Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ TWIST OF FATE ❯ MISSIONS UP! ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER 4: TWIST OF FATE
HALLOOO….<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
It's been a terrible week…assignments.. tests and stuff…you know university life…
Wish that I was away on a deserted island right know with plenty of cash and Naruto mangas to read.
Now that would be my ultimate idea of a holiday….
 
Anyway…I now present you all with my fourth part of my fic: TWIST OF FATE: CHAPTER 4
 
 
 
CHAPTER 4: MISSIONS UP!
 
 
 
”Ohayo!”
 
“Ohayo yourself, Ryo” said Hinata gloomily. She never was perky in the morning. Thanks to her insomnia.
 
“My, my, aren't we cheerful today, ne?” Ryo kept baiting Hinata.
 
Himeko remained quiet and this did not escape Ryo's eyes. Focusing on Himeko now, “What? No insults today?” Ryo raised an eyebrow.
 
“ Fuck off,” was the reply.
 
Now that was weird. Himeko is quiet and Hinata is downright mean. Something is wrong somewhere. As Ryo was busy pondering on possible reasons for his teammates sudden behavioral change, the door to Hokage's office flew open.
 
“ You may come in now.” Exclaimed Shizune.
 
The three of them stepped silently into the Hokage's office and waited until the door was shut. Sasaki wasn't with them today as from what she had told them yesterday, she had a mission to complete. The mission was somewhere at Konoha's borders and Tsunade had asked for Sasaki's help for the Hokage feared that something serious would come up. Something serious as in the threats of a mad ninja named Orochimaru.
 
There at the desk, sat Tsunade among the mountains of scrolls and documents, apparently examining a report that had been submitted earlier that morning. Tsunade looked up from her table and raised an eyebrow. There was gloomy shadow looming over the three of them. Ryo recognized the look of puzzlement on Tsunade's face and merely shrugged while the two kunoichis remained as silent as before.
 
Putting the matter aside, Tsunade gave them her full attention. “Have a seat. This might take a while.” beckoned the Hokage. The three shinobis did as was told. Once all of them were seated, only then did the Hokage start their talk. “ You do remember about me saying that you will be given time to get used to Konoha while waiting for the jounin test, don't you?” when the three nodded, Tsunade continued, “ Well, I am afraid that you will have to carry out a mission for us.”
 
The three were silent for a while.
 
“ What choice do we have?” asked Hinata seriously.
 
“ Frankly, you would have to accept it since you are ninjas of Konoha, but I'll make exceptions for you for now if you refuse.” explained Tsunade. Again there was that long silence.
 
“What kind of mission is it?” It was Himeko now who spoke.
 
“An A- class mission.” Shizune answered Himeko's question.
 
“Well?” Tsunade asked whilst looking at the three young shinobis.
 
Ryo suddenly had a smirk on his face as he spoke, “ Well, Hokage- sama, a little mission won't hurt us, would it?”
 
Hinata and Himeko smiled slightly and nodded their heads to say that they too agree with Ryo.
 
Tsunade secretly sighed in relief seeing the smiles and determination in the three faces. It was bothering her endlessly the whole morning that there was no one else qualified for this mission, since most jounins had already went on other missions. Plus, these three were no ordinary ninjas. She had just found out from the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Royal Academy admins that Hinata, Himeko and Ryo were their top students there and had recently been promoted as Royal Military Captains. To be able to clinch those posts under the Royal Academy was not something that usually happened. Heck, even Kakashi might not be able to hold that position, thought Tsunade. Their reputations as ninjas alone were rather impressive and over the years, the three of them had earned a few names for themselves. Hinata Hyuga was known amongst the `Royals' (a name given to the students and ninjas that were under the Royal Academy) as White Falcon, Himeko Uchiha as the Red Lion and Ryosuke Kosunaga, the Black Panther. These three namesakes were quite famous in the ninja world lately, but not many, except the Royals of course, knew who those ninjas really were. Konoha was indeed honoured to have received such notable ninjas.
 
“In that case, from today onwards, you three will be known as Team 49: Secret Elite Ninja, under the tutelage of Kaioh Sasaki. Your duty is to assist other teams in dire need as well as to protect Konoha's peace.” Tsunade smiled at the three young ninjas.
 
**********
 
- Somewhere near the borders of Fire country-
 
 
“Sasaki- san!”
 
Hai.” replied Sasaki to a young jounin. She was currently posted at one of the watchtowers placed on the borders of fire country. A week after arriving to Konoha, Tsunade had sought out Sasaki's help. One of the platoon's ANBU captains had been admitted into hospital with severe injuries from a mysterious jutsu and a new captain was urgently needed. It didn't help matters more that most ANBU captains were occupied then. There were rumours of Orochimaru and his sound ninjas were about to attack Konoha spreading around and Tsunade didn't want to take any chances.
 
