Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Duo Awakenings ❯ Talk and Travel ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers:

Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc. are Property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine. This is a "what if" story, so take it as a divergence from the EoE Movie. So, it is an A/U story as well.

**As always, thanks go out to my pre-reader Datexan, plus some help from St.Pika!

Great Job Tex & Em! Sorry it's late, I had to update a Tenchi Muyo story first but it's gonna be updated within 1-2 weeks so keep an eye out!

This is a more talking chapter, more action in the next chappy!

Duo Awakenings

Chapter#6: Talk and Travel

'= mental conversation

"= vocal talking

Next Stop, Yokohama

It had taken nearly a week for the group of survivors to gather enough equipment and supplies to start their trip to Yokohama. They had all agreed that staying in Tokyo-2 was simply not healthy for them. Also, if Kiel Lorenz had found them there, those who wanted their revenge on them could as well, … at least from the LCL reality. So they were finalizing their intinerary and supply list as they packed a crew-cab pick-up truck. They also hooked a twenty-foot trailer to have enough room for all their supplies.

At this time there were some changes within the group themselves. Most prominent was the closeness of Shigreu Aoba and Maya Ibuki who seemed to be in a state of perpetual bliss which unnerved a certain redheaded German who thought all the touching, giggling, and overall lovey-doveyness was sickening. She scowled through out most of the week.

Shinji seemed amused by the pair's antics, that is until his other half was present. He tried to seem indifferent, but when Asuka wasn't looking he smiled at the happiness they two adults in love radiated.

Rei for all intents and purposes was in her normal stoic attitude, but this hid her real intent, the observation of the other four survivors. But some things were new to her at least now as a normal human being; she felt many stirrings of emotions she had not felt before. Especially when she observed Maya and Shigreu flirting. These emotions were new to her. They were different from the caring she felt towards Shinji. She made up her mind to talk to either Shinji or Asuka about this as soon as possible.

Maya and Shigreu were simply walking and doing their work but still that warm glowing feeling permeated everything they did. There seemed to be a glow around the two when they were together. It saturated the air around them, and it did affect those around them.

They kept doing little things, like Shigreu squeezing her shoulder, Maya stealing a glance at him without him knowing, Maya twirling the ring that meant so much to her. All these signified the new love the two had. Rei observed all this, as she added this to her mental list of questions she hoped Asuka or Shinji could answer.

The day of departure soon came. They all took one final look at the Nerv Base for the last time, Shigreu activated the remote observation system and they all piled into the pick-up truck and started their trek to Yokohama. They had all agreed that once there, they would figure out their final destination.

As they made their way out of Tokyo-2 proper there was a silence as all five occupants had thoughts of their own current predicaments.

'When can I get Shigreu Alone?' Maya was thinking as Shigreu had a similar thought.

Asuka, already having forgotten what Rei had told her, fumed internally as she looked at the brown haired girl sitting on the other side of her love, 'Why did SHE come back?

Rei had a different idea in her mind, 'How can I be more… human?'

While Shinji simply fretted, as he knew already what might be coming. 'Why do I always end up between them? I like Ayanami as a friend and sister, but Asuka's jealousy and her temper will make it that much harder to help her.' He knew Rei came back for him, but also he knew she would need him and Asuka after some coaxing, to live her life as she was meant to be. 'Oh boy do I have my job cut out for me.' He simply hung his head and shook it in defeat then mumbles "Why me?"

Shinji came to his senses as he felt both girls tense on either side of him at his slip of the tongue. He tried to recover by saying "He, he, nice weather we're having." before the realization hit him that it was raining outside of the pick-up truck they were riding.

Shinji chuckled while holding the back of his head, to no avail as the stoic glare of Rei, and the Fiery one by Asuka silenced him for the rest of the ride to Yokohama.

Girl Talk

The group of survivors arrived on the outskirts of Yokohama. They felt better to be out of the Tokyo area, but still being on Tokyo bay still made them very tense. All decided on an out of the way motel and divided up in rooms right next to each other. The group picked two rooms with a connecting door, and though it did afford some privacy it did allow the adults to be separate from the children though with the door open between the rooms they could hear each other.

