Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Without Any Destiny ❯ Chapter 20: The Assassin and the Queen of Hearts ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 20: The Assassin and the Queen of Hearts
 
`How can I lead you away? You can't leave.
Even if everything is broken, your heart is in disarray.
Selfishness is understandable, you don't have to stop.
Is it possible I loved you? Even now?
 
Tightrope by Tetsu 69'
 
The still of the night is broken by the sound of a speedy movement of a sword. Brightly shining was the Moon as she watched the young youth sharpening his skills. The tress quivered in fear when the wind blew by. He was exhausted: It has been a week since he was training in the woods. Yuri watched him behind a tree. She knew Sasuke would be distracted if he knew she came to check up on him. She bit her lip. He really took Tsunade's challenge seriously. It was a week ago when they had a conversation. She recalled back everything he said.
 
 
 
The river below the bridge began to get fiery. She halted in her steps and her eyes gazed at the ground. Hurt, angry and at the same time, she wanted to cry. She couldn't believe Sasuke would accept the challenge. She knew it would mean death for him. And there he was, walking away without a single emotion left in his heart. Yuri couldn't take it anymore.
“Why must you accept her challenge? Don't you know the real danger?”
 
Sasuke halted in his footsteps. He stood there but he never turned to look at her. Hot tears of sorrow flowed down her cheeks. She felt anger burn in her heart.
“Sasuke-kun, don't you care about my feelings? Don't you care about everyone around you? Who cares about that girl anyway! Don't go throwing your life away just to meet her! It's a stupid thing to do! You're being a fool, Sasuke! You—“
 
“Shut up.”
 
Yuri felt the icy cold words hit her like a blow on her face.Her existence was completely ignored. She ran towards Sasuke and held onto his back, crying.
 
“Don't you understand, Sasuke? You could get killed I don't want you to just throw away your life just for her. Sasuke-kun., please… don't go…”
 
“Who are you to tell me what to do?!”
 
“…Sasuke-kun…”
 
“For years, I have lived on only for revenge. You're asking me to do something that I've been clinging on for my survival. Sheis the only link I have to him.”
 
She felt him shrug her off and walked a little further. Yuri was shocked and at the same time, confused. Deep inside, she knew that his revenge came first in his life, instead of her. Grasping her hand tightly, she saw something shining at her feet. It was the necklace she gave to him. She slowly bent down to pick it up and held it close to her. Her emotions took control of her.
“Sasuke, you're a fool~”
 
Sasuke stopped there in his tracks. The both of them were suspended in the stolen moment. Yuri was sobbing her heart out. No matter what she did, she knew she could not stop him. She knew there was not a single place left in his heart for him.
 
“Yuri, this is the end for us. We started off here and we end here. The bridge was the beginning of us andthus,it became the end of us. To be exact, I wasn't even sure there was an `us' to begin with. Was it possible I even loved you then? Perhaps those feelings weren't feelings of love. They were just a replacement momentarily… but they weren't enough to drown away these sadness and anger I have in my heart. Perhaps the only reason why I loved you was because you were just like a sister to me… Nothing more than that…”
 
“Sasuke-kun… Just tell me one more thing…”
 
Yuri got up to her feet and wiped her eyes. There he was, with his back at her. She could tell a thousand things from his back. He was a lone wolf; from the day he was born till the day he dies. He always wanted someone by his side, but he never wanted them to get too close to him; afraid that they too will suffer the same as his family. She brushed her hair aside and gathered her courage.
“This will be my final question. The moment you choose one, the other leaves. So tell me, am I more important to you or is she more important to you?”
 
“The most important one in my life now is…”
The wind blew temperamentally as Yuri dropped to her knees. Sasuke's answer, even though drowned out by the strong wind, was clear enough for Yuri He walked away, leaving her behind, without even bothering to look at her. Their destiny was never meant to be together. The moon became the only witness left to this stage play of melancholy.
 
 
 
Yuri felt the urge to speak to him but she was afraid that if she did, he would probably ignore her. She realized that she had been nothing but a burden to him after all this time. Turning her back on him, she then walked away. She stepped foot into the deep forest, listening to the wind's latest tales with delight and muse. Her face has lit up a little, forgetting her worries about Sasuke. That was until she noticed she has stepped into the lavender grounds of the Nostalgic Fields.
 
The soft tinkling of a bell was heard…
 
Yuri noticed that she wasn't alone on this forbidden ground. She immediately noticed the Byakugan user who was standing tall. Her long black was tied neatly at its end, hanging loose like Neji's hair. Skin as fair as the dove's color and her face looking like a much grown-up Hinata in a much more sophisticated white silk kimono, Yuri thought this could no doubt but be the White Ninja. There was another figure hidden within the Lavender shrubs. She was on her knees, covering her face, hoping that the lavenders would at least, hide her away.
 
“Why are you here?”
 
“That's a good question. You tell me, why are you here?” Yuri asked.
 
“Ojou-sama is here gathering lavenders to make some ointments… and you?”
 
“I just happen to come by here. I believe the Ojou-sama is the one hiding in the lavenders right now, am I not right? What a coincidence~ I do need a word with her.”
 
