Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Weapons of Old and New ❯ Nineteen ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Weapons of Old and New
Or, Not Another Super Naruto Story
(Really. It's Not.)
By Andrew J. Talon
Disclaimer: Oh, yeah. I SO own Naruto. That's why I have to bust my ass working at minimum wage to pay for college. Psh. Sure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
“You can come out now,” Tsunade stated flatly as she reshuffled papers on her desk. The window still swung slightly from Naruto's departure. Jiraiya swung in, smirking knowingly at the blonde.
 
“Ah, glad to know that that jutsu still conceals me from Naruto.” Jiraiya shook his head as Tsunade rolled her eyes.
 
“He can't right now, but with that training of his… You do know who it was, right?” Jiraiya nodded with an expression between pride and irritation. Tsunade had to admit it was rather endearing on his wrinkled face.
 
“Tusume Andoryuu. Section Six.” Jiraiya frowned, as did Tsunade.
 
“I take it Danzo recruited him?” Tsunade nodded in response.
 
“Did you purposely leave him in that town to train with him? Surely you knew Tusume had retired there… His family estate.” Jiraiya chuckled.
 
“I'm sure you're aware that you're talking about a Zero, and in particular Nighthawk. He lacked our raw power, but there's no doubt in my mind he was more than a match for me in his prime.” Tsunade nodded, sighing.
 
“So, give me a brief summary on Naruto's training.” Jiraiya grinned.
 
“For my own, I taught him how to draw out up to three tails of the Kyuubi's chakra and maintain control. Not to mention some variations on the Rasengan, though he still uses a Kage Bunshin to create one.”
 
“Why?” Tsunade asked. Jiraiya shrugged.

”Force of habit, I'm guessing, but judging by his chakra control and the new version of the Rasengan he himself created, he can easily make one by himself now. Hell, as far as I'm concerned, he could make two, one in each hand without any trouble.” Tsunade nodded thoughtfully, and motioned Jiraiya to continue.
 
“He can control which frogs he summons now, and I've taught him how to fight with several of them. His natural chakra reserves have doubled at least, and his build and stamina have been increased as well.” Tsunade bit her lip.
 
“I see… And Tusume's training?” Jiraiya shrugged.
 
“Well, one facet of it is to conceal one's true abilities, so I don't know everything. But, it's very apparent that his stealth, chakra control, and taijutsu have all been improved by an order of magnitude.” Tsunade raised an eyebrow.
 
“An order of magnitude? Jiraiya, how can you know this if you haven't-?”
 
“He knocked the wind out of me.” Tsunade blinked. Jiraiya's face held no mischief, no indication of a joke.
 
“He what?”
 
“Caught me when I was launching a full speed strike,” Jiraiya nodded. “Obviously I wasn't going to hit him with full force-Just get in close enough to take him down-But he caught me in mid air and slammed me into the ground hard enough to knock the wind out of me. I was literally dazed.” Tsunade gawked.
 
“How… How did he get so strong?! From what I know, a chakra control master like Tusume would have known how to increase his strength, but…” Jiraiya shook his head.
 
“There was no real strength enhancement involved here, Tsunade. The replay, as it were, showed that he used his chakra alongside his natural strength (which isn't inconsiderable) to redirect the force of my blow. He hit me with my own power.” Jiraiya grinned.
 
“He acted instinctively, too-And blocked my next punch without any real effort.” Tsunade's eyes seemed to widen even more… Before a more thoughtful expression took over her face, her fingers steepling in front of her mouth.
 
“I see… Jiraiya. Observe Naruto closely from now on, and step up the training for him.” Tsunade smirked. “If he's this good already, then I want to get his skill level up as high as possible for his next mission.” Jiraiya nodded, and leapt out the window of the office, leaving Tsunade to resume her paperwork…
 
For five seconds. After that, she whipped out the Third's crystal ball and locked onto Naruto. She smirked as she saw him leave his apartment and head for the Hyuuga compound.
 
“This is going to be good,” the Hokage cackled.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
A quick shower and change of clothes at home saw Naruto leaping across the rooftops, dressed in his now-preferred black pants, orange shirt, and black jacket combo. His forehead protector was once more shoved into his pocket, a habit Tusume had drilled into the blond's head.
 
