Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Who knew... ❯ 18. THIEVES ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

18. THIEVES
 
The wind was pretty cold, that night. Clouds were covering the moon, making it difficult for the four people to see properly. The figures, dressed in a black suit that looked a lot like the Anbu one, with black masks to cover their faces, were perched on the trees in front of the administrative building of Otogakure.
Shisui and Ren in front of Asuka and Itachi, they were waiting for the best moment to get in. What for? They had a mission. Well, not really a mission.
 
They were there to steal, actually.
Forbidden scrolls.
For Osagawa.
 
The only thought nauseated Asuka, and the jokes by Shisui and Ren on a possible `alternative career' didn't look so funny at the moment.
 
Her father Shin had studied the plan with Kakashi; Asuka and Ren were to find and steal the scrolls, while Itachi and Shisui were supposed to detect and avoid any unwanted eyes. Easy, uh? The building was practically impregnable. Oto nins were skilled, and taught to kill before asking.
 
She breathed deeply, and looked for Shisui's dark eyes, behind the dark mask, in the middle of a dark night, with no moonlight to allow them to see, but the flashing of thunders every now and then.
Luckily, Shisui was looking at her as well, and he nodded.
The kunoichi breathed deeply again, filling her lungs with the humid air that preceded the storm.
Tora, tori, uma, uma, hebi. This jutsu, which hadn't a real name, should conceal her chakra in order to let her and Ren perform the Dokushinjutsu.
She closed her eyes, and leaned on Shisui, while Ren was helped by Itachi.
 
Asuka-chan, this way. She heard Ren's voice in her mind.
Yes, Ren, I felt them too.
 
The two Konoha shinobi had found their preys; two oto ninjas, guarding the door that led to the forbidden area of the building.
One had bright red hair, and looked tired; the other one, smaller than his comrade, seemed on the verge of falling asleep.
Awesome! Asuka heard Ren giggle.
The men flashed their eyes open; they had felt some kind of shiver down their spines, and their heads were…heavy, to say the least.
Asuka scanned quickly and carefully the red head's mind, looking for information on the exact location of the scrolls they needed; nothing. Apparently, Ren had been luckier.
Got it? She asked her cousin
Got it. Was his reply.
 
And now…now the difficult part. She knew that they probably will need to be carried away by the Uchihas, because what they were going to do would have dried their chakra, for real. The Dokushinjutsu was heavy. And so was the Kyousei no jutsu, the obligation jutsu. They both had tried just once, before, to use them together, because the peril of death was high. The combination of these jutsus, if it worked out, gave them a power similar to the Yamanaka clan's one.
 
Both guards coughed, as they felt their limbs being overwhelmed by a stranger presence.
 
The two cousins bodies coughed as well, and a little bit of blood escaped from their lips. The Uchihas removed the other two's masks, to let them breathe better.
Itachi, concerned, looked at Asuka. She looked peaceful, if it wasn't for the red staining the girl's cheek.
 
In the meanwhile, the two Oto guards had fallen on their knees, struggling to send the heavy presence away.
They tried to fight that back, but soon, their mind was numb, scanned and controlled by the two Yoshizumi.
 
Ren, lead me. Asuka said.
Ren's guard nodded. This way, Asuka chan.
 
The body of the guard took a pair of keys out of his pocket. Asuka sweat-dropped. That was going to be easy.
 
When the door was unlocked, they entered the dark library.
Asuka loved libraries, the smell of paper and ink, the smell of knowledge, of dust.
Hell, Asuka, do something. I really cant see anything. Ren asked, annoyed.
 
`Ok, I can do it.' Asuka thought to herself, lighting a couple of candles up with the man's body.
Itachi. She called the boy's mind.
Itachi, sitting on the tree, looked around, before realising that the voice was coming from Asuka's jutsu. He saw the two, small lights coming from the huge windows of the library.
“Yes, Asuka-chan” he replied, both with real voice and in his mind. Shisui looked at him, and then at the girl he had in his arms. She had blood coming from her nose and ears; and the same, even if a little less, was happening to Ren. `Their bodies are tired. They cant keep this up for long.' The older Uchiha thought.
Itachi, I need you to cast a genjutsu on the library. Or outside the library, I don't know. We need light in there, but if you don't do something someone may see… the girl coughed, and Itachi nodded.
“Shisui” he said. The boy looked at his cousin. “Take care of Ren for a few moments, please”.
Sharingan on, Itachi made a few hand signs.
“Genjutsu. Obscurity no jutsu!” he said.
The windows of the library were swallowed in darkness once again.
Yay! Thank you Itachi-kun! She exclaimed. Then she turned to Ren. C'mon, bro. Let's do it.
Ren's guard nodded, and flashed through the corridors of the library, Asuka following.
 
Asuka's body coughed heavily, blood coming out from her lungs, and from the guard ones.
`Shit' she thought, cleaning the guard's face with the back of his hand. Ren, speed up. I'm going to die. And I'm not joking. She told her cousin, who nodded, and stopped in front of a shelf.
He grabbed a couple of scrolls, and quickly opened them to see if they were the correct ones, and replaced them with copies.
 
They ran back towards the door.
 
“HEI!”
 
The two boys froze at the sound of the unknown voice. They quickly hid the scrolls under the large Oto uniforms, and kept on walking with a steady but quiet pace.
 
“Honjo, Nakama, what are you doing inside here?” another guard asked, a lamp in his hand.
Asuka breathed deeply and said, scanning the man's mind to find what she was looking for.
 
“Calm down, Murasaki, calm down. We were just cheking, because we heard some noises coming from one of the windows” Asuka's guard said. Calling the other guard by name had apparently reassured him, because he lowered the lamp.
 
“Goddamn trees. They should cut a few branches, because every time there's a strong wind they hit the windows…” Ren added.
 
“You're right, mate” Murasaki nodded.
 
“It really looked like someone had tried to crash the window's glass…honestly, tomorrow I go and cut those goddamn branches.” Asuka tried to look annoyed.
 
Three tolls were heard. It was three o'clock in the night.
 
“Ah! Changing of the guard. Koyuki is about to arrive…go to sleep you guys. I think I can deal with some rotten branches and a dusty library.” Murasaki said.
 
Ren yawned. “See you, man.” He said. Asuka just waved, and both slowly walked down the corridor.
 
At the first corner the turned, they sighed, looked into each other's eyes and sighed. But Asuka's coughing, followed by Ren, suggested them to get going.
Asuka called Shisui, and told him to wait for them closer to the gate.
 
When the two guards went out of the building, they saw Itachi and Shisui carrying their bodies. Itachi grabbed the scrolls, while Asuka and Ren sat their guests' bodies on a nearby bench.
 
“Now” said the red head, who was Asuka, “run”.
 
Itachi and Shisui disappeared into the darkness.
 
Almost a kilometre later, when they were sure to be hidden and safe, the two Yoshizumi released their jutsus.
 
Ren coughed, and brought his hands to his face, massaging his temples.
Asuka, on the other hand, simply stood in the arms of Shisui.
“That…that was just too much.” She whispered.
 
And fainted.