Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ All That I Am ❯ Second Refrain ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer to the First Refrain (Or any Evangelion Fanfiction disclaimer for that matter. It all boils down to the same thing. Gainax have it, not us.)

Author's Pre-Rant -

You'll notice I haven't made mention of exactly what is in store for our young male protagonist. Can't help myself. Don't worry. All shall be revealed. And yes, at some point I'll actually get around to the relationship stuff, it just takes time considering the character personalities we're dealing with. So don't expect Rei to be throwing herself at the young Ikari Hedgehog anytime soon or vice-versa. I can understand the dangerous allure of OOC. But I still won't use it. Maybe I'll take requests. (And before you say/type it, I hear the 'crawl away and die' thing often enough as it is.)

PS - Yes Rei's Apartment is 402 (Stupid Writers fault, been a while since he last watched the series. Yes, essentially I'm writing this from memory. Scary stuff.) And one fairly major point I'll raise right now. If you are vehemently against the whole Shinji/Rei idea, why bother reading this. Just wait until my next story. I didn't want to have to say this but felt it was necessary. The whole Asuka/Shinji/Rei conflict has been done to death. Just enjoy the story. (Writer apologises for that.)

All That I Am

Second Refrain - Revelations

Tokyo-3 Municipal High School

"Hey Shinji….."

Shinji's audible moan caught the attention of his classmates as he lowered his head to the table in weary resignation. Some shook their heads, sympathising with his plight. The scene was replayed often enough that it was almost expected.

<Please don't let him ask the question, the same question… NOT AGAIN, PLEASE KAMI-SAMA.> Shinji's mind screamed, knowing full well his plea would go unheard "Yes Kensuke?"

"About that last Angel….." Kensuke began checking the wing of his model VTOL fighter jet as he sat down on the desk beside Shinji's. With the enforced D-17 Evacuation order, he had been unable to gather any information on the event that had taken place and Shinji had been less than forthcoming about the whole thing. It amazed Kensuke that Shinji couldn't enjoy everything he had. He got to Pilot EVA. He got to live with Misato. In Kensuke's opinion, Shinji had everything that any self respecting fourteen year old boy could ever want or need.

No longer able to control himself, Shinji began slowly and firmly knocking his head against the table, hoping the act would bestow blessed unconsciousness. It was the only escape from his friend's constant quest for any scrap of information on the Evangelion Units, NERV and the Angels. The only glimmer of light in his world was the simple fact that his spectacled companion was unaware that there had actually been another Angel attack since then. Asuka had all but promised to end his life if he ever made mention of the embarrassing details of that particular incident.

<Must….*Thump*……Not….*Thump*&# 8230;…Kill…….*Thump*……Kensuke…….* Thump*>

"Hey Ken, ease up will ya. You've asked him about the same thing every day for the last three weeks. I don't think Shinji has anything left to tell ya." Touji watched on as Shinji continued to beat his head against the desk. He could only sympathise with his shy friend. Kensuke was a dedicated Military Otaku. Rarely a day passed without him asking something about the specifications of the Evangelions, it's weapons or the Angels themselves. The fact that all three Pilots seemed, in Touji's opinion, majorly screwed up didn't prevent his long time friend from desperately clamouring to be a Pilot. His one experience inside the giant fighting mecha had him convinced it was extremely overrated. He was in no real hurry to repeat the experience.

"It's just that…." Kensuke's words died in his throat as he tried to make sense of what his eyes were telling him. It was something he never believed would happen. Not in this or any other lifetime. <Camera. I don't have my camera.>

"Ikari-kun?" The soft voice caused Shinji to pause in his quest for release.

Glancing up, he found himself under the scrutiny of the enigmatic First Children. "Huh? Oh, Ayanami, what is it? Are we needed at NERV?" He couldn't recall Rei speaking to him unless absolutely necessary. And 'necessary' implied NERV. <We had a harmonics test yesterday, the next one shouldn't be for a few days.> He wondered as he idly rubbed his aching forehead.

