Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Hearts & Minds ❯ Spring Thaw ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: I do not own the characters or major themes in this story they are owned by GAINAX. This is a fan-fiction, no income will be generated in its distribution, it is simply a tribute to a great series.

Chapter 1: Spring Thaw

Authors note:

[[The story begins just after the conclusion of the fight against the 17th angel Kaworu. This story assumes that Kaworus sacrifice at the end of that battle allowed for the decision regarding third impact to be completely controlled by Shinji. His self-analysis in the 24th and 25th episode of the series represents his interaction with the processes surrounding third impact, triggered upon Kaworus death. Also during this stage it is assumed that Shinji has some sort of visions of a possible future outcome, namely the Evangelion movies. Naturally his decisions made during this process brought about the halt to third impact. And so now we begin.]]

1.1 Good morning.

It all started at the end it seemed. The final battle against Evangelion unit 02 and the confrontation with the 17th angel `Kaworu' was clear in Shinjis mind, regardless of the massive emotional imbalances he felt at the time.

At the end of that battle however, after the final action of clenching his Evas fist, thus ending Kaworus life, something had snapped in Shinjis mind. Overwhelmed by the continual attack on his emotional self, and the demands this placed on his being and his soul, he had seemingly lost his mind.

He would remembered that "out of body" experience, as he had thought of it at the time, for the rest of his life.

Those places, that environment… the environments where he had seemingly been under a guiding influence of an outside consciousness', or beings. A place where, a never-ending cycle of self-analysis and perception was the normal state of being. A place that contained lessons about the contact between different individuals, different souls.

An intimidating place, but one he had felt immensely privileged to visit, to experience. And the outcome of this visit, most important of all, his final "self realisation" as a true individual, the power of his self control, his perception, his emotions, his choices……..

And so he chose, a seemingly simple thought, but one whose importance for all mankind would be pivotal. Though he would never fully appreciate it.

And so he, Shinji Ikari awoke…..

Slowly at first, his eyes growing accustomed to the light. He found himself staring up at a ceiling, a ceiling he had seen numerous times before. He lay there, looking at it, listening to the repetitive droning of the ventilation ducts. After some time his mind finally started to formulate thoughts again, and his eyes began to recognise the environment… slowly he began to speak.

"I hate thi….." he paused mid sentence, considering the words he had just spoken, his un-focused eyes staring at the familiar hospital ceiling a while longer… the air-conditioning hummed.

"I ha……" again he stoped. The air-conditioner droned on as the young boy simply continued to stare at the ceiling. Eyes finally focusing Shinji turned his head slowly to look around the room, slowly, one after the other, he tried to move his limbs, stretching, one limb after the other, though not moving from his position. Finally he took in a deep breath, holding it for a second before exhaling.

"Well….." he said finally "Here I am again."

The words were spoken in a quiet voice, and a weak smile crept across his face, a fine start indeed.

The situation he found himself in seemed as strange to him as the recently acquired incite into his own mind. Leaving the hospital bed Shinji found that NERV was in a state of disarray. Most people Shinji encountered appeared to be somewhat preoccupied and not their usual professional selves. Misato was thankfully somewhat predictable and swept Shinji into a crushing bear hug upon laying eyes on him. To which, for once, Shinji did not seem to object to. This mildly surprised Misato, especially considering it was in front of commander Ikari and sub commander Fuyuzuki. And Shinji noted, doctor Ritsuko.

"Its good to see you Misato" Shinji said to his guardian. Looking around he was given a weak smile from Ritsuko and a short nod from Fuyuzuki.

"Its good to see you well Shinji" stated Commander Ikari, in his usual monotone voice. The content of the comment momentarily startled Shinji, compassion?

Recovering quickly, Shinji simply said, "Thank you commander, I am glad to see that everyone is well." he stated calmly and clearly. "I am sure that you would like a debriefing as soon as possible, I am also very eager to find out about the condition of pilots Ayanami and Langley."

His professional tone caused all concerned to give him an intrigued look, even his father raised an eyebrow.

"Naturally, we will convene in my office immediately." said Commander Ikari, turning. All followed him into his office.

The de-brief went relatively quickly, Shinji described completely his combat with unit 02 and the final confrontation with the 17th angel Kaworu, including the final request of the angel to be destroyed by Shinji. He also elaborated about the appearance of Rei towards the end of the combat, and indicated that he had experienced strange visions and dreams after his loss of consciousness, but did not allude to the content. Ritsuko interjected to inform Shinji of the loss of communication during the battle, but stated nothing else. After he had finished it was Shinji's turn to ask questions.

"Where are Rei and Asuka? Are they ok?" he asked.

"Commander Katsuragi will inform you of all that she can." interjected Gendo. "As you may appreciate I must make use of this information immediately"

Shinji noted the second part of his fathers sentence, something his father would not usually find necessary to add.

"Certainly commander" said Shinji standing up "Doctor… Commander" he said nodding at the two people flanking the commander. Gendo watched his son for a second then turned to talk to Fuyuzuki. Misato gave Ritsuko a confused, sympathetic smile and turned to follow Shinji out of the room.

"Sh….Shinji? Are you feeling O.K?" asked Misato back in the foyer.

"Yes, why do you ask?" Shinji replied calmly.

"Its just that… I've never seen you so calm around the commander. You seem, different"

"You don't like how I handled myself?" asked Shinji, face still deadpan.

"No not at all, I think… you just tell me if anything's wrong O.K. You gave us…. a bit of a scare when you were out this time"

"This time?" asked Shinji with a smile.

"Well as much as you usually do when you're unconscious" she simply replied, smiling back.

Walking for a while they entered the cafeteria. Shinji turned to face Misato "You still haven't told me how Asuka or Rei are doing"

Without answering Misato led him to the food table, they loaded up their trays and headed for the window seat.

Sitting down, Misato explained how Rei had disappeared after the incident and that commander Ikari had found her a few hours later in the lower sections of terminal dogma. Shinji asked if she actually believed that. Misato, shocked, asked why, to which Shinji stated that his previous conversations with Kaji had lead him to believe that NERV and his father may not always be as truthful about there actions and motivations. Misato gave a nervous look around at this frank outburst and quietly told Shinji to leave it for now. A little more un-eased, she continued to say that at about the same time as the combat there had apparently been a mysterious mass blackout amongst a large number of staff at NERV and even some civilians in Tokyo 3. Many of these people remembered having strange dreams during these blackouts. The few people who had remained conscious had reported seeing what they describe as an energy wave at the start of the black out phase, which seemed to make sense as all electronic equipment had been disabled during that short time, even the Magi. Noting that Misato had trailed off the subject Shinji asked again about Asuka.

"Oh, I'm afraid there has been no upgrade in her condition Shinji, she's still in the hospital and is still not responding."

Shinji was obviously disappointed, though he did not really know why. Noting Misatos concern in his own, now downtrodden expression, Shinji changed the subject for her.

"So what did you dream about Misato?" he asked, slightly more cheerfully.

Misato expression turned serious, she was about to respond when her name could be heard being called over the speaker, Misato cursed under her breath. Stating it was better that they talk later anyway, she made her apologies and began to leave.

"Where is Rei now?" Shinji called after her.

"I don't know, we'll talk tonight!" she called back as she ran out of the room.

After eating a small meal Shinji began to walk the corridors. Eventually finding himself in the hospital wing, he searched out Asukas room and opened the door. There she was, lying on the hospital bed, her vacant eyes staring up at the ceiling. He walked over to her, looking down at her blank expression. Observing her he suddenly remembered a part of the vision, he shook his head in disgust, "could I really have done that?" he asked himself, He looked at his hands, then down at her, remembering the feelings of that vision, tears formed in his eyes.

"I really never did understand you did I." he gently stroked her cheek and sighed. "I never even understood myself."

He looked down at her sadly.

"Good luck, Asuka." he said finally, and with that he turned to leave. Before he could reach the door however someone opened it from the other side, startling him.

"Rei??"

She, for her part, did not appear startled at all, and was about to speak when Shinji did something rather unexpected, he gave her a hug. Eyes open in mild shock, she reacted stiffly, not moving a muscle, her cheeks turning a light shade of red. Letting go, and taking a step back Shinji noticed her reaction, he started to blush, despite his best efforts not to.

"Sorry, I'm just glad to see your O.K" he said sheepishly, though maintaining eye contact.

She stared at him blankly, the colour from her cheeks slowly fading, returning her to her usual in-descript expression.

"I have come to check on Pilot Soryus condition" she said, deadpan, almost as if the past event did not occur.

"That's nice of you" Shinji said with a smile. " I hope you also occasionally checked on my condition" he stated, more to see her reaction then anything.

"I have just come from your room" she said softly, moving past him to go to Asuka. `No reaction. oh well' he thought to himself. Shinji went back to Asukas bed where Rei was standing.

"Do you believe she will be O.K?" he asked after a while.

"I am not sure…. She is very troubled" Rei said simply.

They stood there for a while in silence.

"Listen Rei, lets go for a walk through the geo-front" said Shinji suddenly. He froze, not really recognising his own voice. `Why did I just say that?' he thought to himself. It then hit him, he hadn't considered himself in that statement, or not really. Since he had woken up, even after his interaction with his father, even after the sadness he had felt for Asuka, he had felt no self-pity. Granted he had felt emotions but they did not bring with them the other memories of sadness `for himself'. He did not let them, the new realisation that this self-sadness did not help him or anyone else, was enough to keep these thoughts away, allowing him to focus more on the people around him, on their feelings and desires. And so he stood still looking at Rei, who had turned to face him.

"We can talk here." she said.

Grabbing hold of his thoughts he searched his emotions, refusing any negative memories to surface in his mind he was simply left with a feeling, and what he was doing, felt right.

"Will you go if I ask you to?" he asked carefully.

To which she simply replied "Yes"

As always within the geo-front, it was a lovely day. Shinji saw that the hole left in the main NERV building by the battle against the 14th angel had almost been repaired.

Shinji began to ask Rei some questions in an attempt to catch up with the past few weeks. Though he had only been unconscious for a short while after the battle against Kaworu, he had effectively cut himself off from the outside world for the weeks prior to that fateful battle, unable to face the world he had come to fear and resent.

Talking to Rei, Shinji was able to find out, despite Reis notoriously short answers, that Toji had been moved to a hospital in Tokyo 3 so as to be closer to his family. Toji was recovering well, apparently reinvigorated by the upturn in his sisters condition and her return home, both pieces of news putting Shinji in an excellent mood. He also managed to find out about Hikari and Kensuke, both had tried to visit Shinji and Asuka but where unable to.

They continued through the woods, again in silence, though for once Shinji did not mind, he smiled as they walked. They finally arrived at their destination, a melon patch in a little clearing. The garden had grown a little wild since Shinji had last seen it, and the melons were looking a little wilted without constant watering, but they appeared salvageable.

"What is this place?" asked Rei.

"This used to be Kajis." answered Shinji. "He asked me to look after it for him just before he disappeared" he said, in a slightly downtrodden voice. Again the negative thoughts began to creep into his mind, but they were quickly dispelled, it seemed to be easier to disband them each time he did it. His mood quickly improving, he walked over to collect the watering can.

"Why would Mr Kaji have such a garden, we are provided with enough food?" asked Rei watching Shinji.

"It gave him a place to think I believe, whatever the reason he really did enjoy it here" Shinji said, beginning to fill the can from a tap nearby. "And I will try my best to look after it because…. Well he was a friend, some-one I cared for". Shinji stated while walking back from the tap. He stopped, that didn't sound like him, being so honest about his feelings? Why was he saying these things? Was this really him? He searched his mind, he had always cared for others and wanted to help, though why hadn't he. He analysed his memory, fear/uncertainty preoccupation with his own problems, helplessness. `Hmph', he thought to himself, so this was him, the real him… just without the baggage.

A new determined expression on his face, he began to water some of the more wilted melons. Stopping, he turned to find Rei standing there, hands together, looking at him.

"Things that are important to you, or others, don't always make sense. They don't have to" he said, starting to water some more melons.

"Like you visiting me or Asuka in the hospital.." he continued, letting the words sit.

After a short while Rei answered. "You are my fellow pilots, your condition is important for everyone"

Shinji stoped watering "Our condition could have easily been found out from the base computers, it did not require you to visit"

Again a pause. Sensing no reply he turned to face her again.

"Would you like to help me look after Kajis garden Rei?" he asked moving towards her. Sensing doubt (impressive considering her always blank expression) he touched her hands with his free one. "I would like that"

Her eyes widened slightly and her mouth opened a little. She stared at him for a few seconds, to which he did not flinch at all, nor turn red, a proud moment.

"If you wish" she said finally, not exactly the reaction Shinji was hoping for, but it was a start. He turned to start watering again.

"I do not know how to look after a garden." she said, looking around.

"Good, that makes two of us." said Shinji smiling "we will learn together."

And with that he handed her the watering can.

They continued to water the garden and remove some of the larger weeds that had grown there, eventually forming a small neat pile of them to one side. The sun was setting and they left the garden for the night, walking back to NERV HQ. They took the train to the surface together, discussing briefly the current training and testing program that Misato and Ritsuko had prepared for them, and to Shinji's delight gardening as well. Rei stated that she would find a book on the matter at school tomorrow.

They parted at the train station as Shinji wanted to get back to Misato. Shinji told Rei that he had enjoyed the day with her and wished her a good night, to which she simply replied.

"Good night Ikari-san" and walked off.

Shinji walked back home smiling, though thinking about his upcoming conversation with Misato brought him back into a serious mood. It struck him that he had not asked Rei about her presence at the combat at all, or indeed about her disappearance afterwards, but then again considering how well the day went he thought perhaps it was better he had not, maybe later.

Entering Misatos apartment Shinji found that going through the door felt somewhat ominous, PenPen was not there, and the place was very still. In-fact all of Tokyo 3 was still very empty after the last battle, it had remained strangely silent. Shinji walked to his room and looked inside, still the same old room, little to no decorations, simple furniture, neat, home. He walked over to Asuka's room, now that she was not there, there was no harm in a little peak. He glanced inside, noticing mostly an ungodly mess. He considered going inside but thought better of it, returning to the kitchen instead. After cleaning a little he glanced into the fridge, Misato usual fair adorned the shelves, beer and instant Ramen. Opening his wallet he found his NERV cash card, making a decision he left a note on the table and left.

Returning an hour later he found that Misato was still not home. In silence he prepared dinner and cleaned up the living area as best he could, while not attending to the food. After placing the food on simmer he went to his room to change into shorts and a T-shirt. The continual silence was starting to annoy him, and his eyes drifted down to his walkman laying on his bed.

It was funny that the music he enjoyed so much was tied to so many unhappy memories, he thought `maybe the silence wasn't so bad…?' He started to walk back towards the door and stoped. Why should the past have control of the things he enjoyed? He turned and stared at the STAD player, silence returned………. Silence, he was alone… `Well then' Shinji thought to himself.

Misatos car screeched to a halt in her spot outside her apartment complex. She sat there for a while, once more she was rather worried about talking to Shinji, more so then even Gendo, it was not a good feeling. She turned the car off and got out, immediately hearing muffled, but loud, jazz music coming from her apartment building.

"Now who was that?" Misato said. She thought she was the last, poor Shinji having to come home to that! She was going to tell whoever it was off for this. With a scowl on her face she headed for the elevator.

The scowl quickly left her however, and was replaced by a blank look as she neared the source of the music, her own apartment?

A little bemused she opened the door. Her mouth dropped, there was Shinji dancing around the room, a broom in hand. He was very animatedly sweeping the floor. She stood there for a while watching him, the current song finally came to an end and Shinji finished up with a twirl and a bow. Finished, he raised his head to see Misato. Shocked, Shinji instantly turned an amazingly deep shade of red and stumbled backwards, promptly falling over a chair.

`Well at least there's still a little bit of the old Shinji in him' thought Misato, recovering a little. Shinji, rubbing his head, got up, a giant sweat drop having formed.

"He He" he said. Shinji stumbled over to the stereo to turn down the music.

"…. Ah hey Misato I was just cleaning up a bit, I didn't hear you come in" he said, the red was starting to leave his face, being replaced by a shy smile. Looking around she noticed how clean the apartment was.

"Oh thank you Shinji" she said suddenly smiling. Shinji, glad for the change in topic, recovered from his embarrassment, placing the broom against the wall he said.

"Come on through, I kept dinner warm for you, but its been sitting awhile"

He moving into the kitchen

"Ok" said Misato following, if a little cautiously.

"Shinji started to serve the food while Misato took a seat, looking down she noticed a beer next to her plate.

"Go ahead." said Shinji noticing her look " I'm sure you've had a difficult day. But can you keep it down to 3 or 4?" He said with a smile.

Shinji served the food, after a while he sat down. Picking up his chopsticks he noticed Misatos inactivity. He turned to look up at her.

"Are, Are you O.K Shinji?" asked Misato finally.

" Um… yes why do you ask?"

"Its just that… well I'm always worried after you fight Angels and become….. well unconscious, but this time … I mean … well" she shifted uncomfortably in her chair " Well you were so down before the last Angel and then.. well you met Kaworu" she waited for a reaction from Shinji, non forthcoming she continued "And it seemed that you piked up a bit, and then well… having to kill him" she stopped again, watching him "And then when you finally did wake up you were so calm, almost happy, well not that I mind… but it has come as quite a shock, not only for me but for all… Its just that with such a massive change… well I'm just a little worried"

She looked at him thoughtfully.

"You said earlier that there was a massive blackouts amongst NERV personnel at the same-time that I was in combat." Shinji said pleasantly. "And that these people had dreams"

"Yes, we think so, but we could not see you for a long time" said Misato.

"Where you out as well?"

"Yes for a while I'm told"

"What did you see?" Asked Shinji. Misato hesitated for a second breaking eye contact, she took a bite to eat before answering.

"Well, like many other people reported, my dream wasn't really clear." she said after a while "But it was like I was awake, there were a lot of people in it, including you." she looked at him with a little bit of tension in her expression. "I can't remember that much but it was an interesting experience in many ways, I cant really explain it." she finished.

"Well mine was the same." replied Shinji. "Except I can remember most of mine" he looked at his food "it was very… personal"

He looked up just in time to see the edge of her mouth twitch, continuing he said. " But what happened to me was that I had to make a choice, but before I could, I had to understand my choices…"

Interested Misato interrupted. "In what way?"

"Well" he continued "As you have probably noticed, mentally I've been in a `bad place' for a while now… angry, confused and alone." His voice trailed off a little and Misato moved forward to place her hand over his, a sad expression forming on her face.

"It was not your fault, it was mine." said Shinji, reassuringly. "But until the dream, I could not see that, and once I did, I made a choice…… I chose to comeback"

He looked back at her.

"So.. You see its still me….." continued Shinji. "Just a me that can see a little more clearly……"

He gave her a weak smile. She looked at him for a second, considering his words, then moving so quickly that her stool cluttered to the floor, she grabbed the sitting boy, enveloping him into another bear-hug. He struggled slightly to stop from suffocating in her bosom. Releasing him she looked down into Shinjis obviously blushing face. Raising her finger and bending over in that shamelessly Misato pose she said cheerfully

"Well at least know I know its you!" she said, sitting back down and giving him a wink.

"And I can get back to some serious unwinding!" she said, cracking open the beer-can and downing a huge swig. "OOOOWWIEEE!! AHHH!! That's better!" she said slamming it down.

Shinji just looked at her and laughed. So much for a serious discussion.

The rest of the dinner went smoothly, Shinji found out a little more about Tojis condition and Misato informed Shinji that Ritsuko had returned and had speculated that the energy source, which had caused the momentary blackout, had been caused by the battle. She didn't give any further information about where Ritsuko had been. They both continued the up-beat mood through dinner, afterwards both cleaning up, eventually they ended up out on the veranda enjoying the warm evening. At which point Shinji's mood suddenly turned more serious.

"Are you aware that Rei is at least part Angel?" asked Shinji suddenly, looking out at the city.

Misato did not move, but her expression hardened, eventually she said.

"I suspected as much, when I was told about the appearance of the 3rd AT field during your battle……. but no, I was not told"

"It makes you wonder about a lot of things we may not have been told" said Shinji.

"It's not good to think like that Shinji, I can't even talk to Ritsuko any-more, she is always with someone….. And that kind of thinking has cost Kaji……….. his life" she completed quietly. Shinji gave her a heartfelt look, then returned his gaze to the city.

"There is something, I didn't tell you about my dreams………… There were visions as well, this is not over….. NERV will be attacked, and if we do nothing, we are all going to die"

She looked across at him, but his expression, nor his position had changed.

"With all the things that have been happening lately that actually doesn't sound crazy…….." She said after a while, her tone soft and thoughtful. "But in the end there is nothing we can do, there is simply too much we do not know, the lies are too twisted into themselves, I don't think I could recognise the truth even if I saw it." she said helplessly.

"I know…. That's the problem" replied Shinji.

"We can not influence the outcome any more, at least not in a way we could except" he added remembering some of his vision, shuddering. Misato watched him.

"There is only one person who can at this point" he continued, turning to face her "My father…" he said.

Her expression hardened but her eyes remained soft. "He can not be approach, you know that better then most." she said in an even tone.

Shinjis eyes dropped as some of the painful memories returned despite his best efforts. Misato continued "There was a time just after the battle however, when he seemed different, disorientated, unsure, it was the first time that I have ever seen him like that, though soon his old steely self returned."

Shinji recovered his thoughts "I suspected that may have been the case, and that's why I think we can do something" he said, a new determined expression forming on his face. Misato noted that it reminded her somewhat of Gendo, not a particular pleasant thought.

"What did you have in mind?" she asked, a little unsure.

"It's only an idea at the moment, though when the time comes I am probably going to need your help."

He searched her expression waiting for a reaction.

"I have little to believe in any more……." she said, her expression downcast "At times like these all you have are the people you care for" she looked at him "Yes Shinji I will help, whatever you think you need."

She smiled. Shinji was a little surprised at Misatos statement, offering help even before he explained his plan. `She'll probably change her mind once she hears it' he thought to himself.

"It does not bother you that Rei is part Angel?" asked Misato, returning her gaze to the city. Shinji back in the present looked back out onto the city, saying.

"Well, back when I did not know for sure what she was it used to bother me… a lot. Now that I'm even less sure, it doesn't bother me at all" he said. Misato gave Shinji a confused look.

