Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 38: Chilly January ( Chapter 43 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 38: Chilly January


Squeak... squeak... squeak... squeak...
The chair... the damnable chair... that’s the only sound made in this damn city. The damned squeak of a chair… maybe someday the city will be alive again but for now it sleeps. Asuka sat in the wheelchair as it was being pushed along. It was hard to tell whether the sitter or the pusher had more life to them. Looking around, Asuka could say nothing… destruction was everywhere. Her companion walked behind the chair pushing it and moving as though he was recently raised from the dead.
Empty eyes swept over the deserted streets. Empty eyes that kept the chair moving- empty eyes that avoided holes, pits and other dangers that would dump his cargo into the street. Those empty eyes once belonged to a young boy by the name of Shinji Ikari. A young man that had just lived though the worst holocaust in human history- the whole human race had been destroyed… but he had come back. He came back for his penance- he believed that he didn’t deserved to be happy. He had expected to live a short while on his own, but now he had to look after her. His friends called her the devil, or worse. Now she was in worse shape than he was... at least he could walk- she could not feel a thing below her hips.

“Why am I seeing this? This isn’t real!” Asuka screamed as the wheelchair continued forward.

Shinji responds, each breath sounding strained. “This is what could have been… what they should have been… if Rei didn’t come back or use her powers. It’s just you and me… in this hell…”

“I don’t want this! Any of this! I never wanted this kind of world!” She turns and looks at the Third Child. “I don’t want this Shinji, either! I want the real Shinji…”

“So you do want me? The great Asuka Langley Soryu finally admits it… she wants me.” Is the sarcastic reply.

Asuka pours out her heart. “You may be an idiot… and you’ve hurt me… but you’ve also saved me. You reached out to me… you wanted me… despite what I am.”

“So what do you want? This kind of world… or do you want the other Shinji? Can you handle the other Shinji?” The dream state Shinji presses the point and waits for Asuka’s response back.

“Of course I can… we just need to… need to work things out… that’s all…” Asuka says hopefully.

“He’s being just like you… and that scares you…”

Nervously, the red head replies to that. “M-maybe it does… but there’s a lot that we have in common…”

“That also scares you in some ways…”

“You know what, it does.”

The Shinji of this dream state gets to the point. “Can you forgive him for what he’s done?”

“I…”

“Can you?”

Feeling frustrated, Asuka voices her answer. “Damn it, I’m thinking! I hate to be rushed on important decisions…”

“Then stay here… in a world with no forgiveness…”

“What he did was wrong! It was perverted!”

“True… but can you open your heart? Or will you close it? Can you win the upcoming battled divided?”

Asuka is silent. ‘Damn… that’s a good point.’

“You didn’t do the same to him? Who wore a short dress on a windy ship? Who slept close to him? Why did you ask for a kiss from him? You teased him with your swimsuit, even kissed him. You kept that in thought in his mind… not him.”

“I… it’s true. I guess I could give the idiot a chance… I don’t have anything more to lose… except myself…”


After admitting that, Asuka touches her legs. ‘I can feel my legs again…’ She tries to stand up… Shinji stops pushing and lets her get out of the wheelchair.

“You’re my conscience… forcing me to confront reality…”

Shinji shrugs his shoulders. “I guess you could say that… that memory sharing went deeper then either of us could imagine. I bet Shinji has an ‘Asuka’ conscience figure…”

‘This is so weird…’ Is the thought that immediately passes through Asuka’s mind.

“Go find your Shinji…”


On the surface part of Tokyo-3, life is seemingly returning to normal. A light snowfall blankets the ground with white powder and the temperature is hovering around –5 C. Militant activity is becoming less frequent and people are actually moving back to the city, thinking that the worse is over. The angels have appeared to have stop coming… and life in the post-Third Impact world is seemingly returning to some sort of “normalcy”…

People on the surface don’t realize that things are about to heat up in a major way… and down in NERV headquarters, events are unfolding in a chaotic fashion. The sheep are getting harder to distinguish from the wolves…


"Hugahhhhh!"

Kaji sat up in bed after hearing that horrible retching sound made by his soon-to-be wife. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine… it was a false alarm. I thought I was going to throw up again…" Misato says trying to calm his fears. Standing up from her crouched position over the toilet Misato looks at her reflection in the mirror. ‘I guess this all part of motherhood… but... damn this morning sickness stuff… it’s going away… but I still don’t feel good sometimes.’

Getting out of bed, Kaji walks over to the bathroom and peers inside. He finds his wife-to-be splashing cold water on her face.

“That’s one way to wake up…”

“Well, since I can’t drink anymore… and I’m not in the mood for coffee, it’ll have to do…”

“Maybe we should order in some breakfast then, let you relax until your shift starts. I’ll go down to the cafeteria and get you some pancakes…”


A sudden pang of hunger hits Misato. ‘He knows… that I like those things… and I’m starting to get cravings for food lately… I need pancakes…’

“Sounds good… make sure you get some maple syrup too… hash browns, sausage patties… basically a whole American style breakfast…”


Kaji’s eyebrows go up. “You’re going to eat all that?”

