Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 23: Voices in the Dark ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 23: Voices in the Dark
 
A/N: A few minor changes, just a little tweaking to make the story better.
 
 
 
Monday January 4th 2016
 
Early that morning, Hikari is the first one to awaken at the apartment. She turns her head to the right and finds her boyfriend Toji sleeping right next to her. Hikari can recall the warmth and special feelings she had as Toji and her spent the night together...
 
To see a picture of Hikari at this point, go to picture 192 on picture page 24...
 
Hikari: (Thinking to herself) I guess Asuka was right, it is nice to spend the night with that special person. I'm still a little worried about what's going on... and what Toji and the others are going to face. I know he's not too thrilled about piloting that thing again, but it's for a greater purpose, I guess... (Runs her fingers through Toji's hair and whispers softly) Whatever happens, I'll be here for you, Toji...
 
Meanwhile, over in Kyoto, Kaji awakens to the smell of eggs and bacon, which are coming from his kitchen...
 
Kaji: (Sniffing the air) MMmm... that smells good. (Turning his head to the left) Are you cooking breakfast, Misato?
 
Misato: (Happily) Of course!
 
Kaji: (Sitting up on the bed) What are you making?
 
Misato: Well, I went out to the store a little while ago and picked up a few things. We're having ham and cheese omelets with bacon! I'm trying to improve on my last breakfast creation!
 
Kaji has a sweat drop after she makes her last comment. He remembers that Misato is not exactly the best cook in the world, especially for breakfast. Memories of instant breakfast(s) fill his mind and he begins to sweat at the thought of eating one of her culinary creations...
 
Kaji staggers into the kitchen and finds two plates set up at the table, each one having several slices of bacon, some toast, and a large omelet in the center.
 
Misato: (Turning off the stove) Go on, sit down and eat!
 
Kaji: (A little bit hesitant to eat the food) Umm... okay.
 
Misato: (Folding her arms across her chest) Why aren't you eating? I did a great job here! I can cook now- it's not like my college cooking, okay?
 
Kaji: (Grabbing a piece of bacon) Okay... (Takes a bite) Very good.
 
Misato: (Smiling) Good. Now try some of my omelet... which I learned to make by myself, without help from Shinji or anyone else. (Sits down at the table)
 
Kaji cautious takes a piece of the omelet and takes a bite. He is pleasantly surprised to find that it tastes very good. Misato has made real, edible food. He breathes a sigh of relief and then starts to devour the food; he's very hungry. Misato feels very happy inside as she watches Kaji devour her latest creation...
 
Misato: (To herself as she eats) I can cook! I can't wait to go back and show off this recipe to the kids...
 
Kaji: (Finishing off his food) So, did you think of anyway to sneak me in? I don't really have any good ideas...
 
Misato: Well... I had one idea. When I'm unloading the car, I'm sure that they'll be watching me. We can use that to our advantage and bring you into the apartment's other entrance.
 
Kaji: (Confused) Other entrance?
 
Misato: Oh, yeah- I didn't tell you. I had the apartment expanded and there's another entrance about thirty feet down from the first one. If you were dressed up as a janitor or something, it would look perfectly legitimate if I let you in the other way. If anyone asks, you're there to fix a problem with the sink on the other side of the apartment...
 
Kaji: Hmm... I guess this could work. I'll just pack all of my stuff into your car and you can sneak it into your room. I don't have very much...
 
Misato: (Standing up) Why don't you get packed and I'll clean up in here- and then we can go.
 
Kaji: Sounds good... but don't you want to say goodbye to someone before we leave?
 
Misato: (Remembers who he is talking about) Oh, yeah... let's stop by and see Rits before we go.
 
Kaji and Misato quickly get to work packing his belongings and loading her car. They drive over to Ristuko's apartment and head inside for a visit. As soon as they walk into the apartment, Ritsuko immediately knows what's going on by the look on Kaji's face...
 
