Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ All That I Am ❯ Third Refrain ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer to the First Refrain

Author's Pre-Rant -

Considering how difficult it is to mesh my own thoughts and ideas into the tapestry that is EVA, the time between chapters will gradually increase (maybe.). We'll see how things unfold. Just don't expect updates every week, okay. Yes I mean you. I do actually have to balance poor penmanship (typing?) with my real life. (You have no idea how sad it really is. - Anime - Work - Anime - Overtime - Anime - Reading - Anime. You get the point.)

Also, ChiRho has offered to host my debut Work 'Insight and Understanding' on his Website (evamade.com) and Ayanami-chan has created a link on her site (rei-shinji.cjb.net) to this story. It boggles the mind considering the folks at evafics.org rejected my work.

All That I Am

Third Refrain - Unconventional Katsuragi Plans

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu Residence

"Misato, tell the idiot to get out here already. He should be cooking dinner instead of doing perverted things in his room." Asuka hollered from the living room. <Probably just staring at the ceiling listening to his stupid tape player.> Switching the channels in the hopes of finding something other than a cooking program or game show was starting to look impossible. (A/N - If you've ever watched TV in Japan, you know that this is a major component of their general programming.) It annoyed the German girl just how Asian everything was. "Mein Gott. Why can't we get cable?"

Misato was tempted to ask just whom 'The Idiot' was that Asuka was referring to, but decided not to. It had been a long day after all, and besides, she had a fairly good idea who it was directed at. "Can't." Misato simply responded from the kitchen.

Abandoning her search for decent evening television programming, Asuka decided to play a video game instead. "What do you mean?"

"Shin-chan's not here." The woman's voice sounded slightly depressed as she answered.

<Not here?> Thrusting herself off the couch, Asuka stretched her lithe frame. "Then call him and tell him to get his scrawny butt back here. I'm getting hungry."

"He's not coming back." The all too familiar noise of a beer can opening followed Misato's reply. "Not for a while anyway."

"Where is he then?" Setting up her game console, Asuka began sorting through the selection of games, hoping to work off a little stress in a violent fighting simulation.

"Work." The woman's voice sounded odd. But Asuka considered that it was probably just the fact that Misato had her mouth wrapped around the beer can as she spoke.

"Misato." Pausing in her search, Asuka decided to confront the woman face to face.

"Yes Asuka." Misato knew her less than helpful answers were starting to irritate the Second Children, but she was unable to stop herself. Without Shinji to tease her only remaining option was Asuka. Something that pleased neither party.

Entering the kitchen, Asuka grabbed a can of soda from the fridge. "Baka Shinji may put up with your games but I won't. What's going on? Where is he?"

5 Minutes Later

"So he gets to live it up. In four star luxury no less, while I have to stay here in this dive." Asuka exclaimed as she waved an arm at the small apartment.

Misato watched the girl for a few moments before replying. "I think it's five star actually and my apartment is not a dive." <Not anymore.> She thought, and not for the first time thanked whatever Gods were listening that Shinji was a part of her life.

"So what are we doing for food. Are we ordering takeout? Eating out?" <Maybe I can get Kaji-san to take me out to dinner. Some nice, romantic, out of the way place. Then back to his apartment ……> Asuka allowed her adolescent fantasy to sweep her away from the mad woman in front of her and into Ryouji Kaji's embrace.

The beaming smile on Misato's face shattered her all to brief dream.

Half an hour later

"Just what is this?" Using her fork, Asuka carefully poked the potentially toxic substance on the plate before her.

Misato barely paused between bites as she answered. "Dinner."

Asuka looked quizzically at the older woman, back at her 'food' then back to Misato. "No. I've seen dinner before. This doesn't even come close."

"You can always cook your own." Misato shrugged as she continued to eat and drink.

Asuka crossed her arms over her chest and turned her head away in complete defiance at Misato's ludicrous suggestion. "Asuka Langley Sohryu does not cook. That's what people like Baka Shinji are for."

