Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Duo Awakenings ❯ Aftermath ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers:

Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc. are Property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine. This is a "what if" story, so take it as a divergence from the EoE Movie. So, it is an A/U story as well.

**As always, thanks go out to my pre-reader Datexan! Great Job Tex!

Duo Awakenings

**Yes it's gonna be updated within 1-2 weeks so keep an eye out!

(Fashback to the end of Chapter#4)

An Unusual Occurrence

Shinji tore the wires connected to him off, and tried to yank the shackles off of their hinges. With his movements stopping the planned Execution/Suicide, Kiel simply pointed a gun at the raving youth and simply said, "You never really counted Shinji Ikari, and you never will. Because even if I shoot you, you will still join us. So either way you lose."

Kiel Lorenz then laughed maniacally, and then two shots were fired.

A scream was heard as Shinji went down in a heap at the foot of the others seated. But suddenly an orange hexagonal wall formed separating the prisoners, and the two protagonists who fired their weapons uselessly at the AT-field. Then a familiar blue haired girl appeared on the opposite side of the gunmen.

"You had your choice, to remain as one, or return. But because of the greed and hatred you harbor you returned to this earth. You will not be able to rejoin the one, and you will not hurt anyone anymore," with that said, Rei Ayanami raised her hand towards the two enraged men. Kiel Lorenz and Alfred Langley had no time to move, nor did they have time to react. The only thing that their minds could register was that with Lillith or Rei as she appeared now, their plans were turning to dust. Just as their minds comprehended this, their bodies became as their plans became leaving just two piles of dust in the chairs that they had once occupied.

Then a groan was heard by those there as Rei used her powers to free the rest from their shackles and all rushed to the wounded boy.

There was a collective gasp as they saw the worst of wounds; a neat clean hole was on his right chest with blood steadily flowing out. Some lesser wounds were attended to, but the chest wound was the most serious. Shinji though was smiling as he saw a concerned Rei, who was now on one side of him while a worried Asuka was on the other. He though 'Well if I go, I get to see those I care about the most now.'

He then slowly closed his eyes and became silent.

The three that were left looked at Rei with a pleading look. Maya trembling , remembering the image of the Giant Rei going through Central Dogma, Shigreu held her in his arms comforting her. Finally Asuka not caring how or why she was here asked, "Can you save him?"

"Maybe. But I will need your help." Rei said as she gazed intently on the now surprised Red head.

Aftermath

"Asuka, are you willing to do what I say to save Shinji-Kun?" the stoic blue-haired beauty stared at the emotional German girl.

The determination in Asuka's eyes said much by itself. But, she voiced her feelings anyway.

"Whatever it takes to save him, I do what you say Wonder girl" Rei simply nodded and directed Asuka to straddle the wounded boys lower abdomen. Rei sat right behind her and took her hands with hers from behind.

"What are you doing Rei?" Her emotionless yet determined look silenced Asuka.

Rei sighed lightly then explained as she acted to help Shinji.

"When Adam exploded in Antarctica which caused Second Impact 15 years ago, there were microscopic cells that were released from the First angel. That act then infused you and Shinji with those cells. Do you agree with that theory?"

Asuka thought for a few moments, then she nodded in agreement with Rei's theory.

"Yeah I can see how that could happen. But what does that have to do with helping Shinji and both of us sitting on him while he's bleeding to death?" Asuka said in a steadily louder voice. Rei took both their hands and put them above Shinji's wound and then, Rei shut her eyes in concentration. Suddenly, both girls started to glow from their eyes and their hands as though it was coming from within them. The glow spread outwards to encompass their bodies. It finally spread to Shinji himself. Maya and Shigreu looked on in awe and trepidation, as the three children seemed to be glowing in a differing rainbow of colors.

It reminded the Techs of the way an Entry Plug synced with it's Evangelion. They were so enthralled with this that they almost didn't recognize the changes happening to Shinji's wounded body, nor those to Asuka under her bandaged arm.

Maya first noticed the wound beginning to close up under the girl's hands. As this was happening, small bright sparkles seemed to be floating away from the trio. They seemed to be of two different colors, while those flowing out of Rei seemed to be of a bluish tinge, those from Asuka and Shinji had a reddish color. Also Rei's physical appearance started to change. Her light blue azure hair slowly started to turn darker eventually becoming a light brown color. Her eyes also changed from the bright red color to a mellower green.