Misato grins. “You just had to mention pancakes… and if you’ve been reading that book that I gave you, you should know that pregnant women get cravings… sometimes at random…”

“True… I remember that. I’ll be back then… rest up until I get back, okay?”

Saying nothing, Misato blows Kaji a kiss and winks at him. “You’re the best, honey…”

“Anything for my purple haired goddess, anything…”


Misato watches Kaji walk towards the front door while absently rubbing her stomach. ‘Please hurry… please… I think the baby is hungry, too…’


On his way down, Kaji has an interesting thought. ‘Maybe I should get breakfast for everyone, it would help to calm things down a bit…’


After returning with the food, Kaji stops in to check on Asuka. He can see her tossing and turning in her bed, but he didn't see Shinji. Letting out a tired sigh, he moved over to her and sat on the edge of the bed… he didn’t have to wait long for her to wake up.

“Huh?” Asuka says while sniffing the air. “That smells like…”



Opening her eyes, Asuka sees a familiar face above her bed.

“Good morning…”

Feeling relieved about being back in reality, Asuka exclaims one word. “Kaji!”

“You looked like you were having a nightmare a minute ago, are you okay?” Kaji asks, worried about the young woman after seeing her rolling around a minute ago.

“I’m fine… I just had confront my own personal demons, that’s all…”

“Sounds serious…”

“It was…”

“I bet you’re hungry after all of that fighting then…” Kaji says, leading Asuka on.

“You bet!”

“Breakfast is served then…” Pulling the tray off of the nightstand, Kaji hands it to Asuka. “I hope you like this kind of breakfast…”

Happily, Asuka places the tray on her lap. “Of course! Every time we went to America, I had this. It smells so good!”

“I left you some orange juice over on the nightstand, take your time and eat… your breakfast in bed.”

“You’re too much, Kaji!” Asuka swoons.

Kaji shrugs his shoulders. “It’s been tough these last few days… I wanted to cheer everyone up.”

Grabbing her maple syrup, Asuka begins pouring it on her pancakes. “Good idea… I’ll talk to you after I’m done…”

His mission a success, the former spy leaves the bedroom. ‘She seemed happy… and she was fighting with herself… I think she’s finally ready to be open minded about this… I hope.’



“So, how’d it go?”

Kaji turns his head as he walks past the bathroom and sees Misato there, blow-drying her hair. She turns off the blow dryer and looks at her love…

“Pretty good… she loved the food… and I think she’ll be open to at least talking to Shinji later…”

Reaching for a brush, Misato responds back. “Great… you really do think outside of the box- getting everyone an ‘American’ breakfast really helped morale.’

“I do my best…” Slowly, Kaji walks up to Misato, who’s now brushing her hair. “You have such beautiful hair…”

Blushing, Misato turns her head away. “You’re just saying that…”

“No, I’m serious… I’ve complimented you on it before. Lately, though… it seems to have a certain ‘glow’ to it…”

The blush on Misato’s face deepens. “You’re saying… that I’m getting a ‘mothers glow’…”

“Absolutely…”

“That makes me… feel good. Kaji… sometimes, I still can’t believe it… but I’m going to be a mother…” Touching her stomach, Misato confirms the reality of the situation. “Another seven and a half months or so… until the big day…”

“I’ll be here… every step of the way…”


Kaji finds himself in a loving embrace a moment later.

“I can’t wait…”

“Neither can I… but there’s a few things to do before then…” Planting a passionate kiss on her lovers’ lips, Misato’s embrace tightens. “We have to beat SEELE… and then get married…”

“Don’t worry, we’ll win… we’ve got the best tactical planner in the world…”

Misato grins. “You don’t say? You’re no slouch in what you do, either… you even had Ritsuko fooled for a while…”

“I’ll take that as a compliment… I don’t know how someone could be so fast and thorough as her. It’s a good thing she didn’t shoot me…”


Unawares to the bantering couple, Asuka’s door has just opened. What she sees- Kaji’s hands on Misato’s butt… her chest pressed against him and her talking softly- lead her to exclaim an all too familiar comment…

“Get a room!”

“Asuka… how was breakfast?” Misato asks as a diversionary tactic.

Stretching her arms towards the ceiling, Asuka tries to fully wake up. “You know what, it was great. I feel a lot better this morning…”

“Good… because you’re running late.”

Feeling a bit panicked, Asuka looks at her watch. “What do you mean? It’s not time to go yet…”

“Everyone else is already gone… I figured you guys would like to get out early… and everyone was up early… except for you…” Misato says that last part in a teasing matter.

“So now I’m going to be late… and probably yelled at, too…”

Trying to qualm Asuka’s fears and make her day go a little better, the Colonel fills Asuka in on the rest of the situation. “No, no… just go and join Rei and Hikari in the karate class. I’ve already told the instructor that you’d be a little late…”

“All right… I’m leaving…”

“See you later, Asuka…” Kaji moves his hands off of Misato and waves one of them at Asuka.

