Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Wake Me Up Inside ❯ Fated Dreams ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Wake Me Up Inside - Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I don't own anyone but Kit.

***************

She was in a world of feathers… Feathers around her, feathers beside her, surrounding her. But they didn't seem threatening like she thought they would, they seemed comforting. She was floating, and the feathers were holding her up. But through the light, a woman appeared, who looked almost identical to her, although older. Her eyes were shaded by her blue-black bangs, and that scared her. But it was better when the woman started to sing. It was a gentle song, although the voice seemed lonely, sad. The woman walked closer and closer to her, and the woman reached a hand out towards her hand…

*****

Kit bolted straight upwards in her bed, breathing heavily. `What the hell was that?' She swallowed, a feeble attempt to calm her ragged breathing. She rolled out of her bed, and turned on her beside light, still breathing hard. A soft glow lit up the room, casting shadows on one half. She ran a hand through her blue-black hair and discovered it was sweaty. `I'm not sick, am I?' Kit pushed open her door, careful not to wake her aunt up. Ever since her parents had disappeared, her aunt had come to stay with her. Her aunt often had mood swings, and highly favored her older sister. She was usually the odd one out, having to take care of herself.

She walked into the bathroom, not bothering to turn on the light, and took a swig of water. Kit peered into the mirror, and studied her face. It looked exactly like the woman in the dream, pale, with dark green eyes surrounded by long blue-black hair. An image flashed in the mirror, an image she remembered from somewhere but at the time it slipped her mind. It was of a small pond, surrounded by two baby trees, and various types of large trees. She shook her head. `I have got to stop staying up until midnight.' Kit slipped back into her room, turned off the light, and in a few minutes her breathing slowed. This time she slept without dreaming.

*****

The next morning, all memories of the dream had been erased, and a new day was ahead. Kit pulled open her blinds, and stretched, yawning. She got changed into her school uniform, a red skirt with a white blouse and red tie. She hated that uniform. Kit had knobby knees, and the uniform did nothing to help cover them. `Whoever invented these uniforms… Dammit! If they were here now I'd-` She shook her head and grabbed her black backpack. Empty threats would do nothing if the person wasn't right in front of her. Kit walked into the hallway of the second story and glanced down the hall, into her aunt's bedroom. `Still sleeping? How long does that lady sleep for?' Kit shook her head and headed downstairs, grabbing her book, On the Wings of An Angel, as she dropped her bag on the floor. She began to read.

*****

The angel's wings glinted in the sun as she climbed higher and higher, away from the knives that were thrown at her. She looked down with worries dark green eyes, and tried to fly higher. But it was no use. The knives and throwing stars kept coming at her, like there was no end. The angel's mother started to fly up to her, calling for her to fly higher, but she was stopped by a knife at her throat. The angel flew higher and higher, and finally saw a crack in the clouds.

"Fly higher Kitty! Fly higher!"her mother shouted.(`Kitty? That's sort of the same name as me! Cool!' Kit thought, going back to her book.)

Kitty flew up, outstretching her wingsfarther, but she didn't get far before a knife pierced the delicate feathers on her wings. She winced, but managed to regain her balance. The hole in the clouds wasclosing rapidly. The angel was stuck between attempting to save her mother and flying to her freedom. Someone would die either way. She looked at the cloud, and glanced back to her mother, and flew towards -

*****

"Hey, Kit! Make me breakfast!" her cousin Mika said, coming down the stairs.

Kit rolled her eyes. Her sister and aunt liked to order her around in her house, none the less, and they usually got their way because her aunt was her legal guardian. Although she seemed kind, she knew little to nothing about childcare and never paid attention to Kit or Mika, so Mika would order Kit around.

"Make it yourself. I still have to make mine."

"Make my breakfast now or I'll scream!" Mika threatened, her voice rising.

Kit flinched. That was one thing you never wanted to make Mika do. Scream. If Mika screamed, not only would everyone's eardrum pop, her aunt would wake up, and that was even worse than having Mika scream. Her aunt loved nothing more than sleeping in her room, and would most definitely kill anyone who woke her up. Of course, Mika would blame it on Kit, and Kit would get in trouble.

"Fine." Kit gave in, grabbing the bread bag from the cupboard. She slapped a couple of pieces together of bread, and spread some peanut butter on it, and handed it to Mika. "Here."

Mika studied the bread. "It's not good enough."

"Make your own then!" Kit yelled, her temper flaring.

She rubbed her temples. It wasn't even school yet and already she was mad. Kit sighed and set to work to make a proper sandwich for Mika. After all, she didn't really try for the last one. Her book could wait, although she really wanted to finish it.

*****

After school, Kit walked home reading her book. Her back really hurt, so instead of going downstairs to watch TV and do homework, she walked upstairs and plopped on her bed. Only when she started to doze off she suddenly shot up. There was a feather. On her bed. She looked at it, and was extremely surprised to find it was a feather exactly like the book had described the angel's wings. She absentmindedly rubbed her aching back and studied the feather. It looked like a swan, although she lived in the middle of downtown Tokyo, so she doubted there would be any swans living there. She walked into Mika's room, and showed her the feather.

"Did you put this on my bed?" Kit asked.

"No." Mika said, going back to her computer.

Kit walked back out of her cousin's room, puzzled. Why would there be a feather of all things, on her bed? Maybe her aunt had saw the boom she was reading and left it there for a joke. No. She never updated her aunt on anything she did, because she rarely saw her. Kit put it on her bedside table and rolled over, ignoring the pain in her back, and although she did not mean to, her breathing evened and her muscles relaxed, and she slept.

***************

AN: I am so proud of this chapter! ^___^ It's one of the best I've written so far. ^__^;; Even though I have two pairings in mind, I'm not going to tell you. ^__^;; I have sort of put my other Naruto fic, The Pain of Love on hiatus because I'm drawing a blank. But, if you have any ideas for it, like events that should happen, send it in! ^_^ Please review!!