura to go whenever she pleased.  Ura read a letter from Gaara hidden in Temari's letter in the garden as Katsumi played in the flowers.  Then, a sickness washed over Ura.  It was the middle of summer, she shouldn't be sick.  Was it something she ate?  Whatever was wrong was ready to pour out of her mouth at any second.  Ura hid the letter from Gaara in her bra as she made a mad-dash to a nearby bush and vomitted.  A thought then hit her: she was pregnant.  

Her eyes widened at what the possibilities were.  She hadn't slept with Sasuke since before their trip to her village...  Then that meant...  Ura covered her mouth as she felt both overwhelming joy and sudden fear.  This baby..was Gaara's child.  

“My lady!”

Ura's servant called after her.  Sasuke wasn't a fool.  He would know exactly who the child belonged to.  She turned to see her servant carrying Katsumi, who was fascinated with a flower.  Ura wiped her mouth as she waved her servant off, “Take Katsumi to the village and let her play with other toddlers her age.  Come back for lunch.”

With her order given, Ura then returned to the manor where she needed to figure out what to do.  In order to get away with carrying this child, she had to come up with some type of plan and fast.  Ura quickly brushed her teeth and changed her clothes.  She had to be on her best behavior if she wanted to make sure she and Katsumi were safe.  It didn't take her long to quickly put on a formal Uchiha-clan blouse and shorts.  Then, she went to where Sasuke conducted most of his business.  She reached his office where she knocked first, but didn't hear anyone respond.  Ura knocked again, only to have the door opened by Naruto, “Oh!  I-I thought..Sasuke was-”

“He's in here,” Naruto smiled brightly, “but it's kinda important that we keep things quiet.”

“She can come in,” Sasuke called out from inside the office.

Naruto opened the door a little more before allowing Ura to enter.  The door was quickly shut and locked as Ura approached her husband.  He was examining a large map on his desk.  Ura was about to ask what was going on before Sasuke explained, “There are rumors of a small rebellion not too far from the border of our country and Sound.  From what I hear, there's a woman by the name of Tsunade who wants to bring down our types of Clans and restore the old ways.”

Ura hadn't been around for the old ways.  It was said only one leader dictated a country or a province.  These leaders were given the title as a Kage through years upon years of training and leadership.  Only the most respected were given such titles.  However, when larger Clans became more wealthy, the Kages were easily removed for the Clans to take over.  Thus, that was why there were so many ruling Clans in each country.  

“You don't have an army big enough even for a small rebellion,” Ura warned Sasuke in a slight whisper.

“We can rally the villagers to fight for our family,” Sasuke commented as he took a step back from the map, “The top Clans of our country has supported the villagers for generations and have allowed for everyone to prosper.  Going back to those times would mean everyone would have to give all that we have worked so hard for to the Kage.”

Sasuke did have a point.  The villagers wouldn't want to give up what Sasuke and the others had given to them to remain faithful to the clans.  Ura felt some pride that her husband knew how to handle such worry that other leaders may have cowered at.  He then turned his soft gaze to her as he uncrossed his arms, “This is the first time in awhile that you've come to join me.  Have you forgiven me?”

Ura felt somewhat embaressed that Sasuke brought up a touchy subject with Naruto around.  She glanced to her side to see Naruto as interested in the conversation.  He must've already known.  With a soft sigh, Ura turned her attention back to Sasuke, “Yes.  We cannot argue when we have a happy marriage.  I couldn't ask for anything better.”

“Good,” Sasuke's smile warmed as he gently took Ura's hands to his lips, “I'll be finished and be happy to get your opinion later.  I'd like to talk to Naruto in private.  Sakura should be in the gardens or having tea.”

Though she wanted to know more, Ura left the study room to go 'visit' Sakura.  She detested the woman and would have hoped that she would never come back again.  However, to be a good hostess, she would be as nice as she was able to be.  She found Sakura sipping the tea she had imported from her village in Suna.  It was supposed to be for personal use only, but Ura decided to forgive this.

“How's Gaara?” was the first question Sakura dared to ask.  

“He's fine,” Ura answered as she took a seat next to her, “Have you met him before?”

“I was to be married to him before my parents decided on Naruto.  Though it wouldn't have been any better, I'd rather be here than in the desert,” Sakura shrugged as she finished the tea, “This is quite tasteless by the way.”

“It's naturally made by desert flowers, it supposed to be tasteless,” Ura commented as she placed her elbow onto the table, “It helps with morning sickness.”

“Oh,” Sakura turned her gaze over to Ura, “You're pregnant again?  It wasn't that long ago that Katsumi was born.”

“My husband and I enjoy each other,” Ura assured as she noticed that she hit a dark button for Sakura.

The two women sat in silence for a few minutes before they looked over at each other.  Ura remained resilient as she thought of her situation.  She was no better than Sakura...  She could've been more careful, but shouldn't she be happy?  This wasn't just any man's child, this was Gaara's child she was carrying.  Though she did feel somewhat happy, she could only imagine what Sasuke would say when he finds out.  