Hey, they'll know where you're from if they kill you, right?” Naruto's memory echoed. The blond smirked and shook his head. He'd seen his headband as a mark of honor, showing that he wasn't useless nor was he a demon like the villagers had felt. But, in memory of the Old Man, he decided to keep it concealed for now.
 
The first stop on the scrolls to be delivered list was the Hyuuga compound, and Naruto grinned a little at the fact that it was addressed to Hinata.
 
Cool! I finally get to spend some time with a girl who isn't psychotic or trying to jump my bones every five seconds!
 
At that moment, in the Hyuuga compound courtyard…
 
“Hinata-sama?! What are you wearing?!” Hinata turned around, giving Neji a slightly embarrassed look.
 
“Ano… Neji-nii-chan… I um… D-Decided t-to borrow, um… One of K-K-Kurenai-sensei's outf-fits?” Hinata stammered. Neji's pale eyes widened as he took in his cousin's new choice of wardrobe.
 
She wore a much shorter and racier version of her old fur-lined jacket, over a collection of plain white wrappings that barely had the right to be called a dress. Her long, blue hair had been fluffed up and curled into a main almost identical to that of her sensei's. The “dress” was very tight and held Hinata's breasts together as though they were peeking out behind the fabric. She blushed heavily, holding her hands against her belly in a slightly distraught fashion. Neji felt an instinctive desire to move closer to Hinata, to hold her and-
 
“Has… Hiashi-sama… Seen you in that thing?” Neji demanded. Hinata held up her hands beseechingly.
 
“P-P-Please, Neji-sama! I j-just want t-to look g-g-good for N-Naru-!”
 
“Yo guys! What's up?” Hinata and Neji turned to the source of the interruption-A widely grinning Naruto… Whose grin faded slightly as he took in Hinata's attire. His cheeks turned red.
 
“Um… Er… H-Hey, Hinata-chan… Neji,” Naruto added as an afterthought. His eyes kept wanting to drift down, but his mind kept saying Face! Face!
 
Neji gawked as Hinata froze. Naruto blinked.
 
“Er… I've got a scroll, for you, Hinata-chan…” Naruto approached Hinata, who coughed slightly. Naruto's face turned even redder from what it did to her chest.
 
“Oh! Um… T-Thankyou, N-Naruto... Kun…” She stammered. Naruto blinked, and looked between Neji and Hinata.

”Er… So… What's the occasion?” Naruto asked. “Um… The nice dress and all that?” Hinata twiddled her fingers.
 
“Ano… I-I wanted to try, um, s-something new, N-Naruto-kun. W-What do you th-think?” Hinata asked shyly, twirling about slightly. Naruto grinned, feeling himself on more familiar ground, as Neji quickly collected himself.
 
“Ahem… Naruto.”
 
“Wow Hinata, it looks great! I mean, every guy in Konoha is going to be following you around!” Naruto complimented.
 
“Naruto,” Neji tried again. Hinata blushed even harder, smiling at Naruto.
 
“Y-Y-You really t-think so?” She asked. Naruto nodded enthusiastically.
 
“Definitely! It's a great change! I mean, you looked great before, but-“
 
“Naruto,” Neji hissed, unleashing some killing intent. Naruto blinked, and turned to Neji. He smiled sheepishly.
 
“Er… Hi Neji.”
 
“You said you had a scroll to deliver, yes?” Neji asked stiffly. Naruto nodded, holding it up.
 
“Yeah. It's for Hinata-chan… Here you go!” Naruto smiled, handing her the scroll. Their hands brushed against eachother, causing Hinata to blush even harder and Naruto to frown.
 
“Er, Hinata-chan? You okay? You don't sound-Look so good,” Naruto amended, not wanting to reveal just how good his hearing was. He put a hand to her forehead. “Are you running a fever?”
 
Calm down, calm down! C'mon, you dressed up for him! Say something! Inner Hinata yelled. Hinata took a deep breath.
 