"Then I guess you're going to get awfully hungry Asuka." Having consumed her meal, Misato belched in satisfaction. <At least Shinji-kun never complains like this. He always ate my cooking.> Using a toothpick to scrape the remnants of dinner from between her teeth, Misato sighed wistfully. <I miss eating his though.>

Asuka seethed as she glared at the woman at the table with her. Disgusted with her slovenly attitude, she peered over at the only other member of the household.

Pen-Pen was standing at his food dish, warily considering the implications of eating whatever it was his beer provider had served up. He had thought such things had thankfully become a thing of the past with the advent of the timid boy. Glancing up, he noticed the noisy red head staring at him, practically threatening him to eat. Leaning gingerly down, he scooped a small morsel into his beak and swallowed.

The resounding thud of the small flightless bird's body striking the floor didn't even phase Misato as she happily decided to have a second helping, interspersed with hefty doses of Yebisu.

Asuka pushed her plate away, taking great care to not actually touch the offensive creation. "When does Shinji come back exactly?"

***

Tokyo-3 International Hotel

<Finally, a chance to rest.> Shinji eased himself into the seat and began picking at his food. While his hosts had offered him a seat at the main table with a whole range of other official dignitaries, he had simply filled a plate with a variety of foods and excused himself. Having found a secluded pagoda outside in the hotel's courtyard, he rejoiced at the welcome reprieve from the overt stares of the people inside the hotel.

His reprieve was short lived however.

"Oh. I didn't realise someone was here." Startled by the voice, Shinji glanced up to find a stunning young woman gazing at him. She smiled as she spoke. "Do you mind if I join you?" Had he known what to look for, he may have noticed the hungry look in her gaze.

Realising he was staring, he quickly looked away. "I'm sorry. I'll find somewhere else if you'd like to be alone." He mumbled as made to leave.

The woman smiled and waved his offer away. "No. That's okay. Besides….." Shinji suddenly found himself mesmerised by the soft sway of her hips as she glided over towards him. "I wouldn't mind the company." Slowly lowering herself beside the now petrified young man, the woman smiled seductively. "I'm Megumi by the way. Megumi Tanaka. Pleased to meet you."

"Shinji. Shinji Ikari. I'm …" The woman's soft laughter forced his throat to constrict. <It's like music. Her laughter sounds pretty.>

"Yes. I know. Everyone's talking about you. The famous Pilot of Evangelion Unit 01." Sidling closer to the boy, Megumi leaned in against him. "And the special guest judge too. I never expected you to be so cute though."

Shinji found himself trapped by her dark, sultry eyes. They held him in place as her head slowly moved closer and closer. Her red lips parting slightly in anticipation and expectation.

"There you are Shinji, found you at last."

Megumi scowled as she turned to find a distraught Yushiro Nishijima hurriedly making his way to join the couple. <Damn you Nishijima. I was so close.>

"You left before I could introduce you to our sponsors. They're extremely anxious to meet you." Bowing to the young woman, Yushiro hauled the boy away. Once out of earshot, Yushiro leaned down and whispered to the slightly confused boy. "I didn't have a chance to warn you, the girls are out and out predators. And considering your position as the Judge and a Pilot, you're their number one prey."

"Is Megumi a contestant?" It suddenly made sense. Megumi was obviously very pretty. <And her smile….Kind of like Ayanami's.> His memory overlapped the smiles. <It'd be nice if I could see Ayanami smile again.>

Yushiro was beginning to wonder whether his special guest was all there. "Yes. There're nine finalists in all. And they all desperately want to win." Slightly exasperated by the unusual turn of events, Yushiro appraised the young Pilot once again. "I don't think our TV Executives knew you were this young. Do you have a girlfriend Shinji?"