Rei briefly shook her head. "No. There are no scheduled tests today." Rei's hands twitched slightly. "You should not injure yourself Ikari-kun."

<Whoah! Ayanami showing concern for someone. This is new.>

Both Touji and Kensuke were not the only ones watching in awed silence at the unusual display of Rei Ayanami, her hands clutching her school satchel in front of her, standing, talking to Shinji.

"You must not impair your ability to Pilot EVA."

The class released a general sigh of relief at her clinical observation. The natural order of things was restored. Rei's unusual display of concern was simply motivated by ensuring that a fellow Pilot was able to perform his duties to the best of his ability. Not for any personal reasons.

Shinji bowed his head at the girls rebuke. "Oh. Sorry Ayanami."

Having finished conveying her thoughts, the young girl inclined her head in acknowledgement and turned to take her allocated seat adjacent to the window.

Touji leaned in to whisper to Shinji. "Hey Shinji, what's going on between you and Ayanami?"

"What? Nothing! There's nothing going on." The simple thought of a female, any female, being even remotely interested in him caused his cheeks to warm slightly. Gazing briefly at the quiet girl, Shinji's subconscious assaulted him relentlessly with the images of the First Children the time he had ventured into her apartment to deliver her new NERV ID Card.

"Hmmmm! It's just that's the first time I've ever seen her initiate a conversation with anyone. Ever." The light reflected off Kensuke's glasses, lending his features a lecherous cast. He had noted his friend's surreptitious glance and the accompanying blush. "As a married man, you shouldn't make your affairs so public. The Devil will probably skin you." The familiar taunt concerning his living arrangement with Asuka was obviously still of some amusement to his friends.

"She's just making sure I can Pilot. That's all." Shaking his head to clear the visions of a damp, naked Rei lying beneath him, Shinji expressed the truth as he knew it to be.

"I guess." Noticing the elderly Sensei enter the class, Touji and Kensuke walked back to their seats just as the Class Representative, Hikari Horaki led the students through the morning greeting.

***

Central Dogma - Office of Doctor Akagi

"Remind me again, just how did we become friends?" Ritsuko glared at the other occupant in her office who she was absolutely sure was only here to steal oxygen and waste her valuable time.

Ignoring the blonde scientist's disdain, Misato helped herself to the freshly brewed coffee and sat down opposite Ritsuko. "Can you believe it? How can the Commander just hand his own son over to those, those……vultures?" Misato sighed as the hot, rich blend soothed her nerves. It wasn't Yebisu, but it would have to do.

Ritsuko rolled her eyes, wishing she had a cigarette. "Misato, they're not vultures, they're -" Her defence of the Commander was stopped short by the dismissive wave of Misato's hand.

"I know what they are. You don't have to tell me." Misato stared off into space.

Utilising her analytical genius, the Chief Scientist of NERV and Head of Project E offered her objective rational. "I would have thought Shinji-kun would be ecstatic. Most boys his age would be."

"Shinji's not like most boy's. You should have seen him the first time he had to wash my panties. I thought he was having a seizure." That particular memory caused Misato to laugh.

"It probably depends on just how dirty they were." The off hand remark hit a nerve.

Now it was Misato's turn to glare. "They weren't that bad." She exclaimed.

"Speaking of bad and dirty." Ritsuko raised her eyes to look at something directly behind Misato. "Morning Kaji-kun."

"Hey, what are my two favourite ladies up to?" Misato cringed as she heard the voice.

Shrugging nonchalantly, Ritsuko smirked at Misato's discomfort. "Nothing better to do Kaji-kun?"

"Actually, now that you mention it, something very, very important requires my special attention." The unshaven rogue casually placed a hand on Misato's shoulder only to have her pinch it between her fingers and remove it.

"You've heard I take it?" Misato sniffed in mock annoyance at the man's continued presumption.

Kaji flashed his patented 'Lady-Killer' smile, all to no avail considering his opponents. "Certainly. I thought perhaps young Shinji-kun could use a few pointers."

