Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Within the Pale White Light ❯ Going beyond the Limit ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Ok story of the chapter Diplomatic Relations. This on is for mature readers only. it’s a spicy little thing with Gaara and Lee. Normally I don’t like this pairing but the author Maldoror is a great writer and very funny. The story is serious but the funny moments will have you laughing out loud.

Also I’d like to announce I have a beta. So lets give a warm shout of to DrunkenWolf for even thinking to tackling the wreck I call a story :P

She was asleep. She knew she was. She was also cold and her body ached strangely. Still she didn’t want to wake up. Somewhere between the world of dream and reality she floated uncaring. She didn’t remember falling asleep which normally would have worried her awake. She had no idea where she was or what was going on around her, but right this moment she really didn’t care. She was having nice dreams.

It wasn’t often that she dreamed of her mother, it had been so long since she had seen her that the memory of the woman was faded. She could barely remember what she looked like. Just vague images of a blonde woman hugging her, kissing her, making the early life for a young ninja a little better with love.

Momma, why did you have to die?

She shifted slightly as her dreams turned red.

Red hair, green eyes and the scariest stare on the planet. HE was the reason her mother died. His birth had ripped their mother apart. Their mother had died in agony, in hate and blood.

Temari had been there.

They hadn’t known what the kazekage had planed for the baby. To them it was a happy time. Her mother was excited about the baby and Temari was excited by the thought of a little brother or sister.

She had been beside her mother as she had begun her labor. It was going well, her mother despite not being a ninja was strong and healthy. Between contractions she would laugh and talk to Temari and the nurses that would come and go. Everything was fine and dandy…until, her father had come into the room. He had been wearing his full ceremonial robes and was holding a small container in his left arm. She had been scared. It was usually against suna law for a man to be in the same room as a laboring woman. The nurses had tried to stop him but a cold look and shooing gesture was all that was needed to make them all disappear. The Kazekage wasn’t someone you messed with. He was the ruler and if he wanted to break a time honored law then it was within his right.

Temari remembered how quiet and still her mother got, like the labor itself stilled for what was about to happen.

Her father said nothing as he walked across the room. His eyes smiled terribly as he handed the small vase to her mother.

“A gift my sweet for giving me your 3rd child. it’s a boy you know.”

Her mother frowned, neither of them had known the sex of the baby. How could the kazekage know. Still despite everything that was happening her mother took the vase. Temari had tried to tell her not to. Something in her ninja training told her it was bad. She had only begun in her classes but she still knew…her mother did not. Yet for some reason her entire body became cold and still. She couldn’t open her mouth to warn her mother.

“Husband?”

She asked as she was forced to set the vase against her chest and quivering stomach. It was a lot heavier than it looked. It was a plain vase, the kind that was common in suna. It was light tan with only one symbol that Temari didn’t recognize on the lid. Apparently her mother did though.

“This symbol? What…are you doing?”

The kazekage smiled and then without warning his arm lashed out, smashing the vase in her mothers arm. The force was more than enough to shatter it into a hundred razor sharp pieces.

Both of them had screamed. Her mother in pain as the vase shards cut into her skin, and Temari in terror at the sight of her mothers blood. The pregnant woman screamed even louder as the contents of the vase fell out onto her stomach.

“MOMMA!”

Temari suddenly gasped her words forgotten as the sand inside the vase soaked up her mothers blood and shifted to words. She didn’t know what it said but even a child could see that it was a seal of some kind.

“Husband what have you done?”

Temari started to cry. She didn’t know what was happening but it couldn’t be good, her mother was crying now. Not in pain but in some sort of horrible horrible emotion. Her mother seemed to know what was going on. Temari could see the recognition on her face.

“ I HATE you!”

She spat out causing her daughter to gasp and shrink away from the bed. Temari had never seen her mother look so hideous, like a monster. There was something there something in her mothers eyes that scared her. Temari had never seen such hate in anyone’s eyes before. It fairly poisoned the air around her.

“I hate this place! I hope this thing your creating kills you and this fucking village.”

Temari didn’t remember what happened next. She only vaguely remembered the scent of blood and tears. Screams and something with a high pitched crazed voice laughing.

She had awoken days later to her brother Kankuro looking over her.

