Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Within the Pale White Light ❯ Political Party ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fanfic of the Chapter: Foxhound by Krakens Ghost. This had been on the top of my fav Naruto list until the Author quite updating. A very very good story. I saved it onto my computer so I could read it when I wanted. I drew some fanart awhile back for this although I think my pleas of updates have gone mostly unheard. Everyone read and email, bug the author into updating. Tell them Gloria sent cha.

AN: I should probably apologize for the last AN. Sorry, I didn’t mean what I said in a mean way. I was annoyed and felt the need to speak out.

Ok now, when I started this story I didn’t know what I was doing or where I was going. I hadn’t even decided what planet they were on. Now however thanks to Crow Robot, my beta Drunkenwerewolf and others, I’ve come mostly to terms about what is going on. That said I’ll probably be going through my chapters and changing some stuff to better go with the halo verse story line. One example I can think of would be how long the war had been going on. At one point Simmons (one of the marines) had stated the had war been going on for little over ten years. When I wrote that two things were going on. One I was thinking of making the planet reach pre destruction. And two, I really didn’t know how long the war had been going on during halo2. Well now I know.

I plan on doing each chapter. I’ll try to correct mistakes noted in reviews and spelling. So if you wanna read a more correct chapter you can, but I wouldn’t bother. It’ll pretty much be the same

Anyway I’ll probably do this when I post this chapter or maybe next chapter.

 

Dr. Halsey was not happy. In fact she was livid. She had only been gone for a hour. When she had left everything had been fine. Now apparently the child that shouldn’t even be awake had somehow escaped.

I knew I should have left a guard. That nurse…DAMNIT. I should have listened to myself.

“Ok tell me AGAIN. How the boy escaped and why no one bothered to try and stop him?!”

Her lips were formed in an angry frown as the soldier wiggled uncomfortably under her scrutiny.

“Ma’am. We’re not sure. We…um looked over the security tapes. A nurse and a young man helped him escape. The man ran when the boy did, we haven’t found any sign of the nurse.”

Dr. Halsey lifted her hand, forcing the soldier to stop mid explanation.

“You saying this boy, he walked out under his own power.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

Dr. Halsey frowned deeper.

How is that possible. He had nearly died not even 12 hours before. That was a serious injury.

“I want to see the tape.”
Dr. Halsey demanded. The soldier nodded, clearly expecting this since they were already in the security room. The room was small, with only one tv, and several recorders. The picture was grainy and had no sound. After all this was only a hospital, security was usually the last thing on the doctors and nurses minds. Halsey noticed all the soldier had to do was press play. The tape had already been set up.

They must have taken the tapes out to study them better. I’m surprised they bothered. The boys injuries were kept a secret. Can’t risk the public knowing my Spartans shot a child. It would be bad PR no matter the reasons. Hmm, there must have been another reason for them to review the tapes. I wonder…

Dr. Halsey leaned forward as the tape started. She cursed softly to herself as she realized the room itself didn’t have a camera, only the hallways. All it showed was the nurse…

The nurse I talked to. I knew something was wrong with that women.

And then the boy, wearing a dark hoodie walk out.

He’s hurting, but he is walking. I can’t believe it. I can see the hair and whiskers clear enough to know its him.

When the nurse had stopped, the boy kept going. He didn’t even hesitate or even glance the nurses way. It was like he was purposely ignoring her.

Or rather he didn’t want to be linked to her.

It was after the boy meet up with a young man that Dr. Halsey blinked.

“Stop the tape.”

Instantly the image stilled.

“What’s that? Do you recognize this symbol?”

There was a symbol of some sort on the mans collar.

The blond had had a strange symbol as well. It was on a piece of metal. A Swirl with some markings off of it. This isn’t that, but I can’t help but think it’s the same style.

“Looks like an hourglass with a slash above it.”

The soldier said looking as the grainy image.

Dr. Halsey nodded.

“You notice the blonde. He didn’t react or speak to the man until he saw that symbol.”

