Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Comfort and Kindness ❯ Catharsis of the Soul ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc. are
Property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine.
Please try to be good to me; this is my first stab at an Evangelion "Only" Fic.
If you have read this whole fic, I do state now this is a Waffy fic, with a bit of action as well!
Thanks to Andre Laval for pre reading this chapter!

Comfort and Kindness

( ) = Thoughts by characters

The girls face their individual hell on earth, while Shinji freshly back from the dead,
has to deal with ... the consequences.
Chapter # 10: Catharsis of the Soul

After the social shocking events of the end of the lunch period,
the three pilots headed for their afternoon sync test at Nerv HQ.

Asuka and Touji were now acknowledging to their known world their new relationship by walking arm-in-arm,
while Rei trailed the two love struck but still arguing pilots.

"Now, how was I supposed to know that Isumi had a crush on me?"

"Well you should have! Her, and worse of all Hikari were heart broken!"
(Asuka sighed as she remembered her friend running out of the school,
...with a concerned Kensuke following?)

"Hey, why was that other stooge running after Hikari?"

"I ... asked him to keep an eye on her. I was going to tell her ..... that ..."

"That what Touji?" asked a now concerned Asuka

"That ...I just liked her as ...like a little sister. You know what I mean, right?"
He held the back of his head as he said that. Then a slap connected with that head.

"Ouch!! What ya do that for Asuka?"

"Because that is the worse thing you could have said to someone who loves you, you dumkoph!"

She then ran from him and Rei towards the Nerv entrance.

"What did I say now, damn it!" He looked at Rei with a questioning look.

"It seems you should have thought of the consequences of your answer before you verbalized it,"
was all Rei said before she left a staggering Touji to reason it out for himself as he then ran after the girls.

As the pilots all gathered for the briefing before the start of the sync tests, Ritsuko was thinking of when to talk
to Rei. It didn't take long after the briefing was over where there was about ten minutes
till the Pilots had to board their
Evas so while Touji and Asuka discussed their escapade at school earlier and it's consequences,
Ritsuko looked for the first child and finally found her standing in the catwalk in front of Eva Unit-01.
She took in the sight of her sister as she made her way towards her. She notices Rei in her customary pose.
Her head tilted slightly, while she was standing more on one leg than the other,
and holding one arm behind her, by the elbow. ("She must be thinking of .....Shinji.")
Ritsuko thought as she made her way down the catwalk to where Rei was standing.
("I'll have to give her some hope that he'll return") Deep down she knew there was a slim possibility of Shinji returning.

"Rei, I need to talk to you about something ...important," Ritsuko began.

"I am listening, Dr. Akagi," Rei replied, still staring at the Evangelion Unit that held Shinji Ikari, her love.

"Rei, I assume the Commander had told you of ...your origins?"

"Yes, I know ..what I am," was all she said to the head of Nerv research.

"Did, you know ... that the Commander ..failed to tell you some .....specific information,
that would change your ... view of the facts of your origins?" said Ritsuko.

Rei turned her head towards the Doctor bringing to bare those striking crimson eyes of hers.
"Tell me," she said quietly, with a slight hint of .....sternness.

"Here is the sequencing data concerning ...you DNA make-up. It shows the percentage of common DNA compatibility's
....with others ...here ...at Nerv.."

"The personnel listed (she hands it to Rei) are current and former employees of Nerv, and Geherin, Nerv's
predecessor."

Rei reads the data, and raises an eyebrow reminiscent of a certain alien science officer
from an old pre-Second Impact sci-fi series. She then looks up at Ritsuko who was expecting her to do that.

After a few moments of silence Rei looks at the list again then looks back up. "This means we are ...siblings?"
asked Rei in a hesitant tone.

"Yes ... we are ... sisters, Rei," was all Ritsuko said.

They stare at each other in silence for about another minute until Ritsuko,
wanting to know what the girl was thinking finally spoke up.

