Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Vulnerable ❯ Darkness and Inspiration ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Zaku and Sakua's fight continue. This chapter isn't as humorous as my normal ones, but it's getting dark for the moment. I've decided to darken this up a little to show people a serious side of their relationship. This is moving a lot faster then my other fanfics!
 
 
X.i.X.
 
Vulnerable
 
Chapter 4: Darkness and Inspiration
 
By: Melissa Norvell
 
X.i.X.
 
 
“Let go...Damn it!” Zaku's voice quaked as the tug of war between the two commenced.
 
“You're being childish.” Sakura argued.
 
“No, you are.”
 
“Give it up!” The pink haired kunoichi yelled in response as she pulled back on the book, leaning her body closer to Zaku's. The black haired ninja reached his other hand up to assist the one tugging on the book, but it was soon cut off from it's destination by a slender feminine one, clasping his wrist.
 
“Huh?” Dark eyes widened. “Why are you so hell-bent on this?”
 
“I want to know what the big secret is.”
 
“Why do you care?” He asked.
 
“I don't.”
 
The Sound Nin's hand began to slip. He let out an intake of breath as Sakura smiled a sly smile. She jerked the book out of his hand. The Sound Nin fell forward onto the table, doing a belly flop and clearing everything on the table. The room was still, except for the spray of water on the floor.
 
The Sound Nin lie still on the table, body motionless and doll like as cascades of dark spikes tumbled over the table's edge, like knives threatening to stab the floor below. Sakura sat back, holding the book in one hand and Zaku's wrist in the other.
 
She flipped open the book once more, when suddenly both her wrists were being held. Viridian eyes widened. Zaku was on his knees in front of her, hands holding her wrists tightly, the boy looked at her, eyes full of dismay, showing the instability and inner torture of his being, the color sloshing around in pools.
 
“Please…” A barely audible voice was emitted from the opposing ninja's mouth. “Don't read it…”
 
`Is he…begging me?' Sakura thought as she looked into the Sound Ninja's serious face.
 
She couldn't bear to hide it from him. The girl closed her eyes in defeat. “I already have.”
 
A small intake of breath was heard.
 
“I read it while you were out.” She admitted. “You just left it lying on the table for the world to see, and I was bored, so I read it. You shouldn't have just left it laying arou-“ She was cut off be choking noises.
 
It was Zaku.
 
`Is he…crying?' Sakura thought. “Look I-“
 
Her eyebrows furrowed. The girl sat the book at her side.
 
`Why do I care so much about him now? I have enough information to threaten to ruin his name even further and get myself out of this predicament, but there's got to be more to him then that. Just what is he hiding? What else is there? It may be beneficial to hear it from him, rather then just read that book.'
 
She drew herself closer to Zaku. `What am I doing? I hate him!'
 
The girl ran a hand through his black locks.
 
“Back off.” Zaku mumbled in a warning tone.
 
“Look, it's no big deal. It was just a book…” Sakura told him, her voice held a slight twinge of concern.
 
“I said don't touch me!” He took a hand from his face and drew it back, as it went flying forward, about to make contact with Sakura's face in an authoritive slap, but it was caught by a feminine arm, and a slap was delivered to him. His head went sailing sideways and his body shooting to the side with a jolt. A few hidden tears managed to surface themselves, floating through the air.
 
His face lit up in surprise.
 
Someone had slapped him back. Someone dared to lay a hand on him.
 
“I'm not some weak ninja! You can't slap me around like you do them.” She put her hands on either of his shoulders. “Don't resort to that! It's being weak!”
 
Zaku sat there, looking defensive, malice hidden behind dark eyes. Though his malice looked more of a defensive and decrepit look.
 
“I am weak…” A whisper came from male lips, as his head was hung. “Now that you've read that book, you know it too. Aren't you going to humiliate me? I know people like you want to take it away…To take until there's nothing left.”
 
“I don't need to make you look bad, you're doing a good job of that on your own.” Sakura said simply. “Always overdramatic, huh? I only read the first couple of pages…”
 
“…”
 
“Just because that stuff happened to you when you were little doesn't mean you're totally insignificant.”
 
Zaku's head snapped up, and dark orbs burnt into green. Many emotions that he has learned to tune out in the past resurfaced. Had someone besides Orochimaru just complimented him? Had she just told him that he was worth something?
 
“Everyone has a weakness, though they don't like to admit it…Even me…” A slight sadness clung to her viridian orbs. Had she just told him that he was no different then her? Her eyes widened at that realization.
 
`Why am I being so nice to him? Look at him! He's pathetic!...And yet…He reminds me of myself…He's been through hell and back, with hell winning. True, I don't like him. But does that mean that I don't like myself? Is all I truly hate him for is his attitude?...Or could it be that he's everything I fear of becoming…'
 
“Why aren't you making fun of me?” He asked confusion and anger illuminating in his eyes. Then his eyes widened as slender hands ran down his arms, slowly and gently. He looked into her eyes.
 
`What's she doing?' The Sound Nin thought to himself as her head drew nearer to his face. `Why isn't she taking the opportunity to put my name to shame, as she usually would? She knows my secrets, even if it is a couple of pages…So why?
 
Here I am, at the pit of my despair, looking more pathetic then ever and she doesn't even put me down once!
 
Is she trying to…Comfort me? I should smack the hell out of myself for thinking such a ludicrous thing!...Did she just admit she was weak?' A mystified look crossed his face.
 
“What's that look for?” Sakura asked. “Did you finally process what I said?”
 
“Did you?” A finger was put to his lips. He jolted at the contact.
 
The hand that was on his lips moved to his shoulder, then he could feel himself falling. He soon landed on the floor with a straight view of the ceiling.
 
He turned his head to see the pink haired girl's face twisted into a serious look. Her lips parted to speak, but that hole closed itself once more.
 
`I'm weak too.' Sakura's words went through his head.
 
The two stared into each other's eyes. Zaku's shone with pain, sorrow and anger. They shone like onyx in the dim lighting of the room, tears remained hidden within the confines of his eyes, their host refusing to let them fall.
 
The kunoichi seemed transfixed on his eyes, which seemed to look at you from a far even when he wasn't truly looking at you. Her eyes were calm, peaceful and full of understanding.
 
`Why don't I feel any animosity towards this girl? Why do I feel like…She understands me?' He thought.
 
`Why do I feel like…We share the same pain…Actually, I've felt that for a while. It's been that way ever since I've known you. That constant pain you feel…I've made myself stronger because of you. I didn't want to be like you…You're my reason not to let myself fall.' Sakura thought.
 
They lay there as one, the girl's arm over Zaku's chest, holding on to his shoulder. Her other hand still gripping his wrist, she gave it a tender compress, which perplexed Zaku even more.
 
TBC
 
Preview for chapter 5: Vulnerable
 
A long night ahead, thoughts racing through his head. Will Zaku finally be able to rest easy?
 
A/N: Man, I hope that wasn't OOC >< I'm trying really hard here. I didn't want to do anything wrong, but I did want to convey Zaku's character as a deeper one who is actually capable of human emotions. I wanted to give him the depth that the series didn't provide for him. Personally I think he's a very tormented and pained character (what pawns of Orochimaru aren't?) There are a lot of tragic characters in Naruto, and I think Zaku is one of them.
 
I think he'd be upset having someone know that he was once a weak thief instead of a strong shinobi.
 
Please R&R and tell me what you think!