"N-n-no." Stammering his reply, Shinji blushed uncontrollably at the suggestion. The only girls close to his age he knew with any level of familiarity were Asuka and Rei. Asuka made her opinion of him very, very clear, whereas Rei. Rei simply offered no opinion whatsoever.

Yushiro sighed. "There goes that idea. I was kind of hoping that if the girls saw you with someone, it may slow them down a bit." He glanced speculatively at the boy. "What about a boyfriend?"

Shinji face faulted, tripped and fell. His incoherent babbling was all the answer Yushiro needed. "Not gay? Well at least the girls will be happy with that. Although perhaps they might have enjoyed the challenge."

Recovering slightly from the sudden shock at having a virtual stranger subject him to some very personal questioning, Shinji considered what had happened earlier with Megumi. "So they'll try and use me to their advantage? Just try and gain my favour to win?" Considering his life to date in Tokyo-3, being used was slowly becoming the only reason he was alive.

"And how. Do you know how much this title is worth Shinji?" Seeing the boy shake his head, Yushiro continued. "Last years winner, Rika Hayasae. Heard of her?"

Once again Shinji shook his head. "I don't watch a lot of television Yushiro-san."

"Well, she's one of your fellow judges. Rika's a multi-millionaire due to winning. She still ranks in the top ten on the popular music charts. Her fashion label still sells extremely well. Essentially it's worth enough that the contestants will do 'anything' to win. Anything at all. And if it means using their charms to 'convince' you that they deserve to win, then they'll do it." Noticing that Shinji was no longer beside him, Yushiro turned to find the boy standing, staring at the floor.

"What should I do?" Shinji raised his head to stare at the man.

Yushiro sighed wearily. <Sit back and enjoy the free lunch. But you don't look the kind of guy that would do that.> "I'll talk to your guardian. Perhaps she can suggest something." He offered, trying to calm the boy.

Far from settling his nerves, Shinji felt a dark cloud looming overhead. <Should I tell him that Misato-san's plans are sometimes a little……unconventional.>

***

As soon as Misato voiced her suggestion with a broad smile on her face, Shinji knew his life had progressed from the gloomy depths of unfortunate right into the waiting arms of a Noh tragedy. (A/N - I dare any of you to sit through a Noh play. Painful. Very, very painful.)

"You can't be serious?" Asuka's exclamation was made all the more poignant as she had an arm wrapped tightly around one Ryouji Kaji.

Misato covered her face with her hand in exasperation. She had convinced Asuka to come on the promise of free five star cuisine, something she was looking forward to herself. Asuka had naturally asked Hikari to join them.

Both Touji and Kensuke had needed no inducement. Wherever Misato offered to take them, they'd follow implicitly, no questions asked.

Rei had simply had no excuse to refuse, although the thought of asking Shinji about her recent thoughts concerning him was her primary reason for attending.

And Ryouji was trying to act indifferent to the sight of numerous beautiful young women wandering around in various states of semi-undress as they prepared for their photo shoots. Something he was failing miserably at. Something that only further infuriated Asuka as she desperately vied for his full attention.

"Come on Asuka. Think of it as a follow up of the Synchronisation Training for the Seventh Angel." Misato had the sinking feeling that she was fighting a losing battle. The instincts that had her promoted to the post as Director of Tactical Operations were screaming this one simple fact at her.

Asuka pointed an accusatory finger at the Third Children. "That was bad enough. Find someone else to baby-sit the hentai. I'm not having him try to grope me in my sleep again. I absolutely refuse." To emphasise her refusal, she tightened her hold on Ryouji, eliciting a slight wince from the man.

Misato caught the glance the young red head sent in the direction of Ryouji, who was, in turn, grinning at the predicament that the Major now found herself with. <Not good. She'll refuse just on the principle of the thing because he's here. Dammit Kaji, why'd you have to show up?>

"Well I suppose I cou-" Misato's offer was interrupted by a soft, quiet voice from behind.

