Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Tsunade's Heir ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the official Naruto. But my ideas are mine.

Chapter 11
Unlocked
Like the aftermath of a storm, it was a calm but devastated scene on the inside of 98th Roppou Street. And both Naruto and Gaara were taking this time for a well deserved rest.
Naruto lay slumped against the wall of 98th Roppou Street. Staring at the crumpled and unconscious boy tiredly. Naruto looked at his destroyed surroundings. The living room had been thrashed, trashed - and in some places - even slashed. Three or four sizable holes were now found in the walls, but hopefully the building's integrity would stay for a bit longer… Amazing, the boy thought, Gaara and Shukaku were in a mental struggle for all of… maybe fifteen minutes.
Naruto sighed. Almost as if to be a physical representation of the struggle between child and beast, Gaara's (or was it Shukaku's) sand had stormed though the room. That the original, helpless residents of 98th Roppou Street were still alive, was singularly thanks to Naruto's efforts. An effort that had left the boy exhausted.
“Heh, I have to admit, Gaara” Naruto grinned tiredly despite himself, “you… got guts” he chuckled. Coming out of that massive rumble alive - and apparently victorious - the feeling of catharsis was incredible. He sighed contentedly as he observed the red head in the middle of the room that was, for perhaps the first time in his life, slumbering peacefully.
-
(Soliloquy start)
Actually, from the moment I saw Gaara, I suspected something. There was just something in his posture… which I was instantly familiar with. Yes… it was the posture that I would never, ever allow myself to hold. No matter how natural it felt.
Because of my respect for my mother's love and her words that day, I could never, ever hold myself as a monster.
-
x-flashback-x
Naruto, age four, confronted his mother at the local playground near their temporary house.
“Kaa-chan, I'm…” the child hesitated. “I'm different, right?”
Tsunade froze, though it didn't seem like it. No, actually she smoothly knelt to look her adopted son in the eye, but in truth she did freeze. She froze right at the heart. “N-Naru-chan… what - what's wrong?”
The young Naruto didn't meet his mother's eyes. He could not find the strength. “I just thought… well, I never apologized and… s-sorry, I guess…”
No. Surely not. Surely he could not mean that! “For being… different?” Tsunade asked tentatively.
“…”
Tsunade grimaced slowly, as if in pain. Her son. Her stubborn and often annoying, but so lovable and warm and darling son: he'd nodded. “Naru-chan if you're sorry…” she began sadly, “then I'm sorry too.”
Startled, the boy stared at her. “Wh-What?”
Smiling softly, she rubbed the boy's hair affectionately. “I'm different too, Naru-chan. Even if we leave out that I break and fix people almost without paying attention, have you ever met anyone that talks the same, walks the same, and looks the same as me?”
“What?” the boy scrunched up his face. “Of course there isn't someone like that!”
“That's right!” Tsunade shouted victoriously, surprising the hell out of Naruto. She shot to her feet, stomped her foot a bit and pointed down at her son's face - as if preparing for a life-or-death proclamation. Perhaps getting more fired up than was appropriate - assumedly so that what she said would have a lasting impression - she continued. “Likewise, there isn't anyone around that's the same as Naru-chan! This is a fact. It's so obvious that you're probably thinking `what's Kaa-chan getting at?' or something like that. But actually, this is all just proof.”
“Proof?” Naruto echoed.
“Yes,” Tsunade nodded seriously. “This is the undeniable proof that you are unique. Everything that makes up Houou Naruto, belongs under your sole ownership. That ownership is impossible to transfer for the simple reason… that there isn't anyone that can take your place.”
Understandably confused, as he could not see the relevance of this, Naruto could only go “E-Eh??” and look surprised.
“Whether you become a proud person or a stubborn person… strong, fast, wise, or even fat like a cow. These are the things which you will decide and build up for yourself. And whether these things are good or bad is up to individuals to decide. Naru-chan, that is how `good' and `evil' is decided in this world.”
“…” Not saying a word, the boy only listened intently.
“But for instance, that shirt you're wearing” she eyed the offending piece of clothing. “It's a horrible orange, with a bright blue, giant mouse on the front. Actually, I think it's so ugly that I want to burn it when you aren't looking.”
“Hey!” Naruto protested. “I like this shirt!”
“Yes” she agreed. “And even if the whole world were to decide to hate the damn thing; Even if there were rallies in the street and political discussions about just how such an ugly thing can exist… You are still allowed to like it. To form that opinion, in other words to build that viewpoint up: it's completely your right to do so. And that belongs to you. It may not - cannot - be taken. And the second that somebody tries to change that; the second they step beyond `trying to convince' and into `forcing to change'… at that time Naru-chan,” Tsunade's voice became hard and sharp, “at that time… you may immediately punch that person in the face - at full force. And if you tell me what happened: even if the person is a Kage or a lawyer or a Daimyo… or even myself, I will come to back you up. Definitely,” she intoned. Whispering, she added “Your status as a container… is also like that.”
“Oh” the boy's eyes widened as he took time to think on this. “Ah… even though I didn't build it up myself, huh?”
“Yeah,” Tsunade affirmed ruefully. “But sorry, there's one exception I didn't mention.”
“Eh?”
“Even though I said all that,” she knelt down slowly and hugged him tightly, “I won't allow you to say `so I'm a monster' even if I have to force you through some unknown method. So if you want believe that then,” she smiled, “you're going to have to punch me. You'll have to punch me forever.”
