Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Who knew... ❯ 12. WATER GAMES, RANDOM SONGS AND LEAVING AGAIN ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

12. WATER GAMES, RANDOM SONGS AND LEAVING AGAIN
 
The sunlight entered the room from the small opening of the blinds, hitting the sleeping boy directly in his eyes.
Itachi opened his shut eyes, and stretched his legs and arms.
He snapped his fingers, and he got up.
He hadn't slept that night, he had thought too much.
The young Uchiha had replayed the day before in his mind until sleep had won over him. Itachi smirked. He got her.
 
He walked to the bathroom, and washed his face with cold water, as he did every morning.
“Aniki! Good morning!” Sasuke greeted him as he was drying his face.
“'morning, Sasuke.” He replied absent-mindedly. The raven haired teen changed into his black clothing, and combed casually his long hair into a ponytail.
He was hungry, and the sweet smell coming from the kitchen was inviting. `I'm not fully awake yet' he thought, considering if drinking his usual tea, or asking for a cup of coffee.
“Ohayo, Itachi-kun!” his mother greeted him smiling. “Ohayo, kaa-san.” Itachi replied.
“Itachi-kun, daijobu?” Mikoto had noticed that her son had black bags under his eyes.
“Hai, kaa-san.”
“Didn't you sleep well?” Mikoto asked, a bit worried.
“I didn't really sleep; but don't worry, kaa-san.” Said the boy, eating his breakfast.
“Remember that tonight there is the meeting, Itachi-kun. Ask someone to take your place at the Anbu, will you remember?” Itachi's mother poured a cup of coffee for him, who thanked silently with a nod. Then, once he had drank his coffee, Itachi stood up and headed to the door, to put on his sandals and go training with Shishui.
“Aniki! Aniki!” Sasuke came running from the corridor.
Itachi sighed. “Hai, Sasuke-chan?”
“May I come training with you?” asked the child, hopefully.
“No, Sasuke. I must train with Shishui, today.” The older Uchiha brother replied. He was expecting the usual complaining, and he was already ready to poke his little brother's forehead, when little Sasuke turned away and said: “Fine. I'll go training with Asuka-neechan. She never says no to Shin, and I asked him if I could come too next time.” Sasuke was expecting a reaction from his aniki. After all, he was an Uchiha too. And Uchiha were geniuses.
“With Asuka-chan, uh?” asked Itachi, interested; he had understood his little brother's game. “Have fun, then, and don't bother Asuka-chan too much” he added.
Sasuke's face fell. “Ne! ne! aniki! Don't you want to come training with me? There is also Asuka-neechan!” Sasuke protested, fists clenched.
“Oh, there is also Asuka-chan, right. And?” asked the older brother.
“And! And! And you like Asuka-chan! You are supposed to be willing to see her!” replied Sasuke.
“I like her?” asked Itachi amused.
“Yes! You do! And Shin told me Asuka-neechan likes you too, so if you like her you must be willing to see her!” repeated the child.
Itachi sighed. “Alright, Sasuke. Maybe later I will come to where you train. But now I have to go and see Shishui.”
Sasuke's face lit up. “Really? Really? Oh aniki! I'm so happy! We are down at the river, then.but come, uh! You promised!”
Itachi was tempted to remind his little brother that he hadn't promised anything, but he simply opened the door and headed towards the Uchiha's training ground.
 
