Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ TWIST OF FATE ❯ LIFE GOES ON ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

TWIST OF FATE: CHAPTER 3
Bonjour!
I'm putting up my third chapter for 'Twist of Fate'...so..any flames and comments are welcomed...
Two Uchihas meet up and it is not Itachi and Sasuke..Neji also meets Hinata after all these years...
CHAPTER 3: LIFE GOES ON

“ HINA- CHAN!”
A pillow comes flying across the room and ends dead square on Himeko's face.
“Can't you just shut your pie- hole, Hime. I'm trying to get some sleep here,” Hinata groggily talks as she draws the blanket up to her head. Che, that girl is always annoying in the morning.
“ Hinata Hyuga! You better get that big ass of yours out of that bed right now!” Hime perfectly avoided a flying alarm clock this time.
“ One more comment about my butt, and I'll make your life hell.” Came the muffled threat from somewhere under the blanket.
“Geez, it's always like this in the morning,” muttered Himeko mentally, “ Oi, Hinata! Have you lost your mind or something? We are supposed to meet the Hokage at her office at nine sharp, idiot.” Well, at least that made Hinata shot out of her bed and straight into the bathroom.
A muffled voice drifted from the bathroom, “Why on earth didn't you wake me up, Hime! Now we're gonna be late and the Hokage is definitely skin us alive.”
“ Well, yeah whatever.” Hime said non- committedly, brushing the question aside. Just steps outside Hinata's bedroom, Himeko said, “Just to let you know, Sasaki Sensei went first. She said something about having important matters to finalize, something like that.”
Having finished dressing, Hinata went to the door (Himeko was already waiting at the door), “Unfinished matters? Darn, that reminds me some unfinished matters of my own.” muttered Hinata.
“Huh?”
“Uh..no..nothing..just a slip of the tongue.” Hinata hurriedly avoided further probing from Himeko. Stopping in their tracks, Hinata looked up, “Well, here we are, Hime.” Shit! We're 30 minutes late. Just peachy.
“ Cross you fingers and pray that we come out of this place in one piece.” Gulped Hinata.
“You make the Hokage sound like a real dragon, Hinata. She really can't be that bad, is she?” Himeko asked with a sweat tear (anime style) trickling down her forehead.
“Believe me, she IS that bad. Sometimes worse.” Hinata simply said as they took a step into the building.
- The Hokage's office-
Knock! Knock!
“Come in.”
“Good morning, Hokage- sama.” Himeko and Hinata stated in unison.
“Morning you two. Have a seat. You are just in time for the briefing.”
Taking a seat, Hinata did a quick glance across the big plain room. Scrolls lying about the room, a cup of tea, Sasaki sensei and Ryo. Wait, RYO made in time. Now that is BAD. Realizing that Hinata staring intently at him, he gave her a quick grin and then inverted his full attention towards what the Hokage was about to say. No need to give her a bad impression about him on their first encounter.
“ Ahem. Now that your full attention. First and foremost, I would like to welcome you back to Konoha. You too, Ryo. It's a pleasure to have you here.” Tsunade smiled gently at Ryo. He kind of reminded her of Naruto, Sasuke, Shikamaru, Kiba and a few shinobis all wrapped up in one person. She had an inkling that he isn't going to be easy to handle. Looking at the rest of the small crowd, she noticed that she had their full attention then. “Now, Hinata, Himeko and Ryo. I'll just be briefing about your positions here in Konoha. There will be some rearrangements, but nothing vast. Just for the papers that's all. Are you all okay with that?” The three nodded as acceptance. “Good. I understand that the three of you graduated The Academy (The Royal Academy Of Ninja) with the position of Special ANBU. Am I correct?” the three nod again. “However, back here in Konoha, you will have to reseat your jounin test. It's for the formalities, you see. In the meantime, you will still be ANBUs and will still be able to accept missions from the Royal Academy.” Then there was silence in the room. A thoughtful silence.
After some time, Hinata spoke, “This jounin test, when is it?”
