Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Wild Days ❯ We are such big idiots ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto.

Chapter 5: We are such big idiots

"Kiba, you can't just walk right into their camp!" Shino hissed.

"Why not?"

"Do you want to get killed, or caught?"

"Yes."

Shino blinked. "I don't think I heard that. What?"

"I want to get caught. They'll stick around until tomorrow morning at the very least, and they'll go over what they've learned tonight. If I get caught, I stand a good chance at hearing their plans." Kiba caught a frown forming on Shino's face, and sighed. "I'll even let you infest me with those damned bugs of yours, alright? Just make sure you get them all off afterwards." He shuddered. "I hate bugs."

"Kiba, what if they decided to kill first and ask questions later?"

"Then I hope I can move fast enough to survive. I think I should go in as a civilian, you know? Work pants, woodsman's vest, turn Akamaru brown." Kiba threw on a carefree grin. "I bet it'd work."

"Kiba, that's risky."

"No riskier than trying to fight them all just to capture one. This way we can hear their plans, maybe capture one out of surprise when I lift my disguise and Akamaru's. You come swarming in with your bugs and they're toast, just like that!" He slammed a fist into his other hand. "Instant success, one way or another."

Put that way, it actually did make a bit of sense. With some tweaking anyway. "Alright Kiba, but I've got a suggestion for you..." Shino's voice faded to a whisper just in case any observers were near enough to hear.

Kiba listened intently nodding occasionally and never losing his grin.

--------------------

"Hey, the Captain decided where to put us, so we're here like it or not!" The bearded man exclaimed, looking back and forth between his two team-members.

"You accepted the orders! I would've at least suggested something a bit nicer!"

"That's what the squad before us did, and they got assigned to Jinta's Pass."

The other two's eyes widened.

"Jinta's Pass? I'd rather be assigned to hell."

"Or to assassinate Tsunade."

"We did get that assignment."

"Oh, yeah. Well, I prefer it, anyway."

"I wonder how Rikka's doing. She was in that squad twenty-seven, you know." The shorter blond sighed. "She'll never come back again, will she Obi?"

"Oh, Jinta's not that bad--" Obi began, only to be interrupted when the warning call for an intruder sounded. "Damn!"

Shino was the one who walked into the middle of a bustling camp, not Kiba. And Shino was the one who was stopped in his tracks by kunai tickling his throat and chest. Shino was looking extremely nervous, just like any normal civilian would be.

Except he wasn't a civilian, even though the nervousness wasn't feigned. Kiba had taken his glasses, his coat, most of his ninja gear, and his shirt. He said it was because it was a better disguise. He said it was because a young man out for an evening jog wouldn't be wearing a shirt when he left or returned because he would be trying to show off, and that Shino wasn't bad to look at anyway. Then he'd shoved his uncomfortable friend into the middle of the road and climbed a tree before Shino could respond.

Shino decided to go with it. He'd never actually paid much attention to Kiba outside their morning walks and missions together. In one week he'd found out that Kiba was gay, fought in ranking matches like a dog, and, he thought Shino 'wasn't bad to look at'.

He sprinted down the road to increase his breathing and work up a sweat, then dropped into a light jog. When he stepped into the camp, he seemed perfectly normal. Thanks to his bugs, even his chakra level was suitably low.

The kunai didn't drop away as fast as they would have if the guys were amateurs. "Ummm... Hi?"

The blades didn't twitch. The man behind him spoke. "Boss, what do we do with him?"

"He won't know anything, he just looks like a normal kid." A gruff voice to Shino's right spoke. The bearded man came into view. "Either we keep him as a hostage, or we kill him. What's your name, kid?"

"K-Kiba Takuru." A stutter covered up the slight hesitation.

"I don't suppose you happen to have a rich father, Kiba?"

"N-no. We live in the forest. Woodcutters, although my Pa can make real good furniture. He's got a real fancy chair he made for Ma." He made to continue, but was stopped by a gesture.

"Obi."

"Yeah, Boss?"

"Tie him up for now. I'll think about what to do with him."

"Got it boss." The kunai vanished from Shino's throat, and he lifted a hand, trying to act like an outgoing, frightened young man. When they grabbed his hand and twisted it behind him, he forced a yelp. "Calm down, kid. We ain't gonna hurt ya." Shino could've sworn he heard a 'yet' added to the man's statement.

"I-I gotta be back for dinner!" He stammered loudly. "Pa just hates it when we come home late! And I need to meet my little brother. He's coming back from the city this evening, and I was s'posed to meet him!"

"Shut it kid, or I'll have to gag ya, too, instead of just tying ya up." The rope tied around Shino's hands was looped around a tree in a complicated pattern.

"But I-" A sharp tug on the rope convinced Shino he'd talked enough.

"Good. Now stay put, will ya?" As he wandered back to his own seat, he chuckled.

"Shino?" A voice hissed down the tree.

"Kiba?" He whispered back, careful not to move his lips.

"How's it going?"