“…N-Nah,” the blond refused and rubbed at his mysteriously teary eyes (there's some dust there, I swear), “It's okay. Hey Kaa-chan?”
“Hm? What now?”
“I… Thanks. A lot”
“Ah.”
There was a lengthy time as Naruto came to terms with his mother's words, feeling lighter and lighter. He was relieved that a weight of guilt that had slowly built upon his shoulders gradually, steadily evaporated. Finally:
“Kaa-chan?”
Tsunade's eyebrow raised, “What else?”
With the swift precision that all boys are in possession of, Naruto deftly destroyed the warm atmosphere. “This hug is kind of embarrassing”
“What!” Tsunade immediately demanded. “The hell it is! You're only four years old!”
“I'm a boy! Hugs outside the house aren't allowed!”
“A-Aren't allowed?” Tsunade echoed, “Aren't allowed, you said?! Do you realize that you're talking to your mother!? Just what kind of brat are you!?”
x-end flashback-x
Now that I think about it, it's as if Gaara represented the path that my past self did not walk down. Yes… he was the shadow of my past. He was the type of person which - under different circumstances - I could have become. And so I felt an overwhelming urge to befriend him, and believe in him. Additionally, if there was no hope for this person, then thoughts of what I might have been would continue to plague me forever.
Naruto sighed, making himself comfortable. Frankly speaking, he just didn't have the drive to get up and go anywhere right now. However, while he was exhausted, it was the kind of refreshing and purposeful exhaustion that came after a job well-done. Nonetheless, the boy was interrupted by a low, gurgling, growl.
His stomach? Ah, damn, the Taiyaki stand… Where the hell was it… But nah, he couldn't bring himself to wake up his new friend, who was sleeping peacefully for perhaps the first time… ever? Yes, that's probably right. That tanuki thing was either as unconscious as Gaara or worse. “You really did fight like hell, didn't you?” Naruto rhetorically asked the red-head, closing his eyes and settling in to join his friend in slumber. “You know,” he mused sleepily, “I think you and me are going to get along just fine.”
But Gaara was unconscious of course, so Naruto wasn't expecting any answer from all of this.
So when an eerie, high-pitched voice answered anyway, it sent chills down his spine. “I wouldn't count on it
“N-No way!” Naruto bolted to his feet, or tried to. An enormous clawed arm encompassed his torso and pinned him up to the wall with a force that generated spider-web cracks along the surface. “Argh!” D-Damn, what the hell? This thing?! What the hell's it going to take to put this thing down!?
-
x-Sunagakure: Rooftops-x
Temari shivered at the sensation saturating her body. This sensation was that of excitement. She had seen something incredible here today. That blond idiot friend of hers… The one she could beat in chess without fail - to think he held within him such awesome power. Oh, she'd seen study his medicine and she'd even seen him train a little. She'd seen him go through some basic - and frankly, clunky - taijutsu movements. And of course, she'd also seen him display his far-above average strength in breaking the trainng dummy several times by accident. No, that wasn't it. The power that Naruto held, which impressed her to such an extent and sent her body shivering…
It was because of Gaara. That unstable Gaara who'd killed people for looking at him; and who'd killed people for not looking at him… Through some magic, that Gaara had listened to Naruto. That unstable and incomprehensible Gaara had been understood by Naruto. And with her idiot friend's support, and under his urging, that Gaara had seemingly silenced Shukaku - perhaps forever.
And without Shukaku there, and with Naruto's mysterious ability to communicate with Gaara, perhaps the meaningless and brutal killings would stop. Perhaps, too, she could be a sister to the little brother she'd never had closeness to. It was a change in the world she'd regretted her whole life, and it sent her heart racing.
Temari was just getting to her most excited and hopeful state about the wind of change that was seeming to blow through her world, standing up and clenching her hands in excitement, when she felt the aura of malice return in such force, and spread, and closeness to reality that she was instantly crippled onto her knees, instinctually clutching her fan as if it would protect her. And she knew, in that moment, that the one thing which was never to be allowed to ever happen, did. Having seen a glimpse of heaven, it seems that in the cruel reality it was only a misleading prequel to hell.
-
x-98th Roppou street-x
Puny human!” it shrieked. “Puny prey! How pathetic: did you expect a great Tailed Demon like myself to lose?” Naruto wasn't sure what chilled him the most: the feel of having his entire chest area slowly and inevitably compressed; the marrow-freezing voice which seemed so far detached from Gaara's own; or the face that produced that voice. Gaara's face, no: indeed his entire body seemed split into two halves down the middle. The left side remained eyes closed: slumbering peacefully - blissfully unaware of the right's actions and appearance. And in contrast, sand had covered the right side and converted it into a vicious tanuki covered in black line markings: out of whose eye glared hateful glee and out of whose fang-adorned mouth came a singing, high pitched and erratic voice laden with an undertone of death and joy simultaneously. Naruto didn't know what to think: with only one massive leg and one massive arm, the demon could exert such force?! “You thought I could die? To die by a puny human! Oh, you're so fun, prey, but so stupid! Stupid just like that insolent child! Should I thank you? He fought so hard that his mind is bare of energy! It's mine for the taking and I'll never give it back! You've been so useful! So great!” Oh. This was different. Surely, the voice and power behind it was as chill-inducing as ever, but the words lit Naruto on such a rage of fire that the demon struggled to keep him pinned.
