Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Without Any Destiny ❯ Secrets Kept Under the Rug ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 15: Secrets Kept Beneath a Rug

`Walking down this road makes me think how life revolves around her. I hope that I can gain her trust but it seems impossible to do so. She refused to tell me why she did it. Now it's too late to ask her now. She's long gone, like a silvery rose left to dry up under the hot sun. She kept her lips sealed all the time whenever it comes to that topic. Perhaps some things are best to kept silent……'

"Gai Sensae, I'm came here to see Yuri."

Gai peered out of his book and then, nodded. She was no stranger. After all, Yuri seemed like she needed some company right now. Tenten ran up the wooden stairs as Gai continued to read his book.

"Yuri! It's me, Tenten. Can I come in?"

It was dead silent. Tenten thought Yuri was asleep. She knocked again. Tenten felt suspicious. She turned open the doorknob and entered. Yuri was sitting alone in the darkness, peering out from her window. Tenten gave a sigh of relief.

"Yuri, why are you sitting alone in the dark?"

"… Oh, sorry. I was thinking too much."

"About what?"

Yuri bit her lip. Life felt a little different after today's incident. Everything seemed to be messed up. Yuri wrapped her hands around her knees. She began to recall Sasuke's voice in her head.

"You still treat me like a kid… I've changed. I'm no longer the kid you used to know."

"Alright then, I'll make a vow to you. I'll make you see that I've grown into a man. I want you to see that I'm no longer the kid you used to know."

"Why do you want to do that?"

"I want you to acknowledge me that I've grown. I don't want you to think I'm the little boy you knew a few years back. So, I'll do everything to prove it to you within that period of time…"

"Your father was wrong to leave you like that. Your powers don't really cause any pain. See? I'm still standing here."

"Yuri-san… I'm just afraid…"

"Afraid? Afraid of what?"

"Afraid of losing someone close to me again…"

"Is that all you have to say?"

"The fact was, Yuri, you never even tried."

"… All of you… just leave me like this… leaving me alone… Who am I? Some kind of memory you didn't wish to remember?"

"Then, let me confirm to you… that you mean everything to me."

Her fingers touched her rosy lips. The feeling still lingered there. Then, she saw bright light. Distracted, she was. Tenten had turned on the lights. She sighed at Yuri.

"Yuri, you are SO HOPELESS!"

"… I'm sorry. I've been thinking too much lately. It sometimes drives me away from reality and sometimes, it even breach through my sanity. At times, I don't even know who I am or what I am. Reality and fantasy seemed to be blending into each other. At this rate, I don't even know what's real or what's not. "

"… That's not what I meant…"

"Eh? And so what do you mean by I'm hopeless?"

Tenten approached closer and then, sat on Yuri's bed. She folded her knees and held herself tightly. She gazed at a faraway distance.

"I mean, how do you actually feel about Sasuke?"

"… Feel for him?"

"I mean, after the ki-"

"So, you saw us?"

"Well, it was accidental! I was going to get you as Gai Sensei was looking for you… and then, I saw you and Sasuke on the bridge, arguing. I watched from afar, and that's when I saw …"

Yuri gazed at the blank wall. She could still feel the warmth that Sasuke had given her. It was merely a kiss between them. No, it was something more than that… She shut her eyes and began to recall the moment. Tenten looked at her.

"Yuri-san… you are yet to answer my question yet…"

"… Sasuke and I… have no future together…"

"What?! Why do you say so?"

Yuri smiled and looked at Tenten. She patted her head and said,

"Let's say I know something else that no one knows."

"But what about Sasuke? I thought you guys-"

"I'm only giving Sasuke the start of this story. I know someone else who is much worthy for him… She will arrive when the time comes…"

"Arrive? Yuri, you're freaking me out. Why are you saying things like this?"

Yuri gave her a smile as Tenten looked confused.

"You will know when the time comes…"

"… But-"

"But what?"

"… I feel bad for Sakura-san. She too likes Sasuke. I bet she's very disappointed now."

"… She's going to be even more disappointed in the future…"

Warm breeze blew in the window. Yuri could feel the sadness of the wind. The day was edging closer. She knew what the outcome was and she knew what was to become of her.

"Tsunade-sama, I'm back with news."

The blond-sassy woman turned around and put her hand on her table as soon as she heard the messenger ANBU she sent arrived. Tsunade nodded and the messenger stood up.

"There were signs of her nearby the Village. I believe her return after her recovery will be sooner than we expected."

"Good. The Village needs her more than ever. We must get her here by any means. Make sure that she arrives here safely."

The messenger saluted and then, he stuttered,

"B-but ma'am…. Who is she and why is she so important to the Village?"

Tsunade gave hearty laugh and gave a smirk.

"You really are new to ANBU, aren't you? Any Ninja would know who she is. That girl… She might be able to save us all…"

"But there were news that the Shirokage's daughter is here as well. Can't we ask her for help?"

"You idiot. Even though she may be powerful, Yuri is no ninja. She doesn't even have the classification to become a ninja. She failed Ninja Academy 4 times and never made it to become a Genin. She can't even perform the simplest of all ninja techniques, a failure in shuriken training and a loser in all Ninja Arts. She could make an excellent Medic but what's the use of a Medic who can't even fend for herself?"

"F-forgive me, Fifth Hokage! I'm sorry if I brought it up…. But… how good is this girl that you talk about? I've never heard of her before…"

A gleam of determination was in Tsunade's eyes. This was DEFINITELY a new ANBU member. If he had been on the force for a long time, he would've known her. She clicked her tongue and then replied,

"How good is she, you ask?"

She smirked and replied,

"…She's good enough to be a war general for 8 years."

"War general…? She can't be a Hokage or some other Kage… neither can she be one of the Sannins… Who is she?"

"She… is Konoha Village's most secret weapon. She is the Konoha Ninja War Deity."