Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Without Any Destiny ❯ Chapter 2: Yuri, Lily of The Valley ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: Yuri, Lily of the Valley

`…my memories began when I first met her. Charming, beautiful, witty… something I found interesting inside most women. She had a beautiful smile, rather appealing to me. Her eyes looked as if she was peering what was deep down in my soul. It was if time stopped when I noticed her looking at me. I wonder if it was all because of destiny. I felt as if we knew each other a long time ago. I knew what I must do. I can't keep hiding behind the invisible curtains of bashfulness and let her taunt me of my cowardice. I've always watched her from afar. Now, it's my chance. I must speak to her. I must know her. At the very least, able to know her name…'

Gai Sensae shut his book as he felt something sneaking up on him, trying to read whatever he was reading. He shut his eyes and a nerve grew on his head.

"Rock Lee, there is no need for you to read whatever I'm reading!!"

"But, Sensae, it seemed like you were enjoying it…your face sweating madly and your girlish giggles…"

"I DO NOT DO GIRLISH GIGGLES!"

"Plus, one more thing, Sensae…"

Rock Lee pulled Sensae's ear closer, whispering…

"Your… ermm… `best friend' is sticking up aright…"

Gai Sensae put Rock Lee in front of him and walked ahead.

"Thank you for your `sharp observation'…"

"I understand, Sensae…"

Tenten shook his head as she watched the both of them. Neji and Yuri were walking behind the trio. Yuri kept glancing at Neji, as if trying to read his mind.

"Neji-kun…?"

"What is it?"

"Are you worried or something?"

He looked away as Yuri stared at him, waiting for an answer. He sighed and shook his head.

"It's nothing…"

"Oh…"

Neji looked up and gazed at the sky. He kept thinking about what was his purpose in life. Just to be and live as a ninja? He shook his head, hesitatingly. No, he felt there were more things in life than just being as one. Somehow, he felt ninjas should do more than escorting people around or getting paid for doing charity work.

`Speaking of escorting business, what was Yuri's purpose to Konoha Village anyway?'

"Yuri-san…"

"Hmm…?"

"Why are you going to Konoha Village in the first place?"

"Well… first reason's got to be visiting the Hokage. Second would be tourism. And thirdly…"

Yuri put her hand on her cheek and sighed. She looked a little glum but she put on a weak smile.

"… I'm here to see Uchiha Sasuke."

Uchiha Sasuke… The sole survivor of the tragic Uchiha family... The one most girls in Konoha are crazy about… the genius of his freshman year… alongside with his team, Haruno Sakura; the girl who has two minds and a big crush on Sasuke, Uzumaki Naruto; the loud noisy one in the team, and their supervisor, Hatake Kakashi; Gai Sensae's lifetime rival. Was Sasuke that famous outside of Konoha? That he had to ask…

"Why are you looking for him?"

"He is a part of my duty. I have important business with Sasuke-kun."

`She called him Sasuke-kun. They must have a connection from a long time ago…'

"You know Sasuke-kun?"

"Not that much…"

"How does he look like now? I haven't seen him in years…"

Years… That explains it all. Neji shook his head, replying,

"… I have nothing to do with him. He's just a strong opponent."

"Oh…"

Tenten shouted from in front.

"Sasuke has grown better-looking. The girls in Konoha are crazy about him! It was as if he was some rare item… But, what can you say? He is after all, the genius of his freshman year. You'll notice him anywhere. I think they have a fan club for him back in Konoha."

"Oh… I see…That's nice to hear…"

"So, Yuri, what is your connection to Sasuke?" Rock Lee asked.

"Sasuke-kun? He's an old childhood friend of mine. I visited him once when he was very young."

Yuri looked up and began to think, humming.

"Come to think of it… It's been a few years before the tragedy."

".. You mean the Uchiha tragedy?"

"Yeah… It was pretty sad to hear, too…"

The atmosphere turned all silent. A gentle warm breeze blew by as a rain of leaves fell. Yuri took her hat out and let the wind blow through her hair. She was holding tightly to her hat, recalling something she heard. She halted in her steps.

"Gai Sensae, can we take a break?"

Gai Sensae halted and turned. He nodded his head and the five of them rested under the shady tree, taking a break after a long walk. Yuri sat in one corner, shutting her eyes tightly. Gai Sensae approached her, softly patting her head.

"What did you hear now…?"

"… Something is going to……"

Her voice suddenly couldn't be heard. Gai Sensae couldn't understand a word she said as her voice went out. She was frightened of something that was going to happen. Neji saw her expression of fear and anxiety on her face. She knew something… Yuri shut her eyes and breathed.

"Take a deep breath, child, and tell me, what did you hear…?"

"Gai Sensae… something is going to…………"

Again, her voice went out. She shook her head.

"There's no use, Gai Sensae. I'm not allowed to speak it out. I would have but… I'm afraid that he sealed something in the wind…"

`He?' Neji thought, listening close by.

"… It's alright. You think you're in perfect condition to walk on?"

"I… must make it… before it's too late."

"Alright, let's leave."

The five of them began to continue their journey. The conversation before began to trigger Neji to try to figure out a few things. What was Yuri actually to begin with? Who was the mystery man she was frightened of? What is Sasuke's real relation to Yuri? And what is this secret that Gai Sensae and Yuri hiding from them? Neji tried hard to crack his head. This is becoming way suspicious, especially with someone who wants to keep most things confidential and acting weird.

Yuri put her hat on and walked ahead. Yuri turned to Neji.

"Neji-kun... Did you hear about the mysterious ninja that haunts the ninja world lately?"

".. I heard… He has all kind of powers… Sharingan, Byakugan… and more… But that sounds impossible."

"… He seems popular…"

"… Kind of. Recent rumor was that he had an alter ego that was the contrast of his powers. I wonder what it is…"

"Alter ego, huh?"

Yuri bit her lip. The mysterious ninja… It seems like everyone has been talking about it recently when he made two attacks, killing every victim, leaving no evidence behind. He struck without any warning in a few important towns. Both of the victims happened to be innocent lives.

"What's wrong? Have you anything to do with it?"

"No… not at all…"

"… You're acting suspiciously… Are you really a normal citizen as we think you are?"

"I am. I am harmless and defenseless. You need not to worry."

Yuri shook her head.

"Neji-kun… do you have a desire to fight the mysterious ninja?"

"Sometimes… I guess I do. I want to see how strong he is actually."

"… Please, don't fight him…"

"Why not?"

Yuri looked away, then turning back at Neji. He was suspicious of her. She seemed a little weird to begin with.

"Believe me… Don't fight him. Don't throw your life away."

"Cowardice is for the weak."

"Sometimes, it's the best action to take. I sense so much hatred in you…"

"I think you're hiding something from us."

".. That's nothing for you to know."

"I think you should tell us straight off now."

"Neji! That'll be enough!" Gai Sensae commanded. Neji stopped and turned away haughtily, furious and confused over the answer. Yuri ran ahead, and followed Gai Sensae closely. Neji walked behind them, with Tenten and Rock Lee. Neji did a few hand seals.

"Byakugan!" he said softly.

His eyes changed. Tenten and Rock Lee watched him. Neji was analyzing and then, he closed his eyes. He shook his head, cursing.

"What did you see, Neji?"

"Nothing special. She has very minimal chakra. It's true. She's harmless to us all."

"Then, why are you frustrated?"
"My frustration… has nothing to do with this."

Neji's eyes returned back to normal. He could not believe anything. His suspicions about her were not wrong. He shook his head.

"Maybe at Konoha, I'll find out about it… I'm sure Yuri isn't what she is… I will reveal her identity if I have to put my life on it…"