Then after what seemed like a good ten minutes (actually 2 minutes), the three children slowly lost their multicolored glow around them, the girls seemed to lose consciousness, and they slumped forward, ending up lying on top of a now healed Shinji. He seemed to be breathing normally, and his wound was now bloodless and closed, as though it was never there.

Maya and Shigreu sat there speechless witnessing what seemed to them was a miracle.

Then as they moved to check on them, they started to come to.

Asuka was first to stir and found her self sandwiched between Shinji whom she was lying on, and a still unconscious Rei. She didn't immediately see where she was but she definitely said what she felt.

"Wow, what was the number of that Meglev that ran over me!" As Asuka held her head with her now uninjured arm, she realized two things, [Author ID2: at Sun May 25 22:52:00 2003 ]She was sitting on Shinji, and he was still asleep with a calm and contented look on his face.

She then looked at the areas on his chest were the bullet wound was, and saw it was gone.

It didn't take more that a second more for her to glomp him and start weeping tears of joy and relief completely oblivious to the fact that Rei was still on her back, unconscious.

Though out all this she also didn't realize she was using the arm that was supposed to be weak and useless.

After a few more minutes Maya, Shigreu, and a now calmed Asuka had moved Shinji and Rei to the base's underground Barracks area two floors below the Command center. Asuka insisted she'd stay and keep an eye on the two sleeping children. Lt.'s Ibuki & Aoba then made their way back to the Command center to start to unravel the mystery behind how two men Like Kiel Lorenz and Alfred Langley made it back from the LCL, and to Tokyo-2 instead of Europe where the men were previous to Third Impact.

As this was going on Asuka was talking quietly to a still knocked out Shinji, as Rei quietly woke up. Asuka had her back to her as her attention was focused on her boyfriend.

Then Shinji stirred and started to wake up. He became fully awake as Asuka was on his chest squeezing him and crying onto his shoulder.

Rei observed all this and quietly got up walked out of the room away from the teen couple as Shinji was having a hard time breathing "Asuka, can't…. Breath! P-p-please let go?"

"Oh Sorry My Baka, I was just so happy, to…." Then she looked around, realizing where she was, who she was on, and whom should have been there as well but wasn't. She got up and practically threw him back onto the bed he laid in, again using both arms. She hrumped and walked to a nearby chair sitting down and then realized she didn't get the whole story from Rei. She then thought about the girl and remembered seeing ….a different Rei. 'Hey what happened to her hair…. and her eyes were ….green?'[Author ID0: at ]

[Author ID0: at ]

As she was thinking of this Shinji also tried to remember what had happened.

'Ok, First I was shot, then as I fell I saw someone materialize between me and Kiel. Then …oh yeah it was Rei, or Lillith Aw I don't know which. But then an AT field popped up.

Then after some more shouting and something burning, I saw Asuka, and Rei.

"REI?!?!?!?" Shinji shouted startling Asuka and making Rei run back, into the room she had left to give Shinji & Asuka some private time.

"Shinji-kun are you all right?" Rei asked as Asuka had Shinji up by his collar yelling at him.

"Don't you ever scare me like that again baka, and what's the deal yelling Wonder-girl's name and not mine huh?" Asuka said.

"Hum, Asuka your arm?" Shinji gasped between shakes. Asuka completely ignored him as she shook him. She finally put him down.

"Well, I was just startled and Rei showing up like that. I do remember you being there as I blacked out, it's just that well Rei suddenly appeared and well that freaked me out I all."

Shinji was rubbing the back of his head apologetically.

But before he could say it Asuka yelled, "DON'T SAY YOU'[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 22:54:00 2003 ]RE[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 22:55:00 2003 ] SORRY!"

Then she kissed him full and hard on the lips, which seemed to deflate the tense situation and made it rather uncomfortable for a now flustered Rei as Shinji and Asuka lip locked and were quite enjoying it. [Author ID0: at ]

[Author ID0: at ]

She quietly again tried to leave but as she was distracted by the couple kissing, she hit her leg on a chair loudly enough to stop then from kissing. [Author ID1: at Mon May 26 19:54:00 2003 ][Author ID0: at ]

[Author ID0: at ]

"Yup, she's related to you all right!" Asuka said in not to friendly a term.

"Rei, is…is that really you? Shinji said eyeing the brown-haired green-eyed girl who reminded him greatly of his friend and co-pilot.

