Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Comfort and Kindness ❯ Finality ( Chapter 16 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimers:

Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc. are

Property of ADVision, and Gainax I only *wish* they were mine.

If you have not read this whole fic, I do state now this is a waffy fic, with a bit of action as well!

Special thanks to Steve (Datexan) James for pre-reading this chapter!

**Sorry for the long delay but I've had much happen this year, and my creative juices has gone to other stories. But, I promise that I will finish this soon! Thanks to those who stuck around for the end.

dennisud

Of Comfort and Kindness

` ` = Mental Conversation

( ) = Thoughts by characters

" " = Dialogue by characters

*An Apology *:

To all those who have liked this story of mine, I humbly apologize to you for the huge amount of time it took me to finish this final chapter to this story. I have been having a tremendous writer's block on how to end this story with the same quality and hopefully entertaining plot it has had since the beginning. I had intended this to be a 4 to 6 chapter story, but it flew and did so well until I hit that mental wall with of all things the ending.

Well I hope this will satisfy you all and gives me a breather so I can then move on to other stories. As always I do offer anyone to take any of my stories and do a sequel, side story, or even a rewrite as long as you e-mail me and get my ok, which will most likely be 99% positive!

Well let me get to the conclusion of this story and please look forward to my future Tenchi Muyo, Ranma, and Inu-Yasha stories! Nuff said (Finally!) dennisud

Chapter #16 Finality

Interrogation

Ritsu awoke from a dreamless sleep with a start. As she tried to figure out what had woken her up, she stared blankly as she found herself in a large darkened room and then felt a draft as she looked down, She eeped as she found herself on a cold, hard floor naked!

As her thought processes still groggy from the now obviously forced sleep she endured.

As she tried to fathom this, a booming and accented voice cut through the darkness as a large black glossy stone tablet appeared in front of her with an 01 on it's surface.

"Ah, Dr. Akagi, I see you're awake!" it said with a slight hint at sarcasm.

She shook her head as if to clear those final mental cobwebs and focused on the object that had clearly spoken to her. "Well, … where am I and who are…"

Another stone slab with an 05 appeared to her right and said, " Stand up and be ready to answer our questions, … without hesitation!" That voice was also accented but obviously different than the first yet it wasn't as patient as the first simply implied by its volume and intonation. As she was processing this she realized now where she was.

Then it hit her; the tablets seemed to hover about 3 feet off the ground. Then the numbers clinched it. She stood up and tried to straighten a non-existent lab coat as her touch of her bare skin made her remember her unclothed state. She sighed. "What do you want to know?" she retorted in almost a monotone voice at the now 12 visible monoliths. She remembered they were called that from one of her "discussions " she had with Gendo Ikari. 'That bastard, he must have drugged me to get me here.' She mentally sighed at her ineptitude.

"We want to know the status of the children, the Evas, and we also want to know of Ikari's goals and plans." Monolith 03 spoke in Japanese, with an American accent.

She looked at the hanging holograms, as she now knew she was in Nerv's Geo-Front. Probably drugged by Gendo Ikari. How did he do that? Oh well, the night started a whole lot better than where she found herself now.

{Flashback!}

She had dinner with the Commander earlier that night, mainly to brake off their now soured personal relationship. Then, she remembered she had taken a bathroom break after the main course.

'That bastard, he must have slipped a time delayed sleeping pill while I was in the can.' She seethed inwardly. Another one of the monoliths, who asked the same questions as SEELE-03 had asked a few moments before, startled her.

"I can say that other than the comatose state of The Third Child, the other three Eva pilots are fine and active. " (Ritsu knew what Shinji's situation was as Rei confided in her as to what took place in Terminal Dogma between Kaworu and Shinji.)

"Will the Third Child's inactive state negate the use of Unit-01 at this time." SEELE-01 asked in a verbose tone.

Dr. Akagi looked at that monolith with a thoughtful look. "Unit-01 accepts only the Third Child to pilot, so …yes Unit-01 cannot be used at this time." She sighed not knowing if that would help or hurt her plans.

The potential of Unit-01 was well known to the members of SEELE. They also knew that Unit-01 had to be active in order for their scenario to come to fruition.

"Do all you can to revive the Third Child, and keep us informed of any changes that occur." SEELE-02 added.