"Well whatever used to scare me about her before, well……… was put on hold, as I wasn't sure if that's what she was any more or at least what I thought she was" Shinji shook his head as if to get rid of a headache "It all became too confusing, nothing made sense, even the old way I looked at her, so I gave up…………. Now I just think of her from the things I have seen, regardless of what she is" Shinji said, looking back up. "And you know, that's not scary at all" he said.

Misato gave Shinji a thoughtful look.

There was a pause and Misato stretched animatedly. "Well I'm glad, but this is all just a little too serious…" she said in a more animated voice "I'm off to have a soothing bath"

Though she was not quite as happy go lucky as Shinji knew she could be. She gave Shinji a wink and walked back inside.

"Goodnight Misato" said Shinji as he returned to look at the city skyline.

Shinji did not dream that night but slept quietly in his bed.

The next morning was a return to normal for both of them with the usual breakfast routine taking place, both cheerfully enjoying it. Misato talked about how she was considering bringing PenPen back, which Shinji agreed, would be a great idea. Shinji indicated that he was going to go back to school today, which only mildly surprised Misato, she offered him a lift but he said he would rather walk and enjoy the warm weather. After breakfast she quickly reminded him of the tests Ritsuko had organised for him that evening and left with a cheerful goodbye.

Shinji was a little apprehensive about school, unsure of what to expect. He still had not talked to Toji since the incident. His fears were unfounded however as he got a rousing reception from Kensuka. Happy to see him Kensuka bombarded him with questions as usual, though Shinji was able to get in a few of his own and found out that Toji was recovering well. Kensuka said that he should come to visit tonight, but Shinji said he was unable too, perhaps tomorrow. Shinji asked if Toji was angry with him, to which Kensuka replied that Toji was told that it was the dummy system that had taken him out, and so he had no grudge against Shinji.

"Of corse not stupid, it wasn't your fault!" said Kensuka, dismissing the idea "Wow Toji inside the 13th angel… who would have thought it!" he said excitedly. This dispelled most of Shinjis fears regarding Toji. It was good to get back to the old pace, though after a while Shinji noticed that Hikari had not come to greet him. Finally able to excuse himself from Kensuka Shinji made his way over to Hikari. She appeared a little uncertain about him in a shy worried way. But Shinji tried his best to be up beat, giving her a broad smile.

"Hello Hikari, nice to see you again" said Shinji.

"Oh. Hello Shinji, its good to see you well" Hikari replied, smiling weakly.

"I'm surprised you didn't come over" Shinji said a little uncertainly.

"Well its just…………. it IS good to see you!" she said again reassuringly, though almost immediately she returned to her worried expression. "It's just I'm still worried about Asuka……. I haven't been able to find anything out for so long….. I just didn't want to darken the mood so quickly" she looked down. "I mean so many bad things have happened."

"Its O.K" said Shinji sitting down next to her. "I'm afraid that Asuka is still in a coma of some kind" Her frown deepened upon hearing this.

"Though they think she has a good chance of coming out of it." he added. She lifted her head to look at him.

"She is a fighter after all." he said smiling. She gave him a weak smile. Just then Rei entered the room, immediately followed by the teacher. Duty taking over the class rep made her usual announcement (for the benefit of the, still, few students), Shinji returned to his desk.

The rest of the school day past quickly, with Rei being her usual vacant self and the teacher giving his usual speech on second impact.

After saying goodbye to Kensuka and Hikari, who were off to see Toji, Shinji headed off to NERV. Making his way out of the main school gate he was a little surprised to find Rei, waiting for him. After greeting each other the two walked together. Walking in silence Shinji was given an even bigger surprise, a conversation actually started by Rei! She had been to the library to find a book on gardening and had borrowed three. Their conversation actually lasted until the got to NERV were they briefly broke up to change into there plug suits. The tests were performed quickly, with Shinji easily surpassing his best since ratios, Rei naturally held on to her steady values. There was minimal interaction between the pilots and anyone else. Though Shinji noticed that Dr Ritsuko appeared to be constantly on edge. They finished up and Shinji and Rei left to tend to Kajis garden, spending an hour weeding and watering. The time went quickly, as there was still a lot of work to do on the garden, and before Shinji knew it was time to go home. Saying goodbye to Rei Shinji left for home. The day ended calmly with Shinji and Misato sharing a nice meal, both not wishing to start any deep conversations, the mood was light and relaxed.

The next day there were no requirements to go to NERV. So Shinji was able to visit Toji after School, still very nervous about seeing Toji again, he required a friendly prod from Hikari to first enter the room. Nervously he laid eyes on Toji, who was sitting on his bed reading a book, Shinjis eyes moved from Tojis face to were his left leg used to be, and still was? Or at least something that resembled his leg. He looked back up at Tojis face, which had now changed into a deep scold. Toji crossed his arms, and in a hostile voice he barked.

"So here is the person who calls himself my friend!"

Shinji, his worst fears realised, looked decidedly uncomfortable and started to back away when he heard someone sniggering. Turning, Shinji could see Kensuka suppressing a laugh at the door. Turning further to Hikari Shinji found her with her arms crossed and an unimpressed expression on her face.

"Sorry Shinji" Hikari said. "But I couldn't convince these two not to do it, and they made me promise to play along" she said apologetically. Shinji, confused, returned is gaze to Toji who was now wearing a broad smiling, and also standing?

"Toji?!" Said Shinji shocked.

"Just kidding, it's good to see your O.K." said Toji cheerfully. And before he could react Shinji was in a head lock, receiving a knuckle rub on his head from Toji. Finally breaking the grip, Shinji rubbed his sore head, smiling.

"I'm sorry for what happened to you Toji, I still haven't said that" said Shinji apologetically.

"Its O.K" replied Toji. "It wasn't your fault, Katsuragi told me that you didn't put up a fight, you were willing to die instead of attack the angel" Toji smiled at him. "That meant a lot man."

"Ya well… maybe if I'd remained in control….. and attacked" said Shinji lowering his eyes. "I would have been able to get you out better then that damn dummy plug system did" he finished, a little subdued.

"Well we can't change the past…" reflected Toji in a determined voice, though trailing off a bit.
"And hey, I'm alive!" he said cheering up. "And my sisters now visiting me in hospital!" he said laughing..

Relieved at his friends positive outlook Shinji finally relaxed. They continued catching up, with Toji talking about his recovery program.

In the middle of Tojis explanation Kensuka interrupting to say how cool his artificial limbs were.

"Ya who would have guessed that NERV actually came through for me" Toji stated, a little quieter then the rest of the conversation.

Shinji noted that Toji glanced over at Hikari at the end of that sentence.

They continued to catch up, Hikari remained mostly quiet throughout the visit, but joined in occasionally. A considerable time later Shinji and Kensuka got ready to leave, as it was approaching dinnertime. Hikari made an excuse to stay behind, so the two boys left on their own. Slightly startled at Hikari remaining behind, Shinji asked Kensuka about it. Kensuka told him that she had visited Toji more than he had, and that there was something definitely going on between the two, but left it at that, Kensuka even restraining himself from any sly comments about the two lovebirds. Maybe Shinji wasn't the only one that had changed, he thought to himself.

When he finally left Kensuka with a short goodbye Shinji noticed the time. It was too late to go to the garden, and he felt bad for having not met up with Rei today, he should go and see how she was. Shinji still felt a little uneasy about going to Reis place, but he pushed it into the back of his mind.

"Oh come on." He said to himself, it was on his way home.

He arrived at her door. Pausing before he knocked, he noted the construction noises still in the background `would they ever be finished with that'!?

Focusing back on the door, he knocked loudly. After a short while Rei answered the door, as always, in her school uniform.

"Ikari?" she said

"Hey Rei…. Um, I'm sorry I was not at the garden today, but my visit to Toji took much longer then I thought." he said.

"How is the 4th pilot" Rei asked blankly. Shinji, not prepared for the question, had to think about the response.

"He's going very well, he's moving around no problem now". he said still standing there. There was a slight pause.

"There is no school tomorrow, should we meet at the garden earlier?" asked Rei.

"Sure" he said smiling at the sudden enthusiasm (for Rei anyway). "Perhaps we can meet at 11:00 O'clock we don't have to be at NERV HQ till 5pm."

To this Rei simply nodded, and continued to look at Shinji.

"Well ok then" stated Shinji as he started to move away "I'll see you later."

About to turn around he stopped. Turning back Shinji added. "Listen Rei, would you like to join Misato and me for dinner tonight?"

Rei's blank expression did not change, but Shinji looked for a reaction to his question.

"It is not necessary" she said simply.

"I know." he said, expecting the response "But you know it might be… nice…… come on" he said encouragingly. She looked blankly at him for a second then disappeared from the door. Shinji was a little worried that this represented a non favourable response, but she returned moments later, closing the door behind her. Walking up beside him she said "If you wish."

That line was starting to annoy him a bit, though she was coming, so he let it slide, together the two left for Misatos.

The evening was a subtle affair, Misato was a little surprised to see Rei but warmed to the idea quickly.

"The more the merrier" she had said simply. And there was even a fourth for dinner. PenPen was back! Totally overjoyed at being back, PenPen gave Shinji and Rei an excited hug. Rei looked down in surprise but gave PenPen a pat at Misatos prompting. Misato started chatting to Rei, who just sat and listened tentatively, or gave one-word answers. Shinji brought an end to the one sided dialog, asking her to come and help in the kitchen.

Completely unsure of what to do to help, Shinji had to give instructions, which Rei followed diligently. The cooking went quickly and soon they were all sitting in front of a table loaded with food. During dinner Misato asked Rei what she usually ate at home, to which she replied instant noodles. Misato stated with authority that that wasn't enough for a growing girl, to which Rei replied that it was adequate, predicably. Shinji suddenly started laughing and both girls turned to look at him, looking at Misato he said that it was hypocritical of her to pick on Reis eating, as that was all she ate when Shinji did not cook. Misato gave Shinji a death glare and he quickly calmed down, looking down at his food with a sweat drop forming. Luckily PenPen distracted her by dancing around the end of the table begging for food. Without thinking about it, Rei took some food from her plate and gave it to PenPen, who promptly gobbled it up. Shinji and Misato exchanged dumbfounded looks, and then a sly grin crept across Misatos face.

"You've done it now Rei" she said "He won't leave you alone for the rest of the night now"

Rei looked at her blankly. It was true, for the rest of the night PenPen came up to Rei, who, unsure how to react, simply gave him a pat. Rei helped clean up, but soon after finishing she simply said.

"I think I should be going home now"

Misato reacting quickly, stated she would drive her home, and insisted on it before Rei could give her standard response. Misato got up, moving to the door, Rei turned to face Shinji

"Thank you for inviting me Shinji… it was … nice"

Beaming Shinji replied "Any time Rei, I'll see you tomorrow."

Before leaving however Rei was given one last hug by PenPen, she knelt down and stroked his head a little "Goodnight PenPen" and with that she got up and left.

On the drive to Reis apartment neither Misato nor Rei spoke, though as they pulled up to Reis apartment Misato finally said.

" I hope you know you're welcome anytime Rei"

The car came to a stop.

"Thank you for the dinner, and for driving me home" said Rei opening the door. Misato leaned across to speak to the exiting Rei.

"Rei" she said. Rei stopped.

"These are difficult times, and I just want you to know that if you need anything… or someone to talk to………. I am also there for you too" Misato finished. Rei paused for a second, then said

"Thank you commander Katsuragi" and left. Misato watched her go.

The next day found Shinji preparing some lunch for himself and Rei. This activity prompted some teasing from Misato, though after a while she disappeared, returning with a basket and blanket. She stated that if he was going to woe a girl he should do it properly, this in turn prompted a very dark look from Shinji.

He arrived at Kajis garden to find Rei already working, she had done a great deal the previous day and the garden looked neat and tidy. After they did some more overturning and pruning, as recommended by one of Reis books, it was barely 12:30 and they were finished already. Shinji suggested a walk along the lake in the geo-front to work up an appetite for the lunch he had brought along, as he had never been to the far side of the lake. They arrived at the edge of the lake and saw a clearing someway along the shore. Deciding to have their lunch there they made their way along the bank. The going was tougher then expected with the terrain-becoming wild and rocky. The day had gotten very warm (the geo-front weather closely mimicking the outside conditions) and by the time they got there, both were panting and sweating. Placing the basket under a large oak Shinji sat down on the grass and looked at the lake longingly.

"If only we brought our bathers" he said absent mindedly.

"I do not see that as a problem" Rei said beside him, also looking at the lake. With that, she suddenly stood and started to remove her clothing. Shinji froze, suddenly remembering that day at her apartment, images danced across his mind.

"Um…." said Shinji, not knowing what to say, and running out of time he quickly said. "Your right Rei! ….. Ah, we can swim in our undergarments! The sun will dry them out soon enough."

She was about to unfasten her bra and stoped, looking down at the cringing form of Shinji. She folded her clothes and calmly walked into the water. Relieved at having avoided a probable terminal nosebleed Shinji remembered how warm he was and promptly removed most of his clothing, slipping into the water as quickly as he could. Rei was in about waist deep and was washing herself calmly. Shinji tried to ignore his own mind and dived under the water, coming up refreshed. Rei finished by dipping under and swam over to a large log, half submerged in the water, next to the shore. Reaching it she leaned on it lazily, the log being in the shade of an overhanging tree. Shinji circled for a while clearing his thoughts, coming to a decision he made his way over and leaned on the log next to Rei, staring out across the lake at NERV HQ with her.

They rested there for a while, as birds chirped overhead.

"You know what happened to me after the battle with Kaworu don't you" said Shinji, breaking the pleasant silence.

"No." she replied. Shinji wrinkled his brow, genuinely surprised. Thinking, he reconsidered his question.

"You know about my dreams and visions afterwards though"

"Yes" she replied. Shinji paused, contemplating the next round of questioning.

"Do you……. have any idea what my father has planed for you…. or NERV?"

"No, I do not" she said. Shinji thought that for once there appeared to be a little edge to her voice, though in which emotional direction, he was unsure.

"Rei" said Shinji, turning to face her. She was looking at him, her face was still without emotion though her eyes hinted at something, giving her a more human quality. Deciding that he had no choice but to go through with the question Shinji took a deep breath and continued.

"Are you an Angel Rei?" he finally asked, he was trying to remain steady, though his uncomfortableness was showing through, and Reis piercing stare was not helping at all! She continued to hold the stare for a short while, then her eyes wavered and she lowered her gaze.

"I……. I'm not sure, I don't think so" she said, stammering a little. Shinji, taking in these new signs of emotion as well as her lack of conviction in her thoughts, did not move. His mind raced with what to say next, he could not decide, and so he said nothing. They sat there for a while and before long Shinji saw Reis expression harden back to its old self. She suddenly pushed herself off the log and made her way to the shore. Shinji didn't knowing what to do, he stalled for a second then quickly made his way after her, catching her halfway up-to their clothes. Reaching her, but still unsure how to react, he simply grabbed her arm.

"Rei……" said Shinji. She stopped. Turning she looked down at where his hand grabbed her arm, then up into his face. His expression was worried but kind.

"Are you not afraid of me?" she asked with a cold edge to her voice. Shinji quickly remembered back to how he had sometimes reacted around her, suddenly feeling ashamed. His expression turned serious and he looked her square in the eye.

"No Rei, I'm not"

He released her arm to take hold of her hand, squaring up to her.

"I'm sorry for how I sometimes reacted to you before, I was just confused and not thinking clearly."

He paused for a second, framing his words. "I am still not sure what the truth is, so all I can believe is what I see….. And what I see is someone I like" he stammered and blushed a little despite himself. "Someone I care for" he continued, recovering slightly "You're a good person Rei that's enough for me" he said, finishing with a weak smile. Rei looked at him blankly, her eye's softening a bit and a very small smile (For Rei a massive feat!) appeared on her face.

Shinji, suddenly noticing his close proximity to Rei as well as the fact his hands were still warped around hers, blushed. He released his grip while taking a step back.

" Ahhh.. well" he said, fidgeting a bit while looking around "We should lie down to dry off a bit before we eat…….. We shouldn't get the blanket wet." he said a little hurriedly, not looking at her again. Spotting a nice piece of soft grass nearby he quickly lay down on his back, placed his hands behind his head and closed his eyes, hard. After the seriousness of the conversation his mind had had time to notice that there was a very attractive wet young lady standing right next to of him, wearing nothing but white under-wear! His brow wrinkled in the mental effort to derail the sudden train of thought.

He heard her lying down beside him and let out a long breath, it had gone better then he thought. She had actually smiled?! Something he had never expected. Then he froze, something-wet came to rest on his shoulder. Opening his eye's he looked down to see a mass of blue wet hair. Rei was lying 45 degrees to him on her side with her head resting on his shoulder and her hand up against his stomach. His mind went completely blank and he stopped breathing, left with nothing else he listened to the birds overhead and felt the rhythm of Reis soft breathing, a decidedly lovely experience.

He left it at that. Maintaining his empty mind he began breathing again calmly, enjoying the experience. Finding himself entirely too relaxed after a little time, he dozed off.

He awoke a short time later to find himself dry and alone. Looking up he saw Rei, now fully clothed, setting up the lunch he had prepared. Quickly dressing himself he joined her under the tree. They began to eat and after a short while Shinji started to tentatively ask Rei about her past, and what she new about NERV. She appeared to be enthusiastic (as much as giving more then her usual one word answers was), telling Shinji as much as she could. He was surprised at how little she actually knew about NERV, seemingly filling her in on many details. To his surprise she started to ask questions herself, and together they formulated a slightly clearer picture of the situation. Though granted, still only as clear as mud.

She apparently had not seen most of the vision that Shinji had experienced after his fight with Kaworu. This annoyed Shinji a little, as he was still in slight doubt about what it was he himself had seen. As for her relationship with his father it was much more mechanical then he had thought, with only minimal parental sentiments being shown. `Big surprise' thought Shinji.

He continued to say that he believed that the NERV organisation and his father were plotting something big, something different, but with the same outcome. Shinji honestly believed both the organisation and his father did not fully understand, so did not know, the consequences of their future actions. He also believed there was only one way to avoid this undesirable outcome, and this meant action against his father. Shinji observed Rei closely after this revelation, knowing her previous allegiances to Gendo. Rei asked what kind of action was necessary, upon which Shinji asked what she had done during his fight with Kaworu, and why? She said she had apparently extended her AT Field in an attempt to protect Shinji and remembered little else. Shinji smiled at that. Continuing he said that he suspected that her AT field coupled with his location within the Eva and the distortion of Kaworus AT field had allowed him, contact, of some kind.

"Contact with who?" she asked.

"I'm not sure, with everyone I think, with myself.." he said a little unsure. Shinji continued to explain how Kaworu had referred to the AT fields as barriers to the soul, the envelopment and distortion of the 3 AT fields in close proximity had allowed for some kind of window for himself. A window out, and in a way a window into, his own soul.

Whatever the reason he believed that this same type of `experience' would alter his fathers course from the visions Shinji had seen. A change from which, Shinji thought, any alternative was more pleasant.

"I think it's the only chance we have"

He looked at her awaiting a response. Responding only a short while later Rei said "If you think that is what we must do"

Shinji thought about Reis answer, no wonder she simply went along with what his father said, she was kept so much in the dark that she did not know any better. Though from the little he had seen she was quite able to make up her own mind on issues she had some scrap of information about.

"Do you want to stop these events from happening?" he asked, looking at her. She thought for a second or so.

"I don't think that the outcome that will occur without our immediate action is desirable." she said simply, and that was enough for Shinji.

Time had flown by and the (sun) was setting. Shinji invited Rei around for dinner again, to which she agreed and they headed off home.

Misato was still not back, so the two started dinner. Misato arrived just as they were setting the table. She appeared glad to see Rei again and they all sat down to eat. Soon the mood turned serious as Shinji informed Misato of his earlier discussion with Rei, including what Rei had told him about her actions during the combat with Kaworu. And finally about Shinjis desire to act against his father. Misato was surprised to say the least, moving her shocked gaze from Shinji to Rei.

"You know what you are suggesting aren't you?" asked Misato, her serious expression taking over.

"You know what will happen to us afterwards?" she continued.

"Compared to the alternative, I see little choice" said Shinji, remembering his vision of Misatos body, shuddering slightly at the memory.

"But you are not sure… of your visions, or if your plan will work." Misato stated, a sense of helplessness in her voice.

Rei suddenly spoke, for the first time since Shinji started his long explanation.

"I am not sure for what purpose I have been created"

Both Shinji and Misato turned to look at her.

"But given all that I have seen I am sure that it is for something very important, and I believe now, undesirable." she said, the disappointment evident in her voice. They both stared at her for a while, while she simply continued eating. Chewing slowly she stopped for a second and without looking up added. "From what information I know, I believe Shinjis plan will work. In that it will afford Gendo the same experience as Shinji had." Rei looked up from her food, focusing on Misato. "The full experience of what you yourself thought you dreamt."

Misato expression turned serious, she contemplated the situation at NERV at the moment, why was it still going? The 17th angel was dead, shouldn't it be over? She thought about Ritsuko and then back to Kaji.

"What a shit situation" she said out aloud. Still running blind, with no idea of what was going on or for what she was working for. She thought hard.

What could she do, surely this plan was too crazy, she would be arrested for sure, or maybe worse. Could she just leave? She was young, she could go away, start all over….. Or could she? `Look at Ritsuko' thought Misato, causing a frown at the thought of her friends situation. Joining NERV was a life long commitment, literally.

"Ha" she mumbled under her breath.

Her mind turned to Gendo, `Bastard!' she thought to herself. The more she thought of him the more she wanted to hit him in the face. These lies, so so sick of all the lies! She had continued working for NERV, but why? To kill Angels? Well they were all dead, except for Rei.

Misato looked over that the young girl, still eating.

`God, was there nothing to believe in any more!' she thought. Misato couldn't ignore the situation any more, this had been the first time she had really thought about it. In her heart she knew there was no way out, that's why she had simply continued working, simply ignoring the grievances she felt about her situation. But she had continued Kajis work! Seeking the truth amongst the lies, the problem was that every-time she found out a new fact, the more complicated the picture became, and the more lies she was confronted with. She had reached the end, her current investigations had been risky enough, anything else would be almost suicidal, without many more results. And what of this plan of Shinji's, wasn't it suicide? How did he know it was going to work?