"I will perform the task Major Katsuragi." All eyes present, baring Touji and Kensuke as they struggled valiantly to impress any of the contestants, turned to stare at the young girl. Uncomfortable with the level of scrutiny that they were all directing at her, Rei managed to maintain her calm, stoic demeanour.

"Ayanami?" Shinji could barely conceal his surprise.

"Rei?" Misato's shock was similar. "Do you understand what we're discussing? What it would mean?" In Misato's opinion, Rei was the last possible candidate for this type of assignment.

"You have mentioned that Ikari-kun is in some form of peril." She moved to stand beside Shinji, who still hadn't regained his senses. "As a Pilot, his safety is a priority." <I have promised to protect him. I will not betray myself in this.> Rei considered her reasoning at offering her services. After observing Shinji's body language, the way he flinched whenever one of the young women brushed against him, something they were going out of their way to do, only served to confirm her course of action. The circumstances provided the perfect opportunity to further observe the Third Children. <It is acceptable that Pilot Sohryu refused the assignment.> While satisfied that the Second Children had vehemently refused her commanding officer's suggestion, it confused her. <Orders are absolute. They must be obeyed. Yet I am pleased by her insubordination.>

Still coming to terms with the First Children's voluntary offer, Misato began considering the implications. "I don't know Rei. I'm not your guardian. I can't just -"

"You are my commanding officer." Having established her objective, Rei was determined that nothing short of Commander Ikari's direct order would sway her.

"But Commander Ikari -"

"As long as NERV schedules are not interrupted, Commander Ikari will have no issue with the assignment. If you are in doubt, contact Headquarters to confirm this Major."

"I'll confirm it regardless." Seeing little use in continuing her argument with the Pilot of Unit 00, Misato called in to hear the Commander's decision.

***

Central Dogma - Evangelion Cages

"Ikari, you're going to allow this?" Kouzou found himself unable to mask his surprise.

"It will help resolve the issue of the emotional instability of the Dummy System." Gendou considered the possible ramifications of allowing Rei the freedom to associate to such a degree with the Third Children. "Regardless, it will be beneficial for the next phase." He knew it would complicate things if she adopted some of the boy's more unsatisfactory traits. But he had raised the girl to obey him in all things. <Rei will not forsake me, I am her creator.>

"The Compatibility Experiment?" They had previously discussed the possibility, not the implementation. "You intend to proceed with it?"

Noting his confidant's reluctance, he explained the necessity of the risk. "It is essential in verifying Rei's acceptance with Unit 01. Having her associate with the Third Children will assist in expediting things."

"Two thirds of our -" Kouzou found his argument cut short.

"Section 2 has operatives on site. In case of an emergency, they can extract the Pilots and have them delivered by VTOL." Pausing to regain his composure, Gendou turned to observe the maintenance technicians at work on the three EVA Unit's. "Besides, if I am correct, the next Messenger will herald the real beginning."

Recalling the recent report pertaining to the appearance of the Twelfth Messenger, Kouzou could only smile. "I know. It is not how SEELE have scripted things. What of the boy?"

"Results are all that ever matter. Chairman Keel will be satisfied as long as he believes his vision is still within his grasp." Gendou considered the razor's edge he was forced to walk. <Everything I have done. It is for you.> His eyes wandered over the imposing visage of Unit 01. "As for the boy. He is ultimately expendable. Unit 01 is far more important. If Rei is successful in attaining synchronisation, he will no longer be essential."

Noticing the expression on Gendou's face and the direction of his gaze, Kouzou considered the pivotal event that drove the man to commit atrocity after atrocity. "Once you remove all traces of you actions, you mean."

"Sensei, Keel understands that I'm attempting to subvert the Committee's ambitions. It's why Agent Kaji is amongst us. But he also realises that I am the only one willing to do all that is required to provide them with their opportunity." Having indulged his emotions for a brief moment, Gendou once again resumed his normal stance.