“Mothers dead…and we have a new little brother.”

Temari shook her head not wanting to believe. It was a dream it had to be, their mother wasn’t dead. Her mother wouldn’t allow something like that to happen.

“No no no no.”

She pounded her tiny fist against her brothers chest. He didn’t say anything.

“Father killed her. I SAW IT!”

She had started crying, too young to know tears weren’t becoming a ninja of Suna.

“No he didn’t. Our new brother did.”

000

Temari gasped as she jerked herself out of the nightmare. She hated that dream, especially now that her little brother was doing so well. She didn’t blame him anymore for their mothers death. It wasn’t his fault…it was their fathers.

“Oh hey your awake. Here I saved you some water.”

Temari blinked slightly in shock as someone forced a cup into her hand. Before she even realized what she was doing she downed the liquid. Very bad for a ninja to do, but for some reason she was having trouble focusing on anything. Her head felt kind of fuzzy and her body hurt. The water however was rather refreshing and within a few minutes she felt herself becoming more alert.

The first thing she noticed was that she was in a cell of some kind. She wasn’t tied up but her weapons were gone. The doorway to the cell didn’t have a door but some kind of shimmering blue barrier. She didn’t sense any Justu which kind of confused her. Usually barriers like this fairly throbbed with chakra.

Where was she? How did she get here? And more important where were her brothers.

“Are you ok? You’ve been unconscious for…well…”

Temari turned and blinked at the young man talking to her. He was tall looking although it was hard to tell because he was crouching beside her. He was rather thin with short black hair and a friendly smile on his face. He was kind of dirty and rough looking although considering it looked like he was a prisoner as well he didn’t look as bad as he could.

“Well…”

He continued,

“I’m not sure how long you were out. I don’t have a watch, although I’m sure it was several hours.”

“Where are we?”

She asked looking around. The cell was large, dark and rather plain, but at least it was clean which was better than the jails of Suna.

“We are on the ship, ForeRunners Light. We are the guests of the Covenant.”

Temari frowned but didn’t say anything. She had a feeling something beyond weird was happening. She studied the young man for several seconds. He didn’t look or act dangerous. His hands were soft, not a hint of callus’s or any indicator he’d ever done any kind of work. His clothes were loose fitting and a little sloppy. Not made to protect from weather or weapons. The biggest indicator he wasn’t a ninja was when he turned his back to her to put the cup of water back onto a small plate. No ninja, even one undercover, EVER turned his back on an unknown person.

“Are you hurt? I’m a doctor…well um sort of. I’m still in school.”

The young man smiled sheepishly.

“I’m a first year student actually, but I have learned some first aid. I didn’t see anything obviously wrong though.”

“No I think I’m ok. A little sore but I don’t feel anything broken.”

Temari stood up. She was a little shaky at first but quickly she got control over her body. She had to figure a way out of here. There had to be a way, there was always a way. She didn’t know what was going on. But being in a jail cell didn’t bode well for the future. She had to find her brothers, make sure they were ok. Well make sure Kankuro was ok. She was sure Gaara would take care of himself.

Walking over to the door she studied the blue shimmering barrier.

Its not like any barrier I’ve ever seen.

It defiantly wasn’t made by any conventional means. Rather than using chakra it seemed to be powered by scientific means.

Frowning she noticed a mid sized machine of some sort in front of the door. The blue light seemed to be coming from it.

A power source maybe?

That seemed like a stupid place to put it, as well as overly obvious. If it was the power source then just destroying it should bring down the barrier. Not that would help her. She didn’t think she could get to it to turn it off.

“What are you doing?”

The young man asked curiously.

“Trying to find a way out.”

She snapped. Wasn’t it obvious? what did he think she was doing? It was only natural to try and escape a prison. Especially one where the enemy was stupid enough not to tie her up.

“What?”
Temari turned toward the guy one hand on her hip and smirked. She was the sister of the Current Kazekage of Suna. She was a Jounin. She would find a way out! No matter what the cost.

“I not the prisoner type, so I‘m going to make a break for it.”

The young man frowned although she could see in his eyes that he wanted to escape to.

“I don’t know if we can.”

He looked down.