“Ano… N-Naruto-kun? I w-wanted to ask you, t-to, um…”
 
“Yes?” Naruto asked, smiling. Neji growled, and Naruto turned his head and blinked.
 
“Er, Neji? Something wrong?”
 
“Naruto,” Neji said with an odd smile. “I'd like to spar with you, actually.”
 
“Right now?” Naruto asked.
 
“Right now.”

”Um, but shouldn't we get Hinata-chan checked out? She doesn't look so-“
 
“She's fine, she does this all the time. She's anemic,” Neji quickly explained, leading Hinata to gasp.
 
“N-N-No no no! I'm n-not anemic! I j-just-!”
 
“Oh dear, she's delirious now,” Neji went on smoothly, pulling Hinata from Naruto's grasp and setting her down on her favorite bench. He turned back to Naruto, brushing off his white Hyuuga clan robes, still smiling oddly. Naruto gulped, detecting the hormones and sounds coming from Neji to indicate that he was not happy.
 
“Er… You know Neji, you look a lot like your uncle when you're angry,” Naruto pointed out. His inner self howled Stupid Stupid Stupid! Neji's smile grew a bit more.
 
“Oh, I do, do I? Byakugan!” With that, Neji lashed out, a chakra-charged fist racing for Naruto's chest. The blond evaded, Neji's next strikes coming faster and faster. Remembering what had happened the last time he fought Neji, Naruto slipped into a simple forward-set fighting stance and struck back; hitting Neji's wrists to deflect his attacks.
 
“Neji! What did I do?!” Naruto asked, ducking as Neji swung around in an attempt to catch Naruto in the neck with a chakra-charged knife strike. Naruto tried to sweep Neji's legs out from under him but the Hyuuga jounin evaded, his graceful footwork avoiding the sweep and thrusting one hand down at Naruto's face. Naruto rolled back, curling into a ball before rapidly unfolding back into the loose fighting stance he'd been using. Neji raised an eyebrow, his rage being replaced by curiosity.
 
“You've improved a great deal since our last battle,” he noted. Naruto shrugged and grinned.
 
“You too.”
 
“What is the name of that fighting style?” Neji asked, a quick burst of speed forward bringing him and his deadly fingers once more lashing upon Naruto. Naruto kept to his first stance, deflecting Neji's strikes the same way before launching several low kicks, all of which Neji handily evaded.
 
“Jeet Kun Do,” Naruto replied. Neji nodded thoughtfully, twirling around one of Naruto's lunge punches and targeting the base of Naruto's neck. Naruto tumbled forward again, righting himself back on his feet, ready to fight once more.

Hinata watched, her fear at her cousin's rage against Naruto now turning to fascination as the battle progressed.
 
Mmm… Naruto-kun is so… Flexible, Inner Hinata observed, drooling mentally. Hinata's semi-permanent blush when around Naruto darkened just a bit more as she continued to watch.
 
“'Way of the Intercepting Fist'? Intriguing,” Neji replied. “You block other's strikes with attacks of your own, or simply evade. It is a very loose, adaptable style, this much is certain. You do not rely heavily on the legs, like with the Jyuuken, but do not rely on a strict footwork plan.” Neji nodded. “I approve.”
 
“Er… Thanks,” Naruto returned, shrugging with a sheepish smile. Neji smirked.

”However… There are always ways around a certain fighting style.” Neji came forward once more, his strikes even faster than before. Naruto kept moving about, letting the pressure of Neji's chakra against his senses allow him to move naturally. Even so, Neji was learning to redirect his strikes quickly after their being knocked away, and each blow was getting closer and closer to Naruto's tenketsu.
 
“For instance,” Neji spoke again at last, “While your movements are loose and natural, it is possible to-“ Neji paused, and Naruto's chakra senses seemed to indicate an attack from behind as Neji's spiritual energy shifted, but instead he ducked down and slammed one chakra-charged fist into Naruto's stomach.
 
“Damnit!” Naruto cursed, falling backwards and rolling away, struggling back up to his feet. Neji eyed him with a slight smirk.
 
“To deceive you, by throwing my chakra system's balance off to one side,” Neji finished. Naruto coughed, grimacing, as Hinata hurried over.

