Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Without Any Destiny ❯ Chapter 4: Counterstrike! Surprise Visit from the Mysterious Ninja! ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4: Counterstrike! Surprise Visit from the Mysterious Ninja!

`…Danger struck any moment. Her brother didn't like the idea of us meeting each other. In fact, it displeases him. He didn't like me one bit. It seemed that he against about us even though her father agreed about the matter. He always plotted a way to get back at me. He wanted me to suffer. He wanted me to stay away from her. She didn't care. She always comes to visit me no matter what her brother did. She had great courage. She wasn't discouraged when her brother tried to make me look like a fool. Nevertheless, the power of our love was strong… But he knew he had to do something… He had to ruin our relationship no matter what…'

The book on top of Gai Sensae's table shut tight when the wind blew in. Gai Sensae was awakened by the noise. He felt something amiss. It felt as if there was a bad omen lurking nearby.

The wind blew temperamentally. There was blood on the ground. A few higher jounins were investigating the case. Kakashi Hatake, who happened to be nearby, helped out in the investigation. He shook his head as he saw the victim. A medic helped out.

"How is he?" Kakashi asked.

"He's fine. He can still live."

"Is he conscious?"

"In fact, he is."

Kakashi walked up to the victim. He was a ninja from the country of Water. He seemed to be afraid of something. His leg was severely torn and his hands with cut wounds everywhere. His face so badly bruised until they couldn't recognize him from his passport.

`What kind of monster did this to him?'

"Who did this you? What did you see?"

"S-S-Sharingan… Wind… Blood… Fangs…"

"Fangs?! Sharingan?! How did he look like? Tell me!"

Before Kakashi could get an answer, the ninja collapsed and fainted. The medic rushed to his aid and took him away. Kakashi spat in anger.

`This is the third attack. If this goes on, the ninjas will be wiped out. Hokage isn't here… I must consult with Jiraiya. The town cannot survive at this rate. He must be stopped.'

The wind grew wilder. Sasuke couldn't help feeling this tensed. The feeling hasn't left him for quite a while. Neji got a dagger ready as well. He felt uneasy abut the whole thing. The mysterious ninja, Yuri's visit; the whole thing… It got him thinking too much. His heart's adrenaline began to pump faster. He looked at Yuri. Though she fell unconscious, but there was still an uneasy look on her face. Neji could tell that even in this state, she was worried about Sasuke. She was worried about the mysterious ninja as well.

"Tell me, Sasuke. Why is the ninja after you…?"

"I… don't know that myself. Maybe he has a grudge on me or something…"

"… What is Yuri to you?"

"WHAT?!"

"I ask you a question. What is Yuri to you?"

"Yuri… is a childhood friend I haven't met in years."
"And your fiancée?"

"… Look, I haven't seen her in years as well! She means nothing to me."

"But Yuri… was she someone dear to you?"

"…"

Sasuke sighed. Neji was trying to figure out things but this is not helping him at all.

"Yuri… was someone I looked up to when I was young. I used to adore her when I was much younger. She was always with me as my brother was always with my fiancée. She was always there for me, I guess… But this has nothing to do with it!"

"That's what you think. But it might be why the Ninja's after you."

"… Pft…"

"Well, she came here all the way to meet you. She also came here to talk to the Hokage but unfortunately, what she didn't know was that the Hokage is dead. Don't take it as a fact. Just take it as a hypothesis. It could be the reason."

There was loud laughter on the roof. Sasuke and Neji were alerted and moved to defend themselves. Their blood ran cold and sweat dripped down their face.

"Osashiburi dane, Sasuke-kun…"

"Why are you here?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

"Are you here to kill me?"

Sasuke felt cold wind blow as something entered the room. He turned around. It was the Mysterious Ninja in a mask. His long dark hair blew as the wind in the room shook everything inside. Sasuke smirked.

"You hypocrite… You don't even dare to show your face…"

"I'm afraid if I did, you might die before you can catch a glimpse…"

The mysterious ninja turned and saw Neji. He gave a slight chuckle that made them feel rather intimidated.

"Oh, so you've brought a Byakugan friend as well! How interesting…"

"I'm not his friend. I'm Yuri's bodyguard."

"Yuri's bodyguard? I never thought she needed any."