"Well, if I am finished being questioned, can I have my clothes back and get on with my duties, or are you perverts not finish goggling my body?" a now agitated Ritsuko Akagi said clearly and quite sarcastically.

Before any of the others reacted to Ritsu's insinuation SEELE-01 calmly answered.

"That is all for now, Dr. Akagi. But be warned that you may be questioned again. You may leave now, through that door, you will find your belongings there." And with that the holographic monoliths disappeared in sequential order

.

Ritsu then made her way to the door of the now empty room, her bare feet slapping the cold floor as she went. She looked around and saw the holographic emitters and smiled. 'I hope they bought all that.' Then she frowned and thought of Shinji Ikari, Her sister's love and Ritsuko now felt her friend, 'Shinji, I hope you wake up soon, cause we are going to need all the help we can get!' Then with that final thought she opened the door and set about getting dressed, wondering who had taken her clothes off in the first place. 'Probably Gendo, that sick jerk!'

Awakening

Rei Ayanami had been sitting in the exact same place for three straight days waiting, hoping, and worrying in her own way. All of those feelings she felt she didn't allow anyone to see. To those who saw Rei, she seemed her emotionless self, seemingly fulfilling her duty to look after Shinji, and except for Ritsuko, Asuka, and Touji, all accepted this.

But, on the inside all those emotions were raging an internal war which she had a hard time understanding. Plus, of the only two people whom she could confide in, one was laying next to her, comatose, while the other was working her back in the Geo-Front on her own plan to stop Rei's final burden, and final fate.

She was deep into this line of thought, contemplating her problems when an alarm went off. One of the monitors connected to Shinji was beeping madly, before she could do anything, she was quickly escorted out as almost a dozen people, some with various equipment, rushed into Shinji's room and seemed to be nervous about what was happening. Rei stood there opposite the door slowly witnessing the cascade of people rushing in and out like a frenzied ballet. This went on for about five minutes as Rei herd the distinct sound of a defibrillator being used not once but several times with a good 15 to 20 seconds between each sound of Electricity traveling through a body to revive it.. This shook even her resolve as she started shaking then Misato appeared and rushed out of an elevator followed by Touji and Asuka whom had gone home with her earlier to rest. Someone obviously had called her and the trio rushed at breakneck speed to the Infirmary.

The trio then saw Rei, and even though she felt she wasn't showing her emotions to them, her emotionless mask, was on over a visibly shaking body told them otherwise.

Misato then approached the First Child.

"Rei, Can you tell me what happened?" Rei looked at Misato and calmly told her what she had observed from the initial alarm of Shinji's monitor, to his current state now.

All the while her hands involuntarily still shaking by her sides.

"So, you don't know what Shinji's monitor was beeping for, right?" Misato then waited for Rei to respond.

But, before Rei could speak many of those who had been in Shinji's room filed out with uncertain expressions on their faces. Asuka, seeing this grabbed one of the nurses and simply asked, "What happened to Shinji? Is he all right?" Asuka was now holding the nurse by the collar. The male nurse had a fearful look in his eyes as the fiery German Pilots eyes showed anger and fear at the same time. Wisely he answered quickly.

"Pilot Ikari had a seizure and seemed to have, …died!"

All four looked like their spirits had left them just then. Asuka head sank to her chest with tears starting to run down her now shocked face. While Rei slowly sank to the floor with her back to the wall of the hallway a single tear made it's way out of her right eye. Misato had her hand covering her mouth trying to stifle an apparent scream of surprise and agony, and Touji simply stood there stone still as if he was a statue.

The nurse though hadn't noticed the group's reaction and continued his explanation. "Even after several shocks from the defibrillator didn't bring him back and for three minutes there was no heartbeat, then…" The nurse was assaulted by all four yelling in unison, (Rei in a normal tone, as she never yells, … unless she was in pain!)

"THEN WHAT?"

"His, … his heart just started up and was beating in a normal rate. He's resting now." Said the now shaking nurse, a hand on his chest trying to calm himself down from the loud retort of the four people around him..

All four seemed to let out a sigh of relief as Rei slowly got up, made her way to the nurse and asked in her own quiet way,

"Then is he allowed to have visitors?"

"Right now, no." He held up his hand stopping any protest from starting.

"But if I can clear it with the doctors, I don't see why you can't. But it will be at least an hour until we are sure he's stabilized and won't have another episode.

He then dipped his head and then made his way back into the room.

