Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ What are these Memories? ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Here's the deal with updates. After I finish a chapter on “Mistaken for a Suitor” or “You Will No Longer Haunt Me,” I will add another chapter to “What are these Memories?” after I update before mentioned story. So I'll update every other story. This chapter was really hard to write, but it was easier once I got the hang of it with the flow of the story. I am going away Friday to see my older brother off to college where we will then go white-water rafting afterwards (unfortunately, he doesn't get to go). Hopefully, Dad will get me new notebooks for my fanfiction stories and for my original story “MoonLance” (which you can read at my FictionPress.com profile at www.fictionpress.com/~yuugichan).
 
Nova Alexandria: You never to me what you thought it was! I need to know because, well, I forgot what it was really supposed to be and if you come close to it, it will probably help me remember. ^^;
 
Teh-Noise: I'm not sure if you're still reading this fic or not, but if you are, you should know this is way overdue. Anyways, I just want to thank you for being really honest with me, and I appreciate it. From now on, I will take up your advice. ;)
 
Latoya: I guess I did go a bit too far, huh? Anyways, that is a pretty good suggestion with her owing him information and all…
 
-Yuugi-chan
 
Italics- flashbacks
Regular text- flashbacks within a flashback
 
Chapter 17
 
Sakura went into a coughing fit during the middle of her training, causing Itachi to take advantage of the opening to attack her. She tried dodging, but he was too quick and her coughing fit slowed her down dramatically, and she was hit.
“Enough!” she choked out between coughs.
“What is it now kunoichi?” Itachi asked, rather irritated to be interrupted during training with her again. This wasn't the first time she had asked for a break.
“What do you think is the matter? I'm not feeling all that well,” she croaked. Itachi opened his mouth in reply, but she cut him off. “I know you think that's not much of an excuse, but I can't take these coughing fits much longer. The medics won't give me anything either, and they took my medical equipment when I first arrived here.”
“And you're saying we should stop just because of that?” he questioned.
“Hai, but I know you don't want to. How come you can't train with Kisame?” She burst into another round of coughing.
“Fine, go. But just be warned that I will work you harder tomorrow, sick or not,” he said.
“Thank you,” she replied and walked off back to his room.
 
Itachi didn't come in until that night. When he entered his room, he found her asleep once more in her makeshift bed. Itachi sighed and shook his head, taking his normal spot next to her. She didn't so much as stir. Looking around, he wondered if she had eaten.
“Hey,” he said, nudging her on the cheek once again, “wake up.” She didn't move. “I said wake up, kunoichi.” Again, he got no reaction. Pausing for a moment, he realized she was rather warm. `Guess she really isn't feeing very well.' He sighed and flopped down on his back. Seeing as having nothing better to do, he closed his eyes.
Sakura, who did that to you?
Heh, you're proud of these arms?
Who was it?
I am an avenger.
Sakura, say it!
Shut up about this mark.
Who the hell hurt you?
Stay out of my business.
I hope you let me have more fun.
I am on a path to gain power, no matter what it takes.
You really are annoying.
Sakura, thank you.
Sakura sat up quickly and put her head in her hands. Her dreams always ended with the same phrase. She suddenly found a kunai at her throat. She turned around and looked next to her, and was not at all surprised Itachi as the culprit. It wasn't the first time this had happened. Itachi would jerk awake ready to attack whatever came near him if he felt even the slightest movement in his sleep. Itachi looked at her for a few seconds as he gathered his wits about him and drew the kunai away from her neck.
“Nightmares again?” he asked as he lay back down once more.
“That's none of your business,” she replied. He sighed.
“All right, maybe it's not.” She looked at him curiously. He was wearing his hair down. Now that was something she had never seen before.
“Why don't you have your hair pulled back?” she asked.
“That's none of your business,” he replied. Sakura mentally cursed in frustration. He was mocking her.
“Just answer the damn question.” Again, she mentally scolded herself. She was cursing again. `Great. First you're fresh with him and then you curse in front of him! Not the smartest move you've ever made Sakura,' she thought.
“Your language is terrible,” he stated.
“My language is perfectly fine, thank you very much. You just don't like swearing.”
“I never said I didn't like it,” he replied. “I just don't tolerate it.”
“Would you quit avoiding the question?” she asked, exasperated.
“What's it matter?”
“I'm just curious, that's all.”
He sighed, “It's quite uncomfortable to wear your hair up when you're sleeping.” A thought popped into Sakura's head.
“Would you pass me that kunai?”
“What for?”
“Just because.”
“Are you going to attack me with it again?”
“No.”
“If I find out you're lying…”
“I know, I know. You won't be happy. So would you please give me it already?” He passed her the kunai. “Thank you.” As soon as she said those two words, she slashed her hair off in one swift motion. He raised an eyebrow.
“Now why did you go and do that?”
“Long hair gets in the way,” she replied. She gave him a look. “Something that you need to realize.”
“I am not cutting my hair off.”
“Why? Afraid it will ruin your image?” Itachi said nothing in response to her question. He watched her as she cleaned up the mess she caused by her activity. “Why must you look at me that way?” Again, he said nothing. When she was done cleaning up, she flopped back down on the blankets. She gave a small cough and closed her eyes to go to sleep. Her eyes snapped open once more as a pair of arms wrapped around her. “NANI? LET ME GO!”
“Tell me why I should.”
“So I don't stab you with the kunai I have in my hand.”
He chuckled, “Go ahead. Try it. See what will happen.” She rammed it straight into his shoulder. Now that she didn't mean to do. She thought he was going to move away to avoid it, but he took the blow full force. Itachi, on the other hand, was showing no sign of pain at the injury she just caused him. “Now what are you going to do kunoichi?”
She looked down at the ground, “Nothing.” Seeing as he still hadn't let go of her, she found it a fair that she would not remove the kunai from his shoulder and heal him. A few moments passed and she soon became tired and drifted off into the realm known as slumber.
 
When she woke up she felt infinitely better than yesterday. He still had his arms around her. Sakura started when a thought hit her brain. She realized that she had just violated one of her moral ethics. She, a sixteen year-old girl, just slept in the arms of a twenty year-old man!
“Something the matter Kisame?” his voice asked. She turned around and faced the doorway where a now flustered Kisame was standing. She hadn't even heard him come in! Kisame glanced at her then back to Itachi, then back to her again. She flushed scarlet. “Well?”
“Um, no! Nothing's wrong! I'll just, uh, leave you alone right now! Sorry for disturbing you!” And with that, he ran out of the room. Sakura looked back at the elder Uchiha.
“Are you going to let me go now?”
“Alright.” He let her squirm free of his grasp, but not without making her struggle for it first. Sakura immediately ran from the room and into the kitchens, embarrassed. He gave a light chuckle and shook his head.
“She's such a fool…”
 
Author's End Note: Alright, don't kill me with harsh reviews here! This was a spur-of-the-moment thing, so don't get all worked up (or at least tell me you got worked up). Anyways, poor Kisame; always walking in on things he shouldn't be. XD