Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Comfort and Kindness ❯ To Act, or Die! ( Chapter 17 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc. are Property of ADVision, and Gainax I only wish they were mine. If you have not read this whole fic, I do state now this is a waffy fic, with a bit of action as well! Special thanks to Steve (Datexan) James for pre-reading this chapter! **Sorry for the long delay but I've had much happen this year, and my creative juices has gone to other stories. Thanks to those who stuck around for this Final ( YES , Final) chapter.
dennisud
Of Comfort and Kindness
' ' = Mental Conversation
( ) = Thoughts by characters
" " = Dialogue by characters
To Act, or Die!
The Morning dawn found two teenagers asleep in a foldout lawn chair. A sight breeze blew through the fifth floor balcony as both children unconsciously tightened their hold on each other. Then a silent alarm went off in each of their heads. But this was different from anything either one had felt before. They knew inside that this was the day humanity either lived or died. They silently awoke and for a scant few seconds held each other in a final warm hug. Then, seemingly communicating without words they both got up and headed inside the apartment, to wake the other occupants so all would head for the Geo-Front and their final destinies. But both hoped that they could put a wrench in SEELE"S and Gendo Ikari's scenarios. Both knew that this day could be their last.
Eight minutes later the four pilots were heading towards Nerv headquarters at a gut wrenching rate as Misato was driving the race of her life trying to get the children to Nerv ahead of the impending JDSSF attack.
Rei was sitting in Shinji's lap in the front seat, her arms wrapped around him tight enough to stay put but not so much as to cut off his breathing. Shinji for his part was simply trying to keep himself and Rei IN the seat as Misato was driving. He had one arm around her waist and the other gripping the door armrest so tightly as to leave a hand print where you could see the grooves of his fingers there.
Asuka looking from the back seat that she and Touji occupied saw her and her friend's predicament and let her guardian know what she thought in loud clear terms.
"Damn Misato, if I'm gonna die, I want to be in Unit-02, not wrapped around some light pole you might hit getting there!" Asuka yelled while holding on to Touji's arm with a vise grip.
Touji was of course suffering just as much as Asuka but with her grip it was more of a physical sort of suffering. "Asuka, willya loosen up on my arm!"
She didn't answer as she tightened the hold while giving the lanky boy a withering stare.
He them forcefully chuckled while keeping his grip on the door's handle. 'Kami I hope I have a working arm when I get there.' Was all Touji thought about as the Misato's Blue Fiat careened off a sidewalk as they turned into a Nerv car elevator.
After Misato slid into the car elevator the children relaxed a little as hugs for dear life were loosened and glares from four sets of eyes were directed to the lone driver of the vehicle. "Hey, I got you here in one piece be happy with that!" Misato said a bit derisively.
"Ya could have done it with out givin us whiplash!" Touji said rubbing the back of his strained neck muscles. A second later a pair of hands joined his as Asuka tried to lessen the pain in his neck with a short massage, her smile conveying her feelings for him and his discomfort. "Thanks, Darlin." He whispered as he leaned back and pecked her on the cheek, his way of conveying his feelings for her.
"Ok, enough complaining you guys. Just be ready to run to the elevator to get to your Evas, as I'll make my way to the command center.." Misato said as she took out and cocked her handgun. That alone conveyed the seriousness of their situation. This was the real thing the final gambit for all of them, and man as a whole. Shinji then quietly went over their plan as Misato kept at the ready for when they reached the exit from the car elevator.
Within five minutes they parted ways from Misato and the four children under a four person Section-2 security force headed for the Eva cages as they heard the first explosions of the invading Japanese Government Forces. About halfway there they met up with Vice-Commander Fuyutski
Shinji and Rei exchanged knowing looks as The Vice-Commander spoke:
"The first Child will come with me; the rest of the children will be directed to the Eva cages without fail." Asuka and Touji were about the protest until Shinji raised his hand and silenced them. He gave them a sympathetic look but his eyes conveyed a single message 'It's ok.' Both children seemed to understand as they stopped their protest before it began.