"Even if it meant abandoning the boy? You betrayed Yui-kun in that." Kouzou considered the strained relationship between father and son. Once Yui was lost to the Test Type EVA, the binding element between Gendou and Shinji had dissolved. <I cannot blame him. To have Yui-kun by my side I would have done the same.>

Grunting in amusement, Gendou slid his hands into his jacket pockets and began walking towards the nearest access hatch. "You underestimate her Sensei. Yui was a consummate professional willing to abandon herself to the project. As long as I can use the Third Children to further the scenario, to regain what was lost, I will."

"So the end justify the means." With Local Government meetings to attend, Kouzou began walking in the opposite direction, towards the Control Room. "And when you have finally broken him?"

"Useless things have no place here." Pausing to once again stare at the inactive form of Unit 01, he wondered, not for the first time, what Yui had experienced in allowing the fearsome beast to consume her.

***

Streets of Tokyo-3

Pedestrians watched with awe and trepidation as the all too familiar form of an infamous blue alpine sedan roared down the streets at reckless speeds, it's two occupants inside engaged in a discussion oblivious to the chaos the vehicles passage created.

"So we're just leaving them there?" Asuka was still coming to terms with the fact that they had left the 'Them' in question back at the hotel.

Misato smiled as she nodded her head in confirmation. "Yep."

Asuka glared at the jubilant woman, her eyebrow twitching in barely suppressed rage. "Alone? Together!"

"Yep." Her smile widened. <Shinji seemed a little better. Maybe he just needed someone he feels comfortable with. Although when did he become familiar with Rei?>

"And you're okay with this? What if that idiot tries something?" Remembering how the boy had admitted to almost kissing her in her sleep, Asuka was sure he would undoubtedly try something perverted on the doll. <And knowing her, she'll just let it happen.> The veins in her forehead throbbed as each imagined encounter grew increasingly erotic.

Misato's smile changed to a devious grin as she glanced at the visibly upset young girl in the passenger seat. "Asuka, if you're that worried you should have taken the offer to stay."

A multitude of expressions washed over Asuka's face as she stared incredulously at the woman. "As if I'd ……. What are you smiling about?"

"Nothing. Nothing at all." Misato continued to smile and began humming in tune with a song on the radio, only adding to Asuka's fury.

***

Tokyo-3 International Hotel

Having finished her vegetarian pasta, Rei placed her fork on the empty plate and looked thoughtfully at her dining partner. "Ikari-kun?"

Shinji blew gently over his steaming cup of green tea as he prepared to savour the slightly bitter beverage. <It was nice not having to cook and clean for once. Maybe this won't be so bad.> "Yes Ayanami." He was doing everything in his power to remain calm and composed.

"Why do the female patrons keep directing hostile glances towards me?" Rei was accustomed to people staring at her. Her appearance was far from ordinary. But the overt stares from the women at the adjoining tables were filled with malice and it was starting to disturb her.

Shinji massaged the nape of his neck. "Uhh… Well……It's got to do with the plan of Misato-san's." A red hue tinged his cheeks as he stuttered his reply.

Shinji's apparent embarrassment only further confused her. "The deception whereby I assume the appearance of your…..female companion?"

His weak smile did nothing to conceal his distress at the direction their conversation was taking. "Uhhm…Yeah. I guess."

Tilting her head slightly to one side, Rei blinked as she interrogated her memories. "I have no prior experience in such an endeavour. Major Katsuragi's explanation of how I should act was less than helpful." She stared at Shinji who in turn did his best to look anywhere else but at her. "How am I to perform in such a role?"

Shinji watched the slowly cooling surface of the green liquid as he considered her words. "I don't really know Ayanami. I've never had a girlfriend before." He mumbled. "I don't even know how a boyfriend is supposed to act."