The soldier nodded agreeing with her assessment. Of course one couldn’t be completely sure, but it sure did seem like the boy recognized the symbol rather than the man.

“Continue Captain.”

“This is where things get weird.”

The captain muttered as he pressed play. Dr. Halsey raised an eyebrow at the comment but decided to see what was so ‘weird’ herself.”

Watching closely Dr. Halsey wondered at the argument that seemed to have strung between the two men. What then happened made Dr. Halsey’s eye widen in shock.

The boy…that little boy literally broke a full grown soldiers hold on him, lifted the man above his head and threw him.

“That’s Private O’Malley. He broke through two walls.”

Dr. Halsey blinked in shock still.

That’s…not normal. That’s something my Spartans are more likely to do. Is this kid…somebody’s experiment. Its possible although unlikely. Even with the best resources in the universe we lost over half.

Still a little voice whispered in her ear.

Still maybe someone came across a better process than us. Maybe this boy is like my Spartans. It would certainly explain everything Sam and Kelly had told me.

Standing up, Dr. Halsey smiled at the Captain.

“Thank you Captain. That’ll be all.”

The Captain opened his mouth to say something, then closed it with an audible snap when he thought better of it. Dr. Halsey wasn’t someone he wanted to mess with. Despite the fact she was a civilian, she had more pull than anyone he knew. It was best if he just did as she said and left.

Dr. Halsey waited until the Captain looked away and then left before going to the door and locking it.

“Cute. I like his whiskers, makes him look like a blonde Kitten.”

Dr. Halsey sighed as she turned toward the tv. Just as she expected a small figure was sitting on the desk.

“Aeon. I thought I told you to stay on the ship.”

The artificial intelligence didn’t turn around although she did giggle.

Aeon’s form was that of a little Asian girl probably about 8 years old. She was blue and white, with swirls of colors under her ‘skin’. She had short hair, just under her chin that seemed to have a life of its own the way it would sway back and forth.

She was a smart AI just as powerful as Cortana. In fact the two were sisters. Aeon had been created the same way as Cortana and Kalmiya, by flash cloning Halsey’s mind and brain. Aeon was specialized in Covenant technologies among other things. She was the next step in the AI process, the latest and greatest so to speak. Kalmiya had been the first, she had been used to streamline and work out any bugs in the system. Unfortunely Dr. Halsey had been forced to ‘kill’ her during the invasion of Reach. That still bothered her, an AI was just that an AI…but still they were so close to human it still bothered her.

Cortana the ‘second borne’ was as perfect as an AI could be, and had been promptly been given to John 117.

Halsey sighed as her thoughts drifted to John, and then Cortana. She missed both and was worried for both terribly. They were MIA, although it was almost for sure they were dead. Dr. Halsey didn’t want to believe it though. John was lucky, to lucky to die.

They would return she was sure…or rather, she hoped. She was a scientist, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t delude herself when needed.

After all it would be a shame for Cortana never to meet her younger sister. She would be proud of the tiny AI.

“well since you’re here, I want everything. See if we can find out where that young man and boy went. Hack into the cities street camera‘s. I also want records on all the nurses of this hospital.”

“Its unlikely. That the nurse, is actually a nurse.”

The tiny child said, a small lisp accenting her voice. She was rewinding the tape to the part with the nurse.

“I know. I just want to cover and make sure. Also I want you to research that hourglass symbol.”

The little girl watched the recording. Dr. Halsey knew that Aeon had been watching before however she didn’t stop the AI. She could see the swirling colors changing which meant she was thinking and processing.

“Dr. Halsey.”

The AI said, a frown marring her pretty little face.

“yes?”

“Did you go over the kitten’s chart?”

“Not really. I was busy and thought I had the time to do that later.”

Halsey frowned trying not to feel embarrassed. There was a lot she should have done to prevent this, however she didn’t think she needed to.

“Look at this.”

A transparent chart appeared before Aeon. It was a copy of the ‘kitten’s’ chart.

“Look here.”