Then as the older man took a hold of Rei's arm Shinji did a very unusual thing; he took her face in both his hands and kissed her rather passionately and quickly. Then simply said, "I love you." She, after getting her breath smiled her normal subdued smile and mouthed back to him 'I love you too' as she headed with the Vice-Commander into another corridor, away from the remaining three pilots and their security contingent.
A few minutes later as they got to their respective changing rooms, the three were silent as they contemplated their roles in the upcoming battle. They knew that they would be able to crush the forces now invading Nerv, but they also knew they had to be able to fight and defeat the nine MP-Evas that were heading for them now. They also knew that the changing rooms were bugged and so as the pilots planned, they started with their scripted dialogue.
"Well Baka. Why did you let them take your precious Wondergirl" Asuka had to be convincing enough for the Section-2 techs to believe.
"I
I had no choice in the matter Asuka; I can't go against the Commanders order even though he is a bastard." Shinji said with a sneer. 'Heh, hope that get through to him. Shinji thought.'
"Hey Bud, why can't you stand up to you Father, I mean he took your girl away to do who knows what with, and we need all the help we can get"
Shinji dramatically put his hand on Touji's mouth and quietly whispered "Shut, Up! Do you want them to know SEELE's plan." just loud enough so that the listening devices couldn't pick it up.
Asuka then threw back the thick sheet between the girls and boys side of the locker room,
as the two boys talked. "What the hell are you two doing?"
Both boys look up with blushes then they ended up on the opposite ends of the room, both vehemently denying anything extraordinarily was happening.
Asuka harrumphed and said, "Ok lets go and kick some ass!" She grabbed both boys by the collars of their suits and made for the Eva cage entrance with their four Section-2 guards falling in silently behind them."

As they were heading to the cages Rei found herself standing on the edge of the moat full of LCL surrounding the body which at one time held part of her soul. She was in Terminal Dogma. The Vice-Commander had told her to remain and await the Commander's orders.
As she waited, Rei replayed in her mind the scenario carefully crafted by Yui Ikari whose soul was still trapped in Eva Unit-01, she then heard the tell-tailed sound of an elevator door opening.
She turned to see who was joining her and for a split second had a look of surprise, which was quickly overtaken by her emotionless mask as Commander Ikari and her sister Dr. Ritsuko Akagi exited the elevator that only four people had access to.
As the made their way to her she saw the gun now pointed directly to her sister's back and the look of emotionless calm in the Commander's eyes. It contrasted to the look on Ritsu's eyes, the look of someone lacking sleep, and weary of the emotional fight she was now in.
"Well, it seems we have a nice family reunion, don't we." Gendo Ikari said as he nudged the tired Akagi towards a still quiet, but internally seething Rei.
"Why is Dr. Akagi here Commander?"
"To ensure your cooperation Rei." He gave the First Child a cold and calculating look. "I couldn't let my scenario deviate so much as to have it fail."
Then Rei knew that either the Commander had uncovered their deception, or that he was simply trying to make sure of her loyalty to him. She knew how far she would go, but now he had her sister there to pull more leverage his way 'This was not anticipated' she thought. She then reached out and seemingly from thin air she conveyed her situation mentally to Shinji who by now well versed in the use of his S2 organ was in his Eva as was Asuka and Touji prepping for launch
'Oh no, father what are you pulling now!' Shinji mentally yelled, he felt a mental wince from Rei. Shinji offered an apology to her, then came to a decision. The Third Child opened a private video link to Asuka and Touji and quickly informed them of the situation in Terminal Dogma, he then told them of what he was going to do. They at first were not happy, pissed off was more like it and they made sure Shinji knew it. But after a few more words they understood the danger that Rei and Ritsuko were now in. So they agreed with what he planned to do and then closed their video links and continued their launch procedures. Both, saying a silent prayer for themselves and for those in Terminal Dogma.
Misato then gave the order, "Launch!"