Sakura kept a sharp eye on Ura as she sipped more of the tea.  Then, Sakura stood up as the doors swung open to the garden.  Naruto and Sasuke stepped outside with grins on their faces.  Before they could say what good news they had, Sakura walked passed Ura to Naruto, “I will be leaving early.  There's something in the air here that just is repusling.”

“B-but I thought we would stay the night since it's going to storm-”

“Then you stay the night here, i'm going home,” Sakura huffed off.

Ura stood up to apologize quickly, but Sasuke held up a hand that signaled defeat.  Naruto sighed as he shrugged off Sakura's behavior, “Ah well...  I needed a break anyways.”

“Ura, could you show Naruto to his room,” Sasuke suggested, “I would like for you and I to talk later as well.”

“I would like that,” Ura replied quietly.

She could tell by Sasuke's eyes on her that he had a hunch what was going on.  Ura put on a brave face as she ushered Naruto to follow her into the guest portion of the manor.  Her stomach knotted up as she thought of what was to come with her talk with Sasuke.  Katsumi was safe, but her reputation would be destroyed because of one day's worth of passion.  

“Sasuke's lucky to have you has his wife.”

Ura slightly paused at Naruto's sudden comment.  She turned her head slightly to see he was looking out one of the bay windows.  That look in his eye was of saddness, he must've loved Sakura at some point.  Guilt waved through her..she really was no better than Sakura.  She led Naruto to a large bedroom for him to use as he please.  He walked to the doorway to look around before turning to face Ura, “I know I should talk to Sasuke about this, but I wanted to know if you would be ok with it too.”

She was about to ask what he was talking about, but Naruto continued, “Just think about it before you say anything.  Could Katsumi marry into one of my sons?”

Ura already knew the answer.  None of those children Sakura gave birth to were Naruto's.  He couldn't barter off children that didn't belong to him.  Ura merely smiled, “I'm sure my husband and I will speak about this tonight.”

“I bet,” Naruto smirked playfully, “You two 'talk' about it.”

Before she could object to any flirtatious remark about what her and her husband do, the door was already shut in her face.  Her dread grew as she thought about what she would have to do.  There were to be no lies between her and Sasuke at this point in their marriage.  Each step was heavier than the last as she walked towards Sasuke's office.  Every word she had to say crossed her mind and stabbed her heart.  If only Gaara was there now...she could at least have some comfort knowing he would've listened to her sorrow.

She knocked on the office door, Sasuke silently opened the door and allowed her to enter.  The air was thick as neither of them said a word as he shut the door gently.  Ura turned and faced him with a calm demeanor.  Her people were not emotional, nor were they to succomb to a fit of tears.  Instead, she took a deep breath and asked, “You know why we are here?”

“Word travels faster than you realize,” Sasuke commented as he poured himself a glass of bourbon, “I've been thinking about it before we left your home.”

“For Katsumi, I should-”

“Now you're thinking of our daughter?” Sasuke raised a brow, sarcasm on the tip of his tongue as he gazed dully at her, “And all because of some frivolous love affair?”

Ura remained silent as his words cut her like a knife.  She knew the harm she was doing without him reminding her.  Though she was growing irritated, he could've done worse.  He could've cut the child inside of her out.  She didn't lash out like she wanted or defend herself.  There was no point.  Ura kept a sharp gaze on Sasuke as he did the same with her, sipping his drink a few times before taking a seat behind his desk.  He then opened a side drawer and laid a stack of a papers between them.  Her eyes opened slightly as she realized what he was giving her, “These are...”

“Anullment papers,” Sasuke finished for her as he leaned back in his chair, “I'm giving you the option now.  If you sign these papers, you can take his child and yourself back to your village.  The marriage between us would have never existed.  Or, forget about what is in the past and remain here with me.  I will acknowledge the child as mine and we can move on with our lives.”

This was Sasuke's final offer for her to forget about Gaara.  Ura eyed the papers warily as she thought carefully.  Going back home meant leaving Katsumi with Sasuke.  Remaining with Sasuke meant staying with her two children, but denying Gaara of his child.  There was no good way out.  Ura took a step forward as she chose what was best for her children.  She slid the papers back to Sasuke and took a step back, “I promise to remain here and a faithful wife.  I will not cling to the past.”

The look of relief on Sasuke's face couldn't have made her feel more at ease.  Ura knew she was giving up a life she had wanted before.  Her mother and father didn't raise her to break the rules of tradition.  Sasuke stood up from behind his desk to walk over to Ura and embrace her softly.  This was best, wasn't it?

Slowly, the child inside of her grew.  Ura, however, grew more hollow each day.  She played, fed, and cradled her growing daughter in her arms each day, but she could barely feel any love for her own daughter.  Katsumi had Ura's emerald eyes and Sasuke's thick, black hair.  She was learning to grasp objects, even throwing them and laugh.  Ura was proud to have Katsumi in her life to keep her grounded, but the emptiness was too much.  The letters she wrote to Temari were growing short as she tried to explain her situation to her.  Then, the letters stopped.  Temari had stopped writing to her, Ura's heart broke even more.  She understood herself and the life she wanted for her children.