Misato looked from Rei to Shinji, he had started to eat again, allowing Misato time to think.

Barriers to the soul, Shinji had said, what the hell? This was way over Misatos head. But then again considering all she had seen, all she had learnt, it wasn't as strange as it seemed. Misato remembered back to her own (dream) during the blackout. She shuddered slightly as some of it came back to her, was it really the truth, was it really what she was like, her motives her desires. She shook her head to clear the thoughts, she could still not accept these thoughts. `Imagine you had to, that would be hell…..'

Misato grinned slightly at the thought of Gendo going through it, then frowned slightly as she remembered Shinji already had.

Well Rei seemed to be confident It would work, and she never stated any facts without being almost 100% confident. `What was Rei anyway? Was she an Angel?' Misato thought, getting slightly annoyed. `Oh for the love of god! To only ONCE know the truth, to only once see the whole picture, to know what it was she was searching for!

`I would give my life, to only have the truth in my hand for an instant!' Misato thought to herself. Her connection to Kaji suddenly felt almost tangible.

`Well was there anyway forward?' she asked herself. Her expression turned downtrodden. No, no matter how long she stayed with NERV she would never see the truth, Kaji had known that, and it had cost him his life. Thinking back to now she also felt that "something" was building, whatever the truth was it was going to happen soon, and without her knowing it. This was her one and only chance to ever know, as crazy as the plan was. What was the truth worth to her?

"Would we find out the truth about NERV and SEELE?" asked Misato suddenly. Shinji was not expecting the question and had to finish his mouthful before answering. He thought about the answer for a second, remembering his mindset just after the incident, and indeed his current mindset.

"I believe so" he said finally, he looked at her, a little anxiously. He didn't have to wait long.

"I'm in" she said finally.

Shinji, relieved, discussed the finer details of the preliminary plan, He did not think they had much time so he planed to act during the next synchronisation test in two days time. Working together, and discussing for a considerable time all three formulated a plan. Actually, in the end, it was quite simple, as all agreed early that an escape plan was impossible, and so irrelevant. After formulating the plot they were each lost in their own thoughts. Unable to continue eating, they started to clean up in silence. Pen Pen was still hanging around Rei, remembering the food from last night, she took some of the leftovers kneeling down to give him some. Misato looked across to see her stroking his head, and smiling? Misato was shocked, more so then when Shinji was talking to her… Her train of thought completely derailed she looked from Shinji to Rei. Shinji was quietly drying the dishes, Rei was patting PenPen, this tiny, insignificant scene settled a lot of her remaining doubt on the matter. Her mind largely cleared Misato perked up a bit.

"How about we all go out tomorrow… to the beach!" she said with a great big smile.

Shinji turned to look at her "To the beach?" he asked questioningly, he had been lost in his own thoughts.

"Sure why not?!" said Misato more enthusiastically. "We'll stay in Motsumato for the night, I have tomorrow off. And heck, if were going to go though with this crazy scheme we may as well enjoy our last day of freedom!"

Shinji looked doubtful.

"Come on you two think about it, tomorrow we spend up big!" Misato continued. "No matter what happens after tomorrow, NERV accounting isn't going to be able to bill me this time!"

Listening to her own rhetoric, she began to like the idea more and more. It was rubbing off on Shinji as well, who looked at Rei expectantly.

`Why not? It sounds like fun' he thought, better then moping around.

"O.K Misato, sounds like fun" he said with a smile, both turned to look at Rei, who simply said.

"If you wish"

Both beamed at her. Misato spent the rest of the night planing the next day and insisted that Rei stay over so that they could get up early the next day. Rei stated that she did not have her bathers. To which Misato replied that she didn't need any and that she would buy everything the next day, it would be more fun that way. They set up the couch for Shinji to sleep in (Shinji being volunteered by Misato, but not really minding). Everyone avoided the subject of Asukas room, not wishing to discuss it at that moment. And so soon they were all changed and into bed (on Misatos insistence) Shinji said goodnight to Rei and Misato and lay down on the couch, Pen Pen slumped next to him. The house was finally silent. Shinji settled into his temporary bed, staring up at the ceiling.

`Bugger it' Shinji thought to himself. `The big showdown is two days away!'

He was going to look forward to just tomorrow, and with these thoughts in his head, he promptly fell asleep.

Authors notes:

[[This first bit might seem a bit slow to some, but I felt is was necessary for character and plot development, plus there should have been enough packed in to keep most people amused. A lot of fan-fics don't bother explaining why or how characters change, and how plot-lines are formed and I felt that these development are critical for a smooth complex story. Don't worry, it speeds up from here on in!]]

1.2 Fun in the sun

Authors notes:

[[Some more character development, but its not so heavy for this part, time to have some fun!]]

The next day proved to be a whirlwind of activity, enjoyment and surprises. The three travellers all piled into the car early and drove off to Motsimoto beach. The roads were relatively empty, with few people travelling in these dangerous times. The trip was accompanied by loud joyous music from the radio, and impromptu singing from Misato, as well as mild ribbing and mock arguments about music selection between Shinji and Misato. Shinji was really starting to liven up, and the mood was infectious, PenPen was jumping around the back seat and even Rei had a small smile on her face. When they arrived they found the beach surprisingly full, as the beautiful day had drawn even the most reluctant people out into the sun.

The first order of business was shopping, with Misato delighting in the concept of being able to buy Rei a new outfit. She placed Shinji and PenPen on two stools, forcing them to play fashion judge as Rei was presented to them in an endless selection of bathing suits, from old models to bikini. Misato found the bikini smashing (after seeing Shinjis reaction, turning bright red) she spun Rei around a couple of times enthusiastically. Rei, unused to this sort of rapid movement, was a little stunned, but gave a smile. Steadying she pointed over to a sporty two piece, light blue with white trims. She tried it on, looking at herself in the full length mirror, Shinji and Misato noticing a small smile on her face. Seeing them staring at her Rei blushed a little. Shinji, enthused suggested a sarong, and Misato found a wide brimmed straw hat (remembering Reis complexion) and the outfit was complete. They all agreed, it was a stunning selection. Misato payed without even looking at the bill, and they headed straight for the beach.

It was a lovely day with plenty of sunbathers out (they hired some chairs and a sun umbrella). It was a relaxing day full of swimming, for Shinji close to shore, and even playing with a Frisbee. Rei becoming deadly accurate after being taught the basics by Shinji. About lunchtime Rei and Misato went to get ice creams while Shinji worked on a sandcastle. They were gone for quite some time. They finally returned with Misato claiming that they had just taken time with their selection, Shinji knew this was a lie, but let it go. The day passed and towards evening Shinji complained that they had not had a proper lunch. Misato suggested they grab a hotel room, change and head out for an early dinner. Jumping in the car Misato quickly headed for the most expensive resort in the area, a very fancy establishment right on the beach itself. Without asking about the cost she ordered three adjoining rooms with a combined balcony, Winking at Shinji as she handed over the NERV card.

"May as well get something back from the company while I can" she said, smiling.

The rooms were stunning, the nicest place Shinji had ever been in by a long stretch. He ran out onto the balcony to see Misato coming out of her own room, all smiles. They exchanged impressions of their rooms, grinning all the way, and went over to Reis room. She was standing in the bathroom looking at the spa and massive mirror over the vanity.

"It is very large" she said when asked how she liked her room. Misato told them both to hurry up, and herded Shinji back to his room, giving him some bags, telling him to put-on the contents and meet them in the Foyer in 30 minutes. The bag contained very expensive looking new shoos, belt, a watch, charcoal dress pants and a mauve colour dress shirt, silk. Shinji admired the clothes, placing them on his massive double bed.

So that's where they where while I was building a sand castle, he thought to himself.

Considering the time, he drew himself a bath in the spa, filling it with bubbles, and generally having a ball. He spent 5 minutes getting ready, brushing his teeth, getting his hair in order and putting on his clothes. Admiring himself in the mirror for a second he smiled and headed out towards the foyer.

The foyer itself was massive, with grand marble clad pillars and ornate decorations. Admiring the architecture Shinji didn't even notice that the girls were 15min late. When they did show up however he almost fell back into the fountain he was sitting on the edge of.

Descending the stairs were two of the loveliest woman Shinji had ever seen. Misato was wearing a open shouldered black evening dress, cut long with an elegant part, sparkling sequins spun into swirling patterns making the whole dress shimmer. Rei, equally stunning, was in a slightly shorter blue evening dress, the material see through, blue sequins were spun into elaborate patterns massing at strategic points to hide her modesty, very elegant. The picture was complete with modest but sparkling jewellery, an amazing site. Shinji noticed however that both of the girls' hair were only slightly more kempt then he was used too. They had only had half an hour after all. Shinji went towards them, jaw still slaking he stumbled slightly over a rug. Misato giggled.

"You two…….. you two look fantastic!" said Shinji, not hiding his admiration. Staring at each one of them in turn `They looked even better close up!' he thought to himself

"You don't look that bad yourself young man." replied Misato, leaning back to admire Shinji.

"So shall we go for dinner?" Misato instructed more then asked. She grabbed Shinjis hand, as he was still preoccupied with staring at the two.

Dinner turned out to be a lavish affair, with seafood and salads so varied that Shinji could not even try them all. The restaurant itself was massive, with a large central dance floor one side of which had the bar. Misato was drinking some expensive wine and had convinced Shinji and Rei to join her for one glass, though the two stopped at that, the taste not agreeing with them. They finished dinner and sat watching the few people dancing when Misato suddenly hit on an Idea. Standing up suddenly she grabbed Shinjis hand and headed to the dance floor. Shinji, caught unaware, didn't have time to protest and stumbled after her.

"Misato!" he said exasperated, but it was too late. They were already standing in the middle of the dance floor, Misatos arms in position.

"Oh, don't complain" she said scoldingly " I want to dance, and don't say you can't, I saw you dance with Asuka remember" she said looking down.

"But that was a different" complained Shinji.

"Oh bull! It's all the same, just move to the music." she said dismissingly, slightly ignoring him she continued, stating "Listen I'll show you the moves and then you lead O.K"

Before he could reply she had already started to sway to the music, leading Shinji around the room. At first he stumbled and miss stepped but with a little prompting he quickly found the rhythm. The first song ended and a second more festive piece began. Paying attention to her motions Shinji quickly got the hang of it, and after a while Shinji even had time to look at the other dancers, taking in their moves as well. Noticing Shinji's lack of attention Misato stoped leading. Shinji continued for a while then they slowed and finally stopped

"What's the matter?" he asked.

"Nothing, you seem to have caught on, it's your turn to lead"

Shinji looked doubtful. Misato put on her best teasing voice and bent down close to Shinjis ear.

"Now I know your used to just following whatever girls say Shinji, but you know leading IS a `mans' job…. I understand if you don't want to" she finished, smiling cheekily. Shinji gave a smirk at the obvious ploy but allowed it to work on him, a determined look taking over his face.

"Well then, hold on Misato" he said, starting to lead, firstly with the standard moves then followed by improvisations from what he observed others do, as well as some things taken from his training with Asuka. Soon he and Misato were spinning around the room, her dress twirling as Shinji got more bold with his moves. Though he occasionally fumbled, even with some uncertain moments the efforts of the two were non the less impressive, especially considering Shinjis size compared to Misato. Misato was having a ball, letting out joyous yelps and complementing Shinjis prompts, and at songs end she leaned heavily into a dip. Shinji strained to hold her greater weight, but just managed to hang on. Misato righted herself and looked at Shinji who was holding his back with one hand comically. Laughing Misato turned to Rei who had been sitting watching from the table.

"Rei can you come here please." she said. Slowly but immediately Rei stood up, and walked over. Shinji was still stretching his back and was not paying attention.

"I'm afraid Shinjis a little too energetic for me, can you take over for me Rei?" asked Misato as the next song started up. Shinji, hearing this, turned and looked as if he was about to object. Misato leaned over.

"I mean someone has to help him work off all the food he just ate"

And with that she elbowed him playfully in the stomach. Shinji went from holding his back to holding his stomach, somehow still managing to give Misato a dirty look. Misato however had grabbed both pilots, forcing them together on the dance floor.

"Well have fun kids I'm off for a drink!" she said, walking off. Shinji gave her an exasperated look as she left, then turned to face Rei. Who, for once, was looking rather unsure of herself.

"So you want to dance?" he asked questioningly after a while.

"I'm not sure how." came the predictable reply.

"That's O.K just follow my lead… you saw how Misato and I danced…… its easy." Shinji replied. He started to move. Rei was stiff to begin with, but soon began moving smoothly

"Just follow the music" he said with a grin. And the two danced. Shinji smiled and Reis expression softening slightly from her usual cold expression, maybe even a bit of a smile…

Misato watched from the bar, drinking a cocktail of some description. The music was slower than the last song that Misato had danced with Shinji too and the two glided around the room very elegantly. Misato though, was in a different frame of mind. So finishing her drink in one gulp she moved over to the band, which was playing from the podium to one side. Misato signalled the conductor over, whispering in his ear while he was still conducting, he nodded with a smile. Grinning, Misato returned to the Bar. The music ended and everyone clapped the band, the conductor bowed and turned back, everyone waited for the next song. Suddenly the trumpet player stood up alone and started to play, fast and loud. The trumpeter played to a South American beat with the rest of the band soon joining in enthusiastically.

The music was to fast for most couples on the dance floor, with many leaving to go back to there tables. Three younger couples stayed however, with one pair (Shinji thought they were South American) starting an extravagant routine enthusiastically. Shinji and Rei exchanged uncertain glances (for Rei this meant a slightly disapproving version of her usual neutral face).

"Come on you two, show these people what NERV personnel are capable off!" shouted Misato from back at the bar enthusiastically "It's the same beat as your training, now don't let me down!"

Shinji gave Rei a smile and she responded in kind, nodding her approval. Shinji was energised beyond words by this amazing gesture, at least for Rei, and took hold of her hand. Concentrating hard he listened to the music, waiting for the right time to start. They began a little cautiously, but the music was simply too fast, and the two were soon into an improvised routine moving fast to the beat. The dance steps Shinji had learnt with Asuka were not 100% compatible with the song, and Shinji tried to counter by mimicking some aspects of the south American couples movements.

Their movement was far from perfect but Shinjis enthusiasm and concentration coupled with Reis grace and adaptability, which countered his occasional errors and mistimes, meant the two were holding there own, and looking good. Driven by each others enthusiasm the 4 couples stepped up a gear and the restaurant was treated to a impressive amateur dancing display. Starting to lose himself in the music Shinji was having a ball, Rei appeared to be enjoying herself as well. Rei had observed much of Asukas and Shinjis routine so the two dancers were able to part and meet up in time and smoothly, moving surprisingly close. Before they knew it the end of the song came, with all 4 couples ending in impressive finishing positions. There was a large applause as the patrons clapped the band and the dancers. Shinji had not noticed that almost everyone had been watching the couples and blushed a little, Rei, seemingly oblivious to the surrounding guests, looked around the dance floor. Rei observed two of the couples kissed before leaving the dance floor and the last couple hugged. Shinji, who hadn't noticed, took hold of Reis hand and led her over to Misato, who was waiting with two lemonades. They both took the drinks gratefully, the last dance being quite physical. Misato praised the both of them, saying that they were wasted as Eva Pilots, which got a laugh from Shinji and a surprised look from Rei, followed by a smile. The three sat down at the bar looking out at the restaurant, chatting through the next song. The song ended in the usual round of clapping and a pause, followed by yet another song, a slightly quicker wals type piece. Shinji was going on about the architecture when Rei interrupted by placing her hand on his.

Shinji, surprised, looked at Rei, who quietly asked if he would like to dance again. Shinji, now stunned, turned to Misato for guidance, she promptly gave him a wink and leaned back on the Bar. Shinji turned back to Rei and said. "Sure thing."

The two danced for the next 45min straight, neither indicating that they wanted to stop. Misato was drinking happily at the bar and kindly but firmly turning away the numerous number of men that came up to talk to her.

Not quite able to remember exactly how many strange cocktails she had consumed, Misato joined Shinji and Rei on the dance floor in order to excuse herself for the evening. The numerous consumed drinks had starting to kick in, she asked the two if they would be alright on their own. Looking at each other for a second, both pilots nodded. Giving them an odd wink Misato then promptly walked, a little shakily, back to her room singing a little tune to herself on the way.

Shinji and Rei continued dancing for another 15 minutes or so, ending with a nice slow song, during which Rei placed her head on Shinjis shoulder and the two moved slowly arm in arm. The band finished for the evening getting a large ovation from the remaining patrons. After accepting the applause the band began to pack up. Shinji and Rei left the restaurant via the courtyard, walking by the large pool illuminated subtly by some elegantly placed fairy lights in the surrounding trees.

The night was mild and clear, with the stars out in force. The two ended up at the start of a path that lead down to the beach. Shinji asked Rei if she wanted to take a walk on the beach, to which she nodded, slipping of her shoes and picking them up. They headed through the gardens. Shinji was startled to stumble upon a young couple, making out in one of the small gazebos that littered the grounds, blushing, he doubling there pace to get by quickly.

A short time later they arrived at the beach, and after Shinji removed his shoes they both waded through the water for a while enjoying the moonlight night. They seated themselves a little further on, Rei sitting close to Shinji but not touching him, both stared off at the horizon.

"So did you have fun today Rei?" Shinji finally asked, glancing over at Rei. There was a pause. Finally Rei said "It has been… very interesting"

Shinji half expected this, though the relaxed manner in which she had said it in, as well as the fact that she had held her smile meant more to Shinji then anything else. He turned to look at the horizon again, smiling.

"Why have you done this?" came a quiet question from Shinji side. He turned to face Rei, she was looking straight into his eyes.

"Why did you and Misato take me with you today?" she asked again, Shinji had half expected such a question sooner or later and so was not really surprised. He gave her a smile, but couldn't maintain eye contact. Turning away he said.

"People like to see others who they care for….. enjoying themselves.." he paused a little " And me and Misato care for you Rei, we just thought you might have fun today, that's all"

He looked back out at the ocean.

"I wasn't sure if you have ever done anything just for fun before." he said, a little more down cast. Though picking up he finished with "What can I say, I just wanted to see your nice smile again."

He continued to stare calmly off into the distance. Again a pause.

"Thank you Shinji, I had…. Fun today" she said softly. Shinji turned to look, at her and found himself staring straight into her large crimson eyes. She had moved closer after her comment, leaning into him. He stared into her eyes for a moment, the moment was simply too perfect, her eyes two beautiful, she slowly leaned forward, tilting her head slightly at the last second. And so there they were, sitting in the sand, their first tender kiss. It lasted for some time, Shinji hand came up to gently hold the side of Reis face and Rei pressed close to Shinji's body, using her non leaning arm to give him a half hug. They stopped after a while and Rei stayed close, leaning on Shinji and resting her head on the side of his arm, it was quite comfortable and they stayed like that for a while.

Rei however was not used to such a long day and gave out a quiet yawn, which Shinji felt rather then heard. Shinji suggested they head back, and the two moved off towards their rooms. Walking back on the beach, Shinji was a little shocked to have one of his hands grasped while he walked. He almost stoped walking, but recovered quickly enough to continue, turning his head to give Rei a quick smile. Outside Reis room they hit on a snag, expecting a goodnight kiss at most, Shinji was surprised to instead hear.

"I do not want to be alone."

She looked at him warmly though her subtlety in expressing emotion made her still very difficult to read, it was however still obvious that she was rather tired. Shinji had to struggle a little to get his hormones back in check, though in truth knowing what she meant was simple companionship. Calming down, he thought for a second, eventually suggesting that they sleep on the veranda in two of the very large padded deck chairs, it was a mild night after all. Agreeing, he left her to get changed quickly. Finished he walked outside with blanket and pillow in arm. The connecting veranda was very large, offering a glorious view down to the beach and ocean beyond. The deck chairs were just outside of Misatos room. Approaching them Shinji could hear Misato snoring audibly from her room and grinned to himself. He pushed two well-padded deck chairs close to another. Throwing his sheets on one, he quickly made his bed. Lying down he pulled over a light sheet and adjusting his pillow to make himself comfortable. He gazed up at the stars. `Not a bad idea.' He thought to himself. He heard Reis sliding doors open and turned his head to see her walking towards him wearing only a shirt and carrying her sheets and a pillow. He closed his eyes smiling.

"Great Idea of mine I think, it's a lovely night." he said, happy with himself.

He stretched out and opened his eyes again to find Rei standing over him, pillow in hand, a tired smile on her face. He looked at her standing there, then kicked himself for even bothering to be surprised. He moved so as to lift the sheets, and she climbed in, snuggling up next to him, her head on his shoulder. He covered them both with the sheet, his mind still annoyed at itself for not expecting this, in the meantime however Rei had already fallen asleep, breathing softly on his chest. With nothing else to do Shinji looked up at the stars above, soon drifting off himself.

Misato awoke early the next day, having had enough foresight to set the alarm before collapsing into bed. A veteran of bad nights she recovered quickly with the help of some special tablets she had brought along.

"Thank you Ritsuko." she said, downing the tablets. She washed her face in the sink.

Yawning and stretching fully she went out onto the balcony to enjoy a bit of fresh air, instead she almost stoped breathing! Finding Shinji and Rei still asleep on the deckchair. Shinji, stretched out in all directions, drooling slightly, and Rei, curled up, wrapped around him to one side. Misato didn't know if she thought the scene was shocking or sweet, deciding on something in-between, she lent over to do quick scan of the sheets, satisfied she decided to wake the two up. Leaning over the chair so as to throw a shadow on Shinjis face, Misato coughed loudly. Shinji opened his eyes slowly to see the very close and very angry face of Misato, he froze in panic, then slid out of Reis grip sideways, falling backwards onto the ground while maintaining his sight on Misato, overall a very impressive gymnastic feat.

"Mi … Mi Misato! its not what you think!" he said, backing away on all fours. Misato, holding her angry look, watched him back away. With all the sudden commotion Rei also woke up, slowly getting up and stretching during the other events. Smiling slightly she said

"Good morning Misato."

She turned to look at Shinji, his back now against the railing, she gave a slightly surprised look. Misatos expression changed 180 degrees, she turned to give Rei a beaming smile and warm greeting.

"Morning Rei, did you sleep well" beamed Misato. Turning back to Shinji she gave him a wink. Shinji let out a long breath, sweat drop forming.