“There might not be anywhere to go. Who knows the covenant might have glassed the planet already.”

Temari crossed her arms over her shapely chest. There was more to her capture than she knew. What did ‘glass the planet’ mean? who were the covenant?

“Anything, even dieing trying to escape is better than just sitting here.”

The boy didn’t say anything. Temari taped her fingers. She didn’t need this child. Why was she trying to convince him escaping was a good idea.

“what’s your name?”

She had to stifle the urge to call him kid. He looked about the same age as her.

“I’m Larry. Larry Colburn.”

“I’m Temari.”

Temari chewed the inside of her lip. She missed her fan already. She liked to play with it when in stressful situation. It was a familiar and comforting weight that she was sorely wishing she had right now.

I should interrogate this guy. He seems to know something about what’s going on.

Temari walked over to the barrier although she made sure not to touch it. She could make out the room on the other side easily. She didn’t see anyone or anything watching them. But who knew, they might have camera’s hidden or something.

I should interrogate him, but…I’m afraid I don’t have time. What if the hostiles come? I have to act now.

“How are you going to get out?”

Temari didn‘t answer, she was to deep in thought.

I’ll make him escape with me. When we are safer I’ll start asking questions.

It wasn’t the best plan, but she felt it was the only choice she had. Nodding her herself she focused on getting out. She had to do that before anything else matter.

It seemed obvious to her that the machine just outside the barrier was the key. But how to get to it.

Chewing on her lip Temari looked around at their cell. The walls were all smooth, perfect, almost shiny enough to see her reflection in. There was absolutely nothing in this cell not even toilets or beds.

Or air ducts…

Temari’s eyes widened. Was it possible?!

“Larry, do you know how the air passes in here? Does air pass through that blue barrier?”

Larry looked confused.

“Um I remember when the covenant brought you I could smell their stink through the shield. Smell has to travel through the air so ya I think so. Why?”

Temari forced herself to relax and not let the possible escape route excite her to much.

I don’t have my fan but I can still use my attacks. Its harder, uses up more chakra and is less powerful without my fan but it should be enough to at least disable that thing.

Ok relax…focus.

Forming a simple hand seal Temari focused on the machine just outside the barrier.

“Daikamaitachi no Justu”

She whispered as she finished the seal and swept her hand back as if she had a fan, then with a sweeping forward motion that was as deadly looking as it was graceful she urged her chakra to form the air.

“what the…AHH!”

Larry gave a startled yelp as the air in the cell suddenly became violent and seemed to move with Temari’s hands. His eye got even wider when what looked like a blade of glowing air ripped through the barrier as if it wasn’t there and hit the control panel.

Temari grinned widely as the blue shield shuddered and died.

“Come on. We have to be quiet I don’t know if I can do that again.”

Larry blinked.

“T…th…that wasn’t humanly possible.”

Temari gave Larry a look. True not many people could work with air. It was a difficult use of chakra as air had almost no substance to it and was constantly changing. But it wasn’t as he put it inhumanly possible.

“I’m a Shenobi of Suna. This isn’t all that hard.”

“A Shen…shen..whatits?”

Temari frowned. Everyone knew what a Shenobi was. They were an important part of all villages as they were usually hired to protect said villages. Again she got the distinct impression something was very wrong.

“Ok first thing Larry. We have to be quiet. You follow my lead, but since you know what going on more than me I will listen to advice.”

Temari paused as she looked around the new area. It looked just like the cell with some purple lights added. There were several hallways leading several different ways and they all looked the same.

“You wouldn’t happen to know which way is out do you?”

Larry shook his head.

Temari sighed as she kneeled beside the power source of the barrier. It was destroyed. However it was shredded in such a way that parts of it may be useful. Carefully picking out a large piece of metal that used to be the casing Temari checked its edges.

Perfect…well not perfect my fan would be perfect but at least its useable.

Just as she thought, her Justu had caused the metal to be cut in such a way that the edges were sharp.

“Here Larry, careful its sharp.”

She tossed the metal shiv, and he rather clumsily caught it.

“Er…thanks I guess.”

Temari rolled her eyes as she salvaged all the pieces she could.

“Its better than being unarmed.”

The kid looked uncomfortable at his weapon.