Months passed, and Ura sat in Katsumi's room with her daughter playing with blocks when a servant walked in.  Ura turned to look, only to see Temari behind the servant.  Before Ura allowed her servant to speak, she held her stomach as shock waved through her.  Behind her was Gaara as well.  Ura felt tears in her eyes as shame wafted through her.  

“Leave,” Temari stated, allowing herself, Gaara, and Ura a moment alone.

Ura didn't take her eyes off of Gaara as Gaara's surprised expression remained on Ura.  Temari didn't block their gaze as she broke the silence, “I'm sorry I didn't write to you, I felt seeing you in person was more important than a simple letter.”

“Gaara...” Ura could barely hear Temari's words over her heart beat, “I'm so sorry...”

“Please, don't be,” Gaara murmured in return, “I've placed you in a situation that would go against your morals.  For that, i'm sorry.  My feelings haven't changed.”

“Neither have mine,” Ura quickly responded, she wanted to kiss him so bad.

Temari waited a few moments before adding, “Sasuke knows we have arrived.  I told him Gaara was visitng and that I wanted to see you, he accepted us in his home.”

Hearing Sasuke's name brought Ura back to her thoughts.  She quickly picked up Katsumi and showed her to Gaara and Temari, “This my daughter.  Temari, I know one of your sons-”

“I would love to have Katsumi marry my oldest,” Temari smiled as she twirled a band of Katsumi's hair in her fingers, “She will enjoy my son's energy.  Thankfully, he's more like me.”

“And Gaara,” Ura turned to Gaara, placing a hand on her stomach.

Gaara's eyes widened even more as he eyed her large bulge.  She could see the excitement in his eyes, but then reality set in.  His cold, sky blue eyes landed on Ura's as his excitement faded.  She matched his dismay as she nodded softly, “Sasuke anticipates my child each day.  A crib has been set up and-”

“Come back to Suna,” Gaara murmured sharply as he reached out for Ura, “Disregard your status and come back to Suna.  The rebellion-”

“Gaara,” Temari cut him off, “The rebellion isn't for years to come.  What will her family say?  They won't accept her back in and-”

“I'm changing things to meet the rebellion's needs,” Gaara interupted Temari, then looked back to Ura, “We can marry and be the change for the future.”

Ura could feel the urgency around her, even Temari remained silent.  This was Ura's last attempt to leave everything behind and be with Gaara.  With Katsumi in her grasp, Ura felt the chains loosening around her as she took a step forward, “Then we must be swift.”

“I'll prepare a carriage for our departure,” Gaara quickly left the room.

Ura was about to have Temari hold Katsumi, but Temari took a step back, “She is your daughter, Ura.  Right now, you two need each other more than you realize.”

“I know you must think-”

“I support the rebellion,” Temari pulled out a badge from inside her kimono, “Shikamaru and I have left the mansion to be destroyed.  However, I want my son to marry you daughter.  I want us to be truly family.”

Joy swept through Ura as she thought of her future with Gaara and Temari.  Kankurou must support the rebellion as well, surely.  Temari then glanced out the window to see Gaara had a carriage set up.  Ura glanced out as well, that wouldn't be enough...  She knew Sasuke would be close by.  Temari must've knew as well when she looked back at Ura, “Get undressed, switch clothes with me.”

“Temari-”

“Don't worry about me, i'll be fine.  Just switch clothes with me now!” Temari demanded sharply.

Soon enough, Ura was wearing Temari's kimono with Katsumi squirming in her grasp.  Temari handed Ura the parasol she had and told Ura to hold Katsumi close enough so she won't be detected.  Ura's hair was up in a tight bun so she wouldn't be caught.  The parasol was kept low so she could go passed her servants without them noticing who she was.  Temari wore Ura's slimming dress with unease as she sat in the nursery chair with a look of worry on her face.  Ura didn't want to leave Temari behind when so many things could go wrong, “Temari...please, we can't do this to each other.”

“I need you and Gaara to both be happy.  I would do anything to see my baby brother with the woman he loves and the child that he can call his,” Temari pleaded, “Please, go.  I will be home by tomorrow night.”

It was all Ura could do before tucking Katsumi's face close to her neck as she lowered the parasol to hide her identity.  Temari's thick kimono covered her bulging stomach as she meandered through the halls until she made it to the entry hallway.  She could taste freedom as she left the manor to see Gaara waiting by the carriage.  Ura bit her lip as she quickened her pace, entering the carriage before Gaara.  Once he shut the door, Ura had to force herself to remain still until they could no longer see the manor.  She released Katsumi from her arms and held onto Gaara tightly.  His arms, now wrapped around her, gave her the heat and warmth she had craved for her year away from him.  There was no happier place than in his arms.

The ride back to Suna was much shorter than Ura had thought it was.  Soon enough, she was stepping into pure sand instead of grass.  She could look up to see Gaara remained in the mansion his father had owned.  Ura glanced around, Gaara had mentioned changes, but she saw none.  Gaara escorted Ura and her daughter inside the mansion before he turned to Ura, “You're a free woman now.  What do you plan on doing?”

