Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Wake Me Up Inside ❯ Where Do I Belong? ( Chapter 20 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Wake Me Up Inside - Chapter 18

Disclaimer: I don't own anyone but Kit.

***************

Kit woke up the next morning well rested. The first thing she noticed was that a large blanket was covering her whole body, and she knew she didn't put it there. She got up and yawned, despite the fact that she felt wide-awake.

She rolled off the couch, and, folding the blanket and replacing it on the couch, wandered off to find Itachi. Well, she knew where he was, but she guessed that she wasn't allowed in there. His bedroom. Kit quickly got into some new clothes; she found a black and red yukata lying over the edge of the chair.

Kit's stomach rumbled, and she giggled. `I guess I have to make breakfast.' She wandered into the kitchen and started searching for food. Kit managed to find a bowl and instant ramen, so she started making that. Soon she had it ready, so she made two bowls and set them on the table along with some chopsticks.

"You made this?" a voice came from behind her.

Kit whirled around, and she saw Itachi, still fully dressed like he always was, leaning against the doorframe of his bedroom. "I was hungry. Is this okay? I couldn't find anything else, so.."

"I don't usually eat." Itachi replied.

"Oh." Kit said, sitting down.

Itachi followed her, sitting down across from her. Two `itadakimasu's were softly spoken, and the two teenagers dug into their food. They ate wordlessly, the awkward silence between them making Kit feel uncomfortable. After they were done, Kit stood up and brought their dishes back to the kitchen.

It was only that when she came back did she notice that Itachi's arms were bloody. `Why didn't I notice that earlier?' Kit walked over to Itachi and picked up one of his arms, inspecting it. She poked here and there, but didn't get a reaction out of him.

"What are you doing?" Itachi asked.

Kit lifted his arm up and he winced. "Your arms are bleeding. I'll be right back."

Itachi's expression didn't change, but Kit scrambled off to get some bandages anyway. She had found some yesterday when she was cleaning. Soon she came back. "I need you to take off your shirt." she said, and immediately blushed at what she had just said.

Itachi smirked and did what she said. Many other cuts covered his chest, mostly scars. Kit noticed some on his back as well. "Do you have somewhere where I can sit behind you to put the bandages on?"

Itachi stood up and walked towards his bedroom, and Kit followed, assuming she was allowed. It was simple, just a bed and a small closet next to the door. Kit sat down on the bed and motioned for Itachi to sit in front of her. He sat down awkwardly, and Kit kneeled behind him, placing the bandages beside her.

She covered his back with the bandages, and then wrapped a bandage around his stomach to cover the large gash in his stomach. As she pulled her hands back, they brushed over his shoulders and she noticed how tense he was.

"Why are you so tense?" she asked, squeezing his shoulders.

"No reason."

Kit started to massage his shoulders. Itachi bit back a groan at how good she was. Although he would never admit it to her, he had been so tense from worrying about his brother. Yes, his brother. His pathetic little brother, who he could overpower in an instant.

Or - at least he could before. Sasuke was growing stronger, and even Itachi was now afraid. Of course, he still had the Tsukinomi.. The illusion world. His favorite weapon. But even he couldn't use it for long, it was too powerful.

Kit.

He had used her before, but now he was reluctant to use her against his brother again. Because he loved her. He was becoming pathetic. And that was why his brother could kill him now. `She is the reason I'm so weak.. But strangely, I can't get rid of her..' He smiled uncharacteristically to himself. He didn't want to get rid of Kit. Kit took her hands off Itachi's shoulders, and he jerked back to reality.

"Are you okay?" she asked. "You seemed to be zoning out or something.."

Itachi stood up. "I'm fine," he said slowly.

"Okay.. Where are you going now?"

"I have another mission."

"But you just got back from one." Kit said.

"I have a job.." Itachi trailed off and slipped his shirt back on.

Kit didn't say anything. Itachi took one last glance at her and grabbed his cloak off the side of the bed, slipping it on. Wordlessly he slipped out the door. Kit gathered the bandages and medicine together and followed him out the door.

She heard the door shut and sighed. `Why does he have so many missions to go on? I guess it's because he's an assassin.. Sort of..' She smiled. `I still don't know why I like him..' To tell the truth, she honestly didn't. He was a murderer, an assassin, and closed off. Still, she felt drawn to him like a moth to a flame. Kit set to work cleaning up the breakfast dishes.

*****

Sasuke sat on the porch of the hut. He was thinking about what Naoru had told him. Ever since that day.. `Tell me then. What do you plan to do after you kill Itachi?' Her words still rang in his head. Sasuke sat there, and then it came to him. It all clicked together.

Orochimaru's fear of Itachi, Itachi's sad eyes when he had killed their clan - it was Orochimaru. But Orochimaru was dead, so there was no finding out. Sasuke stood up, and ran towards the place that he knew Itachi would be.

*****

Itachi came home again, if you could call that place home. he had no choice, really. But he knew that he had to belong somewhere. Everyone had a place. That was their purpose in life, he belived. to find where they truly belonged in the world. `A man cannot be happy unless he knows where he belongs..' His father's voice still rang in his head.

He had killed them all.

Of course, he hadn't really meant to kill them. He was forced to, in a way. To join Akatsuki he would have to prove himself to Orochimaru. That was when he had been weaker than that bastard. Orochimaru controlled him. But ever since the death of the 3rd Hokage, and his arms rendered useless. He was so deep in thought he didn't notice a figure dropping down behind him.

"Itachi."

Itachi smiled grimly, that bitter tone imformed him exactly who it was. "Little brother." he sneered back, turning around.

***************

AN: Damn I'm good! ^-^ Nothing to say, really, but please review! ^-^