Misato glared for real. "You will do no such thing Kaji. Leave Shinji-kun alone. You might be the only male influence in his life but the last thing he needs are your chauvinistic thoughts ruining him for life."

Holding his hands up in defeat, Kaji grinned at his one-time former lover. "Whoa, Katsuragi. Take it easy. I was only going to make sure he could navigate the waters."

"Kaji-kun, I suggest you leave Shinji-kun alone. Or the old Mother Hen will peck your eyes out." Ritsuko ignored the angry Major and instead left the two of them alone. "Play nice now children. And don't mess my office up too much okay. I do have to work in here."

Ritsuko's laughter was swallowed up by the angry curses of a purple haired woman followed by a loud slap. "Just because Ritsu-chan said we could play doesn't mean we're going to!"

***

Gathering of the Council of Seven Eyes

Gendou Ikari sat at his desk, his hands steepled in front of his face. It was an effective habit he had developed to aid in masking and controlling his emotional state. Considering his present company, deception was his only true ally.

The Chairman for Human Complementation and Director of SEELE stared at younger man. Many found his demeanour unsettling. Not so the stoic Commander of NERV. "I expected you to resist the directive Ikari. Once again you surprise me."

"I'll take that as a compliment Chairman." The temptation to smirk at his supposed superior was restrained by his iron clad will.

Lorentz Keel showed no such restraint as he scowled openly at his verbal sparring partner. "I don't like surprises Ikari. Surprises tend to cause me to ………overreact."

Gendou was unphased by the implied promise of retribution. Only a fool could live their life without making enemies. Considering the numerous enemies he had acquired, Gendou was anything but a fool. "I only did as was requested of me. The Third Children has been informed and will meet with the interested parties this afternoon. Apparently Agent Kaji is attending as well."

"Ah yes, the infamous Ryouji Kaji. It is only natural that a man of his reputation would attend such a gathering." Lorentz made a special mental reminder to have his appointed informant report on the real happenings within NERV.

Seeking to deviate the meeting towards more mundane and irrelevant matters, Gendou decided to engage his opponent in conversation. "Indeed. If even half of the rumours are fact, he will be more than at home."

The ploy was quickly dismissed however, as Lorentz focused on the reason for the impromptu meeting. "To more important matters Ikari. The last report was ……enlightening. Considering the Simulation bodies were destroyed, rendering the proposed auto-pilot system useless, the Dummy System now holds more significance. How soon until it is completed?"

Abandoning his pretence, Gendou reverted back to his normal demeanour. "Everything remains on schedule."

"Doctor Akagi's report indicated that anomalous 'emotional characteristics' were hampering the process. Is the current First Children no longer of use?" As with Gendou Ikari, Lorentz Keel always paid special attention to any report mentioning the Pilot of Unit 00. She was a vital component in realising SEELE's ambitions.

<It appears Doctor Akagi is a little too thorough in her submissions to the Committee.> "Pilot Ayanami is still operating within the designated parameters. My hypothesis is her increased interaction with both the Second and Third Children is the catalyst to her emotional state. It has yet to affect her performance. Regardless, this iteration is expected to survive at least until the appearance of the Sixteenth Messenger. Preparing a replacement at this stage could be troublesome."

"Then everything is proceeding as determined by this Council. Just as it should." The holographic image of the SEELE Director faded out, leaving Gendou alone with his thoughts.

Sitting within the darkness, Gendou's eye's narrowed ominously behind his glasses. "We shall see."

***

Tokyo-3 Municipal High School

Recess was a time of reckless abandon for the students of Tokyo-3. It afforded the children a brief respite from the daily grind of lectures, surprise exams and boredom. It also gave free reign to the most insidious beast that existed at every single school around the globe.

Gossip.

The great student grapevine was an institution created, cultivated and continued by successive generations of children. Fact or fiction. Rumour, innuendo and occasionally even the truth all had their rightful place within the hallowed domain of education.