Ura held a small smile on her face as she saw the casualness in Gaara's icy blue eyes.  He knew what she wanted, and he wanted it as much as she did.  She held the sleeping Katsumi in her arms and murmured, “I want us to be a family.  You, me, Katsumi, and our child inside me.  There's nothing I want more.”

“We can rebuild this system together.  We can show that we are equals in power who want to help the villagers, not control them,” Gaara further explained as he led Ura to a room he had made for Katsumi, “No servants for us, we will all be the same.  This will be a new system.”

“Who will represent Suna then?” Ura questioned as they reached the second floor of the mansion.

“I will talk with the elders and let them decide who will be the next Kazekage,” Gaara answered as he opened the door to a room filled with stuffed animals and a baby pink wallpaper.

Ura's heart melted knowing Gaara had prepared for her and Katsumi.  She gently laid her sleeping daughter in the crib before turning to Gaara.  He gazed at her so softly as she approached him.  This had to be the right choice..it felt too right for her to be wrong.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Sasuke stood in the very office where he and Ura had signed the contract that binded them for life.  He was no fool.  When Temari brought Gaara, it was the last chance she was giving.  Sasuke stood aside, hoping his wife would keep her promise and remain faithful.  

He held the contract in his hands as he gazed out at the night sky.  Ura was back in Suna.  There was nothing left for him to do.  Now, he had to make these matters into greater lengths.  He heard the office door open and close, but he made no attempt to see who it was, he already knew.  

“Are you sure you're prepared for this, my lord?  This may cause a war we are not able to handle,” the village elder asked.

“I'm quite serious,” Sasuke stated, holding the contract slightly tighter, “This contract was signed and witnessed by my ancestors.  I want what every husband wants; I want what's rightfully mine.”

“All for a woman?” the elder dared to speak up, “There are plenty of other honorable women who are willing to be your wife.”

“I have only one wife,” Sasuke turned to give a sharp gaze to the elder, “And she has only one husband, no matter how many times she breaks my heart.”

The elder held his hands together as he turned his gaze to the floor.  All this for a good-for-nothing woman?  A harlot who ran off with a leader who was turning his village to a rebellion?  The elder nodded as he agreed to Sasuke's terms.  Afterwards, he left the office with a sullen stomach.  All of Konoha remained stagnant with their view that the rebellion was useless.  The old ways must remain the same in order for peace to continue.  Everyone had money, everyone had food in their stomach, and the rebellion was disrupting the system.

Meanwhile, Sasuke packed a few belongings as well as folding up the contract.  He also had to prepare a few other people to come along as well.  Before that, he had to make sure he had one thing certain.  Sasuke went to his daughter's bedroom to see a woman sitting in the chair.  She wore his wife's clothes, but she was his not his wife.  He neared her, only to see her lightly trembling.  This was a piss poor plot...  Sasuke crossed his arms as he stated, “Get up, Temari, you're not fooling anyone here.”

“But..how?” Temari stood up with her fists up.

“I'm not fighting you, but i'm sending you back home,” Sasuke waved a hand, “You are to go home and never come back here.”

“As you wish,” Temari was about to pass him, but Sasuke gently brushed his fingers against her arm, “Do not seek my wife, do not contact her, and don't disobey me.”

He watched as Temari hesitated before quickly running off.  Sasuke waited until he could hear his main doors open and close, Temari had left.  Whether or not she warned Ura of his knowing was no longer relevent.  
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It had been a month since her escape.  Her son, Osamu, was welcomed by Gaara, chosen to be the Kazekage until his dying day, and the rest of his family.  Well, Temari hadn't come back yet, worrying Ura.  Kankurou and Hinata moved into Gaara's mansion to join in the rebellion army as officers.  Ura was surprised they didn't get a divorce since joining the rebellion after a loveless marriage.

The new wife of Gaara sat in Osamu's nursery room while Katsumi fiddle with a few toy blocks next to Ura's rocker.  Osamu slept peacefully in Ura's arms as she gently rocked him back and forth.  He had Gaara's crimson red hair and icy blue eyes, but he had her face.  Her life finally felt complete with a part of Gaara in her arms.  

A medic-nin walked into the nursery and bowed to Ura, “General, the Lord Kazekage summons you to his office.”

Due to her part in the rebellion and her escape exagerated, Ura was given the title as General of the Suna Ninja.  She gave her son to the medical-nin and patted her daughter on the head before going to Gaara's office.  As soon as she arrived, she felt a feeling of dread as Temari stood in the office.  She was covered in dirt and mud head to toe.  Ura composed herself as she walked, calmly, over to her friend, “What happened to you?”

“I tried to make it back to Shikamaru's, but I was block-aided by an army of villagers,” Temari answered, “They aren't our kind of villagers when they know a few tricks.  This was what the Old-Kind are doing.  They hide those who have real talent in fighting in the village to keep them as their dogs so they don't have to get-”

Ura put her hand up to stop Temari from going on a rant.  She then asked, “What happened to Shikamaru?”

