Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Without Any Destiny ❯ Chapter 3: Konoha Village: Reunion of Childhood Friends ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: Konoha Village: Reunion of Childhood Friends

`I haven't seen her in years. That's why I had this feeling we met a very long time ago. She was the neighbor of mine that used to come over and play with me. Although she was a few years older… she used to be the big sister of the place. Now, we've both grown up and she looks so beautiful. What is this feeling I have? Is it the feeling of a faraway maternal bond? Or is it love? I simply don't know what to do… She remembers me... and yet… I can't remember her... I couldn't even remember her name…'

"Gai Sensae, what are you humming to yourself?"

"Oh… something I read a while ago…"

"I hope it's nothing stupid…" Tenten warned.

"We're here!"

They stepped foot into the village. It was large and busy as always. Neji folded arms and spat in arrogance. On other hand, Yuri awed at the majesty of the village.

"Wow… It's grown larger than the last time I came here…"

"… (So, she has been here before…)"

"Wow! Look at all the buildings! This is certainly bigger than Hana!"

Yuri looked around and walked ahead. She was mesmerized by the village's growth since the last time. Gai Sensae and the others followed her behind slowly. They thought it was normal for her to act like that since she hasn't been here for a long time. She looked everywhere until she didn't notice where she was going.

"Yuri, watch out!" Tenten cried.

It was too late. Yuri had knocked someone and fell down as well. Tenten rushed ahead to help her. Yuri rubbed back as she noticed she knocked into someone. She blushed and bowed before him.

"I'm s-sorry… I wasn't looking where I was going…"

"… Pft…"

She got up again. It was a young lad, with dark hair and sharp eyes. He wore a black shirt and white pants. He had a frown on his face. Tenten picked Yuri up.

"Yuri-san, are you alright?"

"I'm fine…"

Tenten turned and smiled. She tugged Yuri's shirt.

"I guess fate has its' own ways on making people come together…"

"Next time, watch where you're going!"

"I-I'm terribly sorry." Yuri apologized again.

"Yuri-san! Yuri-san! This is who you're looking for."

"Who she's looking for? Who is she to begin with?"

"No way… You're Sasuke-kun?!"

"Sasuke-kun? How do you know my name and how do we know each other?"

Tenten had been right all along. Fate had a way of pulling people to meet. Looks like Yuri had knocked into Sasuke after all. Yuri sighed in relief and smiled.

"Osashiburi dane, Sasuke-kun? (It's been a long time, hasn't it, Sasuke-kun?)"

"…I don't remember who you are… Who are you to begin with?"

"Eh?! You mean you don't remember?!" Tenten cried out aloud.

"… Nope."

"Maybe it's been a long time since we've met. I'm Yuri, remember? The one who followed Shirokage's daughter to your house? I met you when you were just a kid…."

Sasuke bit his lip and began to think. Sakura and Naruto, his team mates just arrived.

"Sasuke-kun, where did you go?" Sakura asked.

"Why are you here with Tenten and her friend?" Naruto asked.

"… Now, I remember. You're that Yuri?!"

"Yes. I'm glad you remember." Yuri replied with a smile.

"Sasuke-kun, how do you know her?"

"Long story. I'm not going to tell any of you yet."

"Pft… (Damn you Sasuke! Always keeping things to yourself!)"

Sasuke looked at Yuri. She was different from who she was before but her smile and personality was still the same. She was still the cheerful girl with a certain glow in her eye he knew before. Gai Sensae and all walked towards Yuri.

"Yuri, we'll head on first. We're all pretty tired. I'm sure you have a lot of things to talk about with Sasuke."

"Alright, Gai Sensae…"

"Tenten, I'll go with her…"

"Fine with me, Neji. I'm tired anyway." Tenten replied.

"Alright then, goodbye everyone." Gai Sensae announced, walking away with Tenten and Rock Lee. Neji kept a close watch on Yuri. He still has his doubts on her. Yuri held Sasuke's hand and said,

"Sasuke-kun… I have some important things to tell you. Can we talk in private?"

"… Fine by me. Sakura, Naruto, go on home. I've got things to finish off with."

"… How come Neji gets to stay with you?" Naruto said angrily.

"Neji's my bodyguard." Yuri replied quickly.

"Pft…"

"Alright then, Sasuke. We'll catch you soon." Sakura said.

Sakura and Naruto walked away, though Sakura felt a little uneasy. Sasuke turned to Yuri and he led them back to his place.

Time passes by. Sasuke and Neji looked at each other for a while. Both of them hated each others' guts but neither wanted to care about what happens between them. Yuri straightens her skirt and clears her throat.

"I hope you haven't forgotten your engagement with Milady."

"Pft… She sent you? That's believable."

"Milady?" Neji asked.

"Her Milady is my fiancée. It's one long engagement story which I don't like to speak about."

"Uchiha has a fiancée?!"

"Yes… In fact, Sasuke-kun, she misses you dearly."

"Then, why don't she come and see me by herself instead of sending her servants?"

"I'm not her servant, for your information. I'm her close friend."

"…Sorry. But still I don't intend to be her fiancé in the first place!"

"Don't be rash. You're only twelve."

"And she's sixteen?!"

"Age is not a matter."

Yuri bit her lip, upsettingly disturbed by Sasuke's answer. Neji watched her carefully at her reaction. Sasuke sighed, throwing a shuriken on the wall.

"I haven't seen her before. She always wears this dark veil around her face. All I know is that she's sixteen and my fiancée. I don't know anything else about her…"

"Well, soon enough you will. Now, to the real reason why I'm here. "

"Real reason?"

"It's about the mysterious ninja."

The atmosphere went silent and everything became tensed. Neji folded his arms, waiting for the answer. Sasuke threw another shuriken on the wall.

"I heard… The one that kills without any reason…"

"Have you met him yet?"

"No… not yet. I heard he was the Milady's brother."

"That, I'm not so sure. But, it's a good thing you haven't met him yet."

"Why's that?"

"…Because his main purpose now is to kill you…"

Everybody felt taken back by Yuri's reply. Neji began thinking.

`So… She's not the real mysterious ninja… She's here to warn the town about him.'

"… Pft… I'm not frightened."

"I know… but I worry too much."

"So… your purpose is to warn the town about him?" Neji asked.

"No… my main purpose here is to keep an eye on Sasuke-kun and make sure he doesn't meet up with him… Besides that, I… also have a score to settle with the ninja…"

"Why is that?"

"… That is a secret. I'll tell you when the time comes."

"… Pft… He doesn't scare me."

"Stop acting tough, Uchiha-boy! It's nothing to fool around with. This is a matter of life and death here. There have been 2 deaths already. One victim was a respectable ninja and his entire family." Neji shouted, banging his fist on the table.

Yuri felt the wind blow strongly in the air. She looked disturbed. Her face was already pale.

"What is it, Yuri?" asked Sasuke.

"What do you mean?"

"Yuri has the ability to hear the voices of the wind, knowing the secrets that no one else knows. That is the only ability I know about her. I haven't seen her fight before because she always refused to fight. I wonder why…"

"… He's coming…" Yuri said.

"Damn! That fast?!" Sasuke cried in alarm.

"Who's coming? You mean the mysterious ninja?"

"… Something terrible happened. He's-"

Yuri collapsed on the chair. Neji tried to wake her up.

"She had to faint at a time like this…"

"… Pft… Looks like I said too soon…"

Sasuke got his dagger ready in his hand, ready to pounce any moment on any attacking enemy. Neji laid Yuri properly on the floor. He didn't know why but he felt a rush of fear and adrenaline run in his blood.