To see a picture of how Misato and Kaji look as they enter the apartment, go to picture 36 on page 5 of my website...
 
Ritsuko: Soo... you're going back with Misato, huh?
 
Kaji: How did you know?
 
Ritsuko: (Slyly) Because you came in here in such a good mood and you had that one smile on your face... I knew you were very happy about something. I just made a logical guess...
 
Misato: (Sighs) I guess we can't fool you...
 
Ritsuko: (Shakes her head) No, you can't. (Looks at Kaji) You're going to continue your investigation from Misato's place?
 
Kaji: Yeah, I am.
 
Misato: You should come back, too... I know Maya would be happy to see you. She was really concerned when you disappeared...
 
Ritsuko: (Thinks to herself for a moment then speaks) I'm not going back... at least for a while. I have stuff to take care of and I'm really enjoying myself here... (Picks up Artemis and starts to pet him)
 
Misato: Umm... okay. You said last time that you'd tell us what happened to you...
 
Ritsuko gets very quiet and motions Misato to come closer. She whispers a few words to Misato- 'Ask Kaji on your way back, he'll tell you all about it; I don't feel like repeating it again...'
 
Misato: (Quietly) Oh, okay. Good luck and make sure you take care of all of the kitties... (Picks up Diana)... including this one, she's so cute!
 
Kaji: Are we ready to go?
 
Misato: One second... (Strokes Diana's fur, making her purr affectionately) Kaji, I really like this cat! We need to get a cat!
 
Ritsuko just chuckles and Kaji deeply sighs...
 
Kaji: The way you were attached to that cat, you'd think it was your guardian cat or something...
 
Misato: (Defiantly) Maybe it is...
 
Kaji: (Putting his hands on Misato's shoulders) Okay, let's go, Mini-Moon...
 
Misato: (Recognizing the Sailor Moon reference) Are you saying that I'm a loud-mouthed brat who's always getting into trouble?
 
Ritsuko: (Laughing uncontrollably) Don't answer that Kaji... we all know the answer already!
 
Misato: (Puts Diana on a nearby chair then speaks) (Nudging Kaji) You know, Kaji, you remind me of Coach Kido from Princess Nine, stubble and all!
 
Kaji recognizes the reference that Misato is making and also the fact that he shares several traits with that character, including the aforementioned stubble...
 
Kaji: (Sighs) Okay, okay! Enough is enough! (Misato giggles)
 
A/N: the characters do look very similar, both do drink a lot, and both have the appearance of sometimes being "womanizers"...
 
Misato: Well, we're off! (Puts her hand out and shakes Ritsuko's hand) Take care, old friend.
 
Ritsuko: You, too... and make sure to keep an eye on Kaji.
 
Misato: Don't worry; I'll keep him busy... (Winks)
 
Ritsuko: (With some sarcasm) I bet you will...
 
Instead of coming back with a comment in return, Misato grabs a hold of Kaji and pulls him into a hug. Kaji is surprised by the timing but still enjoys the warm feeling that Misato always gives him...
 
Misato: (In a "cute" voice) I don't have to do THAT all of the time, Rits. Kaji likes to snuggle, too.
 
Ritsuko: (Pushing both of them towards the door) Enough with the lovey-dovey stuff! I'll be in touch and good luck!
 
Kaji and Misato turn around and bow, then leave the apartment. On the drive back to Tokyo-3, Kaji tells Misato what happened to him and also what happened to Ritsuko... Misato is only able to utter a few words in response to each story- 'Those bastards' and 'Bastard!' respectively...
 
Misato: (Thinking to herself) Now I know what happened to Kaji and Ritsuko. It's no wonder she doesn't want to go back... and it must be really hard to help me out, since I'm working for him.
 
After reaching the halfway point, Misato stops the car. Kaji gets out and walks across the road and into some bushes...
 
Misato: (Lowering her window) I'll meet you over there!
 