Aeon pointed to where normally a persons blood type would have been. It was labeled unknown. Halsey frowned as he continued to read and found a note stating that the results had named an unknown blood type.

“It was thought to be a mistake. That somehow the blood sample had been contaminated.”

Aeon said as she sat down on the edge of the desk. She brushed back her hair.

“That’s unlikely. Aeon do we have any of his blood? I know they were planning to do some blood tests because of the seizures?”

Aeon smiled sadly and shook her head.

“The doctor didn‘t think it was safe to draw blood yet. I’ve already looked into it. They had run the blood sample test 3 times. Even that was a risk with how much blood he had lost. However the doctor felt it was unlikely he‘d survive without a transfusion. They got the same results each time.”

“So he didn’t get a transfusion.”

“Nope. No transfusions and no blood drawn. However I do have the results of the tests. I‘ll copy them to my systems for you to analyze later.”

“So not only did he suffer a seizure, a bullet wound, but he was also anemic from blood loss.”

“He shouldn’t have been awake. Much less able to escape…and to throw that guy through the wall.”
Aeon giggled again.

“That was kind of funny though. The look on that mans face.”

“Aeon!”

Dr. Halsey snapped.

“Remain professional. Get in touch with Chief Mendez. I want all the Spartans here.”

“All of them?”

Aeon blinked startled. Her eyes were wide and owlish as she studied her ‘mother’. She looked thoughtful a moment.

“This has you rattled.”

“And it doesn’t bother you?”

Halsey stated as she took her glasses off. Pulling a cloth from her pocket she started to clean them. When Aeon didn’t answer right away Dr. Halsey raised an eyebrow.

“I guess I am. This child has an unknown blood type, crazy healing and strength. It could just be a mutation, or it could be something else…something terrible.”

“Exactly, we don’t know. And I’m not taking any chances. Get MY Spartans here.”

“Spartans 058 and 034 are on an important mission inside the city and 043, 104 and 057 are at a Public function.”

Dr. Halsey crossed her arms.

“Alright, Linda and Sam can’t be recalled. They’ll probably be back tomorrow anyway. I want Kelly, Fred and Will here ASAP.”

“But..”

Aeon started her eyes big and lips pouting.

“All the senators and the press are at that function. Its important for the Spartan pro-”

“NOW Aeon.”

Aeon sighed and nodded.

“Yes Ma’am. Doctor Halsey.”

0000

Naruto was hurting. Not that surprised him any. He had thrown a full grown man into a wall, er two walls actually. And then after that he had had been forced to run. Not the best thing for a ‘bullet’ wound, or any wound for that matter.

It was bleeding again although not to badly.

“So this is where you’re staying?”

Naruto said as he huffed and puffed while looking around the small room. It was a bell tower in a large church (which meant a lot of stairs to climb hence the huffy and puffy). It was just outside the ‘safety zone’ so only soldiers came here on security checks. They had been lucky to make it. Especially after the little incident Naruto had caused. It wasn’t very big, although it was easily as large as his apartment at home. There was a mattress, some weapons and a few food items here and there. Over all it looked like Kankuro had gathered everything he’d need to live on for a few weeks.

“Ya, its out of the way. But not so far. These soldiers are talkative too. I’ve been able to gather a lot of information.”

Naruto sat down slowly onto a bean bag looking thing on the floor. After a moment of shifting he finally managed to find a semi comfortable position. For the moment he ignored the seepage of blood that was slowly staining his new clothes.

“Any idea’s what happened? How and Why we are here?”

Kankuro shook his head. Unlike last time Naruto had seen him, he wasn’t wearing any facial paint. His black hood was also thrown back, allowing his wild brownish red hair to hang low in his eyes.

“No idea.”

Kankuro paused a long moment. His face was firm, as if he was hiding some strong emotion. Not only that Naruto could see his knuckles turning white as he held onto the strap of his puppet.

“Something is…not wrong, but different about this place.”
Naruto’s eyes widened slightly. He couldn’t have said it better himself.