Two of the three Evas did just that as Units 02 and 03 were on the surface, then realization hit 'why didn't Unit-01 launch?'
"Maya, Why didn't Unit-01 launch?" Said a now aggravated Misato.
"Unit-01 didn't launch because it is headed
for Terminal Dogma!" Maya said in surprise!
"Check it; is it blood type code blue?" Misato fearing it may have become an angel. She didn't want to think that her Shinji would have to face the others as an angel.
"No, Blood type red, but it's cut off all communications and we can't shut it down remotely Makoto added," I think it's gone rogue." as all eyes then turned to the wizened chiseled features of the Vice-Commander.
" Major, keep an eye on Unit-01 and continue the battle with Units 02 & 03"
"But, Vice-Commander, why would Unit-01 go off on its own, against orders, and especially to Terminal Dogma?" Misato was quite perplexed while also trying to direct the other two Evas in their battle with the JDSSF forces.
"It probably senses a threat there, so it's acting on it's own to neutralize it." Was his astute and knowing reply.
On a hunch Misato orders Aoba to check who exactly is in Terminal Dogma, as after the battle with the Seventeenth angel, their sensor array was now rebuilt and available.
After few seconds Aoba reports back," Commander Ikari, Doctor Akagi and Pilot Ayanami?" He looks at her questioningly as she responds with hitting a button to get a visual of Terminal Dogma on one of the floating monitors.
There for the whole Command center to see was The Commander clearly holding a gun to Dr. Akagi's back, while talking, more like lecturing a quiet motionless Rei.
"Raise the audio, now!" Misato yelled while still coordinating the Evas above as they took care of the now retreating and defeated JDSSF forces. As the audio came up they caught the Commander speaking.
"You know the scenario cannot be stretched much more Rei." She simply nodded as an answer. "Then you know you are here to affect the Instrumentality of Man." A gasp was heard in the Command Center as all knew what that meant. They were in a no win situation, if the forces invading them wouldn't kill them all then their erstwhile Commander had now admitted he was trying to do the same thing.
Then with a sinister look Gendo continued, "You must obey me Rei, and the good Doctor is here to guarantee that."
The Azure haired girl looked intently at her mentor, her Guardian
her maker, and with a straight monotone voce she answered him.
"I will not."
"WWWWHHHHAAAAT?" Was the roaring reply of Commander Ikari echoing throughout the cavernous walls of Terminal Dogma as a now seething Commander gripped the gun in his had pointing it directly to the back of the head of a now highly awake and startled Ritsuko Akagi. Then he seemed to visibly calm down as a smirk slowly developed on his face.
"I think I have something to change your mind, Rei, a piece of information that should allow all of the scenario to be completed." Gendo smiled wickedly.
"I cannot think of anything that would change my mind Commander" Rei answered
"I know of your feelings of the Third Child, and of Dr. Akagi here. You can admit that you care for them, Rei?" The Commander asked with a gleam in his eye.
Within seemingly seconds Rei responded in kind. "Yes, I do," still using her emotionless mask.
"Then you will have to make a decision Rei." he answered. Rei looked questioningly as she waited for the Commander to continue. Who do you care for more, You boyfriend and love, or your sister oh I'm sorry Rei, she's not your sister."
"What?" Rei was confused, she had irrefutable evidence that Ritsuko Akagi was in fact her sister. "Please clarify that Commander." Rei asked now with a slight hesitation in her voice.
"I have the pleasure to inform you that Ritsuko Akagi is not your sister
but your Mother!"
A stunned look was seen in not only Rei's face, but also Ritsuko, as well as those in Central Command. All of them then looked at the Commander who now had a genuine smile on his face. He then reached carefully into his pocket wearily as he knew Rei could use her AT-Field to squash him flat, and took out a folded piece of paper. Then he handed it to a still stunned Ritsuko whom he ordered to read it.