Kaji: (Clearing the brush off of the hidden car) Okay! (Misato speeds off) I'm glad that my boss was able to set this other car up here...
 
As Misato's car speeds towards Tokyo-3, some of the kids start to wake up. Rei opens her eyes and notices that she is snuggled against Kensuke's chest. She blushes and then gets up. Hikari, who is still in the same spot thinking, notices that Rei has awakened and gets up herself...
 
Hikari: (Quietly) Hey, Rei, wanna help me make some breakfast? (Fidgeting) Maybe we could um... talk, too...
 
Rei: All right.
 
Hikari and Rei quietly get to work on making some breakfast, being careful not to awaken the others. They rummage through the shelves before deciding to make some miso soup and some toast, using up the last of the bread sitting on the kitchen counter. As Rei stirs the soup, Hikari asks her a question...
 
Hikari: What was it like?
 
Rei: (Confused) I do not understand what you mean...
 
Hikari: (Blushing) You know... sleeping with your boyfriend. Did you like it?
 
Rei suddenly goes quiet for a moment, then blushes as she replies to Hikari's question...
 
Rei: It was... very pleasant. I enjoyed the experience, and I'm sure he did as well. What about you?
 
Hikari: (Turns very red, then directs her gaze towards the ground) Ummm... yeah. It was nice and I liked being close to Toji... I can see what Asuka meant by not wanting to be apart...
 
Rei: (Nodding her head) I agree... and I can see why my brother likes to spend the night with Asuka.
 
Hikari: (Very nervously) We should um, have some more, um, sleepovers like this... they're fun...
 
Rei nods her head in response to Hikari's last statement, and then turns off the stove as the soup reaches completion. A few minutes later, the kitchen table is all set up for breakfast, complete with miso soup and toast and some orange juice from the fridge. Rei goes into the front room to wake up Kensuke...
 
Rei: (Gently shaking Kensuke) Wake up, breakfast is ready.
 
Kensuke opens his eyes and can see Rei standing over him. He smiles nervously as he recalls the events of last night...
 
Kensuke: G-Good morning, Rei.
 
Rei: (With a smile on her face) Good morning, Ken-kun.
 
Kensuke: (Blushes) Rei...
 
Rei helps Kensuke to his feet, and continues to hold to her hand as she leads him towards the kitchen. Hikari wakes up Toji by shaking him as well, and he opens his eyes and is greeted to the sight of Hikari's warm smile...
 
Hikari: Breakfast is ready...
 
Toji: (Getting to his feet) (Softly) About last night, I...
 
Hikari: (Planting a kiss on his cheek) It's okay... and thanks for being with me. I-I really liked it... (Blushes)
 
Toji: (Taking Hikari's hand) M-Me too... (Looks down at the floor at the sleeping Asuka and Shinji) What about these two?
 
Hikari: (Having an idea) Wanna help me wake them up? (Grabs a pillow)
 
Toji: (With a broad smile) Hikari, I like your idea. (Grabs a pillow of his own)
 
Hikari: Good.
 
Toji and Hikari start to gently hit Asuka and Shinji, who get annoyed after a couple of hits and wake up...
 
Asuka: (Annoyed) Hey! Stop that!
 
Shinji: What's wrong with you guys?
 
Toji: Nothing. Just waking you up for breakfast...
 
Hikari: And getting you back for yesterday.
 
Asuka: (Sighs) Fine, fine... we'll be there in a second.
 
Asuka and Shinji join the others for breakfast and complement Hikari and Rei about their cooking, Toji and Kensuke do the same a moment later. After breakfast is done, Hikari, Toji, and Kensuke head home... leaving Asuka, Shinji, and Rei alone in the apartment. Pen-Pen has decided to relax in his fridge and does not venture outside. Rei goes back to her room and finishes reading "A Christmas Carol", which was given to her on Christmas Eve. This is the last book that she has not read from all of the gifts given to her at Christmas, "Relationships for Dummies" and "Metropolis" have already been read.
 