 
FLASHBACK
 
“Are you saying that Orochimaru is behind all these threats that Konoha has been having?”
 
“We're not certain as to yet if Orochimaru really is scheming another ambush but Konoha cannot afford to take any more chances. Not after what had happened the last four years.” Tsunade said while looking out of her office's window. Not only did we lost many shinobis in the battle, it also took a while before Konoha was back on its feet.”
 
Sasaki was quiet for a while as she pondered over a matter that had been bugging her and the Royal's for a while now.
 
“Hokage- sama,”
 
“Hai.” Tsunade turned to face the other woman.
 
Sasaki had her arm crossed in front of her chest as she exclaimed, “What are the possibilities that the Akatsukis are also behind these threats as well?”
 
The question shocked Tsunade a bit, as she nor Konoha's council had ever thought about that.
 
“Are you saying that…”
 
“Based on the description given, the jutsu is somewhat similar to the jutsu usually used by the Akatsuki's members and it does seem reasonable that the Akatsukis would be interested to take part is the ambush now that they see a chance at getting the nine- tailed fox demon. Though I cannot guarantee that they are totally involved, but the possibility is there.”
 
Tsunade absorbed this bit of information for a while. If the Akatsukis are really involved as Sasaki had just said, then matters are definitely worse and Konoha is definitely not yet ready for something as serious as that. At least not yet.
 
END OF FLASHBACK
 
 
 
“ Kaioh- san, one of the ANBU officers found a suspicious looking opening in the woods.” Reported the jounin.
 
“Any idea of what it might be?” Sasaki needed at least any bit of information right now. Even the slightest carelessness might cause an attack on Konoha.
 
“It looks like some sort of forbidden jutsu. It looked as if it had been burnt down.”
 
“I'll go down and have a look at it.” After informing an ANBU officer under her platoon, Sasaki sprinted to the opening. The nearer they got the more chakra she sensed. Black Widow. She muttered to herself.
 
The jounin officer suddenly stopped at pointed to her the opening. It was as he had explained earlier, it was burnt. There was a slight opening but it wasn't complete yet. The hole was black at the edges and smelled of burnt acid. Sasaki touched it with her fingers and inspected the black ashes on the ground right under the hole. She smelled and tasted it and immediately recognized it. Definitely Black Widow. Only deadlier.
 
“Akuma- san. Go inform the ANBU officers to keep alert. Close all gates at the other borders as well and tell everyone to be on guard. Our enemies are closer than we think.”
 
“Yes, Sasaki san.” Said the young ANBU and dashed towards the border's watchtowers.
 
Once the young jounin was out of sight, Sasaki spun around and faced a tree. Without bothering to look up, she spoke, “You do know that the Black Widow Jutsu won't work against me, don't you Orochimaru?”
 
Suddenly there was a handclap behind her. Orochimaru had jumped from the tree she had been facing and was now dangerously standing behind her. Negative chakra was strongly emitting from him but it did not faze her even a bit.
 
“Who said that the Black Widow Jutsu was to fight you. It was just a bait. A trick to lure you out here, so that I can end your life right here right now!” Orochimaru suddenly turned vicious, but Sasaki wasn't fazed the least by it. “The old hag Tsunade sure is lucky to have you here in Konoha just when I thought that I could easily take over Konoha this time.” Orochimaru added in a hiss.
 
Clearly, these two still had unfinished business of theirs. Sasaki merely looked straight into Orochimaru's eyes, silently challenging him to a duel. Every once in a while, her eyes would scan her surroundings and then return her gaze on him.
 
“I would advice your ninjas to retreat right now, if I were you. You know very well that I won't spare any of their lives.” warned Sasaki. She had sensed about nearly 50 ninjas hidden in that very area waiting to ambush on her. “You wouldn't want to lessen your military force now would you?”
 
Orochimaru gave out a creepy hissing laugh , “Never try fooling a Royal they say, and how true. You really are good. A pity you didn't join me the last time I invited you to be under my wings. But this time, you are wrong. These ninjas are some of my finest. Nothing you do can kill them. At least not all of them anyway.”
 
“You shouldn't underestimate me Orochimaru.” Having finished that sentence, she did a few hand seals as well chanting a few mantras. Chakra suddenly surrounded the area. “ Time to meet your doom.” drawled Sasaki.
 
Sasaki instantly went into a fury of numerous katas.
 
Ram, horse, mice, wind, fire, earth, demon, dog…
 
“HELL'S FURY!”
 
A layer of reddish black aura appeared emanated from Sasaki as it rapidly surrounded her forming a whirlwind like shield. The aura held a hint of bloody scent. The sky was suddenly darkened forming big scary clouds as lightning flashed and wind howled eerily. The forest suddenly looked like a place from hell.
 