“BASTARD!” Naruto howled as red-hatred consumed him so completely that it became almost blinding. And despite his exhaustion, despite his already protesting ribcage, Naruto pressed his palms to the wall and engaged in a power-struggle with the tanuki. “What the hell do you know about it!? He really gave it his all! All to fight off his situation! All to change things and grasp the choices for his own future! Not minding whatever he had to suffer through, he fought on anyways! Damn you! Do you think you can put down such things in front of me?!” he growled. “I won't let a parasitic bastard like you talk about Gaara that way!”
If the sudden energy its quarry was exerting troubled Shukaku in any way, it failed to show it. “As expected! This prey is strong after all! I'll enjoy your death so much! I want to thank you again! But little, puny human, don't forget your place.
“What the hell are you saying. `Little human'… `Puny human'… You're barely half of Gaara's body now, you bastard!” This was partially true. While Shukaku's height was not much more than Gaara, its bulk was considerably more. “I don't give a #$&#+& how tough you think you are! A pompous piece of shit like you is simply going to lose just like that king-idiot-Kyuubi you call a God!”
Time froze
Shukaku's one golden eye distilled from the raw surprise that flooded its brain. “Kyuubi…sama?” the awe-filled tone was very out of place with that high pitched voice. “You…” the momentary shock of Shukaku had lasted a moment too short for Naruto to manage that last push that would give him room to escape. Rather, the boy was slammed back into the wall with a thrust fuelled by raw, fanatical hatred and it was a wonder that the wall - and the boy - did not break under the force. “How dare you speak of Kyuubi-sama in that way!” Gone was the singing undertone in the demon's voice, replaced with an enraged seriousness. That already twisted face twisted further in mocking contempt, but the eye burned with a purposeful hatred. Shukaku's whole body shook with terrible emotion, and the transformation from monster to religious extremist was complete. “SACRALIGE!” the thing cried “TREASON!
“Like… hell,” the boy spat with what breath he could gather, suspended above the ground and half-way to becoming paste, “those things imply that I… subscribed to your crappy God-King… to begin with!”
Silence, mortal!” Shukaku screeched. “What would you know about our great Kyuubi-sama?!”
Crack!
Despite himself, Naruto could not contain a scream of agony. That had been his rib. “Argh… ah… ah… H-Heh, I know…” Naruto grinned through the pain. Regardless of whether he was being crushed or not, he might as well piss off this thing if he couldn't kill it. “I know that he's a coward.”
“…” It pleased Naruto greatly to render the stupid tanuki demon speechless, but its face said it all. “Just die right away, scum.” Ah, for once it wasn't screaming. “You should say your repents to Kyuubi-sama before you enter his eternal grasp.
“What… last words?” Naruto gasped out. His earlier struggle with Shukaku hadn't freed him, perhaps. But when he had been crushed back into the wall, he had spared at least his right arm from getting pinned again. A savage grin graced his features. “Yeah, I have some last words for you…” In accordance with the pride of a Houou… and according to my own pride as well: with whatever strength remains in this body, I will fight right until the moment I die! “Come on: one-more-time-! God-Hand!
Naruto swung his fist around with as much manic force as he could manage. When the blow connected, it landed with a deafening thud - the likes of which dwarfed all other sounds of explosion from the course of this day. The power of the blow was likewise proportional in its magnificence and sand flew blindingly from the point of impact in a massive spray as the front of Shukaku's arm was literally blown to bits.
Shukaku, who was amazingly silent throughout having its arm blown apart, looked at the remnants of destruction as its suddenly pain-filled vision cleared. Compared to the tree-trunk mass of its arm before, merely a sliver of sand now connected its elbow to its arm. Its wrist had been almost completely annihilated.
As this scene sunk into the demon's mind, it finally let loose a blood-curdling scream - not of pain, but of horror.
Despite the fact that Shukaku was now in an incomplete form of a substitute form for its real body… a mere, infantile human who had already reached exhaustion almost destroyed its arm in a single blow. It went against everything that Shukaku had ever known and learnt. Such a thing was unthinkable and was - to put it in terms humans could understand - so freaky it was just plain wrong. “Y-You! Just what are you?!
Short of breath and energy, Naruto pointedly spat out “me? I'm a… goddamn Houou”. But even though he said this with bravado, there wasn't much to celebrate about. Damn he thought bitterly, sporting a look of anger even as unconsciousness pressed itself upon him. There is no comparison between his current situation and simple exhaustion. Chakra is the physical and mental energy of a person. In other words, it is the fuel of life. When one almost completely, stupidly, runs out of resources with which they can manage to mould chakra, it is proportional to having your blood drained until you're ready to die. Almost… went straight through… Thinking he'd get some kicks in before he snuffed it, Naruto muttered with contempt. “When kaa-chan finds you, she's gonna' kick your fat stupi - argh!”
That's enough” the demon rumbled. Whether a Houou was a special designation such as a Kage, or whether they were different beings from humans completely… one thing was clear. Kyuubi-sama would find some amusement with this world. “It's time to die, Houou
So intent on the boy before him, Shukaku did not notice the approaching attacker until it was too late.
“Ya!” with a hefty swing one could only pull off if one's opponent wasn't paying attention, or was an idiot, Temari slammed her gaint, closed fan onto Shukaku's arm in a downwards chop. The folded fan came crashing down with - compared to the powers that were thrown about inside this room previously - pitiful force. But it was enough to finish the severance of Shukaku's arm.
“Naruto-kun!” Temari caught her falling friend as Shukaku quickly leapt backwards - the severed hand now dissolved back into a formless pile of sand. Naruto immediately clutched his right shoulder even as he staggered.