After settling in, Maya and Asuka brought out a portable stovetop and began to cook dinner as Shinji, and Shigreu went out to scout the area and check their route around the city.

They had talked, as they were unpacking and decided to head for Kyushu, and lay low in Kagoshima. They figured, as it was likely that whoever comes there will come by either sea or overland. The location of that city made it easy to see all roads in, as well as any ships entering the bay as it was surrounded by land, with mountain look outs above.

As the boys were away, Maya went to her room to make contact with the portable satellite link back to Tokyo-2, leaving Rei and Asuka alone in the same room together.

As Asuka was cooking her part of the dinner Rei sat on one of the beds silently observing her. Asuka was quite aware at the eyes boring on her back and was getting more and more irritated.

With a hrumph, she turned and addressed the brown-haired girl.

"All right, what do you want, Wondergirl?"

Rei had a concerned look on her face. Then as she saw the German girl start to seethe, she spoke up. "I am observing your cooking skills so I can adequately do the same when I am called upon to."

"Who said anyone would want you to cook. Oh, I forgot you'll do anything you are told, since you are a doll." She said with a snide look.

Rei seemed unaffected as she then asked, "Is that why you cook so that you aren't like a doll, as you seem to think I am?" she said straight-faced.

"Asuka who had a spatula in her hand raised it and started toward Rei. "Why you little…!"

"ASUKA, STOP!" Maya Ibuki was at the door separating the rooms.

"What are you two doing?" she looked from one girl to the other trying to understand what had sparked this argument and then it hit her… 'Shinji!'

"Ok, Asuka sit there, Rei stay on that bed, I'll finish this dinner then we will talk, got it!"

None of the girls spoke, seemingly ignoring her. Maya then gave them a stern look.

"AM I CLEAR!"

Each girl looked startled at the severity of the tone Maya had said the word and simply nodded quietly. "Good!"

Later after Maya finished preparing dinner she then pulled up a chair and sat down facing the girls who were still sitting on the bed. She knew they had to fix this problem between Rei and Asuka before the boys got back. So she started the conversation.

"Ok, I have been observing both of you," Rei raised an eyebrow while Asuka had a surprised look. "And the main problem here between you is simply put … Shinji!"

Asuka let out a string of Japanese and German obscenities while Rei looked puzzled yet a little embarrassed. Asuka didn't want Rei to know she had a relationship with Shinji, but yet didn't want her near him. She knew she was Jealous.

Rei knew there was something between the two ex-pilots. But, she also knew the stubbornness of the red headed German girl.

Maya looked at both of the girls then sighed. 'This is going to take a while,' she thought then looked back at the two of them. "Am I right?" She asked them a little more sternly.

"Well, you know Shinji and I were getting along till little Miss No personality showed up!" She waved her hand at Rei.

Snickering, Maya remembered what had happened back in Tokyo-3, and how her and Aoba had interrupted Shinji and Asuka kissing on a number of occasions.

" I came back, because Shinji-kun was in danger, and if those SEELE members had succeeded, all of you," she gazed poignantly at Asuka, " would have returned to LCL and Instrumentality would have been complete." Rei seemed to have purposely let those last words hang in the air.

That shook Asuka, Rei had come back for Shinji, … and them as well. Maybe Rei wasn't all that bad, but she'd reserve judgement till later. But as for the present, she looked at Rei intently. "So, you came back for Shinji, and we were just lucky to be helped by you?"

Asuka wanted a clearer explanation.

"I… came back for Shinji, but I also wanted to experience what it is to be … human. I cannot experience that with only one other person. So, I came for you as well." Rei then stared down at her hands, as she tried to hear what the other two girls were saying.

"So, … so you wanted to help all of us?" Maya asked

"And, myself. I had heard Shinji's mother say that Shinji wanted to allow everyone to come back if they so choose. But I as apart of Lillith could not."

"Is that why you didn't come back when we did, … because you couldn't?" Asuka said no interested in Rei's explanation.

Rei simply nodded. "I was apart of Lillith, but my experiences, my … feelings seemed to have gotten her attention. So when this opportunity became available, I as a part of Lillith expressed my longing to return, and she granted me that. She knew what Shinji wanted, so I was recomposed and came back as you saw me." She turned to Asuka her now green piercing eyes meeting the deep blue eyes of the fiery German.