"Thanks a lot Misato!" He said with a little annoyance, but he was to relieved to have any conviction in his voice. "You scared me half to death with that look, I thought you were going to kill me!" he said getting up.

"Well I don't really mind" she said, posing "But a good scare should keep you in line a bit, I mean you are a 14 year old boy." she said, finishing with a smirk on he face.

"I do not understand" interrupted Rei, still a confused look on her face. Shinji walked up to Misato, knocking her playfully with his shoulder, upon which she grabbed him and messed up his hair.

"It's O.K. Rei." said Shinji laughing, releasing himself from Misatos grip.

"Lets go have breakfast." said Misato happily. And Rei, smiling slightly again, followed them into Misatos room.

Breakfast was brought up to the three, and they all ate on the veranda. PenPen emerging from the bathroom to join them, having disappeared into there as soon as they got the rooms, the hot weather was not agreeing with him all that much. They finished up and packed up the car, taking one last look at the resort. Shinji, followed by Rei, thanked Misato again for the great trip.

The drive back was quick, the mood in the car turning steadily sombre as all began to think about what this day actually held install for them. They dropped Pen Pen back at the apartment, quickly leaving their things and heading straight onto NERV. There was minimal conversation as all were lost in there own thoughts. About 15 minutes away they began to go through the plan again, making sure they all knew their places, and worked through some contingency plans. Arriving at NERV Misato parked the car in the underground car park and got out, a completely serious expression now on her face. Shinji and Rei followed, and soon all three were standing next to the car.

"Well that's it then, we sure we wont to go through with this?" Misato said with a weak smile. Shinji responding with his own weak smile, and nodded determinedly

"Will Ritsuko be a problem do you think?" asked Shinji.

"I don't think so, but we should manage our primary objective whatever happens" she replied. Now back into commander mode.

"Well then… good luck Misato" said Shinji, trying hard to take the uncertainty out of his words. Misato, now completely in military mode nodded and headed off to the elevator, no further signs of emotion present in her face. Though as she turned away her eyes betrayed some of her thoughts. Shinji and Rei preceded to the change rooms where they put on their plug suits, then headed up towards the testing area.

They entered through the only outside door into a large holding chamber which housed the three Evas, Shinji locking the door behind him. All three Eva units were standing, backs up against the wall, entry plugs standing by. They walked across the platform to the short corridor that led up into the control centre, entering the enclosed space they were about to make their way up the stairs when Rei suddenly stopped Shinji by grabbing his hand. Shinji turned and was about to ask why she had stoped him when she answered his question, pining him lightly against the wall. Shinji was surprised to be on the receiving end of a somewhat more passionate kiss, he recovered and kissed back a little, before the two sets of lips parted ways

"Thank you Shinji, for everything" she said, looking at him sombrely. Shinji was still getting his thoughts in order, and it took a little while for him to respond, after a short pause he manage to calmly say.

"My pleasure Rei"

But then took a deep breath, in staying calm he had forgotten to breath!

"Don't worry this'll work, you'll see" he said a little more relaxed. Shinji gave her hand a comforting squeeze, smiling a little before letting go, and with that the two parted, Shinji leading the way up the stairs.

1.3 Who can save us?

Authors note:

[[This section contains important story depth, a bit of background investigation and important character development, complex but entertaining, I hope. :)]]

Misato, Ritsuko, Fuyuzuki, Maya and Commander Ikari were waiting for the pilots in the control room.

Casually, but with a hint of stress, Ritsuko went through the testing schedule, apparently there had been some modifications to unit 01s connections and she wanted to see their performance, in real time, compared with the old system still installed in unit 00. Shinji nodded in his normal un-enthused way and turned to leave. Rei remained behind, and turned to face Commander Ikari.

"Can we talk commander?" she asked in her usual calm voice. Maya, Ritsuko and Fuyuzuki broke off their work on the computers to look at Rei. Fuyuzuki gave Gendo a worried glance. There was an awkward pause and Shinji stopped to look back. Misato held her breath as Gendo looked at Rei, his hands clasped together in front of his face, his usual pose. There was a pause, but then Gendo suddenly raised from his chair.

"Go on pilot Ikari…. I will walk you to your Eva Rei" He said, making his way across the room. Fuyuzuki watched the three leave down the stairs, he glanced at Misato, who appeared nervous for some reason. It was going well, Rei did not even have to come up with a reason for the commander to accompany her down to the Eva.

Shinji was already some way ahead and stalled for time outside his entry plug to allow the other two to catch up. Rei and Gendo got to the junction in the walkway, one direction leading to unit 00 the other to unit 01 and Shinji. Pausing for a second Rei headed towards unit 01 were Shinji was standing, Gendo stopped behind her.

"What I have to talk about concerns unit 01" she said, noticing his inaction, turning back she walked on. Gendo stayed where he was for a few seconds, his frown growing deeper then normal, he then followed her over to where Shinji was kneeling, apparently inspecting the entry plug.

Coming to a stop outside the open entry plug Gendo turned to Rei.

"What is this all about?" he asked, annoyance present in his dark voice. Rei stood there while Shinji hands gripped the pistol left by Misato earlier this morning, hidden just inside the entry plug, he stood up. Calmly moving around the side of Gendo, who was still awaiting an answer. Shinji circled his target, some 10m away, he was walking slowly, handgun raised.

"This is about you, father" he said evenly. "Take off your clothes and get into the entry plug" he continued coldly, he finished moving around to Gendos immediate left, standing rigid, feet apart.

Up in the control room Misato had waited for this event, and while the others had just begun to look shocked she had already drawn her pistol, stepping away from her colleagues she shouted.

"Nobody move! Hands up, I want you all against the wall!"

All three turned to face Misato, her gun pointing at their faces. Originally in shock, Maya's expression turned fearful, Ritsukos was confused but Fuyuzukis quickly turned back to his usual grim expression.

"What.. What are you doing Misato? Have you gone crazy!?" demanded Ritsuko, completely perplexed. Behind her Fuyuzuki tried to make a quick move to the emergency alarm. Misato spotted the move and fired a shot, destroying a section of panel next to the button.

Back down on the platform Shinji herd the shot, and in a show of inexperience turned his head. Gendo, seeing Shinji flinch out of the corner of his eye, quickly drew his own gun and without hesitation fired a round at Shinji's chest. There was a loud audible clap and Shinji and Gendo were violently thrown in opposite directions, Shinji landed on some containers, Gendo against the railing Though sudden, both Ikaris managed to hold onto their weapons. Rei was still standing, her arms extended in front of her, a look of concentration on her face. The last of a hexagonal AT field could be seen fading in-between the two Ikaris, illuminated through the absorption of the bullet. Gendo recovered quicker, standing and turning his gun on Rei. Firing three quick shots. All three bullets hit her AT field, making a lot of noise but doing no damage. Shinji had finally recovered, scrambling to his feet he aimed his gun at Gendo, firing off a single shot the bullet struck his father in the shoulder. The impact knocked the gun out of Gendos hand, the gun tumbling off the ledge. Shocked at his own actions Shinji watched Gendo clutch at his shoulder with his good hand, a strange silence returned. The only sound that remained being the clatter of the gun on its long journey to the base of the test area. Gendo, still holding his shoulder with his good arm, faced Shinji, eyes filled with rage. Still no sound escaped the Commanders bitterly clenched teeth. Shinji however was now calm, holding the gun with one hand, his left hand had clenched into a fist.

"Do not try anything else father, you will take off you clothes and get into the entry plug, or I will kill you" he said coldly. His father remained were he was, defiant, simply standing there. Becoming agitated Shinji cocked the gun with his thumb, his eyes narrowing to slits "I would prefer not to kill you as this is more useful to me, though don't try my patience.. do you really doubt my resolve?………. Father?"

His now low voice was sounding remarkably similar to Gendos.

Misato meanwhile, for her part, had been too experienced to flinch at the noise from below, she waited until they were all against the back wall before taking a quick look down.

"What's going on down there?" demanded Fuyuzuki, head turned around. Misato looked out of the window, peering anxiously down into the chamber, after a while a smile appearing on her face.

"Look's like Shinjis shot Gendo" replied Misato smirking. This managed to get a gasp from Ritsuko and Maya, but no reaction from Fuyuzuki.

"Don't worry, his still standing…………pity" said Misato with a smile.

"What do you plan to do?" asked Ritsuko, regaining some of her composure.

"Gendos going into unit 01, and then your going to activate it" she said evenly.

"Are you crazy Misato!" Ritsuko burst out, "What on earth is the point of that, your going to accomplish nothing from this little stunt!"

Ritsuko was starting to get very angry. Returning her dirty look Misato turned her attention back to the three captives.

"Shinji believes that under the right conditions this is the only way to bring Gendo back to reason" Misato countered.

"Shinji believes!"

Ritsukos voice was getting even angrier. Misato suddenly looked a little doubtful, it was rather far fetched from many points of view. Ritsuko, noticing Misatos doubts, couldn't help but continue.

"So once again doing everything a man tells you to do" she said bitterly, not even bothering to keep her arms up any more. "You just can't help yourself can you Misato"

The tone was edged perfectly for maximum venom. It was a wrong move, Misato snapped at this attack and screaming back.

"Who the hell are YOU to tell me anything about men! Your position seems no better then mine even IN this new situation!"

Ritsuko backed away slightly, shocked.

"This whole organisation is a lie!" continued Misato. "And the people who think they know more"

She glanced at Fuyuzuki.

"Are probably further from the truth then the people who know nothing at all!"

She stoped to take a breath, more evenly, Misato continued " The only person who knows anything close to the truth is that lying bastard down there. And I for one am sick of being lied to! Better this chance to find the truth, then working one more day for the lie." she finished up, sighing heavily after the effort, her shoulders slumping.

"I owe that much to Kaji" she mumbled to herself. There was a pause, all taking in what had just been said.

"What do you hope to achieve? You can't get away" said Ritsuko more evenly.

"Once we have set up the conditions, Gendo will be set free" Misato answered.

"You think he will simply let you get away with this?" asked Ritsuko, crossing her arms, more bewildered now then angry.

"If this works like Shinji thinks it will….. Yes, otherwise it doesn't really matter, I am through with this organisation as it is." her posture strengthened, she focused squarely on Ritsuko.

"What do you care anyway?" she asked sarcastically "You've been practically under arrest for the last couple of weeks, I would have thought you would jump at the chance to hamper that bastards plans?". Ritsuko withdrew a little, glancing sideways at Fuyuzuki, who remained neutral as always.

"What conditions do you have in mind" she asked, deflecting Misatos question. Misato, wanting to get on with it, allowed her.

"The same conditions as what Shinji experienced while fighting with the 17th angel" replied Misato, quickly followed by "so are you going to help me or what Ritsuko?"

Ritsuko looked shocked for a second as she remembered back to what happened that day, what she had thought/dreamt after that fight. Her face turned from one of doubt to stern contemplation. Misato waited for a reply, honestly expecting more enthusiasm from her old friend. Then suddenly Fuyuzuki spoke up.

"We have no choice but to do as she says" he said evenly. Maya and Ritsuko turned to look at him. He continued "Plus I don't see this as doing any permanent harm to the commander."

Ritsuko doubted that very much, and it showed in the face she put on. Though seeing his expression she recognised this as some kind of approval. And whatever thoughts she was having concluded themselves.

"O.K Misato, what do you need me to do?" Ritsuko asked no-nonsense like, and with that she walked back to the consol, effectively ignoring the gun aimed at her.

Back down in the test bay, Gendo was now standing completely naked in front of the entry plug, both his hands loosely by his side, blood dripping from the fingers of his right hand. Shinji motioned with his gun hand.

"Get in" he said simply. Gendo moved into the entry plug, sitting at the controls. Shinji, still training the gun on Gendo, moved to close the hatch.

"You will regret this" Gendo said as the hatch began to close.

"For your sake" Shinji replied. " I hope not"

And with that the hatch snapped shut. Shinji dropped the gun on the ground and walked over to Rei.

"Thank you Rei" He said, taking her hand. She simply looked at him, her cheeks red with effort. He looked up at the control centre to see Misato looking down. He could also see Ritsuko bent over the console looking at him with a concentrated expression. Misato voice came over the intercom.

"Everything ready down there?"

Shinji turned to Rei, who nodded, turning back to Misato he gave a thumbs up. Ritsuko started to type away.

"You had better go up to the command centre" said Rei, turning to face the two Evas. Shinji looked at her, stalling he suddenly moved. Running up to her he gave her a quick peck on the cheek before making a direct line for the command centre. Rei touched her cheek were Shinji had kissed her, smiling to herself for a short while, before returning to the task at hand. Ritsuko had noticed the exchange between Rei and Shinji, she raised an eyebrow, but quickly shook it off, returning to work. Shinji arrived in time to see the entry plugs final entry protocol. The thought of his father's first experience with LCL fluid bringing a smile to his face.

"What do you want me to do know" asked Ritsuko, looking across at Shinji & Misato.

"We need you to phase Evas 01 and 02 AT fields together" said Shinji calmly.

"Use the dummy systems" he added.

"You know what a violent reaction that is Shinji, in this enclosed space who knows what it could do!" complained Maya, still at the wall. Stressed and scared Maya added shouting. "And as for the dummy plug who knows what that will do!"

"I know" said Shinji, voice still calm.

"Just do it" commanded Misato firmly, her gun now down but still obviously in control.

Ritsuko, annoyed, did as she was told. Both units activated, their eyes showing signs of life, started to glow menacingly.

"Dummy units activated" said Ritsuko back into scientist mode. Everyone in the room held their breath, expecting the worst from the unpredictable dummy systems. Nothing happened, both units simply took a loose pose.

"I need the two to tough each other" said Shinji, appraising the two massive Evas.

Ritsuko entered a string of commands, and to her genuine surprise both units moved their left and right hands, stretching their arms out across the small gap of their respective restraints connecting palm to palm, and nothing more.

"I've never seen them work this smoothly before." Ritsuko said to herself, astounded. The tension was rising in the room, both Fuyuzuki and Maya had moved to the window to look down at the Evas, Rei was still there standing facing the two Evas.

"Extend the AT fields!" Shinji commanded. Ritsuko hit the enter command. There was a bright light, brilliant as the sun, forming from in-between the two palms of the Evas as their respective AT fields activated and merged, everyone shielded their eyes. There was a massive Clap as the AT field extended out linearly between the two Evas, impacting on the concrete walls of the test area. The concrete imploded under the strain, massive fragments flying loose. A massive pressure wave was formed, blowing in the windows of the control room, and throwing its occupants to the floor. Scrambling to their feet they moved to look into the test area. The sight was aw-inspiring, the hexagonal wall of the two merging AT fields was visibly shining brightly between the two Eva's. Looking closer the group could make out a small form in front of the two massive Evas, it was the floating form of Rei. Shining white, Rei was generating a small AT field which was distorting the otherwise hexagonal walls. She was floating in mid air, her hands out, every section of her skin omitting a brilliant light. Shinji yelled for Ritsuko to increase unit 02 field to maximum, Ritsuko punched in the commands. The force from the slowly distorting fields could be felt by everyone as it whipped up massive winds within the test area. Unit 02's field slowly began to bend back unit 01's field until it appeared to envelop unit 01. They all watched as Rei became ever brighter, her AT field expanding quickly, soon she became too bright to look at, they shielded their eyes from her. Shinji clenched his eyes shut as the ever-increasing brightness seemed to go through his hands. The sound was deafening, the light blinding, just as he felt he could take no more he sensed a sudden pause, as if time had stopped completely, and then silence.

Shinji, still seeing and hearing the echoes of the commotion only moments before, could only feel the sudden reversal of airflow, and then felt suddenly energised as some kind of energy field expand through him and past him. He stood still, the sudden silence sounding louder then any noise. Shinji, shaking his head to clear the echos, began to reclaim his sight and hearing. Looking up he saw that everyone around him had suddenly gone limp and collapsed to the floor, their bodies were scattered around the floor awkwardly. Shocked Shinji ran over to Misato, leaning over her body anxiously. He grabbed her hand and leant close over her face, relieved to find her breathing softly. Calming down, he looked at her for a while then at the others, they all looked peacefully asleep. Suddenly remembering Rei, Shinji quickly got up and raced down to the test floor area. He came down just in time to see Rei float elegantly back to the walkway, massive dents and splits had deformed the mettle, but somehow it remained up. Shinji raced over, calling out to Rei to see if she was ok. Shinji only noticed that she was completely naked when he got close to her, slowing suddenly now only 10m away. She nodded at him smiling a little. Shinji, uncomfortable due her state of dress, had stoped in his tracks. Looking around he quickly ran over to grab his fathers discarded coat, Rei was initially a little surprised at Shinjis move, but smiled again when he returned with his fathers coat, wrapping it around her shoulders. Shinji helped the weakened Rei, his arm's holding Reis shoulders tenderly. Slowly, they made their way up to the control room. On the way up Rei spoke.

"Why are you so concerned every time I am naked?" she asked. Shinji looked at her, not expecting such a question from Rei.

"It's nothing to be worried about, its just a silly Lillin thing" Shinji said after a while. Shinji suddenly stopped, he had used a Kaworu term without even realising it, he looked at Rei who was still simply smiling at him, mentally shrugging to himself the two moving on.

As they entered the command room, the two pilots found that everyone was still out cold. There was no sound at all any more, only the red flashing of the silent alarm tripped by the explosion.

"Has it worked?" asked Shinji looking down at Misato.

"I believe so" said Rei quietly "They are all in the same state as before, though the commanders experience is different then yours"

"In what way?" said Shinji, worried that his plan had gone wildly wrong.

"Kaworu was not an Eva, and I am not a true angel" she said calmly "he had other influences"

Shinji looked at her.

"The commanders choices are for himself, your choices however were I think… for everyone.." she said looking at him. Shinji was struck dumb by the implications, had he really been given that much power? He had no idea at the time what his choices represented, or what consequences they held for himself or others. He looked back down at the sleeping NERV personnel.

"Are they all in the same state?" asked Shinji, deciding not to try and grasp Reis last statement fully.

"No" responded Rei "they are experiencing what they felt last time, they are currently experiencing a sample of self, caused by the reaction, though they can accept or reject what they see"

They moved around trying to make the fallen NERV staff more comfortable from their current positions.

"The commander however is the only one who is locked into the full experience, through his connection with the Eva he is forced to observe himself in the light of others, in light of himself"

"And then he will chose?" asked Shinji.

"If he accepts what he sees, yes, he can chose to remain or come back"

"And if he does not?"

"He will be destroyed, in a way" she turned to face him "you cannot exist in that place without full self realisation, it is impossible"

Shinji thought about that for a second, he hadn't really contemplated that his father may `fail' the experience. Suddenly his own experience seemed much more critical, could he have been destroyed, turning back to Rei he decided not to think about it. What was done was done

"Do you know why they're asleep?" he said, suddenly a thought struck him "and why I'm still awake?"

She walked over to stand next to him, taking his hand in hers she looked down at the sleeping bodies. "I think that is their minds defence, against something they do not understand or do not like." She paused "In a dream state they still see their true state but they can accept or reject what they like" She turned her head to look at Shinji "You have seen your true self, and still do, so your mind had no need to shut down."

She gave Shinji an encouraging smile.

Shinji looked down at Misato.

"How long will they be out for?" he asked finally,

"I am not sure, last time it was not that long, maybe 2 or 3 hours, you were only unconscious for 30min minutes longer then almost everyone else" said Rei. Shinji considered this for a second, looking around slowly, he found, and then picked up, Misatos gun. Shinji told Rei to go and get changed, and to meet him back at the operations centre entrance of the test area, and to bring his clothes, she nodded and left. After she left he quickly found the communications board in the control panel, aiming Misatos gun he turned away, firing two rounds into it, destroying it.

Shinji went down into the test area, jamming the other entrance by firing at the lock once. Moving quickly Shinji searched the sleeping staff and went through his fathers clothes to retrieve any communications devices, placing them all outside of the command centre in the hall. Finally he dragged Misatos limp body outside into the hall, and jammed the door shut behind him, locking in the occupants. Re-holstering Misatos gun he made her a small pillow from Fuyuzukis jacket. He wrote a quick note on a piece of paper he had removed from the command centre and placed it into Misatos pocket.

Just as he had done this Rei returned, dressed in her usual school uniform, holding Shinjis clothes in her hands. He walked over and took his clothes. Rei glanced over at Misato.

"What do we do now?" she asked.

"We wait" said Shinji evenly "But we may as well do something useful, lets go water the garden"

And with that the two of them left.

Shinji left Rei at the garden to go and get changed, but returned soon to help. The two tended the garden in silence, enjoying the sounds of nature as they worked. Shinji enjoyed the piece and quiet, there was no noise in the geo front. The Magi had taken over automatically once all manual control was lost, though having to re-boot after the original short-out. So all systems were still working, but it was still very quiet. Shinji and Rei had passed many a sleeping figure on the way to the garden.

Lost in their own world they worked away for about an hour, taking a seat under a nearby tree upon completion. Rei leaned on the seated Shinji and he wrapped an arm around her. They stayed there dozing for about 2 hours when finally two figures approached from NERV HQ. Shinji looked up as they approached, they were security agents, neither looked particularly rushed or stressed, just a little nervous, exactly like after the last time there was a blackout, just after the fight with Kaworu.

"Pilot Ikari, Pilot Ayanami, you are to follow us to the commander" said the agent. The two pilots stood up, following the security agents.

They went through NERV, again everyone looked dazed and unsure. Just as last time. The security agents opened the door to Gendos office foyer, letting the two pilots through, and closing it behind them.

Just as last time Fuyuzuki, Ritsuko and Misato were all sitting there silently, Shinji looked over at Misato who was sitting close to Ritsuko, they both gave the two pilots a weak smile. Shinji returned the smile, he glanced over at Fuyuzuki who was sitting at the desk drinking a coffee, he looked up at the two pilots.

"The commander is waiting for you two" Fuyuzuki said, professionally but not unkindly.

Shinji lead the way, opening the door for Rei and followed her inside, no hint of fear present in either pilot. Shinji found Gendo sitting in his chair looking out of the window, his classic pose only in half use as one arm was now in a sling. On his desks were a multitude of papers, some had been pushed onto the floor.

The door closed with a click and both pilots made the considerable journey to Gendos desk. On the way to the desk Gendo had stood up, but still did not turn to face them, they stoped just in front of his desk, both looking at his back, awaiting a comment.