The mysterious ninja walked towards Yuri. Instinctively, Neji ran to protect her but his swift moves were blocked by the ninja's power. Neji flew back as he felt wind blow him away and at the same time hurting him. Neji cried in pain and landed, hitting himself against the wall. Neji coughed blood out from his mouth, as there were unopened wounds on his body. Sasuke looked at Neji. He was frozen with fear.

"Do not mock me."

The mysterious ninja approached closer to Yuri. Time was running. Sasuke felt his legs numbed with fear. Cold sweat dripped down his neck. Neji had a hard time getting up as the pain was intense and the wounds began to open, making him bleed.

`Move… Move…'

"Yuri-san… it's been a while…"

`MOVE!'

With great strength, Sasuke felt his legs push forward as he darted to save Yuri. Swiftly, he managed to grab her away from the mysterious ninja's clutches and landed a few meters away from him. The mysterious ninja gave him a stern growl. Sasuke breathed heavily as he put Yuri to the ground.

"So, you do care about her after all… What a surprise…"

"Don't you dare lay your hands on Yuri!"

"*chuckle* Looks like I have to kill you."

"Kill me if you manage to catch me!"

"Oho… So your Sharingan is already out… What a surprise…"

Sasuke's blood-red Sharingan stared at him... Looks like the mysterious ninja was after Yuri… Neji got up to his feet. Adrenaline filled the atmosphere. Sasuke was going to fight the Mysterious Ninja, somehow or another.

"Sasuke-kun, you've grown up so much. No wonder Orochimaru favors you."

"Orochimaru? How did you--?"

"I happen to know a lot. In fact, Orochimaru sent me to see Yuri."

"Yuri? What does he want with her?"

"Isn't it obvious? Orochimaru wants her ability."

Sasuke bit his lip. Yuri's ability to hear the wind is what Orochimaru wants. But why does he want her ability? He already has an army of great ninjas and sacrifices.

"Orochimaru has a great army already. Why does he need Yuri?"

"Of course, he has a great army, which includes you and me as well…"

"...Pft…"

"Nevertheless, he needs a strong army. Yuri's ability to hear what others don't hear is something you don't get everyday. He wants to use Yuri… as his pawn."

"Pawn or not, you'll have to get through me first before!"

The mysterious ninja chuckled and placed a seal on his hand. Alerted, Sasuke got ready to defend himself. He was ready for the worst.

"Don't worry, Sasuke-kun. I'm not going to waste my chakra on you today. Besides… sooner or later, you are going to hand her over to him… someday…"

"If that ever happens, I'll kill myself…"

The mysterious ninja laughed and disappeared. Sasuke looked around. The wind was gone. Gai Sensae and Kakashi Sensae arrived a little too late. Sasuke shut his eyes and returned them back to normal. Yuri was still unconscious. Neji was too tired to even keep his balance. The room was a real mess. Gai Sensae looked around.

"He came, didn't he?"

"… Yeah…"

"Is everybody alright?" Kakashi asked. He looked at everybody. Gai Sensae rushed to Neji and helped him to lie down. Neji groaned in pain.

"Looks like you've only managed to hurt yourself externally. It'll recover."

He checked for any other injury on Neji. There was not much, only cuts on his hand and legs.

"No internal injury. That's good."

"… Pft…"

"Sasuke, where did the ninja go?" Kakashi asked immediately.

"He disappeared."

Kakashi shook his head and began to think.

"I'm going to see Jiraiya. This matter cannot wait any longer. In the meantime, you help Gai Sensae carry the injured back home."

"…Pft… Fine."

"Kakashi… Do you think Jiraiya will be able to do something?"

"Maybe… If this doesn't work, I have to go to higher authorities."

"… I understand."

Kakashi left with light speed as Gai Sensae carried Neji. He looked at Sasuke.

"You there! You can start helping me by carrying Yuri home."

"Pft… Why must I carry her?"

"Because Neji is in need of delicate care. Yuri isn't injured at all. You help carry her."

Gai Sensae walked off with Neji ahead. Sasuke looked at Yuri. She was not awake yet. He shook his head. He slowly put Yuri against his back and piggy-back rides her back to Gai's place. While walking to his house, the sun had begun to set. The river was shining, reflecting the gold sun's face on its' waters. Sasuke felt Yuri's lightness on him. He could feel her every breath. He began thinking of the time when Yuri carried him home when he was injured. She seemed to talk to him about everything just to make him forget the pain. It was something like this moment. Last time it was her turn, this time it was his. Sasuke awoke from his thoughts when he heard Yuri slowly waking up. He could feel her lean her head against his shoulder.