Asuka then asked Maya to leave. When Maya asked why, Asuka said it was something … private. Maya shrugged looked at Rei who nodded and she wen back to her room, shutting the door.

Asuka then got up and sat next to Rei on the bed. She cleared her throat to get the stoic child's attention then said, "Look Ayanami, Shinji, and I have … an arrangement and simply put he's now my boyfriend. You do know what that means?"

Asuka looked at Rei and after a few tense moments Rei nodded.

" Souryu, I do not seek that type of relationship with Shinji-kun, as I am his half-sister, so it is more of a familial kind of relationship "

"Wait, oh that's' right, you're his … sister. So how are you Shinji's sister really!

Asuka stared at Rei as she waited for an explanation.

"Before Third Impact my connection to him was a classified secret as was the fact that I am a clone of his mother Yui Ikari, so I would consider myself his sister, in that light."

"Well, …yeah I can see that. Wait, you're a clone, ok. Let me ask you something? Who raised you?

"Dr. Akagi, and The Commander." Rei replied.

"Huh, no wonder you acted the way you did. Being raised by those two would warp your sense of self and what's important in life"

"I had nothing to look forward to but to serve Eva and to be the key to Instrumentality."

"Well you'll have any goal you want and no one will make the decision for you." Asuka added.

"I hope to discuss this with you and Shinji-kun. Rei asked.

As long as you have no intentions to be with Shinji?" Asuka said as a last confirmation of her fears of Rei's relationship with her love.

"To be with Shinji? Explain?" Rei asked in a confused state.

"Oh boy don't you know what "To be with" means?" Rei shook her head.

"Ok, to be with someone is to have relations with them physically, you know make whoopee…!"

Rei cut off Asuka.

"To make love, have sex, do the deed, is that the right terms? Rei said quite innocently to a now red-faced Asuka.

"Yeah, yeah all that, You aren't doing that with Shinji, right?"

"I cannot morally have sexual relations with my brother Souryu, so do not worry. I will however peruse a sibling relationship with him. Is that acceptable to you?"

"Yeah, that's fine with me, just don't act like such a doll be more sociable and I can stand to be around you." Asuka was relieved, but then not as she knew she'd have to deal with Rei for the rest of her life, as she is now Shinji's sister. She also decided to help Rei become more human. But what she didn't know was that Rei wanted to know things right away.

"Good, I have many questions to ask you and Shinji-kun on that very subject."

Asuka sighs, as she now knows she'll have to deal with Rei already.

"Can we wait till after dinner so the love birds won't disturb us?" Asuka says.

"That is acceptable" and with that they made their way to the door to let Maya back in and set up the tables in the rooms for dinner.

Feelings Expressed

The Boys got back within a half-hour and they all had a nice dinner of canned veggies and canned ham, plus some ramen.

Afterwards came the sleeping arrangements. It was obvious that Maya and Shigreu would take one room, which by coincidence had a queen sized bed. While the other room had two twin sized beds. While the three sat together in the trip out from Tokyo-2, who would sleep where had to be figured out. After a short discussion an embarrassed Shinji and Asuka made it clear that they would share a bed. Though Rei seemed not to have a reaction and did take the other, she felt a bit …angry. But in her monotone voice, she asked that Shinji sleep in the side facing her. Though Asuka seemed peeved by the request, Shinji felt better about it. At least with him there, sleeping between the girls there should be no problems.

But as they got ready for bed with each having taken a bath.

The three children had a conversation on Human interaction, which took an hour just to explain the differences between friendships and more intimate relationships.

Then Asuka told Rei that they would discuss this tomorrow.

Asuka then took Shinji by the arm, and stated they were going to sit at a nearby park, to talk. They told Maya and Shigreu who handed each of them a sidearm each to protect themselves just in case.

Asuka and Shinji made their way, walking across the street to a bench where they could be seen clearly by Rei's open window. Shigreu asked her to keep and eye on then, and shout an alarm if they were attacked.

Though Asuka knew of this she wasn't too comfortable about it. What if Rei could read lips? So, she had Shinji help her turn the bench around, as it wasn't bolted to the ground.