"They're thinking about what to do with me. The guy with a beard is the leader. They're very jumpy, and Obi, the dark one, seems to have a cruel streak, but he's afraid of his boss, so he didn't do anything to me." Shino said shortly. "I don't think they have a fourth member."

He didn't miss the hint of anger in Kiba's voice. "I'da hurt him right back." He stated, forgetting for a moment he was supposed to be quiet.

"Shhh!"

Kiba fell silent for a moment. "Sorry. What'd you tell them?"

"That my name was Kiba Takuru, and I had a little brother I was supposed to meet. When I went into that they told me to shut up." He kept a steady glare on the fire, so any time the men glanced at him, they thought he was just angry at them, and not muttering to anyone in particular if they heard anything. "And they are thinking of using me as a hostage, though I'm not sure what for."

"I don't like that."

"Hn." Shino agreed. "Let's wait it out. See what they do. I really wish I had my shirt." He grumbled.

"Is it that bad?" Kiba whined.

"The bark is digging into my back, and it is beginning to get dark, which means it will get cold."

"Once it does get dark, I can keep you warm." Kiba said slowly. "But we have to be careful I don't get seen."

"I'll be fine Kiba. You don't have to risk it."

Kiba snorted quietly, earning himself another hush. "Yeah right. You wouldn'ta said anything if you were gonna be fine. You get cold easy, that's why you wear that coat all the time."

"That coat was designed over generations to provide exactly what the Aburame family needed as ninja."

"I didn't say it wasn't! But the bugs eat your chakra, and chakra helps keep you warm, so without chakra, you freeze."

Shino didn't reply, but grunted softly.

"Hey, Shino?"

"Hn?"

"Think you can shift around to this side of the tree? It's easier for me to hide." Kiba was hiding in the bushes away from the camp. Moving quietly, and slowly, Shino shifted carefully around the trunk of the thick tree, and Kiba tweaked the rope every time it got caught. "I'd give you my coat for now," Kiba said, "But then I'd get cold." He took the coat off anyway, and leaned against the tree next to Shino, spreading it over both of them. "Howzat?"

"Much warmer, thanks." But Shino couldn't sit still. Every time he got rid of one annoyance, three more rose in its place. "But this tree is -- uncomfortable, to say the least."

"Oh, I guess I'm used to roughing it." Kiba apologized. "Here, lean forward."

Shino obeyed, and Kiba slipped his arm behind Shino, between him and the rough bark. It made Shino infinitely more comfortable to have something between him and the tree. "Get some sleep Shino. I'll wake you up before dawn."

Shino yawned. They had received the mission just after he and his father had returned, because it was expected to be quick and easy. It was anything but quick, and it didn't look like easy was on the menu. "Thanks Kiba, but we should sleep in shifts anyway. You need sleep too."

"Alright Shino. I'll wake you later."

"You'd better." Shino closed his eyes, drifting into a light doze.

Two hours later, it went unnoticed to Kiba that a light mist was falling in the air around them. He stifled a yawn. Maybe I ought to wake Shino up. He thought. Nah. I'll give him another hour. He needs the sleep more than I do. He shifted, and the edge of his coat lifted, letting in the cold air. Damn. He moved closer to Shino's warmth. And I thought he'd be cold. Lulled by the quiet and the warmth, Kiba's eyes drifted closed, and he too fell into sleep.

--------------------

Akamaru trotted around the large bush Kiba had hidden their gear in once again. Kiba was supposed to be keeping his share of the watch from over by Shino, just like he was doing here. Hopefully he didn't fall asleep. Akamaru whuffed a laugh at the memory of the last time it had happened. Kiba hadn't been able to look anyone in the face for a week.

Everything was quiet. Akamaru sat, curling himself into a ball for warmth. He'd check again in a half hour.

--------------------

Kiba twisted away from the cold that bit at his back, wrapping his other arm around the warmth in front of him, gripping his other wrist to keep it from moving.

His eyes snapped open when he felt something wrap around both of his wrists. Shit!

He looked up at a scarred, veteran ninja. "Ummm... Hi?"

"That's what your friend said when we caught him. Who are you?" With his hands securely tied, Kiba couldn't exactly run away, so the man was somewhat relaxed.

"I'm his little brother. I couldn't get your knots undone, so I tried to keep him warm." Kiba stated in a meek voice.

"How kind of you." The man sneered. "Now you're caught too."

"I meant to leave before you came to get him!"

"You couldn't have. I drugged you."

"What!?" Kiba shouted, shocked. Shouldn't he have smelled it or something?

"Ki-huh?" Shino woke up with a jerk, and realized that another guy was standing over them.

"He drugged me." Kiba snarled. "Then he tied me up."

"What?"

"You heard me." He muttered sullenly.

"How?"

"I fell asleep."

Shino didn't say a word to him, but stretched his legs, getting the blood flowing. "Da's gonna kill us." He said conversationally, showing Kiba the type of personality he had taken on.

"You boys are awfully calm." The ninja above them said suspiciously.