"I am sure that you both have some idea of what I just went through" he said in his usual voice. All present remained still.

"You will be happy to know that it has had the desired effect" he said. Still no motion from the two pilots. He continued "It appears I have been working under false pretences…… I have been so fixated on the one goal now for so long, that I have not allowed myself to see the truth" he turned to face them. "That what I was aiming for was not only unattainable…" he paused to look at both of them separately "but I see know that the consequences of these actions would have simply been to high."

Shinji studied his face, he appeared the same as always though the intensity was gone from his eyes, still strong but not hard, Shinji thought he looked more human. Shinji himself however, did not change his expression, still remaining alert and determined. Gendo returned to his desk, taking a seat.

"I am not however, the person ultimately in control of this organisation as you may well know" he continued, leaning forward to organising his desk. "And the people in control have not had the benefit of my" he stopped, looking up at Shinji "our" he corrected "insight." pausing for a second he continued. "And these individuals have potentially even more dangerous beliefs than I did. We are all in great danger, I am not sure if my actions can stop, what I now see to be folly."

He looked back down at the papers.

"But I will try" he said. Again silence filled the room, Gendo took in a deep breath, continuing to organise his desk.

"I hope that I can count on the two of you to giving your best efforts" he said, looking at them.

"Yes sir." said Rei immediately.

"Yes sir." said Shinji, only a few seconds later.

Gendo removed his glasses, smiling a little in a for once non-threatening manner.

"Indeed" he said placing his glasses on the table.

"As you may appreciate, I have much to set right, and very little time to do it in."

He started to sort the paper again.

"Hopefully I will have time later to explain things a little clearer" said Gendo. A weak smile crossed his face, and for the first time Shinji could remember he looked tired, though almost immediately a more determined expression returned to his face once more.

"For now however I ask that you call professor Fuyuzuki in on your way out, Misato will inform you of the immediate situation." said Gendo, looking at them both.

Shinji and Rei nodded in acceptance and turned to leave. Just before they reached the door however Gendo spoke again.

"Rei, Shinji" called Gendo, still at his desk. They stopped, turning back to look at him.

"Sorry…." he said simply "and thank you." The words were left hanging as the two pilots contemplated these entirely new words from the commander.

Shinji smiled broadly, nodding slowly to his father in acknowledgment. He turned again grabbing the door handle.

"Good luck… father" he said in a clear confident voice, and with that left the room. Shinji did not have to say anything to Fuyuzuki as he came out of Gendos office. He got up as soon as the door opened, nodding at them both as he quickly walked by them to enter Gendos office, closing the door behind him.

The door closed with a click, leaving only the air-conditioning to hum away in the background, Shinji looked over at Misato and Ritsuko who were sitting on the sofas. Moving over Shinji took a seat next to Misato.

"So, what happened?" he asked after a little while.

Misato quickly filled them in on the details of what happened after they had left her unconscious in the hall, she spoke in a calm but official manner, having slipped straight into commander mode after their reappearance from Gendos office. Shinji, listening, thought that this was probably a defensive reaction to stop herself getting emotional in front of Ritsuko.

Apparently after Misato came too, she had read the note, after a while she decided to re-enter the command centre. She found Ritsuko, Fuyuzuki and Maya down in the test chamber helping the unconscious Gendo out of the entry plug, Misato called the medics with her communicator and went down to help her three former captives. The three had seemingly forgotten about Misatos recent actions and treating her as if nothing had happened, being still dazed from the blackout. They were all slow to recover fully, and the medic team took some time to get to them. Gendo regained consciousness only minutes after they arrived. At the beginning he was totally disorientated but then quietly told the medics to stop (once they had finished dressing his gunshot wound they did as they were told). Gendo slowly got into a sitting position on the stretcher, difficult as one arm was now in a sling. A conscientious nurse wrapped a blanket around his shoulder. Gendo brought his left hand to his face, rubbing his eyes, Misato had held her breath as he removed his hand from in front of his eyes, to look around at the people in front of him.

"We have much to do… and little time to do it in" he had said, still a little weak. He stood up, slowly wrapping the blanked around his body.

"You are all to report to my office in 10 minutes" he said starting to walk off, a little unsteadily. The nurse was about to suggest that he should lay down for a while, but she was wisely restrained by her superior. After a few steps he stopped, turning to face Misato.

"Please organise the retrieval of Shinji and Rei as soon as possible." Gendo said, and with that he walked on. The three officers exchanged glances then did as they were told.

Soon afterwards they all met in Gendos office, he had washed up a bit and changed back into normal clothes, Misato had informed security of Shinjis and Reis location, as she had read it from the note Shinji had left her. Misato and the other two senior members met up in Gendos office. Gendo was sitting at his desk, some files strewn over its normally neat surface. They all awaited his comments, a little uneasily. When he finally spoke it was in his normal calm authoritarian voice, though with less edge then usual. Gendo firstly asked Misato who had come up with the plan, nodding to himself upon hearing the answer, Shinji. After a slight pause of contemplation he gave a quick speech about how he and Fuyuzuki had been working under false pretences, to which Fuyuzukis expression only betrayed a little amount of surprise. Gendo continued by saying they had been blinded by their… his, own goals. They had been unable to see the truth, that NERV was simply an operational wing of SEELE and that he, Gendo, had manipulated SEELE to achieve his own ends, believing that his actions would lead to a more personally favourable outcome of the SEELE plans. Now though he realised that the entire premise was folly, stating that the interpretations of the dead see scrolls had contained critical misinterpretations, ones that SEELE still believed and would follow through to the bitter end. Gendo admitted that through his own actions, the situation had become critical, through the advancement of the core directive of SEELE and the current mistrust that the organisation had for him personally. The initial plans was effectively finished, with all components necessary for SEELES plan being within NERV HQ. Gendo paused for a second, continuing he said that given the current situation he believed SEELE would soon act to take what it wanted from NERV by force.

At this stage Ritsuko interrupted, obviously accepting what Gendo had said so far to be true, she asked why they didn't simply abandon NERV and destroy the facility. Gendo continued, saying that while that would destroy the immediate threat, SEELE still possessed the resources to push through their plans with time. And that the loss of this facility, its personnel and its resources would mean such a handicap, that stopping SEELE in the long run would be very unlikely. Misato asked what the current course of action was. Gendo said that he believed that It was a matter of days, maybe hours, before SEELE launched an all out assault, and that he was going to go to the world council to expose SEELE and ask for immediate military intervention to hopefully save NERV, and all of humanity. Misato, still confused about SEELEs organisation, asked how they could organise a military operation within Japan at such short notice. Gendo shortly elaborated that SEELEs was an ancient secret organisation, one with arms in all spheres of power, staying mostly in the background, using disinformation to attain their goals. Their current form had become much more public however, out of necessity, due to the infrastructure required to fulfil their aims, though the lies naturally continued. Gendo hoped that the sudden increase in SEELEs profile had led to their investigation by the powers that be, though he was certain that none could find fault on their own, he was also sure that no-one not directly involved with SEELE trusted their motives. He left it at that, stating that he would have to act immediately if they wanted to stand a chance. He finished by saying that if he had the chance, these words sounding very ominous to the listening trio, he would explain as much as he could at a later date, though now he wanted to talk privately with Ritsuko.

Misato said how 10 minutes later Ritsuko had come out looking even more surprised then just after her blackout.

As Misato said this to Shinji and Rei, Ritsuko shot her a dirty look, and Misato quickly decided to move on. She continued, saying that Fuyuzuki had gone back in alone, only reappearing shortly before Shinji and Rei arrived (security informing Gendo of their imminent arrival). Also, that while Shinji and Rei were inside Fuyuzuki had informed Misato and Ritsuko that at exactly 4pm they were to go and organise a stage 2 general alert and prepare to repulse an imminent attack by hostile (human) forces. Shinji looked at a clock on the wall, 10min to go.

Confused and worried about this sudden revelation Shinji asked why. Misato replied that it would be exactly 10 minutes after Gendo made his plea to the Council about SEELES true intention, he new there were SEELE spies in NERV and he did not wont to give them any chance of a warning.

Shinji looked up at his fathers office door, right now at this very second the continuation of the human species hang in the balance, and it was in the hands of a man who had been willing to destroy it only a few hours earlier. `No man better' Shinji thought to himself, an almost evil smile appearing on his face.

Misato, not noticing the smile, continued to say that the Eva's were being prepared for combat and that the pilots were to remain on stand-by in the cage, and to expect occasional briefings on different scenarios. Shinji nodded, the briefing was over and there was an awkward pause as all four stood there, none really knowing what to do. Shinji didn't want to start a scene, though he new it may well be the last time that he saw the two people who stood in front of him. His hand went automatically to his head as he thought of what to say and suddenly it struck him.

"Dr Ritsuko, Commander Misato… Uh… I just want to say it has been an honour to work with you" he gave Misato a warm look. Ritsuko, a little surprised, recovered quickly to give Shinji a warm smile "Thank you Shinji" She said, turning to Rei. "Rei, Shinji, I wish you both the best of luck"

Misato looked on, her officer face cracking slightly, "When this is over we will all have to go out and celebrate!" she said in her normal joyous voice and with that they all nodded, smiling at each other. Shinji took a last look at Ritsuko and his guardian, taking great effort to stay composed.

"We will see each other then" Shinji said, and with that he turned and left. Rei followed, after a nod to each superior. They walked back down to the changing rooms, putting on their plug suits for the second time today. Rei joined Shinji in the change room, both sitting down on the long couch, neither really sure what to do, neither particularly in the mood to talk. Shinji, hit on an idea and went to get his STAD player. Sitting back down he offered one earpiece to Rei, who accepted, leaning back he clicked on his favourite tracks. Rei, listening, decided to lie down long-ways on the sofa, placing her head on Shinjis lap. Shinji lent back, and both closed their eyes to enjoy the music as the silent alarms started to go off around them once more, it was 4pm. Both were seeing the red flashing lights through their eyelids but neither opening their eyes.

Up in the main command centre Misato and Ritsuko had called in the senior commanders for an emergency meeting. Misato started by explaining that NERV had been betrayed by SEELE, who even now were most likely mobilising to launch an all out offensive to destroy the complex and all the personnel. Naturally it took a couple of minutes for everyone in the meeting to calm down, now that the fight with the angels appeared to be over this was the last thing they were expecting. A senior analyst demanded to know the source of the information. Misato lied and said that the information had been provided by a spy loyal to NERV. This appeared to satisfy the analyst for now, so Misato continued saying that the commander was now attempting to get military intervention to save them. The attack could commence at any time, evacuation was no longer an option, as the aim of the attack was the complete elimination of NERV personnel. Shocked at this brutal revelation the room fell quite, after a while a senior tactician pointed out that they could never withstand a full assault. In a disgusted tone he continued, saying that NERVs defences had been designed to fight Angels, not invading armies. Misato continued, saying that she new this and their only hope was to hold out until military support arrived, but they still had some very powerful tricks up their sleeves and now that they knew they were coming, they were going to give them hell! Everyone in the room was less then convinced, the fear amongst them was evident. Misato tried to rally the beleaguered staff, saying the commander was even now in communication with top UN and JSDA staff with a single aim, to save NERV, the situation they found themselves in was unfortunate but now unavoidable. She continued, saying that all they could do now was act for there own survival, time was of the essence and if they acted now they would have a chance to get out of this, and then leave NERV if they wanted. Misatos small speech did not have the desired effect, everyone still dejected at the sudden prospect of fighting for their lives. The speech however did bring them back into the present, they had to act, quite simply, so one after the other they all nodded in grim determination, not really having a choice. Misato, satisfied with the response, started too draw up base defences. The orders were issued and the plans were quickly set in motion, where possible personnel were being issued with whatever weaponry was available, while others created impromptu weapons and booby traps. A plan was drawn up for a sequentially diminishing zone of defence to hopefully buy NERV the largest amount of time. NERV aircraft were immediately dispatched to scout the area, it only took a short time for them to report back, pockets of troops and armour were mobilising to the North the South and East. Apparently there was a lot of activity, 2 observers being shot down almost immediately, without prior warning. The information was transmitted to Gendo in the communications room.

"Well that's it then, the games afoot" Misato said to herself, now in the control room.

Only moments earlier Gendo and Fuyuzuki had been facing a very angry committee. Sitting in a darkened room the two NERV Commanders were surrounded by a half circle of large communication screens. As expected the council had reacted angrily, not believing Gendos initial claims of SEELES conspiracy. Relative order was not restored for about 3 minutes, though during this time many had started to review the information Gendo had sent through initially. Some of the council members were implicated, and as Gendo had hoped some of them had panicked, reacted without consideration. Some implicated members links had simply shut down immediately.

For Gendo it was like watching a complex soap opera, he could see that many members were suddenly interrupted from behind, getting urgent reports about their communications system coming under electronic attack, some members dropping off completely, there links severed. Gendo smiled to himself, SEELE had panicked, he could not have asked for a better reaction. These new events had effectively confirmed SEELEs undesirable intentions to the honest individuals of the meeting. The situation started to deteriorate somewhat with the remaining honest members receiving urgent reports and having to excusing themselves. Now the officials faces were more of ones of concern and confusion then anger. SEELE had obviously decided upon an all or nothing approach, attacking the communications network as soon as Gendo had made his accusations. Key lines remained open however, as Gendo had indicated to Ritsuko which critical lines were to be guarded by the Magi.

From dealing with issues half a world away the connected officials found themselves suddenly facing direct emergencies at home. One after another the last participants decided to report back later, until finally the only ones left where the defence minister of Japan and the United Nations Asian Commander, who happened to be one of the people implicated in Gendos report. The room suddenly fell quiet, a stark contrast to the combination of outcries and exasperation just moments before. The defence minister calmly brought out a second document and placed it next to Gendos report on the table, all could see it in front of him, this document was significantly thicker and looked better prepared then the NERV document.

"Your report makes interesting reading Commander Ikari… especially considering the other documentation I have received only a few days earlier." he said eyeing the United Nations official.

"It would appear from this documentation" said the Defence Minister, indicating the SEELE documentation. "that you alone are responsible for this conspiracy and not the SEELE organisation. Which includes… I remember seeing, members of such high importance as yourself Minister" The defence minister continued, indication the regional U.N Commander. The U.N Commander gave the defence minister another incredulous look.

"We have detected large concentrations of UN controlled JSDF special forces surrounding our installation" stated Gendo calmly "I deduce from this that the report states the only way to counter my mad plans" he paused for effect." Is to launch a swift surprise attack, capturing this facility" he finished up. Again a pause, finally the U.N commander spoke.

"Minister, this is obviously a desperate last ditch effort by Ikari to save his own neck , he will not be given any more time to protect his sick interests."

And with that he picked up the phone.

"I would just like to say at this time that I am quite willing to accept the immediate temporary administration of all of NERVS activities by a civilian body during any investigation, as long as it does not contain any individuals on the lists that I have just provided. In fact I would ask that you handle the investigation personally, if you look at the documentation I have sent over, you have that statement in writing" Gendo finished, he smiled broadly, looking back at the U.N commander, who scolded.

"Commander" The defence minister said to the U.N official. "I would ask that any immediate action be postponed while this new information is processed."

"What!" exploded the U.N commander "Are you crazy! He can not be allowed to have any more time! The situation is critical! We must act now!"

He slammed his free hand onto the desk.

Staying calm the minister spoke. "Given what I have just observed in this meeting, I am sure of only one thing, I can no longer distinguish the truth from the lies. And until I do, no more action is to be taken by either party, am I clear Commander's, this is still my country to control."

Gendo nodded, a smirk visible on his face. The U.N Commander was visibly annoyed, almost shaking with rage, veins clearly visible on his forehead.

"Bah!" he coughed, slamming down the phone.

"Now if you would both excuse me, I have much too investigate" said the Defence Minister, and with that his line clicked off. For a second there was only the two of them, but The U.N commander gave a nod to someone off screen and suddenly the usual series of SELLE audio-only screens appeared, one after the other, the U.N commanders screen also turning to black audio.

"Ahhh Gendo." Said voice number one. "You are full of surprises… it must give you great pleasure to know what discomfort you have given us."

His voice was even, with a sinister overtones.

"You do realise what you are attempting is folly?" said Gendo, returning to his classic pose, but with only one hands in front of his face, due to the sling.

"Even if you do succeed, your efforts will amount to nothing more then an abortion of the human race." said Gendo, calmly.

"You dare to question that which is written down?! This is humanities way forward! Our evolutionary path!" interrupted voice 4.

"Mans evolution is not to control the forces of god, but to control himself" said Gendo evenly. "I myself have only recently become aware of this."

"No matter!" interrupted voice 1.

"Your time is at an end Gendo Ikari, there is no need for us to hide in the shadows any longer, we will take what we need from you, and complete what is written" said voice one, angrily. "It is to late for you Gendo Ikari"

And with that voice-ones connection clicked off, soon followed by every other connection. Fuyuzuki and Gendo were left to ponder in a silent room.

"Indeed" said Gendo.

Almost as if to confirm SEELEs threats the alarm bells sounded in the control room, the Magi were under attack. Gendo and Fuyuzuki entered the command centre to take their usual overseer positions. NERV had been preparing for this, Ritsuko spending the last couple of minutes writing defence programs. The attack was halted almost immediately, with two of the attacking Magi going down themselves thanks to some clever program packages Ritsuko had sent moments before. The attack on the system failed miserably, the surviving attacking Magi began to systematically cut off all connections NERV had to the outside world. Unable to do anything outside the virtual world of the 666 firewall Misato and Ritsuko simply watched as all the connection broke apart on the screen in front of them.

"Major." Gendo called from above. Misato and Ritsuko turned in surprise, having not heard the commander come in over the noise.

"Our salvation is not yet assured, it is imperative to our survival that communication with the Japanese government be maintained as long as possible."

Misato looked at Ritsuko.

"Its impossible to stay connected via landline, the other Magi are controlling the entire system! Nothing is coming in or going out, all normal lines of communications are impossible" Ritsuko said, her tone stressed due to the hectic activity.

"Then we will have to use the unusual" replied Gendo still calm.

"A direct connection with a privet number via satellite will be adequate"

"We won't be able to hold on to any surface outposts for long once the fighting starts" interrupted Misato.

"That would normally be correct Major" said Gendo, continuing he said "however we only require a small site, and it will be defended by all effective surface units, including our air resources."

Misato was about to object to this tactically dangerous ploy, when he suddenly added worse.

"Including both evangelions" added Gendo.

"Commander!" objected Misato loudly.

"You may use the resources as you see fit Major, but whatever your plans, ultimately that outpost must hold for as long as possible" continued Gendo with some force in his voice. Misato gave him a doubtful look, anger apparent in her expression.

"This is not a suicide mission Major, I expect you to withdraw the forces after the situation becomes hopeless, select an outpost next to a deployment shaft." said Gendo calmly. Misato calmed down a bit.

"If we can not coordinate our reinforcements efforts when they arrive their presence may well be useless" stated Gendo.

Misato looked at him for a short while, he stayed still, one hand in front of his mouth.

"Yes commander" Misato finally said, and walked to the control table to quickly draw up new plans. Reports were already coming in of engagements at the forward defence posts. The engagements were short, with quick exchanges between the NERV defences and the U.N Commanders forces. Before long the posts were overrun, though the withdrawal was orderly and the progress of the U.N forces was hampered due to the targeting of transport infrastructure. Slowly but surely the outlying camera and sensor feed's began to drop off, one by one.

Misato waited for a while before she got a clearer picture of the enemies plan off attack. Commanding skilfully she watched the battle unfold, waiting for the perfect time to deploy her trump card. Satisfied that most pieces were now in play she gave instructions for Shinji and Rei to deploy immediately, and to be briefed on rout.

1.4 Deja-vu

Authors note:

[[Time for some action! Some aspects of this section may be familiar to people who have seen the movies, but the continued plot and character developments put a whole new twists on things!]]

Down in the change rooms a NERV staff member came racing in to inform Shinji and Rei of their deployment. Taking off the headphones they nodded, both quickly running off towards the holding pens. Just before they split up to go to their respective Evas Shinji stopped Rei by grabbing her hand, turning her towards him and giving her a quick hug.

"Good luck Ayanami" he said, holding her shoulders.

"I will see you soon" she replied with a smile, and with that the two parted. Shinjis entry plug descended into unit 01 and soon he was surrounded by the operational screens he was used to. Shinji, sitting in the cockpit of his Eva, looked down to see Reis and Misatos faces appeared on the left of his screen, and a tactical map appear in front of him. Shinji was momentarily distracted, the sounds of combat could be heard in the distance, even from this deep underground. On the tactical map Shinji could see a lot of red units shown as triangles slowly pushing back the much smaller number of blue units still left on the screen. The northern battle front was almost at NERV HQ with inroads into the underground passages already being made. The western fronts were pulling back steadily, heading back to what looked to be a small hill just west of NERV HQ, isolated in the mountains. The southern front looked bad, the largest grouping of NERV forces that were still on the surface had been trapped in a small town nestled in a ridge of a valley. Surrounding U.N forces were slowly moving in, they were only a few 100m from a NERV entry point on the other side of the Valley. But judging by the map this was across open terrain, and U.N heavy units were on a nearby hill covering the clearing.

"Shinji, Rei" came the voice of Misato.

"Yes Misato." replied Shinji, looking up from his tactical map.

"Listen up, here is the plan." she said serious and direct. "Firstly we are going to launch a counter attack on our southern flank to save our trapped forces there. And hopefully slow those U.N Forces down."

The appropriate prompts and Icons appeared on the tactical screen.

"Rei you will provide covering fire from position point A"

A dot appeared on a ridge just north of the trapped forces.

"Your priority is to keep the skies free for Shinji and our forces" continued Misato, Rei nodded

"Shinji you are to provide close support for our men on the ground, and I also need you to knock out some bridges and roads leading into the valley. You will be given air cover by our remaining aircraft, so Rei be careful at what your shooting at."

Both pilots nodded again.

"This is a surprise attack and you will both be exposed, be careful of your cables, they will target that as soon as you appear, hopefully this will all be over in 10 or so minutes, any questions?" Misato finished up, crossing her arms, she waited for any questions, using the time to look down at the map. Both pilots nodded and Misato wasted no more time, turning to Ritsuko she shouted. "Deploy!"