As she read it her voice cracked several times with emotional sobs. "Upon further DNA cross referencing and matching, there is a 99.9% match between the subject Rei Ayanami, and Ritsuko Akagi and of subject R. Akagi of being her natural mother. Subject N. Akagi is a 99.2% match and is confirmed as a likely grandparent of subject R. Ayanami" With tears flowing down her face she first looked at a equally speechless Rei, then simply turned back to the Commander and asked, "How ...Why?"
With a confident gleam in his eye Gendo continued. "Your mother knew we needed many human ova's that were pure and untouched by age or the after affects of Second Impact, and you conveniently had that skiing accident at that Swiss academy right at the same time Yui had her accident." He pauses as Ritsu seemed to register the incident mentally. "You do remember Doctor, the time you were in a coma and later found out during your treatment that you had only one ovary. Well you did have two before that accident."
Various emotions were plainly scene by those observing on Ritsuko Akagi. Anger, hatred, sadness, guilt, and then utter despair. She then looked up at her former lover; the man who had taken her mother before her yet still is trying to manipulate her still, till the end. And now he was doing it again
to her and Rei.
"You Bastard!" Ritsuko yelled as all could see the intensity in her features.
"You used my mother, you used me, now you used my daughter for your obsession!" She looked at her daughter now through tear filled eyes "I'm so sorry Rei I didn't know." They looked at each other in a new a more loving way, finally understanding the magnitude of the facts Gendo Ikari had given them. Yet as they came closer to each other, a smirking Commander, still kept his gun within inches of Ritsuko head.
"Nor did I mother." She was now seen face on with two tears running down her pale face.
"Well, now that we know all the facts, Rei, it is time!" Gendo waved Ritsuko to step away from Rei; she refused and tried to come between him and Rei.
"You aren't touching her, you bastard!" her mind made up. She was going to protect her child no matter what.
"Rei, tell her to move or I will shoot her. You do want you mother to live, don't you?"
Gendo reverted back to his intimidating stare.
"Mother, please move." Rei said as she tried to walk around her mother who was trying to shield her from The Commander's gun.
But Rei, He'll he'll " Ritsuko said as she was now hugging Rei
"I know" she whispered. "But I have one more 'Ace up my sleeve' as Misato would put it." Ritsuko then looked into her eyes and then understood and nodded, stepping away from her daughter
"Now, Rei, strip off your clothes and come here."
Another gasp was heard now by Maya as the rest were too involved in telemetry for the two Evas on the surface who now faced nine gliding and sickly grinning white Evas. All the while Unit-01 was making its way to Terminal Dogma. With a renewed sense of determination and a pilot with his own AT-Field starting to register within his Eva.

As Rei was disrobing, a huge smashing sound echoed in Terminal Dogma as the three occupants and the lone hanging and seemingly lifeless second angel there turned to face the menacing face of the purple behemoth known as Evangelion Unit-01. It was climbing through the remnants of the massive doors that used to keep the world out of Terminal Dogma. In the Eva's entry plug, Shinji, his anger was now incensed to what he saw and heard through Rei's eyes via his mental link with her, So he decided to do something!
Then the impossible happened, Shinji seemingly floated through Unit-01's entry plug and chest armor headed for his father and his two hostages.
"Father, step away from Rei and Ritsuko and lay your gun down now!" Shinji said as he finally alighted down on the huge rooms' floor.
"And why should I do that Third Child?" Gendo answered in a condescending manner. Still holding his gun mere centimeters from the head of his loves Mother.
Shinji smiled as he answered. "Because My mother will never forgive you for what you have done, or what you are trying to do now." He then smiled knowing he was getting to his old man. "She knows how you used Naoko, Ritsuko, who and what Rei is, and my feelings toward her, and how you have used this whole worlds people through your manipulations and deceit, just to reunite with her."
A now confused Gendo responds. "How
how can you ever know what you mother feels?" The Commander angrily answered slowly slipping the protective glove off his other hand.