Misato offers some parting words of her own. “Remember our little talk…”

“Yep… I’ll take care of it later. Bye!”


Quickly, Asuka makes her way out of the apartment and into the corridors of NERV, full of a new energy and of hope. Over in the men’s karate class, Kensuke notices Shinji’s focus and comment on that during the warm up exercises…

“Hey, you look a lot better this morning…”

“Well, I just had to think some things through, that’s all…”

Kensuke grins. “Good… because of all that fighting was getting me worried. Rei was very emotional about it…”

“I didn’t mean… to hurt her.” Lowering his head, Shinji continues. “I didn’t want to hurt anyone…”

“Cheer up… let’s get through today and you can talk with Asuka… and Toji should be released around dinner time, so we can all eat together…”

A smile forms on Shinji’s face. “Dinner… together… sounds good…”


The instructor comes into the room and bows before the two teens. “Are you ready for battle?”

“Always…” Is the reply from both.


Up in the command area of NERV, Misato is looking over material regarding yesterdays’ malfunction…

“It seems to be some kind of computer error… and it’s not there anymore.”

“I’ve run several diagnostics… and now there’s nothing wrong. Maybe it was just a freak accident…” Maya says with a sigh.

Knowing how SEELE works, Misato isn’t ready to dismiss anything yet. “I wouldn’t rule out that being deliberate just quite yet… lock down and isolate the simulation area and run some tests… and then if the systems check out… bring the remaining pilots in after lunch for more advanced trials…”

“I’ll get right on it…” Standing up, Maya takes her leave and gets to work on her new assignment.


“Colonel Katsuragi…” A voice calls down from the upper level.

“Yes Commander?” Misato says while looking up.

“Come up here for a moment…”


Not knowing what Gendo wants, Misato wastes no time and is quickly on the upper level.

“Have a seat, Colonel.”

“Sure…” She says while sitting down.

Commander Fuyutski steps forward. “It seems like our flow of information from this “Luna” has helped eliminate a lot of the spies that SEELE planted here… but not all. It’s our feeling that one of them sabotaged the simulation system yesterday…”

“That’s my thought as well, sir.”

“It’s our belief that we’re getting close to uncovering some vital information… and they want to stop us, or at the very least, misdirect our attention…”

Agreeing, Misato nods her head. “I think that this non-lethal distraction tactic will only go so far… we’ve already seen that they have people willing to go on suicide runs in the name of their cause…”

Gendo folds his hands in front of his face. “Correct… the time will come when they will strike out. I’ve ordered guns for all the pilots, they will be waiting in the apartment for their return…”

Feeling a little uneasy about that, Misato concedes. “I guess we’re not taking any chances, are we…”

Kozo continues on the gun subject. “We can’t take any chances… all vital personnel will be armed by the end of the day… covertly… so only the people we know are on our side are armed…”

Relaxing a little, the Colonel thinks about what was just said. ‘That makes sense… and since the kids have had training with the guns, at least they can defend themselves if needed… instead of waiting for someone to come along and save them… like I did with Shinji…’

“I have a request, sir.”

Gendo looks at Misato and says: “What would that be?”

“Since Kaji, Maya, and myself are high priority targets, I would like to get extra gear for each of us…”

“It is at your disposal… do as you see fit to protect yourself and the pilots… Commander Fuyutski and I will be watching movement inside NERV closely… to make sure there are no more ‘accidents’…”

“Yes, sir.”

“You are dismissed…” Kozo says before turning back to face Commander Ikari. With a plan now in front of her, Misato heads into action in order to get some more protection not only for herself, but also for the others in key positions. On her way down to the armory, a funny though crosses her mind. ‘Maybe I should be walking around looking like a female Rambo… that’d scare anyone away from trying to attack me…’


Lunch time soon arrives… Maya, confident that the area is sealed and safe from outside interference, stops to eat her lunch. ‘I wish Aoba was here… but I’ll have to see him after my shift’s done. It looks like everything’s normal… I guess I’ll be doing some simulations today after all…’


The SEELE agent who caused the first ‘accident’ is about to set up for another run when he notices the area is now isolated both physically and electrically from the rest of NERV. ‘Damn that woman… it’s a good thing I left two charges on the system, not just one… so just you wait… I’ll get you yet…’

He radios his commander after stepping into a side hallway. “This is Chameleon one. They’ve tried to isolate the simulators, over…”

A few seconds later, a voice responds. “They may be on to us… can you still set off another attack without being detected?”

Grinning, Chameleon One responds almost immediately. “I left another charge on the system… I can remote detonate it at your command… and not be noticed.”

“Wait until 1600 hours… and then strike. Retreat after that, we’ll implement the next phase later this week… and catch them off guard… if we don’t stop them now, then…”

“Aye, sir. I understand…”


Several dozen meters above, the three female pilots are having lunch in the NERV cafeteria.


“I wonder if we’ll be fighting later today?” Rei asks while getting another helping of potatoes from the lunch buffet.

