Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Within the Pale White Light ❯ How to catch a Demon ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Well here’s chapter, 3 yep I’m defiantly on a roll. Anyway I’ve finally tried my hand in writing from Naruto’s perspective. I’ve attempted this before with horrible results. I just can’t seem to relate to a hyper loudmouth little boy (something a cousin of mine would have no problem with I’m sure J ) So to counter this problem I matured him a little, after all he’s in the 15-16 range in this story. I’ll try my best to stay true to his character though.

Also on another note a reviewer commented on the way I make the grunts talk. I know that in the game they talk all weird like. no keyb was what the reviewer said I believe. Well anyway I have a simple reason for not making them talk that way…its annoys the hell out of me.

Seriously I can’t stand it, and I’m willing the bet it annoys most readers as well. I’ve actually stopped reading stories because the author felt the need to spell out an accent or whatnot.

 

Naruto tensed his legs and with a sharp spike of Chakura jumped off one roof to another. He was still carrying fuzzy brow but that didn’t slow him down, even with Lee’s weights.

He wasn’t really sure what to make of all of this. This was weird even for the kyuubi vessel. Everything looked strange even the people.

Take the marines for example. They were obviously the fighting force here. The way they moved spoke of military training, but they didn’t use chakura.

Naruto stopped on the edge of one roof and looked down. They didn’t use Chakura or have any special abilities but he had to give them credit for the team work they were showing. The two healthy one’s protecting the civilians and their wounded.

He was curious about their weapons as well. They called it a gun? He wasn’t familiar with the name but maybe…

What do you think Kyuubi? You’ve been awfully quiet. Ever hear of a gun?

Naruto felt the rumble as the kyuubi shifted within him. He frowned as the Kyuubi once again neglected to say anything. That wasn’t normal for the vocal demon. Ever since Ero-Senin had taught him to call on the demon energy the wall between him and the kyuubi had been blurring. The Fox could talk to him at will now. It had been a rough summer with the fox and him bickering back and forth…but the Kyuubi and him had been slowly working on a type of relationship. Not that he loved the stupid fox, or even liked him. He talked non stop, constantly commenting on Naruto’s life and whatever it saw fit. It usually drove Naruto crazy but they managed to survive.

So why was Kyuubi being so quiet now. It worried him. Maybe this Covenant was something they should be worried about?

“Well fuzzy brow we really got into it this time.”

Naruto sighed as he jumped to the next roof. They were only a few blocks from that hotel he found. Although it would take forever with how fast they were going.

“I’m hungry.”

Naruto gasped as he suddenly realized something.

“NO!”

What if they don’t have RAMEN!! THE HORROR!

Do you have to yell brat!

Kyuubi!

Naruto instantly put Lee down as he sat down. The fox was finally talking so he best give him his full attention.

Why were you ignoring me earlier. We’re in trouble fox.

The Fox sighed as it shifted inside Naruto again.

You think I don’t know that Human! In fact it is trouble worse than you know.

Naruto blinked. What did that mean.

Never mind idiot just try not to die.

The fox started to retreat back into his stomach.

Oh and one more thing. Avoid the flood…at all cost.

“the flood? What the hell is a flood? Are you talking about the water kind of flood?”

Naruto frowned as once again the kyuubi refused to answer him. Looks like it was back to doing whatever it had been doing before.

“Great just great. Stupid fox. I‘ll be sure to watch out for lots of water.”

Naruto once again picked up Lee and then leapt away to catch up with his friends.

He wondered if he should warn Shikamaru about this flood thing. The thing was how did he explain the warning. No one knew of the fox and he sure as hell didn’t want to tell. Despite the fact him and fox were on talking terms now he still didn’t want to tell his friends.

What if they hate me. Most of the village does. I don’t think I can handle it if I lose my friends.

Naruto made it to the hotel with time to spare.

“Sheesh those people are slow. At this rate it will take days to get out of this city.”

Naruto frowned as he looked at the almost set sun. If this place was anything like his home then it would be dark in less than ten minutes. One of the marines had said the covenant came out at night to feed on the dead.

“All right then. Time for some cool ninja stealth and spying.”

Let Shikamaru be the boss if he wanted. Naruto had better things to do. Right now he wasn’t technically under Konoha law. He was on leave, training with ero-senin. That meant only his teacher and the Hokage had any power over him.

Smiling widely he dumped Lee onto a bed.

“I’ll show that covenant who’s boss.”

Punching the air Naruto opened the glass doors that lead to a balcony.

With a powerful push off Naruto was once again high flying over the rooftops

After having to carry fuzzy brow and his weights for the past few hours it felt like he was lighter than air.