Around noon, Misato arrives at the apartment building. Kaji has already changed into his janitor disguise and has arrived in a separate car at the same building. He leaves the car and heads over to the other door of Misato's apartment, then heads inside.
 
Rei: (Coming into the kitchen) Who are you?
 
Kaji: (Playing along with his "assigned" role for the plan) I'm the janitor, I was told that you were having a problem with the sink. Ms. Katsuragi gave me the keys to come and check it out.
 
Rei: I was not aware of any problems with the sink. Are you sure you have the right apartment?
 
Kaji: Yes, I'm sure. Maybe it was on the other side...
 
Just then, Misato walks into the room. Both Rei and Kaji turn and look at her...
 
Misato: The problem is on the other side, follow me. (Looks at Rei) I'll be back in a while; I have something I have to tell you.
 
Rei: (Nodding her head) Okay.
 
Rei goes back to her room and continues to read. Kaji follows Misato into the other part of the apartment and both quietly sneak into Misato's room without Asuka and Shinji noticing- both of them are very involved in a game of "Super Bomberman 2015"...
 
As soon as Misato gets into her room, she closes the door and immediately closes the shades. She places a small kiss on Kaji's cheek and then whispers in his ear...
 
Misato: Wait here. I'll unpack your stuff and bring it into the room. Don't make any noise or leave the room, okay?
 
Kaji: (Pulling Misato into a warm embrace) Okay. Hurry back, okay?
 
Misato: Of course...
 
Kaji lets go of Misato and she heads out the car to bring in Kaji's stuff, closing the door to her room behind her. Shinji catches Misato moving some boxes into her room from the corner of his eye, and passes the thought off as 'She must have gone shopping or something...'
 
Asuka: (Noticing that Shinji is distracted) Hey, Shinji! We're gonna lose this round unless you keep your eyes on the TV screen!
 
Shinji: (Redirecting his gaze at the TV) Oh, sorry...
 
After a couple trips to the car, Misato has brought all of Kaji's belongings into her room. She quickly empties some of her clothes drawers and condenses some of the others- making some free space for Kaji and his stuff...
 
Misato: (Looking at the empty drawers) Well, that should be enough room for your stuff...
 
Kaji: Should be.
 
Kaji quickly unpacks his clothes and places them in the drawers, and hangs the rest of the clothing up in her closet. Curiosity hits him as he realizes that she didn't open one of her clothing drawers...
 
Kaji: What's in that top drawer that you didn't open?
 
Misato: (Blushes) Oh, it's nothing...
 
Kaji: (Skeptically) Really... (Moves toward the drawer in question) Can I see what's in there?
 
Misato: (Waving her hands) Don't!
 
Kaji: (Stands right in front of Misato) What are you hiding?
 
Misato: (Very red) Um...
 
Kaji's curiosity gets the best of him and despite Misato's protests, he opens the drawer. His eyes bulge out as he looks into Misato's underwear drawer. Various types and colors of panties are on the left side of the drawer, and a collection of different colored bras is on the right side. Kaji cannot move, his eyes are locked onto what he is looking at, and he is thinking many things to himself. A very red Misato closes the drawer and stands in front of him...
 
Kaji: (Barely audible) So many...
 
Misato: (Still a little nervous) Well, a girl's gotta feel sexy sometimes, right?
 
Kaji: Of course. (Picks up a black lace bra that has gotten his interest and dangles it in front of Misato)
 
Misato watches as Kaji takes her bra and shoots her a devilish smile...
 
Misato: (Smiles) If you're a good boy, maybe you'll get to see it on me later...
 
Kaji: Sounds like fun. (Pulls her into a hug) I wonder if you're wearing something sexier now...
 