“I have no idea… I guess if it’s safe we will…” Asuka quips while grabbing another piece of chicken. “I’ve got some steam to let go… a nice fight would help do that…”

A worried class rep has her own concerns at the moment. “I’m still worried about Toji… he’s awake but he’s still a little groggy… I know he’ll be resting today…”

“That’s a tough boyfriend you got there Hikari- he’ll be fine.”

Hikari tries to cheer up after hearing Asuka’s words. “I guess so… we’ve been through a lot together… he’s lost two limbs in the line of duty for NERV here… thank goodness for Shinji’s wish- Toji’s back and better then ever…”

Seeing a chance to boost “pro-Shinji” ideas being discussed, Rei makes an additional comment of her own.

“Brother’s wish was very unselfish… he could have easily wanted to change his looks or personality… but he wanted everyone back to normal… many have benefited from that wish.”

Asuka smiles. “We’ll get those SEELE people… they want us dead… so we have to stop them first. It’s the least we can do for the world… and ourselves.”


The lunch time conversation makes Asuka forget about all of her troubles, at least for the moment. Rei receives a call from Maya on the communicator… all three girls are to report at once for the new simulation series…

A grinning Asuka responds- “Ladies first, huh?”

“Looks like it…” Hikari says with a nod. “I guess the guys will have to wait…”


While the young ladies work in the simulators, Shinji and Kensuke get some swim practice in.

“How long are we going to be in here today?” Shinji asks of the instructor.

“Well, just another half hour. I’ve been given orders to cut it short today and send you to the shooting range for a few hours…” Is the reply back from Jack.

The military otaku in Kensuke comes to the fore immediately. “Cool! I just love the collection of guns down there… I can’t wait to get some more practice!”

Trying to be as enthusiastic as Kensuke, Shinji nods his head. “I’m sure I can top my scores from last time…”

“Good thinking…” Jack says while pointing at the pool. “Now, back to work!”


Maya begins preparing her simulations, confident about the system after it checked out 100% in the diagnostic… and looked fine after a visual inspection as well. ‘I just wish Dr. Akagi could’ve looked at it… my expertise is nothing compared to hers…’


With some hesitancy the girls enter the locker room and change for the sim tests… Asuka and Rei work together to help the recently traumatized Hikari. The three girls quietly head over to the simulators and get in… Asuka is the first to ask a very important question…


“Are these safe? I don’t want to get zapped like Toji…”

“They should be fine… I did a visual check, too, just to make sure…” Maya says reassuringly.

Shaking slightly, the sixth child nervous tugs at her pigtails. “Are you sure?”

“Yes… I’m sure. Just sit back and relax for a few minutes while I set up the program, okay?”

Maya gets right to work and begins programming the simulation. Despite worries by all three girls, the simulation goes by without a single glitch. Teamwork prevails and the make believe attack by SEELE is foiled… but not easily.


“That was much harder then last time…” Rei quips after the simulation is done. “My back hurts…”

Asuka concurs with the thought and adds her own ‘two cents’. “That ain’t the only thing… that really hurt my ass…”

“At least it’s over…” Hikari says with a sigh.

After looking at the scores and the results on a nearby computer screen, Maya informs the young women about the results. “You guys did great… take a break after you change and I’ll get this set for Shinji and Kensuke…”


Hikari feels better instantly and says “Thank you” to Maya as she exits. Asuka’s mind is preoccupied about what she promised to do later… and Rei is also distracted. ‘My back is tight again and I am feeling uncomfortable in other places. I need Ken-kun to help me with the special oils and massage tonight…’


The three young women change back into their normal clothes as the clock ticks forward… the two young men come down to the simulator, full of energy and purpose. Shinji in particular is looking forward to the chance to talk with Asuka in an effort to make things right again.


Kensuke decides to try some small talk as the simulation begins. “You know, Shinji… I think that Asuka has changed you for the better…”

“Well…”

“Oh come on… the difference between the old you and now is really noticeable… and here I was wondering if you’d ever get a girl… and you beat me to it…”

Shinji smiles. “Asuka’s one of a kind… and Rei’s really taken a liking to you…”

“Yeah, umm… Rei’s really nice…”


A voice interrupts the conversation a moment later.

“I’m reading some kind of…”


That was the last thing that Shinji heard before the explosive in the computer system goes off, creating an overload…

“SHINJI!”

Kensuke hears Maya scream his friends name and then his simulator goes dark. “What the hell just happened?”

A nearly hysterical Maya replies back almost immediately. “I don’t know… but I think the system just zapped Shinji… I’m going to get him out…”

“Let me help you… we’ll take him down to the infirmary…”

Nearly in tears about what just happened, Maya agrees. The two quickly make their way around and carry the unconscious Shinji down to the infirmary, where he’s placed on a bed next to Toji.