“ About another two weeks. The next one will be six months after that. Of course you can choose which one you wish to partake in.” Tsunade explained. My, my, little Hinata has really grown up. Tsunade had realized that Hinata had lost her trademark stuttering and finger twiddling. She remarked it as a pleasant change in the girl. Fair enough, Hinata now appears more confident and alert as ever. Guess those four years of absence has done her good, though Tsunade.
“ Next two weeks it is then. No point in waiting longer, is there?” Hinata smirked. Himeko and Ryo smiled among themselves as a sign of agreement. There really was no need to prolong the matter. It was easier to get it over and done with.
“By the way, the jounin test is individual, so it isn't compulsory to need a group of three to be able eligible for it. You might meet some of your former classmates in this round. Most of them have yet to pass that test. Only a few such as Neji, Shikamaru, Sasuke and Shino have been promoted so far.” Tsunade added for Hinata's information.
“Heh, I guess that Naruto and Kiba are still chuunin, eh?” smiled Hinata as she remembered two of her friends.
“Alongside, a couple of girls. Ten Ten is the only girl to past the jounin test, and that was after three attempts to say.” said Tsunade.
“Well, it isn't a shocker to hear that only Ten Ten qualified for that promotion. The girls have always been to infatuated with Sasuke to notice their lack of skills,” shrugged Hinata. She understood well enough how crazy were Konohan girls after Sasuke.
“Back to the jounin test business, we've decided that we'll take it in another two weeks,” declared Hinata. “In the meantime, what do we have to do?”
“Good. Then, just fill in these forms and wait for the test. In the meantime, you will be free of any mission, as to get yourself used to living here in Konoha. Again, welcome to Konoha.” Tsunade said.
“Thank you Hokage- sama.” The four of them stood up, bowed and went out of the room.
Watching the door close behind them, Tsunade smiled. “A really unique group they are. Konoha will sure be in chaos for a while. Especially Ryo. The girls will sure be after him.”
-Somewhere on the streets of Konoha-
“ Well, at least we got out in one piece, eh, Hinata” Himeko nudged an elbow at Hinata.
Ryo was dumfounded but he decided to remain quiet anyway. Right now, what matters most to him is to get some decent food, anything as long as it isn't ramen. Damn, he really had had enough of that noodle to last him a lifetime. He was so intent on thinking about food that he didn't realize that Himeko was calling him. Pissed for having Himeko shouting at him, he instantly snapped back, “ Shut up, baka! It's enough that Naruto is giving me a hard time and now you too!”
Himeko looked slightly taken aback by Ryo's attitude towards her. Damn him. All she was trying to do was to ask if he fancied lunching with them and look where her good intentions ended. That was the second time she got scolded for nothing that day, and it seemed like too much for her. Turning into the opposite way, she decided to walk off.
“You guys go ahead and lunch. I have some things to look over.” With a wave of the hand, she walked off.
“ Hime- chan…” Hinata just stared at Himeko's retreating back.
“What's eating her? She knows that I didn't mean those things I said. Well, about Naruto, that was true, but her…I was joking. She is going to be okay, right? Right?” Ryo looked at Sasaki sensei and Hinata for an answer, but received none.
“I think it's best that we let her be alone for a while.” Sasaki sensei said in that quiet tone of hers. There was suddenly an awkward silence between them.
“HINATA! HINATA!” someone was shouting her name. Hinata's head jerked towards the direction of the shouting. A girl with two meatball- looking hairdo, was running, shouting and waving towards her. Suddenly, it crossed her mind of who that girl was.
“ Ten- Ten chan!” Hinata shouted in surprise back. Then a glimpse of someone in green spandex caught her attention. “ Lee- san!” . Hinata bowed to the man that she addressed as `Gai sensei' (dumbfounded, Ryo also bowed in respect to this weird looking jounin). Amidst all the hugging and excitement, Hinata saw someone. She lowered her voice to the lowest sound cord but her eyes didn't avert the fourth person's own eyes. Eyes that were similar to her.
“Neji- san.” She acknowledged.
Neji was busy figuring something in his mind that he didn't really realize Ten- Ten and Lee practically jumping and shouting. It wasn't until Ten Ten furiously tugged at his' shirtsleeve, that he realized that she was saying or more like squealing, to him about something. He lifted an eyebrow of his.