Misato pushes her upper body against his for a moment, exciting him in the process. Kaji knows that she is in the mood and will definitely want to have some fun later. She then gently breaks the hug and kisses him. After the kiss, she heads into the front room. Kaji takes this opportunity to change out of his janitor's outfit and into his regular clothes.
 
In the front room...
 
Misato: (Happily) Hey, I have a surprise for you two!
 
Asuka: (Passively) What is it? We're in the middle of a game here...
 
Shinji: (Somewhat curious) Um... Misato, what kind of surprise?
 
Misato: You'll see. Just put the game on pause and follow me.
 
Asuka: (Pressing pause on the controller) (Slightly agitated) Fine, fine. We're coming...
 
Misato turns around and leads the two teens to her room. After they step inside the dark room, Misato closes the door.
 
Asuka: Okay, where's the surprise?
 
Both Asuka and Shinji are startled to hear a voice in the darkness a moment later...
 
Kaji: Long time no see.
 
Shinji recognizes the voice, but can't place it at the moment. Asuka, however, instantly knows whom the voice belongs to. Before she makes a response, Misato turns on the lights...
 
A wave of emotions hit Asuka as her eyes adjust to the light. She sees Kaji, standing in front of her with a smile on his face. Tears begin to fill her eyes as she is overcome with joy. Unable to stop herself, she runs up to him and gives him a hug...
 
Shinji stares at Kaji, still not fully believing that it is really Kaji standing in front of him. Misato just stands back and watches the scene unfold...
 
Kaji: (Sweetly) And how is my "German Princess" doing?
 
Asuka: (In a whisper) I'm fine...
 
Shinji feels a slight bit of jealously at this point, he remembers how crazy she used to be for him. The fact that she is hugging him at the moment does not help...
 
Shinji: (Trying not to get angry) Umm... Kaji...
 
Kaji looks at Shinji and can see that something is troubling him...
 
Kaji: Uh-oh... someone's jealous...
 
Misato: Kaji!
 
Kaji: I was just kidding, Shinji.
 
After seeing Shinji's response, the fact that Shinji and Asuka are a couple finally hits him. Recalling past experiences with them, he could see a bond and common ground between Asuka and Shinji. Before his death, he was debating whether or not one of them would get the courage to say something to the other... now he has his answer.
 
Kaji: (Playing a little joke) Asuka, I'm surprised you hooked up with Shinji...
 
Asuka: (Innocently as she looks up at his face) Why is that, Kaji?
 
Kaji: (Recalling some of Asuka's comments about Shinji from the past) Because you said he was boring, he wasn't much to look at...
 
Asuka: (Cutting Kaji off) Kaji!
 
Kaji: (Smiling) You have a wonderful girlfriend, Shinji. Make sure you treat her right...
 
Shinji: (Blushing) Of course... (Holds out his arms)
 
Asuka lets go of Kaji and rushes into Shinji's arms. Kaji can immediately see the deep bond that has formed between them.
 
As Asuka holds Shinji, Kaji notices a ring on one of Shinji's fingers. He squints to get a close look at it. A moment later, Asuka breaks the embrace, and Kaji notices a ring on her finger as well...
 
Kaji: Are... are those rings that you two have on?
 
Asuka: (Smiling) That's right! Shinji and I have dedicated our love for one another... (Shinji blushes)
 
Kaji: So... Mr. and Mrs. Ikari... (Shinji and Asuka both blush)
 
Shinji: (Nervously explaining the situation with the rings) Umm... Kaji, these are p... promise rings. They aren't wedding rings...
 
Kaji: Oh... so you are not Mr. & Mrs.... (Pauses)... yet.
 
Asuka and Shinji's faces turn even redder as Kaji continues talking...
 
Misato: (Sighs) I think you've embarrassed my kids enough, Kaji. (Has a quick thought) Besides, you haven't seen my other child yet... (Chuckles)
 
Kaji: (Having a sweat drop) Other child?
 