"Girl…..friend?" The word even sounded strange to her. "I was made to understand that the relationship was of a level of intimacy that was beyond that of mere friendship." She had observed couples expressing their emotional attachment to their respective partners. It all seemed extremely convoluted. Considering that it was superfluous to her true purpose, she had given it no more than a cursory examination. <Commander Ikari has advised against becoming attached to anyone. Yet I find myself…..>

Shinji chuckled nervously at Rei's interesting observations. "That's just what it's called at our age. Boyfriend, Girlfriend. I guess it's a little misleading. I don't really know how…. "His voice choked slightly as he struggled with the next word."… intimate they're meant to be. I think it varies, depending on how long they've known each other and how they feel about one another."

"Our association spans many months. You have seen me naked and I you," Rei stated clinically. "and we have sought to protect one another." Satisfied with her conclusions, she asked something else that had been bothering her. "Why did Pilot Sohryu accuse you of assaulting her in her sleep?"

Startled by her statement and blunt question, Shinji struggled for an answer. "It ….. was kind of a misunderstanding. Asuka climbed into my futon one night." Shinji began to sweat profusely remembering the tantalising sight of her breasts and her bud-like lips. "Things just …..sort of….. I didn't really mean for it to happen like that. But Asuka…….Well Asuka over reacted…..sort of."

"Circumstances resulted in a situation beyond your control. Similar to when you delivered my NERV ID Card to my residence?" Nodding her head, Rei looked at her companion for him to clarify her deduction.

"Not quite." Shinji was quite sure even his hair blushed at her reference. "But I guess you can draw the parallels like that."

<There is much I must learn if I am to complete this assignment successfully. Perhaps then I will understand why Ikari-kun causes such unfamiliar reactions.> Excusing herself, Rei motioned for Shinji to join her. "Nishijima-san is expecting you Ikari-kun."

Three Hours Later

Shinji held his hand up to his mouth to stifle the yawn that threatened to escape. "I don't know about you Ayanami, but I'm exhausted." Glancing at the young girl, he noticed her nod her head slightly as she walked beside him. "I'm sorry that you had to go through with all this. You must be bored just watching everything." Occasionally he had caught glimpses of the girl, standing off to one side. He couldn't really tell if she was bored or completely disinterested in the goings on around her.

"It is most intriguing." Rei replayed the recent photo shoot in her mind "The contestants appeared to enjoy your presence. The interactions between the various people are difficult to comprehend." She added. "Perhaps it will assist me with certain problems I have encountered recently." Watching he contestants, dressed in various outfits, drape themselves over Shinji, dressed in his plug suit had unsettled her. She was determined to understand why.

<Problems?> Shinji had long considered Rei to be the last person to admit to having problems of any sort. <She always seems so focused, so dedicated.> "As long as you're getting something out of it Ayanami. I don't want you to put yourself out just on my behalf." He opened their door and allowed her to step across the threshold first. "You can have the bath Ayanami. I'll see what's on T.V." Shinji desperately needed any stimulus to take his thoughts off the fact he would be staying in a hotel room with a girl unsupervised.

Rei inclined her head in acceptance of his offer. As she entered further into the room she came to a sudden halt. <Curious.>

"Is there something……." Shinji could only stare at the object that now dominated his hotel room. When the manager had mentioned they were altering the room to accommodate the revised sleeping arrangements, he had simply thought they were going to add an extra single bed. Instead, dominating the room was a large double bed.

"Ikari-kun, which side of the bed do you prefer?"

***

End Third Refrain

Tbc

Authors Post-Rant -

Trials and tribulations. Just how will the First and Third Children handle the perils of sharing a bed with the First Children? Just how will everyone else react to such a scandalous event? When will the contestants make their move to isolate the judge from his 'girlfriend'?

In the next chapter obviously.

That's if the reading public (That's you!) haven't realised just how pathetic the story is. But a pathetic person pretending to be a pathetic fan fiction author can only produce substandard tripe. (I am working on the self-loathing, really, I am.)

Ja Ne