Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Vulnerable ❯ Vulnerable ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Here is another chapter, it's a dialogue chapter. Sakura and Zaku are discussing things. Ther are many thing to come and the two of them will soon show similarities and I hope to convince people that they are not such an out there couple.
 
 
X.i.X.
 
Vulnerable
 
Chapter 5: Vulnerable
 
By: Melissa Norvell
 
X.i.X
 
 
“Why are you doing this?” Zaku asked, looking at the ceiling.
 
“Is it what I'm doing, or what I'm not that confuses you?”
 
“Both.” He replied as his view of the wonderful spot on the ceiling was distorted by a flower. The flower was black, each part of it accented with the water that had spilt from the vase when he cleared that table.
 
His head shifted to her, his morose eyes looked at her. “Don't you hate me?”
 
Sakura, who was now lying on her side, propped herself up with one elbow, closed her eyes and smiled. “Maybe.”
 
“What did you mean, when you said you were weak?” He asked.
 
The girl bit her bottom lip at the vocalization. Her gaze went to the ground. “We're not so different…” Her barely perceptible voice came, as if she didn't even want to tell him, but figured she owed him for looking in his book.
 
There was silence before she spoke again.
 
“We feel a lot of the same things. We just deal with them differently.” She looked back to his bandaged hand. “What's really behind that cut? Are you one of those masochists?”
 
“I made a miscal-“ Zaku began, but was cut off by Sakura's firm voice.
 
“Miscalculation? Tell the truth!”
 
He shut his eyes. “Long story.”
 
“I have time.”
 
“It's temporary relief from the pain.” Zaku still felt defensive, but it was beginning to wear down. He had figured that since she already knew, he wouldn't have much to hide. He lifted his hand with the crimson cloth around it. The cloth unwound itself from his hand to reveal the cut on his palm. He turned around.
 
“So, that's it huh?” She picked out a lone glass shard that was dangerously close to his air hole. “The broken mirror in your book…”
 
“I wasn't in my right mind at the time.” Zaku replied, but then his thoughts berated him. `Why am I telling her this?'
 
“When are you?” Sakura asked. “In my personal opinion, you're psychotic. Anyone can tell by that anger which drives you insane and causes you to become reckless. You cloud your senses with anger, and that's how you lose.”
 
The Sound Nin let out a low growl. He knew in his heart that she was correct, even if he wasn't ready to admit it to himself.
 
“Why are you being so defensive?” She asked. “What? Do you not want to tell me because I read your book?”
 
“…”
 
“Still being stubborn.”
 
“I could say the same thing about you.”
 
“Huh?
 
“I saw you around this town, walking the streets, always trying to get that Sasuke guy to fall in love with you. You keep thinking that you can actually change his mind. You think it's like some kind of miracle, but-“
 
“I don't believe in miracles.” They both said in unison.
 
“What?” Zaku looked astonished.
 
`What did he just say to me?' Sakura thought.
 
“I'm not going to prove you wrong on this one. I might have contradicted things you've said to me before in the past, but I agree with you here. If there was such a thing, I would have found it a long time ago.” She said.
 
`He doesn't want to prove me wrong, like everyone else?'
 
`Damn it,' Zaku cursed himself. `Why do I feel so vulnerable to her? I know I should have put up that book after I had finished writing in it, but I was careless, and I expected her not to care enough to read it. Nothing seems to go my way…So why do I always expect it to?'
 
“You agree?” She looked surprised.
 
“What? Did you think that I'd believe in something so stupid? What miracles? Why should I believe in something that never happens? No miracles…Only an eternal hell…”
 
“So that's why you gave up…You lost all belief. Not that I really have anything to believe in either.”
 
There was a long silence as Sakura flipped onto her back, staring at the ceiling with Zaku.
 
“So,” She finally spoke up. “What's so interesting on the ceiling?”
 
“…” Was the only thing she heard. Sakura turned her head to look at the Sound Nin. He looked angry and defeated. A deep set frown plastered to his face, his eyes betrayed his outer emotions, shining with sadness. “Are you happy now? Now that you know what's really wrong with me?”
 
“You act like it's the end of the world. I already told you that I'm not going to say anything about your stupid book.”
 
“I don't trust you.”
 
“Look…Whatever.” The pink haired kunoichi said in frustration. “Do what you want.”
 
“…” Was her reply as he closed his eyes.
 
TBC
 
Preview for chapter 6: To Awake in an Infinite Dream
 
Sakura makes an odd request that shakes more then Zaku's nerves.
 
A/N: I know, I'm mean.
 
I'm glad that so many people like this fanfic though. This is actually the first ZakuSaku fanfic in existence. You think I should make another one? I've thinking on it, I was just wanting to know who would actually read it.