"Do you have any ... questions, Rei? Well, about this change of relationship ... between us?"

After another wait, Rei replied. "Yes. Can we continue this later, ... after the sync test?" asked a still stoic Rei.

"Well, you can come, and have dinner with me, if you want to Rei. We can talk more then?"
answered a now nervous Ritsuko.

"That ..will be ...adequate," replied Rei.

"Good, I'm sure you have many questions for me, so let's get these tests done," said Ritsuko.

Both then made their way to their respective areas of responsibilities as
Touji and Asuka who were still verbally fighting made their way to their respective Evas.

("Well, I'm in for an interesting night,") thought Ritsuko Akagi at the prospect
of getting to know her half sister. A sister that for all intents and purposes she hated
until just these past few days. Yet the thought had crossed her mind.
("Why did the Commander give her this evidence now? Something has to be in that bastard's head, but what?")

As the pilots were in the practice entry plugs, since Unit-01's was still inside it, due to Shinji's current situation,
Ritsuko shook her head and focused on the data coming in from the current Eva pilots, and was dismayed.
("Not only was Touji failing to sync with Unit-01 again, I'll need to change him over to the data for the new Eva that's
coming, hopefully he'll sync better with that. Rei scores dropped 5% points from her previous score.
I shouldn't have talked to her until after the test. She berated herself, or ... could it be her concern for Shinji?
Hmmm, I'll ask her tonight, See if it was the cause,") Ritsuko thought as the testing continued.

Above her at the central command center, stood Gendo Ikari.
He had observed all the interactions between the three pilots, and Dr. Akagi.
"It is coming to fruition, ...as the scrolls predicted ... and as I have hoped."
He then turned his gaze on the now empty Unit-01, and contemplated his feelings for his son's current situation.
He looked down then back up at the behemoth.
("I ... haven't thought of you as my son ... for a long time, until now.
I know that your mother is keeping you safe. I ...know your memories are telling her how I've treated you.
For that, ...I ...am sorry, son. (A pause) But I have to get your mother back, ...at any cost.
(He shook his head as if to clear it) It will work out, as long as we follow the right scenario.
(He even contemplated the idea that for all of his manipulations even he couldn't predict for certain
what would happen? But he knew that he at the vary least had to thwart SEELE's plans.)
You, and your mother will be back. Even if Rei may not. For that, I am sorry. But we will succeed.")

All through this he kept his non emotional look as he then left the podium and took the elevator down to Central Dogma
to help his son, in his own indirect way, while contemplating his next step.

__________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Later at Ritsuko's apartment

Dinner normally consisted of a microwave special, and cat food for her many furry house mates,
but tonight would be different. Ritsuko Akagi, a normally stodgy, and logical scientist was in another role tonight.
A role she was only aware of just recently, older sister to Rei Ayanami,
someone she had loathed for most of her young life. Now as the facts changed
she was Ritsuko's younger sister. She knew that the conversation she was going to have with her
would be stressful, but hopefully fruitful for both.

At exactly 6:00pm there was a knock on Ritsuko's door. As she opened the door,
there stood Rei Ayanami without her customary school uniform, but rather a pair of blue jeans,
a burgundy turtleneck blouse and a pair of Nike sneakers.
Ritsuko had to blink twice to fully comprehend her sister's new wardrobe.
Rei looked back at her with a nervous look as if she was embarrassing Ritsuko.
"Am I not properly dressed Doctor?" asked Rei.

"No, it's not that Rei, it's just that ...I am not use to seeing you as a ..."

"As a normal person, Doctor? Maybe it would be better to meet with you at another time."
A very quiet Rei then turned to leave. Ritsuko quickly put her hand on Rei's shoulder. Rei glared at her.
"Rei, please don't leave. I'm sorry. (Ritsuko showed her emotion only rarely. This was one of those rare moments)
It's just going to take me some time ... to adjust to this," she finished hesitantly, while letting go of Rei's shoulder.

