Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Macross Fan Fiction ❯ A Job of a Pilot ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Job of a Pilot
a Neon Genesis Evangelion/Macross/Robotech crossover
by Bug-Chan

Chapter 9

A couple weeks has passed since the night he had thought about joining the military. What troubled Shinji most was the way on breaking the news to the two adult restaurant owners...as well as Rei. Finally, he had enough of fretting and asked them to come to a table on a quiet day.

"WHAT???????"

Shinji, Rei, Maya and Shigeru were sitting at a table on a particularly quiet day, drinking tea and relaxing. Well, at least Rei was relaxing, Shigeru and Maya were now worked up over Shinji's announcement and the timid boy was taking all he had not to wince and hide inside him like a turtle.

"The military?" Shigeru asked, not believing his ears.

"You want to be a pilot?" Maya tried to confirm.

"Yes. I intend on training for a pilot," Shinji replied, managing to keep eye contact with both adults.

"But why? Don't you like the restaurant?" the short-haired woman asked, somewhere near bursting to tears again.

Shinji dipped his head and sighed. He then brought his head up and looked at Maya. "Maya-san, I really like this restaurant. However, I cannot stay here forever. I want to go out there and do what I want to do in my dreams. Besides, the military is having a pilot shortage so I'm sure I'll be accepted."

Both adults and Rei looked at Shinji, one about to cry and the other two retaining emotionless faces. After a minute, Shinji got up to start packing. "If you'll excuse me, I'd like to go upstairs and start packing," he said. Maya suddenly got up, latched onto Shinji and started...bawling. Shinji was taken by surprise, never expecting her to do such a thing, and the same was said for Shigeru, who tried to calm her down and let go of Shinji.

"Maya, it's OK, let him go. He'll visit us whenever he gets the chance, right?" he looked up at the teen, who vigorously nodded. Maya's sobbing slowed, and finally stopped as she let go of Shinji and he went upstairs to start packing. When he was out of sight, both adults sat down.

"I couldn't help it!!! I'm so embarrased now!" Maya said.

"There, there, it's OK, it can happen. Even I'm a bit saddened at him leaving," her long-haired husband comforted her. Then, as a joke, he added, "If no one else knew better, he would've thought Shinji was our son."

Maya looked back at him, almost about to burst into tears again. "But he DOES remind me of our son!!!"

Shigeru sighed. "I do hope Gendo is doing well over in Japan. At least he didn't get sucked in by a spaceship like us."

Meanwhile, oblivious to the conversation taking place below him, Shinji was packing what little clothes and belongings he had when he heard a slight frapping on the door. "Come in!" he yelled. The door opened to show Rei walk in and close the door. "Is there something I can do for you?" he asked.

Rei slightly hesitated before she asked, "You said," she paused, slightly blushing, "that I sang well?"

Shinji started blushing as well. "Ummm...yeah, I did. I really thought you sounded nice that night."

"Thank you," she thanked, then hesitated, again. "There is an idol contest being planned onboard called Miss Macross. Should I join?" she inquired.

"You? Yes, you should join! You'll do very well, if not win it!" he complimented excitedly. He then realized that he sorta shouted at her. "Oh. I got a bit too overexcited. Sorry," he said, somewhat embarassed of himself.

"No, it's all right," Rei calmed him down, although both were still blushing. There was an awkward silence that drifted for a while before Rei broke it. "Good luck in your training tomorrow, Shinji."

"Thank you, Rei. Good luck with your singing as well," he reciprocated as he finished up packing. 'Guess I'm really going. No turning back now.'

The next day, Shinji left, much to the sadness of Rei, Maya and Shigeru, towards the barracks to start his training for the next couple months. 'At least I won't have to really rely on someone for housing and food now,' he thought, smiling slightly as he left.

Many months passed, during which the Macross made its way across the Solar System, fend off Zentradi attacks, towards Earth, with constant running, shooting, jumping and piloting on Shinji's part. During that time, Asuka, Hikari, Touji and Kensuke heard word from Rei that Shinji went off to the military and repeatedly tried to make contact, without success. Finally, the training ended and Shinji was officially a pilot, along with his own room in the barracks and a monthly salary of sorts.

While Shinji was training, Rei was training for a different sort: singing. Inspired by Shinji's single compliment and suggestion of entering Miss Macross, she sang almost every night before going to bed, with his words echoing in her head as she drifted off.

After waiting for a response and not getting one, the foursome had enough and decided to join the military as well; Asuka and Hikari enlisted in communications and logistics while Touji and Kensuke enlisted for a pilot position, much to Kensuke's glee and joy. They too went through a very rigorus training program, though Asuka and Hikari did not need as much and within two months the girls were ready for official duty. The guys, however, continued their training by piling up hours on the flight simulators, honing their skills and becoming eager for actual battle. Unfortunately, the foursome still couldn't get in touch with Shinji, even though they were in the military themselves.

'FINALLY!!!! Some time off!!!' Shinji mentally cheered to himself. 'Though I have a mission tomorrow...my first sortie. Oh well.' He then remembered, 'Oh yeah! Rei!'
and quickly headed to the Chinese restaurant which he now knew very well. Upon getting there...

