Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Macross Fan Fiction ❯ A Job of a Pilot ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Job of a Pilot
a Neon Genesis Evangelion/Macross/Robotech crossover
by Bug-Chan

Chapter 10

Shinji sat there with his hands on the control, not believing his ears.

"A-a-a-Asuka?" he asked, most unsure of himself. The monitor in front of him lit up to show Asuka's fiery hair and her smirking appearance.

"Of course, Mr. Escort" she asked as she shook her head, as if trying to accentuate her beauty. "What happened to you, just disappearing like--"

"a-HEM! Staff Sergeant Ikari and Corporal Shoryu!" Misa interrupted, clearly annoyed. "We have an operation to do!"

"H-hai!" both teens replied, now quite nervous. Had the situation been less serious, Misa would've been amused at the fact that both replied the same way, as if they were synchronized. Seconds later, Misa's plane and another Valkyrie lined up next to each other, ready to take off.

"Ichijo Hikaru, Skull Squadron unit 23, taking off!" Hikaru announced over the radio. That was followed by Misa acknoledging her readiness to take off as both got the OK to take off and Hikaru's Valkyrie took off with Misa's right behind him.

"Ikari Shinji, Skull Squadron unit 01, and Shoryu Asuka Langley, please proceed to the runway," Claudia's voice was heard over the radio.

"Hai," he said as he taxied his Valkyrie to the runway, prepping himself. Asuka, or more like the pilot taking Asuka, did the same. "Ikari Shinji, Skull Squadron unit 01, taking off!" he announced as well.

"Roger, you are clear, unit 01." Shinji's Valkyrie took off, with Asuka right behind him. A minute later, as he headed towards Mars, he saw more Valkyries take off from the Prometheus; some passed him and went ahead while others surrounded the Mars communication crew and their escorts. A few minutes later, the group saw a complex and landed there, changing to Battloid mode. He saw Roy's Valkyrie fly around for a while and Roy noticed Shinji below him.

"Everything OK down there?" he asked the new pilot.

"Hai. No problems whatsoever, sir," Shinji replied. As he kept his eyes out for any suspicious activity, he saw the Macross make a landing in the Martian surface not too far from him and let go of a lot of supply trucks and supply gatherers. They made trips to and from the base, coming to get supplies and bringing them back to the Macross. A few more Battloids laded around the supply convoy, keeping an eye and somewhat relieving Shinji; one of them, apparently bored, saw Shinji face him and gave him a thumbs-up. Shinji, amused, gave one back as well. During the whole time, there were periodic transmissions of "All clear" go back and forth.

IN THE BRIDGE OF THE MACROSS

"How goes the resupplying?" Gloval asked.

"No problems whatsoever," Misato answered, somewhat happy that nothing was going on for once.

"Good, just keep an eye out for anything that may be out of the picture," Gloval said.

"Yes, sir," she said. Misato was at Misa's console, taking over her duties while she was down on the Martian base. Soon the radio came on and someone started talking.

"This is Cat's Eye 1. I've found a Zentradi force advancing towards our position. ETA 10 minutes before we are in their firing range," said the pilot of the recon plane.

'Aw great, there goes the whole idea of a quiet operation,' she thought to herself, very pissed. "All Valkyrie units take positions around the Macross! Prepare the Macross for liftoff and have the supply convoy return!" she ordered as sirens went on and all the crew prepared themselves for battle. Outside, supply trucks were scrambling back to the Macross and all the Valkyries took positions near the Macross.

Shinji heard the orders and started to head towards the Macross when Roy's face came up again. "Skull Unit 01, stay where you are."

Shinji was confused. "But there was an order to get to the Macross."

"We have a couple of the crew in the base remember? Wherever there is the Macross crew, there's going to be a Macross there as well," Roy said. "Now I'm going to have a few more members of our squadron come here and help you out, you keep your eye open and not go on the offensive. They aren't done in there yet," Roy instructed.

"Ah, yes sir," Shinji acknowledged, and saw a few more units headed his way. He looked around and saw the last of the supply convoy enter the safety of the Macross as he looked around for any signs of the approaching Zentradi army. 'That should be the last of the convoy...why isn't the Macross taking off?'

BACK ON THE BRIDGE

"The last of the convoy has made its way back and the Macross is ready to take off!" announced Vanessa from her console.

"The Zentradi are now within firing range!" Kim announced. "Incoming!" There were some explosions that caught the bridge off-guard, sending a couple girls tumbling.

"All right, lift off!" The Macross started going up, but came back down, hard. "What's the matter?"

"Ma'am, you should come and look at this," Shammy panicked. Misato came up to her console. "There are gravitational mines underneath the Macross that are acting as magnets. We cannot take off until these mines are deactivated!"

"So we walked into a trap," Gloval muttered, over the constant explosions. The rest of the bridge gave him a confused look. "The Zentradi set up mines here because they knew we had to drop by to pick up supplies," he elaborated.

"Is there a way to deactivate them?" Misato asked. Gloval hesitated before answering.

"Yes, but it is most risky," he answered, paused, and continued, "If we have the generators in the Martian base output more power than the Macross, the mines will be attracted to the generator. However, leaving it on overdrive for too long will cause the base, and a good chunk of area around it, to blow up."

Misato thought over the idea and its consequences, then asked, "Permission to execute the plan," Inside, she too was worried, but right now, there was nothing else they could do. The other crew members looked at her with shock, but had the same thoughts as she did, so they weren't in much of a position to argue.

"Permission granted," the admiral reluctantly agreed. Misato got back to the console.

"Hayase, Shoryu, do you hear?" Misato called out. A second later, two "Hai"s were heard. "Whoever is closest, head towards the control room of the base and set the reactor to overdrive mode. This will free the Macross to liftoff."