In a sudden movement of her hand, Sasaki summoned the wind to spin around the area. Wind as invisible as air but as sharp as the tip of a blade slashed away at all the hidden sound ninjas, killing all of them in less than a minute. In a flash, the wind and lightning died and the ground was in its former appearance. The sky was bright again. It was as if the nightmare had suddenly gone away. However on the grounds, badly slashed bodies of ninjas were scattered. It looked as if a blood fest had just taken place minutes ago.
 
Realizing that he had lost that battle for then, Orochimaru quickly tried to escape. “Very impressive, Sasaki. Looks like I'll have to reassess your abilities. Until then.” And `poof', he was gone.
 
Sasaki just let him escape. She just stood there not saying anything nor moving. She had used too much chakra on that jutsu just now. It would be sheer stupidity to attack Orochimaru in that state of hers. Not wanting to think anymore, Sasaki tried to take a step only to realize that she hadn't any chakra left to even walk let alone stand. Slowly, she felt her body fall. Maybe sleeping doesn't sound so bad. Just as her body was about to hit the ground, someone had caught her.
 
***********
 
 
- Back at Konoha-
 
“ Ooh! Ohh! …That's the boy I was talking about. He is sooo dreamy~ (Sigh)”
“ Oh my gods! What a cutie he is…just look at those aqua eyes of his. I could just drown in his gaze. Haa~~I am soo gonna make him mine.”
“ Oh no you don't Katsumi. Keep your dirty hands of him. He is mine!”
“ He is not!”
“ Is too!”
“ Is not!”
 
Walking nearby the girls were Ryo, Hinata and Himeko. They had just come out of Tsunade- sama's office and were just in time to witness the little cat fight. Ryo watched the display without any feelings while Hinata and Himeko merely shock their heads at the scene. Three grown ups girls fighting and pulling each other's hair over their Ryo, was something that they could not comprehend.
 
“Really, Ryo. You have just arrived here and you are already causing trouble?” Himeko said from Ryo's right side.
 
Hinata, who was on Ryo's left side simply giggled at the scene in front of her. She just couldn't believe that many Konoha girls had actually thought Ryo as good looking.
 
“Looks like somebody is jealous of my popularity here.” sneered Ryo, which made Himeko, turned her head towards him with fire in her eyes. Out of the blue, she presented him with a hard knock on his skull, leaving a big lump on his head.
 
Hinata simply laughed at this scene. Here was a group of girls fighting over Ryo, while another fight was between Ryo and Himeko. She couldn't stop giggling at the absurdity of the situation that she practically had tears streaming down her cheeks.
 
Ryo who was by then sulking over his newly acquired welt on his head, saw Hinata laughing her heart out sulked more and pouted, “Well, at least someone here finds it funny.”
 
Hinata smiled apologetically at him. Here was a friend of hers that was hurt on the head, and she was laughing her heart out. “ Ahh…gomen. Come, let me see that lump.” she said as she tried to muffle her giggles. Hinata then took out a small container of medicinal cream from her pocket and beckoned Ryo to come closer so that she could examine the welt.
 
Ryo happily complied. Happy to be getting attention from Hinata, he got whinier. Himeko who was standing at the same spot, looked at Ryo disgustedly while tapping her foot onto the ground.
 
“Oooh, Hinata- chan…I think I'm gonna have a severe headache. Would you please rub that spot for me? It would at least make my head feel better.” whined Ryo.
 
Himeko finally snapped after hearing the words that came out of Ryo's mouth and stomping towards Hinata and grabbed the cream Hinata's hand.
 
“Oh, really. In that case let me rub that sore spot of yours, Ryo. After all, it was me who gave you this welt. Didn't I?” Himeko said dangerously as she roughly rubbed the cream into his head.
 
Ryo painfully screamed his lungs out at Himeko's harsh ministration and eventually managed to get away from her hold or more likely, torture with small tears in his eyes. Himeko simply huffed at him with her hands crossed in front of her heaving chest and Hinata standing behind her, with a worried look.
 
“Oh…oh, my dear head. Hinata, remind me next time to never let Himeko touch or treat my wounds.” Ryo said as he nursed his more bruised lump on his head.
 
Himeko had heard Ryo's exclamation and quickly felt her veins pop. Sensing dangerous chakra emitting from Himeko, Hinata quickly made a grab for both of Himeko's hand giving Ryo enough time to escape Himeko's wrath.
 
“YOU BETTER NOT LET ME CATCH YOU NEXT TIME, BASTARD!!” shouted an angry Himeko who was writhing in Hinata's hold. “I'll cut you into little snack bites and barbeque you and give it to the stray dogs to feast on. You hear me, RYOOO!!!!!!”
 
Hinata, with a sweat drop, slowly dragged the angry Uchiha away from the place, leaving the group of girls still fighting and pulling their hair over Ryo who had just run away. Life sure was a mess, she mentally thought as she kept on dragging the still furious and shouting teammate of hers.
 
****************************
 
TBC