"Did you hear the latest?" Stopping to swallow his food, Kensuke made sure he had his two friends full attention before continuing. "Takashi in 1A sent me an update. The finals of the Miss Japan Beauty Pageant is coming to Tokyo-3." He could barely conceal the enthusiasm in his voice as he clenched his fist, closed his eyes and allowed his mind to fill with visions of beautiful women. All very Misato-like in appearance.

The reactions of the two boys was something of a mixed bag. Touji practically choked on his food while Shinji performed a reasonable impression of a singularity as he withdrew further in on himself.

Touji's reaction was atypical of the boy's personality. Kensuke knew that the young athlete had been following the prestigious event since it began a few weeks ago. Very much like Kensuke himself. But then like most teenage males, any event with beautiful near naked women was something worthy of attention.

Shinji's reaction was slightly unexpected. "Shinji, you okay?" Kensuke eyed the boy speculatively, ignoring the slightly purple hue of his other friend as the food refused to allow the passage of air.

"No. Nothing wrong. The wasabi's just a little strong. That's all." Shinji began wondering if the Fates themselves had a personal vendetta against him.

Finally managing to expel the half chewed food from his throat, Touji grabbed the military wannabe and hastily spun him around. "Ken. Details."

Shrugging off Touji's grasp, Kensuke pushed his glasses higher up onto the bridge of his nose. "Apparently the organisers decided to hold the finals here. They're even appointing a special guest judge to adjudicate on the whole thing. I was going to head over to the hotel after school." He looked at his friends. "You guys in?"

Scoffing the remainder of his food at an alarmingly dangerous rate, Touji grinned. "We are so there, right Shinji?"

Shinji managed a weak smile. "Sorry guys, I….uhhh…..have stuff to do after school. Maybe another time." Both his friends understood. Shinji's part time work took precedence over anything and everything.

Never one to let depression run his life, Touji slapped Shinji on the back. "Man that's too bad Shinji. Me and Ken'll make sure to get some hot photo's of the babes for you."

"Ummm…. Thanks, I guess." Shinji wasn't sure whether this was an entirely good thing. Living with Misato and more recently, Asuka, had necessitated that any and all marginally pornographic material had to be extremely well hidden. It wouldn't do to provide Asuka with any additional ammunition for her 'Shinji is an Uber-Pervert' campaign and if Misato ever found them. He shuddered, he didn't even want to contemplate the potential outcome of that particular line of thought.

"No problem Shinji. What are friends for."

Never having had friends before, Shinji was still trying to discover the answer to that one.

***

Tokyo-3 International Hotel

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mister Ikari. My names Yushiro Nishijima, the event organiser for 'Miss Japan 2015'." Shinji found himself confronted by an overweight man in his late forties extending his hand out in an obvious attempt to shake hands. Shinji's only understanding of Western customs were essentially provided by his colleague and roommate, Asuka. Although to date, most of that consisted of complaints and abuse.

Attempting to mimic the man's casual stance, Shinji gripped his offered hand and briefly shook his arm. "Hello Nishijima-san. Please, just call me Shinji."

"Call me Yushiro." Smiling at the nervous youth, Yushiro turned to the striking lavender haired woman beside him. "Major Katsuragi I believe. The reports of your appearance do not do you justice. The girls should count their blessings that you're not a contestant."

The brief smile that flashed across Misato's face offered every indication that she was largely indifferent to the man's obvious attempt at flattery. Even if it was the truth. "I assume NERV Security has explained things."

"Ahh yes. The charming individuals in dark suits that make lumps of granite look affable. They went to great lengths to explain all the precautionary measures that will be implemented. I cannot fathom why such drastic security is required, but to ensure the success of the event, I'll barter with the King of Hell himself." Sweat trickled down his neck as he recalled the precise details and very real promises of an unpleasant nature if anything untoward prevented the agents of Section 2 from completing their assigned duties.

Having dealt with Section 2 before, Misato could sympathise to a degree. <It's much worse than that. You've entered into an arrangement with Commander Ikari. You'll find that the King of Hell is probably far easier to deal with.> "Not everyone agrees or sympathises with NERV Nishijima-san. Ensuring the safety of our Pilots is something we take very seriously."