“I don’t know, my Chakra’s acting weird. I’ve been attempting to control the Crow from a distance for years with no luck. Then I wake up here, and within a day I can literally be miles away.”

Kankuro looked up. His face, his eyes so serious they reminded Naruto sharply of Gaara.

“We are here for a reason! I know it. I feel it! Something is happening.”

Naruto hesitated a long moment before nodded in silent agreement. Something was happening.

He’s having chakra problems to. Although from the sound of it he’s doing better. I don’t know about myself. I feel fine now. Before had been pure hell on earth. Wonder if Shikamaru and the others are experiencing these kind of things.

“We need to find the others. They’re in the city.”

Kankuro frowned his eyebrow twitching slightly.

“Not good. The city is still dangerous. The military was able to fight back the first wave, but the Covenant is still out there, just outside their long ranged weapons.”

“Well what’s dangerous then, if they’re so far away?”

Kankuro paused, then forced himself to set the puppet down. He walked across the room picking up two apples, Kankuro turned around and tossed one to Naruto before he continued.

“There is some sort of…teleportation devise in the city. The humans here keep trying to take it out without any luck. With it the Covenant come into the city at will.”

“Oh.”

Naruto looked down at the apple. It was bright red, perfectly shaped and looked very good. Still he didn’t bite into it. He didn’t really feel like eating.

I can hardly move. If I try to find them, I actually might bleed to death this time.

“I don’t want to leave them.”

Kankuro bit into his apple. Seemly not really caring, after all he was from another village.

“I’m still wounded.”

Naruto continued as he stared at his apple. Wounded was an understatement, even now he was having a tough time breathing. Still it was his fault for taking off. He should have stayed at the hotel. Hell for all he knew they were still at the hotel waiting for him.

Wincing Naruto clenched his fist. He would go, but he didn’t want to go alone. One thing for sure was that he would be slowed down big time. He was still exhausted, and he didn’t know if they had stayed at the hotel. They could be anywhere. He needed help.

“You’re not injured?”

Kankuro put the apple down.

“No.”

“Come on. We can’t just leave them.”
“Absolutely not! I am not going into that death trap!”

“The sand is our ally! You’re supposed to help!”

Naruto whined working the pout at full blast.

“Not without orders I don’t have to.”

“Kankuro…”

“I said NO!”

Naruto suddenly glared. It was a glare Kankuro had seen before. Naruto was serious now. Kankuro shifted, he didn’t like that look one bit.

“You…owe me.”

Kankuro stopped mid bite. Not a muscle moved on his body.

“You owe me Kankuro. You’re entire village does.”

Kankuro cleared his throat, as he turned toward the single window in his bell tower.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“I defeated Shukaku.”

Kankuro stiffened as the demons name drifted across the room.

“We don’t say that name.”

“I do. I have nothing to fear from it.”

Suddenly angry Kankuro Chucked his apple out the window.

“What the FUCK do you know about my village or our laws!”

“Gaara told me.”

Kankuro finally turned around his eyes a little wide.

“He did?”

“He told me that the village was in my debt for 100 years. Anything I ask for is mine for the taking. I could ask for your Kagekaze’s head on a platter and you’d be honor bound to give it to me. I could ask that all your Ninja line up in a little row and jump off a cliff…and they all would, even you. That‘s why you tried to rescue me right? If it had been anyone else you wouldn‘t have bothered.”

Kankuro cursed softly.

“You fought with Gaara. It doesn’t count when you fight the demon vessels.”

Naruto shook his head.

“No I also fought and defeated Shukaku. Don’t act like you don’t know.”

Kankuro suddenly sighed his shoulders slumping.

“That demon has been defeated 2 times not counting you. The first man used the law to become the Kazekage. The second used it to become rich and powerful, he had all his enemies line up and fall upon their own swords. We weren’t supposed to tell you about it. No ones outside our village has ever defeated it. We didn’t know what you would do.”

“Gaara told me. Just before the ceremony that made him Kazekage.”
Naruto suddenly smiled sadly.

“I think he was kind of hoping I would demand to become the Kazekage instead of him.”