"Because you know as well as I that, exactly who is IN my Eva!" He then closes his eyes and lifts his hands to the now crouching Eva, and small streams of light extend out from the Third Child's palm, towards the purple Eva. Then, slowly a glob of light came out of the Eva's chest and slowly a human like form appeared. Then it appeared to speak but it seemed that only one person was hearing what she spoke was Gendo Ikari
For the next few seconds there was no reaction from the Commander of Nerv. Then it seemed that all the blood had drained from his face. Gendo looked down and let go of Rei's arm that he had taken when Unit-01 had broken into Terminal Dogma. He then looked at Rei, then turned to view the hanging crucified second angel. Then a moment later a gun clambered as it met the concrete floor.
"No no I can't believe that. I can't. Yui wouldn't say that."
Then within seconds, Ritsuko picked up the gun and fired!
After the report of gunfire died down, there sat Gendo Ikari, holding a bloodied arm, and missing part of his hand. Behind him the remnants of the first angel began evaporating off the floor.
<< The order of events here needs to be looked at, as he knelt, extended his hand and Rei turned away from him? >>
After a few moments Rei walked to her love and said," Shinji, get me to my Eva, Asuka and Touji will need our help." Shinji answered positively, and had the Eva kneels down, and extended the Mecha's hand, which he stepped onto to await Rei. She turned to her mother and gave her a warm and loving hug. Ritsuko reciprocated and told her, "Come back alive, I want to see my child grow up and be here so I can be a mother your mother." Rei nodded and smiled at Ritsu as she hugged her one more time, then made her way to Shinji. They floated up and phased into Unit-01's chest.
Within a few minutes and some nifty ret-tracking by the Command staff, Shinji and Rei finally made it to a newly refurbished 'original' Unit-00 in its orange and white armor. A Pistron gun already in its arms.
"Well Rei, ready to end this?" Shinji said after he had deposited her in Unit-00's Entry plug door.
"I am ready, Shinji, to finish this, and move on with our lives." She smiled her small but now bright smile on the video link at him through the LCL.
"Then together we fight, my love." And Unit-01's hand took Unit-00's and they went to the nearest catapult as within a few seconds they joined their friends in the final battle for Humanity
Soul of the Beast
As Shinji and Rei clear their respective exits to the desolation that used to be Tokyo-3, they see two groups of white Vulture like Evas battling a red and black Evas they knew were Units 02 and 03. Silently, with an unsaid signal Rei sprints towards the group fighting Touji, while Shinji races almost at supersonic speed toward Asuka, who was at that moment being impaled by the transformed lance one of the four white E vas. Without warning, Shinji launched a drop kick on two of the Evas shooting them a few hundred meters up and then unceremoniously down to the had surface.
He then grabbed on of the white monster's weapons and used it on the nearest standing Eva, then he extended his and the Evas' AT-Field allowed the lance to go through it like a hot knife through butter. Reaching the core and the first white-crossed explosion was seen and felt by all of those there witnessing the mammoth battle.
While Shinji went after the second Eva who was fighting Asuka, Rei had used the Pistron gun and a little AT-Field magic of her own to fire at the Evas fighting Touji. She actually sent a piece of her AT-Field with each shot effectively rendering the MP-Evas AT-Field null and void. The subsequent damage meant that the shot she sent out went right through the midsection of one of the white MP-Evas and took out the entry plug as well. Silencing the second of SEELE's Evas.
As the battle resumed it was a seven to four ratio, but with Rei sniping at the edge of the city it was up to Touji, Asuka and Shinji to handle hand to hand combat with the remaining White Evas.
But, one split off from the two groups and with a now transformed Lance in the hands of the white giant it headed for the now prone Unit-00 . Suddenly , another lance shot through the white Eva length-wise where it nicked the core . I t flew up and cut the main part of the white Eva's mid-body. The cut went up from the crotch to head with the point exiting the top of the monstrous head. Due to this splitting of the body, Rei Simply moved the Pistron rifle and shot point blank at the now exposed core of the MP-Eva that was barely standing there in front of her position!
Within the next five minutes the final count of cross-explosions reach seven and then all four of the Nerv Evas met just at the rim of the hole made when the JDSSF attacked and blew down the remnants of Tokyo-3 into the Geo-Front. All looked down, and seemed to have sighed a breath of relief.