* * *
“Asuka-neechan! Asuka-neechan!” Sasuke was running on the river shore, towards Asuka and her brother Shin. The kunoichi turned and looked at the child.
“Oh! Hello Sasuke-chan! Were you looking for me?” the girl asked him.
“Hai! Shin-kun told me that I could come and train with you…can I? Itachi didn't want me to go with him…” Sasuke said, knowing that the last sentence would hit a chord in the kunoichi's heart.
And it did. “Of course you can, Sasuke! Ren and I were teaching to Shin some water jutsu…want to join us?”
The child gave her a big smile, and nodded.
“Hello Shin! Ren-san!” Sasuke greeted the Yoshizumi boys, who greeted him back. Ren wasn't really training, he was sitting under a tree with a couple of scrolls opened in front of him, and he seemed deeply concentrated.
“So, Shin. Care to explain to Sasuke-chan what you learnt so far?” Asuka asked to her little brother.
“Hai! Ehm…first of all, we are near a river because it is easier to summon the water for the jutsu…and then…then…what was the name again, neechan?” Shin looked at his sister.
Asuka sighed. “Water dragon bullet, Shin. It's a basic water technique. Can you any hand seal, Sasuke-chan?”
“Hai! I learnt them at the academy!” nodded Sasuke, happy to have someone to show his ability to.
“Ok, then. First of all, we must set a target. So that when you are able to perform the jutsu, you know where to aim. Let's pick…that tree over there” she said, pointing to a tree on the other shore of the river.
“Then. First learn the hand seals, and then I'll show you. It's very easy, based on just two hand seals. Ox” she said, and showed the children how to put their hands, correcting Shin who had a couple of fingers messed up “then tiger” and again she showed the position of the hands. “follow me so far?” she asked. “Hai!” both children replied. “Very good, and now repeat. Ox, tiger, ox, tiger. Now, show me the hands. Sasuke, you start.”
Sasuke looked focused. “ox…tiger…ox…tiger!” and he performed the hand seals correctly.
“Wonderful! Very good, Sasuke-chan! Now, Shin.”
Shin performed the hand seals quickly and without uncertainties.
“Now watch. You perform the seals” she said, slowly putting her hands into the positions “and then you let a few chakra flow into your hands.” A light blue aura surrounded her hands “then…picture yourself water, a lot of water, for example try to concentrate on the image of the river. And when you're sure that you can see the water in your mind, you release the jutsu, like this.” She explained, and a rain of water balls violently hit a tree behind the one chosen as the children's target.
The kunoichi turned to the children and asked “Got it? Hand seals, chakra, water and release. It's easy! Now, show me what you got.” And she sat in front of the children.
The two boys looked into each other's eyes, and nodded.
“Ox” they said together “tiger, ox, tiger!” Asuka could feel their chakra channelling into their hands, while they looked intensely at the river behind her.
Shin was the first to release. “Suiton! Water dragon bullet!” he screamed, and a few water balls hit the target with strength, signing the bark. “Perfect, Shin. Dose the chakra more carefully, so that you can give the bullets a determinate strength.” Asuka told her brother, who nodded and waited for Sasuke.
Sasuke released after the Yoshizumi child. “Suiton! Water dragon bullet!” a couple of water balls flew across the river, to crash onto the tree like water balloons.
“Yay! That's 1-0 for me!” screamed Shin happily.
Sasuke looked hurt. “Very well, Sasuke-chan!” Asuka praised him.
“Very well? Very well? Asuka-neechan, with my jutsu I wouldn't have hurt a fly!” complained Sasuke. Asuka laughed. “Sasuke-chan, remember that Shin is part of the Yoshizumi clan. We have water jutsu in our DNA! You of the Uchiha clan are feared masters of the fire techniques; it is impressive that you, being an Uchiha and being so young, managed to perform the jutsu clearly and with a certain efficacy at your first attempt! Now, Shin, I want you to concentrate on the chakra control. Sasuke, your control is very good, I want you to work on the mental part of the jutsu. If you are not convinced of its strength, of your strength, the jutsu will be as weak as you imagine. But if you think highly of yourself, and judge honestly your skills, the jutsu will be much stronger! Now, boys, concentrate.” She said. The kunoichi then walked towards her cousin, who was still lost in his scrolls. “They both are pretty strong, aren't they, Ren?” she asked him. The young man lifted his head. “Yeah, they are. Probably they will become stronger than you and Itachi, Asuka-chan!” he said. “I wish! I would be so proud of them!” Asuka smiled. She leaned on the tree, and closed her eyes to relax. She hadn't slept much, that night. But before she could et comfortable, she heard an annoying voice approaching. She opened her eyes, and flipped her dark, long hair back. Ren looked at her in the eyes, and she gave him a look that said `kill me now'.
