Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Without Any Destiny ❯ Chapter 8: Sasuke’s Feelings: Part 1: The Memory of the Sapphire Tear ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8: Sasuke's Feelings: Part 1: The Memory of the Sapphire Tear

`…while I was lost in the middle of the forest, I stumbled upon a mysterious shining lake. There was a strange mist that kept getting thicker and thicker. I noticed that there was something there, flickering in the darkness, waiting to be picked up by somebody. I felt my legs sink into something wet. I must be in the lake. I waded a bit and I noticed that the soft emanating light grew brighter and brighter. I felt my body sink deeper and deeper. I swam for it. After a few seconds, I began to rethink why I was here in the first place. Finally, things became clearer and there, before me, was this crystal-blue water nymph sitting on a rock, singing and crying at the same time. Her voice was enchanting which made me closer towards her. When I reached her, I noticed she was shedding a few tears, which fell like rocks into the water. She put her hand out as a tear fell into her hand. I was amazed to find a real sapphire tear in her hand. She gave it to me and then, the next thing I know, the nymph was gone…'

The air of the night was cool and calm. It had this sense of lingering melancholy ringing in its temperature. The moon was watching her admirers as she playfully hides behind her maidservants of clouds, shyly hiding her beauty away. The stars glowed bashfully in order not to overshadow the moon's beauty. The sapphire and emerald glowed together in harmony in the radiant light as the platinum chain seemed as fair as the moon. Sasuke dangled the necklace in the air.

"I would have… but something tells me that this was not the right time. Not yet. You haven't grown up yet. Until you understand this, then only will you be acknowledged by me as a grown man. For now, Sasuke, you are not ready to listen to it all."

Her voice still lingered in his mind. He swung the necklace from side to side as his eyes fixed on them. Not yet? What does she mean by `not yet'? He still couldn't figure out what she meant. It was if she was waiting for him until he was ready. But when? Sasuke groaned. Not afar, another figure sneaked into the balcony. It was Kakashi Sensae, and he was still holding a book in his hand. Sasuke didn't turn his attention away from the necklace.

"Did she give you that?"

"…Yeah."

"Is it a gift?"

"More like a riddle…"

Sasuke sighed as he gazed at the necklace. It made no difference no matter how he looked at it. It was just a PLAIN SIMPLE NECKLACE. He groans again and clenches the necklace tightly.

"She's very clever. Do not underestimate her. She had a reason why she gave you that."

"I know! She said that if I manage to understand this, then only will she acknowledge me."

"… That's why she gave it to you. It was for you to find out. Take it as a test."

"I DON'T WANT ANY OF THESE STUPID TESTS!"

Sasuke flings the necklace to the ground but was safely caught by Kakashi's kunai before it flings hard to the ground. Sasuke smacks his forehead and sighs. He was confused. He was tired of all these games. He just wanted a plain simple answer.

"Sasuke… don't get down easily just because of this."

"I can't think anymore! I don't know what she wants me to do!"

"Yuri is as cunning as her mother. They both speak in riddles a lot. It's no wonder Yuri looks a lot like her mother. Her mother always gave us riddles. It may sound a little confusing but every single line or word she said meant something deep."

Kakashi's eyes gazed into a further distance. There was a long silence between the both of them. Sasuke tried to reflect on what Kakashi was trying to say. It seemed impossible for him.

"Sasuke-kun, remember when you said there was no difference even though she was here? Well, it seemed you haven't noticed that change in you."

"What change?"

"Well, I've been watching you train lately. In your eyes, I noticed a different glow. It no longer had the fiery glow I used to see. Instead, the fire in your eyes seems to have died down. Your attacks are no longer vicious and threatening. Your kunai shot seemed to not pierce the tree bark deep. You rather let Naruto and Sakura take the lead in every team activity and your performance is slowly dropping. You may act as if you're doing everything like normal but you are actually falling behind."

"Are you telling me that Yuri is the cause of this?" Sasuke snapped back.

Kakashi shook his head. Sasuke no longer had the tenacious and calm look. Instead, he had softened down a little. His eyes did not have fiery glow he used to have when he pledge to kill Itachi with his own hands. It seems something else had driven him away from the vengeance he had solemnly planted within him.