The two Evangelions shot up from their holding pens, speeding off through the maze of tunnels to their first deployment. On the way Misato continued the brief. Shinji ignoring the scenery flying by his Eva to concentrate on the tactical information. Misato said that after they were finished with their objectives, they were to re enter the access point and close it behind them. They were then to make there way across to access shaft 4 redeploying to defend communication centre 4.6 until the situation became hopeless, or new orders were given. Shinji and Rei were quickly briefed on their weapons and objectives and before they knew it their sliding rails shot out of the tunnel into a small holding area. Small, in terms that it barely contained the standing Evangelions, however given their size the actual excavation itself was massive, the opening doors at one end appeared, from the outside, like the entire side of the hill was moving. The pilots' actual location was immediately north of the combat area, about 10 km away. The two Evas moved out quickly, grabbing their umbilical cords and plugging themselves in. Weapons casing springing up from either side of the entry chamber giving both Eva pilots assault rifles, Shinji also got a multiple rocket launcher and Rei a sniper rifle. They picked up their weapons, one in each hand, Unit 01 turning to face Rei, nodding in a silent well wish. Turning back he scanned the horizon, Shinji's expression turned to one of grim determination, and he started to run towards the battle, still far off.

Reis Eva unit 00 turned, quickly scaling the hill they had just immerged from. Reaching the top she placed the assault rifle down beside her. Leaning down she positioned herself to steady the sniper rifle on the hill in a half-prone position. Preparing herself she sighted-up, scanning the horizon she could see Shinji running down the valley, umbilical cord trailing behind.

"Rei our fighters are coming overhead to protect Shinjis cable, be careful what you fire at" came Misato voice, suddenly over the intercom.

"Yes Ma'm" said Rei, and she started to scan for targets.

Just then 5 NERV fighting aircraft screamed low over Reis Eva, heading fast after Shinji who was kneeling behind a ridge in a bend of the valley.

Taking a glimpse down at the combat area, Shinji saw a decidedly one sided affair, The small town he had seen on his tactical map was in ruins, crumbling under a withering fire of U.N armour and heavy weapons, only occasionally was there a shot returned. U.N infantry were starting to move in, firing at anything that moved.

"So, not being gracious with you superior firepower are we?" said Shinji through clenched teeth, his hands clenching and unclenching by his side for the first time since his battle with Kaworu. Through his displays he could see multiple dead bodies laying on the road into town, many NERV personnel, but also some civilians.

"You bastards!" spat Shinji, his hands finally clenching into a fist. Using the attached strap Shinji placed the rocket launcher over his shoulder and grabbed the assault riffle with both hands, springing into action.

The Eva was an awesome site as it raced around the corner, massive plumes of water and earth shot up from its feet as it raced through the rice paddies, gun raised. Shinji aimed at a row of tanks that had formed to bombard the town. He fired a sustained burst, and even though the shots had not been properly aimed the sheer volume and size of the rounds fired tore the entire hillside to pieces, those vehicles not being hit directly were flung around by the explosions like toys.

The surviving armour scurried in every direction, their gunners now firing madly at the approaching Eva. Shinji closed on the town quickly ignoring the incoming fire, his cable was after all still behind him. Stopping next to the town he took aim at some more armoured concentrations just behind the next bend. All U.N forces were scattering before him, firing as they went. Shinjis second burst was as deadly as the first, switching to 3 burst mode Shinji started to fire at individual units as well as hurry the fleeing infantry on, Finally the rifle went click and he new it was empty. He placed the gun down next to the town, creating a sort of barrier for the NERV personnel and remaining civilians in the town to make it to the access shaft.

Having received Misatos orders over their own comms links the surviving units, the number of which was a surprise to Shinji given the towns level of destruction, started to move across the clearing to the access shaft, Unit 01 effectively shielding them from a lot of the heavy fire. Misato ordered the planes to strafe the opposite hill to protect the fleeing troops as Shinji deployed his AT field to deflect a wider angle of fire. The U.N Forces were still in disarray though their level of fire was still up, the opposite hill was effectively silenced by the air run as massive explosions ran along the length of the hill.

Misato gave Shinji orders to move on to his next objectives. Shinji turned to see that most of the people had already evacuated, the last remaining units & civilians just reaching the access shaft, the last person in waving up at Shinji before closing the hatch behind him.

Lowering his AT field he made his way up to the opposite ridge taking the rocket launcher of his back as he did. The remaining U.N infantry scrambled to get out of the way as the massive Evas hands and feet made their way up the hillside. Reaching the top the Eva stood up to observe its surroundings, from his perch Shinji could see the three major roads that lead into the mountainous area of Nerve HQ. As there were many valleys and rivers all three routs had bridges and tunnels on their way into the mountains.

The U.N forces further back, informed of their colleges fate just up the valley, were prepared for the Evas appearance. They had spread themselves evenly over the entire area, and awaited the arrival of the Eva, commenced a withering fire on site. The units targeted the rocket launcher, the ground around the Evas Feet and the Evas head with high explosive rounds. Inside the cockpit of unit 01 Shinjis world turned bright orange, as he used his hands to shield the rocket launcher and cable, Eva 01 armour managed to absorb the initial barrage. Shinji waited for a lull in the fire before bringing the rocket launcher up to his shoulder, aiming quickly he fired two bursts at a bridge and tunnel, both located about 3 km away. Though the shot was hurried the explosive power of the rocket was enough to effectively demolish both targets, blocking off two roads. Shinji turned to target the third objective, a large bridge about 4km away. However just before he could line up the target and pull the trigger the UN heavy Rocket launchers all simultaneously targeted the ground at Shinjis feet, the impact of the massive barrage effectively disintegrating part of the hill. Shinji gave out a yell as his Eva lost balance, falling awkwardly into the valley just adjacent of the one he had been fighting from, Power cable being pulled down behind him.

Misato and Rei let out similar gasps of horror as Shinjis Eva disappeared into a large cloud of dust. Rei reacted quickly, grabbing the assault riffle and standing up. To far away to close the distance Rei quickly set about calculating the trajectory for an effective bombardment.

Seeing what Rei was planning, from her observation of her on-board system, Misato instinctively ordered the protecting fighters to fall back.

Rei, hearing the command to the fighters, completed her calculations and aimed the rifle into the air. Firing off one continuous burst the shots streaked into the sky, arcing gracefully before started their downward journey onto the battlefield.

The U.N forces were re-positioning themselves to fire on the downed Evas cable when Reis fire came in. Reis bombardment impacted, knocking out a couple of units but more importantly throwing massive amount of dust and dabree into the air, and generally placing the U.N units under stress and confusion. The situation calmed down a bit from the massive impact only moments before, both sides trying to recover from their respective bad situations. Surrounded by dust, the view from Shinjis Eva was significantly quieter then moments before. Reis and Misato screen came back on line in Shinjis Eva.

"Are you O.K Shinji?" asked Rei concerned.

"Yah no problem" said Shinji. Eva 01 slowly got back up, the dust cloud still thick around it. Shinji looked around, attempting to pear through the thick smoke and dust. Spotting the rocked launcher laying a little way off. He walked over to pick it up.

"You'll have to go up the next rise Shinji, the slope you were just on is now too unstable" came Misatos voice over the intercom.

"O.K" said Shinji, making his way up the next rise.

"Where is their air-power?" asked Shinji on his way up, dust still thick around him.

"I don't know" said Misato a little concerned, she had expected them much earlier. Worried she glanced over the tactical map. The situation was looking bad enough with the enemy units that were already there, but Misato new there still was a large part of the enemy air force they had not committed yet. Shinji made his way up the hill, his Eva emerging at the top. The top half of his Eva managed to break through the dust cloud, which was now seemingly just hovering, relatively stationary. Bringing the rocket launcher to bare he lined up the final bridge, pulling the trigger he confidently fired off one round, the projectile streaked off to its target. Taking a full 5 seconds to reach the target, the rocket exploded, obliterating it utterly.

"Well done" came Misato voice over Shinjis comm. "That will stall the southern front for some time. Shinji make your way back to the shaft, we have to get the two of you over to the communications centre."

Shinji turned to head back when he suddenly froze. From his vantage point perched on top of the hill he could see a very large group of aircraft moving in to cut off his line of retreat.

"The cable" side Misato and Shinji simultaneously. Shinji was now a long way from the entrance. From where he was he could just see unit 00 quite far off in the distance. Shinji reacted quickly, lifting the rocket launcher he fired off the last two rounds back down the valley, impacting next to his cable and throwing massive amounts of dust, dirt and smoke into the air. Dropping the empty launcher, he dove back into the dust cloud, sliding back down the valley sides.

"Retract cable!" yelled Ritsuko in the control room. Misato drew out the intercept point of the U.N fighters on the map.

"All air units move to protect the cable at points E7 on your grid! Hold out as long as you can!" she commanded.

"Yes Ma'm" came the reply. The NERV aircraft shot off from their holding position. They crossed the rise just as the U.N fighters crossed the opposite rise. Due to its quick retraction, the Evas cable could be seen moving around erratically on the valley floor. Both sides opened fire on each other, all planes manoeuvring frantically to avoid each others volleys, countermeasures filled the air as the sky filled with missiles and bullets. Two NERV aircraft fell soon after the opening engagement the other three manoeuvring frantically to the sides. Two U.N planes were also hit, a third suddenly exploded. Shocked, the U.N pilots looked up to see the smoke trail remains of a tracer, following it back they could just make out the prone figure of unit 00 behind the snipper riffle. Another aircraft exploded and the survivors dove into the valley to take cover. The three NERV aircraft were now in full retreat backing off frantically down the valley. Suddenly Shinjis voice came over the pilots intercom, telling them to retreat to the communications centre immediately.

Gratefully, and not even waiting for Misatos approval, the NERV pilots turned their aircraft and darted over the hills. A following U.N craft being brought down by Rei. The remaining U.N aircraft in the valley tried to right themselves from their sudden dive and struggled to line themselves up for a shot at the thrashing cable. Before they could fire however Shinji appeared from the dust cloud, they could see the massive form of his Eva sprinting down the valley, retracting cable in one hand. The cable was almost taut as he was matching speed with the retreating cable. Still running Shinji gave the cable a flick, sending a massive kink travelling down its moving length, then he followed up by a massive jerk to one side. The kink travelled fast down the cables length reaching the UN forces just as they opened fire, the cable actually hit one of the aircraft while the others swerved violently to avoid the thrashing cable. This was followed by the massive jerk in the line which wiped it violently into the hillside, the U.N aircraft were manoeuvring frantically to avoid it, not wanting to get above the valley for fear of Reis sniping. Though the sight of the Massive Eva bearing down on them fast made the thought of Reis firing less threatening. All turned to retreat, the first U.N aircraft back above the Valley being brought down by the deadly fire of Rei, Another aircraft was too slow, being caught by Shinji and flung into the valley floor. The remaining aircraft dashed over and away. Shinji started to clamber up the valley wall, attempting to get back to the valley he had started in. He managed to make it over, getting his first clear view of the entrance, though it was still a minute or two away.

Red lights appeared on Misatos screen and she was prompted to 3 small triangles coming in from the west.

"Rei!" yelled Misato "get back to the entrance of the shaft and raise your AT field! They're going to try and block it off before Shinji gets back!"

Rei sprung into action, sliding down the side of the hill roughly.

Misato could see on her screen that the bombers had released their massive missiles and had turned away, anxiously she looked on.

Rei continued to slide down the hill coming to rest just near the entrance, she quickly ran in front of it, bringing the two hands of her Eva together to raise her AT field. The hexagonal field came up just as the three missiles cleared the last rise and bore down on the entrance.

Shinji, running, could see all this ahead of him and had to shield his eyes from the light of the impact. The simultaneous explosion off all three missiles was massive, Rei straining to hold her position.

The intense light passed, opening her eyes Rei could see that all of the ground in front and around Eva 00 was massively scared, Shinjis cable now being well and truly cut. A massive gully had been formed in front of the entrance.

Shinji, seeing this sped up. Reaching the significantly sized gully he leaped over the final obstacle, flying gracefully through the air. There was however no place to land, unit 00 occupied the solid ground in front of the entrance and there was no room for anyone ells. Still flying Shinji flung is arms wide, grabbing hold of Rei before violently crashing into her. Unit 01's momentum carried the two of them tumbling into the entrance chamber, then onwards down the shaft. Behind the two rolling Evas another missile slammed into the top of the entrance chamber, collapsing it, and effectively sealing the entrance behind them. The two Evas slid some ways down the shaft before finally coming to a stop, Unit 01 lying awkwardly on top of Unit 00.

Both pilots lay there, panting for a second, their only distraction being the red light of the battery countdown sequence, which had started as soon as both their cables were cut. Shinji and Rei looked at each other for a second. Shinji gave Rei a weak grin, suddenly Misato reappeared on screen, she did not look happy.

"You'll have enough time for that later you two. Now make your way back down the shaft to transit point D3, there you will find extra battery packs, that should give you enough power to get to the communications centre. You'll have to manually make your way through cross shaft 17 to get there, but once there you can re-plug in." Misato finished. Shinji gave Rei a wink and helped her Eva up into a crouching position.

"Lets go my guardian angel" said Shinji. Rei gave him a smile and both made their way down the shaft.

Meanwhile in the control room things were not looking so good. The northern front had collapsed and U.N forces controlled most of the surface of the geo-front, and were making in rows onto the catacombs.

"It's a good thing we put Asuka and unit 02 in the bottom of the lake," said Ritsuko, she could see that enemy commandos had broke into the holding pens.

"Ya" Replied Misato, looking across at a screen showing Asuka huddled in her entry plug. The U.N forces in the geo-front however had spotted the hiding Eva, and missile launchers trained their turrets, launching a volley of depth chargers into the lake.

The canisters floated down softly, impacting violently around the still Eva. Inside the sunken unit 02, Asuka cringed at the shock waves.

Inside Eva unit 02 only the low rumbling of the depth charges could be heard. Amidst the rumbling of the depth charges however a very quiet voice was audible.

"I don't want to die" said Asuka, quietly but quickly.

"I don't want to die" again it could be heard.

"I don't want to die"

More depth charges impacted on the Evas surface

"I don't want to die" came the louder call.

"I don't want to die!" Asuka repeated.

High above Tokyo 3 a high altitude bomber glimmered in the sun. Flying almost effortlessly at this altitude the giant plane appeared to lazily open its bomb-bay.

From far below a small dot could be seen being released from the speck that was the bomber, the bomb making its way downwards, falling gracefully without a sound towards the surface.

From far away it was an awesome sight, the N2 mine impacted, making a light brighter then the sun. Back inside NERV, everyone held on as the ground shook and trembled.

Explosion finally over it could be seen that the N2 mine had torn a perfect circle into the roof of the geo-front, exposing it to the outside world for the first time. Even before anyone had time to recover from the initial shock of the now open roof a massive missile barrage entered in through the newly opened hole, again causing the earth to shake with the shear volume of explosions.

Back in unit 02 all this activity had been heard as continuous rumbling, having repeated her previous lines through the ordeal, Asuka finished up by raising her head, eyes defiant, to scream out one more time.

"I don't want to die!!!"

Immediately after Asukas triumphant call to the world, Eva unit 02 went fully active.

Back in the control room all were still coming to grips with the last barrage when they noticed that unit 02 had gone active. They watched in amazement as unit 02 rose from the lake, a nerve destroyer lifted above its head. Misato cringed as she saw a missile barrage come in and impact on the destroyer. The NERV staff watched as unit 02 threw the entire destroyer at the shore, it landing on the offending missile launchers. Huge explosions rocked the shoreline. Asuka, on an adrenalins high, was non responsive to Misato's calls, yelling to herself at the top of her lungs, as UN aircraft came in to engage the new threat.

Asuka appeared to be going berserk, deploying her AT field and engaging the aircraft in hand to hand combat, impressively taking them all out with her wild attacking.

In the command room Gendo listened to her swear in German, watching on the screen as she tore apart her attackers. She wasn't however paying attention to the overall tactical picture, and soon the ground forces managed to cut her umbilical power cord. The Eva froze for a few seconds, then, looked up.

Misato finally looked at the tactical control map, not having been able to look down in all the excitement. Her mouth dropped.

"Commander!" she yelled, not believing her eyes.

"There are… 12….. Evas" she finally stated. Fear and disbelief causing her to stutter "Circling unit two" she finished, still sounding totally shocked.

"Unit 02 only has 4 minutes of power left!" Ritsuko shouted, bringing Misato back to her senses. Commander Ikari however, was not fazed, he was as cool as always.

"Tell unit 00 to go on to the command centre, unit 01 is to return to support Asuka" he said evenly.

"But that's still 12 against 2" Misato protested.

"Do you not have faith in our pilots" asked Gendo evenly. Misato gave him a scowl, turning back to the control panels.

Misato immediately relayed the information to Shinji and Rei. Who were both shocked to hear the news.

"Asuka's O.K.?" asked Shinji, shock and happiness in his voice.

"She soon won't be if you don't get back here" came Misatos serious reply "She's lost her umbilical cord, she only has 4 minutes left". Shinji looked up at Rei who was ahead of him, unwilling to leave her, but anxious to go.

"I will be fine, she needs you" said Rei, giving him a reassuring smile. Shinji and his Eva nodded, and with that he released his grip and started to slide back down the access shaft, back down to the geo-front.

They had almost been at the entry point and Rei entered the underground holding area next to the above ground communications centre. Grabbing a rifle and plugging herself in, she emerged from the access shaft just under the communications centre.

The scene was quite simply amazing, NERV forces had concentrated on this one hill, pulling together a surprising amount of heavy weaponry and armour. The initial attacks had been totally repulsed but now with the entire front secured the U.N had brought in a lot of heavy weaponry into this remote location. There was an intense firefight going on, with tracers flying in all conceivable directions. The last NERV line of defence was seriously battered and the embattled troops gave a cheer at the sight of the Eva.

The communications station had not been directly targeted but looked pretty battered anyway, a number of temporary communications units were stationed around the hill, the engineers trying frantically to maintain a line of communication. The U.N attack faltered at the sight of the Eva and fire was redirected at the large robot. Rei, her expression turning to grim determination, stepped out into the fray.

Meanwhile back down in the geo-front, Asuka calculated exactly how much time she had to kill each of the enemy Evangelions. The 12 Evangelions had landed, their wings folding together and the glider packs disengaged from their backs, they were slightly smaller then the NERV Evas. Not appearing to be armoured they looked more like massive animals then robots, a mark like a large hideous smile on their longish heads, making them look like decidedly unpleasant creatures. By their deliberate movements it was quickly apparent that these units were unmanned, the stiff clinical nature of the dummy plug showing through, each one carried a large double bladed weapon shining menacingly in the sun.

Asuka did not waste any time, she sprang into action, screaming obscenities as she raced around tearing the attacking unmanned Evangelions (UM Evas) apart. Her manoeuvres were awe inspiring as she utilised all of her impressive combat skills to completely outclass her opponents. They started dropping like flies, number 5 down. Then 6. Then 7! She closed on another group, impaling one UM unit with its own weapon, 25 seconds left, she closed on the last 2 taking one apart with a few swift moves, and finished with a decisive blow to impale the last standing unit, just as her power failed.

Unit 02 shutting down around her, Asuka physically slumped in her seat, exhausted with her efforts, but still a massive smile on her face.

"I didn't even need your help Shinji." she said in a somewhat mocking tone.

Back in the command centre, all were still marvelling at her success when suddenly Ritsuko shouted out.

"Their still moving!" she exclaimed.

Sure enough, all around Asuka the "corpses" of the slain UM Evas began to move, seemingly magically healing themselves of their sickening wounds. The more heavily injured ones, Misato observing from the command centre, taking considerably longer.

"What!" shouted Asuka. " What's going on, this isn't fair!"

There was obvious fear in her voice, eyes wide with disbelief she watched as one of the Evas completed healing itself. Standing up slowly it turned to face Asuka, smiling menacingly. Calmly, it started to walk towards her.

"Damn it Shinji, where are you when I need you!" Asuka yelled out, slamming her fists on her controls and hanging her head. The re-configured UM unit closed in, piking up a fallen weapon on the way towards unit 02. Moving up it stopped directly in front of her, slowly raising its large black bladed weapon. Asuka screamed in rage as it swang back and brought the weapon down. Seemingly in slow motion it swung down elegantly, just before the blade struck however it itself was hit multiple times by projectiles ,forcing it from its deadly direction, and just missing unit 02. Asuka swung her head around to her right. Off in the distance Asuka could see unit 01 racing across the geo-front, rifle in one arm and extra battery pack and umbilical cord being held in the other.

Shinji fired another burst, the rounds impacting in the side of the attacking Eva. Its soft body being torn apart by the high explosive rounds, it stumbled away from unit 02 falling down heavily.

"Shinji!" yelled Asuka in delight. She was interrupted by a proximity warning, three other enemy Evas had regenerated and were closing on her, fast. Looking down again she realised she wasn't saved yet.

"Hurry up already!" she yelled into the consol.

"Yah Yah" replied the angry voice of Shinji. He was having difficulty carrying the batteries and rifle, as well as dragging the umbilical cord along the ground. During any other moment it may have appeared comical, Shinji occasionally tripped and scampered along the ground, firing awkwardly on the closing UM Evas.

The enemy UM Evas however were now aware of his presence, and dodged the fire, closed in on unit 02. Shinji heard Asukas unease over the comms link. Letting out a loud shout in determination Eva unit 01 speed up even faster, the dragging cable decimating the terrain behind him and throwing up a massive dust cloud. Racing at an unbelievable speed Shinji was almost up to Asuka, dropping the cable and batteries he threw his Eva into the air. Asuka flinched as Shinjis Eva came flying at her feet first. Shinji, using his now free hand to push off of unit 02s shoulder barely cleared unit 02, Unit 01 buried its heal in the face of an UM unit just beyond Asukas Eva. The momentum of his Evas mass being transferred, he landed on the spot while the enemy Eva flew backwards. Landing on both feet Shinji brought his gun around in a wide ark butt first, hitting another Eva in the side of the head. Swinging his gun back around and into a firing position he fired on the stumbling Eva, tearing its soft body apart.