"Yes Yes. I understand implicitly." Yushiro bowed slightly in deference to the woman. "I still can't believe your so young, Shinji. Your parents must be very proud of your achievements. Probably quite the ladies man as well, I'm sure."

The comment about his parents was all it took to have Shinji pull back slightly and stare at the floor off to his side. While he could barely recall his mother, the constant reminder of just how indifferent his father was, how he was forced into facing him at NERV on a regular basis, was more than enough.

Noticing the sudden shift in behaviour of the young boy, Yushiro looked to Misato for some sort of answer.

Misato shook her head slightly, encouraging the man to abandon any thoughts of prying into things that didn't concern him.

Sweating uncomfortably at the darkening mood permeating the atmosphere, Yushiro quickly changed the topic of conversation. "Well anyway, I hope you enjoy your stay with us Shinji. You'll find we've spared no expense in ensuring you have one of the best suites in the Hotel." He leaned in and whispered conspiratorially, "Right on the same floor as all the girls no less."

Instead of returning the somewhat lecherous grin, Shinji stared in almost complete shock at the now baffled man. "Misato-san?"

"I hadn't heard about this. Just give me a moment Shinji-kun." Equally disturbed by the statement, Misato quickly hit the speed dial on her cell phone as she walked over to a slightly less noisy corner. Shinji carefully observed his guardian's face as she held her fairly animated discussion with someone. After a few minutes, Misato rejoined her ward and the event organiser. Her face spoke volumes about what she had just been informed of.

Wondering what all the fuss was about, Yushiro explained the details, hoping to assuage both the young Pilot and his Commanding Officer. "Major Katsuragi, I assure you that our Executive Committee obtained permission to have young Mister Ikari stay with us for the duration of the contest. We even arranged most of the photo and television shoots around NERV's own testing schedule. And in the case of an emergency, your own Security Forces are on site to expedite his removal back to NERV Headquarters."

Misato sighed. Her brief talk with Ritsuko had explained just as much. Leaning down to look Shinji in the eye, Misato forced herself to smile as she gently squeezed his shoulders. She could feel him flinch at the gentle contact. "Just think Shinji. All those gorgeous women will be vying for your attention." Instead of lifting his sprits, the words seemed to have an increased detrimental effect "You're okay with this Shinji-kun?" <Please be okay.>

"I guess." He knew he had no alternative available to him.

The uncomfortable sensation became almost unbearable as Misato watched what little life the boy had slowly disappear. "I'll drop by tomorrow Shinji-kun. I'll see you then, okay."

"Yes Misato-san." She could feel the walls around the boy reinforce at his whispered response.

As she walked out of the Hotel, Misato couldn't help but feel she had abandoned the emotionally fragile boy. <He must wonder if anyone really cares about what he wants. He doesn't enjoy Piloting. His own father treats him like a stranger. Maybe I'll bring Asuka and Rei with me tomorrow. And his friends as well. That might cheer him up.>

***

Horaki Residence

"Aaaah. All I keep getting is Kaji-san's answering machine." Asuka glared at he NERV issue cell phone, somehow suspecting it was the culprit in denying the course of true love from eventuating between herself and Ryouji Kaji.

Looking up from her magazine, Hikari offered her friend a compassionate and understanding smile. "Working for NERV tends to consume some people. Dad's at work so much now that I'm starting to think he lives there and this is just his home away from home."

Asuka frowned. <He always seems to find time for Misato or Ritsuko!> Remembering how he had shown up in the Doctor's company for Misato's promotion party not long ago. "Commander Ikari probably has him wasting his time on something pointless."

The young brunette tilted her head slightly. "I've never heard Ikari-kun mention his father. What's he like?"

