Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Who knew... ❯ 25. IMPOSSIBLE HAPPY ENDING ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

25. IMPOSSIBLE HAPPY ENDING
 
Asuka had tried avoiding thinking about him.
 
She really did.
 
And even if the thoughts crossing her mind were everything but tender or warm, she still thought about the young Uchiha. Her young Uchiha. The one she was engaged to.
 
And here she was again.
 
Tomoyo and Hitomi had told her more than once to stop thinking about him, about the elders, about the wedding and the engagement, about the whole thing. But it was easier said than done.
 
She was greeted by people on the street complimenting her for the engagement, or by kunoichi giving her hateful looks, fan boys begging her to chose them, or, even worse, by old Uchihas wishing her to give Konoha nice, strong little Uchiha boys.
 
Thankfully, there was Kakashi.
 
He was always by her side, in those last few days, literally. They were still sharing his apartment, after that Ren, followed by her little brother Shin, had brought her stuffs, waiting for a flat to be free. The Hokage said that she wouldn't have to wait much…
 
The Hokage.
 
The old man surely had surprised her.
 
She was afraid that he wouldn't have been particularly happy with what she had done…she had refused to go to the Hokage tower alone, and had forced Kakashi to accompany her…poor Kakashi, he really was a sweetheart.
Well, the Hokage had hugged her. He had hugged her close, as if she had been his granddaughter…and she had been pretty shocked by that. Her grandfather never hugged her that way.
 
He hugged her, and told her that everything was going to be fine. He agreed with her that they hadn't been honest with her, but he also scolded Asuka for threatening (because she had threatened them) her clan's elders…
 
“Did you get to speak to Itachi-kun, Asuka-chan?” the old man had asked, sincerely worried for her. Asuka had blushed, when she had confessed that the last contact she had with Itachi consisted in…a punch…in the stomach.
 
The Hokage had burst into laughter, and she had followed him. After all, she thought, I am still a stupid little girl…
 
She had been amazed by the Hokage; she had always seen the old man with respect, of course, and with love, because he protected all the inhabitants of the village…but now she knew that he really cared for them, like a grandfather would.
 
Kakashi had been waiting outside of the Hokage's office; under the mask, the kunoichi was sure, was hidden an `I-told-you'-like smile…
 
But he was her Kakashi, and he was trying his best to keep her mind busy.
 
First of all, he tried his best to pay attention to her, and not to his dirty orange books. And the girl thought that this was the biggest proof of affection Kakashi could provide.
 
He brought her out to dinner, mostly to Ichiraku, ok, but still…
And he brought her breakfast in bed, and ice cream or cold fruit juice after training…she thought that if she ever got a boyfriend, she would definitely want him to be Kakashi.
 
And in her thought she stressed the word `boyfriend', repeating it once or twice, boyfriend, not fiancé.
 
After all, there had to be a reason for her to have that huge crush on the white haired jounin for all those years. She suspected that whatever she felt for him, she would never stop feeling it.
 
`Stop daydreaming, girl. First of all, you are engaged to be married; no room for feelings or romance. And second…and perhaps more important, Kakashi will never see you like more than a little sister.' The girl sighed, as she locked the door of the young man's flat, heading towards the training ground, where she was supposed to meet with the girls, Ren, and Shisui.
 
Oh, Shisui.
 
Shisui was as angry with Itachi as she was.
 
He was mad at him, for real. And so was Ren. Tomoyo and Hitomi had to stop the two of them with a jutsu, to forbid them to go hunting for the long haired Uchiha.
 
The girl smirked at the thought. Poor Orochimaru. She was definitely not alone.
 
* * *
Kakashi was walking down the path leading to the training grounds, Icha Icha in his tight hand, and a plastic bag hanging on his left arm.
 
But, weird enough, the jounin was not paying attention to the erotic adventures of the characters.
 
His mind was focused on a certain dark haired kunoichi.
 
Shit.
 
The Hokage had told him to behave. The Uchihas had threatened him, but he knew it was all about pride. Asuka's elders hadn't dared threaten the Copy Nin; but surely they suggested him not to even think about touching the Yoshizumi heir, not even with one finger.
 
And since they had begun sharing the bed, ok, a huge bed, and they slept quietly and far enough not to touch even on mistake, well, since they had been sharing the same bed…his mind had gone wild.
 
He would turn a sleeping, peaceful Asuka into a man-eater; he fantasized about…wild kisses and even wilder making out sessions. Shit. With a 13-years-old girl. He was a paedophile.
At least, when he was sure that she couldn't see him and locked himself in the bathroom, he took care of his `manly problems' trying his best to think about all-grown-up Asuka, and not the innocent girl in the other room.
 