Rei sighed and looked directly at her friend and unknowing sibling.

"Yes, Shinji-kun, it is I, Rei (Then she hesitated as the realization came to her of who she really was now) Ikari. I am your sister Shinji-kun."

"Sister?" Shinji said totally confused.

Then they three sat down and after a few more comments from the irascible German girl Rei explained that she was given the chance to help when Shinji was put in danger by the machinations of the two Former SEELE members. It seemed that Lillith had not dissipated Rei's soul into herself totally and so when she sensed that Shinji was in danger she sent her avatar Rei to help.

Then Asuka continued the earlier questioning of Rei on how she fixed Shinji's wounds and also why Asuka was used in this.

Rei now didn't seem to be as cool and collected as before, sighed and answered the flustered Redhead. "As I said before you had particles of Adam in both you and Shinji's bodies as I have what is essentially Lillith's essence in mine. I simply used my AT-field to take Lillith's essence and Adam's essence within you and Shinji and me and used you as a conduit and combined them to heal Shinji's wound as well as your own."

Asuka was floored She then felt around her arm and where there was searing pain and weakness before now there was strength and no pain whatsoever. She then looked at Rei and said almost in a whisper, "Thank you." Rei simply nodded. Then both children saw that Rei looked different now."

"But, if that's true what happened to your hair, your skin tone, and your eyes?"

Shinji asked about Rei's changes.

Then both of them were treated to something they would have never though to have seen from Rei. She smiled a normal human smile and took one of Shinji's hands. This display of emotion even this small was totally unlike the Rei they knew.

It threw off Asuka even more. But as she was about to deliver a verbal barrage of insults she remembers that Rei called herself Shinji's sibling. She stopped herself within microseconds to listen to what Rei said next.

It took a few moments then she answered him. "My Physical change occurred because in the process of healing you, I used up all of my angelic self and so essentially I am now totally human."

"So, you are an exact clone of Shinji's Mom Yui. Is that right?" Asuka asked as she now sat behind Shinji on his bed with one arm around his back.

"No, I am I." Rei said confidently[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 22:56:00 2003 ]. "Yui Ikari's essence or soul was in Unit-01's core. I know you both know this to be true." As Rei looked at them, Shinji and Asuka nodded.

They knew through the events of Third Impact that their mother's souls were in their respective Eva's core.

"My body was a clone of her before Third Impact, as it is now but my essence, my soul is my own." Rei said that with a quiet determination that left no doubt.

"Well, if that is true, then you are human, and as you are from Yui as Shinji is, then you are his sister. Wouldn't you agree?" She asked Shinji. He looked at them and as if contemplating the idea. Then he smiled, got up, and that startled Rei, who still had Shinji's hand in hers. Smiling again, Shinji gathered the now brown-haired Rei in his arms and hugged her. Rei sighed in his embrace and hugged her brother back. Tears now ran silently down Rei's face as she relished in the comfort of her brother's embrace.

Asuka who had lost her superior smirk simply stared at boy she cared for and said nothing. Though she understood the event unfolding in front of her, she planned to talk to them both later individually when they were away from the adults.

Investigation

Aoba and Maya investigate how and why Kiel and Langley were in The Toyko-2 Nerv Facility, and after a three way talk to settle things between the ex-pilots, all agree to make for Yokohama as they gather enough supplies for the trip.

After they got up to the Command Center, both Maya and Shigreu started to search the Nerv complex with the security system and then physically searching areas not covered by the surveillance cameras.

It took them most of the rest of the night. After Shigreu went to check on the three children, he went to gather supplies for the next few days. While keeping an electronic eye on the now sleeping children, Maya stayed at the command center to ascertain how Kiel and Langley had gotten the base's system online. [Author ID1: at Mon May 26 19:33:00 2003 ]

She found in the computer records two important things. Langley was by profession an engineer. And had designed the three bases used by Nerv and before them Geherin. After the main Nerv bases were constructed around the world, the smaller bases were used for storage and as a back up for the main bases. All used the same layout and systems. All designed by Alfred Langley. That explained how the two had the knowledge to restart and operate this base, but there still wasn't anything on how Kiel knew that they were here? She'd have to talk to Shigreu about that.

Later she got Shigreu alone and discussed her concerns of how Kiel Lorenz knew where they would be. After a few moments he answered.