“There’s no way! The covenant has like energy weapons! This little piece of metal is no match for even a unarmed Grunt!”

Suddenly pissed Temari whirled around and grabbed the kid by his shirt. Even though he was taller than her she proved very quickly that she was way stronger.

“You listen to me punk! I don’t know what the covenant is. Last I remember I was on a mission in the land of mist with my brothers and suddenly I wake up in a strange cell. I am leaving, I don’t care how many bodies I have to leave behind me…even yours!”

Glaring was something she was good at, after all no one was better at it that her brother Gaara. The young man fairly melted under her stare.

“ya…ok.”

Temari dropped him and much like a rag doll he fell to the ground.

“Good. Now shut up and follow me. We WILL find a way out.”

000

What am I going to do?
Hinata stood helpless looking around a deserted, corpse filled street. It was pitch black as the street lights didn‘t work on this street. The wind had picked up a little chilling her to the bone and blowing around tiny bits of newspaper. The rustling of the paper drove home how terrible quiet it was. Absolutely nothing was alive here. She was the only thing that moved. She was exhausted, having pushed herself past exhaustion in her search for Naruto. The sun was just moments from beginning its rise into the sky. Shikamaru had told her if she wasn’t back by sunrise then he would assume she was dead and continue without her. It was an extreme way to do things but considering the situation she couldn’t help but agree.

She was so very tired. She hadn’t slept for almost 24 hours now. And while staying awake for long periods of time was something a Shenobi learned at a young age, it wasn’t often no sleep was mixed with chakra depletion. One didn’t mess with the chakra, if you got to low on it your heart would stop beating and you would cease to even have the energy to breath. She was pushing it she knew. Her eyes were sore, and red from the overuse of the Byakugan. She had searched all night using her eyes and using the bird calls commonly used by leaf-nin to call one another. Naruto had not, or could not answer.

“Naruto-kun.”

Hinata sniffed miserably as she hugged her coat closer to her body trying to ward off the cold. She wouldn’t give up. She couldn’t give up. Naruto whether he knew it or not meant everything to her.

It was because of him that she had been training and getting stronger. She was still a long way from proving anything to her father or Neji, but it was a beginning. He gave her courage to do things she never imaged she could do.

Glancing at the sky again Hinata sighed. If she was going to get back she should now. Skikamaru she knew would be worried sick if she didn’t come back. Still she could not give up on Naruto. She didn’t know why he took off but there had to be a reason. And more importantly there had to be a reason he hadn’t come back.

I’m sorry Shikamaru. I don’t want you to worry but I have to find him. I can’t leave Naruto alone.

But where to look? Before she had exhausted her chakra she had looked everywhere she could. Normally finding someone as loud and brightly colored as Naruto wasn’t a problem. If anything was moving she would have seen it.

Sitting down on an old bus bench Hinata sighed. She was so tired. She couldn’t remember the last time she had been so exhausted.

I failed you Naruto. Why couldn’t I find you?

She had tried, tried so very hard to find him. Yet there was nothing. Maybe he was already dead.

It was to much, she could almost hear her father calling her the weak link on her team, the weakness in the family. To shy too weak for anything, even becoming head of the family. Hinata shivered, she had even heard some of the family say she should be demoted to the branch family. Her father had disagreed, but how long would he continue to protect her from that horrible fate. She would end up with that horrible bird in a cage thing that Neji had. She would lose everything even her family. She had lost the respect of the family and now she apparently had lost Naruto. She was weak!

Hinata whimpered as she started to cry into her hands. She was drained, emotionally and physically. She was ashamed of her weakness but at this moment she didn’t care. Shoulders shaking she lent herself into the despair.

After crying for what felt like forever Hinata heard a little voice inside her head. It wasn’t a real voice, just a little part of her that told her. Look again, ignore the pain, look, look harder than you’ve ever looked before. There is more to see that just what is in front of your eyes. Look.

Still crying Hinata looked up her bloodlimit turning her eyes into broken china. She didn’t see anything.

Look harder!

What am I looking for? I don’t understand, but I have to…look harder. Look Harder!