Tomoyo followed by Aki, Hitomi and Shishui were coming. Followed by Itachi…and his living appendix, Sachiko, the daimyo's daughter.
Asuka still felt the shock of the night before, when the blonde announced that she would have stayed for a few time in Konoha. Awful. Terrible.
The kunoichi stood up, adjusted her short white shorts and her red vest, matching her bath suit, and walked towards her friends. “Hitomi-chan! Tomoyo-chan!” the three girls hugged.
“Oh, Asuka, what are you doing here?” Sachiko, glued at Itachi's right arm asked.
“Mmm, waiting for you to come and light up my day, Sachiko-san!” she exclaimed.
Asuka greeted Shishui and Itachi, who waited to be sure that nobody but Asuka was watching him to wear a lovely smile that made Asuka's heart melt.
`Asuka, serious!' she scolded herself.
“So my otouto was telling the truth, you really are training him” Itachi said. Asuka nodded. She didn't really know how to act around him anymore, and she felt immensely idiotic for that.
“Water jutsu?” asked Shishui. “Yup, Water Dragon Bullet, a basic one”. “Good old Yoshizumi style!” added Ren, noticing that his cousin was having trouble with conversation with the two young Uchiha. Hitomi and Tomoyo were keeping laughter back, but approached their friend and distracted her from the two Uchiha.
“Asuka-chan! What about playing?” asked Ren. Ok, he was older than her cousin, he was the same age as Shishui, around 16-17, and he was an elite jounin, and a respected member of the Yoshizumi clan and of the retrieving Anbu squads, but he was always the one to start playing and joking.
“Yes! Why not!” Tomoyo said, and then, barking to Aki, she told him to go and collect four long sticks.
“I suppose that you brought the ball, then” asked Asuka. Hitomi nodded and pointed at Shishui's backpack.
Sachiko snorted. “You are not going to play, Itachi-kun, are you? Leave those kids alone.” Itachi, if he hadn't been Itachi, would have sweat-dropped. But he was, and just gave her an expressionless look. The blonde noble girl dragged him towards the tree where Asuka and Ren were resting before the other's arrival, and she put on an annoyed look.
“Arf!” Aki came back running, holding a few sticks into his mouth.
“Thank you, Aki” Tomoyo patted her friend on the head, and throw the sticks to Asuka and Ren.
The boys took off their clothes, and headed to the river in their bath suits, followed by Shishui and Tomoyo. Hitomi just sat beside the river shore, with her feet in the water.
Ren was running on the water, and Asuka was in front of him a few meters away.
“Here?” asked the long haired kunoichi to her cousin.
“Yeah, seems fine!” he replied, and they planted the sticks in the depth so that two approximate soccer doors were built. Sasuke and Shin looked at the older boys. “Asuka-neechan! We want to play too!” said Sasuke. Then, he turned to Itachi. “”May I, aniki?” Itachi smiled and nodded. “Yay!” exclaimed the child, and after taking his shirt off, he followed Shin who was already walking on the water surface. He had taken just a step, when… “AWWW! It's cold!” Sasuke complained, splashing into the water. Asuka ran to him. “You don't know how to do it, right?” she asked, but it was rather obvious that te younger Uchiha had no clue on how to walk on the water surface. “Ok. Go back to the shore, and give me your hands.” The girl told him. Sasuke nodded, and got up dripping. He shook his head to eliminate a bit of the water that fell from his hair, and stretched his arms in front of him, Asuka taking his hands. “Now…put a little bit of chakra on your feet…not too much because you wouldn't be able to find equilibrium, and not to few because…well, because you would just splash like before” she smiled. Sasuke closed his eyes, and a light blue aura surrounded his feet. “Now…slowly, try to take a few steps…don't worry, I am here to catch you if you fall” the older girl reassured him. Sasuke moved hesitantly his right foot, touching the water. He moved his body weight on it, and gave Asuka a big smile, as he was standing above the surface. “Great, Sasuke-chan! Now, move again. I won't let you until we are sure you mastered it.” Sasuke moved again, and in a few minutes was able to walk more or less balanced on the river. “I let you go, uh, Sasuke-chan…” Asuka told him, slowly leaving the grip on his hands. Sasuke was now standing on the river surface, on his own, and was smiling big to the girl. Then he tried to move again, experimenting his stability. “Ne! ne! Aniki! Look! I'm on the river!” the child said jumping on the water, looking at his brother. “Good, Sasuke, good” Itachi nodded.