Ten Ten sighed at his response. Neji obviously didn't hear a single thing that she had been telling him. “ Neji, it's…”
“ Hinataaaaa- channnnn!” shouted Lee, cutting off what Ten Ten was about to say to Neji.
In that instance, Neji froze as he registered the name he heard Lee shout. It couldn't be. Hinata- sama. Here in Konoha? Ten Ten pointed at some direction, and Neji followed her finger. There, infront of him, a mere few metres away, stood Hinata. Hinata Hyuga, the Hyuga heiress that went missing four years ago. He saw Hinata smile at Ten Ten, Lee and Gai sensei in that fashion he new very well. Soft and affectionate. It suddenly dawned on him, that he was the only one on his team still rooted at the same spot. His teammates and sensei had already gone to welcome her back. Temporarily forgetting his shock, he slowly dragged himself towards the spot that she stood and looked at her. Nothing came out of his lips. At that moment, he saw Hinata raise her Hyuga eyes and meet his eyes. Eyes that were so much like his, but very different. He also heard her quiet acknowledgement.
“Neji- san” she said. She was so quiet that her voice was barely audible, but Neji heard her nevertheless. She hadn't change much, but the again maybe she had. She seemed bolder, less timid and her eyes no longer reflect fear but it was replace with something else. Something that he found hard to fathom. Her whit orbs reflected flame- pride, determination, strength but also pain, and sadness. This definitely not the same Hinata that he knew.
“ Hinata- sama” Neji replied.
Hinata shook her head. Even her hair was no longer short. It was long and it reached uo inches above her waist. “ No, Neji san. It's just Hinata now.”
Neji was quiet for moment. What does she mean? Hinata will always be `Hinata- sama' and not just `Hinata'. It seemed that Hinata understood his silence.
“You'll soon understand why,” she quietly said.
Lee suddenly realized that Gai sensei was acting weird. Gai sensei had his head down and tears were streaming. Neji, Lee, Ten Ten, Hinata and Ryo were stupefied. Only Sasaki refused to stare at the poor man Why, Gai sensei was practically shaking.
“Gai sensei…” Lee asked as he tried to comfort his teacher.
Gai suddenly held his head up high. Lee and the rest shrieked in surprise. Gai had stars in his eyes and he suddenly knelt in front of Sasaki sensei.
“Flame of youth has blessed today by meeting me with this beautiful specimen of nature. Will you become my woman?” Gai declared. Behind him, everybody fell to the ground yes, including the cool and indifferent Neji in shock at the sight of Gai sensei serenading Sasaki sensei.
Sasaki shut the book that she was reading, stuffed it into her pocket and simply said, “No.” without even looking at the man clad in green spandex infront of her. With that she walked away leaving a crushed Gai with tears of frustration suddenly falling.
“How cruel can the game of youth love be…”said a sad Gai as he watched the distant shadows of Sasaki sensei.
-At Ichiraku ramen stall-
“Ono san! One seafood ramen please,” grinned Naruto as he took a seat in his favourite stall. Behind him came Kakashi sensei, Sakura and Sasuke (yep. In this story, Sasuke returned to Konoha after killing off Orochimaru).
“Ohayo, Hatake san, Sakura- chan, Sasuke - san. The usuals I presume?” chirped Ayame cheerfully. Her questions received a nod from everyone. “Please have a seat. The ramen will take a while.” With that, she vanished into the kitchen.
While waiting for their ramen, Kakashi took out his beloved Icha Icha Paradise and continued reading, while Sakura was busy flirting with Sasuke, who paid no heed to her- or any female in Konoha for that matter. Naruto was busy jumping and dancing while waiting for his ramen, until he accidentally bumped into another customer. He didn't realize that someone had taken a seat beside him earlier. Naruto hastily begin to apologize only to receive a hard thump on the head from Sakura as she started to lecture him about sitting properly. Kakashi and Sasuke was busy ignoring the commotion. There were already used to Naruto's stupid antics and Sakura's wrath over him.