"Why good afternoon, sir! What can I--" Shigeru asked before recognizing who it was. "Shinji!!!! Come on in!!!" he motioned the teen to a table. "I'll be right with you," he said as he headed towards the other customers. Shinji waited for a while and looked around. The restaurant was now much livlier, with more customers and more waiters and waitresses. However, he couldn't see Rei anywhere. 'Probably the kitchen,' he rationed to himself. A waiter came by with some tea and took his order as Shinji slowly sipped it. The order came, but it wasn't brought by any ordinary waiter.

"Rei!" he said, smiling wide. "How are you?"

"I'm fine," she said. Even though her voice and her face retained no emotion, her eyes seemed to shine. "I am sorry but I cannot talk with you right now. We are very busy," she apologized, her eyes losing a bit of the shine.

"That's all right, how about if we meet tonight at the park near here? After your restaurant closes?" he suggested.

"That would be acceptable," she agreed, her eyes shining again. "Excuse me," she excused herself as she left for the kitchen. Shinji looked at her form as she was walking away. 'Funny I never realized she was beautiful,' he mused, then realized what he said to himself and blushed. He ate, paid and left to look around the city to kill time, then headed back for the barracks to catch a nap and talk with other pilots to kill time.

Nighttime came about and Shinji looked at the clock. '9:30, better go to the park to meet Rei,' he thought to himself as he dressed and headed out. He got there five minutes shy of 10 and waited, somewhat nervous, in front of a waterfall. 'Now Shinji, you aren't asking her out on a date or asking her to sleep with you,' he thought to himself, and managed, with great willpower,
not to get a nosebleed. At 10 sharp, he saw a figure approach him, who turned out to be Rei.

"You wanted to see me?" she asked.

"Yeah. Just wanted to see how you were during the past two months," he said.

"I've been well, thank you," she answered. Shinji stood there, fidgeting for a while, wondering how to put his thoughts into words.

"Umm...Rei?"

"Hai," she asked, noticing the way he fidgeted.

"Well, you see," he started, then paused. "I'm going out to a battle tomorrow. And so..." he paused again, fidgeting more. "This might be our last time together," he finished. Rei looked at him with silence for a minute.

"No," she said simply. Shinji only looked, dumbfounded. "You will survive. You will emerge victorious."

Strangely, Shinji didn't find it confusing. Well, he did find it confusing, but very motivating as well. 'Yes, I will survive, I will emerge victorious.' "Thank you Rei," he said, feeling somewhat better. He then saw a photo robot standing around. "Umm...Rei? Would you like to take a picture with me?" he asked, somewhat blushing.

She looked at him for a second, slightly blushing as well, but with the same shine her eyes had earlier the day. "Hai," she said.

Shinji nodded and waved the robot over. After he popped some coins, he and Rei stood side-by-side. They got a bit too close and their arms made contact with each other, after which Rei had that feeling she had back when they were stuck inside the Macross. She then wrapped Shinji's arm with both hers, which got both of them to blush, but enjoy the feeling from the skinship. The robot adjusted the lighting and position of the teens and a few seconds later, snapped the photo and spat out two copies of the photo. Shinji handed one to Rei and took the other one.

"Please excuse me. Aunt Maya doesn't like it when I stay out long," Rei said.

"All right. It was good seeing you again," Shinji said, slightly disappointed at seeing her go. "I'll drop by again when I get the chance."

"Hai," she replied and headed back towards the restaurant. Shinji headed towards the barracks, looking forward to the battle tomorrow with some nervousness, yet with some excitement, thanks to Rei. He headed back for the barracks to try to get some shuteye at the suggestion of Fokker.

THE NEXT DAY, AT 0430

Shinji got up and dressed to get ready for his first mission -- "Operation Mars". The Macross was now near Mars and word has it that there was a base on Mars that was attacked and abandoned earlier in the war; it was also rumored to have some much-needed supplies for everyone onboard the Macross so the operation was started to get the supplies. His job was to escort Lieutenant Hayase Misa and a few other people to the abandoned base to try to find out what exactly happened on the day of the attack. He headed towards the Valkyrie hangars, next to the Prometheus, one of the carriers that got folded with the Macross and now a part of it.

0530 HOURS, DECK OF THE PROMETHEUS

Shinji waited on the deck for the Lieutenant and the others to come. He sat there, contemplating the mission, trying to figure out any potential trouble spots or gaps along the way. One thing broke him from his thoughts and it definitely wasn't Hayase's voice.

"Baka!!! There you are!! Are you taking off or not???"

TBC

A/N -- GOD!!!! that was long!!!! oh well, there are some things I have not put in, and I did that on purpose cuz I don't want this fic to sound like SDF Macross all over again only with Eva characters. Anyways...REVIEW!!!!!

speaking of review, thanks for all the positive (and negative) reviews so far. If you keep them coming, I'll keep on writing.

Ja mata!
-bug-chan