Shishui and Ren were already kicking the ball, while Tomoyo had sat beside Hitomi on the shore.
Shin and Sasuke ran towards the older boys, and tackled the respective cousin on the water, stealing the ball and running away.
“Hei! Sasuke-chan, pay attention!” Shishui screamed to the boy. “Now, who's the goal keeper?” Tomoyo stood up and ran towards the door. “Great!” Ren said. “Yoshizumi against…well, two Uchiha and an Inuzuka…that is, Yoshizumi against the rest of the world!” “Yes, yes, Ren, but now go to the door” Asuka said pushing him. “Shin, Sasuke, come here! We start!” she called the two children.
Hitomi, her feet still into the water, was the referee.
She stood, ball in her hands, whistled and threw the ball in the air in the middle of the “field”, Asuka and Shishui crashing into one another trying to catch it.
Shin was faster, and caught the ball, while Sasuke was trying to stop him. “Asuka-chan!” he called, spotting his sister who was back on her feet. He kicked the ball in her direction, but she was tackled by Shishui. Hitomi whistled. “Foul!” and the ball was given to Asuka, who stuck out her tongue to Shishui. She kicked, and Tomoyo grabbed the ball with both hands. “Don't think that it is so easy with me as goalkeeper, Asuka-chan!” she laughed to her friend.
Shishui was already running towards the Yoshizumi door, and when Tomoyo threw the ball he was all ready to catch it. Shin was close to Shishui, but so was Sasuke, and when Shishui passed him the ball the younger Uchiha aimed directly to the door.
Itachi was getting annoyed.
He was not one to go and play childish games like soccer, or this…what was it…water soccer, but being stuck with this Sachiko was definitely worse than putting a bit of his pride aside, and joining the boys on the river.
Before Sachiko could realize, Itachi was up and shirtless, and running to the river.
Shishui welcomed him. “Hei! No fair!” exclaimed Shin. “What is not fair, Shin-chan?” asked Itachi, amused. “You are four! And three males! We are just three and have Asuka-neechan!” the child protested. He froze. He felt cold wind and shivers running down his spine, as he knew that his sister was behind him, and there was no way to escape.
“What…what do you exactly mean by `we have Asuka-neechan'?…” she asked her brother, speaking slowly and clearly, so that he could feel the weight of his doom on his shoulders.
“Aw, Asuka-chan, let him go, we can play all together!” said Tomoyo, fearing for the child. “You can be so naïve, Asuka-chan…” said Shishui, shaking his head in disappointment.
Asuka and Ren looked at each other. “I'm not saying it was your fault, although you could have done have more, oh you're so naiiiiiive yet sooooo….” They were hugging each other and screaming-singing out loud. “Yay! The Kooks!” Asuka added in laughter. “Oh, I'm so proud that you are my cousin! Yup! It was The Kooks!” and they were patting backs and randomly singing parts of the song. “I know she knows I'm not fond of asking, and true or false it may be, she is still out to get meeeeee” the two boys sang at the top of their lungs. Tomoyo looked at Shishui. “You…you don't know what you started…” Shishui looked at her questioningly. “What did he start, Tomoyo-chan?” asked Itachi, still looking at the two cousins dancing and randomly singing about someone who was not fond of asking or something. “They can go on singing…like that…for hours…” Hitomi said. “…and every word spoken may be used as the hint of a song…” Shishui was looking at Asuka. “But she has such a nice voice” he said, not really paying attention to what the others said. Itachi patted his back. Shishui had told him about the night before, about Asuka being in love with someone and rejecting the older Uchiha. Itachi had been happy, at least one of his opponents was out. But now…who was the one Asuka-chan was in love with? Kakashi? Or could it be…
“Just don't let meeeeee down…” Ren was holding Asuka's hand, and they were dancing like mad.
The boys were interrupted by the croaking of the Hokage's big falcon. The bird landed on a tree, and Ren, Asuka, Itachi and Shishui got out of the river and grabbed their clothes.
“Sorry guys, we are needed somewhere else.” Ren said.
“Shin, get dried and go home to tell father that I may not be home for dinner.” Asuka told her little brother, who nodded and hurried out of the water, followed by Sasuke.
“Same goes for you, Sasuke.”
And they disappeared into a puff of smoke, leaving the two children and the two chuunin with an annoyed Sachiko.
 