After approximately 65 more minutes, the male nurse they had spoken to earlier made his way out of Shinji's room and motioned the four expectant people to listen.

"Just be quiet and don't wake him up. He might wake on his own, or sleep till tomorrow. So don't expect anything right away, right?"

All four nodded to the nurse. After a few more minutes were taken to clear the emergency equipment, they all made their way into Shinji's room.

The four people closest to Shinji stood together for a few moments surveying the now empty room. Rei automatically took her previous seat next to Shinji and gently took his left had in both of hers. Then, Misato took the other seat opposite to Rei taking hold of his right hand, while Asuka and Touji now holding hands stood at the foot of the bed, and observed Shinji from there.

There was a relative silence as all looked at him while they thought of all the adventures they had gone through. It was obvious to them all that whatever had happened to him had to do with the S2 organ implanted into Shinji by Kaworu, the last angel three days before.

Asuka and Touji had informed Misato of this earlier, so she was as anxious as they were for Shinji to awaken. It was a few more minutes of silence and contemplation that followed

Then the silence was broken by a sharp intake of breath as one Shinji Ikari sat up quickly in his bed. As all in the room looked at him, for a few brief moments a bluish glow surrounded him, as his eyes now open seemed to be shining, then it disappeared as quickly as it came.

It took a few seconds for all of them to adjust to this. Then Shinji looked around the room and saw Rei. All of the memories of them being together from that ghostly first image on the street to their fights with the angels, to seeing her in Terminal Dogma came flooding in. Then, without a word, Shinji and Rei embraced both silently crying in each other's arms. The love that flowed between the young couple was obvious to all there. They were joined a few seconds later by a blubbering Misato, which dulled their mood a bit.

"Oh Shinji, we were soooo worried!" Misato repeated over, and over as her vice grip had taken much of the pair's breath away.

M, M, Misato, C-c-c-can't breath!" Was all Shinji got out while waving his arms desperately, Rei simply held her breath as this was going on and waited stoically all the while keeping her arms around a now light-headed Shinji.

"Misato, Let go of them! Can't you see they can't breath!" Asuka shouted doubtfully which finally got the Major's attention, and she nervously let go of the two pilots.

"Huh? Oh, I'm so sorry guys, I'm just so happy your back with us Shinji."

Misato smiled and laughed happily though she still was crying.

"Is she like this when situations of this nature occur?" Rei asked Shinji while being held by Misato in one of her patented hugs..

"Y-yeah, she wouldn't be Misato otherwise!" Shinji grimaced and smiled at his Guardians' antics while Rei quietly watched and sighed. She also saw the incredulous look Asuka gave Misato, while Touji stood there open-mouthed. Then he looked at Shinji and Rei. 'Seems like they know as well.'

Final Dawn

As the four pilots and Misato made their way out of Nerv's Infirmary two days later, Shinji was quiet and smiling as he was being led out with Rei's and his arms firmly wrapped around their waists.

Asuka and Touji next to them were also arm in arm arguing as to where they would have their victory dinner Misato had promised them after they had won their fight with the seventeenth angel.

"Hey who says Kino's Sushi Stand is a restaurant, Dumbkoff. I know for a fact that Ravelli's Italian restaurant IS a real restaurant with seats and an actual building you know And you aren't in danger of being drowned by a passing car during a rain storm!" Asuka was poking her finger on Touji's chest after every other word she said. She then harrumphed!

Touji was just as boisterous as his girlfriend was. "Asuka, my little Demon, I have a hankering for fish, NOT Veal Parmagian, so unless you can find a better place, Kino's is where- we- should- go!" Touji face was inches from hers in smiling in defiance as both seemed to be squeezing each other a bit harder and more painfully as they spoke.

"Ah, …Guy's, why don't we go to Keiichi's Japanese Café', then we can have some sushi, and some noodles as well!" Shinji suggested hesitantly.

"WHO ASKED YOU!" said the loud twinned response from both irate Eva pilots!

"Hey, hey, I'm paying for this dinner so I will make that decision of WHERE we eat, got it!" Misato glared at the now quiet couple as they both noticed the handle of Misato's gun menacingly poking out from her Nerv Jacket.

Rei then asked Shinji, "Does the Major normally use her gun as a way to settle disputes, Shinji-kun?"