Misato: (Matter of factly) Of course. Asuka, can you go and get my daughter?
 
Asuka: Be right back!
 
Asuka leaves the room and quickly heads over to the other part of the apartment to get her. Kaji waits patiently, still trying to figure out what Misato is talking about...
 
Asuka: (Entering the room with Rei right behind her) Here she is!
 
Misato: Thank you, Asuka. Kaji, here is my third child, Rei. She moved in about two months ago... (Looks at Rei) You remember Kaji, right?
 
Rei: Yes.
 
Kaji: (Realizing now what Misato meant) Oh... you are the other child. (Suddenly recalls the past tension he observed between Asuka and Rei) Asuka, are you getting along with Rei?
 
Asuka: (Nodding her head) Of course. I can't treat my boyfriends' sister badly, can I?
 
Kaji: (Pausing a moment to think to himself) Hmm... that's right. Rei would be like Shinji's sister. (Out loud) That's right...
 
Misato: (Looking at Shinji) Can you and Asuka get lunch started? I want to talk to Kaji a little more...
 
Shinji: No problem.
 
Asuka: We'll let you know when it's ready...
 
Shinji and Asuka start to walk towards the door...
 
Kaji: One more thing... I'm very proud of you, Asuka. You have really matured... you too, Shinji...
 
Shinji: Um... thank you...
 
Asuka: Thanks, Kaji... (Gives Shinji a hug) Of course, I had some help along the way...
 
Kaji: (Scratches his head) Well, I guess this means that you have gotten over that crush that you had on me. That means that I'll have more free time... (Looks longingly over at Misato)
 
Misato: (Smiling) And you better use it wisely... (Winks)
 
Asuka: Come on Rei, you can help too. (Asuka and Shinji leave the room and start to make lunch)
 
Rei: Okay. Mom, is there anything else?
 
Misato: Nope, see you three later.
 
Kaji stood speechless at hearing Rei call Misato her mom. Before she leaves the room he gets his wits back enough to speak.
 
Kaji: Rei... you called Misato your m-m-mom!?
 
Rei: (Nonchalantly) Yes.
 
Misato: (Laughing hysterically) Um, Kaji... I need to... to tell you something...
 
Kaji: Yeah... a-parent-ly. (Confused) When... how... did you become...
 
Misato: She's been my daughter since she moved in.
 
Rei: By the nature of your relationship to him, would he constitute a father?
 
Kaji: (Chokes and nearly falls over) F... father?
 
Misato: (Teasingly) Now, don't run from your responsibilities to our daughter...
 
Rei: I have not had a father before, what are fathers' responsible for?
 
Misato: (Answering quickly) Well, the father is responsible for getting the woman... I mean for helping create the child...
 
Kaji feels the blood draining from his face...
 
Rei: I see, and is that all that they are good for?
 
Kaji: (Protesting) Hey! Wait just a minute!
 
Rei & Misato: Yes?
 
Kaji: Um... a father is responsible... for the well being of his family... and um...
 
Misato: And?
 
Kaji: And keeping the mother happy... and... (Developing a wry smile)... keeping the boys away from his daughter...
 
Rei: I see... then you need to talk to Kensuke, because we are dating...
 
Kaji: Already?! (Shakes his head vigorously) What the hell happened around here? Rei! When did you start dating... why I mean how I mean... what... what caused you to start all this... I mean... (Falls to the floor unconscious)
 
Misato: Maybe this was a bit too much of a shock to him?
 
Rei: Interesting, do all fathers fall over like this?
 
Misato: (Sighs) Only this one... (Pauses) Rei, help me move Kaji over to the bed here. I think it would be best if we let him wake up on his own...
 
Rei: Okay, mom...
 
Misato and Rei join Asuka and Shinji in the kitchen and they eat lunch together. A few hours later, Misato heads back into her room and checks on Kaji. Misato takes some hot soup with her, in case Kaji is hungry. She finds him wide awake and thinking to himself on the bed...
 