“I managed to fight off the villagers to get to my husband in what was left of our home.  We made it here with what we had to travel on foot,” Temari explained as she showed off the grime all over her, then looked back at Ura, “The fact is, however, is that the entire village army I fought had the same symbol as the Uchiha's village.”

“To make it simple, Sasuke is waging war with our country and the rebellion,” Gaara finished as he leaned on the front of his desk.

A lump filled Ura's throat as if the breath was held inside of her.  Sasuke couldn't, no..he would never let her leave willingly.  She couldn't force herself to hate the man that gave her a beautiful daughter and life she wouldn't have left on normal conditions.  But...  Ura glared at the floor as she forced herself to feel fury for the man who dared to threaten her home village and country.  Gaara allowed Temari to leave in order to rest, and then went over to Ura, “You and our children will be safe.  This is-”

“His army outnumbers ours,” Ura commented as she gently held onto Gaara's Kage robe, “The only way we could win is if we had a miracle and Gaara...” she looked into his eyes filled with worry, “We're fighting on a chance that we may not be able to afford.”

She was mentioning her children.  Ura grew up in a feudal times where she barely left the house in fear of her reputation.  Now, she was able to move freely in the village, go to bars with Gaara, and do what she was never allowed to do.  She wanted a life of enjoyment for her children, but not to see what the other side of reality of war and blood.  

“This is the freedom we demanded,” Gaara reminded her, “We grew up ignorant to the rest of the world.  This is just a downfall of what we are demanding.”

Ura trusted Gaara's word even though she didn't agree with him.  She felt the comfort of his arms and the solace in his kiss.  Like that, she didn't want to worry about anything.

Reality changes quickly, however.  

Ura was already prepped in her uniform.  A steel studded breast plate that covered around her armpits down to just above the bottom of her ribcage.  Inches of white bandages were tied around the remaining part of her torso and waist while she wore loose black shorts.  She could feel the sand already inside her ninja boots as she grabbed her large fan.  This was the first time she would use her fan, similar to Temari's but had a more 'sandy' color and six red moons, in battle.  For defense only, Ura had been trained briefly of it's use growing up, but had trained more since her return.

When she finished dressing, Ura went to see her children one last time.  Katsumi sat up straight, gazing up at Ura with her emerald eyes as Osamu continued to sleep.  Ura kissed her daughter's forehead and reminded her to be a good girl for her mother.  She then went to Osamu's crib and grazed her fingers across his chubby cheek.  Her children were perfect for her.  

It was time to face what she had ran from.  Ura went down to the main hall to see Gaara waiting for her.  They were about to leave through the front doors until a raven swooped into an open window and landed on the railing of the stairwell.  Ura and Gaara glanced at each other for a moment before Gaara went over to the raven, that carried a note.

Gaara opened the letter carefully, but Ura could see the worry in his eyes.  She waited for a moment before asking, “What does it say?”

He did not answer.  Instead, Gaara handed the letter to her without a word or hint of what it could possibly say.  Ura opened the letter to read:

“Ura,

I hope this letter reaches your hands before I act.  Though you have ran away from your obligations to be with your love, I cannot allow you to remain there.  I have given you enough time to find yourself and, because I hope you are as intelligent as I believe you to be, you should know what you have done is wrong.  As your husband, I am initiating the Act of Blood until you come back to my home.  You have three days to return to our home to end this act.  If you do not, you have made your decision.

Your husband,
Sasuke Uchiha”

Her mind went numb as she lowered the letter from her gaze.  She did not have a choice.  Sasuke was imposing the Act of Blood, an ancient ritual that bound the wife to her husband.  It was forbiggen in the Land of the Wind, Fire, and Sound.  The Act of Blood was initiated when a wife leaves her husband, it gives the husband the right to kill her family, her village, and any children she may have that are not his.  Ura couldn't believe Sasuke would go to great lengths to force her back.  Her eyes then darted to Gaara to see him gazing at her with worry.  As much as she didn't want to say it, Ura had to, “This has gone too far, Gaara, I won't let my village suffer for me.”

“We can fight him back,” Gaara countered as he snatched the letter from her grasp, “We can't just give up now-”

“I'm talking about you and my children,” Ura stated sharply as she took Gaara's wrist, forcing him to stop talking.

Because he was her leader, she wasn't allowed to touch him in anger.  However, they were married, Ura was able to do a little more because of her status.  This was the first time though.  She gave his wrist a light squeeze as her gaze softened, “This is hard for the both of us, but you are the Kazekage.  You are sworn to protect your village with your life.  I am the mother of two beautiful children, and I have a part of you in our son.  Gaara, I could not ask for a better life than the one you had given me for such a short time.”

She could see the hurt and anger in Gaara's eyes as he wriggled his wrist free from her grasp.  He seethed for a moment before calming down, turning his gaze away from hers.  Ura wanted to comfort Gaara, but it would only make parting worse.  Instead, she took a step back, “Lets just be happy with the memory we shared together.”