Shinji simply replied, "Ahhh, … No, not normally!" Shinji then sees Misato who is staring at them now. He smiles and waves nervously at his guardian until she turns her gaze back to Touji and Asuka.

"Is that why Pilots Souryu and Suzahara became quiet at that time?"

"Yes, Rei, as Misato can be (he gulped audibly)… unpredictable at times."

Shinji continued to smile nervously then squeezed Rei with his arm around her. She simply nodded as they followed their trio of friends out to eat. Misato sighed loudly and gave a final stern look to Asuka and Touji before they all got into her car.

A few hours later, Misato brought the now stuffed pilots home, but left them there as she had to go back to finished the damage reports from the last angel attack. They knew she wanted to stay, but her responsibilities took her away from them. She promised to be home as quickly as possible though.

They children then went to bed hoping to garner some sleep, but even with each of them in their love's arms one of them couldn't sleep.

After a few minutes Shinji found himself on the apartment's balcony looking out over the semi-devastated city of Tokyo-3. 'It seems I haven't kept my promise to safeguard this city.' Shinji inwardly said.

He surveyed the part of the city that stood in front of him. It seemed so surreal as exactly half of the city he viewed from the apartment was right next to the other half, which was flat, with either small lakes made from the previous angel battles, or strewn with rubble and dirt piles. He heavily sighed then felt a warm lithe hand on his shoulder.

He turned to see a beautiful light hued face of his love Rei Ayanami, a small but clear smile on her face.

"You shouldn't worry about the state of Tokyo-3." She told the depressed boy. "Humanity has proven so many times before that through conflict, destruction, and despair they always rebuild and move on to survive and thrive." She then wrapped both her arms around his as it rested on the balcony's edge.

'Rei seems to always know what to say and do.' Shinji thought as they both leaned into each other while both reflected on what was left of the once great city.

They both also recognized that they seemed to know how the other felt.

"Rei, I … I could feel you coming before I actually felt you hands on my arm. I also felt that you could read my thoughts." Hesitantly he continued. "Do you know why I can sense this?" He looked at her confused and a bit scared at what it might be.

Rei looked down briefly in thought, then faced Shinji and answered "I would surmise that due to both of us having an S2 organ within our bodies, we can Feel each others thoughts, and so logically we have some sort of a symbiotic connection as well."

She then thought the rest in her mind, which Shinji seemed to understand.

'We are both now capable of many of the powers and senses that the angels had. We are for all practical purposes, angels ourselves.' This brought a dreaded look on Shinji's face. Rei quickly added; 'But before you become apprehensive and scared, Commander Ikari and my sister have stated to me that there are no more "Angels". So, we should simply see this as another opportunity to safeguard Humanity. Let us see what occurs and act to help humanity when the time comes.' There was a moment of silence as Rei waited for Shinji to answer

Shinji was taking all this rather well at least for him, as he sat down in one of the plastic deck chairs on the balcony, with Rei still holding his hand for support.

'But, Rei what of my mother's plans? Won't us both having S2 organs mess that up?'

'If my sister's preparations come to pass, I don't think it would. But we must prepare in case it does.' And for the next thirty minutes Rei and Shinji held a silent mental conversation while in the building opposite their apartment, Section-2 agents filmed and recorded the movements and then forward that to Commander Ikari.

A few minutes later In Commander Ikari's office:

"Mmmm, interesting. Thank you Captain Takeshi, that is all." The black suited agent then bowed and left the Commander's office.

"Do you think that Shinji and Rei suspect your plans, Ikari?" Sub-Commander Fuyutski asked his superior.

"If they know or not isn't a factor in my scenario. Both will play their roles" Then he looked at his friend and added rather coldly;

"SEELE'S attack is tomorrow, make sure Rei is separated from The Third Child, and that she is directed to Terminal Dogma. Understood, Sub-Commander?"

The older man simply sighed and nodded his head. "I hope you know what your doing, Ikari, and I hope "she" will forgive you." Fuyutski then turned and walked to a hidden exit leaving the Commander to ponder tomorrows events.

"Only one more day, and I will be with you my love." Then Commander Gendo Ikari made his way to the hidden elevator that would deliver him to Terminal Dogma and his destiny.

Chapter 17: To act, …or die!

JDSSF attacks, and SEELE's 9 MP-Evas are coming!

Who lives, who dies, and who turns to LCL!

Final chapter of the saga (I promise!)