"It's a possibility. You have to look at yourself again, Sasuke, and understand."

Kakashi decided to leave Sasuke in peace for a moment. He had hopes that his most brilliant student will find the answer deep within him.

Sasuke turned as he noticed that Kakashi's shadow was no longer there. He looked around. The necklace was still hanging on the wall, holding tightly to the kunai. He pulled the kunai out and placed the necklace in his hand. He sighed a moment.

`Maybe this was all a wild goose chase… How am I ever going to find the meaning?'

"That's a pretty necklace. Can I see it?"

"Sakura-san…"

Sakura was right behind him. Her bright green eyes shone with a little joy and she smiled. Sasuke gave her the necklace, then turning back, leaning on the balcony rail. Sakura swung the necklace and then, leaned against the balcony rail beside Sasuke.

"You know… every jewel has a meaning of its own."

"…"

"From what I read and heard, sapphires are deep-blue jewels which tend to bring a state of peace for the mind and they have a very humble and calm glow within them. Emeralds are green jewels of jealousy and their bright glow state of their power…"

`Calm… power… Wait, is that it?'

Sasuke turned attentively to Sakura as he heard her say it.

"What about platinum?"

"Well… if I'm not mistaken, platinum is a sign of eternity as it is said that platinum is the only metal that will not rust or change color. That's why it's called `white gold' in some terms. But I'm not quite sure about it… Some say that platinum is the sign of innocence…"

Sasuke had a sudden brainstorm. A platinum necklace with a sapphire ring and emerald ring… He might have the answer to the riddle after all! He smiled and shook Sakura's hands.

"Thanks, Sakura! You're a lifesaver!"

"Wh--? … Anytime at all…"

Sakura returned the necklace as Sasuke put it in his hands. He quickly leapt down form the balcony and jumped swiftly above rooftops. Sakura watched Sasuke as he leapt away. She sighed as she watched him go off like that.

"… Why can't I make Sasuke acknowledge me?"

Yuri was gazing out of her window, staring deeply into the starry night. The atmosphere of the night was soothing and calm, unlike the busy daytime. Everyone has gone to sleep and safe inside their homes. She closed her eyes for a moment, trying to feel the serenity of the night. There was no breeze that night. It was very warm. She reached her hands out and suddenly felt something warm in her hands.

`Funny… There shouldn't be anything…'

She opened her eyes and sighed. Her hands were holding Sasuke's face. He was standing out on the roof, clinging tightly to the windowsill. She let go of his face with a sudden jerk.

"Sasuke-kun… Why are you here?"

"What were you reaching for anyway?"

"Nothing… I was just going to stretch my arms!"

She quickly backed away from the windowsill as Sasuke climbed in, sitting on her windowsill. His face had a certain glow. She recognized the glow.

"So, you've found the answer… and you're here to tell me about it…"

"I don't have to tell you anything. You already guessed it."

"Alright then, tell me. What is the answer?"

Sasuke smirked and then replied,

"The sapphire signifies the good within man whereas the emerald signifies the evil within man. The platinum chain signifies an everlasting chain… which means an eternal chain of good and evil. Where there is good, there is surely to be evil. Without evil, the chain of life is imbalanced. It goes for the opposite way as well. That's why good and evil both revolve in a chain of life that goes on and on. Am I not right?"

Yuri chuckled and smiled.

"I suppose that you've done well. You've changed."

"…And so have you…" Sasuke said seriously after a long pause.

"What do you mean?"

"Your eyes…"

Yuri anxiously turned to her mirror and gazed at it. Her eyes had changed color. Her right eye was blue whereas her left eye was green. She sighed.

"What's happened to you, Yuri? Can you explain to me what's happening here?"

Yuri quivered at the question. She shook her head.

"Sasuke-kun, please leave…"

"Wh--?"

"I'll explain to you tomorrow! Now, go! …Please…"

Sasuke turned his back, and then glanced at Yuri again. She was quivering, down on her knees on the floor. She seemed frightened of something. Sasuke climbed out of the window and ran away.

"I dread that this day will appear… but I never expected it to be too soon…"