“What about when we're older and he passes away first?” Gaara's voice had a shred of hope left as he turned to face her, “You can always come back.”

“Gaara,” Ura murmured as her heart went out to how desperately he wanted to cling to hope, “Even then, I will be an old widow, I will have to remain to be honored by my grandchildren and great grandchildren.  One day, we will be reunited.”

This wasn't good enough for Gaara.  He balled his fists as his hurt was beginning to swallow him.  Gaara walked over quickly to Ura and clung to her.  Ura felt hot tears in her eyes, but she refused to cry.  She had to be strong for Gaara and her children.  Gaara's warm breath reached her ear as he whispered to her, “I will continue the rebellion and liberate his country.  You will be free from him and be able to come back to me as my wife without worry of any act.”

He released her from his embrace.  Ura quickly went to her children's room to scoop Osamu into her arms and take Katsumi's hand to lead them out.  Gaara had a carriage waiting for her outside his manor.  She loaded her children into the carriage, then turned to look at Gaara one last time.  In truth, it would be a long time before she would see him again.  Ura then entered the carriage and held onto her children the entire ride back to her life with Sasuke.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The trip was uneventful, but Ura knew a storm was brewing in the Uchiha manor.  Her children were welcomed by their father who scooped up Katsumi in his arms and held her tightly.  Katsumi was excited to see her father and her tiny arms squeezed his neck in happiness.  Ura held Osamu, his head against her heart, as she watched the scene.  Sasuke then handed Katsumi to one of the nannies and asked them to go inside.  Then, Sasuke tuned his attention to Ura and her son.  His dark eyes scanned the child's crimson hair and dark circles around his eyes.  Sasuke then noticed the replaced ring on her left ring finger.  It was an amber ring with a diamond stone, the same ring Gaara's mother had.  Ura covered it quickly, but Sasuke snatched her wrist, nearly causing her to lose grip on Osamu, and slid it off her finger.

“Give that back!” Ura stated angrily as she took a step forward.

“This is worthless,” Sasuke tossed it down the cliff, “I never want to see it again, do I make myself clear?”

“I'll find it and keep it for myself,” Ura looked down over the cliff-side to see if she could find it.

Sasuke then appeared close to her, he seemed larger than she could remember.  Ura stared up at him.  She didn't want him to think she would back down so easily now that they both knew how the other felt.  Sasuke only wanted tradition where she wanted to be with someone she actually loved.  If she couldn't get her wish, then neither could he.  Sasuke lowered his head to where they were eye to eye, “Things will be different around here until you actually change and become the filial wife I demanded.  If you want this bastard in your arms to live, you'll do as I say.”

With that said, Sasuke turned and entered his manor as Ura stood motionless.  Her stomach churned from the anger she felt and the trap she was now in.  There was nothing else.  She had everything to lose.  Ura felt Osamu start squirm and could hear a small cry from him.  Quickly, she silenced him and lulled him back to a soft sleep.  Ura, with everything she ever loved in the manor and in her arms, was now in Sasuke's grasp.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ten years passed.  Ura watched as her daughter was being tutored in her new chores.  She was to knit, cook, clean, dance, and speak a different language.  Her son, Osamu, was playing with other children in the villages since his studying was over for the day.  Pride beamed on Ura's face as she watched her daughter quickly pick up a new recipe.  At one point, Ura would'v wanted her daughter to solely learn the art of genjutsu, but Sasuke decided it was best to keep to tradition.

Ura, now almost thirty, was the wife Sasuke had always wanted.  She had born him three more sons that were being cared for by the nurses and other nannies.  Never complaining, but most importantly, she never spoke of Gaara.  In her heart, Ura thought of Gaara as a distant memory that she dreamt of each night as a reminder of her duties as his wife as well.  Though Sasuke had thrown that ring off the cliff, Ura considered herself Gaara's wife and Sasuke's ward.  Over time, she had grown to respect Sasuke out of force, now she's just used to him being alive.  

“Lady Uchiha, I would like to take Katsumi outside for natural ingredients,” the tutor asked.

“Of course, Katsumi, be on your best behavior,” Ura warned her daughter as she stood up.

“Yes, Mother,” Katsumi smiled.

Ura watched as her daughter and the tutor left the library.  Already, her daughter was being asked by many families for marriage.  Sasuke kept only one promise: that Katsumi was promised to Temari's son.  Katsumi would not gain wealth, but both her parents knew Temari's family would care for Katsumi with all the love they had.  Ura also didn't admit that Temari and Gaara were apart of the rebellion.  Katsumi would be safe on the other side of the war.

She sat back down as she thought of what else she needed to do that day.  Sasuke was somewhere around the manor.  Staying inside would make her go crazy faster.  Leaving would bring back memories she didn't want to think about at the moment.  Nothing really seemed right anymore.  Osamu was her only escape to think about the past.  Sasuke would not plan a marriage for Osamu, and Ura was happy with that.  Her son with Gaara would be able to choose his life and make decisions for himself.  He was given a life she had always wanted.  

“There you are.”