As if that was enough.
 
Truth was, the purity of the girl intrigued him. He found avoiding temptations harder and harder.
Of course, he wouldn't do anything she didn't want to happen.
 
He thought that a kiss…one, single, unique, chaste kiss would satisfy him. Yes, that would be enough.
 
LIAR.
 
The white haired jounin kicked random pebbles on the path.
 
Liar. Liar. Liar. You wouldn't be satisfied with just a kiss.
 
A chaste kiss!
 
Who was he kidding??? He wanted the girl so badly it hurt, and yeah, it really did hurt.
 
That Uchiha brat. Kakashi was sure, completely, unmistakably sure that the Uchiha brat had something to do with the engagement thing. He knew the boy seemed interested in his favourite kunoichi…and probably he had pushed just a little bit into that direction.
 
What was he thinking?
 
The Uchiha-Yoshizumi wedding was logical.
 
Of course, it was logic, Asuka was the best candidate at the moment, for the brat…the Hyuuga baby girl was just too little, and Uchihas and Hyuugas never had good relationships. Age was a problem for the Yamanaka girl, too… but there were the Inuzuka, and the Aburame girls! Asuka-chan's friends!
 
He thought. Mmm, the Inuzuka. An Uchiha would never marry an Inuzuka. He could imagine, the Uchiha elders' faces, utter disgust painted all over…no, they probably hadn't even considered their bright, fascinating, well-behaved, powerful heir marrying an Inuzuka, too chaotic, too disrespectful…and an Aburame? The Aburame clan was well known, feared, respected, and strong; but Kakashi himself thought that that bug thing was…rather creepy.
 
This is it. Asuka was the perfect candidate. And the same was for Itachi to Asuka. They would have formed the perfect couple, each of them incredibly hot, strong, respected…alone. Unloved. That's the problem. In their wedding, love would lack! Kakashi was sure of that. No, he wasn't.
 
God damn.
 
Kakashi knew about Itachi's attraction to Asuka. And now, courtesy of Asuka, he knew about the girl's blossoming feelings for the dark haired teen. The young jounin sighed. If there wasn't an arranged wedding…maybe Asuka and Itachi would have ended up together anyways.
 
When was it, that Asuka had stopped adoring him and had begun looking at the Uchiha?
 
He wasn't sure.
 
But the Uchiha wasn't going to have her. Feelings, arranged wedding, clan bonds…screw it all.
 
* * *
There was nothing wrong with him.
 
Itachi was lying on the grass, in the middle of the Uchiha training grounds.
 
And that's exactly what was wrong.
 
Uchiha Itachi! Lying around! Not training!
 
Eyes closed, he seemed peacefully asleep.
 
He had his left hand behind his head, and the right one resting on his stomach. On a precise spot.
 
He replayed the scene in his mind again and again.
 
Asuka, eyes glowing with fury, tears beginning to stain her cheeks…
 
She had let him hug her.
She had let him kiss her cheeks.
She had buried her face in his neck.
And then, she had spoken…
 
I thought I was in love with you…
 
In that moment he had felt his stone cold heart jump. But before he could rejoice, before he could properly think about what she had told him…she had stabbed his heart. She had stabbed him more than once, verbally, and then with the shattered expression of her chocolate eyes, before hitting him with a strong fist in the stomach, leaving him both shocked and aching.
 
Why, Itachi? Why didn't you tell me anything? I trusted you with my life
Why, Itachi?
Why, Itachi?
Why, Itachi?
 
The Uchiha's eyes shot open.
 
Right.
 
Why, Itachi? Why didn't you tell her? Why the fuck didn't you tell her?
 
Why didn't you tell her as soon as your father told you, why didn't you tell her how you felt, why didn't you tell her your doubts, your uncertainties, your worries?
 
Itachi wasn't happy about the arranged wedding, either.
 
He felt something for Asuka, yes, he did. But that wasn't enough to get married! More than that. He had other plans. And his plans, well, his plans didn't include wedding. A wife. Little Uchihas, little Yoshizumis.
 
He had daydreamed about an happy life, where Asuka and him would spend their youth together, like comrades, friends, lovers… they would have shared laughter and tears, learnt to love, oh, he wanted to make love with her, that was for sure…he would have proposed, on his knees, and she would have hugged him and kissed him. They would have been living together, in the Yoshizumi or in the Uchiha mansion, or in a house of their own, that wasn't important. He would have hold her every night, kissed her good morning every morning, and people would have envied them, young, in love, passionate, beautiful, strong, wealthy…
 
The young Uchiha smirked.
 
No.
 
His plans didn't include a happy ending.