Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Who knew... ❯ 20. A LAUGH FROM THE DARKNESS ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

20. A LAUGH FROM THE DARKNESS
 
Once again, Shisui repeated the plan in his mind.
Ok.
So…
Basically, they had gotten Osagawa's trust, with the scrolls thing.
Right.
And now, Osagawa had required the four of them to escort the man who was to deliver the scrolls to a certain someone.
A certain someone.
That was all they knew about the mysterious figure, which they believed was Orochimaru himself.
But they wouldn't let the scrolls be delivered, no way. They weren't supposed to meet Orochimaru.
Asuka and Itachi would take care of retrieving the goddamn scrolls…while they would prepare them the way out. They included himself, Ren, Yoshizumi-san and Kakashi.
In the meanwhile, other Konoha nins were supposed to arrest the Osagawas for dealing in illicit goods, and for having to do with most dangerous missing nins.
He was supposed to take the scrolls and run, in case something wrong happened.
And kami-sama knew how much he wanted everything to go right. Perfectly.
 
He took his mask, and heard a knock on the door.
“Come in” he said, untying the lace behind the tori-shaped mask.
Asuka was wearing her Anbu uniform, too, and carried the tora-mask in her hand. She had a katana on her back, and her hair was combed into an elegant chignon, a few bangs on her forehead.
“Hei, Shisui-kun. Just dropped by because I wanted to see if you were…I mean, if you were alright.” She said, a light, worried smile on her lips.
Shisui thought about lying, about telling her that he had never felt so excited before. He put on an honest smile, and told her “I'm worried sick. Really.”. The Uchiha moved a few steps towards the kunoichi, who put an arm around his shoulders, reassuringly. “So am I, Shisui-kun. I think I've never been more afraid before.” There was a pause. “Don't tell Itachi that I'm scared” the two teens said at the unison. They looked into each other's eyes and burst into a nervous laughter, and fell lying on the boy's bed. Asuka felt a burden in her heart, and so did Shisui. “Ne, Shisui-kun, you know what scares me the most?” the girl moved a dark lock from her eyes.
“Mmm, let me guess. Is that about a certain snake-Sannin? Because that's what I fear, too.” The girl nodded, and Shisui went on. “You know, if it was all about Osagawa's men, or even other ninja, I wouldn't be so scared. We could handle them. But Orochimaru…Orochimaru gives me the creeps.” Asuka sighed. “Shisui, let's drop this ninja thing and let's go living in an island in the country of Waves, sitting on the beach and fishing for the rest of our miserable traitors lives.” Shisui shook her hand. “Deal.”
 
At that moment, the door of the room opened, and Asuka's father entered. “It's time to dance.” He said. The two boys stood up, and headed towards the door.
Before Asuka went out, her father grabbed her hand, and pulled his daughter into a tight embrace. “Love you, Acchan. Just know that your mother and I are proud of you. Be careful. I know you're a big girl, that you're stronger than many shinobi, but be careful.” Asuka smiled and gave him a peck on the cheek. “You're talking as if I'm going to die. Don't mind dad, as you said, I'm a big girl, I can handle myself. And” she added, breaking the embrace, “you managed to knock some sense into me. I know when to…well, when to run and hide. I have absolutely no will to be KIA because of pride or whatever. Besides, you should be the one paying attention, old man!” she smiled, and disappeared into the dark corridor.
 
* * *
 
Three ninja wearing Oto forehead protectors were standing at the gate of Osagawa's residence, soon joined by four Konoha Anbu, masks on.
“Oh, look who's there” an Oto nin joked “Konoha's most loyal Anbu!”. It was a flash.
Asuka was behind him, a kunai on the man's throat. “Don't mess with us.”
Her voice was dripping venom, and under her mask was a satisfied grin. Finally, finally she could let all the disgust for shinobi that really betrayed their country to work with criminals show.
“Now, now. Don't harm my man, Anbu-san” a voice said.
Asuka turned and let the man go. “Hai, Osagawa-san.” She said, no trace of apology in her voice.
Itachi, who had been silent up to that moment, put a hand on her shoulder, and coming closer whispered “Calm down, Asuka-chan. I'm here.”.
Asuka was nervous, and if she hadn't been on a mission, she would have surely jumped at the chance to make a scene for that `I'm here'. But she was on a mission, so she just took the words for what they were: the only kind of sweet support that would escape the Uchiha's lips. And she was thankful for that.
“Osagawa-san.” Itachi nodded in greeting, and Osagawa put a hand on his shoulder.
“Don't disappoint me, boys.” The old man said.
The Konoha Anbus nodded, as well as the Oto shinobis.
And with a sign of Osagawa's hand, they were gone.
 