Misato: (Sitting down on the bed) Are you okay?
 
Kaji: (Gently taking Misato's hand and squeezing it) Yeah. It's just a little weird to picture you with three kids, especially when one of them calls you "mom"...
 
Misato: It's a long story... (Hands Kaji the soup) Why don't you eat some soup and I'll tell you the whole story of how I became Rei's mother...
 
Kaji: Sounds good. You told me that you'd tell about how you came back to life... (Pauses)... like I did. Something must have caused both of Ritsuko and us to come back...
 
Misato: I can answer that, too. Here's what happened...
 
Misato spends over an hour explaining how she became Rei's "mother" and how Kaji, Ritsuko, and herself came back to life. Kaji had no idea that it was Shinji that had been responsible for bringing the world back and restoring people to life. After the story is done, Kaji speaks...
 
Kaji: Well... that was certainly a lot to digest. I learned two main things from your story...
 
Misato: Go on.
 
Kaji: First, I owe Shinji for bringing all of us back. I didn't know he had it in him...
 
Misato: (Nodding her head) And number two?
 
Kaji: I learned that you have become mother to these kids, especially Rei. You're different then before... and I like how you've changed. (Puts the empty soup bowl on the floor)
 
Misato: T-Thank you. (Snuggles against Kaji) You really like the new me?
 
Kaji: Of course. You're more responsible and loving and caring... making you the perfect woman for me...
 
Misato: (Blushing) Kaji...
 
Misato and Kaji come together in a passionate kiss and spend the next few minutes making out. Misato stops it from going to far, the door is open and the kids are home. She also realizes that they need to pick up a few things at the store...
 
Misato: I have to go do some food shopping- I am feeding five people and a penguin now. Is there anything you need, like more clothes or something?
 
Kaji: (Thinks about it for a moment) No, I think I'm okay. You still have that wide variety of liquor, right?
 
Misato: Sure. There's some beer in the fridge and some special stuff in Pen-Pen's fridge. Just ask him if you want something...
 
Kaji: I didn't need anything now... but maybe later you and I can have a few drinks...
 
Misato: (Gently places a kiss on his cheek) Sounds good. I'll be back later...
 
Misato leaves to go do some grocery shopping. Kaji heads over to the kitchen and finds Shinji there, preparing dinner. He thanks Shinji for bringing him and the others back to life, Shinji replies with a 'No problem'. Asuka and Rei come into the kitchen and all four catch up on what has been going on since the last time he was at the apartment.
 
Later that night, Misato and Kaji are alone in her room, finishing up some cognac and enjoying each other's company.
 
Misato: (Putting her glass on the floor) Mmm... that was good.
 
Kaji: (Placing his glass on the floor as well) Yeah... you got quite a collection of liquor, Misato... I didn't know you had so many different tastes...
 
Misato: Yeah, I guess...
 
Misato looks longingly at Kaji, and returns her gaze with one of his own...
 
Misato: (Softly) Kaji... thank you for coming back with me. I don't know how I'd live without you being here...
 
Kaji: I feel the same way. (Starts to passionately kiss Misato, who wraps her arms around him and returns his kisses) Can I see what your wearing now, my love...
 
Misato: (Playfully) You've been good today... (Takes off her shirt slowly) I hope you like what you see...
 
Kaji: (Looking Misato up and down with much anticipation) Very nice... but I want to see more...
 
Misato: (Winks at Kaji, then speaks seductively) So do I...
 
Kaji: (Watching Misato unbutton his shirt) I hope the kids don't hear us...
 
Misato: (Throwing his shirt to the ground) I'm not worried about the kids right now...
 
Kaji: (Pulling Misato's body next to his) Neither am I...
 
The night quickly passes and the next day as well. It is soon Wednesday, and school is back in session.
 
To be continued in Chapter 24: School and Training.