* * *
 
The four boys appeared in front of the Hokage still wearing their “vacation” outfits.
They bowed in front of the old man, and waited for instructions.
 
The Sandaime nodded, and spoke. “You were summoned because a rather unpleasant event occurred. Two forbidden scrolls were stolen” and he paused, letting out a puff of smoke from his pipe “and the suspect says he acted under hypnosis. But” and he puffed again “I believe that someone more powerful than him is behind that. Orochimaru.”.
 
All the four Anbu widened their eyes. Orochimaru? They were sent to fight Orochimaru?
 
“Now, what I want you to do is find out whether the man said the truth, and retrieve the scrolls. There are extremely precious information on them, and if they fall in the wrong hands…” he paused.
“You will be meeting in front of the east gate in an hour. You will be forming three members teams, Asuka-chan, Ren-kun, you will go with Shinji-kun, Asuka's father.” Asuka and Ren were astonished. Asuka's father, although strong and feared in their clan, didn't take part in active missions for almost five years. Much less in Anbu missions. He was a diplomatic…Asuka couldn't understand why they chose him.
“Itachi-kun, Shishui-kun. Your team leader will be Kakashi-kun.” The two Uchiha nodded.
“Remember that I do not want you to openly fight Orochimaru. I don't doubt your skills, but that man is on another level. You may have troubles fighting him even if it was all of you against him. Pay attention. Mostly you, Itachi-kun. And you” he said looking at Asuka, who nodded.
“Go!”
 