"Will I then be allowed in then to join you for dinner, Doctor?" asked Rei stoically.

"Please, come in Rei. Ritsuko stood aside as the girl passed into the apartment.
After they both sat down to the vegetarian meal prepared by Ritsuko, Rei began asking her questions."

"Doctor..."

"Rei, I am your sister, so when we are alone or outside of NERV, please call me Ritsuko."

"All right, Doc ... Ritsuko. Why did our mother ... kill the first?"

Ritsuko knew this question would be asked, and she was prepared with an answer, since she knew of Rei's bluntness.
All too well.
"The Commander had sent you to basically trigger her anger by having you call her an 'Old Hag'.
He knew she would react negatively since he had been manipulating her through ...their relationship."
Ritsuko knew what type of relationship it was. She shuddered knowing now that he had done the same to her as well.

"Will that be the same type of relationship you have with the Commander?" Rei asked innocently.
Ritsuko slammed her hands on the table with a fit of anger. Then she contemplated this for a few moments.
Then She said, "He's doing it again, trying to anger me enough to kill ..... you Rei?"
Rei stared at her with no visible cue, but she looked down after what she had said
She calmed down and asked Rei, "Did the Commander tell you the kind of relationship he has with me?"

"Yes, when he told me what had happened to Shinji-kun," she paused as that memory resurfaced,
"he also told me of your physical relationship with him. He said to tell you that specific answer
if you had asked me that specific question," said Rei.

"Rei, I realize that you gained much of the memory of the first Rei,
do you realize that he was trying to make me angry enough to kill you again as our mother did then?"

Rei took a few moments intensely examining what Ritsuko had said,
then she had a look of realization on her face.

"He tried to ... manipulate us. He wanted you to kill me," Rei frowned now finally realized the efforts
the Commander would go to get what he wanted.

Ritsuko then said; "He wanted to have me kill you ... and then with my grief at killing my own sister
with my own hands, commit suicide. Just like our mother..."

"And the first Rei. He wants us dead, sister," said Rei.

"Well, now that we aren't, he may try something else," replied Ritsuko.

"I will keep this in mind when dealing with him from now on," was what Rei said.

"I will keep an eye out for anything that could show his hand against us Rei."

"Would he accept us back even now with what he tried to do?"

"He would have a backup plan, so we'll act as if nothing happened tonight and act as normal.
He'll try something else subtle, then if that fails he'll act more overtly.
But for now he'll leave us alone."

"How are you so certain of this Rit-san?" asked a now more respectful Rei.

"I know how the Commander ...works, so I think we'll be safe for the time being," replied a now relieved Ritsuko.

"You know I now know what my mother felt, when she killed you the first, I mean.

"I am also realizing this as well. I hope you do not hate me anymore Rit-san."

"I won't lie to you Rei, I wanted to hate you," Ritsuko admitted as she lowered her head in shame,
"I tried to but I guess (she pauses and lets out a long weary sigh),
I guess I should have learned by now that there are some things beyond choice."

She stopped and looked her sister straight in the eye.

"He used us, just like he used mother and we were always there together, side by side,
I was just too busy trying to pretend I was something more to realize," she told Rei,
"We are like sisters in sorrow but we can be in this together now . . . I can bury what I feel if you can."

"I will ... be happy if you can Rit-san." Rei got up, went over to the young Doctor and took her hands in her.
Ritsuko looked into the young girl's eyes and saw that she truly wanted to have her as a sister.
Ritsuko got up and stiffly hugged the girl, and only for the second time in her life Rei returned the hug.
They both stood there in the middle of Ritsuko's dining room. and slowly they quietly held each other while slowly
tightening their hug. Ritsuko decided right there and then, she would protect Rei, and she knew she would do the same
for her. After a few more minutes they let go of each other and Rei then sat down next to Ritsuko.

