Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Who knew... ❯ 26. STALKING ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

26.
 
“STOP STALKING ME!!!” a very enraged dark haired kunoichi shouted to a very indifferent raven haired shinobi.
 
“And you are supposed to be a ninja??? Ninja aren't supposed to be noticed when following someone! Now disappear, die, go somewhere else, whatever, just GO AWAY! I don't want to see your face!!!” the girl, usually rather well mannered and calm shouted to the boy, who had simply raised his eyebrow, as if what the kunoichi was shouting didn't affect him.
 
Asuka had tried avoiding the young Uchiha.
She really did.
 
She avoided the Yoshizumi compound, dangerously close to the Uchiha's.
She avoided the training grounds where Itachi used to train.
She generally avoided Uchihas in general, except for Shisui, Sasuke-chan and Mikoto-san.
 
Too bad the boy happened to be everywhere she was.
She saw him quite too often.
 
Walking down the same streets, entering the same shops, grabbing the same books in the library, ordering the same food…
 
Asuka was not stupid. Centuries of top notch genes had met in her, after all, she was the Yoshizumi's genius, as much as he was the Uchiha's one.
 
Uchiha Itachi was stalking her.
Literally.
 
Oh, but he was a wise stalker. It always appeared pure coincidence, a mere accident.
 
`Wise my ass' Asuka thought, furious.
 
“What makes you think that I am following you, Asuka-chan?” Itachi, literally amused, replied with a smirk. How he loved to tease the Yoshizumi girl.
 
Asuka smiled warmly. “Itachi-san, I hate it when you act like a vain, over-confident jerk full of his own badass. All I'm asking of you is that you leave me alone, until our…” she inhaled deeply “wedding day.” She spat out, sounding a little bit disgusted.
 
Itachi seemed hurt, because his overconfident smirk faded.
 
“Listen, Asuka-chan…I didn't mean to hide it from you. I didn't mean to hurt you. Seriously.” He said softly, approaching her.
 
Asuka looked surprised; Itachi saying sorry? She took a step back. `Don't fall for his charms, girl.' The kunoichi thought.
“If you really didn't want to hurt me, you should have told me as soon as you knew what our wicked families were planning. Itachi…you still didn't tell me why you did that. I thought that I could trust you” her voice was now low, and she was trying her best to fight back the tears “your betrayal hurts. It really does.” She looked away, and then began to walk.
“I was….`stalking you', as you graciously pointed out, in order to let you know that we both are officially invited to a…family dinner.” He said, turning and beginning to walk away, too.
The Yoshizumi girl froze in her steps.
“We are…dinner…what?!?” she said, hurrying toward the boy, who was wearing a most satisfied smirk, which he hid as the girl stepped in front of him.
“My, my, Asuka-chan. Didn't you just say that you didn't want to see my face until the wedding day?” he asked, mockingly.
Asuka was used to the Uchiha's mocking, but that didn't mean that she hadn't the right to be mad at him, right?
“YOU MORON! Stop acting as if nothing happened! My freakin' future husband, if I wasn't too disgusted by your evil deeds to touch you I would strangle you with my bare hands!!!” Itachi raised a brow.
“Asuka-chan, my gracious future wife, I never thought you had it in you. Such a pretty girl shouldn't behave like that…in public, especially.” He said.
Asuka took a quick look around…all the people in that goddamn street was staring at them. And, most specifically at her.
 
She sighed in frustration, grabbed him by the wrist, and began dragging the smirking boy somewhere safer.
 
* * *
 
“Ok, Uchiha. Sit, and tell me everything. And, if I may, I am stressing particularly the word `everything', as you got this annoying attitude to…mmm…let's say, forget…to forget to tell me what you may call details. Such as our engagement, to make an example.” The Yoshizumi girl, arms crossed on her chest and standing in all her height commanded.
 
“I love it when you play bossy” he teased her.
 
“You know, I liked you better when you were an anti-social silent bastard.”
 
“Oh, that's not true, Asuka-chan. remember what you told me that night? That you were beginning to have feelings for me? Now, I don't believe that you were talking about hate. Actually” and he paused “I believed you were beginning to love me.”
 
Inner Asuka's jaw dropped. Ok, he was right.
“That was before I found out what kind of a snakey bastard you are. Compared to you, Orochimaru is a good little boy.”
 
“Don't you think I will nor tolerate neither allow this kind of rude manners, when you will be my wife, Asuka-chan.”
 
“Stop calling me Asuka-chan. it is just for close people, like friends. And you are not my friend. And don't think I will allow you to see my face much, when you will be my husband.”
 
Silence.
Uncomfortable, full, silent, silence.
Wind, falling leaves. Autumn was now in its fullest shape, and the air was rather cool. Summer days, baths in the river and the summer festival seemed long gone.
 
“This is leading us nowhere, Asuka-chan” the boy said.
Pulling the sleeves of her long sleeved dark blue t-shirt to cover her hands, the girl just snorted.
 