"You can agree with me that as Kiel was the head of SEELE, a secret organization not officially known to the world, they would have access to knowledge even we might not know." She nodded and he continued. "Ok, do you then agree with me that when we were all one in the LCL we started to share our memories especially Shinji, as he was the deciding factor to either conclude Instrumentality or not."

Maya agreed "Yes I remember seeing many memories that were Shinji's. He really had such a hard life." Aoba simply nodded.[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 22:57:00 2003 ][Author ID0: at ]

"Well then, wouldn't Kiel, seeing Shinji's rejection of Instrumentality, make a supreme effort to see where Shinji had gone as he left the LCL reality, probably planning[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 22:57:00 2003 ] out where he would logically end up." Shigreu said

"Yes, of course. And Tokyo-2 would have been the closest city where supplies could be had." Maya started to understand "We saw when we were in the LCL he was blaming himself and wanted to go back to the desolate earth to atone for what he thought he did wrong." She felt even more pity for him. "Eventually he would have gone in search of needed supplies and so he would have made his way to Tokyo-2."

Aoba added, "Exactly, I think he knew with Shinji being the deciding factor of Third Impact, He would have had to follow…"

"And formulate a plan to complete it." Maya completed, nodding in the affirmative.

"Ok since we figured out how they got here, I want to talk to you about something else." He said.

"Oh, what?" She replied

"Should we stay here?" Aoba waited then for Maya's reply.

Where to go?

That morning Maya and Shigreu set up the Security and protection systems while they camped out in the Command Center, to try to catch up on their sleep that their incarceration had taken from them. Now that Rei was now human she stayed making the commitment to live out a human life. She felt satisfied with helping Shinji, now her brother and to have a chance to live a real life.

She slept next to her brother who had Asuka sleeping in his arms on his other side.

Asuka wanted to talk to Shinji and Rei, but with all the talking they did throughout the night she was exhausted. She resolved to have a talk with them later after they had a good rest.

The next afternoon Maya and Shigreu had gotten up and had made some brunch for them and the children from the supplies they found on the base.

After their meal Shinji and Shigreu made their way to the surface of the empty city of Tokyo-2, and found to their relief that the snowstorm, which had trapped them at the base had ended. Shigreu then made a decision, which he would discuss with the others later.

After the women were informed this, they were happy and wanted to go back up to get more supplies, and maybe check out the local deserted mall. But that was nixed by Shigreu when he informed them that they would be leaving and heading south away from the cold weather.

All were in agreement on this.

They then sat down and planned their trip. They agreed to go to the farthest southern city to wait out whoever would come back from the LCL. They also agreed that they'd be armed and ready just in case some others from SEELE or maybe members of the Japanese defense forces might also come after them. But Maya voiced the opinion that whomever wants to come back wouldn't want to go through more hell when it will be hard enough to make a life in the desolate world they were in now.

After some more disagreement on this, the discussion was shelved until after they left Tokyo-2. But Shigreu, Maya and Asuka were armed. Asuka had training in small arms shooting.

Two Hearts Combine

It took about a week for all of the preparations to be made for the group of five to be ready to depart.

On the last day, Shigreu and Maya were together alone in the Command center setting up a system to monitor the base as they headed south. They had found one lone Satellite, which they could use to keep a check of the Tokyo-2 area through a Microwave link via [Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:10:00 2003 ]the satellite through a laptop computer. All this was done as the three children had bedded down for the night. The week of preparation had its[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:10:00 2003 ] ups and downs mainly yelling from Asuka about what Shinji should or could have done.[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:11:00 2003 ] Rei asking many more questions about human interaction[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:11:00 2003 ] though[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:10:00 2003 ] still with her stoic delivery but they all saw a change in her facial expressions.

So, as they set up the remote monitoring system Shigreu was watching his fellow Tech as she inputted the software instructions to the Base's[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:09:00 2003 ] computer mainframe. He finally after these last harrowing days took a good look at Maya Ibuki.

Her features and her body stirred within him many feelings he'd been holding back simply because the Priority was to survive and then prosper. But he knew he had to talk to her now, as the next phase of the journey may not allow the luxury of time to do otherwise.

"Maya Can you stop for a minute. I need to talk to you." He said in his commanding yet comfortable voice. She sighed, yet her hands moved like they were in a mission from God. So in record time she finished and then moved to here Shigreu was sitting.