“You know…if it wasn’t for all of the dead people I’d say this was a cool town.”

The buildings were so tall, not to mention shiny. With all the glass and metal it must have really been a sight to see in the height of the day.

The fox didn‘t answer. Which in itself was not nearly as annoying as the consistent shifting. It was quiet but that didn’t mean it was sleeping.

“Calm down already. You’re going to make me sick stupid fox.”

Naruto rubbed his belly.

He was 16 now. It felt like a lifetime but it was only 4 years since he learned about the fox. He’d almost lost everything that night. He almost lost Iruka-sensie, had almost lost his life not to mention being a criminal and all because of a stupid scroll.

He had almost lost his sanity. After all it wasn’t everyday one learned they had be sacrificed as a child. He’d been hated and scorned since the first day he’d been born. The legacy of the fox always overshadowing him.

Naruto’s fingers traced the outline of the seal on his stomach.

The seal was…well Naruto wasn’t sure what was happening. It wasn’t breaking. The fox was no closer to freedom than he had been before. But the seal was defiantly weaker. The fact they could communicate without traveling deep within the mind proved that.

The Kyuubi by no stretch of the imagination was easy to get along with. But it wasn’t quite as violent and hateful as it was when he’d first met it.

Naruto took another flying leap aiming for the top of a large vehicle when something strange happened. A terrible shifting in chakura hit Naruto with what felt like a sledge hammer. .

“Ack!”

He cried out startled as he lost control over his leap and pummeled into the street.

He hit the hard concrete with an audile THUD!. The impact was enough to knock the air out of him, causing him to gasp and whimper.

His limps spazmed out of control, every muscle in his body clinched and shook. He couldn’t even curl up.

The ground seemed to sway beneath him. His stomach flipped as a sense of vertigo hit him hard enough to steal his breath yet again.

What the hell!!

It hurt so bad. Felt like fire in his body as the Chakura inside him whipped around wildly out of control.

A seizure of some sort? KYUUBI Help!

Then just as quickly as it started it stopped. For several moments all Naruto could do was lay on the concrete as he tried to catch his breath. His limps felt funny, kind of tingly, like he had touched a live wire.

Kyuubi…talk to me you stupid fox. What the hell was that?

Withering around Naruto managed to prop himself up using the wheel of the truck as a back rest. His fingers still tingled terribly but the chakura waves had stopped.

Look around Naruto tried to focus on something…anything to gain his sense of balance back. Finally he focused on a brightly colored sign across the street. Had some sort of dog on it.

Wait a minute.

Shaking his head Naruto closed his eyes then opened them again. The sign was just as clear and bright as before. He could see it perfectly despite the distance and light.

I shouldn’t…what the fuck happened.

He shouldn’t be able to see it, the sun had set several minutes before. It was dark the street lit by only a far and few street lights. Looking around naruto was amazed. Naruto could see just as well now as he did during the day.

Slightly freaked out Naruto forced his limps to move as he tried to stand up.

The world was still moving around him slightly but he was able to find his feet.

“God I got a headache!”

Tilting his head he felt his neck pop. The movement sent little tinglies down his limbs.

Well…whatever that was its over. My legs are started to work again. My inner coils don’t feel any different? But what the hell, and why didn’t the kyuubi answer me. Wait…what if…!?

Gasping in panic Naruto forgot about the tingles and bolted toward the nearest window shedding his jacket and shirt as he went.

Did that have something to do with the seal, did it break? Is the Kyuubi gone?

Reaching the nearest window with a reflection Naruto looked hard at his stomach. He then touched the seal.

“Ouch!”

It shocked him. That was kind of weird but…

The seal looks the same to me?

Closing his eyes Naruto looked inside himself. He didn’t see the demon but he could still feel him. Naruto felt himself relax to the point of almost falling over.

Good he’s still in there. Hell that scared me.

Despite all that Naruto and Kyuubi had been through, Naruto didn’t doubt for one second what would happen the second the kyuubi got out. He was a demon after all.

Naruto opened his eyes. The kyuubi was still there and the seal looked fine to him. So everything had to be fine…him seeing so well must have just been a fluke.

Naruto blinked then stopped as something struck him as off.

Taking a step closer to the window naruto stared hard at his face, or rather he stared at his eyes.

What the…that isn’t normal.

Naruto knew that when the Kyuubi’s energy flowed through him that his eyes became red. There were other changes as well like wilder hair and his whiskers.

But this didn’t look like the Kyuubi’s changes. He didn’t think so at least.

His eyes were still blue…maybe a little lighter than he remember but the biggest change was the pupil itself. It was slited and was so huge.