She looked up to see if Rei reacted, the brown-haired girl seemed to be reading a book seemingly not reacting to Asuka's move. She sighed and then sat down patting the spot next to her on the bench. Shinji got the hint and sat down. Asuka then quietly reached out and took his hand in hers on the bench.

Shinji looked at his hands in Asuka and gulped. Then he drifted his gaze up to those deep blue eyes of his girlfriend. What surprised him was the kind smile she had on her face.

And the gentleness of her eyes nearly made him faint.

He sat there admiring her when Asuka spoke.

"Shinji, I wanted to talk to you privately because I think we have a few things to clear up. Ok?" Shinji, simply nodded a smile on his face.

"What do you think of Maya and Shigreu's engagement?" She looked anxiously at him.

Shinji for his part was shaken out of his stupor by the question and did take a few moments to think out an answer. " Well, I am happy for them Asuka. They have made a decision on how they feel for each other and being adults they can do this. I just wished I had their courage."

"Baka, why do you say that? You stood in front of me taking bullets that would have killed me and you say they have courage?" She squeezed his hand trying to convey her feelings.

"Asuka, I may have courage in being able to save you life, but I don't think I have it when it comes to being an emotional support for you. Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed holding you at night, having your warmth near me, listening to you breath as your sleep. I wouldn't

Give that up." He took both her hands, " I'm not worthy of you but I will be here for you for as long as you want me." He smiled and held her hands tightly.

Asuka's emotions were a jumble trying to understand what Shinji was saying. 'He's saying he isn't good enough for me, Damn Baka, how can he think that?' But she remembered all the things she had said to him berating him, putting him down, even … telling him that she … hated … him. 'Oh god What have I done?' She then looked up to his teary face as she was quietly tearing up herself, showing her emotions as well.

She then did something, which blew him away. She got up still holding his hands and knelt down in front of him. He started to shiver with nerves.

She now also crying, and smiled at him . She then simply said,

"I apologize to you Shinji Ikari, for all the things I have said to you which have hurt you and

I'm sorry for continuing to put you down even now, but I have no other way to … tell you how … I … feel." She hiccuped, as she continued. " I have been caring for you since the 8th Angel … but as things got worse I couldn't tell you how I felt, and you being who you are it was easier to berate you than you actually tell you … how I … felt."

She was now crying hard and Shinji gathered her in his arms patting her on the back telling her it was all right. But she continued on though each sentence was between hiccups and crying. " I don't just care for you my Baka," She smiled though still crying. She put a hand on his cheek.

"I love you!" She then buried her face on his shoulder crying even more.

He heard this and it seemed not to register for a few seconds, then he pulled her off his shoulder, which was thoroughly soaked.

"You, …you, love … me?" Shinji was stunned. He had never thought that Asuka really did care for him. All through their year together and even in Third Impact, she treated him like crap. But afterwards, when they all came back, she was much more tolerant of his mistakes and even praising on other things he did. The snuggling they did had already somewhat put the notion of her caring for him in his head. But he had dismissed it as an affect of their situation. He being the one male available who she could gain comfort from. He really didn't believe that her attention was that intense. He had not time to think anymore as a wet salted kiss was what greeted his mouth and was kept there as two hands were on either side of his head steadying him as she continued to kiss him deeply. It took a few more moments until he returned the kiss back and held her tightly in his arms.

After a few more minutes they simply relished the feel of each other's arms around them. Asuka then said it again, hoping she would get a positive reply. "Shinji, I love you!"

"Asuka, I love you too, even though I'm still not…! Asuka put her finger on his lips.

"Do you want to argue with me? Hmmm Shinji, well do you?" Shinji shook his head vigorously! "Good, then let me say this, we are worthy of each other. Because other than Rei, no one understands what we've gone through. So, understand this, I want you to be with me till we're both dead, got it!"

Shinji then nodded vigorously. She then continued their kissing session till they saw Rei, waving them in. They had sat on that bench for over 3 hours, so they got up arm-in-arm and headed for their room, where a stoic girl was holding a door open for them. After they past her a slight smile passed over her lips as she closed that room's door.

Journey through Honshu

A plan is made to travel the length of Honshu towards Kyushu and Kagoshima.

The group meets another person with some unusual help!