Sasuke entered the library with a book.  The years have been kind to him.  She couldn't complain about herself either.  Her hips were becoming more round and her breasts were larger from the milk she carried.  Sasuke was always attractive, but that didn't mean her feelings for him were different.

“Katsumi will make a fine bride,” Ura commented as she reached for a book closer to her to be distracted from Sasuke's presence.

“As long as she sticks to tradition, she'll find plenty of happiness,” Sasuke sat across from her, “It's just nice to have children around in the manor.  There will be plenty of grandchildren after our kids are grown.”

Ura didn't respond.  She knew Sasuke wanted more children, but five was enough.  It was the number they agreed upon when they were young and she gave the amount as promised.  They both read their own books for a few minutes before Sasuke murmured, “That rebellion is getting closer.  Naruto is thinking that we should just give in.  Neji is holding steadfast and fighting back.  If Neji hears about Naruto, then we might let Sakura and her children stay here.”

“She'll side with Neji and stay with him,” Ura responded softly, “I don't want her near my children.”

“I know you two haven't gotten along, but she's an old friend.  If something were to happen to Naruto, then Sakura would need to be cared for,” Sasuke explained as he shut his book.

“And i'm saying that caring for her would mean for her to be in your bed,” Ura closed hers as well.

“There's no reason to act like that,” Sasuke commented, “But back to the point, I'm trying to figure out which side we're supposed to be on.  Apparently, if we join the rebellion, everything still remains the same.  The elders are the ones who choose a Kage and if i'm chosen, we can remain here and still have the luxuries.”

“That's not the point at all,” Ura explained, “If we join the rebellion, Kage or not, we can still remain here.  Your clan has always cared for the village and you still care for the village to this day.  No one would blame you for wanting the village to have equal rights with us.”

“That's not how it works-”

“That's exactly how it works,” Ura cut her husband off, “I would know.”

Sasuke eyed Ura for a moment before pursing his lips.  Gaining trust from her, and Ura playing as the filial wife for ten more years, he started to value her opinion again.  Ura opened her book again and began to read.  She had no more words to share for Sasuke.  He did the same, but his thoughts went elsewhere.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Barely a week later, Ura and Sasuke were awakened in the middle of the night.  Sasuke grabbed a nearby sword as Ura pushed a dagger up her sleeve as they went to the top of the entrance staircase.  A servant opened the door, Naruto staggered in with blood dripping down his back.  Sasuke was the first to flee down the stairs to his friend's aide as Ura ordered for a doctor to be called.  Naruto was taken to the master bedroom where he was placed in the bed as a doctor rushed in to look at Naruto's wounds.

Sasuke and Ura didn't leave their friend's side as the doctor gave Naruto a heavy sedative to sleep through the operation.  

It was the next day that Naruto woke with Sasuke and Ura sleeping on the floor next to the bed.  Naruto could hardly move from the wound on his back, but could hear them breathing.  He managed to call out softly enough until Ura woke up.  She sat up carefully, not to wake Sasuke, and looked over at Naruto, “How are you feeling?”

“Like i've been stabbed in the back.  Ura, don't say anything to Sasuke, but i've joined the rebellion,” Naruto whispered very low, “Sakura took the kids and went to Kiba's.”

“What about-”

“She's been missing for months,” Naruto admitted, “No one wanted to say anything, but Tenten hasn't been seen since Sakura's been making weekly trips to see Kiba.”

Ura covered her mouth.  It was common for an unwanted wife to be murdered by her husband's hand.  She just thought that it wouldn't happen to someone she knew.  Naruto closed his eyes and layed is head back on the pillow, “Sakura did this to me while I was sleeping.  Thought I would just give up and die.  Honestly, I don't regret marrying her.  I got what I wanted: I wanted to marry Sakura.  And I did, whether or not she loved me in return was irrelevant.”

“Naruto...  I'm so sorry,” Ura murmured, her heart went out to both Tenten and Naruto for losing a lost cause.

“Don't worry about it.  Just do me a favor,” Naruto opened his eyes and looked over at Ura, “Join the rebellion.  Do what you have to do to get Sasuke in it too, just please try.”

Ura took Naruto's words as a sign.  His words reminded her of what Gaara had said just before they parted.  This was a sign.  She then asked, “Have you heard anything from Gaara?  Do you know what's going on for my country?”

Naruto remained silent for a few minutes as he stared at Ura.  He was hiding something from her.  Ura, though she never threatened anyone besides Sasuke, pulled the dagger out of her sleeve, “I will make this a quick process if you don't tell me.”

His deep blue eyes turned to the dagger that she held in a tight grasp.  For years, he suscpected that something was going on between Ura and Sasuke.  Now, the rumors were true.  Naruto gulped silently before whispering, “Sasuke swore me to secrecy, but Gaara is planning on an invasion and let Sasuke know of it.  Gaara's army is larger than ever, he has the entire rebellion behind him.”