The fifth child tries to calm down Shinji as doctors begin attending to Shinji. “Maya, it’s not your fault…”

“Damn it… this happened twice…” Maya tries to stop crying but can’t. “Can you call the commander and Misato? I’m sorry, but I have to…”


Before Kensuke can say anything, Maya runs out of the room. ‘I hope she’s going to be okay…’ He pauses to glance at his fellow pilot and friend. ‘Hang in there Shinji…’


Up in the command center of NERV, three people receive shocking news on the emergency radio… anxiety fills the air…


“It looks like the old men have struck again, despite our best efforts… and now the Third Child is unconscious…”

“Commander…” Misato looks at Gendo and then makes her suggestion. “I think we should move the pilots back to the apartment… except for Shinji, of course…”

“We need to make sure any escorts are people that we know are really NERV agents…” Kozo interjects.

“I agree. Have the First, Fifth, and Sixth return back to the apartment… I assume that you will escort Pilot Soryu down to the infirmary…”

Misato suddenly remembers something she heard a short while ago from the infirmary. “Yes sir… I also heard that Toji maybe waking up soon… should I have him return back to the apartment?”

“Yes.”

“Let’s get to it then… and watch your back Colonel…” Kozo says as Misato quickly snaps into action.


After Misato leaves, both Commanders reach inside their jackets and load their side arms… knowing that anyone could be a spy… and be out for blood.


Several moments later, Asuka received a call on her communicator… one she never wanted to hear…

“HE’S WHAT?”

“Shinji’s been injured…” Misato toke her quickly, “the simulator knocked him out… that’s what Kensuke said…”

Panic coursed through the girl. “Is he okay?”

“I haven’t been down there yet. I’m coming up to get you… we’ll go see him together…”

“Hurry! Oh, Shinji…” The distraught girl says allowing the communicator to go silent leaving Misato to her thoughts as she rushes to the apartment.

Both Misato and Asuka shared the same thought at that moment, ‘Shinji… hang in there… we’re coming…’

Unable to wait for the Colonel to arrive, Asuka threw open the door, and began rushing towards the infirmary. Along the way she passed Misato who shore several things under her breath and then turning to her guard she spat out- “After her! Now!”

“Yes ma’am!” the guard replied and took off running after the red-haired pilot and though he’d been though a lot of military training, he had to admit that the girl was fast. “Damn… I… I… can’t catch up!” he panted out as she continued to pull ahead of him.

In the infirmary, Kensuke watches helplessly as Shinji is connected up to several machines, though the lack of sound form them both made him feel relieved and anxious. He could tell that they were trying to ascertain Shinji’s condition, and he hoped things would be over soon. Minutes feel like hours as time ticks forward…

Lost in thought, Kensuke lies back on the chair… he failed to notice that Kaji has entered the room and is talking with some of the nurses. When he hears the main doors to the room burst open, however, he quickly returns to his senses.

“SHINJI!” A panicked Asuka screamed out causing nearly everyone but the unconscious boy to jump.

The guard that had been running down the hall with Asuka as an escort stops to catch his breath having no idea that the Second Child could run so fast. “Next time…” he panted out. “Next time… I’ll listen to those S2 jerks… man… that kid was right about this girl running like the devil…”

Seeing him lying there with machines connected to him, Asuka can feel tears burning her eyes. “Oh, Shinji!” she says softly as she moves up to the bed.

The doctor attending Shinji turns and looks at Asuka. “Miss… I’m sorry… but it’s too late… he’s…” Asuka hears the lady say as she turns off some of the machines around the boy.

“What… what are you talking about?” Asuka can barely say. “Misato told me that he was hurt… but… but it wasn’t…” Her heart was breaking as she thought about living her live without him. She knew; she had a feeling that something was wrong. But she didn’t think it was this bad.

The doctor shakes her head. “His brain was overloaded by the shock… there was severe head trauma and electrocution. Any twitching is just a result of leftover electrical impulses in the muscles. I’m sorry…”

Kaji and Kensuke both stood there, unable to believe what they had just heard. ‘He’s gone…’ they both thought. Kensuke had never thought he’d lose his best friend like this and tears came quickly to his eyes.

Even the hardened Spy had tears welling up in his eyes. ‘Shinji… no… please gods no… not now.”

However the two were shocked out of their thoughts when Asuka spoke up next.

“I don’t believe you!” Asuka screams as her eyes fill with tears. “He’s not gone!”

“I put all of his personal effects on that table…” the doctor told the girl with very little remorse in her voice.

“I… I don’t want his stuff… I… I want him…” Taking Shinji’s hand, Asuka gently caresses it. “Don’t leave me… please…” She begs and pleads… Kaji starts making his way towards the bed.

Just as he was about to place his hand on her shoulder, the doctor spoke again. “Miss, you’ll have to…”

Not even hearing her, Asuka suddenly shouted at Shinji’s body. “You better wake up this instant… or I’ll kill you myself…”

Misato nearly tore the door off its hinges as she suddenly arrived in the room, though she was not expecting to see everyone in tears. “What?”

“It’s Shinji…” Kaji said softly. “He’s…”

“He’s what?” she asked and looked over at Kensuke who was sitting in a chair, his face covered by his hands and the trembling of his shoulders left no doubt that he was crying.