“Asuka-ch…Asuka, I am to blame for not telling you the truth. But the engagement…it was not my fault. It is a decision that the elders of our clans took. And, if I may say so, I am happier being engaged to you than to a four years old child.” Itachi was playing with strands of grass.
 
Asuka's expression softened.
 
“I know Itachi.” She said, sitting beside him. “It's just that…I cant stand this situation. And I don't understand why it was decided not to tell me…it hurts.”
 
“You know, I still can't believe you punched me.”
 
“You deserved it.”
 
“…”
 
Asuka was beginning to feel cold; the sun was setting, and they had spent the whole afternoon there, mostly in silence.
 
“What happens now?” she asked, afraid of the answer.
 
Itachi sighed.
 
“We can't pretend nothing happened” the girl remarked.
 
Itachi was still silent.
 
* * *
A white haired jounin had spent the whole goddamn afternoon looking for his young favorite kunoichi. He had looked everywhere. Hell, he had also interrupted the reading of his book to look for her!
 
When he had asked to the owner of the Ichiraku, the man had replied that he had seen the Yoshizumi girl…well, screaming at Uchiha Itachi, and then grabbing him by the wrist, dragging the boy somewhere. “They already look like a married couple”, the old man had added, smiling morbidly.
 
Kakashi couldn't fight back a sigh. He was frustrated. Why did everyone think that Asuka and the Uchiha were the happiest of couples???
 
Of course, none of them knew about Asuka's outburst when she was told about the engagement; and none of them knew that it had been kept secret to the girl. Did it even matter? They didn't understand the situation.
 
Asuka was with the Uchiha?
…he absolutely had to find her.
 
* * *
 
Asuka was leaning her back on a tree, thinking.
“Ne, Itachi” she began “didn't you come to look for me to tell me something? Or was it just an excuse?”. The girl had her legs against her chest, and was playing with a fallen leaf, tearing it into tiny little pieces.
 
“Hn.” He replied.
 
“Ok, then. I'm going.” And she moved as if to stand up.
 
“There is a dinner” Itachi said, grabbing her wrist and having her sitting back.
 
“Oh, so now you're back to your talkative self? It's creepy, those sudden changes of mood are frightening.” Asuka joked.
 
Itachi snorted. “Well, there's a dinner, and you're invited. Well, of course you are. It's the official presentation to our clans.”
 
“Oh, awesome.” She commented, eyes closed and back resting once again on the tree.
 
* * *
`The training grounds! Kakashi, you baka, that was obvious!' the white haired jounin thought. It was already getting dark, and knowing that his Asuka-chan was alone with the Uchiha didn't make him feel at ease.
 
He was lucky, and found them at the first try. But wait…they were talking. Not screaming, not fighting, and not even training. Shit. `Ok, calm down Kakashi. It can be good for Asuka.' He thought, as he approached the two young Anbu, hiding in the trees, using his best shinobi techniques not to be noticed.
 
Itachi was talking.
“Well, there's a dinner, and you're invited. Well, of course you are. It's the official presentation to our clans.”
 
“Oh, awesome.” Asuka commented, eyes closed and back resting on the tree behind her.
 
“You don't even make an effort to seem happy to attend, do you?” he asked. `She's already doing a great job in hiding her disgust, Uchiha' Kakashi thought.
 
“Why should I?” was the girl's reply. `Yeah, teme, why should she?”
 
“I don't know. No, maybe you shouldn't.” `Stop acting the comprehensive guy, Itachi, we know you better than that.'
 
There was an awkward silence, but then Itachi spoke again.
 
“Asuka-chan…what…what exactly did you mean, when you said that you thought you were beginning to have feelings for me?”
 
Kakashi shivered. `Yeah, right, Asuka-chan, what did you mean?' the silver haired jounin had thought more than once at the words she had told him when she had knocked crying on his door.
 
“You know, Kakashi-sempai…I thought I had begun having feelings for…for Itachi.”
Oh, how could he forget? He had felt the urge to behead the Uchiha bastard.
 
Asuka said nothing.
 
“Asuka-chan?” Itachi looked at the girl, whose eyes were closed.
 
`She can't have fallen asleep…right?' Kakashi wondered `My, Asuka-chan! I wanted to know!'
 
But then he tensed, when he saw what Itachi was doing.
 
Itachi…Itachi was coming dangerously close to Asuka-chan! `Bastard! What do you want to do?!?'
 
Itachi's hand was caressing the sleeping girl's face, while he was still moving closer.
 
Nothing more than a couple of centimeters separated them, and Kakashi was growing nervous.
 
The young Uchiha kept on moving closer, almost closing the distance between him and his fiancé. And he placed a quick kiss, more a peck than a kiss, at the corner of her lips.
 
Asuka's eyes flashed open.
 
And Kakashi jumped down from the branch he was sitting in.
 
“Get away from her, Uchiha.”