"Hai!" both women said.

IN THE BASE

Misa started to make her way towards the control room when a name on a door stuck out. "Riber," she whispered, remembering her old boyfriend and fiance. She entered the room to see it clean, much to her surprise and started to look for anything about him and his disappearance. She sat at a chair behind the desk and caught sight of a picture. It was her and Riber, a few years back, sitting happily together, before he left, before he disappeared. That did it. She burst into tears, totally forgetting Misato's order, and only remembering their last date together and his last kiss. She sat there, crying and replaying the entire scene over and over again.

SOMEWHERE ELSE

Asuka ran past a few rooms and found an elevator that went down. 'That must be the way to the control room,' she thought to herself and got into the elevator. As she was about to get in, an explosion rocked the place, destroying the elevator and forcing her down to the floor.

"Damn these creatures!" Shinji muttered as one of their missiles struck the base. He shot it down along with a few more approaching. 'Asuka had better be OK down there.'

"Damn these creatures!" Asuka muttered as she surveyed the damage in front of her. The explosion took out the elevator, but amazingly, there were wide steps where she could step on as she descended into the control room. After many minutes of going down and making sure the next step wouldn't give way, she finally reached the bottom and entered a room full of monitors, keyboards and consoles of all shapes and colors. "This is Shoryu. I have reached the control room. What now?"

In the bridge, Misato looked at Gloval for instructions. "Tell her to look for a monitor that has the diagram of the base on display," he instructed. Misato relayed it over and Asuka looked around for a second before noticing it. She ran over to the console and started typing commands into it. A few seconds later, all the monitors had red hexagons with "WARNING" written in them popping up and covering the screens.

"ATTENTION, ATTENTION. THE REACTOR HAS BEEN SET IN OVERLOAD. ALL BASE PERSONNEL EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY. T-MINUS TWO MINUTES BEFORE SELF-DESTRUCTION, STARTING NOW," a female voice said over the intercom.

BACK IN THE BRIDGE

"The gravitational mines are no longer keeping us down!" Shammy announced, very relieved.

"All right! Have all the Valkyries slowly pull back towards the Macross and make sure that Shoryu and Hayase get evacuated as well," Misato ordered.

AT THE BASE

"Why, Riber, why?" Misa wailed. "T-MINUS ONE MINUTE AND THIRTY SECONDS BEFORE SELF-DESTRUCTION," a female voice said over the intercom. Misa heard that and calmed slightly. "At least I'll be able to see Riber again," she mumbled, smiling slightly and bent over the table.

Back in the control room, Asuka climbed back up to the ground floor and ran towards the nearest exit. However, every exit she came across was blocked by the debris from the missile attack. "T-MINUS ONE MINUTE BEFORE SELF-DESTRUCTION," was heard as she frantically ran all around the base, looking for a way out.

"Damnit, where's Asuka/Lieutenant?" Shinji and Hikaru respectively were starting to get worried. "Hikaru-san, any word of Lieutenant Hayase?" Shinji asked, worried.

"No, I've been trying to make contact with her but there's no response whatsoever," Hikaru radioed back. They then spotted more battle pods heading their way. "Uh-oh, more battle pods," he said as both started shooting them down. One of them let off a missile meant for either fighter but instead hit the base.

"Aaaah!" Asuka yelped as she jumped back to see debris falling down and blocking the corridor. She turned around to see more chunks of the building blocking the other direction, effectively trapping her.

"T-MINUS THIRTY SECONDS BEFORE SELF-DESTRUCTION." Asuka just sighed. 'Well, I did it, but looks like I'm going to die,' she thought to herself, resigning to her fate. Sudddenly...

*BOOM!!!!* A fist broke a big hole in the building a few feet away from Asuka. She looked at it in surprise, wondering where it came from. It then became a palm, which confused Asuka for a moment, then registered that someone came by to pick her up. She got on and it gripped around her and took off.

Shinji got out of the Battloid for a moment to check on her from afar. Asuka looked up. "You know, baka, I could've done that myself," she shouted, but looked up to the head of the battloid and smiled, not a cocky, patronizing kind, but a smile of gratitude. Shinji just looked down at her and smiled himself as he got back into the cockpit and took off with Asuka safely in his grasp.

Meanwhile, Hikaru went around the complex to look for the Lieutenant and saw her on a table through a window. Likewise, he smashed the wall and window separating him from her and grabbed her, much to her obvious displeasure. "Let go of me, Ichijo! Let go now!" she shouted through the communicator. Hikaru decided to ignore her orders for once and took off as she looked longingly back at the base. "RIBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" she screamed as Hikaru took off with her firmly gripped.

"TEN"

"NINE"

"EIGHT"

"SEVEN"
"SIX"

"FIVE"

"FOUR"

"THREE"

"TW O"

"ONE"

"SELF-DESTRUCT"

The base exploded as a very bright light engulfed the place. Asuka looked down back at the base without much expression, whereas Misa was looking at it with a great longing. Soon, both ladies and their escorts made it safely back to the Macross as it proceeded to continue on its path to the Earth.

Both pilots landed on the deck of the Prometheus and loosened their grips on the ladies. Asuka got off and ran off but Misa just sat there on the deck, looking down on the shrinking base. Hikaru could only wonder why she, Hayase Misa, always in control, looked so depressed and vulnerable suddenly. Shinji could only wonder how come Asuka looked all the more beautiful with that smile on her face.

TBC

A/N -- My oh my...quite some action eh? Okay, major question -- am I going too slow with this or too fast? I'm curious. Plz answer by submitting a review. Thanks!

Ja mata!
-bug-chan