Something was happening, Hinata could feel the familiar chakra in her eyes shape and focus like never before. It alarmed her. Maybe this was the breaking point, and this weird feeling was her dieing. She was so scared…maybe she should stop and rest before doing this.

NO LOOK HARDER! YOU HAVE TO LOOK! SEE EVERYTHING!

Then it happened, like a damn breaking. It hurt…a lot. Hinata gasped and screamed clutching at her eyes. She fell off the bench onto the dirty hard ground. It hurt so bad! This wasn’t normal…something was wrong! She smelled blood and with horror realized her eyes were bleeding.

I’ve done it now. I broke my eyes. I useless without them!

After what felt like hours but couldn’t have been longer than 10-15 minutes the pain dulled no longer agonizing but by no means gone. It still took even longer still before Hinata could force herself to open her eyes. She was so sure all she would see was blackness. She was so sure she was blind, that when she opened them the world took her by surprise. It was so clear…the colors so perfect.

She was so stunned she didn’t even notice her surroundings until something dark and transparent passed in front of her eyes. Jumping up she screamed as another shadow passed her. How did something get so close without her sensing it. There was no smell, no sounds, nothing but the wraithlike movement of something. And then it passed by her, paying her no attention.

Clutching her chest, her eyes felt like balls of fire in her head she looked around.

Ghosts?

No she didn’t think so. Ghosts didn’t exist. But what she was seeing?

Strange metal carriages went by on the street. The same metal things that were on the street here and there only not damaged. There was no sound, no movement of the wind as theses wraiths went by.

This isn’t, can’t be real?

Hinata frowned as she studied the people, she could make out facial features now. They weren’t in pain or scared, rather they looked normal, going about their business.

Was it possible…this was…

I’m seeing the dead people…before they died.

Was this possible? There was nothing like this in her families line she was sure. She was seeing the past. Slowly as she watched the shadows started to go into focus. Colors and some mass came to the people walking around. It wasn’t exactly like if she was looking at them alive and well, but it was still unbelievable. One thing she noticed was the closer a shadow the better she could see it. After about 20 ft or so they faded into nothing.

Hinata clenched her fists. This wasn’t the time to freak out. So what if she had discovered a new ability. Her heart thumped suddenly loud in her chest. She had a chance…with this…there was hope

I have to focus. I might be able to find Naruto with this. Naruto…where are you?

“MAKE ME!”

Hinata whirled around. That sounded like Naruto. With what little energy she had left Hinata started to run toward it. She didn’t know why she heard this. She couldn’t hear the other people. Everything was just as silent as a few moments ago. She couldn’t see where it came from either. Along with the distance limit, she couldn‘t see through the buildings at the moment. Hinata wondered if this was a new level to her bloodlimit or if it was replacing her old one.

Running around a corner Hinata skidded to a horrified stop. All at once something happened. The people started to act panicked, screaming silently and running…and Hinata realized with horror what else this ability gave her. As an elderly man was hit with something that burned a hole right through his body, right in front of her. Hinata covered her mouth in horror as the old man fell, dead before he hit the ground. It didn’t matter that this wasn’t real…it was real it had happened. The blood and the corpses were all real.

She didn’t dare turn off her eyes for fear of losing the chance to find Naruto. However because of this she was forced to watch what happened to this city.

“AHHH!”

She screamed again as something…so unlike anything she had ever seen before jumped in front of her. It was a monster, tall and lumbering a mass of flesh and armor.

It was killing everyone. Other monsters were attacking as well…all the people they were just lambs to the slaughter. So much blood and hate.

“Oh Kami…they must be the Covenant!”

“Make ME!”

Naruto!

Turning once again Hinata forced herself to NOT see the slaughter. They were already dead. There was nothing she could do to help them. But Naruto might still be alive. She wouldn’t know unless she found him.

“NARUTO!”
She could see him now. Naruto…or rather the shadow of Naruto. He was injured and fighting something. She ran up to him, close enough to touch, although as expected her hand passed right through him.

Their human I can tell. But they are different than the soldiers we saved. Oh my god what is that!

Hinata could see Naruto’s chakra…or what she assumed had to be his chakra as it turned on him and caused him to go into seizures.

She also watched as the people that had attacked him, patched him up. She couldn’t hear them, but she could read lips so she knew what they said. They were talking about getting him help.