Ura felt a warm feeling wash over her.  She knew Gaara would keep his promise.  This was her chance to finally join him and become the fighter that she wanted to be.  She could fight for her children, fight for her real family, and fight for her country.  Ura slid the dagger back up her sleeve as she lowered herself back to the floor.  Soon, she would be rid of this wretched life and continue what she had before.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Later on that week, Naruto's wound was healing greatly.  Sasuke stood in the office as he examined a few papers.  Ura, however, rounded up her children and had them wait in the entrance hallway.  She grabbed the two nannies that mainly cared for her children and told them their new orders.  They were to wait for Ura, call a carriage, and start their new services under only her.  After she finished giving the orders, Ura then proceeded to Sasuke's office.  Sasuke had not informed her of Gaara's actions, but now that she knew, it was time to make her final move.

Ura entered Sasuke's office quietly and knocked to let him know of her arrival.  Sasuke turned, slightly surprised to see her, and greeted her, “I didn't expect you.  Is everything ok?”

“No, Sasuke,” Ura shook her head gently as she approached him, “I've been informed of the impending war between my country and yours.  I only wish that you were the one who had told me.”

Sasuke didn't respond as he watched her come closer.  Ura then was about two feet away from him as her gaze softened, “We've been married for almost eleven years now.  I can't tell you the troubles we've gone through together and how each of us have grown to respect the other.  However, I support the rebellion and the causes.  Now, I would like to know yours.”

“The rebellion is just what it is, a childish rebellion.  It's best to keep to tradition and learn that it's the best option for everyone,” Sasuke answered as he crossed his arms, a smile formed on his lips as he took a step towards Ura, “We can always debate-”

“I'm sorry, Sasuke,” Ura took a step back as her gaze hardened on him, “But I stand firm with the rebellion.”

Sasuke's smile faded as he watched her take off the ring and hold it out for him.  Ura could see that Sasuke's expression was no longer amused.  Even he knew that the rebellion would eventually win.  When Sasuke did not take the ring, Ura walked passed him and placed their wedding ring on his desk, “Eleven years have passed and it's time that the traditions end.  A new time is upon us, Sasuke.  We can choose to be something different and choose the people we want in our lives.  I want you to see your children and have them apart of your life, but you have to choose to let me leave willingly and safely.”

Again, Sasuke still did not say a word.  Ura went back into his line of vision as she stood calmly in front of him, “I will tell you what i'm planning on doing so there will still be no secrets between us:  I am going back to my country, I will make sure our children are safe, and I will fight along side Gaara for the rebellion.  Afterwards, I will continue my marriage with Gaara and continue on with my life.  I suggest for you to do the same, continue on with a safe life.”

She waited for Sasuke to say something, but he did not.  Ura didn't wait for him.  Turning back slowly, Ura then walked out of Sasuke's office as a new woman.  She was no longer a child, she no longer feared for her reputation.  Ura approached her children and held Osamu and Katsumi's hand as Ura, her children, and the nannies were put into one, large carriage.  After making sure her children were in a good spot, Ura then looked out the window to see Sasuke standing at the main doors.  He would have to find her if he wanted to see his children.  Ura was no longer a traditionalist.  Instead, she was a rebe now and was in enemy territory, she would go back to her own homeland and become safe once again.

Days passed when Ura finally reached Suna.  She was not greeted because this was unannounced.  Ura led the way as her children sleepily followed her as well as the nannies each carrying a child, and Ura carrying one of her infants as well.  Finally, they made it to Gaara's manor where Ura knocked on the door.  A servant opened the door and allowed the large group inside.  Ura was nervous.  She hadn't heard from Gaara in ten years.  He could be married, he could have forgotten her.  If he was married, well...she would just have to accept that and move on with her life, though her intentions were for him.

The seconds felt like hours until Ura could hear quick footsteps.  Ura looked up the staircase to see Gaara, a few inches taller.  He walked casually down the stairs until they were face to face.  His gaze followed to all of the children, then to the nannies, then back to Ura.  Ura searched his hands to see if there was a ring.  Her heart ached as she saw that he did wear a ring.  She then smiled, “It's been so long, Gaara.  I can't believe it's finally that time.  I came as soon as I heard you were going to war with Sasuke.”

“You came at the right time, then,” Gaara's voice was slightly deeper now, “I'll have my men take your children to a safe place.  There's an urgent matter I wish to discuss with you.”

A few shinobi then appeared in smoke and guided Ura's children and nannies further into the manor.  Gaara led Ura up the stairs to the office.  Ura couldn't believe that Gaara was married now, after all that she had done to be with him.  Then again, wasn't that life?  As soon as the door closed, Gaara pressed Ura against the wall as his lips roamed her neck.  Ura, stunned at the sudden act, shoved Gaara off of her, “You have a wife, we can't-”

“You are my wife,” Gaara stated as he approached her again and held her arms, “You've always been my wife, and now we'll stay like this until the day we die.”

Ura looked up at Gaara and knew that he was right.  She would never have to worry about Sasuke, nor would she have to worry for her children.  Now, she was a kunoichi of the Sand.  She was Gaara's wife.  And she was a fighter in the rebellion.  There was nothing she could ask for more.


Converting /tmp/phpjZp4ko to /dev/stdout