”N-Naruto-kun? Are you allright?” Naruto grinned.
 
“Heh… I'm fine. It was… Educational.” Naruto got up, still wincing. Looks like Neji wasn't kidding around here…
 
“A-Are you s-sure you d-d-don't need to c-come in?” Hinata asked, blushing. Naruto shook his head.

”Sorry, the old hag's making me deliver these scrolls. Anyway, talk to you later, Hinata. Neji! Can we spar sometime again?” Neji nodded, as Naruto grinned.
 
“Cool. Later!” And with that, Naruto was gone, leaving a smirking Neji and happy (but rather disappointed) Hinata behind.
 
“… D-D-Damnit,” Hinata cursed, before blushing and slapping her hands over her mouth. Neji sighed, and turned to go back into the compound.
 
Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Inner Hinata pouted. Stupid Neji-nii-chan!
 
I'll get him next time, Hinata promised her inner self, brushing some imaginary dust from her outfit. And now, she felt she was strong enough to determine when and where that next time would be.
 
Neji's thoughts were also on Naruto, as he walked through the compound halls and nodded to Branch members on his way to his room. On one hand, he'd gotten some revenge on Uzumaki for writing that damned book. On the other, he'd grown a lot stronger, which intrigued the Hyuuga prodigy. He had clearly changed much more than Neji had originally suspected, and Neji was hoping to fight and learn more of the supposed `dead-last's' new tricks.
 
However… Hinata-sama's dressing up had been for fairly obvious reasons, and Neji couldn't help but sigh.
 
The more things change, he mused. While he was rather happy that Naruto was not aware of his cousin's intentions, it did leave Hinata-sama in an awkward position. Not to mention an unhappy one.
 
Hinata-sama's happiness… My peace of mind… Hinata-sama's happiness… My peace of mind…?
 
A sudden thought occurred. Hiashi-sama would be furious if he learned Naruto was courting Hinata.
 
Once more, the rarely seen but always scary Neji Hyuuga Evil Smile © appeared. Hyuugas of both houses in range felt a terrible sense of impending doom
 
Hinata-sama's happiness it is…
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Danzo sipped his sake, looking out over the mountain lake bordering his elegant home. It was constructed in a more Western-fashion than other Konoha residences, stone and wood arranged into a church-like mansion, complete with towers and large windows.
 
“So… The sisters have been captured?” His guest asked, sitting nearby in a lounge chair matching Danzo's own. The head of ANBU nodded, taking another sip of the expensive alcohol. His guest had no drink. Danzo wanted to make sure the man knew where he stood in this negotiation.
 
“Good.”
 
“When will the Uchiha be ready?” Danzo asked. His guest smirked, round glasses reflecting the midday sun.
 
“One more week, and his current training will be complete. Orochimaru-sama will have him at the new railroad a day after.” Danzo smirked.
 
“And the sisters will provide this intel?”
 
“Easily,” his guest reassured him. Danzo nodded, taking another sip, before standing up.
 
“My other guests are arriving. I suggest you depart.” The man's smirk widened, eyes laughing in twisted amusement. Not for the first time, Danzo felt appalled at having to work with such trash… But, in his mind the ends justified the means, and Konoha would be better for it when they came to fruition.
 
“Indeed. Mustn't keep the Ruling Council waiting…” With a final cruel laugh, the gray-haired man vanished, leaving Danzo to finish the statement.
 
“… For a traitor.”
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Neji the Matchmaker… Scary thought, no? Heh heh heh…
 
Jeet Kune Do is a real martial arts style, created by the late great Bruce Lee. I myself practice it, mainly for exercise.
 
Next time: Naruto drops off scrolls at Anko's… Poor Naruto. Assuming he survives that, he heads to deliver one to Tenten… Dun dun dunnn! Then, we catch back up with Akatsuki-Just how is their prisoner resisting them still, and what information does he hold that they need?
 
As always, review! Tell me your thoughts on the story, how to make it better, and what direction to take it in! I'm flexible in how it goes, and make no mistake-It's going to be going for a while.