They had won, and humanity was left to evolve in it's own way on it's own time!
Aftermath
Within the next two months, a court of inquiry was held in Tokyo-2, Geneva, and New-Chicago to deal with the remnants of Nerv and SEELE.
A series of leaks to the media (Later shown to be from one now un-deceased Ryouji Kaji) opened up the guts of the organization known as SEELE to the world, and the plans they had to raise man to a higher level of being without humanity's say so.
The world condemned not only the shortsightedness of trying to evolve man, but the methods used by the group in achieving their goals.
It didn't take too long for the members to be apprehended. Many underlings didn't want to face a firing squad, as most became disenchanted by the results. That was shown to all the world through testimony of various people, including Doctor's Akagi, and Fuyutski of what was to happen had Instrumentality succeeded. Many of those testified against SEELE.
As for those who worked for Nerv, the pilots, tech.s and other staff, most were investigated and exonerated of wrongdoing, though Dr. Akagi and Dr. Fuyutski did serve six-month sentences. But the members of SEELE, and The Nerv base Commanders including. SEELE chairman Keel Lorenz and three other SEELE members were executed while Nerv Supreme Commander Gendo Ikari and the rest were given life sentences.
As for the Bridge Bunnies Major Katsuragi, and the Pilots.
Epilogue: Seven years later,
Tokyo-2 University Graduation Ceremonies
A huge crowd gathered at the school stadium to welcome the new graduates from Tokyo-2 University. The class Valedictorian, Rei Ikari was then introduced by the Class President, Hikari Aida. Their respective families and friends were there as they saw Hikari, Touji, and Shinji graduate with Bachelor's degrees while Rei and Asuka added Masters Degrees to their previous achievements. And achievements they were, given that both girls each had two children through their college years.
After the graduation they all headed to Misato and Kaji's beach house just outside Tokyo-2 near the revitalized seashore.
As the party was going inside Rei and Shinji wandered outside and sat down on a beach towel, as Shinji situated Rei between his legs and wrapped a blanket around his wife and himself. They heard their friends inside. Within a few minutes they heard Asuka and Touji in another of their "verbal discussions" as Hikari and Kensuke were also heard trying to calm both of the Suzahara's down. They both wondered how those two could have had such calm and well behaved children as little Girta and Yousho, polar opposites of their parents. But both Shinji and Rei are happy that their children are best friends with Asuka and Touji's.
Both think of what could be and what has been.
As they gazed out at slowly darkening sea, they started talking.
"Are you happy Rei?"
"I am." She said quietly
"Why?" He looks down at her calm stoic face.
"Because I was given a second chance at life." She looked at him with a small smile that he knew conveyed much more.
"I have you, the love of my life. I have a mother who sacrificed a career and even imprisonment for me. Yet she has become a mother to me in name and in deed"
She snuggles closer to her husband.
"Are there any other reasons?" Shinji asked smiling at her cuddling.
"Our children, Koaru, and Yui are my heart and my soul, and I would live through one hundred battles of Tokyo-3's for them and for you, my Shinji."
She then turned her head and gave him a passionate and soulful kiss.
After they stopped kissing he simply said, "Now I know why I love you, my wife and my love, my life." They kissed again, and for a brief time an orange hew surrounded them seemingly two waves intermingling together, a symbolic oneness of the two's souls and AT-Fields.
They then sat in silence watching the night claim the last few strands of daylight happy in each others arms still snuggling in the blanket, knowing that the future was open to them and their children for now the Third age of man can truly begin.
End!

Notes: Hey all Again I am sorry for the huge delay and for those who either read this now or in a few years, I hope you enjoyed reading this little story as much as I enjoyed writing it. I now plan to work on my Tenchi Muyo Stories and will continue a few more Evangelion based ones. Thanks for all the Fish as Douglas Adams said and I hope you as always, Keep on Reading!
dennisud