“Damn it Shinji! Move your skinny butt!” Asuka screamed, though this time she lost her strength and started crying.

“Miss you’ll have to leave now, you’re causing a scene.” The doctor told the girl in annoyance.

After hearing Asuka scream, as well as the doctors’ reply, Kaji moved over to them. Misato still stood at the door, her eyes glued to the bed “No…” she said softly.

“Is there a problem here?” Kaji asked irritably. ‘Damn it, if Asuka wants to make a scene, then damn it… let her!’ passed though is mind.

Feeling the gentle hand of Kaji on her shoulder, Asuka collapses onto Shinji and continues to cry, not wanting to let go. However, it took her a moment before she noticed something. Something strange. Moving so that she could look at their hands, she felt it… and saw it this time. She felt his hand gripping hers!

“Doctor, what’s… what’s going on here? I was told that Shinji was just unconscious…” Kaji asks, not having a clue how things went so horribly wrong.

“His condition was worse then we thought… and this young lady is not accepting the fact that he’s dead…” The doctor says as she keeps her eyes on Asuka.

“That’s not what I was told a minute ago by those nurses…”

“They haven’t been attending the young man… he’s no longer with us.” The doctor says beginning to get irritated.

“NO! You dumkopf! He's holding my hand... I'm not gonna let go Shinji! I'm not gonna let go!"

Hearing that, Kensuke looked up, his eyes already red from crying, though the hope in his eyes is unmistakable.

From the doorway, Misato began to smile. “He… he’s alive…”

Just outside the door, the guard continued to talk into his communicator. “Yes sir… the doctor and Pilot Soryu are arguing over whether of not the Third child is dead or alive.” He paused for a moment letting the commander respond then nodding his head he replied. “Very well sir, I won’t let anyone else in until you get here.”

"Miss you have to leave, he's gone." The doctor tried again though she was no longer hiding the contempt in her voice.

"Kaji!" Asuka cried out, "He's alive!"

"He is?" The man asked with hope beginning to form in his eyes again.

"Yes, he's holding my hand and this idiot won't do anything!"

"I'm sorry but he's..."

"NO. HE’S. NOT!" Asuka yelled and took a swing at the doctor with her free hand. While she did not hit the doctor, the movement caught the surgical mask and pulled it away from the face…

"Why you!" the doctor nearly growled out before a loud bang filled the room. Asuka looked on with wide eyes as Kaji had just shot the doctor in the shoulder, spraying blood against the wall.

"Gah!!" The doctor yelled, though she was not the only one. Misato, Kensuke and one of the others in the room jerked at the sound.

As soon as the doctors’ mask has been ripped off, Kaji recognized the face, he had thought he recognized the voice and now he was sure of it. "Doctor Erna, I thought I knew your voice." He then looked at the nurses across the room who were in shock about what they just saw. "Get a real doctor in here now!”

“Whoa… what’s going on? A sleepy Toji asked as he looked around.

Not hearing him, one of the nurses protested Kaji’s actions. "But sir…"

"MOVE IT!" Kaji screamed at them forcing the nurses into action.

"It doesn't matter what you do to me..." The doctor said as he held her hand to the bleeding wound on her right shoulder. "That kid won't ever wake up. He's as good as..." A second bang filled the room causing the nurses to run even faster.

Kensuke looked on with wide eyes. “Holy…”

“…Crap,” Toji finished and looked at the doctor and then at the blood sprayed on the wall.

“Toji!” Kensuke cried out.

“Hay… um… What’s going on?”

“No time Toji,” Misato told him hurriedly, as she rushed over to his bed. Grabbing a nurse by the arm she told the girl, “Get him out of this room now or so help me you’ll be the next one that is bleeding.”

“Ah… yes ma’am!” The nurse replied, and she did not even bother to unlock the wheels before she hurriedly pushed Toji’s bed out of the room.

“Kensuke, stay with Toji, and you!” She shouted pointing to the guard at the door who was trying to figure out what was going on. Seeing him point to himself she continued, “Yes you, stay with Kensuke and Toji or by god I’ll shoot you myself!”

“Ah yes ma’am!” he shouted and followed the nurse as she frantically moved the bed containing Toji down the hall.

Turning her attention back to Kaji and the doctor, Misato was panting heavily and holding her stomach. ‘Not now... oh god… not now…’ she mentally ranted not sure if she was going to throw up or have a breakdown.

"AHHHHH!!! You shot me! Again!" The woman shouted from her now position on the floor with a wound in her left leg now to compliment the one in her right shoulder.

"What's the meaning of this?" A voice called out causing all movement to stop and all voices to quiet as the voice of Commander Gendo Ikari was suddenly heard. He was not sure what to make of things, especially a frantic nurse pushing a bed down the hall, a bed that was leaving skid marks on the floor seeing how she did not release the wheel locks first.

"A plant sir... I didn't recognize her until now when Asuka pulled her mask off. This is the one of the missing ones, the SEELE spy we have been looking for."