Shaking his head softly Naruto looked at his hands.

“Truth be told I didn’t know what to do. To have a village…owe me everything. Everything they owned, or will own. I could become their leader or wish for their deaths. It…it was a bit of a power rush.”

“That was almost a year ago. If you knew, why didn’t you…ask for something?”

Naruto laughed, it kind of hurt but he couldn’t help it.

“Come on Kankuro. You know me. I wouldn’t do that to you or you’re village.”

Suddenly sheepish Naruto admitted.

“Although I did demand all the Ramen I could eat. I think it annoyed Gaara since I made him come with me.”

Kankuro didn‘t join in Naruto‘s laughter.

“Alright, Naruto. As the law states I obey your wishes and go will look for them.”

“Alright lets GO!”

Naruto jumped up for a second forgetting his pain.

“ACK!”

It didn’t take long for his body to remind him. Gasping he grabbed his side and fell back into his bean bag.

“Ouchies…”

Kankuro sighed and shook his head.

“Dumb ass. You say your fine but your not. Guns aren’t something to take lightly.”

After a moment of panting Naruto managed to caught his breath.

“Guns? I thought they were called bullets? That’s what she called my wound, a bullet wound.”

Kankuro snickered.

“The entire weapon is called a gun. A bullet is the piece of metal the gun spits out.”

“Huh? Then why not call it a gun wound?”
“Because a gun isn’t dangerous. The bullets are.”

“Huh?”

Kankuro laughed.

“Never mind. You stay here. You’d only slow me down anyway.”

Naruto was only half into a thought of jumping up and loudly denying that when Kankuro’s puppet grabbed his by the shoulders. Forcing his to stay seated.

“Its true. You’re wounded. Stay here, heal. I’ll cover more ground with the crow.”

Kankuro shook his head.

“I guess I should be happy. You could demand a lot more. Hell I think you’re the only person in all the ninja villages that would not use the law against us.”

With that Kankuro made a hand symbol and disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

000

God she was bored.

Smiling sweetly as she semi listened to a long self important talk some senator was giving her, Kelly looked around the room. To her far left was Chief Petty Officer Mendez, he looked about as bored as she was, and was less polite to hold it in. To her right was Fred and Will Spartans like her. She could read their movements. Their faces were pleasant, polite and attentive but Kelly could see they were anything but.

Like herself they didn’t belong here.

“So what do you think of the decorations Ms. Kelly? I had the best caters come in. No easy on such short notice.”
Kelly suppressed a flinch as she turned her attention on the senator. He was an aging man, bald and a little fat. He had been in the military years (and years) before, but hell if Kelly could see it in him.

Wonder if he was like this back then? Surely Boot would have beaten it out of him.

She hated being here. She hated this stupid dress pressed on her. It was pretty. Blue and sparkly. With a low way to low cleavage and clingy in all the right places. It fit her beautifully. But that didn’t mean it actually fit her. She missed her armor. She missed having a gun at her side and most of all she missed having people she could trust around.

She trusted her fellow Spartans of course, and the chief. But she wouldn’t trust this fat senator any farther than he could throw her.

She even hated the fact she had been ordered let her hair grow. Apparently having military standard length wasn’t considered desirable in a woman. It wasn’t long, barely to her shoulders, but it was long enough to drive her crazy.

But in the end, it wasn’t the small talk that bothered her. Or the fact that everyone here was a snore. What really annoyed her, was how everyone said her name like it was nothing. She didn’t like it. Her whole life she’d been 087. Everyone knew her by that number. Even the other Spartans reverted back to the number system unless they were one on one. Only Doctor Halsey, their mother so to speak ever called her Kelly. It seemed…wrong, that this little man abusive the bond she…they all had to their mother.

“The decorations are beautiful Senator Fredrick.”

“Well I spared no expense.”

The little man went on. Obviously enjoying her company a little to much. Kelly forced herself to relax. Don’t clench your teeth and don’t clench your hands. Be mindful of all the news camera’s around. Relax and listen.