Yuri stepped forward but she could sense the fear from the Red Ninja. Whoever she was, Yuri needed to have a word with her personally. With haste, she walked through the lavender fields. Yuri could see her cowering in fear behind Haruko. In her thoughts, she felt that it was not the fear of Yuri's power, but it was the fears of letting others know her identity. Haruko, alerted, by the approach, raised her hands to a level of her eye and in front of her face, straight out, which made Yuri stop.
 
“You plan to use Jyuuken against me?”
 
“I have no choice. It was the only thing I can do now to protect the Ojou-sama.”
 
“Well, bite this~” Yuri snapped. “Your Ojou-sama just stole away the happiness in my life and destroyed it! Is she glad about it now? Well, tell her to get her own life and leave mine out of it! How much misery must she put me in? How much—“
 
“You don't love him at all.” The voice whispered.
 
Yuri felt threatened by the soft reply of the Red Ninja. It was warm, soothing yet alerted and concise. She stood behind Haruko, covering her face, but Yuri could tell she was very different. Her long brown hair had been shortened down to shoulder-length with two long braids dangling from her back and eyes of dark coffee brown which peered deep into your soul; as if they can see what's written inside of you. Yuri could tell from her slightly tan skin that she was a person who never fancied living in the dark and sheltering herself from the sunshine. Agonized by her words, she pointed her finger in the Red Ninja's direction.
“Why do you hide yourself from me? Why won't you show anybody your face? You're a coward, hiding in fear from others! Always needing someone to depend on, that's who you are~”
 
“If so, then tell me, why is my face so important to you? A face is just a face. It's like a picture that will wither away someday and will remain nothing to anyone.”
 
“But it's your face! What's wrong with setting my eyes upon the Red Ninja's face?”
 
“It's as wrong as hiding the truth from Sasuke-kun.”
 
Her hand dropped limply. How did she know about it? Yuri knew she had underestimated her enemy. She wasn't any ordinary person. It was as if she knew everything. The Red Ninja stepped away from Haruko's shadow and stood before Yuri.
 
“Ojou-sama!!” Haruko cried in alarm.
 
“It's alright, Haruko-san. After all, my face means so much to her.”
 
Yuri noticed that the Red Ninja had a very nicely shaped oval face with three-lidded Asian eyes which the Chinese dub as Phoenix Eyes, one of the most beautiful pair of eyes one can get. Her small lips with the innocent shade of salmon pink made her look like a fallen angel from Heaven itself. Yuri saw that her youthful face was of a seventeen or sixteen year old. In her heart, she felt that if she was to become a contest to the Red Ninja, it would be no doubt that the Red Ninja would win. The Red Ninja shyly pushed her hair behind her ears and gazed into Yuri's eyes, filled with determination. Yuri had underestimated her enemy. Even so, the anger in her heart did not cease.
 
“You… Because of you, Sasuke was--”
 
“Believe me. I was not here for Sasuke-kun.”
 
“Then, what are you after? Tell me!” Yuri screamed back in fury.
 
Her eyes turned to look into the distance. What was she after? She wasn't after anybody, she thought. Her mission was to protect the Village at all cost, even by means to assassinate familiar faces of yesteryears.
 
“You were at the engagement ceremony between Itachi and me. You were the Priestess who conducted the ceremony. In fact, after the engagement, you -“
 
“That was a long time ago. That moment was nothing else now but a distant memory. The reason I'm back is because I'm here… to protect the village from the likes of you.”
 
Yuri felt the sharp stab of her words at her back. Could it be that she knew all about her secret? She bit her lip. Her knees began to tremble at the sound of her tone. The Red Ninja gave a piercing stare at her.
 
“I know what you are and who you are. Don't try to look so wise, young Princess. We both come from Noble families but you are a tragedy; an accidental experiment. You were never meant to be born. The powers that you possess, shall I say the ability to be able to split from your alter ego?”
 
“So… you knew.”
 
"A Ninja needs to know her enemy thoroughly. I've done my research. But believe me, I have nothing against you. I believe that you are here to assassinate me, am I not right?”
 
Yuri trembled and fell to her knees. It was if she knew everything, from top to bottom. She couldn't hide anything from her. The sunlight was blocked away by a figure. The Red Ninja was standing before her, with her hand towards Yuri.
 
“Why don't you turn away from me?”
 
The Red Ninja smiled and said, “Why should I turn away from you?”
 
“Because… I'm supposed to assassinate you…. And—“
 
It doesn't really matter, anyway. You're not going to kill me on the spot now, are you?”
 
Yuri felt her words were somewhat true. She wouldn't dare to kill her, not when the Hyuuga girl was watching. She took the Red Ninja's hand and stood right up. There was no sense of fear of any threats from her. Her intentions were pure, thought Yuri. The Red Ninja turned her back and gave a nod to Haruko.
 
“It's time. Let's go.”
 
The two of them sped off as Yuri watched them from behind. She can't help but have the feeling that she likes the Red Ninja. She was something else, something extraordinary; someone not of this world. She recalled the words that Itachi said during the day of the engagement.
 
“No matter how hard youtry to please me, you will never become `her'.”
 
He was right after all. Yuri could never be anything like the Red Ninja.