“T-Temari-chan? What are you…” short of breath, and still in pain, Naruto's speech was littered with inconsistencies, “doing here?”
Temari hastily explained. “I felt Shukaku return, and I saw what happened t-through the holes in the wall.” She spoke faster, “A-Anyways, we have to escape now! It doesn't have proper control over both Gaara's feet, so we can-”
“I can't!” the boy shouted in return
“N-Naruto-kun! Come on! This is enough!” she demanded. Damnit, she'd put up with a lot so far, but she just couldn't take this anymore. “Look at yourself! What can you do right now?!”
That was very true. However… “Temari-chan, look closer.” Even as sand gathered to reform the stump Shukaku's right arm had turned into, sand was still continuing to seep over Gaara's body. The face was on its way to becoming completely demonic, and only the left arm and leg remained to be taken. “That thing's… trying to take him over” Naruto muttered quietly “And it will… never let him out once it does. It… must be stopped here”
“…” she wanted to protest. She wanted to say `screw it', hoist Naruto onto her back, and run for it. But those thoughts reeked of betrayal: she knew he'd never forgive her and he'd just crawl back here for sure. “Why… even now…” why do you still have to fight against this nightmare that makes my knees shake with that hateful expression, staring at us as if we're to be… executed?
“Temari-chan, just get out of here” the boy said not unkindly, wavering on his feet. Temari had never, ever seen her fellow blonde so… weak. And it unnerved her.
“Naruto-kun!”
“I'm fine…” the boy slumped to kneeling, coughing up blood. Unlike the usual times this happened to him, this time was simply due to having a few ribs broken and floating around free to poke at internal organs. As for Shukaku, that thing was calmly reconstructing its hand. But chakra lines for reconstruction were different than those of reinforcement. They were weaker: even Temari-chan had managed to break through the weaker sand. That thing wasn't moving because it was vulnerable as hell. But that was fine. Even if he had the strength left, Naruto had no desire try to kill it - and Gaara within - just yet. No, a silent stand-off suited him perfectly. “Temari-chan, just run away. You don't have… to be here at all.”
Flabbergasted, Temari stared at her almost stupidly brave friend. Thank you Naruto-kun! Actually, I'd really like to run away, thank you very much! You understand perfectly! “Good luck!” is what I'd like to say… The girl tried to smile, but managed only a grim and pained expression, clenching her teeth.
Gulping nervously, Temari nevertheless made her stand. “So friends are just left out of the picture?!” she demanded angrily.
“What?” was all the boy could whisper. And as it impacted the ground before his face and sent small chunks of floor around, Naruto became aware of just how heavy Temari's fan really was.
“That thing you said before: `I won't let my comrades die without a fight' or something. A motto in your family? I think it's stupid!” She took a deep breath and pointed a shaking, accusatory finger at Naruto. “It should be `I won't let my friends die without a fight!”
“…” Naruto looked up from his kneeling position, speechless. He knew very well how terrified Temari was of Gaara. Even if he hadn't seen her fear before - back on the rooftops - any fool could see it now. With her ashen pale face, her quavering voice, and her limbs that would not stop shivering in fear, it was fairly obvious. Temari-chan… heh. I guess you, also, have your share of guts. “It's your suggestion… that's stupid” he informed ruefully. “Something so obvious… can't be a motto” he smiled at her wanly. Thanks. “But there's one… condition” Naruto muttered as he scooted backwards.
For Temari, who was standing to Naruto's right, it was the first time she discovered that the boy had been doing something all this time. On the ground, in the line of sight that was previously blocked by his body, Temari saw that her friend had been writing a seal in his own blood. She felt a chill. “What… what is that?” small but intricate, a circle was written into the ground and was crammed with lines, curves, and kanji that she could not make out. It was messy and smeared in places - writing a seal in blood is never preferred - but the level was far beyond her.
“That… condition is…” Naruto, grunting, informed. “If you see me go crazy, then you have to run away - at full speed. Just run… as far as you can. Don't… you dare stop.” And so saying, Naruto painfully leaned forwards, pressing his forehead against the seal on the ground. Hearing a quick “w-what's that for?” he barely managed a two-word explanation of “emergency… key” before his body got fed up with him - pushing him into unconsciousness.
x-recap: chapter 2-x
“I don't understand it much, but It's a lock” Naruto re-iterated “it cuts Kyuubi out of the loop. And it seals off a quarter of my chakra to stay active all the time”
Naruto nodded. “Nee-chan picked out the day. She said making it work once every new moon would be more convenient. It's not bad, but I can't fight or train very well. I feel sick and… cough up blood a lot”
x-end recap-x
-
x-unconcious domain: the cage-x
There it is” the boy muttered. Before him stood a massive wall of intricate, incandescent, lines. They rose up from the floor and shrouded eaverything beyond.
Here goes, I'll shatter this lock seal in one punch!”
-
x-`real' world: 98th Roppou street-x
“S-So… this is what you l-look like” Temari spoke. Whatever the plan Naruto had in mind, she hadn't been informed of her role at all. Understandable - it seems he'd had something in mind before she'd even shown up. All he wanted to do was get free of Shukaku's grip, and she'd helped with that. S-So wait, wasn't her role over already? What the hell am I doing?! No. Even if wasn't part of the original plan, there should be something she could do as the only person conscious and on Naruto's side. What she could do was… “S-So Sh-Shukaku…san… shall we talk?” What I can do… is stall for time. Hurry up Naruto-kun.