"Behind you!" screamed Asuka. Shinji turned just in time to raise his gun, catching the plunging blade of the third attacking Eva. The blade went half through his weapon, sparks flying as the metal twisted. The rifle held however and a furious Shinji twisted the gun, dragging the base of the Evas weapon into the ground. Releasing one hand he snatched at the arm of the enemy UM Eva then freed his other to land a heavy hit into the head of the creature. Stunned the creature released its grip on the giant blade, and stumbled back. Using its confusion Shinji stepped forward, grabbing hold of the faltering enemy and using his weight to swing the creature around and throw the entire UM unit through the air at the regenerating form of yet another enemy Eva. A massive amount of debris was thrown up and Shinji had time to slump a little to gain his breath, his heart beating at a stupendous rate.

"Nice moves third child" came a sudden sarcastic, but also joyous, voice of Asuka over the intercom.

"But if you wouldn't mind…. I don't like being helpless if you haven't noticed" she said with a smile. Shinji, catching he's breath, managed to give her a wry smile between the gasps. Stumbling over to the dropped umbilical cord, he returned quickly to the task of reconnecting unit 02.

"Looks like I owe you again third child" said Asuka, while Shinji fumbled to get the umbilical cord to connect. Shinji grinned. Power returned to Eva unit 02, its form suddenly standing erect once more, its stretching arms fully enjoying its regained ability of movement.

"Ahhhh!" let out Asuka, in a long satisfied pure. Her circuits were activating one by one and as she heard the clicks of the extra battery packs being put into place by Shinji behind her, her Eva was back up to full operating conditions.

"Thanks Shinji" she said happily, looking over her shoulder at Shinji. She turned back to look at her consol, eying the reformed enemy Evas.

Picking up a discarded enemy blade she readied herself.

"So who wants some ha!" she said devilishly, a twisted smile on her face.

The enemy Evas had mostly reformed, reclaiming their weapons and forming into three groups to prepare for a simultaneous attack. They had obviously learnt from Asukas original onslaught.

"Asuka, Shinji, I want you to pull back right now! Your position is too exposed" came suddenly the voice of Major Katsuragi off the comms.

"Misato!" whined Asuka, the thought of retreat not on her mind.

"Calm down Asuka" replied Misato " I want you to take care of a group of 3 just north of HQ on the way back, then wait for the others attack, I don't want your umbilical cords cut again so far from base" she said evenly. Asuka, again an evil smile on her face, turned to Shinji.

"Are you ready third?" she asked seductively. Holding the large blade weapon in a prone position.

"Anytime Asuka" Shinji replied arrogantly. Withdrawing his progressive knife and preparing his Eva. "Charge!!!" screamed Asuka as the two Evas started to sprint to their new targets.

Back in the control room, the Commanders had less to smile about, they could see the U.N ground forces closing in on the two Evas in the geo-front. And even though they could not harm the units directly, the Evas cable and batteries were their target, and after these were destroyed they only had to wait it out. And as for the fight in the catacombs, they were down to their second last defensive line, soon the U.N troops would be able to cut all power from the source, then it was really all over.

"Damn it, why does he not respond" came the hushed but venomous voice of Gendo. In the quite tense atmosphere of the control room this could be heard over the rumble of the not to far off explosions. Ritsuko and Misato exchanged worried glances, it was unlike the Commander to show any concern whatsoever.

"Is the live feed still active" asked Fuyuzuki calmly, standing next to Gendo.

"Yes commander" replied Ritsuko. " We're down to one unit but its still live."

Just then an alarm rang out, unit 00s umbilical cable had finally been cut, and the familiar 5 minutes appeared on the large screen and began to count down.

"Damn it!" spat Misato. "There's no other cable out there, were going to have to tell her to retreat"

She reached for the intercom switch.

"No" interrupted Gendo from behind. Misato span around

"What?!" she exclaimed.

"I will talk to her" said Gendo. And before Misato could respond he reached towards his own control board.

"Rei" he said. A camera link with Rei suddenly appearing on the screen.

"Yes commander" came the voice Rei Ayanami, slightly more stressed then usual.

"What is the situation?" he asked calmly.

"Not good" she said simply "the position will fall soon regardless of my action"

The screen shook as another barrage impacted on her Eva.

"Rei I want you to hold out as long as possible do you understand me" he said.

"Yes commander" she replied, returning to her completely dull monotone voice, though her eyes showed something else.

"And Rei, however you do it" the commander continued, looking at her image on the screen "come back alive" and with that he leant back in the chair. Rei face noticeable changed to one of slight surprise, then determination.

"Yes commander"

And with that her link snapped shut. Misato and Ritsuko exchanged slightly shocked looks then returned to the combat screens.

Outside around Rei the world was in chaos, somehow the level of fire from both sides had managed to increase, both sides expecting a final push so using all their remaining ammunition. Tracers and explosions were all around as UN forces covered the hills like ants. Rei had been forced onto the communications hill itself using her Eva and her AT field to protect the forces behind her. The hill itself was almost a complete loss, almost all mobile units were destroyed and only two pockets of NERV forces remained, one at the mobile unit immediately behind (and almost under) Reis Eva and the other group at the rubble that was the old command centre. Though even from the rubble the rate of fire of the embattled forces was still impressive. Reis Eva was simply out of its elements, She had spent most of her time defending her cable and the hill. After her assault rifle had ran out of rounds she had no offensive capabilities left, the U.N forces were too spread out to engage directly, and effectively. The U.N forces had concentrated fire on her cable and she was surprised it had remained intact this long, only due to her constant vigilance and movement had it remained intact. Her Eva itself was not looking that brilliant either, under constant barrage from AP and HE rounds the armour was wearing thin in some places, she had fallen heavily a couple of times and her AT Field only protected from some angles. It was like a praying mantis verses a swarm of ants, there were simply to many of them. Caught by another barrage on the earth below her feet unit 00 lost its footing and fell heavily, almost crushing the mobile field unit she was protecting.

Back in the control centre, the timer was down to three minutes, The control room was quiet as reports of the collapse of the second last defence line came through.

"Well that's it then" said Shigeru, reaching below the desk and bringing up an uzi.

"Ya" said Makoto, cocking his own hand-gun. "Well at least we gave it one hell of a shot" he fished, eyeing the east entrance expectantly,.

Gunfire and explosions could be heard very close now. Suddenly however a face appeared on the main screen it was the Minister of Defence.

"Gendo Ikari" he said calmly.

"Minister Muyo" said Gendo, good hand in front of his mouth "I trust this call means that aid will be arriving imminently."

"It has taken some time to pull together a task force at such short notice, though given what I have seen from the live feed I feel I should commit now with what I have" he said evenly.

"That is a most fortuitous move" replied Gendo "So what assets do we have?"

"We have 2000 assorted infantry and specialists with close air-support 1 minute away from NERV HQ and whatever air assets are available are already engaged for air superiority with the JSDA U.N units, more units will be arriving shortly" he continued.

"Commander, I would ask that the troops descend directly into the Geo-front and land just east of NERV HQ, markers will be displayed there, and NERV troops will direct them to the most critical location." said Gendo calmly. "I would also ask that they set up communications as soon as possible as we are about to loose our link"

In the command centre all eyes were on Gendo, Misato gave him an expectant look. Not noticing her he continued. "Given that, I would ask that any available air units proceed to Mt Tokowana immediately, to cover our last remaining surface units retreat."

"It shall be done" said Minister Muyo, after which he suddenly clicked off, the NERV link finally having been broken. Fast as lightning Gendo looked up at the surface tactical screen, appraising the situation. The service entrance that unit 00 had appeared through was already destroyed, unit 00 was trapped on the surface. He clicked the intercom, unit 00 only had about one minute of power left.

"Rei I want you to position the Eva so as to manually eject as close as possible to the communications centre, you and the remaining forces are to retreat immediately down the access shaft." commanded Gendo hurriedly. "Is that understood?"

On the screen Rei nodded, her screen disappeared, as she was cut off once more.

Up on the surface Rei was crouched low, physically shielding the retreat of the mobile command centre operators and guarding troops back to the command centre. With only 30 seconds of power left she covered the final distance crawling, as the troops scrambled over the debris into what was left of the communications centre. With 20 seconds left, Eva unit 00 lay down, positioning its entry plug to discharge, point blank, into the rubble next to the last open entrance. Giving her final command she pressed the eject switch and sat back as the entry plug shot out of the Eva into the rubble. Now without power the Entry plug went dark She crawled over to the entrance when suddenly a massive explosion rocked the entry plug. Rei lost her footing and fell back, landing awkwardly.

Had the U.N launched one final barrage to cut off her last retreat? She sat there for a second, contemplating her death at the hand of the approaching U.N troops. Before she could think about it for to long however the entry plug was opened from outside. Rei backed away apprehensively.

"Anyone alive in here?" asked a surprisingly calm and welcoming voice. Reis eyes adjusted to the bright light and recognised a NERV uniform. A smile on her face, she moved towards him. The young captain helped Rei out and onto the rubble, other then him there were only 6 NERV troops guarding the entrance to the rubble.

"We had better go." he said, lifting her up without hesitation, and carrying her back to the communications centres entrance. Looking either way Rei saw that the area was surprisingly quiet, the hilltop was surrounded by a massive veil of smoke and dust, Unknown to Rei a government JSDF bombing run had temporarily thrown the U.N forces into disarray. Rei only saw the surrounding terrain as a blur however as she was quickly carried into the rubble. Putting her back on her feet the captain led her towards a hatch. Rei went down the ladder first, the last of the NERV personnel quickly followed, closing the hatch behind them. Descending frantically they were about 4 stories down when the captain turned to one of his men and nodded. They ran down a corridor and Rei heard an explosion behind her, obviously sealing the entrance.

Moving again Rei turned a corner, and suddenly stopped. In front of her lay a shocking scene of carnage and suffering, the hall was filled with wounded men and woman, some lying some sitting, smears of blood covering everything. Shocked Rei was unable to move, simply standing there, taking in the scene. Moving past her still form, the Captain said.

"Well we have done our part, its up to the others now"

And with that the two of them moved to try and help the wounded as best they could.

Back on the surface of the geo front the situation was not looking good. Two more UM enemy Evas were down, which made a total of 5 which were regenerating. Though 2 were having trouble, given the amount of damage that they had sustained. The rest had closed on the two pilots and were engaged in close combat. Both cables had been cut and the two Evas were on their battery packs with about 20min of combat left. Given the sheer number of adversaries the two Evas were back to back spending their time deflecting attacking blows from the circle of surrounding enemy Evas. Shinji having captured a enemy weapon at this stage. The attacks were only coming in sporadically, non of the attackers were willing to engage fully, only cutting off their retreat and waiting for the power to run out. The scene was intense, with positioning and tense waiting mixed in with occasional frenzied attack.

"Bloody cowards!" yelled Asuka as the latest attacker quickly backed off from its initial sortie.

"Damn it! This is getting us no where!" yelled Shinji at the world in general.

Back in the command centre Misato was contemplating, she turned to Ritsuko.

"How are these things regenerating themselves?" she asked almost accusingly.

"They must each have an S2 engine, hooked up specially in them or something" Ritsuko replied. "Considering how much energy it would take, there must be a core unit somewhere".

"Shinji, Asuka! Take them all down, then concentrate on one each and take it apart until you find their core. Then take it out with your progressive knife!" yelled Misato over the comms.

"You think its that easy! They're getting better you know!" came the angry voice of Asuka.

"Its that or death! You only have 15min left!" said Misato coldly. Suddenly Shinjis window came up in Asukas EVA, he was smiling oddly.

"Not up for the challenge 2nd child?" he said teasingly. Asuka was momentarily shocked, he hadn't used that term to her before and the emphasis on the second was just a little too obvious. Returning to her usual smirk Asuka said

"Lets go Shinji, you and me… well take out the three in front of you first.. on three"

"Two"

"One"

"GO!!!!!" Asuka screamed, turning her Eva around so quickly that she was almost even with Shinji as they raced off to their first three targets. The enemy was quick to react and closed in, hoping to catch the two from behind. The three enemy UM Evas in front of the pilots looked like they were about to flee the two advancing units but then readied themselves. So this was it, both sides fully committed, only one side would be left standing at the end of this battle.

Both pilots were screaming as they bore down on their targets, Asuka suddenly launched her Eva into the air, soaring high into the sky her Eva paused for a second, before it beared down on its targets. Two enemy units raised their heads to follow her flight, ready to strike on her descent. The third kept track of Shinji who had sped up. Asuka, looking down, noticed the third UM unit not tracking her, and threw her blade down as hard as she could. One upward looking enemy unit tried to deflect the downward plunging blade with its own to save its comrade, but was just out of reach, Asukas weapon struck home on the downward looking enemy Eva, striking it in the top of the head and effectively slicing it in two. Asuka was descending now and the last Eva was preparing for a killer upwards blow. Shinji however had gone turbo again, and had closed the distance rapidly, catching the last two Evas unaware. Sliding low he delivered an upwards cut to the unit that had tried to deflect Asukas blade and was still recovering from the effort. He then raised himself quickly, spinning around and delivered a massive horizontal cut to the back of the enemy unit waiting on Asukas descent. It was effectively cut in half, and began to fall when Asukas outstretched leg landed on its now lifeless form, driving its upper torso into the ground in a massive explosion of dust. They had no time to rest however, as the remaining 4 closed in with speed. Deflecting the two blades aimed at him, Shinjis Eva was never the less hit hard, firstly by a kick and elbow from the first unit as it sped by, carried by its momentum. Then by the fist of the second UM unit which used its momentum to throw unit 01 back viscously. Shinji landed hard.

Asuka was faring no better against her two opponents, having no weapon she had to back flip to avoid the first stroke. She was caught across the back in the second swing as the enemy unit ran past unable to stop, she yelped as her nerve sensors fired, landing on all four. The other UM unit was closing, and she grabbed a nearby discarded blade and swung it up just in time, the two weapons collided, spinning off into the distance. The second enemy unit, now unarmed, collided headlong into Asukas crouching Eva, sending both of them tumbling back, wrestling. The two giants stopped sliding with the enemy UM unit on top, pinning Asuka to the ground.

Shinji had at this time got back up and was squaring off against the last two, out of the corner of his eye he noticing Asukas plight, her second UM opponent closing to finish the pinned Eva pilot off. Shinji activated his progressive knife, grabbing it with his right hand and throwing it in one smooth motion.

Asuka was struggling on the ground, cringing to look up at the other approaching UM unit, when suddenly the unit holding her down went limp, looking back she saw Shinjis progressive knife sticking out of the side of its head. Grinning evilly she grabbed the knife and swung it above her head, cutting the feet of the approaching Eva out from under it. It however had already raised its weapon and fell forward, the end of its blade penetrated the shoulder armour of unit 02. Asuka screamed and drove the knife into the torso of the falling unit. Stricken, it collapsed on top of her, and she was effectively covered by two fallen units.

Meanwhile Shinji was still not doing well, he had slightly damaged one unit but he himself had received cuts and blows, his left leg was seriously damaged and his left hand had also lost strength. He had also lost both battery packs and was down to 5 minutes power. Deciding to charge he lunged forward, deflecting and slashing wildly he managed to impale one enemy unit with his blade, though now unable to retrieve his weapon he was forced to let go. Throwing himself back to avoid the other UM units swing of its weapon. Unit 01 quickly sprung back up, but now without a weapon the situation did not look good. Squaring up the last two units sized each other up, circling each other for a few seconds. The scene was surprisingly quiet now that they were the last two standing.

Unit 01 stopped moving and stood feet apart, arms stretched wide waiting for the inevitable attack…. The enemy unit moved slowly, setting itself up for the final lung. Shinji was becoming impatient.

"Come on you bastard finish me off!!!!" he screamed. The enemy unit began to charge obligingly. Shinji cringed, awaiting the inevitable. However as the enemy unit brought its blade up it began to stumble. Dropping its weapon, it faltered, falling hard, its limp body slid to rest at the feet of the surprised Shinji in unit 01. Shinji looked down astonished, he saw his progressive knife sticking out of the UM enemy units back. Looking up he saw the standing figure of Asuka's Eva, still posed in its last throwing position.

"No one kicks Shinjis ass but me!" Asuka said triumphantly. Shinji smiled at her

"Thanks Asuka" he said simply. Suddenly however Misatos face appeared in the bottom left hand side of theirs screens.

"Hurry up you two! Before they regenerate!" She said with worry in her voice.

"Sure thing" said Shinji coming to his senses. Both Evas grabbed their progressive knives and went to work on the nearest fallen enemy. They tore and cut at the bodies of the enemy, the UM units soft matter reacting to the blows, trying to minimise the damage, as well as….. hide something?

"Ewww this is disgusting!" came the appalled voice of Asuka as the body squirmed and stuttered underneath her.

"That's it!" came the voice of Ritsuko " That green sphere you see occasionally, the body is trying to hide it, that's the S2 engine!" Both pilots moved frantically, cutting away the mass, then almost simultaneously they both yelled

"Got it!"

Holding the green mass in their hand, they noticed that the remaining fleshy body still attached to the sphere tried to form a protective layer.

"Now I want you two to destroy it with your knifes, be careful though, they will probably self destruct." said Ritsuko.

"Wonderful" said Asuka eyeing her cylinder. Looking over she saw Shinji kneel over a corpse, looking at his own cylinder.

"You ready 3rd child" she said coolly, but with feeling.

"It was great to see you as your old self Asuka" Shinji said with a smile

"You fought well Shinji" she said with feeling. A massive smile appeared on Shinjis face, that was about the best compliment he could think of from Asuka. Both nodded at each other, turning their attention back to the spheres

"Raise AT fields!" came the call from the command centre. Hexagonal fields filled the air around the two Evas. Together the two pilots raised their knives and brought it down on their respective cylinders. For Shinji and Asuka the world turned white.

Back in the command centre the operators shielded their eyes, and then the earth shook. The explosions of the two struck S2 engines was immense, almost as powerful as an N2 mine. Not only that but the initial explosions set off a mini chain reaction, setting off 2 other close by downed UM Evas S2 engines. In what seemed a split second 4 massive craters were ripped into the earth and the plume of fire raised high through the hole in the geo-front up into the atmosphere. The effect was awesome, 4 explosions causing all kinds of effects as the plumes of fire danced and twisted in the tormented atmosphere. In the command centre alarms were sounding all over the place. But the rumble quickly died down.

The screen showed that the two Evas had landed awkwardly after being thrown around by the multiple explosions, The both ended up lying on the ground on the NERV HQ side of the nearest crater.

"There still alive!" exclaimed Misato joyfully, looking at the still shacking screen. The AT fields had absorbed the majority of the impact, however the sheer force of the impact and the number of directions it had sprung from had thrown the Evas around violently. Both Asukas battery packs were destroyed and she was down to 5 minutes, Shinji now on 2min of power.

"Asuka, Shinji, are you O.K." came Misatos voice over the intercom. A groan came from Asuka, Shinji grunted with effort to raise his Eva. The explosion had further damaged Shinjis leg and Asukas back, Shinji could not walk with confidence, and he hobbled over to Asuka.

"You O.K. Asuka?" he asked, pain obvious in his voice.

"Yah… I'm fine" she said weakly, getting up.

"You two retreat back to HQ, your almost out of power, there are still 8 out there" came Misatos concerned voice.

"I can't run on this leg" said Shinji, looking down with concern.

"That's what I'm here for" came the voice of Asuka, taking his Evas arm and placing it around her Evas shoulder. Quickly the two hobbled and stumbled out of the crater and made there way back to HQ.

"Now don't take advantage of this Baka" came the cheeky voice of Asuka, trying hard to help Shinji move quickly.

"Wouldn't dream of it" replied Shinji smiling, and the two continued on their way determinedly.

In the command centre Misato and co were looking for the condition of the enemy, the four furthest away had regenerated and picked up their glider sets.

"They may be coming in at you via air" warned Misato.

"This just isn't fair" came Asukas whiney voice in reply, but she piked up the tempo almost dragging Shinji along.

The four units sprung into the air, gaining height quickly, weapons in hand. They rushed towards the two units. Closing in from above the situation looked hopeless, the two Evas hobbling defenceless bellow the flying creatures. The UM units closed in, and just as it looked like the end for the two NERV Evas, the attackers suddenly changed course. Swooping low over the two retreating Evas, the UM units gained hight again. Forming a tight circle in the air, simply gliding around as they had been at the start of the engagement.

In the command centre reports were coming in, the Japanese air force had gained air superiority and the ground forces were starting to push back the U.N forces in the catacombs. As well as this an armoured brigade was starting to engage UN JSDA forces in the northernmost areas. Some units had already surrendered, or asked for a cease fire, unsure why they found themselves suddenly fighting fellow countryman, and why their superiors were suddenly no longer contactable for comment. The ground condition was deteriorating rapidly for the SEELE controlled UN forces, now in a state of disarray.

"That's it, we've done it!" exclaimed Maya cheerfully.

"I hope the enemy Evas realise that" came the calm but somehow loud voice of Gendo. They all looked up at the screen, still showing the two damaged Evas making there way back to headquarters, behind them the four enemy Evas gliding through the air…. There was a strange silence as all watched expectantly. Suddenly however a smoke trail appeared from left of screen as an enthusiastic Japanese Air-force pilot fired a missile off at the gliding Evas. It struck one in the leg, doing minimal damage, however this seemed to have the desired effect, as the four suddenly descended to their 4 still surviving comrades, who were still regenerating despite massive burns. Picking up the forms of their fallen comrades in various states of regeneration all 8 sprung into the air, piking up speed as they made their way out of the geo-front and away, flying low over the mountains to the south.

In the command centre, they were all speechless, as if not believing their own eyes. Then suddenly, as if to emphasise the point, a voice came over the intercom, it was a young lieutenant.

"We did it! The U.N forces are in full retreat………. The fighting's over!!!"

At these words the command centre broke into hysteria! There was cheering and joyful outburst as the staff began to embrace each other enthusiastically. Protocol went right out the window as everyone let loose emotions of relief, everyone embracing everyone else. Above it all Gendo and Fuyuzuki looking down, smiles on their faces. In-between the furore downstairs Misato turned to give the two commanders a quick salute, eyes gleaming in tears of joy before she was mobbed by another enthusiastic staff member, Ritsuko also turned to give an approving nod and smile to the two before returning to the enthusiasm.

Gendo stood up end enjoyed the scene, Fuyuzuki joining him at the railing. Gendo turned, offering his hand to Fuyuzuki.

"Well done professor" he said.

"Well done Commander" replied Fuyuzuki, shaking his hand. The two exchanged a smile and turned back to the celebrations below. His smile decreasing a little, Gendo spoke.