"Sasuke-kun… What happened?"

"… Nothing much. I'll tell you when the time comes."

"Sasuke-kun… have I been a burden for you?"

"… Not really."

She smiled as she hung on Sasuke tightly.

"Sasuke-kun, you've grown up so much…"

"Oh, as in how?"

"For instance, you've grown up much stronger… Last time, it was my turn… I was carrying you like this... Do you remember?"

"Yeah… I remember. Now, it's my turn."

"Sasuke-kun, you've grown quieter and I noticed you frown a lot. Nevertheless, you've grown much better-looking than before, just like I predicted you to be…"

"…"

Sasuke felt taken back by her words. She seemed to remember so much of the times they've been together as kids yet he seemed to have forgotten.

"That was those days. We were still kids."

"Yes… but those days were pleasant. Funny why I always feel so comfortable when I'm with you… Maybe it's because I've known you for so long…"

"… Things changed. I've changed…"

"I know. You're nervous now, being around me and all, right?"

"…"

She was right. His heart had an uncertain beat now. He was feeling a little nervous.

"You can put me down if you feel uncomfortable…"

"It's okay… Besides, it's my turn to do something for you."

"… Alright…"

"By the way, how old are you?"

"I'm sixteen…"

"Seriously?"

"What? I'm serious."

"I thought you were younger than that. Somewhat older than me about a year or two."

"Four years is almost the same."

She chuckled at Sasuke. She wasn't surprised that he thought like that. After all, when he met her, she did lie to him that she was only a year older just to be a friend to him. Probably he didn't remember about what she said.

"You know, all this while, I've been thinking, `How much has that little boy from the Uchiha Family grown? I hope he isn't still crying.' I often imagined you crying."

"Well, I'm no longer the crybaby you used to know."

"Well, the crybaby was cute… The grown one didn't seem cute anymore…"

"…Pft…"

".. Only much more handsome…"

Sasuke flushed as Yuri said that. Yuri laughed as she felt Sasuke begin to feel shy. Sasuke pouted at her answer.

"You still treat me like a kid… I've changed. I'm no longer the kid you used to know."

"But in my heart, you are still the kid I used to know… only stronger…"

"…"

Sasuke walked further ahead with Yuri on his back. He knew Yuri still treated him as the child he was. In his heart, he was determined to do something to mend this matter.

"Yuri-san, how long will you be here?"

"A few months or so… Maybe here for even a few years… Why?"

"Alright then, I'll make a vow to you. I'll make you see that I've grown into a man. I want you to see that I'm no longer the kid you used to know."

"Why do you want to do that?"
"I want you to acknowledge me that I've grown. I don't want you to think I'm the little boy you knew a few years back. So, I'll do everything to prove it to you within that period of time…"

"Really? Then, I'll be watching."

"Alright then. Make sure you watch me as I grow… and I'll make you regret you ever called me a kid."

Yuri smiled, feeling amazed at the same time at Sasuke's determination.

`I know you'll be a man, Sasuke… Some day…'

***Author's notes: Ehehe. Hello again. Well, I've changed my style of writing this time a little. I wanted this Naruto fanfic to be better than my last work. If you like this fanfic so far, that's good for me to know. No, this is not the end yet. Heh. The best is yet to come.

Well, about this chapter, I wrote down in a piece of paper first and I made a comparison on what've I written so far on the paper and in here. Well, I made many changes. In the second paragraph, it was s'pose to be ANBU investigating and not Kakashi. Chouji was the s'pose to be the victim. Well, I wanted Kakashi to be there with Gai Sensae when the Ninja was gone. Besides, I have better plans for Chouji. ^_^

In the third paragraph, it was s'pose to be the Ninja mocking them only. There was no fight between. There was no Neji getting hurt, no Sharingan, and no mysterious Ninja making any cameo appearance. Well, I decided to make it slightly interesting if I wanted to sell this. After all, what is Sasuke without his cool moves, eh?

Well, another big change was Sasuke carrying Yuri home. It was s'pose to be Neji carrying Yuri home actually and there was not much said between them. I rewrote the whole thing and make things spice up between Yuri and Sasuke. ^_^;;

But don't worry; Neji will play a very important part in this fanfic, as he is one of the main characters. All right, I guess that's it for now. I hope you keep reading this fanfic. Naruto forever!!