"Ok What do you want Shigreu?"

He carefully put down the cup of Coffee he was sipping and then faced her with his most pleasing smile. " I wanted to ask you something and with us leaving tomorrow I don't think that we would get the time to discuss what I want to talk about."

"And what would that be Mr. Aoba?" Maya said in a playful tone. Since the Attempt by the SEELE members Maya had been with Shigreu almost every minute of every day since.

Both knew that this was a result of the incident and Maya's unwillingness to be alone but it did bring them closer and already used to working together it made them less stressed out. But now Shigreu wanted to ask her….What?

He then got up and rolled his chair out then he knelt in front of Maya Ibuki who now was as nervous as anytime during the SEELE takeover. He took a long breath and then said

"I have admired you for these last 2 years,[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:10:00 2003 ] working with[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:09:00 2003 ] you has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. But, when you came back I was scared I couldn't help you. It almost cost us our lives "

He was now visibly shaking which made Maya even more nervous. 'What is going on?'

"I would like to give you something so it will make it easier to get through these next couple of weeks, months, Heck even years to come." Maya was now perplexed

"I want you to know that I will give my life to protect you and with that I…." He didn't finish as a slap was heard and felt by a startled Shigreu Aoba!

"[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:05:00 2003 ]You will not DIE for me." Maya said in a very high pitch.

But, But…" Was all that dribbled out of Shigreu's mouth as Maya answered.

"I will not allow you to leave me like that DO you understand Aoba!" Then she burst into a cacophony of tears and hugged the confused Tech.

As she was glomped onto him he slipped a small ring on her finger. Which then got an immediate reaction as she jumped up knocking the kneeling man on sprawled his back.

"Wha..wha…what is THIS?????" Maya said in a steadily louder and higher voice.

A groggy Shigreu shook his head and then seeing a very frightened and nervous Maya Ibuki crawled to her and then got on his knee. Maya Ibuki, I don't know what the future holds for us, but I would like it to face it together. Will you do me the honor of being my wife from this day on for richer for poorer, in sic……….." He didn't finish, as Maya's kiss was so passionate and explosive that his tonsils got a big work out!

After a few minutes to get some air, they both were breathing heavily.

"So, I take that as a yes?" Shigreu smiled as he was shoved down on the floor and Maya with a predatory gleam in her eye returned to their previous activity!

[Author ID0: at ]

[Author ID0: at ]

A Heart's View

As Shigreu and Maya were becoming better acquainted[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:07:00 2003 ] up in the Command Center, the three Children were quietly discussing their new relationships.

Ok, So we agree that Shinji will still sleep with me to keep me warm, and you will be his sister and NOT interfere with our …. relationship? Asuka eyed the brown-haired sibling of her boyfriend Shinji Ikari. "Well Rei, is it a deal?"

"[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:07:00 2003 ]Yes, but I will reserve the right to confer and seek comfort as a sister would ask of her brother. Is that satisfactory Asuka-san?" Rei waited quietly for her answer.

"[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:07:00 2003 ]Ok Rei, define Comfort?" The German girl asked with a simmering gaze.

"When I feel sad, or confused as I'm sure I will be,[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:07:00 2003 ] I ask for that and expect Comfort. Plus if in the future you marry Shinji-kun that would make us sisters and I will ask you for advice and comfort when needed.."

The Redhead "You mean asking for advice, favors and other stuff like that right?"

"[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:08:00 2003 ]That is acceptable." Rei replied

But, if[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:08:00 2003 ] it becomes too[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:08:00 2003 ] cold I also will share bodily warmth with Shinji and you."

"WHAT?" Asuka bellowed!

"Asuka, Listen you will have to get used to the idea of Rei as my sister and as such I will be spending sometime with her, but you and I have already …discussed our situation before. That does not change. Do you understand now?"

Silently Shinji took Asuka's right hand and squeezed;[Author ID2: at Sun May 25 23:08:00 2003 ] she of course understood the silent signal, and nodded. "Ok, I suppose if it's that cold then it's ok, but you'll either sleep behind me or him, got it!"

Rei simply nodded again with that smile that still boggled Shinji and Asuka to no end.

Next Stop, Yokohama

As they depart Tokyo-2, they'll make camp at an abandoned seaside resort, where all confer on what will be their next step. Then strange visitors arrive!