“Naruto, you baka. I told you before not to prance about. Now look at what you done.” With that Sakura and Naruto started to continuously apologize to the other customer. They expected a real blow from that person, but they weren't prepared for a big smile that came from her instead.
“Naruto isn't it?”
Naruto was dumbfounded not because she was beautiful but also because he had never seen her around Konoha before. “Aaa…yes it is.”
“So you really are Naruto, the ramen maniac as Ryo had said,” she slightly chuckled at Naruto's expression, which shifted from total confusion to excitedness as something dawned on him. Sakura just stood rooted there after having properly seen the girl's features. She was cute. Hell, she was very beautiful.
“You know Ryo!” Naruto started to shout in excitement, which received another giggle from the girl.
“As a matter of fact, I do know him. Too well I'm afraid. You see, he, I and two other people have just arrived at Konoha. Nice to meet you, Naruto, beamed the girl as she offered a handshake.
Naruto accepted the friendly gesture. Wait, he thought, Ryo did tell him about the rest of his team the night before. Based on Ryo's description this must be .one of his teammates. Long black hair that was tied into a ponytail, pale sort of fair skin and black depthless eyes. Yes, this must be her.
“ You must be crazy Hime that Ryo mentioned!” exclaimed Naruto excited only to suddenly freeze as sensed the girl suddenly emanate dangerous aura.
“Ryo called me what?” asked the girl dangerously. Naruto was practically shivering by then.
Somewhere beside Kakashi, Sasuke muttered “Che, baka!”
Sensing that Naruto was totally blameless, Himeko sighed and relaxed into her seat again. No use talking it out on this boy, she thought. She made a mental to destroy Ryo's Icha Icha collection some time later. Right now, she was going to fully enjoy the company and food. Ryo will be dealt later.
“ Sigh Sorry about that, Naruto. I shouldn't have taken it out on you. It was fully all that dobe Ryo's fault. Anyway, we've never properly introduced ourselves, have we?” Himeko winked at him.
Naruto brightened up at that.
“I'm Naruto as you might already know. Uzumaki Naruto. And I'm going to be the future hoka...” Naruto was immediately interrupted by Sakura.
“Hi, my name is Haruno Sakura. That man there is our sensei, Hatake Kakashi. You might want to be careful around him. His a real pervert.” Sakura warned Himeko only to be heard by a hurt Kakashi. Himeko only chuckled.
Sakura continued with the introductions, “And that person over there is sighs dreamily Sasuke. Uchiha Sasuke. Konoha's finest shinobi currently.” This comment was received with a small grunt from Sasuke. However, this small piece of information had caught Himeko's interest. She smirked to herself. Hmm, interesting.
“Well, I believe that it is my turn to introduce myself. I'm Himeko.” Keeping her eyes on the male Uchiha, she continued, “ Uchiha Himeko.”
Sasuke's eyes widened at this and abruptly turned his eyes to face her only to be met with another pair of fathomless black eyes. Her eyes had a slight smirk in them, as if she was expecting this reaction from him. They kept their eyes locked on each other for a while.
Sasuke's disbelieving. Himeko's amused with the turn of events.
Meanwhile, Naruto was still gaping at the piece of information, and Sakura was looking from Sasuke to Himeko repeatedly. This can't be happening, thought Sakura. Kakashi on the other hand looked expressionless, but inside, he thought, hmm, interesting.
The awkward silence was broken by the arrival of Himeko's ramen (she did arrive before Naruto after all) which was followed by Naruto's and the other's. Taking their own chopsticks, they silently dug into their ramen with thoughts going on in their heads.
HIMEKO: Well well. Things have turned more interesting. Another Uchiha.
NARUTO: Ramen..ramen..oh, I forgot. I have to restock my ramen at home. Himeko is soooo cute. Cuter than Sakura but equally scary. Brrr…
KAKASHI: Hehe…(he is actually reading Icha Icha Paradise). Two Uchihas here in Konoha…very interesting indeed…
SASUKE: This isn't happening. This really isn't happening. I thought 'him' and me were the only Uchihas left. She must be a fake. She must.
SAKURA: No! Another girl after my Sasuke….not possible…SASUKE KUNNNN…