Kiba answered him. "Freaking out wouldn't do us any good." They had switched roles. Shino was the older brother who had gotten basic schooling, while Kiba was the one with a greater education.

"Da told us if anything bad happened, to calm down, then think. Otherwise we'd just look stupid."

The ninja watched them for another moment, then turned and walked away.

"We are such big idiots." Kiba groaned slumping down.

--------------------

Kakashi was exhausted. The mission had taken longer than he'd expected, and Tsunade had scared off another secretary, which meant he'd had even more work to do. He was planning on a long, warm bath and a large dinner before bed. He also wasn't thinking very clearly, and that explained why he didn't know Iruka was in front of his door until he ran into him.

"Ahhhh--" He began, wondering how he could just hurry inside.

He didn't get the chance, before Iruka shoved something heavy and blocky into his hands, then started ranting about proper behavior, care of books, and not involving him in anything scandalous.

Ahhhhh-- He tried thinking instead.

It didn't work either, as Iruka poked him in the chest, retaining his attention. Then he poked him again as he continued to lecture, punctuating every 'point' with a poke.

Kakashi glared, and grabbed Iruka's hand to prevent him form doing it again. "I'm going inside. If you want to lecture me further, do so while I bathe." He growled, half-expecting the man to use the other hand to poke him, or pull a knife on him.

He wasn't expecting the schoolteacher to turn a bright red and start stuttering though. What had he said? Kakashi reviewed. Then thought about what he had gathered from Iruka's rant. Ah, that book. "You're always welcome to join me." He offered, not a hint of a grin under his mask.

"B-b-ba--" Iruka quit trying, simply opening Kakashi's door, shoving him in, and closing it again. Ack! He thought. Why would he invite me in?

The door cracked open again. "I was serious, you know." The door clicked back shut.

That's what I was afraid of! Iruka frowned. No, no wait. How can I be afraid of Kakashi? Besides, I still need to make sure he understands that books are not doodlepads, and that lesson books, are even less so. He waited a few more minutes, glaring at the door like he dared it to open again, then opened it himself. He didn't look alive enough to keep himself from drowning. He began to feel a bit bad about yelling. Maybe... I'll make him something to eat. Then I'll yell at him. He assured himself that he wasn't softening towards the man who humiliated him every chance he got.

Opening cupboards and searching the fridge, he found very little in the way of food. The idiot doesn't have any food in here worth eating, and I think that's a dead mouse. He's lucky there's a convenience store across the street. Iruka made good use of the place as he restocked Kakashi's kitchen. If he doesn't like what I got, that's too bad. He needs to eat healthy anyway. Thought of the ice cream packed in his own freezer didn't cross his mind, nor did the box of brownies he'd stuck in the back of Kakashi's cupboard.

Hmmm... What to make, what to make. He decided on easy. Omelettes. I can do those. He quickly cracked a halfdozen eggs into a bowl, whipping it quickly while a pan warmed up. Spooning half of it in, he chopped some meat and mushrooms. That'll do it. Not bad.

He stuck the completed omelette on the table, and began a second, this time with vegetables and cheese. He was just sliding it out of the pan when Kakashi stumbled in.

The man conveniently stopped before he ran into the table. "What're you doing here? Weren't you mad at me for something?" Damn, but the exhaustion really was getting to him. Iruka had never seen Kakashi this out of it before.

"I decided to take pity on you." He said, sticking both plates on the table. He pointed. "Meat and mushroom, and vegetable and cheese. Take your pick or eat them both. On second thought, don't bother choosing. Just eat them." He sat in the spare chair. "I restocked your kitchen by the way."

Kakashi didn't pause in eating.

"You have something dead in the fridge, and I think there's a dead mouse under the sink."

Still no response.

"You're an idiot."

Kakashi glared. Iruka gloated.

"Your home is in bad shape and you forgot your mask."

At that Kakashi froze, as if thinking furiously, then shrugged and continued eating as if it were of no consequence.

"You're not being very friendly when I made you dinner."

Kakashi glanced up. "Sorry. Tired, hungry, and generally miserable. Didn't mean to take it out on you."

Iruka sighed. "Yeah. I'll just lecture you on the book tomorrow. I can't believe you actually gave me that thing!" He fought back a furious blush. "What were you thinking, drawing me so many times!"

"Wasn't." Kakashi shrugged. "Just like drawing you."

Iruka dropped his head in his hands. I think he's gone insane. "You seriously need to get yourself together. Go to bed or something. I'll lecture you tomorrow, instead."

"So you're gonna stay over?"

"What?!" Iruka stared at the innocent seeming Kakashi. "No. No way. I'm going back to my home, and I'll come back here in the morning to make sure you don't kill yourself with your razor or something." Iruka headed for door.

"Well, bye then!" He heard behind him.

"Yeah, yeah."

He stalked down the streets on his way home. He'd definitely be back.

--------------------

[A/N] That certainly took me long enough, didn't it? So, please read and review, I appreciate the feedback. I just like to know who's out there.