* * *
When the two Yoshizumi arrived at the gate, two tall men in Anbu uniform, masks on, were waiting leaning on a fence.
Asuka ran towards the taller man. “Dad!” she exclaimed.
Sbonk. The man had hit Asuka hard on the head. “Ouch! That hurt…” she complained, but then understood “…Shinji-taichou.” The masked man nodded. “Sorry for hurting you, Asuka-chan. Daijobu?” he said. “Yeah, don't mind. Hello, sempai” she said to the other man, whose white hair were an unmistakable trade mark. “Asuka-chan” said Kakashi, nodding “Ren-kun”.
“Taichou…I still don't understand…well, the exact reason…I mean…” Ren was afraid to be hit the way Asuka had been. “What he wants to say, taichou, is that we don't understand why you were picked for this mission.” Said Asuka, taking a step back as a form of defence.
“Wait until the Uchiha boys arrive, Asuka. Then I'll explain you not only that, but how the mission will work.” “Hai” the cousins nodded.
A couple of minutes later, Itachi and Shishui appeared on the street heading to the gate.
Ren hit Asuka with the elbow to catch her attention. “Ne, Asuka-chan…ain't you excited about spending a few days with Itachi, there?” he whispered maliciously.
The girl didn't answer. She move quickly, and blocked the boy with a hand on his back, pressing painfully on his wrist. “Asuka! what are you doing!” scolded her her father. “Nothing, taichou.” And she released the older boy, staring at him threateningly from under the mask.
The two taichou looked each other, and Kakashi nodded.
“As Hokage-sama told you, this mission is basically a retrieving mission. We need to find these scrolls and take them back to Konoha. Or, in the worst scenario, destroy them. The scrolls absolutely don't have to stay in the enemy's hands.” Said Kakashi.
“I know that you wonder why I was chosen to guide a team, as it is such a long time since the last time I actively took part to a mission. But you have to know that the scrolls are known to be in Otogakure, so we will be travelling as a normal diplomatic mission, to improve the relationship between Oto and Konoha. You” he said pointing at them, Kakashi included “will be my escort. It is perfectly normal for a diplomatic to travel with an escort, and in Oto they will ask no question. Asuka, Ren and I will be scanning the minds of…well, basically everyone we meet, to know where the scrolls are taken. And perhaps gather information on Orochimaru, as it is not completely sure that the one behind the theft was him. I checked the captive's mind personally, but the use of hypnosis on him let his thoughts rather confused.” Shinji explained. “This mission is basically to find the scrolls, and gather information. It is dangerous, because you know that the relationship between Oto and Konoha is not…positive. We may be attacked in every moment, and the risk of traps or attempts is not to be undervalued, so take all the precautions of the case. For example, Ren, I want you to scan the food that we'll be given. You are the medic ninja here, and you are the one who knows poisons and antidotes.” “Hai, taichou.” Replied the Yoshizumi boy. “Asuka, I want you to protect Ren. He's the only medic in both teams. And, he's your cousin.” “Hai, taichou.” The girl nodded. “Besides, Ren, Asuka is the heir to our clan, so we both will have to take care of her. Itachi, you are the most skilled in genjutsu. I want you to elaborate genjutsus to cover or justify our absence in the night, and of course, they have to be perfect and undetectable.” “Hai, Yoshizumi-sama.” Itachi nodded. “And I want you to elaborate plans to escape if our original plan is compromised. This goes for you too, Asuka-chan. Shishui, you are the faster ninja of Konoha. If something goes wrong, pick the scrolls, and go back to Konoha. These scrolls are dangerous. Understood?” “Hai, Yoshizumi-sama. Demo…” Shinji shook his head. “No buts, Shishui. The scrolls are more important than our lives. The techniques and secrets they contain are some of the most powerful and dangerous jutsus ever created, and they may cost the lives of hundreds of people. Again. Something goes wrong, take them, and run. That's all.” Shinji ended, and began walking out of the gates.
“Taichou…maybe…you know that even if it is our kekkai-genkai, we are not the only ones to use it…and maybe in Oto there are others…we can't know…so…it may be helpful to teach them how to resist…”Asuka spoke lightly. She had been silent and thoughtful throughout the whole explanation of the plan.
Her father stopped and turned to look at his daughter.
“Right, Asuka-chan. We will teach them on the way. But remember that there are no guaranties that even if they know how to do it, it will work. They are not Yoshizumi. But we will try to teach them.” He replied.
“Ne, Asuka-chan” whispered Shishui, while walking.
“Hn? What?” she asked.
“What is it that you are going to teach us?” he asked the girl.
It was Itachi the one to reply.
“They will teach us” he said “to block the Dokushinjutsu.”.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
- - - -
yay for the kooks! I was listening to naïve while writing the chapter, and I guess it affected me too much…
 
ok! So! Another mission, uh?
What is going to happen???
 
Who knows! Ah ah ah! -_- ehm.
 
Ok! Read and review! And thanks to nejiten4ever ^_^