Ok so they aren’t evil. Rather I think they were worried about his safety as well as their own and Naruto being Naruto they were forced to resort to violence.

She watched as a strange machine with twirling blades flew in and all three took off.

West…they are going west. I will go as well. I’ll first find Naruto, then I shall find Shikamaru. If I can master this new ability…

Hinata shuddered. With this…new ability hidden within her bloodlimit she might finally gain her fathers approval.

Closing her eyes she allowed them to go back to normal. It hurt but not terribly, kind of reminded her of when she discovered her bloodlimit.

“alright…to the west. I know I’ll find you Naruto.”

Hinata paused.

“I’m sorry, all of you. I’m sorry I saw your deaths and could nothing to stop it.”

With that she forced her tired and exhausted body to run.

000

Uiyep waited nervously in a small closed off room. There was only one door, closed and locked from the outside. The room was filled with methane which was nice, but Uiyep didn’t dare take off his respirator. He was half afraid they would suddenly shut off the methane and allow him to slowly drown in a sea of oxygen. Not that having his tank would save him. He only had maybe two or three hours left on it. If they did suck the methane out, he would only be delaying his horrible death.

The room itself was sicken plain, lit by one pale purple light, and furnished with only one small bench. It was long enough for him to lay on but it would be very uncomfortable. Instead he passed the time pacing back and forth occasionally sitting down to rest and wonder.

His biggest worry was about Ootewa. Was the silent grunt still alive? Where was he? Did they repair his wounds like they had done his?

No one was answering his questions. He had spent nearly 5 hours in the medical ward. He hadn’t bothered to ask the medics. They wouldn’t know anything anyway. He had seen the elite that had lead the rescue a few times but he hadn’t gotten close enough to ask questions. There had been a lot of rushing around and excited chatter among the ranks. No doubt because of the new human prisoner and the grunts that did the capturing.

Not that we captured it. It just kind of passed out.

Uiyep sighed as he once again forced himself to sit down on his bench. This was getting ridiculous. He could understand them not telling him anything about the prisoner. He was after all just a grunt. However Ootewa was his second in command. He had the right to know if the grunt still lived.

Closing his eyes Uiyep forced his mind back to the night before.

The human hadn’t been very tall. At least not compared to the uniformed soldiers of the humans. It had had red hair and pale green eyes.

Uiyep cursed to himself. He was no human expert. He didn’t even know if the human was male or female. The human had looked unusual to him but he didn’t know why. He didn’t know what to look for. He had only been trained with weapons, and the human had had none.

Suddenly Uiyep was startled out of his thoughts as the warning light came on. Quickly he turned on his respirator as he knew someone was coming. He could feel the difference in the air as the methane was sucked out and was replaced with oxygen. The door then swished open. Instantly he was on his feet saluting the elite that was standing in the door. It was instinct something drilled into him since he was a child. However, the reason for his quick actions didn’t hit his conscious mind right away. It took a moment, and when it did Uiyep found his mouth trying to unhinged from his jaw.

“Arbitor…sir!!”

He squeaked in surprise as he stifled the urge to make himself presentable and instead concentrated on keeping the salute.

Uiyep was horrified. He was in no condition to meet with the Arbitor. He wasn’t worthy. He was still dirty, wounded and exhausted from the battle not even 6 hours ago. He was not prepared for this. Nothing would have made him prepared for this.

The Arbitor stared hard making Uiyep even more nervous. He then tilted his head. A gesture similar to the ‘at ease’ command.

Uiyep did anything but.

“Greetings Squad leader…Uiyep was it?”

Uiyep eyes about popped out of his head the Arbitor knew his name. He FREAKIN knew his name.

“Y..yes. Sir.”

Uiyep swallowed, trying to force his voice into its normal range. Fear and astonishment was making it even squeaker than normal. The Arbitor didn’t seem to notice instead he looked over Uiyep. Uiyep had no idea what the elite was looking for. It kind of made him very uneasy.

The arbiters jaws twitched his eyes glazing slightly as if he was in deep thought. He then took a step forward, forcing Uiyep to step back. The room had been small before but now it seemed possitily cramped as the large elite turned and then closed the door.