Well that explains the night vision I guess. Looks like something a cat has…so I guess the pupil will shrink in light.

Carefully Naruto studied the rest of body. He was half afraid he’d find fox ears or something but he couldn’t see anything different. Well his whiskers might be a little darker but he couldn’t really tell.

Saying a few choice words Naruto turned to look for his shirt and jacket.

“Aww man…”

Naruto cursed as he picked up his shirt out of a puddle of nasty gutter water.

Sighing Naruto tied his shirt around his waist, he did the same thing to his jacket.

“I’ll have to let them dry off first. Nasty.”

What should he do? He had taken off to do some surveillance on the covenant. But now he wasn’t sure he could handle it. No…his limps still felt a little weird. He couldn’t risk the others not to mention himself. He didn’t know anything about the covenant or their weapons. He had to return.

Not trusting his chakura Naruto decided to walk. He defiantly didn’t want to risk another fit and painful fall.

I’ll head back…but I’ll keep a look out for food places to. I’m hungry and I’m sure the others would appreciate it.

Linda frowned as she looked through the scope on her sniper rifle. This didn’t make sense…what the hell would a young boy be doing walking down a major street by himself. He didn’t appear injured or frightened. He was simply walking down the street. Stopping occasionally to break an entering and look around the store. He didn’t seem to be looking for anything in particular.

Beside her Sam, the tallest and strongest of the Spartans was watching through the scope of his rifle. It wasn’t as powerful as the sniper but he could still see just fine.

“I don’t get it.”

He whispered as he kneeled down behind the trash dumpster they were using as cover.

“What is that kid doing?”

“Shopping?”

Linda muttered as she shouldered her rifle.

Sam lifted his rifle again to look at the kid.

“Why is he half naked?”

“Lets get closer.”

Linda rolled her eyes. Who cared where his shirt is. There were more important questions to answer.

Sam nodded and together they carefully made their way closer. They followed him as he entered a grocery store. He spent a few minutes in there before coming out with a shopping cart full of food. He was also eating something, looked like some cookies.

The boy was totally focused on stuffing his face.

“Is he insane? There could be covenant anywhere? He’s eating like nothing has happened.”

Green eyes glanced sideways as her overly tall fellow Spartan. He did have a point. This was a corpse filled city, no normal person would be acting so nonchalant.

“Maybe he escaped from a mental ward. Would explain his behavior and lack of shirt.”

“Well crazy or not. We have to rescue him.”

Sam’s eyes narrowed as he considered the situation carefully.

“He could hurt himself if we approach him though.”

“We’ll stun him. I’ve got the ammunition.”

She wasn’t worried about herself and Sam as she said this. It was unlikely that the boy could hurt them, even if he was armed. But the covenant could be anywhere, and if this kid made a lot of commotion then that could spell problems for them.

Sam blinked then smiled crookedly.

“Now why do you have stun rounds on you?”

Linda gave Sam a dull look before emptying the clip of her gun. She then reached into a pocket on her left side and silently as she could put the clip into place.

“It keeps people on their toes.”

Sam wisely didn’t comment on this as Linda aimed. Just one shot to the chest or head and he’d be out like a light for the rest of the night. That way they could extract him without risking the mission.

Linda held her breath as she waited for the right moment. They had all the time in the world no need to rush and risk and missed shot. She smiled as the boy turned toward her making himself an easier target. She focused, her world narrowing down to her target. Suddenly just as she started to pull the trigger the kid jerked his head up and looked right at her.

CRASH!

Linda gasped jerking her head back with all the speed she had in her body. She fell as her own violent movement forced her off balance. Her gun dropped to the ground…a weird looking knife sticking out of the scope.

Sam cursed as he brought his weapon up. Only to curse again as he realized the kid was gone. But…how they had only looked away for half a second.

Sam advanced a few steps then bent down and picked up Linda’s rifle.

“Jesus…Linda you ok?”

“Ya I think so.”

She said brushing herself off and snatched her sniper rifle out of Sam’s hands. She then grabbed the knife and yanked it out.

“What kind of blade is this?”

It was a strange triangular knife with a long rounded handle.

“Not sure.”

Sam said as he took the knife to look it over. He spun it in the air catching it with ease.

“Its extremely well balanced though.”

“Where did the kid go?”

Sam looked around carefully one final time before answering.

“I don’t know.”

___________________________________________________________ __________

Uiyep walked out into the street his eyes wide as he looked around at all the bodies and blood of his fellow grunts. His entire troop, save Ootewa…completely wiped out. A total of 23 grunts taken out without a single serious hit on the human.

“what happened to it?”