Little girl” the serious, yet still high-pitched voice began. “I know you… you are… his sister” the word was hissed contemptuously. “That infidel must die, and I know how you fear me... Kill that fool! Kill that fool and you can live!”
For her part, Temari was shocked at the demon's proposal for her own reasons. This doesn't make any sense, her numb mind insisted. Was I wrong? Doesn't Shukaku… love to kill? Isn't this the monster that loves to hunt and kill its prey - the more interesting the better?! No, I can't be wrong! Why is it giving up on killing Naruto-kun? The realization was daunting. It's… it's… afraid…Despite holding every advantage, Shukaku is weary. It's worried that Naruto has something huge up his sleeve and hastily wants to end this fight before he gets a chance to attack again. I-I see. Temari's critical mind… even under stressful and terrified conditions, it is something to be respected. If it's just me, then I don't have a chance either at fighting, or stalling such a monster, but the trump card is… “Please, consider the situation S-Shukaku-san” my trump card is that I'm that unpredictable idiot's comrade. I'm his proxy here… In other words, I can speak on the behalf of that person which Shukaku is afraid of! Yes! If there's one area where I'm confident to stand over Naruto-kun, it has to be in sly mental games like chess! I'll fight with my words! This will be a battle of trickery!
“B-By now,” the girl hesitantly began, “y-you should understand that Naruto-kun is strong… I don't think there needs to be any proof from me about this…” oh god, she hoped this would at least sound like such believable bullshit that Shukaku would divert concentration from regenerating its arm to listen. “I r-realize that your true form is much greater than this… but in your current form, isn't this too much of a risk?” she tried, hard, not to plead. “Whether Naruto-kun's an infidel or an interesting prey… you can't do anything if you're dead right? A-And, whatever strength your true form has, it doesn't matter if you're dead before you can reach that, right?”
Shukaku hadn't been very sane, even before coming to the human world. But there had been a time, long ago, where some semblance of reason had inhabited it. Some part of that logic had remained intact - sealed or partitioned off - in the area reserved, reverently, in its mind for the top-priority matters concerning Kyuubi-sama. However, this was a fraction of a fraction after all. “That fool insulted Kyuubi-sama! He would oppose Kyuubi-sama!” Shukaku bellowed “What are you saying?!” it demanded. “A delay in his death? Impossible! My own life or death is not a problem! Your life or death is not a problem! If that scum can die right now… any price is fine” the enraged demon hissed.
-
x-unconcious domain-x
Shit, it won't break. No matter how much I punch this thing it won't budge! Damnit, the seal is really written well - my chakra is slammed into this wall too damn well to simply break it, no matter how hard I try! Another way… I need a new angle”
There was silence for a time; the boy needed a solution - fast.
But it is my chakra; this wall… is constructed from the energy that fuels my body and soul. If that's the case, even if it's locked into this form by a written seal, then… that's it!” here, the boy slammed his forehead against the surface, gritting his teeth. “Come on! You're my chakra aren't you? Do what I want you to do, damnit! If it's a matter of controlling chakra… I - won't - lose!” The boy tightened his eyes in concentration. “Any direction is okay. Just don't stay in that seal! Break out, come on, come on, come on! You stupid wall! Normally, I'm very grateful that you're here! I can reach levels of chakra control that are fantastic, and I can live life in a more normal circumstance! But damnit, right now I need you to go away, so… just… DISSAPEAR!” the last word, echoing throughout the area, signaled the end of Naruto's struggle, as the wall obediently cracked and then - the circuit being broken - the wall shattered into what looked like a hundred thousand pieces, and the massive sea of red energy beyond became visible.
No, in fact, this was the easy part. “Shit,” the boy swore, even as the sea of red looked to crush him, as if it were a tidal-wave, “this is going to hurt like hell.” However, it had been what he'd waited for, and so he charged head-first into it with a battle-cry.
-
x-`real' world: 98th Roppou street-x
An ear-piercing wail made itself known in the middle of the heavy atmosphere between the girl and the demon.
Temari's attention was immediately diverted. “Naruto-kun?” Her eyes widening, she screamed in shock “y-you're on fire!” Indeed, the back of Naruto's shirt and jacket had caught fire. Not wanting to expose him, she continued to hold the fan up while trying to out the fire - hastily kicking the inflammable blonde. She didn't realize the futility of her actions until… “h-his shirt's not on fire…” Temari whispered to herself, fearfully, “his back is”.
As the ashes of Naruto's once pristine top fell away, the intricate `tattoo' on his back became quite visible, as it was lined in a searing fire.
x-unconscious domain: the cage-x
As the red mist converged upon Naruto and he became lost in the sensation of having his body suddenly screwed with on an epic level, a voice pierced through his foggy mind as the pain immediately slowed to a fraction of itself.
So, the brave Jailor has come to visit again. How odd.”
What… the hell are you doing?”
Just what it seems, Jailor-san. I can't stop it all: I am ever under the power of that man's seal - but I can do this much at least. That blue wall of yours suddenly disappeared at once, unlike its usual, gradual vanishing act. Not expecting your human mind or body to sustain such a situation… I sought to regulate things. I expected gratitude.”
You're not… winning any favors, Kyuubi. I'd rather… it be the opposite.”
Intriguing. Then you wish to suffer more?”
You could say that. As much as possible”
Amazing. Then I take it that assistance would constitute a… `favor'?”
“…”
Well?”