"And now we must go on the offensive" he said solemnly. Fuyuzukis face turned serious once more as he looked out onto the crowd below.

"The old men at SEELE must be stoped once and for all, and they're not going down without a fight" The smile was now completely gone from Gendos face his expression turned serious, Fuyuzuki nodded.

All over what was left of NERV headquarters the news was coming through, confirming that the sudden stop in the attack did mean that the fighting was over. From the catacombs to the surface the surviving personnel crawled out of their positions to see the withdrawing U.N units and celebrate with their comrades.

Over near the now sealed entrance of the last communications hill Rei finished up bandaging a leg when the news came through from up the corridor.

"That's it! They're in retreat!!! Its over!" yelled the enthusiastic young radio operator, a massive hurray erupted from the survivors and Rei stood up to see everyone start to embrace each other in relief. Suddenly grabbed from behind Rei was spun around a couple of times whilst in a hug before being put back down and spun around. Rei found herself looking into the face of an overjoyed captain Muyo, the same captain that had retrieved her from her entry plug.

"Well done pilot Ayanami you did it!" he said giving her shoulders a little shake. Rei, still a little shocked, looked up at him, but then broke into a smile. Saying in a surprisingly loud voice (so as to be audible above the cheering) she said.

"Thank you captain, we all did well"

And with that the captain turned to embrace some fellow soldiers. Rei watched, a smile on her face at the proceedings, though it faded slightly as she wondered about Shinji's fate.

Back on the surface of the geo-front Shinji and Asuka were suddenly surprised to have the overjoyed face of Misato come on screen, behind her they could see the other personnel all embracing each other and generally carrying on.

"You did it!" they heard Misato scream over the noise around her "Its over, they're in full retreat, you can stop running now!" Misato said, being suddenly grabbed from behind by Makoto and spun around.

Asuka and Shinji, unbelieving, stopped walking, looking back around to see that no more enemy Evas were visible. Completely exhausted the two Evas suddenly stumbled and fell forwards, the legs giving way without the continued efforts of the pilots. Falling forward onto the earth both Evas come to rest lying down, arms splayed.

The gravity of the news began to sink into Shinji mind, and with a massive smile on his face he suddenly had only one thought, to get out of the Eva! Without any more hesitation he pressed the manual eject button and leaned back as the entry plug shot out of the Eva. Waiting for the LCL to drain he forced open the door, jumping out onto the back of unit 01. Elated, Shinji fully stretched his body to embrace the glorious sunrays now filtering through the hole in the geo-front.

Shinji let out a massive. "Yee ha!" at the world in general, totally overjoyed at having survived the battle. Looking fixedly at the blue sky above he suddenly heard a similar feminine cry off to his right. Looking over he saw Asuka on unit 02 also stretching to embrace the world in general, she obviously had had the same impulse.

"Asuka!" he yelled enthusiastically, waving at her.

"Shinji!" she yelled back and started to make her way towards him. Shinji followed suit, both sliding down the backs of their Evas and running to cross the small space of ground between them. Before Shinji knew what happened he was spinning, trying to stay upright as an enthusiastic Asuka had jumped the last distance and embraced him in a massive hug. He had embraced her in return but it took all his strength to stay upright, Asuka actually weighing more then he did. They finally came to a halt, Shinji now smiling out of relief as well as joy. He was still a little dazed.

"We did it, we won!" she yelled, and before he or she new it she had leaned in to give him a short but strong kiss on the lips. Realising what she had just done Asuka was momentarily stunned, looking into the equally stunned face of Shinji. She began to turn red, but then Shinji suddenly broke into laughter and gave her another enthusiastic hug, which she returned, if a little unsurely. Shinji released her from the hug and held her at arms length. Before she had time to react he said.

"Heck, this is great, the only time I can actually hug you and not be beaten to a pulp" he said beaming at her. He released her but stayed were he was, very close. Her red face turned into a smile and she let out a laugh.

"Don't get used to it baka" she said with a playful smile. And with that she gave him a playful punch in the arm. Both beamed.

"Who would have guessed that I would be so happy to see you!" she said in an animatedly playful way, taking a step back.

"It's good to have you back Asuka" Shinji said taking a step forward, briefly placing his hand on her shoulder.

"……. Lets go check on the others!" he said, and with that he started to jog in the direction of NERV HQ. Asuka quickly followed, the two running happily side by side towards HQ.

The mood however could not stay overjoyed for long, as the reality of the situation began to creep back into the visions of the Survivors. The casualty rate was very high. Almost everyone was injured in one way or another, even Shinji and Asuka started walking as their own injuries made themselves known. Even though the rearguard action had been brilliantly organised there were still numerous dead from both sides, and many a NERV personnel started to morn the loss of a close friend or loved one. By the time Shinji and Asuka were in the control room the mood had changed from battle organisation to casualty organisation. Injured lined the corridors and were even in the command centre (the fighting haven gotten right up to the entrance). Shinji and Asuka made their way through the crowd, getting occasional encouraging comments from some of the personnel they passed, the relieved mood persisting somewhat. When they found Misato she was organising the incoming medical supplies and personnel from the Japanese army.

"Shinji, Asuka, I'm so glad you're all right" she said, after giving her last order. Standing up to give them both an enthusiastic hug at once. Releasing them she turning to Asuka.

"I'm so glad your alright Asuka, you had us all worried there for a while!" she beamed at her. Unsure how to respond Asuka smiled and fidgeted on the spot.

"Well I'm .. ah thanks… Misato…" Asuka started to say, just then however a door opened to their left and Rei walked into the room.

"Rei!" exclaimed Shinji, braking Misatos light grip and running over to Rei. As soon as she saw Shinji Rei broke into a big smile `huge for her!!' and ran the short distance to him. They embraced in a massive hug, similar to Asukas and Shinjis though finished up just holding each other.

Asuka was obviously shocked at this new development.

"How long have I been out for?" asked Asuka dumbfounded, staring at the emotional Rei in disbelief.

"You were out for almost a month" said Misato, looking at Shinji and Rei thoughtfully, her arms crossed. Asuka suddenly had a twinge of jealousy, now that she noticed that the two were not letting go of each other, and before she new it she said.

"So where was wonder girl while Shinji and I were risking our lives out there?"

She had said this in her usual loud voice, loud enough to make Shinji and Rei hear and turn towards her. Though after saying this her expression became uncertain, as if she doubted what she had just said.

"Actually, Rei was fighting off an entire division of U.N forces. And keeping our communications line open, without which we would not be here" said Misato evenly. "She also saved a lot of lives out there"

And with that Misato turned to the control panel, opening an outside shot of the fallen unit 00, battered and burned lying splayed across the devastated hill. Asuka turned back towards Shinji and Rei.

"Oh.. I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me.." she said simply "Rei. Of corse I'm glad to see your alright, looks like you had it tough" Asuka finished by giving her a warm smile. Everyone in earshot was dumbfounded, even Rei looked perplexed, what was this? Asuka looked around her, seeing only silly expressions she put on her classic annoyed town.

"What? Can't a girl say she's sorry around her, can't I praise a fellow pilot!?" she ended with her arms crossed, feet apart defensively. Rei moved, and the two pilots let go of each other, she turned to face Asuka "Its good to see you well again pilot Soryo" she said simply, a smile present on her face. Ritsuko, who had observed all the going on from the side, walked up behind Misato, a sly look in her face, and in that classic Ritsuko style she said.

"So its taken a small war to get the three acting like comrades, I hope we can count on a little more co-operation from now on" she finished. Ritsuko, turned back to the consoles and walked off smiling. The three pilots broke into smiles and Misato stood there, an unbelieving expression still on her face.

Now that medical help was arriving, the three young pilots found that they were simply getting in the way. After being checked over and bandaged up the three were dismissed, and told to wait for Misato near the geo-front entrance.

The three pilots got changed, Shinji was waiting up on the surface when Asuka and Rei appeared. Rei was filling in Asuka about what had happened so far. Shinji was amazed to see the two chatting so openly, but after what had happened the last week or so he soon got over it. The three went and sat under a tree, which was surprisingly still whole, having survived the fighting unscathed. Asuka listened intently as they told her everything, about the incident in the battle with Kaworu, how Shinji had formulated a plan against his father. Also how they had gone on that weekend trip, though both left out the bits surrounding Shinjis and Reis more intimate moments. Shinji having to interrupt Rei at first, but she soon got the hint

"Aww, why do I miss out on all the fun?" Asuka whined. Shinji said she could come on the next one laughingly. They also left out the contribution of the part angel Rei played in the experiment, Rei needing no prompting to gloss over this part. They continued to tell all they knew about what SEELE as well as Gendos action after his time in unit 00. Asuka was bemused at the depth of deception, though she said she always thought there was more going on. Shinji finished by describing his and Reis battle before he came to aid Asuka, to which Asuka looked impressed, saying she never would have expected such things from Shinji. Shinji, smiling, said that he had changed after seeing what he had seen in the Kaworu incident. Quietly Asuka also admitted that she could remember some things from her coma, like some kind of dream, though she stopped her explanation there. Looking more solemn she raised her head to face Shinji, saying suddenly that she thought that her mothers soul was in unit 02, something she had only realised in the last battle. Shinji, momentarily stunned, suddenly came to the realisation that his mothers soul must also be trapped in unit 01. The coincidences were simply too many, he thought back rapidly over all the experiences he had had in the Eva. He was lost in his own thoughts when Asuka asked Rei whose soul she thought was trapped in unit 00, perhaps her mothers? Shinji coming back to reality, giving Rei a concerned look. She simply stated she didn't know, and couldn't remember much from her childhood.

Asuka, unaware but with slight concern in her voice, suggested that perhaps Gendo could tell them more next time they all meet. Shinji and Rei exchanged glances. Eager to change topics, they started chatting about Toji, Hikari and Kensuka when suddenly a NERV van, driven by Misato, appeared in front of them. Shinji looked down and realised they had been talking for 3 hours! All climbed into the van, and Misato sped off home. They passed numerous checkpoints on the way into and through what was left of the city, the U.N forces had either fled or surrendered but precautions were still being taken. Misato said that the situation was now well in hand and that most NERV staff were now on leave to recuperate after the last 24 hours, though Gendo, Fuyuzuki and Ritsuko were still working triple overtime as expected. They arrived at Reis place when Misato suddenly announced that Rei was moving into the apartment next to theirs, and would be staying with them until it was arranged. Rei and Shinji broke into a smile and after some confused expressions, as if not believing her own thoughts, so did Asuka.

"Why not?" she said to herself. They gathered Reis possessions, an act that took a pitifully short time, and made their way back to Misatos. They were all smiles as they opened the door, being greeted by a hysterical PenPen. They had forgotten that he had been alone through all this commotion and he was worried sick. It took reassuring hugs and constant patting from all of them for about ½ an hour before he calmed down again. All chatted away happily while Rei and Shinji made dinner. Asuka asking Misato more questions, most of which she couldn't answer. This annoyed Asuka slightly but she brushed it off. Soon they were all gathered together at the table and all began to tuck into the massive mountain of food. Halfway through however Asuka stopped stuffing her face long enough to get a question out.

"So what do we think Commander Ikari is going to say tomorrow" she asked, while reaching for some strips of beef. Misato and Shinji exchanged glance, looking sidelong at Rei and then nodding slightly to each other in silent confirmation.

"The truth I think" said Misato, a little unsure.

"That should take quite a while" came the reply from Asuka which generated a short laugh from Shinji, Rei simply kept eating. Misato, smiling, continued.

"Yes it should be interesting" she said, her smile fading. She continued "Though something's may come as quite a shock"

Asuka looked suspicious but kept her cool and asked off hand.

"Shock, what shock?"

There was a pause as Misato formulated her words. Though then suddenly Rei spoke.

"What she is trying to say is that tomorrow we will most likely find out that I am not entirely human." Rei put down her chopsticks and raised her gaze to look at Asuka. Asuka looked a little taken aback, so she simply stared back.

"What?…. How? " Asuka asked.

"Rei can generate an AT field on her own, she does not require an Eva" Misato added. This struck home a little deeper and Asukas shock was a little more obvious. She then however must have noticed her own state, and her expression snapped to one of seriousness. In complete control of her voice she said.

"So are you an Angel?"

"I don't believe so" Rei said simply. Misato and Shinji looked at Asuka expectantly. She however kept her gaze firmly fixed on Rei. After a while she said.

"Are you for us or against us?"

"I don't understand" replied Rei.

"Are you" she paused "Rei Ayanami here to destroy mankind or save it?" she asked a little more accusingly. Shinji began to worry about were this line of questions was going.

"I do not wish to destroy mankind" said Rei.

"Will you fight the angels" Asuka asked again.

"If they threaten us" she looked around the room, at Shinji and Misato and then back at Asuka "then yes."

Shinji and Misato turned back to Asuka.

"Well that's enough for me" Asuka said cheerfully, and took a massive bite out of a loaf of bread, chewing away. She looked back up to see Shinji and Misato still staring at her.

"What?" she said.

"Well its just that… well the way you used to treat her and.. well now this" Shinji said, stammering slightly.

"Oh" she said surprised, turning to face Rei "I'm sorry about some of the things I said back then Rei" she didn't skip a beat " I wasn't quite myself back then, we're O.K now…. Right?" She asked, maintaining the dominant energy in her voice. Now however it was Misatos and Shinjis turn to looked shocked, and the didn't hide it.

"Certainly pilot Soryo" said Rei, ignoring the other two.

"That's good then" said Asuka with a big smile, which vanished when she saw Shinjis and Misatos expression.

"What! I'm not aloud to say sorry!" she yelled at Shinji. Who cringed as a reflex, though quickly turned to continue eating his food as coolly as possible.

"Not at all Asuka" he said hurriedly with a weak smile. At least some things were still almost the same.

Asuka gave a triumphant "Humph" and started to eat again, smiling to herself between chomps. Misato looked from one child to the other, a bemused look on her face, where was she? Looking down in front of her she saw a beer can. Grabbing it she took a massive swig. Slamming it back down on the table she closed her eyes, a smile appeared on her face. `strange days' she thought to her self.

"Well that's it. I'm off to have a bath" said Misato suddenly, and with that she stood up, grabbing her beer can and walked to the hall. Leaning back into the room she said.

"Hope you kids don't mind cleaning up"

And vanished before they could give an answer.

"That Misato" said Asuka annoyed. "She's always getting out of work"

"Yeh" said Shinji with a chuckle "Whish I'd thought of it"

This got a curious look from Asuka who watched Shinji eat for a little while.

"Actually Shinji isn't it your turn to do the dishes tonight?" she said innocently.

"Oh no you don't" said Shinji, without braking his attention off of his food "we all help tonight."

And he took another mouthful. Asuka, slightly annoyed, asked defiantly "And who made you the boss?"

"No one….." replied Shinji. "I just thought you would want to help your fellow pilots, anyway you wouldn't want us to think your turning lazy like Misato would you?"

He looked at her pleasantly. Asuka, unused to this side of Shinji, paused for a moment. She lent forward her eyes narrowing.

"That wouldn't be a smart remark from the second child I hope" she said, but without the extreme of her usual venom.

"I wouldn't dream of it" replied Shinji, with a disarming smile. He then started to stack the plates in front of him, and stood up, making his way to the kitchen. Asuka watched him go and turned to Rei who was still eating.

"Since when has Shinji grown a spine?" she asked offhand. Rei stoped eating and looked at Asuka, she paused for a second, a slightly confused look on her face.

"Since the battle with Kaworu there has been a change in Shinji.. and everyone at NERV….. Even you pilot Soryo" she said evenly. Asuka reflected for a second

"Hmmm… I think I like it" she said finally. She looked at Rei, who was not looking quite as cold as she had always used to look, but Asuka couldn't figure out why. Was it because Rei had changed? Or was it because Asukas perception of Rei had changed?

"Though don't tell Shinji that" Asuka added with a smile. Rei paused for a second, then simply said.

"If you like"

Giving her a smile for no reason at all. The three of them cleaned up happily, Asuka speculating wildly about the secrets to come out tomorrow, while Rei and Shinji simply listened. They finished up and found themselves in the living room. Asuka taking the chair while Shinji crashed on the sofa. Rei, arriving last, took a seat next to Shinji and leant up against him, though not really affectionately. Asuka looked at the pair out of the corner of her eye, a look of annoyance crossed her face, however before she could further speculate Misato entered the room.

"Well I don't know about you kids but I'm bushed, I reckon we all hit the hay" she said, rubbing her still wet hair with a towel while all three looked at her approvingly, in the last 5 minutes their energy had really started to fail.

"Are you happy to sleep on the couch tonight Rei" Misato asked. Before Rei could respond however Asuka suddenly interrupted.

"She can stay in my room Misato!" said Asuka. The other three turned to look at her, Misato and Shinji, a little taken aback.

"I have an extra mattress, it will be much better then sleeping out here" Asuka continued. She glanced over at Shinji, who Rei was still leaning on. She wasn't exactly clear about her thoughts, though she knew that she didn't want Rei alone out here tonight, and she also didn't want to be alone tonight either. Misato, to tired to be too surprised, turned to Rei.

"Are you happy with that Rei." she asked.

"That will be fine" Rei said simply. Misato turned to leave the room.

"Well come along Rei I will give you a spare set of sheets" said Misato and wandered off. Rei let out an exaggerated yawn and gave Shinji a quick smile.

"Goodnight Shinji-san" Rei said. She got up and followed Misato out of the room. Shinji was left sitting there contently. He looked across at Asuka who was watching him coolly, frankly too tired to be intimidated he gave her a week smile.

"So you and the first, ha?" Asuka asked completely normal. Shinji, leaning back, looked at her, he couldn't help but feel a little uncomfortable, though it wasn't through fear, it was something else.

"Ah well… I'm not really sure" he stammered "it just sort of happened" he said.

"So is it serious?" Asuka asked, turning her head slightly to fake a little disinterest.

"Well I care for her" he said slowly "I don't really know, I think it makes her happy… She really has had a tough life so far" he said finally. Asuka looked down at he floor tiredly.

"Yes" she said quietly. "We all have in one way or another."

She was too tired to hide the sorrow in her voice well. She lifted herself out of her chair and made her way to the door. Shinji digested the new information and quickly stood up.

"Asuka" he called after her, she turned around at the doorway "It really is good to have you back" he said, and smiled warmly. Asuka also put on a tired but honest smile.

"Good night Shinji"

"Goodnight Asuka" replied Shinji, and with that she left the room. Shinji looked around at the apartment, a satisfied smile on his face, it was good to be home. Making his way to his room he closed the door behind him, then collapsed face down on his bed. Too tired to undress, he pulled the covers over him roughly, turning over he looked with half open eyes at the ceiling. His last thoughts before drifting of to sleep with a smile was, `another familiar ceiling'.

Over in Asukas room the girls were also quickly preparing for bed. Asuka had already changed into her pyjamas when Rei entered in her usual night ware, a shirt and underwear. Asuka sat on her bed. Now that she thought about it she had never seen Rei in any other clothes other then her school uniform.

"Don't you have any other clothes?" Asuka asked inquisitively.

"These are all that I require." Rei said simply, kneeling next to her bed. Asuka watched her for a second.

"Needed? Have you never wanted anything else?" Asuka asked after a short while.

"Wanted?" said Rei softly, she stayed still, contemplating the idea, she was lost in thought. Asuka watched her. Decided that if she was going to give living next to Rei a real go, she was going to have to somehow help make her normal, and she would be damned if she was going to let Shinji screw it up. Asuka made a decision.

"Rei…. You, me and Misato are going to have to go and buy new clothes for you as soon as possible" Asuka said determinedly. Rei, distracted from her thought patterns, turned to face Asuka, saying.

"That is not necessary."

Asuka half expecting that answer, but she nevertheless had to fight down her annoyance until she said in a relatively normal tone.

"I know it's not necessary, but I would like to"

Rei remembered her earlier help from Shinji, and looked at Asuka evenly, Asuka was now smiling expectantly.

"Thank You pilot Soryo" she said finally, offering a tired smile, then laying herself down on the bed. Asuka was a little stunned by the smile but then was pleased with herself.

"Well that's settled then" She said triumphantly, and fell back onto her bed, leaning over to turn off the last light. The room went dark, with the moonlight from the window give everything a blue ting. Asuka lay there thinking about the smile she had just received from Rei. `So she didn't only hand it out to the Ikaris' Asuka thought. `Shinji obviously wasn't such a bad influence. Though he could only do so much' Asuka thought to herself.

It was up to her to teach Rei the finer points of being a woman, she smiled to herself, it would be good, plus she thought, she might begin to actually like the new Rei. Asuka lay there for a while, enjoying the feeling of general content-ness, a feeling she had not had in some time.

She continued thinking about the days events, her victory with Shinji, she blushed slightly as she remembered kissing him briefly, and the joy afterwards of seeing everyone still O.K. She also remembered the surprise of seeing Shinjis and Reis closeness, it had rubbed her the wrong way, and again just then, did she really have feelings for Shinji?

`Naa' she thought to herself. Even though he had changed a lot… She puzzled about it a little more before curiosity got the better of her.

"Rei" she said softly, without thinking about it.

"Yes" came the reply from the mattress on the floor. Asuka, a little shocked that she had actually spoken aloud, was unprepared to ask a question.

"Ummm… why did you kiss Shinji?" she finally blurted out the assumption, immediately embarrassed by the forward and odd question. Rei, in her bed, did not move, seemingly in thought for a while

"Because, I wanted to show him…. that I care for him" she answered finally. Asuka contemplated this for a while, not sure if she wanted to continue.

"Are the two of you going out?" she asked finally.

"I'm not sure what you mean, going out?" Rei replied. And suddenly it struck Asuka, it was not an act with Rei, there was no manipulation, just a simple genuine nature. Asuka turned to look down at the dozing girl, studying her for a second. She suddenly felt a little ashamed for having treated her so badly for so long, but this was something she was going to change. Shinji may be caring but she doubted he had changed enough to no longer be incompetent! She, Asuka Soryo Langley was going to help Rei Ayanami!

"Don't worry Rei-san……. Good night" she said sweetly, then turned over.

"Good night pilot Soryo" replied Rei, and almost immediately fell asleep.

Authors notes:

[[There you go, the first section, not to bad I hope, and now that the story's set-up is done its time for more fun character development and more action! ;)]]