Then with a more serious tone Rei asked now rather hesitantly
"Rit-san, how is Shinji-kun's recovery progressing?"
Rei had been holding something in her hand which she then shoved into her pocket. Ritsuko noticed this.

"Well, it seems to be going well, in two weeks we should see Shinji's smiling face." (Hopefully)
Ritsuko then got to see Rei smile her small but warm smile in reply.

"Thank you, Rit-san. That news makes me happy."

"Thought it would little sister," Ritsuko smiled at her, "Now do you have any more questions?"

"I have been researching the first time the Eva had taken in a pilot.
What are you doing to not have the same negative result?" asked a now serious Rei.

"We are varying the harmonics mainly that generated the force within the entry plug
while Shinji had achieved the 400% sync rate."

"I have a suggestion, Rit-san."

"What is it Rei-chan?" replied a now curious Ritsuko.

"Shinji and I had a favorite song that might encourage him to return to us."

"Rei-chan, doesn't the Eva have more to do with returning him than he does?"

"I would think any advantage you have to get Shinji-kun back would be accepted by any reasonable scientist."

"Rei-chan, trying to take advantage of our new-found relationship is so very like..."

"Yes, I know. I am sorry ...but when it comes to getting Shinji-kun back,
I would try everything, even if it emulated the Commander."

"I can understand Rei-chan, just give me your proposal, and I'll take it as a back up to the main plan.
We'll try it if ours doesn't succeed."

"Why didn't you question my plan?" Rei asked Ritsuko.

"Because, if you're my sister, then you have the same analytical mind we share with mother,
so I know your plan will have all the details and data that I will scrutinize, and I'm sure your plan
is based on proven scientific theories. Am I right so far?"

"You are correct. I have been working on this since the day the Commander had told me about Shinji's situation."

"That's the day I formulated my plan as well. You'll find out that Misato and Kaji
are involved so trust them when they tell you to do whatever they tell you."

"So, is this plan a way to thwart the Commander's plan?"

"The Commander isn't the only one who has plans for starting Third Impact, and you Rei."
Ritsuko then let the proverbial cat out of the bag, as she told her sister of SEELE,
their plans, and what she knew of the Commander's plans. Rei for her part clarified
and added to their shared knowledge and finally started to bond through this.
As she left Rei knew that she had another ally in her quest to get Shinji back and
to stop others from controlling her. She hoped for a normal life after the last Angel,
but remembered the Commander's plans for her. She would have to change those plans.
With the help of Ritsuko, and now Kaji and Misato she would have a chance, but only if Shinji came back.

__________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________

2 weeks later

The final preparations were under way to separate Shinji from Unit-01.
As Ritsuko and the other bridge personnel gather to start the process to
bring Shinji back from the Eva, Rei is sitting in front of the giant Mecha,
with a look of quiet solitude on her face. Her plan, surprisingly approved by
the Commander would coincide with the plans made by the bridge crew to
reanimate Shinji's body from the LCL, where his soul should return too.
Rei's plans were simple, it would aid in the recovery of Shinji simply by
Rei singing a song she and Shinji had fallen in love with.
She began singing into an impromptu PA system hooked outside Unit-01
as well as being plugged into the entry plug itself.

*Author's note: [ ] will be used below to indicate the activity on the bridge as Rei sings! *

Enya - Only Time

Who can say where the road goes,
Where the day flows?
Only time...

And who can say if your love grows,
As your heart chose?
Only time...

(interlude)

[as Rei sang, the process to extract Shinji from Unit-01 began.]

Who can say why your heart sighs,
As your love flies?
Only time...

And who can say why your heart cries,
When your love dies?
Only time...

(interlude)

Who can say when the roads meet,
That love might be,

[All the preparatory stages were complete, now came time to reinvigorate the LCL and reconstitute Shinji's body]

In your heart.

And who can say when the day sleeps,
If the night keeps all your heart?
Night keeps all your heart...