“What…”

He said before he could catch himself. The Arbitor turned sharply to glare at him and Uiyep wisely shut the hell up.

“I will make this as quick as possible. I have pressing business. However the prophet of

Truth himself…”

The Arbitor paused as he allowed the grunt to wrap its mind around this little tid bit of information.

“The Prophet of Truth himself asked that I speak with you.”

He means interrogate.

Uiyep thought in panic. This couldn’t be good. Why would the prophets send a Arbitor, one of the holiest of warriors…the very hand of the prophets to talk to him?

Again the Arbitor paused as he allowed a little bit of emotion creep into his voice. It almost sounded like pity.

“Grunt, I’m afraid you and your squad came across some bad luck, as well as some sensitive material.”

“Oh hells…”

Uiyep slapped his hands over his mouth. The Arbitor didn’t seem to mind this outburst however as he continued as if Uiyep hadn’t rudely interrupted him.

“Tell me, why did you chose sector 9?”

Uiyep gulped as he forced his head to work. He had to answer truthfully. He had to make sure fear didn’t make him put a spin on anything.

“It was the heaviest patrolled so it should have been safe. Also it was far enough away that my squad could feed without fighting.”

The Arbitor didn’t even flinch at the word feed. Most elites would have been disgusted as they considered eating humans worse than dirt.

“Did you notice anything strange in the area? Any lights or sounds, strange readings on your scanners?”

Uiyep paused as he thought back trying to remember.

“I don’t think so most respected Arbitor.”

“Are you sure?”

The Arbitor didn’t sound like he pitied Uiyep anymore. That sounded like a threat, a very dangerous threat.

“No sir. There was nothing until my scouts reported a problem and then were killed.”

The Arbitor tapped one clawed finger against the side of his helmet. He seemed to be thinking over the information.

“Alright. I believe you. As I am sure you know that lying to me would be considered heresy.”
“I would NEVER!”

Uiyep sputtered outraged before he could catch himself.

Oh great, now you’ve done it. I’m going to be killed for that for sure.

However the Arbitor didn’t try to gut him. Instead he actually smiled slightly. It was a sad smile though. Uiyep wasn’t sure what to make of it.

“Not all proclaimed heretics mean the heresy. Keep that in mind. Sometimes the best of intentions go wrong.”

Uiyep frowned. He opened his mouth to speak but on a second thought decided to keep his mouth shut. The Arbitor nodded his head as if pleased with him.

“I was also told to inform you that you’ve got another planet side mission.”

Uiyep blinked. He hadn’t thought the higher ups would put him back on the planet. Especially since he fucked up so royally and got his squad killed.

“You’ll be in charge of a search party. We have reasons to believe that there are more…strange humans. Humans much like the one you captured. We need to get them before the human forces do.”

The Arbitor stopped tilting his head to give Uiyep a strong glare.

“This…was supposed to be a elite mission but for some reason nether I nor any other elite understand the Prophets asked for you to join us. The prophets are allowing you to hand pick your new squad. Not only that but the prophets are sending a hunter pair with you for safety…and…”

Uiyep felt like his respirator was broken. He couldn’t breath. What were the prophets thinking? He was just a grunt, a rather good grunt, but still just a grunt. Going after freaking unnaturally strong humans wasn’t a job for grunts. That was what elites and hunters were for.
“..a..and?”

Uiyep swallowed almost afraid to ask the Arbitor to continue to sentence.

“I was ordered bare witness to the cause. And after much thought I‘ve decided to accompany your unit.”

“Oh.”

And it became to much…way to much. First the horrible battle with the red haired human and now this. How did they expect a grunt to take it all in. The Arbitor turned and opened the door. He left without a word, leaving the door open. That told Uiyep all he needed to know. He was free. He had a mission. And apparently some major shit was going on that he would get to be a part of.

He said Ootewa is alive. Ok well I want him on my squad if he’s healthy enough. Arbitor said I could pick my squad. Well um I guess I need to get to a computer and look up who’s available in the time limit.

Uiyep nodded to himself as he left the small room. The room just moments ago he was sure he’d die in. Now he wasn’t sure what was going on, or why him. But he lived, and in living he could continue to serve the prophets. That was a good thing.