Leaning back against the bed, Asuka stared up at the ceiling as she sorted through her thoughts. "Arrogant, manipulative. The man's cold, Hikari. He treats everyone like they're some sort of expendable pawn." Her eyes hardened. "Everyone except Wonder Girl. She's his favourite." The mere mention of the Pilot of the Prototype Evangelion unsettled her. The blue haired girl just didn't fit into Asuka's view of how the world worked.

"Ayanami? But isn't Ikari-kun his son? Surely -" Before she could complete the sentence, the red haired German girl interrupted.

"Hmmph. Everyone else treats him like he's so special. You should see the way Misato and Ritsuko carry on. I'm the number one Pilot. My synch ratio's still higher than his. I've worked for nearly seven years to get where I am. And they all act like he's the some sort of invincible hero." <So his Synch Ratio climbed a few measly points in a few days. So what.>

"But from what I've heard, Ikari-kun only started training as an EVA Pilot after he came to Tokyo-3 earlier in the year. Isn't it kind of amazing that he could just walk in off the street and do things it's taken you………." Noting how Asuka suddenly became all tense, Hikari decided to abandon the conversation, opting instead to turn the conversation towards the latest fashions in her magazine.

***

Tokyo-3 Municipal High School

Rei firmly squeezed the wash cloth, draining the course material as she continued scrubbing the classroom floor. The other students that were rostered for after school chores joked and laughed as they hurried to complete the required work and finally leave to enjoy the remainder of the evening. They ignored the quiet girl as she diligently performed her designated activity. Not from malice or spite. It was just no one really knew how to approach the recalcitrant albino.

Recalling Shinji's words that her actions reminded him of how a mother would accomplish the work and the simple reference that he felt she would be a good mother still embarrassed her. <His words affect me. As do his actions.>

Watching the Third Children purposely injure himself had disturbed her. It had taken all her mental reserves to approach the boy and caution him against pursuing such behaviour. Her own body had nearly betrayed her. Her hand had almost reached out to halt his self-destruction.

Before the advent of the Third Angel, her memories were of Commander Ikari. His stern countenance. His demand that she achieve his intended goal. The memories before that were hazy and clouded, as if seen through opaque glass. And further back were half whispered phrases from a time she knew was impossible for her to have known.

Instead it was those of recent events demanded her attention.

Memories of being held by the young boy during the Third Angel's attack on Tokyo-3. Of seeing his tears of joy and relief after confirming her well being after her near demise after the Fifth Angel's assault.

<Ikari-kun's presence……..affects me.>

Barely acknowledging her class mates as they departed, Rei dissected the unfamiliar thoughts and uncomfortable feelings that assailed her more and more of late.

***

Tokyo-3 International Hotel

The image projected onto the large screen in the background was disturbing. At least that was the impression Shinji had. Whoever had taken the footage had obviously risked their lives in doing so. Dominating the image, Unit 01 stood proud with its arms thrown above it's head preventing the falling Angel from striking Tokyo-3 and destroying everything. The electrolysed patterns of clashing AT Fields visible for all to see. Shinji grimaced as he recalled the strain and pressure he had experienced as a flow on effect. The damage incurred by Unit 01 had filtered through the feedback system, causing him to suffer the associated phantom pains. He rubbed his arms, remembering how it had felt after the adrenaline had worn off. The fact that Doctor Akagi had informed him that the symbiotic experience would increase as his Synchronisation ratio with Unit 01 improved only worsened his attitude towards EVA.

Hearing his name announced, Shinji sighed and shuffled out onto the stage, pausing briefly to glance at the audience as rapid flashes from cameras erupted, engulfing his vision in blinding light.

***

End Second Refrain

Tbc

Authors Post-Rant -

Yep. Shinji is the Special Guest Judge for the Final Round of the Miss Japan Beauty Pageant (I bet you all expected something far more insidious. It can't always be dark, at least not at this point.) How will he react to being in such a position of responsibility? How will the Author factor in the whole S/R relationship type thing? Tune in next time, Same Bat Channel, Same….. Hang on, wrong show. Damn late night re-runs. It's like that annoying song that sticks in your head all day.

Ja Ne