(long interlude)

[Then alarms sound and the bridge crew is scrambling to abort the process, or the LCL will release before Shinji's body
can solidify. Rei watching this continues to sing, but is nervous. At the observation area above Asuka and Touji silently
watch holding hands and praying things would be all right but, seeing the panic in the bridge crew's eyes,
hold each other in the hopes their prayers would be answered]

Who can say if your love grows,
As your heart chose?
Only time...

And who can say where the road goes,
Where the day flows?
Only time...

[Rei watches as suddenly the entry plug shoots out and within seconds so does the LCL held inside it.
She continues though now with tears running from her eyes.]

Who knows?
Only time...

Who knows?
Only time...

[As the process to save Shinji dies down the only sound is Rei, singing, and the background music.
Suddenly Misato wails at the loss of her friend and child she took care of.
Above them all, Asuka weeps in Touji's arms as he also sheds tears for his friend.
Rei keeps singing as a way to help herself through this horrendous time, to pay tribute to her love,
...by finishing the song they loved. She sang while weeping the final stanza.]

Who can say when the roads meet,
That love might be,

In your heart.

And who can say when the day sleeps,
If the night keeps all your heart?
Night keeps all your heart...

(long interlude)

Who can say if your love grows,
As your heart chose?
Only time...

And who can say where the road goes,
Where the day flows?
Only time...

Who knows?
Only time...

Who knows?
Only time...

As the music died down Rei was now on her knees on the catwalk in front of Unit-01 weeping for her lost love. Misato
came to join her as they cried together comforting each other.
Then Misato yelled; "GIVE US OUR SHINJI BACK DAMN IT, GIVE HIM BACK!!"
Then as if on que, a bright light emanated from the front of the Eva where the core was located, then a thud was heard.
As everyone rubbed their eyes to erase the temporary blindness the light had brought on them,
Rei yelled; "SHINJI!!"

She leapt to the fallen and naked body there upon the catwalk. It was Shinji whole again, and unconscious.
As the medics wheeled him to the infirmary, Rei neck and neck with Misato were right behind them.
Just behind them were Touji and Asuka who had raced down from the observation deck.
All had smiles of joy on their faces as a lone figure observed this with no hint of emotion.
"All is as it should be. Yui, ... we'll be together soon. You, me, and Shinji, together,"
was all Gendo Ikari thought as his gaze turned to Unit-01.
______________________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Recovery

Shinji wakes up and see's a seascape?!? The normally white ceiling now had a seascape of Tokyo-1
from before the Second Impact. But Shinji wouldn't know what exactly he was looking at until later.
He looks around the room, and recognizes where he is (Nerv's infirmary) and who were there ..... all asleep.
Near the door sat Misato, sleeping in a chair, leaning on the wall.
To his left in an obviously uncomfortable chair sat Touji, sleeping with an equally asleep Asuka laying in his lap.
This sight has him wondering, ("Touji ...and Asuka?!?") He'll have to ask them later.
On his right laying on the bed on his numb arm was Rei, who was also asleep and pinning his arm below her.
He then wrapped his arms around the girl he loved beyond all, and fell asleep.
As his mother said he dreamt of his conversations with her and a plan started to hatch in his mind.
A plan that if it worked would free all of them to live normal lives. But he would have to overcome SEELE,
... and his father.

He would need help! Luckily, much of the help was sleeping with him in the same room.
"I will have my revenge father.
Mother, and the others will help, and as I have learned from you, you will know how you have hurt us.
Oh yes you will," thought Shinji as he continued to sleep, and plan.

__________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Next Chapter # 11:Shinji's Plan

___________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Author's note: I want to make amends here. I wanted to convey more background material in this and the previous chapter,
but from now on, the focus will be on the children as they continue to struggle through this version of The Evangelion Saga.
I will be updating most of my stories During Spring Break. I wanted more time to try and tweak the story some
more. Hope it makes a difference. Thanks again go to Andre Laval who's pre-reading help makes these stories
as good as they can get!
dennsiud