Gendo narrowed his eyes at the wounded woman on the floor. "What has she done?"

"She attempted to kill Shinji when the previous attack failed."

"I see." Commander Ikari said and focused his eyes on the bleeding woman. Reaching into his jacket, Gendo removed his side arm, took aim, and one final gunshot rang out in the already chaotic room. This time, the woman did not scream as the Commanders bullet hit her between the eyes. "Check her body; find out what she used on Sh... the Third Child."

“Yes sir!” Kaji replied and began rummaging though the woman’s pockets.

“Ah... Kaji…”

“Yes?” he asked the looked up to see Misato holding her stomach, and a pained expression on her face. “Misato!” He quickly was at her side. “Are you ok?”

“I… oh god… it hurts…”

“NURSE!”

“Ah… please… sit here…” A nurse quickly pulled up a wheelchair for the pained Colonel to sit in.

“What’s… ah… oh… wrong?”

“The excitement may have triggered some false contractions. It way to soon though... we need to get you some sedatives...”

“Do it… take care of her,” Kaji told the nurse before leaning over and giving his wife a kiss on the forehead. “Calm down, we’re going to be ok.”

“Ah… oh… says you!” she replied as she was wheeled out of the room.

“Sheisse…” Asuka said softly as she continued to hold Shinji’s hand, though a nurse quickly wheeled his bed, into another room with her still standing there dazed. When the nurse returned she put Shinji’s things on a table near the girl. But before she could even look at the things, a doctor came in with Commander Ikari.

“A drug was administered to him and considering the drug and the dosage we should not be having the conversation Commander,” the doctor said as she began examining Shinji.

“I see, so he is fighting it?” The commander asked and Asuka was not sure, but she swore she heard a hint of amusement in his voice.

“Amazing… had I not seen it for myself I would not believe it…” The doctor mumbled.

For a moment Asuka looked between the two of them, but that was all she had as the Commander soon left the room. “Um… doctor…”

“Ah yes Miss Soryu.”

“Ah… is Shinji going to be ok?”

“He will be, though he will have one hell of a headache when he wakes up… I am surprised he will even be waking up,” The doctor told her with a chuckle.

“Ah... is there anything you can give him?”

“Oh no… if I was to add anything to his blood stream now, it could be catastrophic. However he is doing it, the boy just needs to fend this off on his own.”

“Ah... I see.” She replied woodenly as she was not sure really how to respond to that.

“Good, I want you to stay here with him; you seem to be a good influence on him.”

“What?” Asuka asked as she looked at the doctor.

“Someone needs to keep an eye on him, I could have a nurse do it or…

“Oh no… it’s not a problem!” Asuka replied quickly and continued to hold Shinji’s hand.

“Good, good… I will be back later, you be good,” the doctor told her and left the room leaving a stunned girl in his wake. Smiling to himself he just shook his head. ‘Suko-chan… you were right about these kids being impressive. I’m glad I took your advice, though where are you hiding?’ he wondered and proceeded to check on his other patients.


His mind whirling around in a haze, due to the chemicals, Shinji struggles to open eyes. ‘That touch… it’s familiar… it has to be Asuka…’


“Of course it’s me!” A familiar voice says before a vision of Asuka appears, clothed in her school uniform. “Are you going to fight for me? Or just give up?”

“I don’t want to run away…”

“Good… do you think the real Asuka would like it if you gave up?”

“N-no… but I’m sure she’s mad at me… for everything I said… and what I did…”


The figure representing Asuka moves closer.

“Of course she is… but is that a reason to throw it all away? What is that saying of yours…” Asuka grins. “I mustn’t run away… yeah, that’s it…”

A serious problem to that is voiced by Shinji shortly after that comment. “But how can I face her after what I’ve said and done?”

The vision of Asuka begins to get angry and cries out. “You’re a man… stand up for yourself. Don’t be afraid… do you think Asuka wants to lose you? Huh?”

“No…” Is the meek response back.

“Then prove it! Fight for Asuka… and apologize… and she’ll take you back!”

Feeling encouraged by this, Shinji asks another question. “Are you sure?”

A grimace forms on the “dream state” Asuka’s face. “Of course I am… I’m representing her in your mind after all…”

“How do I know that this is real… and that she’ll do what you say she’ll do?”

"Mein Gott! You are so dense! Who’s holding your hand right now?”

“Umm…”

“If you say Kensuke or Misato I’ll make you regret being born…” Is the half-hearted reply back. “It’s Asuka of course… the real one… the one that wants YOU… you have a chance with her, so take it!”

Reaching forward, he takes the hand of the Asuka figure in front of him… and notices how real it feels immediately…


“It does feel warm… and it’s shaking… is something wrong? Her hand is shaking…” Shinji grows more concerned by the minute. “Is this real?”

“Yes, it is. It’s the hand that kept you from losing it all…”

That gets Shinji’s attention immediately. “What do you mean?”