* * *
 
Black figures were jumping from branch to branch, silently following the three Oto nins, who were running through the wood. Again, the moonlight barely lightened the shinobis' path, hardly penetrating between the thick net of branches and leaves.
 
They had been proceeding for about half an hour, when the Oto nins stopped.
 
Four masked Anbu froze in their positions.
 
Trying their best to conceal their chakra, the shinobi were still and silent, waiting.
 
Ren, sitting on the same branch as Asuka, whispered in his cousin's ear “Ne, Asuka-chan. is this really where they are supposed to meet with…well, whoever they're supposed to meet?”
The girl nodded.
 
This was the most isolated, desolated piece of wood she had ever seen. It was a small opening between the trees, almost round, and it looked completely lifeless. That was such a cliché, for criminals to meet in such a place…
 
Actually, she didn't expect Orochimaru to come. If he was the one they were supposed to give the scroll, that is. Well, they wouldn't be there to see.
 
Itachi coughed lightly.
 
That was the sign.
 
Ren closed his eyes and scanned the surroundings with the Dokushinjutsu. He shook his head.
 
“Whether there is no one, or they are concealing their chakra signatures absolutely perfectly.” He said, once he had his eyes opened.
The girl shook her shoulders; “Just pay attention, then.”
 
Asuka breathed deeply. Right. `Now it's my time to shine…man, I'm such a baka.' The kunoichi closed her eyes, and reopened them. She felt cold shivers, like every time she used the Ishigan.
 
She looked at the Oto nin. Three…two…one…the three men jumped, and froze in the position they were in. Awesome, it worked.
 
Now, Itachi.
 
The boy was already forming hand seals to evocate a Genjutsu on the unlucky trio, in order to let them believe that they had given the scroll to the right `customer'.
 
Shisui flashed to the ground, and grabbed the scrolls from the Oto nin's pocket.
 
He raised his arm, and the Anbu fled.
 
* * *
`That was way too easy.' The girl thought, while speeding up to the Osagawa's residence. Kakashi and her father, with the Anbu from Konoha and Oto, probably had already proceeded to arrest the whole criminal family.
 
And so it was.
 
They found Kakashi leaning on a tree, and her father speaking to some Konoha Anbu.
 
They kneeled before him, waiting for him to ask them the report of the mission.
 
“Boys! Done? Already? That's wonderful!” Shin said, happily.
 
“Taichou” Shisui called him, and handed him the scroll with both hands.
 
“Perfect. Arigatou, Shisui. The mission was a complete success!” the man said, grabbing the scrolls.
 
“Shin-san!” an Anbu called her father. Asuka smiled. Shin. Shin. Like her little brother. Her father was called Shinji, and so was her little brother. But they both were called Shin. Oh, she missed that brat. She really did.
 
“Man, I'm tired…” Ren complained. “I want to sleep…” Shisui added. Itachi just stood, silently.
“NO! No way! We're going home, NOW!” Asuka exclaimed.
 
“We really are, Asuka-chan. Your father was asked by the Hokage to hurry to Konoha, as soon as he had gathered the scrolls. So, boys, we're leaving!” the Hatake Kakashi had his arm around Asuka's shoulder. Going home…That meant, seeing, her family, her friends…and no more stupid pills!! She could be her own thirteen-years-old self, now…oh, she had missed her body. Yosh!!!
 
“Kakashi-sempai!” she cheered happily, and hugged him, in a spur of the moment.
 
The man thanked the dark mask he always wore. This little witch always managed to make him blush.
 
* * *
They were walking into the woods, just the six of them. The rest of the Konoha Anbu, who had come to help in the capture of the Osagawa clan, had to stay in Oto for another couple of days.
 
Ah, travelling into the night, free of every burden, was awesome.
 
Asuka was chatting with Ren on some random topic, and the rest of them were silent.
 
Suddenly, she saw her father fall down, as if he had fainted.
 
“Dad!!!” she screamed running towards the man, who was lying senseless on the ground. “Ren! Ren! Come here, help me!” she called her cousin, and when she heard no reply, she turned to look at him.
 
Ren was lying on the grass as well.
 
And so was Shisui.
 
And so was Kakashi.
 
Itachi moved into a defence stance. “Asuka! This is a jutsu…someone has been following us.” Asuka laid her father on the grass, grabbed her katana, and approached Itachi.
 
A low laugh emerged from the darkness.