“Its not everyday a man gets to have such beautiful and talented guests. Not everyday Spartans come calling.”

Kelly smiled, although it was less than friendly now.

“Well it’s the Navy’s plan. As you know there was some…slack of support for several branches of work within the army. Our superiors thought that perhaps if the Spartan program became more open, more publicized, then perhaps the public would rally behind us more. Moral is very low. Especially…now.”

“Yes yes, of course. All politics and whatnot. Although I do have to admit that armor of yours is intimidating. Not as much as your old ones, you know the green things. I’m still glad you all came so dressed up. And you my dear dressed up exceedingly well.”

Kelly glanced over toward Fred. She blinked as he twitched a finger. It was part of their communication. A twitch there, a nod here. Fred was being about as comforting as a Spartan could. He was telling her to hang in there. The night was almost over. And yes he was as grossed out as she was that the senator was hitting on her.

Suddenly out of the corner of her eye Kelly caught something. Jerking her head side ways, all her attention now focused sharply, the senator gasped and spilled a little bit of the champagne he had in his hands. She could feel his sudden discomfort at her focus. A Spartan a true Spartan wasn’t something a regular man could handle. They were to vigilant to raw and to powerful. Kelly had been carefully suppressing all of that, until now. Something wasn’t right. Off to her right and left she noticed that everyone, including Chief Mendez was also focused.

A man opened the door. He looked around in a hurried way, he seemed relieved when he spotted the chief. He then fairly ran through the crowd to get to him.

“Excuse me Senator Fredrick.”
Kelly remembering her manners…something Aeon had been trying for almost a year now to slam into their thick skulls.

“It seems something’s maybe wrong.”

“Yes of course.”

The Senator said suddenly all sully.

Kelly, along with her brothers all made their way toward the Chief. They could tell by his expression something was off.

“We have a situation. Please follow me.”

Mendez stated without even looking up to see if they were here. He knew them all to well.

If Doctor Halsey was their mother, then the Chief was their father. It seemed almost surreal to be under his command again, but since he was the trainer of the Spartans it was deemed he should be included in this little public stunt. It goal was to humanize the Spartans. Make them more public friendly to help Moral of several crippled worlds.

“Sir. Are we going to New Mombasa?”

Kelly asked as soon as they were away from the party. She knew she was being a little forward but she couldn’t help it. One could only take this kind of thing for so long.

I hate that they picked me for this. I want to be with Linda and Sam.

Still she couldn’t blame anyone. She had been told the reasons for her Fred and Will being chosen to represent their Spartans.

They were the most…eye friendly as Dr. Halsey had put it. While most Spartans didn’t look bad, some were just to much for the public to feel toward. Sam for example was easily two heads taller than everybody. While he had a friendly smile, his size was simply to daunting for most.

It was a horrible job, but Dr. Halsey and the others thought it was necessary. So she did her job. Without complaints and without question.

Although that didn’t mean she wouldn’t jump at a chance for some real action. She had been about as close to bitter as she could be that they hadn’t been dispatched to the port. A city on Earth that two days ago had been attacked. Supposedly the Covenant had been driven back, the city evacuated. But the Covenant for some reason refused to withdraw, even though for once the humans had been clear winners.

“Yes actually. There has been some strange things happening. The Covenant had all but left the city but suddenly there are reports of activity.”

The Chief stopped as he studied the papers given to him.

“Not only that but there’s been some strange things happening at a local hospital. You are all being recalled to help as the situation warrants. I’ll take over here.”
“YES SIR!”

All the Spartans said as they snapped a salute. Then without a word they left. They knew where to go, what to do.

Mendez sighed.

“I hate politics.”

He muttered as he turned and went back to the party.

AN: Following Bungies example I have named Aeon the AI after a legendary sword. Can anyone guess where I got the name from? I’ll reward the correct answer with an early reading of chapter 8 (read it before I post it :P ) Just email me the answer or send a message. Don’t do the review thing with the answer cause then others can read your answer and cheat.