“Something was trying to kill you after you blacked out… but her touch pulled you back… and saved your life…”

“I… I was going to die?” Shinji asks fearfully.

“Yes…”

“Eep…”

“You should appreciate your good fortune… that the real Asuka came along and saved you…”


After hearing that familiar line, Shinji cannot help but smile. “I guess I should… and let her know how much I do appreciate her…”

“Exactly! Now wake up and talk to her!”


The dream state Asuka gives Shinji a gently push and suddenly he feels his eyes opening. ‘All I can see is red… I feel the warmth of her face against mine… oh, Asuka…’


“Asuka…”

“Shinji!” Asuka exclaims, her voice filled with joy. “You’re awake!”

“Yeah…”


Asuka pulls back a little, allowing Shinji to rub his eyes and adjust his vision. A few moments later, he can see her clearly…


“It’s good to see you… I… uhhh…” Feeling a sudden throbbing, Shinji places a hand on his forehead.

“The doctor said you’d have a headache after you woke up… just lie still.”

“Oh…”

“Shinji… I almost lost you…” Asuka says, trying not to cry. “SEELE had a planted doctor and she nearly killed you…”

“That explains… the feelings and thoughts I had… but someone brought me back… encouraged me to go back…”


Knowing what Shinji’s talking about, Asuka squeezes his hand even tighter and realizes something. ‘He never took off that ring… and neither did I… I guess we both had faith that we’d get back together at some point… and that our bond is very deep…’

“Did a little voice tell you to hang on… to wake up?” Asuka says playfully.

“Yes… how did you know?” A surprised Third Child asks, wondering how she could’ve known that.

“I guess when we did our memory sharing I got a part of you in my head… and you got a part of me… I heard it this morning, actually…”

“Asuka, there’s something I want to tell you… but I think I wrote it better then I can say it…”

Asuka smiles and shows Shinji what’s in her other hand. “I know… I already read it… but I want to hear it from you…”

“Ahh…” A sharp pain forces Shinji to relax his head back down on the pillow. “Damn headache…”

“Shinji… it’ll take some time for that stuff to get out of your head…” Asuka says before gently placing a kiss on his forehead.

“Yeah… I guess you and I were targets of SEELE and their mind games… and it nearly killed us…”


Upon hearing that, wheels begin churning inside Asuka’s mind. ‘Wait a second… that’s it! If its possible to make copies of one person... they could…'

“Shinji… are you going to be okay if I leave for a bit?”

“I think so…”

“Okay… just keep awake and when I come back we can talk a little more, okay?”


Shinji wonders why Asuka has to leave so suddenly… ‘Maybe there’s something that she has to do for NERV… or some order…’

Nodding his head, Shinji confirms his prior response. Asuka walks out of the room and heads to the main entrance, where she finds a guard waiting outside.

“You were the guard that was running after me…”

“Yes, ma’am. I had no idea you were so fast…” He concedes. “How can I help you?”

“I want you to take me to the video room… where they do all of the surveillance…”

The guard motions down the hallway. “Follow me…”


Over in another part of the infirmary, one of the doctors finishes a final test on Toji…

“It looks like you’re ready for duty again… I see no after effects of the accident present.”

“Great! Now I can go back and see Hikari again… I bet she’s worried about me. I wanna see my little sister, too…” Toji says happily.

“It’s good to see you back with us, Toji…” Kensuke adds, happy that his friend recovered safely. “It’s been pretty crazy around here today…”

The doctor takes his leave and silently agrees. ‘Those SEELE people are ruthless… they nearly got the Third Child… and I’m sure it’s not over yet…’


As Toji gets changed and visits his sister, Kensuke heads off to meet Rei and bring her to the infirmary, so she can see Shinji and Misato.


In another area of NERV, the leader of the SEELE forces is cursing about what just happened.

“Damn… they caught the doctor just in time and saved that little brat…”

“What she we do sir? There aren’t many of us left…” An underling asks his commander.

“Let’s see… it looks like that the Fourth is heading back towards the apartment… and the Fifth is heading out to meet the First. Of course, the Third Child is in the infirmary with Colonel Katsuragi… hmm… I wonder where that girl is heading off to…”

“Should we stop her?”

“No, I’ll take care of her myself. This is perfect for us… all the pilots are spreading out and the Colonel is out of commission for the time being. I know the perfect place to be waiting… start the plan in thirty minutes. Make sure that there’s no near misses like what happened just now in the infirmary. This is our last chance… so we have to take it while they’re still reeling from what just happened.”

Taking a bow, the soldier salutes his commander. “Understood. All units will move out in fifteen minutes…”

‘It’s time for the echo to triumph over the voice…’ Is the thought passing through the SEELE leaders’ mind as the troops leave the room. ‘I’ll take care of that redhead myself…’


To be continued in Chapter 39: SEELE strikes back


Thanks to datexn for coming up with that nightmare idea… the first sentence and the two paragraphs after are directly from an idea that he gave me… the rest I added. Forgive the delve into the psychological realm… writing that part made me think about the end of the series and the EOE movie.