“…Shit… You aren't even going to let it return to the normal flow, are you, you bastard?”
My question has yet to be answered. Would-it-constitute-a-`favor'?”
Naruto grit his teeth and glared for all he was worth, but Temari and Gaara were out there right now, and he simply didn't have time for this. He didn't have time for anything. Clamping his eyes shut, It was none the less a horrific effort to ground out “…Yes”
A low, foreboding chuckle greeted him. “Then, Jailor-san, we have an agreement.”
Urk! Krk! Ughhh…! A-AAAAAARGH!”
Such a fascinating child. Enjoy my power… `Jailor-san'”
AAAAAAAAA!”
I'll remind you to try to survive… a dead jailor can't repay his debts, after all.”
-
x-`real' world: 98th Roppou street-x
Naruto, who was screaming, unconscious, and on fire, was basically the only hope left for Temari. Naruto-kun… what are you doing?!
Enough talk!” Shukaku demanded. The puny human boy had held back up to a quarter of his true energy, and for what - Shukaku knew not. But that energy had simply disappeared and was now replaced by a new, strange feeling. A familiar feeling, but too miniscule to identify. Whatever it was, this, surely was the true desperation-technique being played. A strange human, with strange and powerful techniques… Shukaku did not want the last technique to be actualized. So, Shukaku, right arm reformed, charged at Temari with a battle-wail. “Diiieeeee!”
With impossible speed, Temari found a demon before her, its massive claw shattering through her fan with ease and appearing inches from her midsection.
Naruto-kun… she clearly thought in the space between seconds which all people are allotted before death …I'm sorry. Clenching her eyes shut in fear, she could only grunt as all wind was emptied from her lungs as she was hurled recklessly like a rag doll.
But she… did not die.
“Umph!” She was roughed up, but it was a wonder that was all.
Standing where she had been previously, Shukaku sneered at the far wall in front of it.
At the last moment… Naruto-kun pushed me to the side?! Then…! Temari, too, snapped her head to where Shukaku was sneering. There, through a hole in the wall and across the street, a pile of rubble covered Naruto's form, and only a singular leg could be seen protruding from the wreckage there, at an impossible and clearly broken angle.
“Naruto-kun!”
Shukaku did not even acknowledge Temari as she sprinted to her friend's side.
The boy had been sent flying through the wall of 98th Roppou street, and had then crashed into a small, one story, water storage unit. If he had not died from the impact or having the rubble crushing him, then he would shortly drown to death.
Reaching his side, Temrai quickly tried to check her friend's leg. “Ow!” He - He's burning up! In fascination, she watched the leg twitch uneasily before immediately snapping back to its proper angle - and with a sickening `pop' and a drawn out hissing sound, became completely healed.
Spluttering water all the while, Naruto slowly rose out of the wreckage. “Th-This battle…” the red eyed boy whispered, “has gone on way too long.”
Though he said this, he was crippled by a bloody coughing fit in the next moment. But Temari did not miss the way his voice seemed to bleed power.
Naruto didn't look forward to the limp back to 98th Roppou street, so he was actually grateful when Shukaku's powerful legs carried it before him in an instant. With relief, he noted that Gaara's left hand hadn't been taken yet. I can still get him back.
MORTAL!” the tanuki demanded, closing its fist around Naruto's upper arm. “You will answer me! What hav-”
No I won't” the blonde rebuffed steely. Taking a deep breath, he continued. “And who do you call `mortal'?”
Shukaku's eyes widened, its grip loosened, and that was enough.
With explosive strength, Naruto ripped Shukaku's arm from him and grabbed the demon's head in a fierce grip, bringing his slit-eyed stare inches from the tanuki's golden eyed expression of shock. “What's wrong, Shukaku?” the boy began, “don't tell me you can't sense it? Then I will… show it... to you.”
Gritting his teeth, Naruto drew more demonic power into himself, until the enduring pain he'd been putting up with became white-hot and crippling. In fact, he was now using his grip on Shukaku's head to steady himself, though the demon did not notice anything. Even when the red chakra now storming out of Naruto began to melt the sides of its sand-composed face into glass, Shukaku remained frozen. “K-Kyuubi… sama?”
Kneel”
Hearing the single word from Naruto, as if Shukaku were not a tanuki but actually a trained dog, it instantly and obediently followed the command. “Your… majesty…”
Watching the reverently bowed head, Naruto had now placed his hands on Shukaku's shoulders - he still needed to support his weight after all. Shukaku simply failed to care as it turned its face upwards again and was splattered with coughed up blood.
Panting, Naruto continued. “Loyal minion... you must be... confused..."
Shukaku, on it's part, didn't know what to think at all. But it could feel. And this one feeling, this one particular power could not lie; could never be faked. And could never be stolen. Some pitiful fools had tried, before, in the demon realm. In his amusement, Kyuubi-sama had allowed those rebels to trap some of his chakra inside themselves.
Under Kyuubi-sama's smallest flicker of intent, the chakra had killed the rebells in seconds - acting as the most brutal and powerful poison imaginable.
"About those things I said," Naruto bravely continued, gambling everything on his believability and the only power of Kyuubi's at his disposal - authority. "I…”
Temari - now hiding behind a building in an attempt to stay as out-of-the-way as possible - watched in equal awe and fear as her friend struggle briefly to come up with some believable bullshit.
I was merely testing your faith” Naruto said seriously. “Actions are the most important after all and… you have proven yourself.”