Uiyep cautiously made his way toward the collapsed human. For the past twenty minutes him and Ootewa had been dodging running and basically trying not to die as the strange human went on a rampage and one by one killed his unit. He hadn’t actually seen anything but he had heard the screams. And the street now that he was out and looking around looked like it had been hit by a tornado. Did the human have some sort of weapon not listed in the enemies weapon handbook?

His squad…all dead. Grunts he had personally trained and known for years all slaughter. This…this…This FUCKIN human had played with them. If it had wanted to Uiyep didn’t doubt they’d all be dead in a matter of seconds. The sheer power the human had shown…he had literally thrown cars, ripped the street lights out of the ground and knocked down buildings.

Uiyep shook in rage as he aimed his gun at the humans face. It was still its eyes closed although he could see it was breathing. It was young looking although Uiyep was no human specialist. It had a strange marking on his forehead which matched the red color of its hair. It was wearing some sort of strange clothing made of buckles and mesh. Uiyep could see no weapons on it. So how did it cause so much damage?

He should kill it now!

He heard Ootewa walking up from behind him. The silent grunt touched his shoulder. Uiyep took a deep breath still shaking as he forced his arm down. Ootewa was right. He had to wait for the elites. This…despite everything…might be something of value for the higher ups.

“Hand me some cuffs.”

A moment later Ootewa gave him the desired cuffs and he bent over. Shuddering in disgust Uiyep grabbed the humans hands and forced them into the device. He then did the same for the feet.

“Cuff the other one if its alive.”

He felt so tired. Tired and in pain, he had gotten crushed by some bricks a block over when the human had somehow knocked down a wall as it tried to get to him. Ootewa wasn’t much better off.

Uiyep glanced over at his second in command. He was limping heavily and looked half dead. Would his luck hold out? Would he survive the elites and Jackals again?

“Will I?”

Suddenly Uiyep stiffened. He heard something…a familiar sound. It filled his heart with hope.

“A drop ship? They sent a dropship for us?”

Uiyep couldn’t believe it. Rammittee had sent a drop ship to assist him and his grunts.

Falling to his knee’s he praised the gods and prophets.

“You still got it Ootewa. You’re a lucky son of bitch!”

The dropship was in sight now. As it came closer he could see the stunned looks on the elites faces as they looked at the damage. Uiyep could only image what it looked like from the air. Uiyep’s mouth dropped low as he realized not only did they send elites but a hunter pair as well.

Good, if that human wakes up we might need their strength. I still can’t believe it. All this for my unit.

He felt a pang of regret. He hadn’t been able to save his squad. It was all he could do to survive himself. He had tried, but ultimately failed.

Waving his arms wildly he did his best to run up to the first of the elites that exited the ship.

“SIR!”

He tried to salute but the movement was jerky and incompletely. He felt something pop and grind. Probably was a dislocation. He winced but refused to moan in pain…especially in front of the Elite.

The elites a red armored older captain stared hard at Uiyep. It made him a little nervous but he didn’t let it show. He knew he probably looked a step away from death, but it sure as hell was death if he showed any weakness.

“what happened here?”

The elite finally barked out. Uiyep swallowed relieved. He had pasted the inspection.

“I’m not sure. My unit came out here for the…”

Uiyep paused knowing full well what the elites thought of the nightly feasting.

“We were setting up night camp here when three of my grunts were attacked.”

Uiyep led the Red elite to the small human that they had tied up.

The red elite frowned then looked around his eyes seemly searching.

“Where are the rest of them?”

“There was one other, my second is securing it…if it still lives. It hasn’t moved that I’ve seen. This red haired human…”

Uiyep paused making sure the elite was listening. He just hoped he didn’t get killed for stating a seemingly impossible fact.

“this human alone without any weapons that I could see killed my unit and caused all this damage to the human buildings.”

The elite’s shoulders stiffened his head tilting again to look at Uiyep. He seemed to be thinking something over although what Uiyep couldn’t guess.

“Its alive?”

“Yes sir…for some reason it collapsed just before you arrived. It acted injured before it attacked my grunts.”

“It doesn’t look injured?”

The elite was right. In fact the human didn’t even look dirty. It just laid there like it was asleep.

“I’m sorry sure…I have no answers.”

The elite nodded.

“Very well. Ionee, Jumic!”

The elite called out. Two blue armored elites quickly ran over and saluted.

“SIR!”

“Take Uiyep and his second to base. Make sure they get medical treatment.”

All three, two blue elites and one grunt stood in stunned silence. That simply wasn’t done for grunts.

“I want them both cleaned up and presentable. No doubt they will be questioned later. Get the hunters. I want them guarding these two humans. They are as of now prisoners of the Covenant.