That's bullshit! Temari almost cried aloud. Naruto-kun, that's going too far! No one's going to believe such-
Really?!” Shukaku squealed.
Yes”
He believed it! She struggled valiantly to wrap her head around this.
Listen, Shukaku,” here he coughed some more blood which again went unnoticed. “Though I am like this... I am... not Kyuubi-sama, but... am in fact his right-hand man”
You…?” the demon asked in wonder
Yes. He has…” Naruto, still in his pain-fogged mind, struggled for what to say, “…blessed me with his power, as you can see. Be… happy, for Kyuubi-sama is pleased with your…” crap, what was the word? Damnit he needed to sound serious “…devotion”
If Shukaku had been happy before, it now looked ready to get up and skip around while clapping like a child.
Naruto made sure to keep the demon kneeling with a serious look. “Now... Do nothing, but stay quietly within your host - Gaara - and… await further orders.”
I see, Temari analyzed, he quickly ran out of believable things to say.
I will contact you again… on the next new moon”
Yes, your-highness!”
One more thing,” Naruto's grip tightened, and this time Shukaku -did- notice. “If you… dare to disobey, and cause death or… trouble… for your host…” Red eyes narrowed into slits “I'll kill you.” It was a promise.
But whether it was a part of the bluff, or a real promise from Naruto himself, even Temari couldn't tell.
Y-Yes, your-highness.”
Disappear”
With that simple order, Shukaku spoke a quick “Hai!” and in the next instant the sand composing its body fell apart, revealing the human inside.
As Naruto caught the falling boy, his own legs gave in and the two fell to the floor on Naruto's back. “That was…” Naruto let out a long, shaky breath, feeling much tension leave his body despite the enduring pain he was under, “…one hell of a thing. But finally, the stupid tanuki is down… for real, this time... kind of...”
…for now
“Naruto-kun…” Temari approached. “You… that… is you, right?”
Yeah,” the boy mumbled back. It was very awkward to hear that echoing, powerful voice speak in a tired tone.
Sorry…" and he did look it, as well, "I'll tell you about… this Kyuubi crap later… I promise that I'm still… `that idiot Naruto-kun'… though.”
“Ah... heh.." she didn't know why the chuckles started, but the raw relief she felt - knowing that the danger had, somehow, been passed - probably had something to do with it. "he ha ha ha... a-alright. As long as you tell me...”.
Sorry, but can you help… me and Gaara back home?”
“Sure.” Temari helped her friend up. “But…” she glanced uneasily at her brother. “I…”
Startled, Naruto snapped his head to look at her in the eye. “Even now… you're still afraid of him? You can't... even touch him?” seeing Temari silently and sadly turn her head away in response, he sighed with bitterness. “That's… a damn shame.”
“I… think so too"
"Hmm" the boy listened, somewhat understanding what his friend was trying to say. "Is that... so? Well, then... that's... not so bad at all"
This light-hearted response seemed not to be the type Temari was expecting. "Really?" she asked, practically incredulous.
"What, are you... suddenly stupid?! With this, then... as long as you can keep that... attitude... and gather up the guts to... stand by it, then..."the blonde demon-container smiled, "any other problems are... just annoyances."
"Heh," Temari scoffed softly to herself. "Is that so..."
This time, the immediate reply was to be expected.
"That's so."
-
-

-
-
-
Omake
It was three days after the Shukaku incident. Naruto - who's broken bones, burns, and even fatigue had been cured by Kyuubi's chakra - had already rested his mind and soul and was ready to go.
x-Sunagakure: Houou family residence (temporary)-x
“You want to go where?” Temari prompted
“To the seamstress's, so what!” Naruto replied indignantly. “Boys can want to go to the seamstress's, if they want to!”
“Not if the boy is you.” Temari insisted with a flat look. “What's going on?”
Cocking an eyebrow that said `what, you really can't tell what this is about?' Naruto explained “Look: if kaa-chan finds out I had a fight where my clothes were almost destroyed, my bones were broken, and my back was covered in second degree burns, what do you think will happen?”
“Er…”
“I'll tell you what'll happen!” Naruto shouted. “You can just forget about `Noogie of Instant Humiliation' or `Burning Noogie of 100 retributions', I'm going to have to fear for my life” the boy informed with such a straight face and even tone, that Temari was wondering if he was exaggerating or not. “Wait, she might really ban Ramen this time… No, I don't even want to think about it! But if it's kaa-chan then maybe she might even do it…”
“Er, be that as it may…”
Naruto, who was preoccupied with this horrified thought, failed to hear his friend. “What do you think?” he asked her seriously. “She wouldn't, right? I mean, punching me into the wall or noogies until my hair actually catches on fire… that's one thing, but Ramen bans are just too cruel, don't you think?”
Temari held up a hand as if to say `now just stop right there.' “Naruto-kun, I really can't make comments on your family, as it doesn't match with any normality at all” Temari informed. “Anyways, why is going to the seamstress's so important?”
“Haven't you been listening?!” he demanded. “We need to erase all evidence, or I'm in deep trouble” he pointed out. “My outfit was destroyed, so I have to go replace it!”
Temari blinked. “Don't you have… seven of those or something? Is it really urgent? And where are you even going to get the money! You said those things were made of `Crystal Silk' from Water-Country! Do you know how expensive that is over here?! One hundred thousand yen just for a metre of cloth!”
“Ah, oh well,” he fake-lamented, “don't worry about me,” he assured her, “if you don't want to come then you can just stay here alone with an unconscious Gaara, and a Shukaku that will probably be obedient and not try to take over Gaara's mind in his sleep and kill you very painfully.”
“Th-That's not exactly… I mean, don't get me wrong… the seamstress's sounds like fun. I love going to the seamstress's…”
Naruto blinked. “I was just teasing”
Temari sweatrdopped. “Well, even if you say that now…”
“Well, whatever” Naruto assented, rummaging under his bed for his frog-shaped money-pouch. “It's not like I know where the seamstress's would even be, much less prices and qualities and stuff. So it's good that you're coming” here he paused. “Hmm, also I've been thinking about getting you a present anyways.”
“W-What?” Noting that the boy had dropped such a conspicuous statement before leaving as if this was a perfectly natural thing to do, Temari chased after him. “Wait, you said `present'?! Hey, clarify that a little!”
-
x-later, Sakyuu residence-x
Temari sighed, holding the large brown paper-bag by it's handles as she stepped in the door. “I'm back”
“Oh,” Kankuro met her as she was removing her sandals. “Yo. So you're home now?”
“Just here for an hour,” she tiredly explained. “To check in with father, and then I'm leaving again.”
“And what's that?” Kankuro pointed at the offending object.
“This?” Temari hefted tiredly. “This is a present from Naruto-kun.”
That was quite interesting. “A present? What for?! What is it?!”
“It is,” Temari started seriously, “the most tacky, ugly, and absurd thing I've ever seen in my life.”
“I-Is that so…”
Inside the bag, incidentally, was a silken summer-kimono bought at an expensive and classy place that she'd only dreamt of entering before that day. However the terrible, terrible, catch was that it's pristine white base was embroidered with flowers, small animals, clouds and the such. However, what was uniquely distressing about this kimono… was that the animals were frogs and they, like the flowers, clouds, and such, were solid, vibrant orange. This was all wrought by a master's hand. But that master had evidently been thinking very strange thoughts during the creation of this piece. The seamstress of the place had been embarrassed and horrified that the kimono was even in public sight, and had apparently screwed up somewhere, putting it with the normal inventory. Of course, Naruto had fallen in love with it instantly and had even demanded a male kimono with the same theme. As for the particulars of this event… well, that was something for another time… perhaps.
“If it's so terrible…” Kankuro began, “why don't you just get rid of it?”
Here Temari looked truly sad and wistful. “Kankuro… have you ever gotten something from someone very close to you, and even though you hate it, you still feel like cherishing it anyways?”
There was a lengthly pause before. “No, I… haven't.”
“Me either” was the soft response as Temari kept her eyes locked on the bag in her hands. “Because for us there aren't such people to begin with. This,” the girl began while walking smoothly past her brother, “is my first one, so... I'm planning to hold on to it.”
Kankuro - who had been stunned by the frank way his sister had suddenly touched on a delicate and strange topic, and was now on the path to silent contemplation as to what had brought this on, and the meaningfulness of her words - snapped out of it and turned when she suddenly addressed him again.
“Oh, that's right,” she said, almost in afterthought, “I should really introduce you two” she gave him a pissed-off look. “Wash off that terrible make-up first.”
This elicited an immediate response. “Shut up! It's not bad for an amateur try - I'm still a novice!” Kankuro argued. And, realizing what he had failed to deny, he quickly added: “And another thing, It's not make-up!”
His sister revealed a thoroughly shocked expression. “I'm…” she slowly began, “… a little disturbed that you denied it being make-up secondly, and like it was an afterthought.” She apparently tried to firm her resolve and continued. “Anyways, it's none of my business, but that thing is ugly so get rid of it.” Looking a only a little ill, she continued. “If you want to, then you can tell him in words rather than makeup that you're-”
Horrified at being misread, Kankuro was swift with his interrupting denial. “I'm not like that! Seriously! Just listen!” he feverishly pleaded, “you see: there's not only `girl makeup' but `actor makeup'! Yes!” He declared passionately. “This is a common oversight! In fact, isn't it obvious that an actor's wardrobe is the job of a `makeup artist'?! But commonly, people still-”
But Temari had already left.
“I'm not.” Kankuro denied pitifully to the empty air. “Will someone please, at least listen to me…”

End.
My typo-checking person hasn't gone over this yet. I'll see if he can do it tomorrow.
A soliloquy is defined as: 1. a (usually long) dramatic speech intended to give the illusion of unspoken reflections. Or 2. a speech you make to yourself.
A second-degree burn is harsher than a light burn, but not at third-degree levels, which involves charring of the skin.
About the lag between the last chapter and this chapter... well, all I can say is: summer vacation is really wonderful.
It also was a very troublesome chapter to get out there, for some reason.
In the omake, I had actually planned to go into the scene at the seamstress's shop and wrote five hundred words or so. However, I was having trouble fitting the scene together, and it would have been a long thing in an omake that I suddenly realized was already getting long.
If you find a word you don't understand, please tell me in a review. I only had to explain two things this time, and that makes me feel as if I must have missed some things...
This time, my favorite line simply has to be: “Even though I said all that,” she knelt down slowly and hugged him tightly, “I won't allow you to say `so I'm a monster' even if I have to force you through some unknown method. So if you want believe that then,” she smiled, “you're going to have to punch me. You'll have to punch me forever.”
Oh, this was good too: “She wouldn't, right? I mean, punching me into the wall or noogies until my hair actually catches on fire… that's one thing, but Ramen bans are just too cruel, don't you think?”
Please Review